Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to Paul Davis. Just a moment, you and I will be chatting about an issue of us, some importance that you've already reported on today. First of all, I'm Dan Ray, the host of the show, and we have Rob Brooks and an assistant new trainee Dan, Dan. What's your last name? I want to give you a proper introduction, Tantano. Dan Tantano is in studio in the control room tonight, Dan tan Tanno. All right, this is sort of his first Is this the first time you're flying the plane?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I want you to know this is my three thousandth nine hundredth thirty nine hundredth edition of Nightside, So we're kind of, you know, the ying and the yang of Nightside here, my friend, and I know you're going to do a great job, and sure by fifty nine twelve to fifty eight tonight, you'll have this thing down absolutely perfectly. We in our first hour tonight, we'll be talking with four guests, no phone calls. Beginning after nine o'clock we will be taking phone calls, and at that time we are going to go back and look at the Stewart health care crisis here in Massachusetts. Going to be talking with John McDonough, a professor of the practice of Public health at the Harvard chan School of Public Health. John McDonald, a former state representative, knows this story inside and out, and we are going to trace the history here how did we get to this disastrous situation. And then later on tonight, we're going to talk about a Boston Globe former editor and now a commentator, columnist, whatever you will, with Boston old Brian McGrory. We won't talk with Brian because Brian likes to say that his writing stands alone. But we're going to talk about a very interesting article that he wrote yesterday about bike lanes on Boylston Street in Boston and maybe maybe the city at some point needs to back off putting bike lanes on every street and particularly every major thoroughfare in Boston. But first off, we are going to bring back for a curtain call here WBZ News Radio anger Nicole Davis.
Speaker 1: Nicole, fancy seeing you here.
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Are you well? As of a you know, it's been about two minutes and I had some coffee, so I think I'm doing better. Now, how are you perfect?
Speaker 2: Yes? Perfect, you always do perfectly. Anyway, Look, you've been reporting today, I guess on a survey of TSA complaints at US airports, and Logan Airport is not on the top of the list, but it's pretty close. Tell us about I.
Speaker 1: Mean around here, we like to say we're number one right now. It's just kind of a New England thing and this is something that we do not want to say we are number one, but we're number seven, so woo. This is a survey from a company called Upgraded Points. They're based in Austin, Texas, and what they did was they dug through through all the TSA complaint data that they get in from twenty fifteen through last year, so they had a good amount of data here. And what they did was they tried to see where travelers have been filing the most complaints against TSA. So again, we're not number one. We can give that title to Newark, New Jersey. Surprise or not, that is the worst airport in the country with the most complaints according to this survey. But we are again number seven. They say that just about five out of every one hundred thousand passengers that went through Logan Airport in that time filed some kind of complaint about their TSA experience, and you could call it experience. I suppose it's good or bad. It's an experience regardless.
Speaker 2: Well, you all of us want security when we were on that airplane, so we're going to make sure that everyone has been checked on the airplane and that anybody gets on the airplane who hasn't been checked. We're very concerned about that.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: At the same time, we all all of us were in a little bit of an anxious situation going through security, and we don't want to have our bags looked deeply into. But they have a job to do. I don't have any beef with the TSA people at Logan Airport. I found them all to be pretty cooperative. Any idea as to what sort of complaints people have. I mean, the TSA people really avia to protect the safety of the passengers. I like seeing TSA.
Speaker 1: Pans, sure of course. I mean being safe is important, and I don't think anybody's arguing that. But when it comes to these complaints, I've got the list up in front of me. It kind of goes all over the map. You've got complaints about mishandling of passenger property, maybe losing some stuff, and there's breaking locks on suitcases or going through people's going through people's suitcases. Of course, you know, you pack it just right, especially if it's carry on. People complaining about the TSA going through their suitcases and damaging property. Then there's some you know, complaints about people getting padded down aggressively or potentially being taken out of the line for no good reason. People also complaining about just the screening process in general. There's all sorts of different complaints on here. And then also people who have disabilities. Some have complained that TSA doesn't properly work with their medical supplies, their wheelchairs, some one and so forth, or just doesn't let them go through in an efficient manner and maybe they miss their flight.
