Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Hope. Wow.
Speaker 1: Actually he's also a citizen of Peru. But what a day. And I don't think anybody has to be Catholic to really be intrigued by what we've been watching and what just culminated today with yeah, Pope Leo the fourteenth. And I got to tell you, having grown up back there south side, southwest side, it just unimaginable that we would have a pope from Chicago, not that there have been a ton of great priests, you know. I spent four years in the Catholic seminary back there at the same time that the new pope was in a Catholic seminary.
Speaker 2: What was kind of weird was.
Speaker 1: His parish was just about three four miles down the road from the.
Speaker 2: High school seminary I went to.
Speaker 1: But instead of going to our seminary quickly south, he then went up to Michigan to Saint Augustine up in Michigan, so yeah, if he'd just gone to his local seminary, we would have been in there together. He would have been a couple of years ad, but we would have been in there together. But just mind blowing to think of somebody from the South Side now becoming pope. But hey, anything's possible, right, anything's possible in America and uh and in the Catholic church three or three someone three, you know, that's that's what happens when you're off for a few days. Thank you, Thank you so much to Shareff Reims and to KBB and Da Heidi for filling in while I was in trial. And obviously they do a great job, and they're going to be hopefully doing a great job again the week after next, because I'm back in trial the week after next.
Speaker 2: But we'll enjoy this time with you in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Three all three seven to one three A two five five, as they say in English text d an five seven seven three nine.
Speaker 2: So anxious to get your thoughts on.
Speaker 1: Everything that's been happening during this week that I have been away in trial. And I just love going to trial down in Colorado Springs. I'll pass so and just a wonderful experience down there, so great to see everybody down in the springs. Some brutal early spring weather right or I guess mid spring weather down there, but it was still absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to get your take on, Hey, what do you want.
Speaker 1: From this pope? Whether you're Catholic or not, what do you want from this pope? I'd really be intrigued to hear from me on that, because I think we all know that the reality is, no matter what somebody's denomination is, or maybe somebody's no faith at all or some other faith not Christian, you know, in the end, there's no denying that the pope takes on a world leadership role. And it depends the extent obviously on the pope. You look at John Paul the Great and I think he just goes down as one of the great leaders in human history, you know, regardless of you know, the position in this case pope. And then you have other popes who have less global impact or at least less obvious global impact.
Speaker 2: But what do you want from this pope?
Speaker 1: I'd love to get your take on that, whether you're Catholic or not faithful or not whatever. Would love to get your take on what you want from this Pope three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine, And I think you'll find his background pretty interesting. Excuse me as we get into that conversation. They call him the Latin Yankee and Robert Francis Prevost. He was born on September fourteenth of nineteen fifty five Mercy Hospital in Chicago.
Speaker 2: His dad a World War Two vet dad in the Navy. Spanish origin.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, he was he was just at Saint Mary of Assumption on the south side of Chicago, and that's now closed. And then, as I said, while I was a quickly south prep seminary, he was up at Saint Augustine in Michigan. Interesting, both of our seminaries closed soon after we graduated, and then my seminary became a Catholic high school, Saint Rita. And then that now Pope came back to teach at Saint Rita, so he was actually teaching at the place where I went high school. We had to be there together when Pope John Paul the Second came and said Mass at my high school. I'm sure we were there at the same time, but he would have been there then as a senior seminary and I was in seminary for four years during high school years. So Cubs fan and an active tennis player. So here's my take on the pope, and I really would love to get yours, particularly if you're you're not Catholic, I'd love to get your take on him.
