Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War. Another great story based on Frederick now Collins colly writing book, The FBI in Peace and War, Drummer Phill's Action Tonight's story.
Speaker 2: The executive type.
Speaker 1: And here is the gold clip with the jade centerpiece. This design is exclusive with us this season.
Speaker 2: You like that, Beverly, Oh Walter, it's just exquisite.
Speaker 3: Can I put it on?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: It will look very dramatic with the young lady's dark hair.
Speaker 4: Oh you want to take that one?
Speaker 2: How much is that?
Speaker 1: But that would be three hundred and fifty five including the text water.
Speaker 2: That's all right, we'll take it. Oh, very good, sir? Is that a charge?
Speaker 1: And the young lady?
Speaker 2: You'll wear it? Yes, sir, Oh Walder, it's.
Speaker 3: The most beautiful thing I ever saw.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess you've got to get back to rehearsal now, don't you.
Speaker 2: It's two o'clock.
Speaker 5: Two o'clock.
Speaker 3: Oh, it can't be on. He'll kill me. We're going to break in a new routine this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Well, you run along, Beverly, but I haven't even said that's all right?
Speaker 3: Go on now, all right, I'll see you tonight, mother.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, darling.
Speaker 2: Bye, that's three hundred and fifty five.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, here you are, Thank you, sir. I'll have your change in a moment. You have a phone I could use, of course, sir. You can use that one in the boot right over there.
Speaker 6: It's for our customers.
Speaker 2: Thank you lot at all, sir.
Speaker 1: Hello, try State Insurance Company Extension four or two. Please hello, Jerry, it's me Waller. Uh is the boss looking for me? Yeah? Well, uh listen Jerry stalm will you're telling me you saw me down in the claims division and I'll be right after.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jerry, thanks a lot. I'll do the same for you sometimes. Be that ten minutes. Here's your change, sir. Oh, thanks a lot at tall. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: And I hope the young lady will be happy with the clip.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I do too.
Speaker 7: I hope she'll be happy with her. At the time that Walter Minis began his career of forgery and impersonation, he was employed as a bookkeeper with a large.
Speaker 1: Casualty insurance company. Minnis was a bachelor forty years old, with an uneventful background, few friends, and seemingly very few interests. He was quite spoken, well dressed, and, when necessary, could assume an air of importance. In short, Walter Minis could easily pass as the executive type. Alright, girls, I'll do it, and look, I don't want anybody late for the dinner show? Do you understand?
Speaker 6: Nobody?
Speaker 1: Oh, Beverly, I want to see you in the office.
Speaker 5: Arnie, I'm sorry, I was labors, Ernie, cut it out? Were you supposing somebody came in?
Speaker 1: How come he will late?
Speaker 3: He took me to carters after lunch. Look, Arnie sawid gold I much.
Speaker 2: If that shot him back three hundred and fifty five?
Speaker 1: Not bad. You're really gonna have a trunk full of that stuff before you get through?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess so, Arnie. Eh, when am I through?
Speaker 3: M with Walter? Honest? Sometimes I can't take it, all that pawing and stuff like a high school kid or something. What are you gonna do about him?
Speaker 1: Did you find out anything more?
Speaker 2: Is he married?
Speaker 5: No? But I did find out he lives in Boston and he makes his money out of the stock market.
Speaker 3: That's why he comes to New York every couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: You're pretty sure he isn't married.
Speaker 5: He doesn't act like the married ones. Selma was telling me maybe the club's going to close.
Speaker 3: Is she just talking?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: No, she's right for once. That's why I want to figure out something on water.
Speaker 3: I could hawk all the stuff he gave me. It's about three or four thousand.
Speaker 2: Well that's peanuts, beb.
Speaker 1: If I want to get out of this town someday go to the coast, open a spot on my own.
Speaker 2: It'll take a lot of door sure will.
Speaker 1: How about you'll marrying water? What I've been thinking about it? Guy like that could give you a nice allowance. And then while I was setting up a spot on.
