Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Origin in Charge.
Speaker 1: That's the way the United States of America should be, right because guess what if we aren't, somebody else will be. And we know we are goodness, we are light. We're the reason the world is free. Who's the wei, Kimosabi. I'm not the reason, but all of the men and women who fought and died and everybody who's doing it now. Yeah, so you got to use that power or guess what evil will fill the vacuum. So once again, President Trump, He's got to get tired of winning at some point, right Ryan, But he's about to take the stage with its Prime Minister net Yahoo and two of the greatest freedom fighters in the last fifty years. We will duck in there give you a feel for what's going on in there. Maybe duck in and out, but this is what six seven days in a row, Trump has talked to the press and taking their best shots, you know, whatever their best and toughest questions may be. And and you know this is obviously by design, and it is so important. It's important to your life and mind and our safety, in the nation's safety because with with Biden every single day, right, I mean, you saw the world on fire because of Biden's weakness and all the Democrats, which includes you know, Hick and Looper and Bennett and Polis and all of them covering up for Biden when when you know, obviously he was incompetent and incapable. But Trump is making it clear right now, there's somebody strong and sharp and unafraid in charge.
Speaker 2: And that's how you get peace. You want to avoid war.
Speaker 1: Make it clear you're strong enough to win a war, and that can apply politically, that can apply, you know, militarily. But Trump is exuding that strength eight five to five for zero five A two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine. So we will duck in there. Obviously, RFK and Telsea Gabbard after today's committee votes, are on their way to confirmation, which is another reflection of Trump's strength, right because and I've taken the position both should be confirmed. President Trump won. He won as a disruptor. He should get the people he wants unless there's something enormously disqualifying, and there has not been with any of his nominees. So he should get these nominees, and he's going to. But again that's a testimony to his strength.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: No Republican on either of those committees wants to cross him, nor should they now. I would bet there are Republicans on both committees who don't like those nominees. But the strength the President Trump keeps the process moving forward. But I do want to get to a local story. Well, we wait for those two to take the stage and then anxious to duck in, but this one really really bothers me.
Speaker 2: And this is a story from the Steamboat Pilot, and I think there are a lot of morals to this story. If you're new to Colorado.
Speaker 1: Steamboatsy this amazing town up in the Mountain's great ski town. The first big cases I ever had was up there, and I was just a law clerk in that one. But which is an interesting story. I'll tell it sometime, but not right now. This story here's the headline, and then the Post carried a version of it. But I'm really anxious to get your take, because one of the cool things for me, at least being on air all these years is, you know, I've been in Colorado now, jeez, I can't even count fifty.
Speaker 2: Years, maybe forty nine years.
Speaker 1: But I came from Chicago, and I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, first in an apartment and then with the greatest childhood you could ever imagine, whether we were in the apartment or then in our small home in the heart of the South Side and what later became Barack Obama's district. But I had the greatest childhood imaginable, and my dad was a cop, and my mom could have done anything, stayed home to raise us, and I literally cannot imagine a tougher job. But the point of all of this is that I just didn't get exposed to a lot of wildlife, right. Hunting was not part of our thing. I mean in Chicago, Like when we then moved over to the southwest Side. When it got too violent at seventy six and Aberdeen, we moved to sixty third and Pulaski. You know, I'd see some cows on you know, trained cars going to the stockyards and things like that, but we didn't have wildlife, So hunting was not part of growing up. You know, wildlife in that circle of life was not part of life for us growing up, going to my dad taking us, you know, to cub games and socks games. It was that sort of thing. But I got to tell you that aside to me, this one is crystal clear. Whether it's it's to somebody who's grown up their entire life in the wilderness with the animals and the circle of life, or whether it's a guy like me who grew up in the city.
Speaker 2: Right is right and wrong is wrong.
Speaker 1: And I think this is as wrong as you can get. And I think it's an example of bureaucratic laziness and excuse making.
Speaker 2: So listen to this.
Speaker 1: After elk gets stuck on Steamboat Springs property, CPW urges.
Speaker 2: Residents to let nature take it course.