Speaker 2: My bet is he has to be spectacular.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Pope John Paul, the second spectacular qualities to have been elected pope because you have to think there'd be such a bias against any American born pope. There must just be spectacular qualities for this to have happened. Now, I was just talking to Jimmy Seckenberger when he was on the way out. Yeah, right, that just the second non European pope. So yeah, there's got to be some spectacular qualities here. So I'm really excited. I'm really excited to see what he brings to the table because you know, my and I understand, if somebody's not Catholic, they have their own perception of maybe a quote typical Catholic priest. And if somebody is Catholic, I guess depending upon what part of the country they're and they have their own kind of stereotype or norm, let's say norm. But I got to tell you, as a guy who is fortunate to grow up in Chicago in that archdiocese and be taught by those priests during seminary years, and my uncle's a priest, we're going to try to get him on the show today see if he knows the pope. I mean, come, my uncle's been a Catholic priest in Chicago for a long time. He's ninety three, and he's does three masses a week and he still packs the house for him and because he's really good, he gives great homilies, and he's always understood. He's always understood. You know, hey, life's busy for everybody. Have about a seven minute homily, make a key point, tell a joke, and get out of dodge.
Speaker 2: And so he.
Speaker 1: Still packs the house for his masses. So we'll try to get him on the show and see what he knows of the new Pope.
Speaker 2: And if he doesn't know him himself.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he knows a bunch of guys who do, particularly if the new pope's a golfer. So threebout three someone three eight two five five Text d An five, seven, seven, three nine. But the point of all that is, you know, for me, a guy grew up in Chicago, Catholic seminary in Chicago, and then knowing the priests I know here in Denver, my.
Speaker 2: Experience with priests is just an.
Speaker 1: Awful lot of you know, cool guys, smart guys, you know, guys who could have done anything but just decided, hey, you know, they're going to serve God, and just you know, really cool guys to be around. And so my guess is that he is one of those guys, and assuming that the pope is that can do so much good for the church worldwide, and also you have just so much good for the world in terms of leadership, et cetera. So that's my bet is that there's something really really really special for him to have overcome the American born thing, and that we're going to see that, and we're going to see that in the form probably of a you know, a younger, more active, more physically active pope than maybe people normally envisioned more along the model of John Paul the Second. So I'm optimistic, can't wait and would love to get your take on this. This text says Dan, I am not Catholic, but I'd like him to hold fast to biblical values and not be with the politics politics more like John Paul, less like Pope Francis. You know, I'm not agreeing with that criticism of Pope Francis, but I get the reference to John Paul the Second right, because Yeah, that was someone that I think lots of people from around the world who weren't Catholic could relate to get interested in. And that's part of the calling, right that that's part of what Christ wants us to do. So I have a feeling this Pope is going to be a particularly good messenger like that. In terms of the quote weoll politics, yeah, I would be. I would fully expect him to be very pro basic human dignity of immigrants, whether they're legal immigrants or not, and as I think he should be right, I mean, I think all of us should be respecting the basic human dignity of everybody, including those who might want to come into a country legally. That doesn't mean they should, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to That's not the point. And if somebody's just an awful, add criminal type person, you know, well then obviously you've got that that has to be dealt with practically as well. But in terms of the inherent human dignity we all have because we're created by God, Yeah, I expect he'll speak strongly to that.
Speaker 2: But here's the key, right, here's the key.
Speaker 1: It's like the Colorado bishops have been so articulate and so strong and making it clear that right, you know, folks, immigrants, including illegal immigrants, they're still children God, they have this basic human dignity. But a country is allowed to have its borders, a country must be allowed to enforce its laws. There are lots of challenging problems that come with unfederately legal immigration. A nation has a right to have an orderly process, and so I think the Catholic Bishops of Colorado have spoken perfectly to this in a way that I would expect is acceptable to the vast majority of folks who, let's say, agree with the Republican Party platform on illegal immigration. But at the same time that the bishops, you know, acknowledge and strongly acknowledge that basic human dignity. So it'll be very interesting to see and where this Pope comes down on some of the specifics. But my expectation is that we'll be much closer to the really wise stance taken by the Colorado Catholic bishops and while still respecting that inherent human dignity. So it's uh, I'm really optimistic about what's to come.
Speaker 2: Much more to talk about as well. I mean, again, i've been in trial.