Speaker 3: The coast, we're not serious?
Speaker 2: Why not you could stick.
Speaker 1: With them till I started catching on. Then you could go to Reno and shake him, maybe even get a nice uncle of alimony.
Speaker 3: Which the matter with that, I don't know. I never figured on anything like that.
Speaker 2: Well, so figure on it.
Speaker 1: Do an he throw his door on you get easy? Get three four hundred a week allowance.
Speaker 3: I guess i'd have to live in Boston, wouldn't I?
Speaker 2: So it's only temporary.
Speaker 3: Who kids, I'd miss you, Arnie.
Speaker 2: We could talk on the telephone.
Speaker 3: Woudn't you miss me? Of course? I guess Boston wouldn't be too bad for a while.
Speaker 1: Anyway, nothing's too bad if money comes with it.
Speaker 3: I guess you're right on He's sure.
Speaker 1: I'm right anyway, every girl should get married at least once when the right bank account comes in love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 2: Jes one on the phone? I think it is the same guy, a regular past. I should take him here. Okay, in two hours.
Speaker 1: He's got a call you on the phone.
Speaker 5: I wish I didn't have to see him tonight, Arnie.
Speaker 3: Do I have to?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to go ahead talk Okay, Hello, water darling, how are you?
Speaker 1: In January nineteen fifty one, and audit of the books of the Tri State Insurance Company uncovered the loss of thirty eight thousand dollars. Since the company's business covered more than one state, the matter was turned over to our bureau by local authorities. In an interview with the head bookkeeper of the company, we began to suspect forgery as a part of the embezzlement. Mister Matthews, would you look at this bank statement for October?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Do you see those withdraws that we've marked in blue pencil? Yes, I say, we've been over all of your October checks, mister Matthews, and we can't find any which correspond to those withdraws.
Speaker 2: I don't see how that could be.
Speaker 1: Neither it we, mister Matthews, especially since all your checks are numbered and there aren't any missing that Obviously, no one could take money out of the bank but out.
Speaker 2: A check, That's right.
Speaker 1: So we've come to an equally obvious conclusion. Someone forged those checks then destroyed the forgeries after they were returned here to the company. Do you think that's possible, mister Matthews. How many employees are there in this book keeping department, just under one hundred ninety six, savely, and how many would have access to a company checkbook? Well, actually only a half dozen. But I suppose anyone could get hold of company checks if he tried hard enough. Well, our present belief is that someone did, mister Matthews. Someone cashed those amounts underlined in blue pencil, then somehow destroyed the cancel checks before they could be into on the books. That would probably be someone in my department, we do you think so? We'd like to see your personnel records on all of these employees, mister Matthews, as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: This land, This land was made for you. It's a nice place to visit. An eighteen million, six hundred two thousand people copy wrong. They think it's a nice place to live too. Some live up north, in the shadow of Mount Tomapias, where the fog rolls in like ghostly tumbleweed to envelop the Golden gate Bridge. Some live down south, in the shadows of the movie Giants, where the small rolls in to envelope everything. All of them live in California, a magic state. But this magic isn't merely the result of the magic lantern. It was present long before the first director shouted action, even before John Marshall whispered gold. California's magic lies largely in its contrast. Here, entire fields blow yellow with poppies or live barren in waste. Here, the temperature may rise to one hundred thirty four degrees or spink to forty five below. Here we find the highest point of the United States outside of Alaska, Mount Whitney, and the lowest Death Valley. Here is the serenity of the missions and the near madness of the freeways. California's many facets give its residents an attitude described by old Henry, Californians are a race of people. They are not merely inhabitants of a state.
Speaker 1: As we were beginning along and detailed check up on the financial background and habits of all the employees of the bookkeeping department, Waltervenis was continuing his pose as a wealthy stockbroker, but like many non professionals in crime and this's success, made him careless after a while. You're sure, mister walder Minister isn't registered here at the hotel for quite sure, and he never has been, not for the last year's Oh thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
Speaker 3: But I don't get it on he why'd you go to the hotel?