Speaker 2: Sounds to me like the TSA folks at all of these airports are probably tasked with a bankless.
Speaker 1: Job, oh my gosh, of course, and.
Speaker 2: They are dealing with dozens hundreds of people during the shift. And I'm sure that within one hundred thousand people, there's probably a few people who are having a bad day themselves. Actually, I think these numbers are pretty low.
Speaker 1: With you at the end of the day, it could be worse. I don't five out of every one hundred thousands not the worst ratio world.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be when you think about it at Fenway Park. But there's about thirty five thousand people to go to a game. And if there were only a couple of people for every baseball game who complained of an experience, I think TSA's doing pretty well with these statistics here, to be really honest, without.
Speaker 1: I would love to see the TSA play baseball, but I can't get what I want. But you're right, You're right. I mean, it's all about looking at the bigger picture. Of course.
Speaker 2: My only problem I just flew back in on Sunday afternoon and I get a real problem. And I don't know whether it's with the airline it was Ita, or whether it was with the baggage handlers down below. Do you know how long it took us to get out luggage from the time we landed and we went right through security. The security people at Logan Airport could not have been easier. They were very thorough. If I had a good experience with TSA, both going out and coming back, guess how long you would expect from the time you land until you actually get your luggage.
Speaker 1: I mean normally anywhere from ten to twenty minutes. I suppose that the most the longest on an international flight. I've had to worry about it, but I'm assuming it's a lot longer than that an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: What was the issue? I don't think that whoever is in charge down below that. I kind of imagine they had a sufficient number of baggage handlers at the assigned to the international terminal. Now again, I don't know if the baggage handlers or employees of the airline or that they are employees of logan inport. But an hour and a half to get your luggage, Now, this is after a nine hour flight from Rome, and before that a three am wake up call, had to go through the airport at Naples, Italy, which was a zoo, and to wait an hour and a half for the luggage to come up. And it came up sporadically a couple of bags. Then we wait a few minutes. So I have a lot more complaints with whoever got the luggage off the plane into the cart, into the building, onto the conveyor belt with the TSA is.
Speaker 1: That is fair and look traveling, especially internationally, it is exhausting. It is exhausting for all of us. Nobody wants to be standing in these lines. It's a rough experience all around.
Speaker 2: So the seats get smaller every year.
Speaker 1: That really did, or I'm getting bigger. It's probably a combo of both.
Speaker 2: Seat. I was in row by the way, I was said, the last row of the plane. Oh no, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no the loo right, no, there were no, the lows were more in the middle. We were bound by the galley at which was you know, you could at least stand up.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And also they have cruise seating in the back of these international flights, which I had never seen before. Did you know that they have crew seating in these flights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen that once or twice, but I haven't seen it that often.
Speaker 2: They have a big curtain that encircles about I don't know, looks like twenty or so seats.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Big oh, comfortable seats. Wow, that were like ten feet from where most for I was squenched in.
Speaker 1: Well, to be fair, they're also working the flight, so they probably deserve a little rest. But that would be so nice six hours into a flight seeing that going Wait a minute, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to try to put on a flight attended uniform.
Speaker 1: Now I'd pay to see that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, male flight attendant uniform.
Speaker 1: Okay, begs Nicole, anytime, my friend.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon. Yea, the great Nicole Davis talking about uh I think not a huge number of TSA can place, but Logan airport number seven in the country. All right, we get back. We're going to talk about membership sharing. This is something that probably all of us at some point have done, but it's going to become more difficult to do, and we will explain we get back. By the way, if you are not able to listen to us on your radio, you can always listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. Lots of ways to pick up WBZ in nightside, both at your home, in your car, and on the internet. My name is Dan Ray. This is WVZ in Boston. Will be back right after these few messages. Now back to Dan Ray, Mine from the Window.