Speaker 1: We haven't had a chance to talk about the DOJ suit against Colorado, the DOJ suit against Denver. Will zero in on that specifically and much more ahead. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kapla Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Three h three.
Speaker 1: So when three eight two five five the number techs d A N five seven seven three nine. And as a Catholic, obviously a huge day as we have the new pope. But as a guy who grew up on the South Side of Chicago, then the Southwest Side and went to Catholic seminary in Chicago, particularly intrigued fellow Chicagoan who was in minor seminary at the same time, I would somehow ended up as pope. I'm yeah, wow, just absolutely unimaginable to me, but very cool because I beting he is uber uber talented or would not have been able to overcome the American born thing. We'll have some great sound from President Trump talking about how exciting, excited he is and what a great honor it is for America to have an American born pope. Obviously, any pope then just becomes kind of a citizen of the world. And if we wanted to get philosophical, right, I mean, we're all just citizens of heaven. But yeah, but how cool to have somebody, you know, from Chicago and American, though also a Peruvian citizen, became a citizen of Peru as he spent I think he spent about twenty years there. So, whether you're Catholic or not religious or not, what do you want to see from this new pope. We're also going to talk about to me, one of the most mind blowing things I've ever seen happen in almost thirty years on air, and it should be one of those cut through the noise moments that causes that the people of Colorado to just really take notice of how truly psycho that's an understatement. The left in Colorado has become that Denver is pulling the license plate readers because they're afraid that it will lead to illegal immigrants being detained. I mean, imagine that you could not have a clearer example of the choice that the Colorado Democratic Party has made between citizens of the state and people here illegally, just as the Democratic Party Colorado has made a clear choice between criminals and non criminals. And it's just again, it's almost unimaginable, right, But they're so brazen about it. I understand this is a Denver example, but we have so many state wide examples, including bills that have just passed the legislature, where there's this clear choice in one example, in favor of criminals and against the innocent, and in another example, in favor of people here illegally and against people here legally. And to cap it all off, in the most obscene, immoral abuse of public power, repeated clear choices in favor of people here illegally who have committed serious crimes and against innocent citizens. I mean, you wouldn't believe it if it was in a novel, right, But it is what is actually happening in Colorado. And the Democratic Party obviously feels and you tell me if you think they're right, but they obviously feel that they are electorally bulletproof. It's not going to make any difference whatsoever when they run against the Republican opponent.
Speaker 2: And the reason they do it.
Speaker 1: In part is because the big money for Democrat candidates, the big money they need to win primaries in statewide offices, comes from the hardcore secular left. And if they want to get that big money from the hardcore secular left, they have to do these insane things that are societal suicide. And then you see the societal suicide play out right.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at Denver.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking about some more of those stats today, Michael Brown on six point thirty kitchen. I mean, Denver had a tremendous couple of segments on this this morning, you know, just documenting Denver now most recent study third in crime Colorado third and crime in the US. And it just fits with all of these other stats, confirming what common sense would tell you that if you have the kind of laws that the left is imposed in Colorado, now you do those things, well, then the state is going to go steadily downhill. And it's just like going bankrupt, right to go bankrupt slowly and then all at once, And that is the clear trajectory Colorado is on now.
Speaker 2: As awful as the left is.
Speaker 1: They cannot overnight just make our amazing natural, God given beauty disappear, or our tremendous weather disappear, or our amazingly favorable geographic location disappear. They can't make all that just disappear. But they can make this place as bad as it could possibly be given all of the natural advantages we have. And it is clearly headed that direction. But are they right that the voters they just don't care. I mean they care, they don't like it, this and that, But that doesn't mean they're going to vote for the Republican.
Speaker 2: Is that where we're at right now?
Speaker 1: Because that is their bet, that is their bet they can get away with anything, because no matter what, the voters are not going to elect Republicans statewide. Love your take on that? Three or three someone three eight two five five texts d An five seven seven three nine. Personally, I think what they're doing is immoral, and I think that they which to some of them.
Speaker 2: Won't matter right because to me, this is one.