Speaker 1: Okay, when an elk got stuck in a snowy gully on a Steamboat Springs residence property Thursday, neighbors were prepared to come from miles around to help, but a ranger with Colorado Parks and Wildlife advised them to let nare nature take its course. BS. I wish I could say the full word BS. That's a lazy friggin ranger. Let me go on with the story. That was not out of the story quote. It's very tough to see. We're all humans, said Rachel Gonzalez, the CPW Northwest Region Public Information Officer. When we see an animal in a bad situation, we all want to help. The reality is sometimes we could be doing that animal more harm by trying to help it.
Speaker 2: B s BS not this animal. How are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: How are you gonna do more harm to this animal by saving it? This is lazy, bureaucratic garbage. The story goes on. Millly Free, the Steamboat Springs resident who conducted the rescue mission, came home to an elk walking through her property and snapped a photo admiring the beauty.
Speaker 2: But when Freed.
Speaker 1: Walked away, the elk got startled and ran into a gully full of snow.
Speaker 2: I could tell the elk was struggling to get through.
Speaker 1: The snow, but I thought the elk, they'll deal with this. I'm sure she'll be okay. According to Freed and CPW, the elk seemed to be in poor health even before getting stuck. I'd really like to see the evidence of that I've seen the picture anyway, it goes on to say. Hours later, the elk was still stuck in the gully and up to its neck in snow. According to Freed, Freed called CPW seeking help, but a CPW ranger incurred her to leave the alkala encouraged her to leave the alkalon overnight to see if it could escape the gully without help. Around seven pm Thursday, Freed decided to rally the troops to dig a path in the snow for the elk. Early the next morning, we got a group of about ten neighbors to agree to help. Everyone I called wanted to help. I was amazed that people were willing to come from five miles away so early in the morning. When the neighbors arrived at Freed's property, the elk was still alive, but still stuck. Then while the group had breakfasts, the elk died.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: Maybe she was so weak that it was an inevitable ending, said Freed. I get it, that's wildlife, but I wish it had ended better, Freed boy, and I bet the elk does too. Freed voice disappointment that CPW did not assess the situation in person or intervene, but CPW said interference can make a bad situation even worse. Again, total bureaucratic, lazy, garbage, garbage, It goes on to say, from our standpoint, it's important to make sure that we're respecting wildlife and giving them space, especially this time of year when they're already doing everything they can to conserve energy and calories. Wait a second, you've got an elk dying. It's stuck in the snow up to its neck. It can't move.
Speaker 2: It's dying. Oh, we got to give it space.
Speaker 1: Right, According to Gonzales, every situation is different and there's not just one way to respond to an animal in distress. She said, CPW intervenes when necessary, but tends to lean toward letting, letting nature take its course, and then it goes on from there. Freeed added that a friend is planning on processing the.
Speaker 2: Elk for food. Give me a break.
Speaker 1: You've got all these neighbors who want to do the right thing right. God created these animals. The neighbors are willing to go out there. They're just asking the state for some help. Here's an animal in distress, it's dying. What is the downside of saving it, but my constitutionally protected opinion based upon the publicly available facts, it's just bureaucratic laziness.
Speaker 2: And so a magnificent.
Speaker 1: Creature that should still be alive today died what must have been a very painful death, and to me, that's garbage. These neighbors wanted to do the right thing.
Speaker 4: That happened in my hometown, and unlike you growing up in an urban area, Dan, I grew up in a very rural area in Grasslake, Michigan. That elk would still be alive. We would have tried to call DNR Michigan Department National Natural Resources. I believe there would I hope there would have been a different response in that instance. You know, the animal is not only in danger, it's being stressed, and you have to be able to start some effort to save that animal. And I know it's dangerous. The elk could be very agitated, and you don't want to get in his path or its way. But there was a way to save that elk well, and all.
Speaker 1: These people rallied and he came out with their shovels et centa. But they had a right calling the state, They had a right to get some help from the state Colorado is a state income tax. Colorado has lots of taxes. I bet all those people are paying lots of taxes, and they had a right to expect some help from the state.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: Listen, if it's a spider in your house or something like that, that's one thing. Even though I'll admit that I will take fighters out and throw them outside.