Speaker 1: World night Side Studios on WBZ the News Radio one.
Speaker 2: And welcome my next guest, Marbou Brown. She's a customer experience executive and founder of the customer obsession advantage. Man, that's a long name, the customer obsession advantage. Tell us first of all, Marbo, what is the customer obsession advantage?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, and Dan, it's it's a heat, not a she, but hey, the customer obsession advantage is the basically what companies get when they adopt customer obsessions as a pillar of their business strategy.
Speaker 5: All of the.
Speaker 4: Companies who have who have done that have extraordinary business results. And you know, some of the companies that are known for customer obsession include companies like Amazon, Apple, Costco, Chewy, Chick fil A, every one of these companies that I just named, If you look at what their business results look like, they are off the chart as compared with their peers. And so that's the advantage that people get by adopting customer obsession as a pillar of their business strategy.
Speaker 2: Well, that that clarifies things now. A lot of companies, I guess have decided that they want to tighten up and not allow members to share access to their product or services with non members. It's called I guess, membership sharing for lack of a better word. How much of that was going on and why is it getting shop right now?
Speaker 4: Well, look, let me tell you that, at least for a company like Costco. I know that much has been made about, you know, Costco enforcing their their policy of not allowing people to share memberships. But that's not a new thing, right, They've just found a better way to do it, long before the pandemic, long before you know, the spike and inflation and all of these kinds of things that are are causing causing people to tighten up. I have been told in Costco, let's say I was presenting my my wife's card to checkout and they didn't see her inside. I've been told that I couldn't you know, shop with with her card without her being in the store. Right, So you know that's that's not necessarily amusing. What is new is that they have more effective ways now to enforce you know, that policy around not allowing people to share memberships. And you know they do this for good reason. Look, it's the Costco faithful know that their membership fees allows Costco to do some very special things, right. It allows Costco to have this very exceptionally generous returns policy. It allows Costco to have these screaming deals that they have in the store that are surprises. But you come in and you know there's a home improvement deal that you just can't pass up because it's it's so great, And and they're doing these kinds of things all the time, and and the faithful know that their membership fees enable Costco to do this. So I doubt very much that you know, those people are going to have a lot of concerns about you know, Costco enforcing.
Speaker 2: So what you say to me, just to understand it, is if if I'm a member of one of these these business whether it's Costco or someone else, and I know my brother or my sister in law needs to go and buy a big product, if I say, hey, take my card, you'll get a little bit of a break. This somehow going to be able to figure out that that's not me when my brother or my sister in law shows.
Speaker 4: The card, right, well, well, you know, yes, they will be able to figure that out with the new methodologies that are in place these days. Because you know, if you scan your card on going into the store instead of just kind of showing it to somebody when you enter the door, well, if you scan your card. You know, then they'll be able to tell whether it's you or somebody else.
Speaker 2: How do they do that? Meaning it was if I have a card, if I guess if I got a picture on my card or someone driver's license, that's easy. But how do they know if my car has doesn't have a picture on it. How are they able to figure out it's me or my brother walking in the door?
Speaker 5: Well? Costco cards have pictures.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true. Enough, Okay, enough, Okay, that's what they do and they have been Basically they're now going to enforce that and there's been no change in the car. They're just going to enforce it a little bit more strictly.
Speaker 4: I guess they're going to enforce it a little bit more strictly. But also with the technologies that we have now, it's a little bit easier to do that type of enforcement, right. I mean, for example, if you let's say that you're using your app to enter the store, Well, the app on your phone, your pictures associated with it. You scan that. You know, whoever's checking cars out the door sees your picture, they can tell whether it's you or it's not you. I mean, you know, before you know folks would look at your card at to check out, for example, they would see that and they could tell it wasn't you. And you know, they could say, hey, this this isn't you. Now, some folks at the the checkout would.
Speaker 5: Would enforce it. Other folks wouldn't. But so.
