Speaker 1: You know, there is this line, a very thin, very blurry line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, almost imperceptible, really, right.
Speaker 1: This line that separates the guy standing on the street corner holding a cardboard sign about government mind control from a heavily redacted, highly classified document sitting quietly in a Pentagon vault.
Speaker 2: It is a razor thin boundary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we laugh off the cardboard sign, obviously, but when the ink on the classified document finally sees the light of day, while the laughter tends to stop, pretty fast, it does.
Speaker 2: And the terrifying part of studying history is watching how often that boundary just completely evaporates totally. Because you know, we grow up learning a version of history that feels solid, like it's objective and neatly packaged in a textbook.
Speaker 1: Safe. It feels safe, exactly safe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the deeper you dig into the archives, the more you realize that some of the most outrageous, unbelievable rumors, I mean, the kinds of thing you would instantly dismiss as pure paranoia, they turn out to be absolute, documented reality.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Thrilling three. Today. You and I are crossing that line.
Speaker 2: We are definitely crossing.
Speaker 1: It, because in an era of absolute information overload, where you and I mean you listening right now, are bombarded with claims and counterclaims every time you glance at a screen. Separating a wild conspiracy theory from actual classified military history feels nearly impossible.
Speaker 2: The minefield out there.
Speaker 1: It really is. So our mission today is to pull back the cretan. We are going to look at eight declassified military secrets that sound like they were ripped straight from a Hollywood thriller, but are in fact documented historical facts.
Speaker 2: And we should probably clarify where we're getting this from, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, we need to be very clear about our sources.
Speaker 2: Right, So, we are pulling directly from declassified NSA materials, deep historical archives, veterans affairs records, and rigorous journalistic investigations. Specifically, there's a massive, incredibly detailed probe conducted by Fox six News that will be leaning on We are.
Speaker 1: Just following the ink on the no matter where it leads exactly.
Speaker 2: And I want to add a quick disclaimer here too. We're gonna be talking about politically charged figures today, Presidence, Johnson, Nixon, you name it, but we are completely impartial here, completely We are not taking a political side, we're simply reporting what is in the original declassified source material. We want to explore the ethical implications, not score political points.
Speaker 1: Because following that inc requires us to put ourselves into the mindset of the people making these decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to. You're dealing with the highest levels of government during the most tense moments of the twentieth century.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna move from domestic biological testing to the manipulation of foreign wars, and finally end up with the ultimate faustion bargains of the atomic age.
Speaker 2: It is quite the roadmap, it is.
Speaker 1: So let's start our journey. And we aren't starting on some secret island or in a hollowed out volcano like a Bond villain.
Speaker 2: No, it's actually much more mundane than that.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a place that looks like a normal military installation, but it housed something incredibly dark right here on American soil. We're heading to Frederick, Maryland, Fort Detrick, Fort Detrick. What was actually going on there?
Speaker 2: So to grasp what happened here, you have to transport yourself back to nineteen forty two. The United States is fully engulfed in the Second World War, right, and they are facing adversaries who are already exploring chemical and biological warfare. So the stakes were viewed as entirely existential. You or die exactly in that pressure cooker environment. The US Army Chemical Warfare Service established this massive, sprawling research and development effort. It was focused entirely on biological warfare, and Fort Tetrick became the absolute epicenter of this initiative.
Speaker 1: And when I looked at the source material for this, the list of pathogens they were working with is just staggering.
Speaker 2: It reads like a horror novel, It really does.
Speaker 1: I mean, we aren't talking about studying the common cold keep soldiers healthy. This is a menu of microscopic nightmares. They researched anthrax, brucellosis, to larimia, q fever, and cytychosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of very nasty bugs.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand anthrax, We all know the terrifying implications of anthrax spores, But what is the biological mechanism behind something like q fever? Like, why does a military look at that and say, yes, this is a weapon.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. The military value of these pathogens isn't necessarily always about killing people instantly. Yeah, it lies in their infectivity, and there are specific debilitating effects on the human body. Okay, take Q fever for example. It's caused by a bacteria called Coxiella burnettii and it is incredibly resilient. It can survive heat, drying out, and even many common disinfectants.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's tough to kill.
Speaker 2: Very tough. But its real weaponized value is it's infectious dose. A human being only needs to inhale a minuscule amount to get sick.
Speaker 1: How many skill are we talking?
Speaker 2: Sometimes just one to ten individual organisms?
Speaker 1: Wait? Really, just one to ten cells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is enough to become severely infected. It causes high fevers, severe anemoonent, and it can completely incapacitate a population for weeks.
Speaker 1: That is terrifying.
Speaker 2: It is. And pathogens like brucellosis and tul aremia they operate on a very similar logic. They cause severe, long term illness rather than instant death.
Speaker 1: Why is that better for a weapon though? Wouldn't you want to just, I don't know, eliminate the enemy.
Speaker 2: From a cold tactical perspective. No, an enemy soldier who's severely ill requires massive medical logistics. You have to transport them give them a hospital bed, dedicate nurses and doctors to them.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It ties up enemy resources far more than a soldier who is killed. Outright. It paralyzes their infrastructure by.
Speaker 1: Overwhelming their hospitals. That is incredibly dark, very dark.
Speaker 2: And the researchers at Fort Detrick, they weren't just putting these bugs under a microscope to understand their biology. They were obsessively studying dispersion.
Speaker 1: Dispersion like how to spread it around.
Speaker 2: Exactly because having a deadly pathogen in a glass vial is useless if you can't deliver to the target. So they dedicated enormous resources to understanding how biological agents could move through various environments.
Speaker 1: I read they built these elaborate testing chambers.