Speaker 1: Of the most disheartening things about what has happened to the Democratic Party in America when I was part of it and I grew up in it, and my parents, most of my extended family, all my extended family in the Chicago area, they're all Democrats. But I grew up when most Democrats and the Democratic Party were faith based. And now the Democratic Party is largely controlled by hardcore seculars who are actively hostile toward faith, and in particular the Christian faith and the Catholic Christian faith.
Speaker 2: So you get that going. And those those kind of.
Speaker 1: People, I mean secular, they don't care often about whether it's moral or not.
Speaker 2: That just doesn't make any difference to them.
Speaker 1: So, but what you have right now is this situation where they have bet the voters of Colorado just are not going to vote Republican no matter what. I think they've overplayed their hand, and I think the right GOP candidates because we've got a governor's race and a Senate race that normally, under normal conditions would be full throttle right now, right, it'd just be going crazy right now, But there's very little interest because nobody thinks the Republican can win. And I think that the left has overplayed its hand. You know, right candidate right campaign rights support, which means listen, nobody can win right short of the Good Lord coming down himself, and Boyd with the Colorado Democratic Party oppose him.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Short of the Good Lord coming down, it's say himself.
Speaker 1: No GOP candidate can win without a unified Republican party, without a unified Republican voter block in Colorado.
Speaker 2: But I do.
Speaker 1: Believe if those stars align, Yeah, I think the Democrat could be beat, particularly given what appears to be their presumptive nominee Michael Bennett, not a Democrat, an Aristocrat and somebody I think the people of Colorado Wood reject would reject if they had the right alternative and the right campaign behind it. Love your thoughts on all that, including the new Pope. What do you want to see from the new Pope? And one of our favorite conservatives, Ty Winner, will join us after the break here on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Pope.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about that a bit, particularly since these from Chicago and we were in seminary at the same time.
Speaker 2: Back there was a couple of years ahead of me, but we were.
Speaker 1: At two different Catholic seminaries, which is weird because his parish assumption was just a few miles down the road from my seminary, But just mind blowing that does somebody from Chicago quis no pope, but I think he's going to be great.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's go to one of our favorite people.
Speaker 1: Assistant Minority Leader Ty Winter joins us again on the Dan Kapla Show. Ty, I'm pretty impressed that you're still saying. I mean, I can't imagine working down there and you have all of this just obnoxious, arrogant lunacy going on from the left. So what's your secret? Is it, Tony Robbins? Is it chemical? I mean, what do you do to stay sane down there?
Speaker 4: Oh, mister Kaplis. It's the people. And I don't mean that to sound cheesy.
Speaker 2: It's the truth.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you travel throughout these districts and you have hard work and good, honest people come up to you and say, hey, keep fighting and keep doing what you're doing. I think that's what drives most of us. At least that's what drives me. So I would say, it's the people and then trying to fight for what's right. I think that's one thing our caucus did this year. We were united in the fight. You know, like everybody, we have our little family arguments, but we found the way to stay united when we needed to, and we got a lot of things done. So I think it was a successful year for the Mighty twenty two and it was honored to stand with those twenty one other Republicans in the fight to save the soul of Colorado.
Speaker 1: Well, right, And I think if I remember the Bible, right, it's fight, the good fight, finished the race. It's not put more points on the board than the other side. In fact, many of the greatest figures in history, right, have been people who have fought the good fight against seemingly impossible odds. And the w may not have come during their season, but it helped pave the way for it. So what are the big highlights?
