Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and thank you for joining us again and the Seafood Matters Today I'm joined by Alexandra lieper CEO of the Iceland Ocean Cluster, a well an organization has become well known for pushing the concept one hundred percent fish. Alexandra, Welcome to Seafood Matters.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: Jan Thank you, Alexandra. We'll just get straight into it. If just to set the scene, what problem was the Ocean Cluster originally trying to solve and how much of that problem still exists today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the we're actually fifteen years old this year, the Iceland Ocean Cluster, and it was a founded originally too well address one of the biggest challenges that we see in the fisheries industry in Iceland and in fact one that we now see around the world as well, and that was historically the fisheries sector or these large commercial scale companies they were fishing in the same waters as one another. They were you know, oftentimes it's a small country, so even with offices in the same building facing many of the same challenges, but they were not in dialogue or in collaboration with one another. So it was part of the problem. And at the same time you had these entrepreneurs that had really great ideas to solve some of the fishery sector's key challenges and innovations and technology they wanted to test and try, but they hadn't spoken to the fishery sector. They didn't they hadn't connected with the industry, and they were working. I was thinking of it as working secret squirrel style and their their home offices or and their guaragees on their innovation that was going to change the industry. And also there was all this wealth of research data being collected in Eisen by the universities and by the Marina Freshwater Research Institute, and a lot of this data just wasn't reaching either of those groups effectively to be able to really provide valuable information. So the House, the Ocean Pluster House where our offices are based, and the Cluster itself as a concept came together really to invite all these different groups, the fisheries, the innovators, the research community into one space to bring together, to give them an opportunity in a neutral EKE system, to find ways to collaborate, to connect in many cases, to meet each other for the first time. And that really particularly even in a small country like this where you would think everyone knows everyone, but they often aren't speaking about, you know, their technologies or their work. So it was really a way to bring everyone together really at its heart, so to really grow innovation, grow solutions to secred challenges, particularly again in a country where fisheries is such a big part of the culture, the economy, the entire life there, and I think in Iceland that is really very much a growing ecosystem. We have more people coming through the doors every day our house that's requests. The house where we're based, it's about three thousand square meters and we have about seventy so seven zero companies today living in house with us, from brand new startup high school students with a good idea that they want to test out and they need a bit of an incubation and home all the way through to huge international companies like JBT MATEL, the biggest in the world for fish processing equipment, and we're actually all of our offices are full. So I would say that this is something that's really a challenge that has been quite addressed in Iceland if we continue to eat system as we have. But I would say every new place we go around the world, we do see this, this siloing of the industry and the research and the innovation community, and this I would say being a challenge we see everywhere. Yeah, but one which we very much hope we can help address through this cluster thinking.
Speaker 1: You know, when you say doing it in Iceland, is Iceland I can't think of in my team, but is Iceland not for its multi specie facially this could be done with a variety of species other than.
Speaker 2: Just say Gord, yeah, I mean so, I would say it's not a hugely diverse, specially in terms of I think comparing to some of the locations where we were even compared to to Scotland and where we work a lot in the US and the specific but there are you know, there are three or four main dimersal species called haddock link and also redfish, as well as no small logics. But I wouldn't say I would say it's a a few species but large volumes. So this is something that has definitely helped trigger some of these fish value chains in a in a way that might be different if you had many species in a very fragmented ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Okay, on one hundred percent fish concept. You've been closely associated with this idea of full utilization using one hundred percent of How close are we really to that and practice and an adated the operations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a really good question, because really the goal is zero waste, using every part of the seafood that we catch and farm to create value and sustainable value as well. And with the anantic cod in Iceland, so that's very much like what we think of as the model species, because that's where at least our work in Iceland focused at started in the industry had already started to move towards. And we estimate that for Atlantic cod we've gone from using about forty five percent of the Atlantic cod, which is primarily just the pilate itself, all the way through to over ninety percent now for the cod and its It's similar for other whitefish species. I mean, it's not perfect. I think there's certainly more that we could be doing, but I think it's quite interesting now when we look at growing seafood sectors on the icelandic market, for example, are is our fastest growing food production sector here. We have about sixty thousand tons if people take of vannd Atlantic salmon being produced with a lot more plans in the next five to ten years with lots of land based facilities being built. And right now we don't have a lot of processing of salmon in country, but it will be the case that there will be more and more opportunity to create value instead of waste size streams from salmon. So I say, that's something that's developing and isn't there yet. And I'm just going to pause for a second. My emails are popping up. Are you hearing that sound on your side?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, So I want to check thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't think and I don't think it would be picked up, but I'm certainly not picking it up. I wasn't aware of that.