Speaker 2: The right Let me ask you about another example. You've made that very clear. What about Netflix. I'm sitting at home and I want to watch a movie, and uh, you know, somehow I'm able. You know, we have Netflix, So I don't even know how it works. I assume that I'm sitting here, uh, and you know, and I go to a baseball game and my brother says, I want to go over and watch the basketball game. How do they know when my brother's on my TV looking for Netflix, that it's that it's him, not me. I don't get that.
Speaker 4: Well, if your brother's on your TV, yeah, and there's no problem. The question is is your brother on his TV?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And and there in lies the problem. Look, let me tell you this is the kind of thing that a company like like Netflix go They allowed to go on for an extended period of time without really doing any kind of enforcement. But but there's a lot of ways that that they could do this very simply. Look, they could set it up so that if you have one membership, you cannot be logged in in two places at the same time. The moment you log in at one place to laug you out of the other place, right. And so if I'm at home and I'm using my Netflix and somebody tries to use my Netflix in another place, it would either automatically log me off from where I'm at home, or it could it could, you know, put up a pop up and say, you know, is this you you logging in from some other place. I mean, there's ways that they can do that sort of thing. It's not that difficult the problem, you know, And let me just kind of give you a little bit of this distinction here between what has happened with Costs.
Speaker 2: About thirty seconds left them coming up on a newscast.
Speaker 4: You go right ahead, Well, all I'm going to say is that Netflix allowed this to kind of go on for an extended period of time of how trying to do any kind of enforcement and COSTCOO has always had some level of enforcement, right, and so customers are going to respond to the two things very differently. You know, when you know there's a little bit of a stricter enforcement.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha, marbo It's interesting, really interesting. It's funny how technology can help us, but sometimes technology can hurt us. Anyway, I really appreciate your time. Marbo Brown, a customer experience executive and founder of the Customer Obsession advantage. Appreciate your time. My friend will talk again.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, thank you much, and if people want to continue the conversation, they can check me out at customer Obsession dot net.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Appreciate it, Marboo, thank you so much. When we get back, we're going to talk about how to increase your odds to become a super ager super ager. We'll explain what that means, and I think it's something a lot of people might aspire to. Coming back on Nightside right after the news at the bottom of the hour on Nightside, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on wz Boston's news radio. Okay, the super aged guest. We hope get to get a little bit as the next guest. We had that out of order. So we're going to talk about this is a political year. I think all of us know that by now. It's a presidential election year. So the question is should brands stay a political in an election year with US as Scott Barredell, I think Scott has been with US before. He's an expert on branding and trust. Is there a consensus Scott that people if they sell widgets, they should just sell widgets and be happy to sell widgets to everyone. Or do companies sometimes venture into the political arena successfully? How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: It's a good question. I think that you know, traditionally brands have stayed out of polic I think that over the last decade, particularly during the Trump administration, you saw that change quite a bit, with you know, it becoming more common for brands to do things like you know, Major League Baseball or Delta Airlines coming out in a that was.
Speaker 2: A huge mistake for Major League Baseball. You mean taking an All Star Game out of Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the Major.
Speaker 2: League Baseball And by the way, I believe that the All Star Game is going into Atlanta next summer.
Speaker 5: Not only that, but you know this past year it was in Arlington, Texas, where the Texas Rangers play. And this it was brought up that the Texas Rangers are the only Major League team that did not have a Pride Night, and so it was brought up as an issue of hey, should Major League Baseball not allow the Rangers to have the Allstar Game because of that, and the commission and said no, it's one of many reasons we consider. I think the reality is, if you go back a couple of years, I think Major League Baseball wouldn't have taken the game out of Atlanta because of the voting legislation that was passed by by the Republican legislature in Georgia. I think it's, you know this ebbs and flows, but I think it's gone back in the direction of brands trying to be a little more careful about wading into those waters.
Speaker 2: Turned out by the way that the vote turnout and that in that election was bigger than any any year in Georgia's history.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think it was turned into a bigger issue.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of hyperple involved, it was.