Speaker 2: They did. They modeled how a pathogen would behave if it were released inside a building, or how it would navigate through a city's specific airflow dynamics. They were literally trying to solve the physics of mass infection.
Speaker 1: See. I really struggle with the logic the government presented to the public here, because whenever they acknowledged Fort Detrick at all, they leaned incredibly hard on this concept of defense and deterrence, right. The official story, Yeah, they told the American people, Hey, we have to study these things so we can create vaccines and protective gear.
Speaker 2: For our soldiers, which sounds perfectly reasonable on the surface.
Speaker 1: It does, but the declassified reality shows an active, robust development of offensive capabilities. It feels like building this massive doomsday vault, but instead of filling it with seeds to restart agriculture, you're filling it with the plagues that end the world.
Speaker 2: That's a really good analogy.
Speaker 1: How do you research defense without inherently creating the offensive weapon you are supposedly terrified of. I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well, you've hit on the fundamental paradox of the mid twenty century deterrence doctrine.
Speaker 1: Okay, unpack that for me.
Speaker 2: The institutional mindset following World War Two heading into the Cold War was rooted in this concept of offensive deterrence. The prevailing belief was that the only way to genuinely deter the Soviet Union from launching a biological attack was to possess an arsenal so devastating that the Soviets wouldn't dare risk retaliation.
Speaker 1: Ah. So it's mutually assured destruction. Like nukes, exactly like nucks, but instead of the flash of a nuclear bomb, it's the silent, aerosolized cloud of tularemia.
Speaker 2: That is the exact strategic calculus, and it requires a profound psychological dissonance to maintain that the public gets this comforting narrative about gas masks and vaccines. But behind the classified doors at Detrick, researchers were actively modeling how to effectively blanket a metropolitan area anthrax.
Speaker 1: Because you can't build the shield without knowing exactly how the sword works.
Speaker 2: Precisely. The brutal reality of biological warfare is that you cannot figure out how to protect a city from an aerosolized pathogen without first figuring out exactly how to aerosolize a pathogen over a city. The defensive research inevitably inescapably becomes the blueprint for the offensive weapon.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't just some short lived experiment that got shut down quickly. This offensive program was the official, heavily funded policy of the United States for decades decades.
Speaker 2: It operated right up until November twenty fifth, nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 1: What happened on that specific date, that.
Speaker 2: Is the day President Richard Nixon officially terminated the United States offensive biological weapons program.
Speaker 1: Wow, just like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he directed that the stockpiles be destroyed, ostensibly shifting the nation's focus entirely to defensive measures and immunization.
Speaker 1: The sources include this fascinating, almost mundane detail about that specific day. It really caught my eye.
Speaker 2: Oh the quote from the employee.
Speaker 1: Yes, they quote an individual who is actually working at Fort Detrich when the announcement came down. This person says, and I quote, I remember that date quite well because following his announcement of taking munitions and beating them into plowsheds, we all lost our job, and that was a very traumatic experience.
Speaker 2: It really forces us to look at the human element inside the military industrial complex, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It totally does. We view the end of a biological weapons program as this massive, sweeping victory for global humanity. But for the scientists and technicians inside that classified bubble, it was a completely different reality.
Speaker 2: Right because they genuinely believe they were performing essential, patriotic national security work.
Speaker 1: They spent years in an environment where weaponizing a pathogen was just normalized. It was literally their daily nine to five job.
Speaker 2: And then the commander in chief goes on television and declares their life's work a moral negative that needs to be destroyed.
Speaker 1: So suddenly they are out of work. It's the banality of the whole thing. You spend your Tuesday figuring out how to maximize the lethality of a spore, and on Wednesday you're trying to figure out how to pay your mortgage because the program got scrapped.
Speaker 2: It is a surreal juxtaposition.
Speaker 1: But we really have to look at what they were doing before the program ended. Because the theoretical modeling they were doing on chalkboards and in test chambers in Maryland, that wasn't enough for them.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't. A controlled laboratory chamber cannot replicate the complex variables of weather, architecture, and population density right.
Speaker 1: To perfect dispersion. They needed a real world environment.
Speaker 2: The military apparatus recognized that to truly understand how a biological attack would unfold, they needed to test it on a major American city.
Speaker 1: Which is just a massive escalation we've established as they were willing to research these devastating pathogens behind closed doors, but crossing the threshold from a laboratory in Maryland to the streets of a major populated city. That is a completely different psychological.
Speaker 2: Barrier, a huge barrier.
Speaker 1: Let's look at how they crossed it. In September of nineteen fifty, let's talk about the fog of San Francisco and a program known as Operation Sea Spray.
Speaker 2: Operation Sea Spray remains one of the most chilling examples of domestic military testing because of how entirely ordinary the setting was.
Speaker 1: Walk us through what actually happened.
Speaker 2: According to the declassified files, a US Navy minesweeper was positioned just off the coast of northern California. Over a period of several days, the crew of that ship systematically sprayed a massive cloud of a bacteria called Seratia morasans directly into.
Speaker 1: The air, just spraying it into the open ocean breeze.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they timed it perfectly so the wind would carry it straight into San Francisco Harbor and across the entire city.
Speaker 1: And they didn't just pick any bacteria at random for those did they No.
Speaker 2: The documentation shows they chose Serratium marsssens for two very specific reasons, which were First, this particular bacteria produces a distinct red pigment. This was a logistical necessity for them. It made it incredibly easy for the military researchers who were secretly placed throughout the city to swap surfaces, culture the samples, and track exactly how far the bacteria was spreading.
Speaker 1: Like a biological dye marker exactly.
Speaker 2: And second, the scientific establishment at the time firmly believed this bacteria was completely harmless to humans.
Speaker 1: They viewed it as the perfect simulant.