Speaker 2: I think if you're not hearing it, then that's what I double before.
Speaker 1: I thank you for thank you. If I was the city at the same time, Alexandra, I just meant to mention to you before we started recording. Don't worry about this. I can cut this out. But my wife was getting a telephone appointment with her doctor today and she wasn't in and he's calling. She's calling them her back after and she says that she can't give a time after one. If she does and I hear it, I might say, right, we ask we go through that point again if we're in the middle or something. If you don't mind, absolutely no problem.
Speaker 2: I've got my phone on do not disturb and everything as well, so on my side hopefully that won't be the case. And I've actually locked myself in a beating room.
Speaker 1: On the earlier point, I feel it'd be interesting in your view in Iceland, but my experience of working closely with Iceland and been there many times, which I have to say I loved they were way way ahead of the UK and you probably Europe with the concept. I'm not saying they were taking one hundred percent, using one hundred percent of bets, but they were certainly using a lot more than than we were. Yeah, do you feel that's the case You more or less said that earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think certainly from what I've seen that I spend a lot of time going around processing facilities around the world. That's a sa pack of my job. I get to see a lot of what this looks like in different countries with different species, and I think is quite unique in a lot of factors that have, I say, allow it to be actually not just in the secret sector, but in a number of sectors. It allows it to be a bit of a model ecosystem because you know, we have a small population with about four hundred thousands people. Now we have the fisheries themselves, as you mentioned, you know, they're they're few species, their high in volume. There's because of the the fact that they're in general quite high value fish and we have a few people. That has meant there's been a lot of investment in automation and kind of equipment to make those businesses make more sense than perhaps it would have driven in other countries where there's a lot more labor available. I think the uniqueness of being an island and having to do a lot of this in far away from the rest of the world has meant it's been a good place to start building out those one fish value chains, particularly with the CODs where a lot of it is landed in a couple of large scale locations. There's quite a lot of vertical integration too, so the fisheries owned the vessel, owned the processing facility, and then have been able to invest in even like marine collagen factories. So there's this kind of connectivity along the supply chain, which I think has been easier to do here in a way because of the way that the ecsystem is set up. But saying that, I would say the fisheries sector themselves, the industry have been very willing to test, invest in, and collaborate with some of these innovations in order to you know, improve their margins. They've been very open to that. Like for example, before we started recording, I mentioned we had a visit last week from the EU Commissioner of Fisheries and Oceans and this was really interesting because we had a lot of the companies that are in house showcase and saying what they're doing, and many of them, of course are with technologies and innovations this fishing industry, and those companies were talking about how valuable and important to their development the openness of the fisheries industry has been here to what they're doing. Son is a unique model ecosystem that can you can test things out so then they can start to be deployed elsewhere and adapted elsewhere. So I would say it is ahead to kind of answer your question, it's ahead in fish processing and value creation for sure.