Speaker 2: Amy hates that.
Speaker 1: But the point being, this is a big, magnificent elk. It's in pain, it's in distress, just a little basic humanity, right, And so I think the state failed these citizens. The state failed this beautiful creature. And it's another example in my constitutionally protected opinion of bureaucratic laziness.
Speaker 2: Maybe there are other facts that I don't know or I'm missing. I'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 1: Eight five five for zero five eight two five five the number text d A N five seven seven three nine. But no, I think this animal should have been saved. You're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 4: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Corodo Bureaucrats my humble opinion, failing this beautiful animal, failing the citizens of Colorado who wanted the animals save citizens who got up at dawn, traveled miles with shovels to get together to save this elk stuck in her neck, stuck up to her neck in deep snow overnight, and the person who saw this tries to get the state involved. The state doesn't come out, and then you know, as the people are having breakfast, which they're entitled to do, the elk dies.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 1: Just awful, what a waste, a total bureaucratic failure. Tara and Pueblo, you're on the Dan Kaplis show.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 5: Hi, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Oh my pleasure, Tara.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it is really vomnerable when people should be taking some responsibility to do their job and be helpful just want to brush it off and do nothing.
Speaker 2: It drives you crazy, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the neighbors that they were willing to go miles at dawn to save this animal, but the professionals should have been out they're saving it right long before then. Thank you for the call. Not every Texter happy with me, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: People can't always be right.
Speaker 4: I think this textures unhappy with you, but I had the same question as this texter. Dan if I may, says, Dan been a resident hunter here in Colorado for over sixty years. Yep, stuff happens. I find it interesting that it is a city boy lawyer. A little shot at you. You didn't spot the fact that the helpers made time to have breakfast. What's up with that part though?
Speaker 3: Why do they?
Speaker 4: But why do they stop to have breakfast? Dig the damn elk out?
Speaker 1: Hopefully have breadtha, Hopefully that Texter is on their way to the ear doctor right now, because I specifically read that part of the story. I know you, I know that while they were having breakfast, the elk passed away. But here's the point here. Let me read this text. Dan been a resident and hunter here in Colorado for over sixty years. Yep, stuff happens. I find it interesting that is a city boy lawyer. You didn't spot the fact that the quote helpers make time to have breakfast while the animal died. Hope those helpers didn't choke on their eggs and vagan bacon. Again, stuff happens, in my constitutionally protected opinion. Smiling and winking emoji, I'm sure you didn't mean to demean the wildlife officer with your words. I thought I did not, not personally, but no, clearly if if my words weren't clear enough, And nothing's personally here, I'm not faulting any particular individual. What I'm saying is the bureaucratic mindset Colorado Parks and Wildlife as a bureaucracy should have gone out and saved this animal. And the excuses what I was particularly referring to were the excuses offering in this offered in this article, which to me are typical bureaucratic garbage.
Speaker 2: It's very tough to see. I mean, she's talking about an elk, stuff buried all the way up to it neck in the snow. Everybody can see it. Come on, we're humans.
Speaker 1: God gave us these gifts. We're supposed to be their caretakers and their stewards. Yeah, we were given them to eat, we were given them to do this and that, but we were supposed to treat them well. So this is I don't aim this at any particular individual in this story, but the bureaucracy, the state of Colorado under Jared Polus.
Speaker 2: It's very tough to see. We're all humans.
Speaker 1: When we see an animal in a bad situation, we all want to help the reality is sometimes we could be doing that animal more harm by trying to help it. So tell me, State of Colorado, how are you doing this animal in a tortuous situation more harm by just digging it out.
Speaker 2: This is not tough. It's not in the middle of a highway.
Speaker 1: And to the shot taken it these people who just want to have a little breakfast first. These people are all up early in the morning, They've come a long way, They've all brought shovels. They're not paid by the State of Colorado. They're not paid by the taxpayer. These are unpaid volunteers about to go out by the way and do.