Speaker 1: Don't you want to marry the guy? I wanted to find out just how much do we had to night? Well?
Speaker 3: How much? I bet it's play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure he's loaded. No he's not.
Speaker 1: He's nothing about a lousy bookkeeper for an insurance company. You don't come from postony, you don't trade in stocks and finds.
Speaker 2: He's nothing about a two bit fourth plessure, Honie.
Speaker 1: How do you know I followed him to the insurance company after he left you today, That's how he was just putting on an act for you.
Speaker 3: Well, how do you like that?
Speaker 6: I thought?
Speaker 3: And all of that jewelry any way to get the.
Speaker 2: Money, That's what I can't figure out.
Speaker 5: And all this time I've been wasting on him six months for nothing.
Speaker 1: Maybe it wasn't wasted. You just said, yea, yeah, he's a phony, all right, But he did you? Did you close the fourth grand with the stuff? He's gotta be getting a go from someplace from the way, Hello, I don't know, but that's something we're gonna find out.
Speaker 3: Oh, my bother. If you ask, maybe we should.
Speaker 1: I told you I want to get out of this towel. I need money, you know.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's stealing it from someplace.
Speaker 2: Annie, Maybe he is.
Speaker 3: How would you find out?
Speaker 1: He's supposed to be taking you out to the racist Saturday afternoon, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little call.
Speaker 1: For you at your place.
Speaker 2: I'll show you.
Speaker 1: How to handle a fourth flush.
Speaker 2: You like that?
Speaker 1: Good morning, miss James.
Speaker 2: How are we after the races?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Hello, Walter, come on in beautiful.
Speaker 2: Day, isn't it. Look I've got the racing farm. We can pick our winners on the way out.
Speaker 3: That's great. Sit out a minute, Walter, well.
Speaker 1: It's ten thirty, but I believe Well, I don't wanna be late, do.
Speaker 3: We We're not going to the races.
Speaker 2: I wanna off to you when I'm going.
Speaker 3: Now, Water, were you serious when you said you wanted to marry me a couple of weeks ago?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Of course, Beverly, I.
Speaker 3: Been used for money.
Speaker 4: Water?
Speaker 3: What we were going to live on?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, don't tell me you're worried about money, Beverly. Yeah, I'm no genius, but I can always manage to steal a little spare change from the stock market.
Speaker 3: From someplace else?
Speaker 1: H what?
Speaker 5: Or maybe we can live on the door you get from keeping books at the Tri State Insurance Company.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, Beverly.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about a poor plush who's been giving me the business these last six months. That's what I'm talking about, A great, big blowhod who never got me nearer to the stock markets and a subway ride to Wall Street.
Speaker 2: I think you'd better explain that statement.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have to explain it the other one who's gonna do explaining?
Speaker 2: Mister?
Speaker 1: What was the idea of giving this girl a sales talk? Tell her all that stuff about your family in Boston. You haven't got any family inforcet on liview just a minute, who are you, brend the Beverly's. You haven't got any family in Boston, just a stick and bookie. Why aren't you answer him?
Speaker 2: Walter? Look, I don't have to stand for this. Oh yes, sit a wise guy.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna get out of here just yet.
Speaker 2: Take your hands on me, said Walter.
Speaker 3: Sit, you'd better do what he says.
Speaker 2: That's better.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna talk Waler, and you're gonna tell me the truth about a lot of things, Beverly. Never mind, you ain't gonna help you, Beverly.
Speaker 5: If I ever meant anything anything, how do you like that all you meant to me with a meal ticket.
Speaker 2: That isn't true. I don't believe.
Speaker 3: I'll stop it. You make me sick.
Speaker 5: All I want out of you is an updough to set Honey up in business.
Speaker 3: On you get this over with. I don't even like looking at.
Speaker 2: Him, Beverly.