Speaker 2: It was the one brand that really got into some trouble was Budweiser.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, Yeah, bud Lighte aligned with a transgender activist, someone who wasn't just a social media influencer, happened to be trans He was someone who had met with Joe Biden. He was someone who had, you know, a political alignment, and I think that was part of what blew up in bud Light's face.
Speaker 2: And recovered at this point, Scott or are they are they creeping back to where they were?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Actually they I think it was kind of the last turr. They were already struggling with with younger uh beer drinkers as a brand, and you know, they're owned by Anheyser Bush, which also owns Mikelo Ultra, which is light beer that is more popular with younger people. And I think, uh, after that blew up in their faces, they said, no, maybe let's just hold onto the customers we had and not worry about trying to to expand into younger demographics and leave that to the Ultra.
Speaker 2: Younger beer drinkers tend to go for I P A s and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's true, that's true. But am but yeah, I was. I said, they've been among among the aner Bush products, you know, Mikel Ultra. Uh, they focus on uh it being lower lowering carbs and they so they try to have a health angle to to to their product, which appeals to younger people, So that's the angle they're taking.
Speaker 2: No problem does does does budwise also have Modello in their in their chain of beers?
Speaker 5: Modello, yes, I believe so, but yeah, Modello is uh, that's that's also one of the most popular beers today. So so Inneiser Busch has uh you know, you can you can take a swipe at at bud Light. But really that's just a brand owned by a big conglomerate that's making money no matter which ber you buy.
Speaker 2: That's I guess that's the point. A lot of people probably they knew who owns bud Light, that they might not know who that who owns some of these other beers that don't have bud associated with it. Michael Jordan once said, and I forget the context of the question, but I know someone was asking Michael. I think they're asking Michael Jordan why he wasn't more active politically, and I think he said, well, Republicans buy sneakers too, by right.
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly right. He was. He was asked to endorse a Democratic African American candidate for the Senate in North Carolina and he chose not to, and that was the reason he gave. Now today things are a little different. I mean, the most popular basketball players Lebron James, and he's not shy about sharing his politics. So I think to an extent, people want, especially when it's a person rather than say a brand, want people to be real about who they are and not try to hide it. So I think things have changed a little bit, but still there's no you know, better safe than sorry for most brands.
Speaker 2: So, Ludias Scott, what did they teaching at business schools these days on the very subject we're talking about here? What are they telling, you know, future business owners and corporate executives. Are they suggesting that it is time to back away and stay neutral or are they saying, hey, depending upon the issue, you may and may not want to get involved.
Speaker 5: Well, I think a couple of things. One is that there's a difference between values and politics. So you can be a brand that supports sustainability, and you can do that without dipping your toe into climate change discussions. You can value diversity and really support that in your hiring practices and other things without aligning that with DEI, which has become kind of a toxic to a lot of people. It's a political hot but there are ways to have values as a as a brand without you know, you know, shooting yourself in the foot by by stepping into a political controversy. And I think that's part of what's taught. The other thing that's taught is do your research. In other words, you know, in the case of bud Light, they made a huge mistake by aligning with an influencer that did not you know, it was not a good alignment with their customers. The same month. A lot of people don't realize that Nike uh did uh a promotion of sports spras with the same influencer, Dylan mulvaney.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: No blowback to Nike, because Nike did its research. They have a different customer base. They aligned with Colin Kaepernick. That wouldn't have worked for a lot of brands, but it works for a Nike. So know your customer and you're going to be there's less chance that something bad is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Very good advice, Scott. How can folks get in touch with you, uh if if they'd like to get some, you know, more personal advice. You're an expert on branding and trust you know what you're talking about you. You you handled questions, none of them. None of these interviews are are scripted, uh with at this hour, None of my interviews are scripted. And I threw a lot of questions at you that some other guests might not have been on a handle. You did a really great job. Is there a way folks and businesses can get in touch with you if they're they're looking to get some advice?