Speaker 2: Some really hard work and some risk there, and some risks, you know, so that you gotta have fuel. You gotta have fuel.
Speaker 1: If the state had done its job, the folks wouldn't even have to be outset.
Speaker 4: I just got to say to the Texter's point, I do agree, as again, somebody who grew up in a rural environment, I would want to have breakfast too. But the elk is stuck. This is a crisis situation. You dig the elk out first, and they'll go have a big bonanza breakfast. A cracker barrel or.
Speaker 1: Bro It's like on the plane, you got to put your own face mask on first, right, and here they.
Speaker 4: Need to dig him out without eating breakfast.
Speaker 2: You gotta have the fuel. You gotta have the fuel.
Speaker 1: But Dan, the person who saw it originally obviously didn't see a sign of illness or distress. It was cruel to not get that elk out. If wildlife had come out and determined the elk was dying, then put it out of its misery. Great point, you've got you've got a creation of god suffering. I think we're put on this earth to relieve suffering. You've got a creation of God's suffering. You've got taxpayer funded people who are supposed to address this situation. It probably died from the stress. Yeah, I might have froze to death. Whatever, It was a brutal death that could have been avoided. The Texter goes on to say, the few times I've had to call Fish and Game, they have neither not come or been of little help.
Speaker 2: No longer call them that.
Speaker 1: From Frandy that maybe the first Frandy who has ever written the show.
Speaker 2: Dan, they should have dug the elk out the night before.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the States should have You've got this citizen who starts by calling the government, right, they're the specialist Parks and wildlife calls. The government figures though, get them out, and then all of a sudden, this good Samaritan citizen sees the government isn't acting, so starts calling their friends.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't expect them to go out in the dark at night, in deep snow with shovels to try to save the elk. But the professionals should have been there. Yeah, wow, Dan, they should not wait on government. The spirit of America is, do not wait on your government, Take charge yourself. We are the government, we the people. Yeah, but I think they did the right thing there to help. I mean, they did the right thing to call the government to try to get the government's help, and the government, in my opinion, should have helped Dan. I live in Cedar Edge where we have deer in our yards here around. CPW will not intervene if we spot an injured deer. Let nature take its course. As the mantra we here too, And I say bs to that. Depending on the circumstance. To me, again, that's bureaucratic laziness. It depends on the circumstance. Yeah, listen, if you've got a deer that's passing away from.
Speaker 2: Some kind of this or that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying the state has to come out and give it CPR. I'm not saying that at all. But if you've got a deer that says duck in a barbey er fence, or you've got a deer like this, or an elk in this case, stuck in the snow, No, we are better than that than to leave an animal there to be tortured.
Speaker 2: We're better than that.
Speaker 1: Dan, If that had been a predator wolf here in Colorado, they would have moved the entire amount to save it.
Speaker 2: Hell. Yes, text of the year can tender right top five.
Speaker 1: If that had been one of Jared Polus's beloved wolves that was brought in to slaughter the livestock of our ranchers, they would have Polus himself would have flown out. He would have every asset possible deployed to save that wolf. Yeah, this is outrageous and it's symptomatic of something even bigger.
Speaker 2: But it's cruel.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 1: If the State of Colorado wasn't going to do its job and save this animal that was dying, this horrific death where everybody could see it and it could have been easily rescued. Then put it out of its misery. I mean, this is a story. I'll get to the phones and text if you just joined the sink. Not emotional, it's peanut butter. This is a story out of the Steamboat Pilot via the Denver Post after elk gets stuck on Steamboat Springs property CPW Colorado Parks and Wildlife urges residents to let nature take its course. My constitutionally protected opinion. That's buer lazy bureaucratic BS. Here's the heart of the story. I won't read it as I did earlier. Is I understand the story. You've got this elk that gets stuck in this big field. It's a fenced, big field behind somebody's house. Bury it all the way up to its neck in the snow, and the elk is an obvious misery, and the neighbor calls the state as it should. You know the budget for that department, I looked it up in the break three hundred and eleven million. You think they could afford to and elk dyeing a horrible death, calls the state and says, hey, you got to rescue this animal.