Speaker 2: Right. They couldn't release real antracs, obviously, yeah, but they needed an organism that would mimic how a deadly pathogen might behave in a specific.
Speaker 1: Microclimate, and they picked San Francisco for the weather, specifically for its famous invection fog.
Speaker 2: The researchers hypothesized that the heavy, moisture rich fog rolling in from the Pacific would trap the biological.
Speaker 1: Agent, holding it close to the ground rather than letting it blow away.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they theorized that this would dramatically increase the concentration of the bacteria at street level and consequently infect a much larger percentage of the population.
Speaker 1: Put yourself in San Francisco in September of nineteen fifty you are walking down the street, be heading to work, pulling your coat tight against the chill.
Speaker 2: Of the fog, just a normal morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're holding a cup of coffee, buying a newspaper, going about your normal daily American life, and a few miles offshore, a US Navy ship is intentionally blanketing you, your family, your neighbors in a concentrated cloud of live bacteria.
Speaker 2: Then you have absolutely no idea it is happening.
Speaker 1: Nobody knew. The level of compartmentalization surrounding operations Sea Spray is just staggering to me.
Speaker 2: The documents revealed that the secrecy didn't just apply to the civilian population either.
Speaker 1: Right the chain of command was so aggressively siloed that the director of the CIA was completely unaware of the operation.
Speaker 2: Even the President of the United States was kept in the dark.
Speaker 1: I have to stop and unpack that mechanic for a second, because how does a military operation scale to the point where it can run a multi day citywide biological experiment on millions of American citizens without the commander in chief or the nation's top inti pulligence officer knowing?
Speaker 2: It is a phenomenal question that.
Speaker 1: Isn't just a secret you know that is a fundamental breakdown of civilian oversight.
Speaker 2: It reveals the true, often dangerous nature of the classification system. During the Cold War, we traditionally view secrecy as a shield, a way to prevent an adversary from discovering our vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Sure, keeping the blueprints for a tank secret makes sense.
Speaker 2: Right, But within massive, sprawling bureaucracies like the Department of Defense, secrecy frequently mutates into a tool to prevent internal oversight. The military mandate was to understand and prepare for biological warfare.
Speaker 1: So they just took the initiative.
Speaker 2: The specific division running Operation Sea Spray believe they have the authority within their specific need to know silo to conduct this test. In their framework, San Francisco was merely a popographical laboratory and the fog was just an environmental variable.
Speaker 1: They completely disconnected from the humanity of it.
Speaker 2: The profound ethical breach of experimenting on millions of non consenting citizens was completely subordinated to the necessity of gathering dispersion data.
Speaker 1: And the data they gathered confirmed their worst fears, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It did. The military secret sampling stations proved that the bacteria had successfully blanketed San Francisco and all the surrounding communities. The fog worked exactly as they hypothesized. It trapped the agent and insured widespread exposure.
Speaker 1: But that second assumption they made, the bedrock belief that Saratiu marssens was completely harmless.
Speaker 2: That turned out to be a fatal miscalculation.
Speaker 1: It really highlights the hubris of mid century science. They confidently declared the bacteria benign based on limited laboratory observations on healthy people.
Speaker 2: But shortly after the military released the cloud, a localized cluster of severe siatia infections erupted at a San Francisco hospital.
Speaker 1: The hospital cluster, yes.
Speaker 2: One patient, a man who was just recovering from a routine surgery, developed a critical infection that spread to his heart and he passed away. Oh my god, and several others became violently ill. Now, the historical record shows that proving direct legal causation between the Navy's mind Sweeper and those specific hospital infections has been incredibly difficult, and historically the military pushback very hard against taking responsibility for that death.
Speaker 1: I find the military's pushback there almost insulting to basic logic. You intentionally release a massive concentrated cloud of a specific rare bacteria over a city. Days later, a hospital in that exact city experiences an unprecedented outbreak of that exact rare bacteria. I mean, the variables are pretty clear.
Speaker 2: It perfectly illustrates the inherent unpredictability of biology, though, and it shows exactly why treating a civilian population is a test subject is so.
Speaker 1: Reckless, because a city is not a controlled lab exactly.
Speaker 2: The military scientists tested the bacteria on young, healthy individuals in a lab and deemed it safe. But a city contains the elderly, infants, people recovering from surgery with severely compromised immune systems.
Speaker 1: What is a harmless simulant to a twenty year old soldier can be a lethal pathogen to a patient in a hospital bed.
Speaker 2: The tragedy here stems directly from the total absence of informed consent. If they had known, the hospital could have taken precautions, but they were kept entirely in the dark.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've established that the military was willing to write off civilian collateral damage as a necessary variable in these experiments. That's horrifying enough.
Speaker 2: If it's worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there is a different psychological threshold required to experiment on your own sworn protectors, the men who literally took an oath to defend you. Let's look at how the definition of acceptable collateral damage shifted from the public to the barracks, because our next sources document how the military treated its own service members.
Speaker 2: If Operation Sea Spray was an experiment conducted at a distance, the programs we are looking at next were up close and intensely personal. We need to examine Project SAHAD and the experiments conducted at the Edgewood Arsenal.
Speaker 1: This represents a profound shift. It's moving from a lack of civilian oversight to a direct, face to face betrayal of trust regarding American service members.
Speaker 2: Let's start with Project SAJAD. It stands for Shipboard Hazard and Defense, and honestly, the name itself is a masterclass in bureaucratic sanitization.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a routine safety protocol, like checking the fire extinguishers or something it does.
Speaker 2: It was part of a larger initiative known as Project one twelve, and the Department of Defense ran these operations for over a decade from nineteen sixty two until nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Three, over ten years of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The overarching objective was to analyze how US warships and the crews aboard them would fare during a chemical or biological attack.
