Speaker 1: Ah, here we go, Here we go, Dame Johns along with Bruce Marrity. It is another episode of First eleven eleven minutes or less. Will you give you the soccer world? Thanks for finding us. Tell your friends again, We're available wherever you get your podcast. Well you already know because you got it, But tell your friends were on iHeart, Apple, Spotify, pocket Casts, Overcast, speaker again, all these possibilities. Tell your friends we're right here for you. Every week on First eleven, the United States into the final of the Gold Cup the win over Guatemala. First of all, your thoughts, Bruce Marity, what you're seeing from this team there will be different from the World Cup team next year, but yet they are into the final.
Speaker 2: I saw a little grit last night.
Speaker 3: I saw players playing with passion, and you know, I don't know if it's because they're closer to a final or whatnot, but I saw a much I didn't see a great performance, but I saw a performance necessary to close the game out, and for that I was grateful.
Speaker 1: And again, the breakout of this Gold Cup is Diego Luna.
Speaker 2: Fair to say, yeah, I mean Diego Luna.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows about him in the league he's no secret, but he is that guy the passion. When you see him speak, when you see him play, he chases every lost cause you know, you know he's not going to get it, but he's going to go in there and take a swing at it.
Speaker 2: And that's the kind of guy you need right now to get this team on track.
Speaker 1: Now, you granted determination though, that's part of that is coming from him. He seemed to me in this Gold Cup playing like a guy that I'm showing you. I'm showing you I need to be a part of next year.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what the national team is all about, Dave.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you want to make it on the national team, you get your shot and then you shoot right. And I tell people all the time there was a thousand players better than me, but somehow when I got on the team, I would score a goal in a big game and then, you know, keep my place on the squad.
Speaker 2: Lots of competitionors always competition on the national team.
Speaker 3: I don't care if it was when I played or when they're playing right now, but competition, that is what you need to get better.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you mentioned that you've been on the national team obviously to start one time the all time leading goalstrun on the national team. The team dynamic. You're close friends still with a lot of your teammates, but the environment a supportive environment because you've got to mix competition with your working with somebody that's going off your job.
Speaker 3: There is there is a supportive environment, but there's also a very standoffish environment. And I always I have nightmares wake up at night. You know, was I was I a good enough guy off the field? Was I? It was hard for me to get close to players and be really good friends with them because, you know, we were all after what the other guy wanted, and we all wanted the same thing starting. We wanted to get paid, we wanted to be a national team player. So it's a very it's a it's a very uh, I guess uh dichotomy of things that come together, confluence of the vests.
Speaker 2: You just can't not it's hard to make really good friends.
Speaker 3: Now saying that, thirty years on, we all tell the stories and talk and laugh and it's.
Speaker 2: A different, different world.
Speaker 3: But when you're in that world right now, there's a lot of anxiety and a lot of competition.
Speaker 1: And another player I want to get to Sebastian Berholter. Obviously he's got the name, but he's also got the game. And to me, he's we're finding more about him from this World Cup. Fair statement, And what are you finding out?
Speaker 2: I'm finding a guy who's just like his dad.
Speaker 3: He's you know, Greg was just an absolute, you know, grinder and and you know Sebastian Bulletthalter. Whenever you see a fight or a tackle, you will see him. That is you know, that is the DNA he has. And I think that's what the team needs right now. Is he silky smooth on the ball. No, I mean that's not That's not what he's being asked to do. So I think I think Pochaccino's got him in a good spot, you know. And it's it's absolutely remarkable to me to have the former coaches I'm starting for the new coach. It's it's the weirdest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: All Right, who else anybody else we need to mention?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think mentioned Elik Tillman uh and and his big transfer that to uh where was it labor cusin thirty five to forty million?
Speaker 2: Is that what they were saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that just goes to show you that, uh, you know, the American player is not you know, now getting the respect.
Speaker 2: You know, and again we we started it.
Speaker 3: But but now these players, you know, every you know, Tilman has been playing great and you know he should he you know that that's a big move, by the way, and uh, that's gonna that's gonna really open up the floodgates for some other players.
Speaker 1: Now the assign in Mexico.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Yeah, I think we're we're we're looking at a Mexican team that's that's not on you know, they're they're in third gear. I don't I don't see them playing the way you would see a typical Mexican team playing. I think the United States has an excellent chance of of winning the final. You know, this is not the Mexican team of the past. This is a different group of players. It's a different philosophy. They're playing differently. What we can't do though, what we can't do And Mexico does this all the time. They bait you into try and put to try playing out of the back. And when we play out of the back, that's not our strong suit. Right, So for me, right, let's go with the old Partic Thistle Scottish League. We're gonna go a little route one because I don't think because we have you know why, because we got a guy who can hold the ball up now, big man up top al Jemmy.
Speaker 1: Okay and yeah, he continues to Augimoni continues to you were closed though, that was good speaking of a big man up top. Let's talk about DC nited now shifting gears. Look, we're at the point now, we're almost running out of time to say. There's still time a Saturday home game against Atlanta. And by the way, we're.
Speaker 2: Having a covering four.
Speaker 1: iHeart begetting at seven fifteen on the iHeartRadio app and you can sink with Apple TV. What do you want to see from this team? It cannot be the same as we've seen the past two weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I want to see, Dave, is I want to see us pick up three points off a team who's below us. You know, it doesn't right now, it doesn't seem to matter whoever comes into out, He's going to beat us. And I you know that that somehow that attitude has got to change, that that that that narrative is horrible, and we you know, you know we cannot allow this to happen. So if we are going to make that run, and we talk about all the time, you know there is time, there is points on the table, then it has to happen this weekend.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's Atlanta.
Speaker 3: They're having the worst season historically, and you know we're lucky that it's Atlanta to come in here.
Speaker 2: But let's go out and win this game. I mean, and especially you know our fans are starved for a victory.
Speaker 3: I know the players want the victory, but they have got to go out and they have to, like the hag Luna man, just chase every lost cause what.
Speaker 1: Would you do to create more chances? Should they do something dramatically? Play and I don't know if it's dramatic, but play with two up tops, somebody who support Ben Techy and out when he's back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think so. Especially when you're an injured player coming back. It's not like you jump right in and all of a sudden everything's great again. It takes a while to get to get acclimated. So I'd love to see Boggy partnered up there. Two veterans, you know, give it kind of a double pivot. If you want, you know, you'll have Bogi, You'll come to the ball bench, and Techy will come to the ball. Let Ben Techy play the game, not just you know, flick on headers and all that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I would love to see two up top. I'd love to see our wingers get in the game. And the one thing I would like, and I haven't seen this a lot, we need to get the ball cross earlier and often. And the reason I say that is is it's so easy to defend the guy in front of you, but once the cross comes in, now you've got to defend two things, the cross and the guy.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what we need to work.
Speaker 1: Look for that. On Saturday, DC Atlanta noted again the iHeartRadio app at Apple TV. You can sync with us as it's a home game, and you can always sync with us using the iHeartRadio app. We begin at seven fifteen. There it is as we promised, in eleven minutes or less. In fact, under ten minutes, we got it done. He's Bruce Brody, I'm Dave Johnson. Thanks for listening.