Speaker 2: State says no, and then we get.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, all this bureaucratic nonsense in those quotes I read, Garriotte could be doing the animal more harm. How are you doing the animal more harm by simply digging it out rather than have it died that horrific death.
Speaker 2: So this neighbor does the right thing.
Speaker 1: What a good person rallies friends, calls friends, people come from miles away with shovels to dig the animal out early morning while they're having breakfast. The poor animal passes away. So that's what we're talking about right now. What do you think like I do, the States should have stepped in there. Texter Dan liable for animal cruelty. Dan a friend who's a forest fighter. Forest fire fighter once told me there's no such thing as a natural disaster, and then it goes on for a while. They only got labeled as disasters once people got involved.
Speaker 2: Dan Less.
Speaker 1: Time I checked, every person who registered a vehicle has to pay for a while life pass unless you opt out. Yeah, and it looks like from what I'm reading, it was an extra forty one million dollars to Parks and Wildlife. And I'm sure Parks and Wildlife does a lot of good. But this animal should have been saved.
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 1: How many gullies with deep snow do you suppose they're in Colorado?
Speaker 2: Elk deer, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Oops like that, maybe being chased by a wolf from online all the time. But you have your knickers in a knot because people happen to have seen it part of nature that it's a false allegation.
Speaker 2: I don't wear knickers. In fact, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into those kind of details. But there's a brief, Dan, I can't find any long enough. But the point here being, wait a second, the fact that you cannot save them all doesn't mean you don't save the ones you can. Here's God's creature right in front of us, easily saved, dying a horrific death.
Speaker 2: That the fine city is doing what they can and the state won't step in. Dan.
Speaker 1: If the Department of Wildlife's position is let nature take its course, why do we need to employ people to do stuff that will happen regardless if we employ them or not.
Speaker 2: What a great point and.
Speaker 1: The fact that the rescue crew stopped in at breakfast before starting their rescue and knowing the elk had been stuck for twelve to fifteen hours, is the real story.
Speaker 2: It just is.
Speaker 1: Respectfully disagree, my friend. These the person who assembled that rescue crew had been trying to get the state on it, and I'm guessing had reason to believe that.
Speaker 2: Who would.
Speaker 1: Of course, the State's going to come and save that very savable animal. It's just out there where everybody can see it. And I do think, I mean, think about how hard it is for some people to shovel their driveway. I mean, that's some real physical work. But here you got people going out into a deep snowfield with shovels to dig out an elk. I think they have a right to get some fuel first, Dan, Ryan is right, dig first, dine later. The animal was suffering, which I submit is why the States should have stepped in. There's no way I'm going to blame these good Samaritans who had come to do tough and potentially dangerous work.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: I agree with the Texter and Ryan. Even if you're hungry, it was an emergency, I would have been the first out to start digging while everyone else is eating. I don't even eat breakfast. Most often work very physically hard at my job all day and then eat one meal at the end.
Speaker 2: The thought doesn't always count.
Speaker 1: That from Jack, fascinating to me so many Texters critical of the group out in the early morning hours that was going out to do very hard work just fueling up.
Speaker 2: I mean, would you drive your.
Speaker 1: Car out onto a rescue mission like that without making sure there was fuel in the tank, especially when you got professionals paid all this money, who should be out there helping this animal? Which goes to our next text, Dan, I'm amazed at the randomness of CPW efforts. I've seen them slingload elk herds, one animal at a time from one place to another by helicopter, and helicopters cost thousands per hours to operate.
Speaker 2: That from Brian Dan.
Speaker 1: The other thing is maybe they were having breakfast while planning how to deal with the wild oaks safely for the animal and the people. Tremendous point. You huddle up before you run on off tackle football play. You're gonna huddle up before figuring out something you don't do every day.
Speaker 2: You got this.
Speaker 1: Elk buried in its neck up to its neck and snow out in the field in front of you.