Speaker 1: But the mechanics of how this was actually executed are horrifying. We have the first hand testimony of a Navy chief, a man named Mark Looney, who was stationed on one of the target ships.
Speaker 2: His count is chilling.
Speaker 1: He describes the visceral experience of looking up and seeing aircraft flying directly over his vessel. These planes would release a smoke or ass like substance that would descend and completely envelop the ship.
Speaker 2: And do you know what the protocol for the crew was while this was happening.
Speaker 1: Right, They were handed basic gas masks and explicitly ordered not to worry.
Speaker 2: Not to worry. That phrase encapsulates the paternalistic, dismissive mindset of the command structure perfectly. The service members were deliberately kept in a state of absolute ignorance regarding the substances falling on their decks.
Speaker 1: The psychological impact of that has to be severe.
Speaker 2: One veteran sighted in the Fox six News investigation articulated this perfectly. He described feeling like cannon fodder. He realized his health was completely secondary to the data collection. He stated on the record, I really know what a white mouse feels like.
Speaker 1: The white mouse syndrome. You volunteer to serve your country, and your command structure reduces you to a laboratory animal, and.
Speaker 2: The long term physical consequences for these men were devastating.
Speaker 1: The Fox six investigation tracked down over fifty crew members involved in these specific shipboard tests.
Speaker 2: Didn't they They did, and they uncovered a shocking pattern of severe chronic illness among them.
Speaker 1: We need to say their names because the secrecy of this program actively tried to erase them. Chief Lenin, who dedicated his life to the Navy, battled aggressive cancer. Charlie Gears developed debilitating asthma shortly after his service. Jim Hamlin suffered from a tumor on his lung.
Speaker 2: And the physical suffering, terrible as it was, was really only half of their ordeal.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: The true agony for these veterans was the impenetrable wall of classification they slammed into when they tried to seek help.
Speaker 1: Oh right, when they went to the va exactly.
Speaker 2: For decades, these men went to doctors, went to the Veterans' Affairs offices, trying to explain that they were exposed to something during their service, But because Project Sahad was so deeply classified, the military consistently denied the events ever even happened.
Speaker 1: So they're sick, they know why they're sick, but the government is gaslighting them.
Speaker 2: The veterans couldn't get the specialized medical care they desperately needed, or could they get the basic human acknowledgment that their government had harmed them. They were fighting an invisible internal enemy, and the government that unleashed it refused to confirm its existence.
Speaker 1: And while the Navy was conducting these tests out on the open ocean, the US Army Chemical Corps was running its own massive classified medical testing program on land.
Speaker 2: Yes, this brings us to the Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland.
Speaker 1: Between nineteen fifty five and nineteen seventy five, the Army ran experiments on approximately seven thousand American soldiers there.
Speaker 2: The sheer scale of the Edgewood experiments is just difficult to comprehend. According to the declassified Veterans Affairs records, those seven thousand soldiers were intentionally exposed to more than two hundred and fifty different chemical compounds two hundred and fifty over two hundred and fifty. The inventory included severe irritants, blistering agents like mustard gas, potent psychochemicals, and highly lethal nerve agents.
Speaker 1: So the official documentation, the paperwork used to justify the budget for this to Congress, presumably claimed these tests were entirely defensive.
Speaker 2: Yes, they stated they needed to understand the effects of low dose chemical exposures so they could design better countermeasures.
Speaker 1: There is actually archival footage of officials proudly talking about developing a new lightweight, canisterless mask and treating combat fatigues to repel vapor and spray droplets of blister gases.
Speaker 2: The PR spin was heavy, but the methodology crossed a massive ethical boundary, even by the lack standards of the time.
Speaker 1: I really need to challenge the language used in that PR campaign because the archival promotional materials continuously refer to these seven thousand soldiers as volunteers. They bragged about the patriotism of these military volunteers stepping up to test the equipment.
Speaker 2: It's a very loaded term in this context.
Speaker 1: Extremely The source material explicitly reveals that many of these soldiers exhibited severe immediate symptoms during the tests, and the most damning detail is that the military never planned any long term medical follow up as part of the original study design.
Speaker 2: That is the right.
Speaker 1: If you are intentionally exposing a soldier to a nerve agent, but you have deliberately chosen not to track what happens to their nervous system five or ten years down the line, and you minimize the immediate dangers, can you legally or morally call them a volunteer? How can there be informed consent if the researchers themselves refuse to acknowledge the long term risks?
Speaker 2: You are absolutely right. The mechanics of informed consent require that the subject is fully briefed on the potential risks. By intentionally excluding long term follow up from the experimental design, the military structurally blinded itself to those risks.
Speaker 1: Willful ignorance exactly.
Speaker 2: You cannot inform a soldier of a danger you are actively refusing to measure, and the way the military chose to manage the public optics of this danger is incredibly revealing.
Speaker 1: Oh, you mean speedy, Yes, The.
Speaker 2: Source material points to a specific public relations maneuver involving a cat named Speedy.
Speaker 1: When I read the file on Speedy the cat, I was genuinely floored. It is so absurd it almost feels like a dark comedy sketch.
Speaker 2: It really is the weaponization of absurdity to mask and atrocity. The military actually produced these upbeat, cheerful newsreels featuring this feline mascot, Speedy, participating in the testing program alongside the soldiers, a.
Speaker 1: Literal cat in a chemical weapons testing facility.
Speaker 2: Yes, and to reassure the public, the military announced in this news reel that Speedy had recently had a healthy litter of kittens. They presented this as undeniable biological proof that quote, at no time were they in danger of suffering any permanent injury.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 2: They took the immense, complex physiological risk of exposing seven thousand human beings to hundreds of toxic chemicals and reduced it to the reproductive success of a cat.