Speaker 1: Sounds very exciting. Where is the biggest way is still happening in the secret chain today? And why hasn't it been fixed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is weird. We think about this a lot. There was some really interesting and useful data that came out of World Economic Forum in twenty twenty four and it takes this globe picture of seafood loss and waste and what it highlights that wherever you are in the world, the greater proportion of that seafood loss and waste. It showed it was happening at that processing on land stage of the supply chain, so once the fisher landed, and then that processing where if it's being headed, gutted, skins, et cetera. So that's that was very interesting data to see because it kind of really reflected what had been the case in Iceland too and where those intubation interventions around one hundred percent fish had been developed from that processing on land. There is, of course, when we talk a lot about when we're in the UK and other locations too, there is a lot of cases where you know fish are headed and gutted at sea, and that that biomass, that potentially valuable materials already lost at sea before it even reaches that on land processing. But I would say those are the from that data set as also not just my anecdotal opinion, but this large collection of information really sure that that's where it's it's happening in its largest proportion, which is super interesting because that's also when it's accessible. Yeah, and you asked, why is that happening or why is it still that the case? Well, and I think that's quite a complicated question because there are quite a lot of reasons. And I think fisheries and fish processing, you know, they're focused on there in general, the primary product, getting a high quality product to market, and you know, they have their very established supply chain relationships, they have you know, the way things are done and set up, and there is it. I think it can be very challenging financially, culturally, etc. To make changes in a very established and mature ecosystem. So I think there's partly there's an element of that, like changing something when it's already working pretty well. It is a challenge. I think also one of the biggest challenges we see around the world actually is that it's it's very difficult to justify the the space, the time the cost, the labor of separating different materials, storing different materials like right at the right kind of handling quality, or even transporting them. If there isn't the connectivity or the uptaker that next step in the value chain off someone actually wants to pay money for that material and those relationships and partnerships are not in place, or those infrastructures are not in place. I think these so I spend a lot of my time thinking about innovation, but actually these kind of more fundamental things are I think, what are those big hurdles for more utilization to be happening, particularly at that persons on that stage and even on the story and they're bringing to land on the vessels.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that, I would say, Alexandra, that's a good thing about what you've doing there and with the cluster, and I take it that there's speaking to lots of different people, and I think that is so important because I'm even you know, a small project like I had a seafood restaurant for twenty years and right in far north of Scotland. Now small project, small family run business. My wife is a front of the house. I was looking after the kitchen and I thought it was fascinating that what carried me I was no, I was no chef. Yes, I went to I went to college. The local college is a fifty two when I was fifty two, so you could say a mature student, okay. But and it was fascinating just by talking to different people. There was Japanese people involved in a joint venture this way in a factory, and things that we know just through a very small operation. So we get people talking together. I think it's just can't be anything but good for the industry. The Japanese people, we discovered fish liver, like a monkfish liver and stuff like that. That's an absolute delicacy in Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we had a group in Dutch people and they took the Norwegians and one of them is from Lafotin and here we learn that are almost like a national dish in La Fortin. There's a cord head and I'm saying that the guy is as well. They're very conservative. The people in UK, they're not really adventurous, he says. Look, he says, as a vacant feast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's interesting you touch on that. I totally agree. Everything is relationships and partnerships, and I think having conversations with people that you wouldn't have had a conversations with and you discover a new way to look at something. But also I think the thing you just touched on there with La Fulton as well is the importance of storytelling. And I'm going to say use the word marketing, but like, how do you tell something and how do you tell people it's exciting or that they should be interested in it. I think these are two super powerful things in how do we use more of us eafood and create more value from what we do catch?
Speaker 1: And also discovered the thaie in Thailand, you know the bone of the particularly salmon when after they're filleted, the bone that's left Thailand's they are desperate for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then in Spain, the north of Spain, the bass reads and the tradition and they use the cheeks and the tongues of the cord. Absolutely so yeah. And here in our recent podcast with guys in the retail sector of fishing in industry in the UK haiden cutting and I thought it was fantastic. You know the collar just at the top of the fillet of the where the gills with the cord he class that does a chicken wing of the sea. I love it.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes what we call things and how we particularly find in the way that different cultures and in different countries can work with different parts of the fish. It opens up a whole new piece that there's a wonderful company and they call Regal Springs that they're primarily the tea farming, but there they they've kind of reimagined their whole product departments. Obviously the filler of the tilapia is the main one that originally was interest to the market, but they've renamed everything else. For example, there as the colors as well as natural additions, so there are these other parts of the fish that are also tasty. It's just like how do you use them? And I think you mentioned your background as a chef, Like chefs and people that can be innovative with food are such an important part of the conversation. I've had an amazing like I say, one fish meals well. I like fish sausages for example, it's a big thing which had them in Iceland. They also in the Great Lakes. The delicious like all these kind of value add ways of using material that I mean also we're actually getting the primary nutrition. There's this really cool company in Finland, Halia that are working with the cutoffs primarily from the trap sector of Finland and essentially reprocessing them into a high quality product that's ready to sell and to cook with. So it's just, yeah, there's a lot of very cool ways to reimagine how we eat nasty food.