Speaker 4: You know, Whilst you know, we're really excited about being able to push off the Table resolution, I think, you know, people say that there's way more than them than us, and they had the votes to do what they wanted. But by us activating the public in the citizenry and having people reach out and write off BIS and then once we got the word out from the Caucus that they were coming after Tabor, I mean it activated the people of Colorado because you know, people are starting to realize that the Democrats use fees and enterprise is to skirt around tabor, and they see that they have priority problems in Colorado, and I don't think people wanted to give them the pin to their debit cards. So, you know, I think that was a win for us. I think, you know, as strong as we fought even though we weren't able to kill them, as strong as we fought for parental rights in thirteen twelve, and as strong as we fought for the second Amendment on Senate Bill three. And there's just so many examples of this caucus just getting up every day and you know, fighting for you know, basic rights are unalienable, God given rights, and just fighting to make sure that there's a more affordable Colorado for people, to make sure that there's a safer Colorado, for people to make sure that they can raise their kids and big government doesn't get interfere and then finally to protect their taxpayer bill rights. So I think those are all highlights. I think we did a really good job of litigating the Long Bill and showing the people of Colorado we don't have a revenue problem, we have a priority problem. So those are definitely some highlights the year without getting too deep into the weeds.
Speaker 1: Now, kid Winter, I guess a system menory leaders, So ty here out there, you know what's going on.
Speaker 2: What's it going to take to get.
Speaker 1: To the point where the people of Colorado are going to elect Republicans statewide.
Speaker 4: I think people believe in our ideas. I think we have to work on our messaging. And you know, I was listening to the show before, and you're right, it's going to have to be a united front. I think the problem that we have is is we have to really start to activate within our church communities, you know, our smaller community than you know. The grassroots is strong in the state. We've seen it numerous times when Minority Leader Paglivi and Don Wilson, who was a representative last year, were able to get the question called up to the ballot to see if we wanted to stay in the Convention or if we wanted to break off and be separate and have where the state of Colorado doesn't join the Electoral College. Sorry about that, Dan, I was spoken all, oh, yeah, no, no, sorry, it's been a long day. The day of Colorado would be able to not have to worry about the electroc college issue, and the grassroots did that and they were able to come strong. So I think, I mean elevating and highlighting the grassroots. We've got to get out the fundraising machine. The Democrats spend way more money than us, and that's unfortunate, but at the end of the day, that's how it works.
Speaker 2: So we have to.
Speaker 4: Activate the fundraising machine. We have to recruit quality candidates. I mean, we need candidates that have life experience, job experience, because those are the experience that we'll find out that are resonate with voters at the door. So I think if we get that ground game strong, we go recruit good candidates, we activate the grassroots, We educate the populace about what's happening happening to them by government and not for government for them. I think people are ready to take a swing, and you know, some people think it's a while from now, but I think we're going to gain some more ground in the next year.
Speaker 1: Sir boy, the opportunities, sure, they're right. I mean, it seems to me one of the big challenges is getting past what seems to be this strong belief that the GOP just can't.
Speaker 2: Win stay wide.
Speaker 1: So it seems like a lot of the big money guys and gales they won't get in at this point because that's.
Speaker 2: That's how they got a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Right many of them is making good bets and they just don't see the GOP is a good bet right now. So I think it's going to take somebody to sort of break through all that get in a position where it looks like they can win, and then then I think it's a GOP could just pick off one of these big state wide races and show it's possible.
Speaker 2: Then I think it all loosens up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you one hundred percent, sir, and I think those candidates are out there. I do think that people in this state are starting to pay attention because when life starts to get hard, people are going to pay attention. I mean we literally hear stories of people digging through the couch cushions to get changed by gas to go to work, and I mean at some point people are going to wake up. So I think you're right. I think if we find a really good candidate, we're able to activate all the other things. I think we do have a solid chance, but it's going to take a lot of work, but I think our ideas are going to be the idea that prevails in the end. I think that we have the commons dense ideas around the nuclear family, around finances, around safety, but messaging that is another thing. And then you know, like you said, unfortunately the people of Colorado have had to deal with a little bit that's kind of jerked their attention into the political realm.