Speaker 1: It is incredibly patronizing. Imagine suffering the agonizing burning effects of a blister agent or the terrifying hallucinations of a psychochemical and your command structure points to a newsreel of a cat and tells you everything is perfectly safe. It completely invalidates the genuine physical suffering of those When you.
Speaker 2: Analyze Project SAD and the Edgewood Arsenal collectively, they reveal a deeply entrenched institutional pathology. Oh so, the chain of command became so consumed by the overarching narrative of the Cold War, this absolute existential necessity of preparing for a Soviet chemical or biological strike, that they completely devalue the individual rights and the bodily autonomy of the American soldier.
Speaker 1: The mission became everything, the men became nothing exactly.
Speaker 2: The ultimate tragedy of these programs is that the profound, lasting damage was inflicted on these veterans not by a foreign adversary, but by their own commanders, who then hid the evidence behind a wall of top secret stamps.
Speaker 1: Let's shift our focus here, because we have spent time examining how the government, operating within this dark classified ecosystem, manipulated the physical environment and the bodies of its citizens and soldiers. Right, But the declassified archives reveal an entirely different kind of manipulation too. They show us how the government manipulated information itself. Yes, secrets and shaped intelligence aren't just used to test weapons in the fog. They are used to manufacture the justification for entire wars. We are moving to August of nineteen sixty four. We need to talk about the Gulf of Tonkin.
Speaker 2: The Gulf of Tonkin incident is a masterclass in how a single murky, highly questionable data point can be structurally manipulated to alter the course of global history.
Speaker 1: Set the stage for us. What was the public told at the time.
Speaker 2: The public narrative, which was released by US officials in early August nineteen sixty four, was stark and alarming. They claimed that North Vietnamese forces had launched unprovoked, deliberate attacks against American naval destroyers operating in international waters in the Gulf of Tonkin, Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, to understand how the manipulation works here, we have to separate the reality of August second from the fiction of August fourth.
Speaker 2: Right, there were two alleged incidents.
Speaker 1: The first incident, involving the USS Maddox on August second, is a matter of historical record. It actually happened. But then text is crucial. The Mannox wasn't just on a Pleasure cruise. It was conducting a DeSoto patrol.
Speaker 2: Which is a specific type of intelligence gathering mission.
Speaker 1: Right they were intercepting North Vietnamese communications right off their coast. A skirmish occurred. It was real, but it was a complex, localized, and highly nuanced military engagement.
Speaker 2: The August second engagement was messi but crucially, it was not sufficient to justify a massive, unilateral escalation of American military power.
Speaker 1: The Johnson administration wanted to escalate.
Speaker 2: Though they did, but they needed a clear, undeniable provocation to sell it to the public and to Congress. And that brings us to the alleged second attack, the event that purportedly occurred on August fourth.
Speaker 1: And that second incident became the foundation, the singular catalyst that President Lyndon B. Johnson took to Congress.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was the direct justification for the Gulf of.
Speaker 1: Tonkin Resolution, and the scale of that resolution cannot be overstated. It wasn't just a minor authorization to fire back, it fired upon. It gave LBJ broad sweeping, virtually unchecked authority to radically expand US military involvement in Southeast Asia. And he got it all without a formal declaration of war from Congress.
Speaker 2: It was essentially a legislative blank check, and it turned Vietnam into the defining, tragic conflict of a generation.
Speaker 1: And this is where the declassified NSA materials completely dismantle the official history we were all taught.
Speaker 2: Yes years later, when the signal intelligence and the internal communications were finally declassified, the evidence conclusively proved that the August fourth attack simply did not occur as it was presented to the American public and to Congress.
Speaker 1: It was a ghost exactly.
Speaker 2: There was no unprovoked, coordinated second assault on American destroyers that night.
Speaker 1: See. I want to make sure I understand the exact mechanics of this deception, because it wasn't a case of a president just making something up out of thin air in the Oval office. It's like a game of bureaucratic.
Speaker 2: Telephone, Right, That's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 1: Imagine a sonar operator in the middle of a massive storm at sea. The radar is bouncing off waves, the thermoclines in the water are creating ghost echoes on the sonar screen. The weather was reportedly terrible that night, right, So the operator says, I'm seeing anomalies. Maybe torpedoes, but the weather is terrible and I can't be sure. How does that hesitant uncertain report from a sailor turn into an absolute certainty on the president's desk.
Speaker 2: Well, the declassified NSA documents use a very specific clinical phrase to describe this process. They state that the available intelligence was actively shaped shaped. Yes, it wasn't a whole cloth fabrication. It was the weaponization of confirmation bias within the intelligence hierarchy.
Speaker 1: They saw what they wanted to see precisely.
Speaker 2: The administration had a deeply held desired policy outcome. They wanted the authority to expand military operations in Vietnam to counter communist influence.
Speaker 1: So that desire filters down.
Speaker 2: That intense political desire created a massive gravitational pull with than the bureaucracy. When the confusing, contradictory data from the night of August fourth came in, the ghost radar echoes, the intercepted communications that were mistranslated or applied to the wrong day, the intelligence apparatus did not present the president with the profound uncertainty of the commanders on the seat. They cleaned it up at every level of the chain of command. The qualifiers were stripped away, the maybis were deleted. They smoothed off the edges of the data until it perfectly matched the narrative the administration needed. They shaped the intelligence to fit the policy, rather than shaping the policy to fit the intelligence.
Speaker 1: Intelligence shaping it's a beautifully sterile bureaucratic term for a systemic lying biomission.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: And the absolute tragedy of it is how flawlessly it worked. Congress didn't push back. They overwhelmingly passed the resolution. The source material includes an incredible, really sobering admission from Senator William Fulbright.