Speaker 5: Thanks saying that I've got a book out called Trust Signals, and so if you google Trust Signals and Amazon, it'll come up that talks about a lot of issues like this. I've also got a business called Idea Grove, soideagrowth dot com. You can find my firm there.
Speaker 2: So it's called Idea Grow.
Speaker 5: Or grove like an orange grove, so.
Speaker 2: The Idea of Grove. Okay, I just want to make sure that we got it id E A g R o ve e dot com.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 2: God. I appreciate you, freciate you joining us tonight very much. We will talk soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All Right, we get back. We have a fourth guest schedule, and hopefully they're going to find doctor Patrick Porter on how you can increase your odds it is becoming a super ager, which means somebody who lives well into their eighties and maybe even into their nineties and beyond. We will get back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. Right after these brief messages.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray line from the Window World.
Speaker 2: Night six Studios on WBZ News Radio. Well, we are welcoming Dtor Patrick Porter, who is a PhD doctor an expert in brain health on how to increase your odds of becoming a super ager. Doctor Patrick Porter, welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: It's good to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Great to have you, that's for sure. We got our signals crossed a little bit, no problem. Thanks so much for being here. First of all, let's start off with what exactly is a super ager.
Speaker 3: Well, it's somebody who can age gracefully that you're not just old, you know, in an age, but you're young in mind and physically fit with your body.
Speaker 2: Okay, And is there a point in time? Could you be a super ager in your sixties or your seventies or is it more restricted to folks who have moved into their eighth or ninth decade.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think you can do that at any age, and there's actually a competition now people actually can measure their book their bodies age and they actually show if their age being slower than the calendar. There's actually a competition for that. How do you do that?
Speaker 2: Biometrics, your question of their weight and all of that, their body fat, things like that, what is it?
Speaker 3: Everything? Yeah, a lot of things go into it, but it really has to do with They usually measure telomeres, which is one of our measurements of aging, and if you can slow that down relative to people your age, they will say that you are slowing at an earlier rate. But the real thing about a superager is you might meet somebody and they might even say they have staying power. You know, you meet somebody and you go, I can't believe you're sixty, I can't believe you're seventy whatever. You know, Like, there's somebody by the name mccathy smith who's an exercise physiologist and she's pretty famous out there. She's seventy four and if you met her, you would probably think she's fifty. Maybe she's in great shape and looks really good still, So there are people out there that are taking care of themselves.
Speaker 2: You use the term that I'm not familiar with. I think it was telemeters. Tele meters, Was.
Speaker 3: That the word there's Yeah, if you think of telomeres and the end of every DNA strand there's they they're like if you look at the caps on your shoelaces. When we're young, that cap is very solid and it doesn't fray. But at the age that that that kind of unravels. And that's why there's a point in time where it's like people will stay the same look for twenty thirty years and then something happens PAM and then they age rather quickly, and strats has a lot to do with that. If you look at the presidents of the United States, doesn't matter who who's in the office, four years later, they look like they aged, you know, thirty years instead of four years because of the stress they're under.
Speaker 2: So is that sort of test and again you using the word, did you say tell a years or telemeters, tell a mears, tellometers?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is that something that the next time people go to their PCP, their personal care physician, they can ask for that test. They can test with just about everything else. I think is that test readily.
Speaker 3: Available now, I think you've got to go to specialty places for that. I know have three different labs that do it. But I know it's not something that's commonplace in the world that we're in now. There's they call it help optimization or bio hacking, where people are are hacking their health is to retard the aging process. And you know they're they're showing up five to six years younger than they really are, things like that, and you can measure that, but it's not something that's common knowledge.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk about what people can do. I assume that probably diet and obviously diet and I assume exercise helps people stay more fit and in better shape. What if is that true? Number one? And then what else can other people do?