Speaker 1: Well, my brother, if it was just about ideas, I think the GOP would win every race statewide. Right. It's just you know, as a former Democrat myself, I think there are so many people who just have this wrong stereotype about Republicans that you know, you're not going to get any help from the media defeating that. And it's you know, yeah, it's just going to be a tougher fight for us, but we found a way before we will again. And yeah, I appreciate all the work you're doing in the trenches because again that has to be brutal down there, but you and your colleagues you just keep showing up and fighting hard and accomplishing them probably about as much as anybody ever could.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you and thank you for paying attention and all the people that pray for us and come and support us, and the people that come into fight, because that's all woven into the story. And I think they have a little bit louder voice because their constituents can make it down to the capital so easy and testify. But those of our constituents that drive in from you know, al Paso County, all the nine counties in my district, from all over in Colorado and they tell their story, that helps us a lot because they need to hear those stories outside the metroplits. So you know, sir, I appreciate the kind words. Just know that the Mighty twenty two are going to keep showing up. We're going to keep fighting. We're going to hit the roads running this summer. We're going to get out, we're going to talk to our constituents, and we're going to cheap trying to move the needle. Like you said, because we don't own the media, they're not favorable to us. There's so many things stacked against us. But at the end of the day, sir, we're gonna win. I have that feeling, and you know, you mentioned it earlier about being on the ground floor of something, and you may not be the one that gets it over the finish line. But you know, sometimes being the cornerstone is, you know, the most important part to a good foundation. So I hope that you know, you are all seeing that we're going to continue to be that cornerstone and we're going to start to lay the foundation for you to get that Republican candidate in there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, looking at it, logically, you've already won, right because I think people who stand up against evil things, and I'm not calling any of your political opponents evil, but they're pushing a lot of truly evil things. And I think that big picture, people who stand up against evil things, especially against long odds, have already won in the most important sense. Now it's just a matter of just translating that into some legislative victories. But again, thanks for all you do and look forward to the next conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you having me on. It was good hearing from you, and I look forward to the next conversation as well. Have a good evening.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Ty, take care.
Speaker 1: It's Ty Winner, Assistant Minority Leader, and I know Ty, outside of all this stuff, good guy, and they've really you know, there are a lot of good people working really hard down there, but obviously still a lot of very nasty stuff and some of it flat evil happening.
Speaker 2: And will be digging back into all of that shortly.
Speaker 1: But I'm getting a lot of text I want to get to some of those in calls as well on the new Pope and first one obviously born in America, And what do you want to see from the new Pope?
Speaker 2: You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kapla Show podcast three or.
Speaker 1: Three someone three eight two five five text an five seven seven three nine. Obviously I'm talking about baseball there. I hate to have the new pope, right, What do you want to see from the new pope? Whether you're Catholic or not Christian, or not faithful or not, what do you want to see from the new pope? Because popes aren't happening to be Catholic, but pope's take on a world importance as well, some more than others, right, I think in modern times the pinnacle of that pope John Paul the Second, now Saint John Paul the Great. But yeah, what do you want to see from this pope? I want to get to some text calls as well. We're talking about much more. And you know, Sho, I haven't been on this week at all. I've been in trial down in Colorado Springs. Tremendous experience and grateful to everybody who filled in, Sheriff Steve Raims and KBB and Heidi and so.
Speaker 2: Grateful for that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, one of the weirdest things because I've been trying cases for forty years and it's just one of the coolest things you can imagine, and then doing jury selection and meeting all these people from different areas in the state, and so we're in there with my wonderful client and everything's rolling, and then all of a sudden, you know, we lose our alternate and then we lose a jury jury illness And every other case I've tried for forty years, when you get down below six years sybil is six felony twelve. When you get down below six, everybody's just agreed to go forward with five. But in this case, the other side did not agree to go forward with five, and so the court had no choice but to end the trial like right in the middle of it. And so, boy, that's a new experience. I never want to have again. But my wonderful client is an amazing person, a fighter, and we're going to go back and tee it up again in a couple of months. But yeah, so thank you to all of those who have done such a great job this week while I have been off in trial. Before I get to the phone lines, a Texter says, Dan, are you saying you don't know many Christian Democrats? Not at all, Not at all. Some of the best Christians I know are Democrats. What I'm saying is that you have an awsul lot of people voting for Democrats out of habit.