Speaker 2: He was a key figure in all of this.
Speaker 1: He was highly influential, instrumental in guiding the Tonken resolute through the Senate, and when he was questioned about it years later after the truth came out, he gave this quote. He said, I accepted the story given to us by the President and mister McNamara and mister Rusk, and I believe General Wheeler. I had no reason at that time, and under those circumstances, to doubt the validity the truthfulness of this whole operation.
Speaker 2: Senator Fulbright's admission is the ultimate cautionary tale for a functioning democracy. Just blind trust Right here is a powerful, intelligent experience, Senator, and he candidly admits that he simply trusted the executive branch. Implicitly, he assumed that the intelligence data presented by the Secretary of Defense and the military brass was objective and empirical.
Speaker 1: This is exactly why analyzing these declassified sources is so critical for US today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it demonstrates that in moments of intense national crisis, when the drum beat for war is at its loudest and the pressure to unify is immense, critical thinking cannot be suspended.
Speaker 1: You can't just nod along when.
Speaker 2: The government and stands before the public and declares we have undeniable proof. The immediate necessary response from the press and the legislature must always be show us the unshaped data.
Speaker 1: Because if the Gulf of Tonkin was the shaped intelligence that provided the legal cover to escalate the war, our next set of declassified files reveals how that war was secretly expanded beyond any legal or geographical boundaries.
Speaker 2: We are moving forward in time a bit to nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 1: The Johnson administration is out, the Nixon administration is in power, and we are looking at the mechanics of Operation Menu.
Speaker 2: To understand Operation Menu, have to understand the geography of the conflict. The Vietnam War, despite the name, was not neatly contained within the borders of North and South Vietnam.
Speaker 1: The borders were pretty poorous.
Speaker 2: Very The North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong heavily utilized supply routes, specifically the Home Marine Trail, and established massive base camps just across the border in neighboring Cambodia.
Speaker 1: But Cambodia was officially an under international law, a neutral sovereign nation, exactly, the.
Speaker 2: United States was not legally at war with Cambodia. However, from a purely strategic military perspective, the Nixon administration believed that destroying those sanctuaries was absolutely essential to protecting American troops in South Vietnam and forcing the North to the negotiating table.
Speaker 1: So they just decided to bomb them anyway.
Speaker 2: They authorized a massive, sustained covert bombing campaign inside Cambodian territory, and this campaign was highly classified under the code name Operation Menu.
Speaker 1: I really have to pause on the naming convention here because the cognitive dissonance is just staggering to me. The menu names, yes, they called the overarching campaign operation menu, and the specific targeted bombing phases were given these surreal food themed designations. You had breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, supper, and dessert. I mean, I am struggling to comprehend the psychological detachment required to name a campaign of earth scorching mass destruction after a casual dining experience.
Speaker 2: The nomenclature is deliberately macabre. It SERTs a very specific psychological function within a command center.
Speaker 1: Right, but what kind of distance does it create for a commander sitting in a secure, air conditioned war room. They are looking at a map ordering dessert, knowing full well that that order translates into B fifty two strato fortresses unleashing thousands of tons of high explosives onto a neutral country. It sanitizes the violence so completely that it almost turns it into an abstraction.
Speaker 2: It creates an essential emotional buffer for the people giving the orders. You're right, but if you look at the underlying philosophy driving the operation, it was anything but sanitized. What do you mean the source material site? Henry Kissinger, who served as Nixon's national security advisor, and they highlight one specific recurring word that the administration emphasized regarding their strategic posture. The word is brutality.
Speaker 1: Brutality That isn't a word usually see in polished diplomatic cables.
Speaker 2: No, it is highly revealing. The Archives quote Kissinger explicitly stating, you're dealing with people, and you have to be brutal in your use of power.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: He rejected the idea of treating Cambodi in Vietnam as separate political entities. In a message regarding the bombing, he stated, we link the two. They viewed the entire Southeast Asian theater as a single fluid chess board.
Speaker 1: But the most historically significant aspect of the operation menu documents isn't just the tactical military strategy, is it.
Speaker 2: No, it is the elaborate, complex architecture of deception built to hide it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the mechanics of that deception. Because the secrecy here wasn't designed to hide the bombers from the enemy, not at all. The North Vietnamese knew they were being bombed. The Cambodians obviously knew they were being bombed. You cannot stealthily drop thousands of tons of ordinance from a B fifty two.
Speaker 2: The enemy was fully aware, the ground was literally shaking. The secrecy was not for tactical military advantage on the battlefield, then who is it for? The internal planning documents from the Nixon did ministration reveal a highly coordinated, deliberate bureaucratic effort to evade the American press and the American public.
Speaker 1: The system they used to hide this was incredibly complex. They utilized a dual reporting system.
Speaker 2: Explain how that worked for the listeners.
Speaker 1: So a pilot would be officially briefed for a bombing run over a legitimate target in South Vietnam. The official paperwork would reflect that legal target, but once they were airborne, a ground directed radar station would take over and basically give them new coordinates, guiding the bomber across the border into Cambodia.
Speaker 2: Right. They bait and switch in midair.
Speaker 1: And then after the strike, the post flight reports were completely falsified by the officers to show the bombs had fallen on the original legal target in South Vietnam.
Speaker 2: That is an astonishing level of institutional fraud.
Speaker 1: It is the administration issued direct instructions to officials on how to handle the press too. If reporters started asking questions about explosions near the Cambodian border, officials were instructed to treat the strikes as routine legal military operations were to simply stonewall with a no comment.
Speaker 2: So let's recap that the enemy knows, the victims on the ground know. The only people who are systematically intentionally kept in the dark are the American citizens whose tax dollars are funding the bombs exactly.