Speaker 1: All right, Waller, where'd you get the dough? You spent all those presents for her?
Speaker 4: I uh I I I had.
Speaker 2: It saved up.
Speaker 3: You'll give him another cloud, he'll remember.
Speaker 1: I will have to I'll just tell him. I might make a phone call to the District Attorney's office the DA. Maybe you want to investigate a certain water menace.
Speaker 2: I haven't got anything to hide.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have water.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is yet, but I'm gonna find out.
Speaker 2: I swear I haven't. I saved the money.
Speaker 1: I only look up the DA's phone number and look, Look, do.
Speaker 2: You want money? Is that what you want to bet?
Speaker 1: We want money?
Speaker 2: Where do you get yours?
Speaker 1: Water? How much do you want them on?
Speaker 2: Tell us where you get it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to call the cops, but how much? Where do you get it?
Speaker 2: I don't get much. I couldn't give you much. Tell a man, how much where do you get it?
Speaker 1: I write company checks. I make them out like they were for a claim adjustment. Go on, and after I cast them, I weight for them to come through from the bank, and when they come through, I get rid of them. That's a pretty smart stunt, Water, Beverly, Yeah, well, as you're gonna make us all a drink. We got a lot to talk about with water. As we continued checking financial backgrounds on the Tri State Employees Bank deposits in the name of Walter Minis attracted our attention. With no other visible source of income than his salary, Minns was banking as much as eight hundred to one thousand dollars a month. This land, this land was made.
Speaker 2: Will.
Speaker 4: Stay Pennsylvania, and he took care of Philadelphia. The Liberty Dell with Saturday evening posts. And Benjamin Franklin Distill with its steady floor of steel, or the Pennsylvania Dutch their homely philosophy and hardy meals. Seldom do we think of two of Pennsylvania's most renowned sons, probably because they concerned themselves more with the South than with their native state. Daniel Boone, for instance, was born in Burke's County, but he blazed such a trail throughout the South in the West that the place of his birth is all but forgotten. And Stephen Foster his birthplace was Lawrenceville, though he longed for his old Kentucky home and claimed that he came from Alabama with his banjo on his knees. The next time we count that Pennsylvania has bookbinders and Hershey bars, and the world's largest potato chip factory, we might also recall what the Keystone state has given to the rest of America, James Buchanan and the United States Flag, little League Baseball and professional football, and Gettysburg, a final resting place dedicated in virtue, liberty, and independence for those who gave their lives that our nation might live.
Speaker 1: One whole month and only gives us a lofty thousand bucks. Didn't you tell them what I said?
Speaker 2: Doubly?
Speaker 3: Sure, I tell them what I said. He's gotta get more money. You'll turn him over to the car.
Speaker 1: So what do you say?
Speaker 5: Uh, the same old crying act, all about how could I deceive him?
Speaker 3: How much he loved me? Oh, Honnie, I'm sick of.
Speaker 2: This whole routine. We could he eat toy?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know, bet, I'll tell you what you hit him for five gees moore. We'll quit, go to the coast and see what we can take up there.
Speaker 2: How about it?
Speaker 3: You mean it, honey? Sure you can lay it.
Speaker 2: On the line. This. Tell him we'll take.
Speaker 1: The fire and won't bother no more.
Speaker 3: And if he says no.
Speaker 1: I don't think he will Beverly, just keep in minding him. There's that ten years in jail hanging over his head.
Speaker 3: He'll start crying again.
Speaker 2: You can stand a little crying for a train ride west, can't you.
Speaker 3: I guess so it's good.
Speaker 1: We'll get the work on it. A course, surveillance on Walter Menis gave us the proof we needed. Menis was picked up while catching a company check made out for a fictitious insurance claim. During the long night of questioning, Minies admitted very little about his elaborate scheme, but he did seem greatly concerned about another aspect of his arrest.
Speaker 2: I'd just like to know who turned me in.
Speaker 1: That's all, mister Minis. I've told you several times. No one turned you in. We've been watching you for a long time.