Speaker 2: How do we safely do this?
Speaker 1: So I admire the heck out of these people for traveling miles to do it, and I blame the state.
Speaker 2: For not rescuing this critter.
Speaker 1: And I loved the texture who said if it was one of Jared's prized wolves that were brought in to slaughter our ranchers livestock, yeah, that they would have deployed every state resource to rescue that animal. Eric and Loveland on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dan, what a cool topic. Thanks for talking about them.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to put in my two cents.
Speaker 3: Uh uh.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a lot of talk being thrown around these days about Nazis, and I think you would call these people Nazis. I'd like to. I'd like to nominate them for that term. These wildlife people don't know, no, Eric, they they they they're inhumane. They don't really they don't really care about the animals. They just care about doing their job by the book and by the rules, and they don't they don't care about animals lives. They really don't.
Speaker 1: Eric, I don't think that's fair and and and and i'd ask you if you have ever't inspect that up. And here's why I say that, my friend, what I see here, and I made it clear earlier, I'm not I'm not calling out any individual in particular. I'm calling out a bureaucratic mindset and a very bureaucratic garbage. We were fed afterwards about why that animal wasn't helped. But I could not even imagine that most, if not all, of these wildlife officers love wildlife. I'm talking about bureaucracy. I'm talking about the state of Colorado. And that's what I think we saw here, just just a bureaucracy that was going to let this animal die a slow torture as death.
Speaker 7: I would like to give you an example. There's a guy who had a pet squirrel who he went on social media, which was foolish in New York, and the and the Animal Department, uh got wind of it and came and took it from it, and took it from him and killed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that wasn't Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I've got to believe, and I listen, I don't interact with that agency, but I've got to believe that people who go into that they love animals, they care for animals. I think this was a bureaucracy that just failed.
Speaker 2: You know, it's.
Speaker 7: Really disagree with you. I guess on the fact that many of them they probably do love animals, but it's maybe it's the higher ups, but it is a bureaucratic mindset that it's really dismissive, as we saw in the case of this elk of animal lives.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the bureaucratic mindset. And I'll give you a great example, okay, and it's a little short on time here, and well there isn't time to go through it right now. But yeah, personally, and I think anybody just from living life, right this is going to ring true to you. People who go into that parks and wildlife, they probably dearly love animals. But then you get a lot of people in a lot of kind of jobs everything else where where you know what, they're not the boss, and you got the bureaucracy, and you got that lazy, bureaucratic mindset. It goes to what I was talking about the other day. After that horrific, unnecessary, plain disaster in DC. The standards are dropping in America, and the standards are dropping faster in leftist control places. Excellence isn't the standard anymore, Going the extra mile isn't the standard anymore. It's this this, you know, bureaucratic mediocrity. And I think that's what we saw in action.
Speaker 2: Here. You've got a.
Speaker 1: Beautiful animal right out there in the open. It's not in some gully ten miles away. You've got citizens coming from miles away with shovels to dig this animal out, and the State of Colorado wouldn't step in to save it.
Speaker 2: Give me a break. Yeah, that to me, that just speaks to these bigger issues.
Speaker 1: But it's wrong because that is a living creature that was feeling physical pain, that was obviously feeling emotional pain, and it's just wrong on every level. We're better than that here on the Dan Kaplas Show.
Speaker 4: And now back to the Dan Kaplass Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's it's just kind of about basic decency and if you just joined us, thank you.
Speaker 2: This is out of a.
Speaker 1: Steamboat pilot newspaper and it's about a big, beautiful elk that gets stuck on a Steamboat Springs property. So this is on a snowy gully on a Steamboat Springs residence property. According to this steamboat pilot piece, and according to the piece, after this elk gets stuck in deep snow all the way up to its neck. Neighbors were prepared to come from miles around to help, but a ranger with Colorado Parks and Wildlife advised them to let nature take its course. So you've got this home owner, as I understand the story, who's asking Parks and Wildlife to save the animal. And Millie Freed, the Steamboat Springs resident who conducted the rescue mission, is the person I admire so much or pulling this rescue crew together. And yeah, so she gets this group together, but in the meantime, she's asking the state to step in, as I understand the story, and the state didn't. And then you get this quote from the state's spokesperson that I consider to just be typical bureaucratic bs. From our standpoint, it's important to make sure that we're respecting wildlife and giving them space, especially this time of the year when they're already doing everything they can to conserve energy and calories. Oh yeah, you're respecting that elk by letting it die.