Speaker 1: This secrecy was weaponized purely as a tool for domestic political management.
Speaker 2: Because the administration knew that openly expanding the war into a neutral country would ignite massive political backlash, supercharge the anti war movement, and potentially derail Nixon's presidency.
Speaker 1: So they made the calculated decision to execute the campaign in total darkness and systematically lie to the legislative branch and the public.
Speaker 2: But secrets of that magnitude, involving that many moving parts in that many pilots, they eventually leak.
Speaker 1: And when the truth about the secret bombing of Cambodia finally broke, the fallout was catastrophic to the American psyche. The source material notes that it fundamentally fed the growing pervasive sense that the American government had completely lost its credibility at ability gap right, you cannot repeatedly, structurally lie to your citizens about where you're dropping bombs and expect them to trust you when you ask for more troops or more funding.
Speaker 2: It ruptured the fundamental bond of trust between the governed and the government, and the source includes a profound, almost tragic reflection on the massive disconnect between American policy makers and the reality of the region.
Speaker 1: It notes that the United States fundamentally misunderstood the ground reality.
Speaker 2: Yes, the quote reads, we still thought that what we have to offer is democracy is certainly good for them, but you have to have the other side agreeing. They saw it completely differently.
Speaker 1: The American leadership, insulated in their war rooms believe they were dispensing necessary tough medicine for the greater good of halting global communism.
Speaker 2: But to the people on the ground, eventually, to the disillusioned American public, it just looked like unchecked, unaccountable in illegal destruction.
Speaker 1: We have traced this intricate thread of secrecy, compartmentalization, and moral gray areas through the biological tests of the fifties, the chemical experiments of the sixties, and the covert wars of the seventies.
Speaker 2: It's a dark trajectory.
Speaker 1: But to truly understand the DNA of this system, to see where this institutional template of absolute secrecy was successfully forged, we have to go back in time, back to the beginning. We have to look at the absolute apex of military secrets at the end of World War II, the moment that proved to the government what was mathematically and bureaucratically possible.
Speaker 2: We have to examine the Manhattan Project and the subsequent highly controversial Operation paper Clip.
Speaker 1: These two initiatives are the twin pillars upon which the modern military industrial complex was really built. Let's look at the mechanics of Manhattan Project first, because it's genuinely difficult for a modern mind to comprehend the sheer scale of the secret they kept.
Speaker 2: It was unprecedented. This was a nationwide, decentralized effort to engineer and construct the most complex, power full, and destructive weapon in the history of human civilization, the atomic bomb.
Speaker 1: The logistics are mind boggling. You have massive, sprawling secret cities build virtually overnight in the middle of nowhere. You have the laboratories at Los Alamos in New Mexico, the uranium enrichment facilities at Oakridge and Tennessee, the plutonium production reactors at Hanford in Washington, massive infrastructure. You have tens of thousands of people, scientists, engineers, construction workers, secretaries, all working on the singular goal. How is it mechanically possible to keep an undertaking of that massive magnitude completely hidden from the public and the press.
Speaker 2: The success of the Manhattan Project relied on extreme, ruthless compartmentalization. General leslie Grosse, who directed the project, implemented a system where information was fiercely restricted.
Speaker 1: Him to know only beyond that.
Speaker 2: Even the source text highlights a foundational principle of the project. All minds did not need to see the whole task to contribute. In fact, seeing the whole task was explicitly considered a severe security.
Speaker 1: Risk, so people didn't know what they were building.
Speaker 2: The project was so aggressively compartmentalized that the vast overwhelming majority of the personnel working on it had absolutely no idea what they were actually building.
Speaker 1: They were just processing a specific mineral or machining a tiny, seemingly random piece of metal or turning a valve on a pipe without ever grasping the true purpose of the facility.
Speaker 2: There literal cogs in a doomsday machine intentionally kept blind to the big picture of what they were assembling.
Speaker 1: It is the ultimate historical triumph of the bureaucracy of secrecy, and it culminated, as we all know, in August nineteen forty five, with the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Speaker 2: The immediate instantaneous devastation was utterly unprecedented in human history.
Speaker 1: The declassified transcripts include an incredibly chilling interrogation of a doctor U, a key figure who assisted the military in calculating and selecting the targets.
Speaker 2: Oh that transcript is haunting.
Speaker 1: In the trans script, the interviewer asks him point blank if he knew during the planning phase that thousands of civilians would be killed or injured. Doctor U answers simply yes, but then he admits that he didn't realize it would be as many as it turned out.
Speaker 2: To be, and the interviewer pushes him.
Speaker 1: The interviewer presses him, asking how many he thought would die, and he replies seventy.
Speaker 2: Thousand, seventy thousand lives extinguished in this single blinding flash.
Speaker 1: The public revelation of the atomic bomb didn't just expose a classified military project. It permanently, irreversibly altered human history. It ushered in the atomic age.
Speaker 2: But crucially for our discussion, it taught the United States government a very specific, very dangerous lesson, which was that you can keep a massive nation altering secret as long as you compartmentalize the bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: Enough that realization profoundly emboldened the National security operatus.
Speaker 2: It proved that absolute secrecy was achievable. If they could successfully hide the construction of the atomic bomb across multiple states and tens of thousands of workers, they believe they could hide anything, which.
Speaker 1: Leads directly into the profound moral quagmire of Operation paper Clip.
Speaker 2: Yes, the aftermath of the war.
Speaker 1: As World War II in Europe was drawing to a bloody, chaotic close, the US military initiated a highly classified, aggressive program to seek out, capture, and recruit Hitler's top scientists and weapons.
Speaker 2: Engineers, Operation paper Clip.