Speaker 2: That's a lie. She did it. She said she was going to if I didn't get her a five thousand. Who are you talking about, mister Minnis.
Speaker 1: You'll know, all right, just yesterday she said she was going to do it. She wouldn't believe me when I said I couldn't get all that money at once.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't wait. Mister Minis, she's no good. I should have known that she was lying to me, lying.
Speaker 1: The whole time to Menis, what are you talking about.
Speaker 2: I want to see a lawyer. I want a lawyer to get me out on bail. You can't hold me like this, mister Minis. You'll have a lawyer.
Speaker 1: You'll undoubtedly be granted bail.
Speaker 2: Now, will you answer my question?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: I refuse to talk any further until I consult my lawyer. I know why, writes mister Reynolds. Walter Minis was released on bail while awaiting trial. He was forbidden to leave the judicial district where the trial was to be held, but one afternoon he took a train to a nearby city.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who is it, oh boy, ma'am? Tw are you hell? Beverly?
Speaker 3: Walter?
Speaker 1: I heard the club was closed, so I went down there and they told me you'd be here in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Can I come in? I taught you I'm not on bail. I like to talk to you, Beverly.
Speaker 3: There's nothing for us to talk about, Walter.
Speaker 2: I think there is, Beverly.
Speaker 5: Hone's is gonna come to me in a few minutes. I don't think you'll like it if he find you here.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sure he won't.
Speaker 1: He don't ever like to see me unless I've got money for him.
Speaker 2: Beverly. Why did you turn me over to the police? Why did you turn me over to the police. I was trying to get the five thousand dollars for you if you'd only been patient.
Speaker 3: Are you mind? I didn't train you over to the police.
Speaker 2: Yes you did, And I just want to know, why do you hate me, Beverly to be an idiot? I didn't g you did? Was it Annie's idea?
Speaker 3: Use your head when you're why should we?
Speaker 2: Did you pretty nice when I had money? Didn't I? Beverly?
Speaker 3: Of course you did, Walter.
Speaker 2: A butch of lots of beautiful jewelry and things like that. Didn't I want to.
Speaker 3: Put that girl away?
Speaker 2: Didn't I?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: Did you like a person I was going to marry? Gave me the best of everything?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did?
Speaker 3: Water loney guns, give me the creep?
Speaker 2: Why did you turn me over to the police.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to believe me.
Speaker 1: You're no good, Beverly. The world is better off without your kind.
Speaker 3: You gotta believe me.
Speaker 2: Much better off. I don't care what happens.
Speaker 6: To me now, is Darling? Listen to me?
Speaker 2: Way, get your hands off me. I don't even like you anymore. Kind of question. Just doesn't deserve to live, That's all.
Speaker 3: Listen, Darling, I didn't turn you. I didn't want to. It was Annie's.
Speaker 2: I think it was you.
Speaker 3: You gotta believe me.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you stop him?
Speaker 3: I tried to, honest, I didn't. He wanted more money.
Speaker 2: That's cool, it is it's let him in. Let him in, Beverly.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm late. She just told me it was your idea to turn me over to the police. Any was it was? It was?
Speaker 3: It wasn't, honey. I didn't know it. Well, I didn't. I didn't you.
Speaker 6: I know you didn't.
Speaker 2: Open lying just to save yourself.
Speaker 3: He turned me in.
Speaker 2: Beverly.
Speaker 6: I know it, honey, Honey, I can talk to you quick.
Speaker 1: I Walter Minis returned from Philadelphia and surrendered to the District Attorney's office, giving complete details of his shooting of Beverly James. Fortunately for minus, Miss James recovered from the single pistol shot and Minis was not faced with the charge of murder. He was, however, convicted for the criminal assault, and this charge, along with his forgeries, added to a total of thirty years in prison. Arnold Harris and Beverly James were convicted as accessories to Minnis's frauds and received terms of three years each. Our books are closed on Walter minis the executive type. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television Service of