Speaker 2: This miserable had to be a miserable, painful death physically, emotionally. That's respecting the elk.
Speaker 1: No. To me, that's bureaucratic, lazy, bureaucratic garbage. And I'm not faulting any particular individual.
Speaker 2: Named in this story.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bureaucratic mindset. And it's just to me, though, that this story just goes again to the heart of who we are in decency, because you know, anybody who says they believe in God, even if somebody doesn't believe in God, just just basic morality. You've got a living thing that feels physical and emotional pain.
Speaker 2: It's dying a torturous death. You can help it. It's not like it's at the bottom of a gully ten miles away. Just don't know. No, we don't want to.
Speaker 1: We don't want to make it worse for the animal. We're just gonna let it be tortured to death.
Speaker 2: There, Ernie and Cheyenne, you're on the Dan Kaplis Show. Welcome, Hi Dan here, Ernie.
Speaker 6: Hey, I would just like to give your listeners just my own little personal experience with the term compassion. You know, several years ago, I was in my backyard in the summertime, and I heard this god awful wailing of a cat that was in distress. I looked over the gate and I saw what appeared to be two dogs. What was two dogs when? Was a pit bull mix and the other dog, I don't remember what breed it was, but the pit bull mix had a cat in its mouth by the back of its neck, and the cat was just dangling there. And I had a little fat Shepherd mix dog named Chow, and I opened that gate and I said, Chow, get them. That dog ran down the alley about seventy five feet and smacked into that pit bull and enrolled it, and the pit bull dropped the cat.
Speaker 1: Oh what a great story, Ernie, And how great of you to do that, my friend, And thank you for sharing that story.
Speaker 2: And it makes me think.
Speaker 1: To our wonderful neighbors, the Schneiders, coyote got our little dog. We've had different dogs at different sizes, and this one's still with us. She's got to be one hundred and fifty and dog's ears and Kyle got her and runs away with her. So she's a goner. And the neighbor has this wonderful honey dog. The Schneiders said this wonderful honey dog, Amos, And they said, Amos, go get them. Amos chased down that kyote, probably a couple of blocks down, Tackle to kyote. Kyleed freed, tests and forty nine hundred dollars and vet bills later, and tests is still with us and thriving us.
Speaker 4: Want a steak for the hero dog?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, amosy absolutely, yeah, God rest his canine soul. Rick and Boon, you're on the Dan Kapitlo show. Just do we need on this topic or any topic?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Rick? I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm really angry about this story.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to absorb it. I just sitting on the radio here a little while ago, so I'm still not quite clear on exactly what happened. But as I understand, then in a deep snowfield kind of fighting, it.
Speaker 2: Was spared up to its neck and couldn't get out, and.
Speaker 3: A bunch of folks came out there with shovels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they.
Speaker 1: Wanted direct Yes, But the woman who owns the property, it's her big backyard. She asked the state to step in and save the animal, and the states said no, so she organized this group and they came from miles away.
Speaker 2: Rick. But while they were having.
Speaker 3: Breakfast, I can understand that. I can understand both sides of it. DoD Brussels folks shipped in to do it. It's what humans do with their empathy, and we tried to help. I would hope that somebody was out there with a pair of snow shoes and a rifle or a gun. It's all all failed.
Speaker 2: Rick.
Speaker 1: The music means that I've got a bar for news, But I Rick, are you able to stay my good friend? Rick is a wonderful caller. He raises Cati. He brings just a tremendous perspective to the show. We'll continue this conversation on the other side. Lots want to talk about it. I say the States should have stepped in. It's awful they didn't. What do you think You're on the Dan Kaplis Show.