Speaker 2: Out of habit.
Speaker 1: They were born into a family that voted Democrat. They voted Democrat out of habits. It doesn't mean they like what the Democratic Party's doing. So many people just aren't actively engaged politically every day, right, They're not like the folks listening to this show, no matter what side of the aisle they're on, and so they're just not dialed into the fact that, you know, hey, the Democratic Party isn't what it used to be. It isn't your mom or your grandmother's Democratic Party. It's become taken over by the hardcore secular left. And so yeah, a lot of people voting Democrat who they're aware of some things that are happening, but they're not dialed into that. And then the big thing, and I'm telling you this as a former Democrat, there's no denying this is true. You have this untrue stereotype about Republicans, which is the biggest thing that keeps many Democrats Democrats, because what percentage of Democrats do you really think are these hardcore lefties you know, who you're never going to get They they just want more of a socialist country and all this other garbage.
Speaker 2: Probably a third at most. The other two thirds, No, they're.
Speaker 1: They're sane, patriotic, good reasonable people, and so many have just grown up with this untrue, negative stereotype of Republicans. So those are the things we've got to overcome. It doesn't mean they're some kind of heathens, you know. And then part of the burdens on the GOP, you know, and I know we've got a tougher fight on the GOP. I've been part of both parties who've got an uphill battle when you're GOP because the media is against you, makes it tougher to get the truth out there about the Democrats and the good truth about the Republicans.
Speaker 2: But you know what, we can't wind. We just have to find a way to win. We just have to be better.
Speaker 1: Dan, I read where the new pope is a staunch Trump hater. Those are not words I would choose. I think that as a cardinal, and even before becoming a cardinal, now hoopefully on the fourteenth was hey.
Speaker 2: He tweeted a lot, and he was.
Speaker 1: Very direct and very plain spoken. Disagrees with certain things President Trump has done on immigration. He's just disagreed with JD. Vance on certain Catholic philosophies. So in that sense, yeah, is there an opposition on policy. I think there clearly is. But when it comes to now this new role as Pope, I would expect him to be I'd expect him to be very balanced and listen, I don't expect a president who I am really grateful for and I think has done some phenomenally tremendous things to always agree with the pope. And I certainly don't expect the Pope to tailor anything to politics, but I can admire most both well clearly come on in terms.
Speaker 2: Of in terms of priorities there.
Speaker 1: You know, when you talk about God and you talk about eternity and you talk about my faith, my faith comes light years before my politics. My faith is exponentially more important to me than my politics. But I see both blending together very very well. As I think that President Trump and Pope Leo the fourteenth, I think will end up finding an awful lot of common ground. And I love the comments that President Trump had today about the Pope. All positive and all forward looking and all looking forward to meeting the Pope. And you know, it was funny I read this one comment.
Speaker 2: About when.
Speaker 1: Pope Leo the fourteenth visit the White House, not how it works. Popes don't visit the White House no matter who the president is, which party they're from. If a president wants to meet the Pope, the president goes to the Vatican. And whether President Trump chooses to do that or not, I sure hope he does. And again, I loved President Trump's comments today about the Pope, and I would bet you they they find a way to accomplish a lot of good things together, starting with starting with blessed are the peacemakers right? And on that absolutely vital, innocent human life issue. Trump is a peacemaker. He has proven that he approaches at peace through strength. He is a peacemaker. Popes are peacemakers. I have no doubt this Pope is going to be peacemaker. Then you come to innocent human life on a massive scale, like millions of innocent human lives that are routinely slaughtered by abortion.
Speaker 2: And Donald Trump has been.
Speaker 1: An absolute champion of the unborn, and there is no question this pope is a champion of the unborn. So on those two vital issues at the core of Catholic teaching, I think there is going to be nothing but common ground when it comes to the Pope and President Trump.
Speaker 2: Two three someone three eight two five five text d an five seven seven three nine You're on the Dan Kapla Show.