Speaker 1: I really want to pause and challenge the sheer moral whiplash of this operation. You have a nation that has just sacrificed hundreds of thousands of young American men. They crossed an ocean to defeat the Nazi regime, which is universally recognized as one of the most evil, genocidal political entities in modern history.
Speaker 2: And almost the second the gun stopped firing.
Speaker 1: The US military quietly sifts through the rubble of Germany, locates the very men who designed and built the weapons that slaughtered Allied soldiers and secretly offers them lucrative contracts in a new life in the United States. I struggled to accept the logic behind completely whitewashing their history. Why couldn't the military just extract their knowledge through interrogation? Why offer them a pristine public image.
Speaker 2: The decision was the definition of a faus Gin bargain, and the internal classified debates within the Pentagon were incredibly.
Speaker 1: Fierce, so there was pushback internally, oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: The archives revealed that there were high ranking American generals and officials who were absolutely loathed to work with Hitler's former scientists on purely ethical and moral grounds. They found the idea repulsive, naturally, but those ethical objections were ultimately systematically overruled by the brutal pragmatic logic of the emerging Cold War. The military establishment looked at the geopolitical map and concluded, the Soviet Union is our next existential enemy. If we do not weaponize this advanced Nazi aerospace and rocketry expertise for ourselves, the Soviets will capture them and they will undoubtedly use them against us.
Speaker 1: So it was just a race for the brains.
Speaker 2: In that calculus. Ethics, justice, and the memory of the Holocaust were entirely subordinated to the pursuit of strategic technological advantage.
Speaker 1: And the absolute poster child for this dark bargain is Werner von Braun, yes von Broun. He was the brilliant mastermind behind Nazi Germany's V two rocket program, a weapon that terrorized London. Through Operation paper Clip, the US brings him over, effectively scrubs his Nazi Party affiliations from his public record, and he eventually becomes the Shining Star, the charismatic face of NASA's space program.
Speaker 2: He is undeniably instrumental in designing the Saturn V rocket that eventually puts American astronauts on the Moon. It is a triumph of engineering.
Speaker 1: But as the source material pointedly emphasizes, von Braun's American success story is completely inextricably impossible to separate from the horrific truth behind his earlier work.
Speaker 2: The V two rockets that made him so incredibly valuable to the Pentagon were built using brutal Nazi forced labor. Thousands of prisoners from the Middle Baldoorra concentration camp were work to death, starved in, ex secuted in underground tunnels building those rockets, and the historical record is clear von Braun was well aware of the horrific conditions in those tunnels. He toured them, he picked labor from the camps.
Speaker 1: So when we look at footage of the Saturn View rockets sitting on the launchpad, a towering testament to American ingenuity and the triumph of the human spirit reaching for the stars, we have to confront the fact that the foundational math, the engineering, the rocketry that made it possible was literally paid for with the blood of forced labor in Nazi Germany.
Speaker 2: That is an incredibly heavy realization to carry. It forces us to confront the deeply uncomfortable reality that some of humanity's greatest, most celebrated achievements are intrinsically tied to some of its darkest, most unforgivable compromises.
Speaker 1: The source material ends with a quote that encapsulates this tension perfectly. It says, if we are to extend man's boundary to the outer reaches of the universe, it is imperative that we also resolve men's relationship with men on this earth.
Speaker 2: We reached the stars, but we did it by forgiving the unforgivable and hiding that forgiveness behind classified files.
Speaker 1: Let's pull all of these disparate threads together. When we started this journey, we talked about that blurry line between a paranoid conspiracy theory and documented history.
Speaker 2: And what we've seen today is that the line doesn't just blur under the weight of the national security state. It shatters completely.
Speaker 1: Spring a concentrated cloud of live bacteria into the fog over San Francisco to see how many citizens it would blanket.
Speaker 2: Using American sailors as test subjects to measure the efficacy of nerve.
Speaker 1: Gas, actively shaping intelligence and falsifying radar reports to justify a decade long war.
Speaker 2: In Vietnam, running a secret, devastating bombing campaign in a neutral country, and sanitizing it by naming the missions after the dinner.
Speaker 1: Menu, scrubbing the records of the architects of the Nazi war machine so they could build our rockets. I mean, if you wrote these events into a script and pitched it to a movie studio, they would reject it for being too unrealistic.
Speaker 2: But it is the unvarnished historical record. It is exactly what happens when the massive mechanisms of national security are allowed to operate in total, unchecked darkness, completely free from the friction of public oversight, legislative pushback, or open review.
Speaker 1: Secrecy is initially justified by the state as a necessary shield to protect the nation from external threats, but historically that shield inevitably morphs into.
Speaker 2: A wall, and that wall is used to hide the actions of the state from its own.
Speaker 1: Citizens, and that leaves us with a massive, profoundly unresolved tension. Because we do live in a complex, dangerous world, some level of operational secrecy is undoubtedly necessary for a nation to survive. But the true cost of that secrecy, as we've explored today, is astronomical.
Speaker 2: And it comes at a heavy, heavy price.
Speaker 1: So I want to leave you with a final provocative thought. I want you to really mul this over. Knowing what we know now about the mechanics of compartmentalization, how unchecked secrecy can successfully hide actions like operations Sea Spray or the covert bombings of Operation Menu for decades. Where do you draw the line between necessary national security and the public's absolute right to know what is being done in their name? Which of these declassified secrets disturbed you the most and.
Speaker 2: Why we really want to hear your thoughts on this.
Speaker 1: Leave a comment, share your perspective, and most importantly, keep questioning the narrative. The truth is out there, usually buried in a box of declassified files, waiting for someone to read it. Thank you so much for joining us for this edition of Thrilling Threads. We'll see you next time.