Speaker 3: Well? Sure? One thing too is it's also what you're avoiding. You know, you don't eat a lot of high sugar, you don't eat a lot of bad fats. You know, you're basically eating in moderation. You don't have to be a health food nut, but you have to at least eat in moderation and avoid those foods. That's number one. Number two is, yeah, you've got to get your body moving and breathing when they say twenty minutes of sitting as equivals smoking a cigarette. So these superagers are active. They're not just sitting down. They don't just watch their garden girl. They're out there working in their garden. Maybe they're walking, they're they're out socializing. This is a key for our human existence. We are social animals, so if we're not out there. They have actually in the blue zone studies which show people who age gracefully, they show that social being social is one of the key ingredients of somebody having a long in good life. Not just a long life. You know, you can be sick for thirty years and that's I wouldn't call that quality of life, you know. So but number three, you've got to do things that are going to challenge your imagination, your mind. Do things like what we do is, you know, if brain tap as, we train people's brains to stay in certain frequencies. We have five core frequencies in our brain, and if any of those get out of balance, we will start to accelerate our aging. And when the brain is out of balance right and left hemisphere, you'll start to you'll start to develop things like Alzheimer's or dementia, because the brain has to be balanced in the way that it operates, and then there are activities you can do physically, mentally, and emotionally to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, I tell that the brain being in balance, I'm not sure I understand what that means. Perhaps you could just clarify that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Our brain has a voltage. Every cell of our body holds voltage, and that's how it operates. If you think of our brain both hemispheres. They have a right hemisphere that they would say controls creativity and left hemistry that controls logical although that's not actually true. It's both hemispheres can do everything, but when those brains should be communicating, So think of voltage like a Wi Fi network, and then communicating together. As long as they're matched. Our brains when we're younger is about eighteen point one volts right hemisphere and left hemisphere. They're matched. As we age, they will vary in frequency and voltage, and when it gets too great, like let's say we had somebody in the office the other day at a research lab. There was two point seven volts in one of their hemispheres in three point two in the other Well, that's their whole problem, and they're not communicating. So think of it like they're not on the same wavelength. They're not able to communicate. And when you have a memory, like if I ask you to remember your favorite vacation, you're actually lighting up eight to ten regions of the brain, not just one region. So when you have slower voltage, the brain will create what's called moral pruning. It will actually disconnect those memories because it couldn't find them right away. So that's why challenging your mind doing things that in socializing does that. When you're having a conversation with somebody, you're listening to what they have to say, you have to come back with the response. You know, maybe you're doing some kind of game and things. These are all really great things for the brain to keep those neuropathways slowing.
Speaker 2: Okay, so socialization, that's good. We understand that. What about I liked it at the end of the day to slow down and I'm off the air at midnight. At night, I sometimes will take the newspaper and try to finish the crossword puzzle in the newspaper, and it sort of tires me out. Relaxes me and eventually, either I finish most of it, or if I finish half of it and I'm really tired, I just go right to sleep. Good idea, A bad idea.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's good for you. I mean some people would find that stressfully then, and they would some people would be like a dog with a bow and they wouldn't go to sleep till they finished it. So congratulations, you can do That's not me. Yeah, so I think doctor, I think that if you yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's just gonna say I'm flat out of time. They shouldn't have asked you such an open ended question. But doctor Patrick Porter, how can folks get in touch with you or what have you? You have a book that that that you could reference us to refer us to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've written a book called five and Overdrive to Navigate your overloaded lifestyle. Okay, And they can go to brain tap dot com for more information. There's actually a free link if they want to do some brain fitness exercises. They're not quite they're a little easier to do than Crossford puzzles, but people can get on there and they just download the app and they can use that before they go to bed as well.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent, I'm going to be on it them. Get on there myself, doctor Patrick Polte. Appreciate your time. Thank you so much. I'd love to have you back. A fascinating guest.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir, already, thank you bye.
Speaker 2: All right, we're coming back right after the nine o'clock news. We are going to dive back into the whole question of this Steward health crisis here in Massachusetts, Stewart Hospital health crisis in Massachusetts. We'll be talking with John McDonough, who's a professor at the chan Harvard School of Public Health. He understands this. I spoke with him today. He's going to answer questions and take your calls. Coming back right after the nine o'clock news.