Speaker 1: Oh, some younger son lives in Australia and we've been there visiting her and fish sausage is great in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, delicious and it's healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, definitely. I used the when I had the project this seafood restaurant. I used the belly of maybe obviously bigger fish like a cord or and catfish as well, or wolffish as some people call it, and maybe make it into gushans or say I used to call it. I used to put it in the menu fish fingers and then brackets, not captain bird'seye. Now I will admit that I wasn't a newer slogan one hundred percent of the fish. I would say the fish finger was one hundred percent fish exactly.
Speaker 2: I think it's more and more chefs I think exploring this as well, because they're like scale to tail menus. We haven't mentioned it yet, but we have the sister ocean clusters around the world that we helped get started to kind of replicate what we're doing, and particularly those in Oregon and in the Great Lakes have been very active in teaming up with chefs that have been putting together these amazing menus of you know, every part of for example, the belly and put these into like the soft like bow buns like it's spilling or I just really beautiful ways to present these foods as well. So it's really it becomes gourmet and interesting and yeah, it's really cool to see what I'm a terrible cooker, I've said, my partner does all the cooking signs. It's always very pleasantly surprised how much lovely food I get to eat.
Speaker 1: I had some catfishlast night, and I took the belly and I made a cut in thin strips, and I was just sending a photograph of it to the skipper who I got the catfish from, and as I was saying, look, when you think of it the fish, that what the cart the cartfish, or we call it cartfish and Wolffish in Iceland.
Speaker 2: Or yes, technically stainbyat is a stone bi oh yeah right.
Speaker 1: Yeah steinb exakly right, it's the same in Pharoh the way I described the skipper because he's a Scottish fisherman, it's a headache or nothing as far as he's And he says to me, well this is you're sort of no wasting anything jump And I said, well, look you just think of it. Look at what the catfish diet is a it's all the shellfish that we pay a fortune for so living, that's life, So it can't be anything else but but delicious. So it's full utilization, commercially driven or are we still leaning on sustainable at the inaratives to push it forward.
Speaker 2: This is a really good question because particularly the way that we think about it here, if it's not if a solution or a change to a business, it's only done for sustainability, and it doesn't make business sense or investment case sense, then it's not going to be it's not going to be sustainable, So it's not for the companies won't be able to continue to do it, or they'll do it and struggle, or it will be kind of a secondary part of their activities that they do, because you know, there's spetification boxes that they have to tick. And this is not to downtock sustainability at all. Stendbility is extremely important in terms of the environmental side of it, but it has to go hand in hand with what makes business sense. So I would say certainly the work that we do in the way that the industry and islands has evolved, and the work that we're now doing with other groups around the world, our focus is really on well, maybe take you a little bit through the process of how we explore it, because I think that kind of addresses that as well, because we where we focus on the sustainability pieces that when we're working with fisheries or companies, we are focusing on those fisheries that are you know, sustainably managed, are MSc certified or similar, although we're trying to find ways to support where they're not as well now. But it's working with these fissueries and then looking at okay, what volumes of what species and what parts of the fish are where and how they handle and what is it like now, and then we kind of dive directly into a Okay, well, what is the nutritional and functional properties of each of those parts of the fish, and based on those functional properties, what potential products actually make market sense? What is the business case of this? What does the return and investment look like? Okay, then that that highlights what is the root of what are the products that can be developed, and I mean the focus and the priority of the types of value in the scale of those businesses and the even the types of products that are interesting to create. While it's all sustainable because it's finding ways to not lose a waste any part of our seafood, that it's making it all that it's rooted in in business and investment case sense, because if you just come in with a sustainability solution, then it becomes something that the companies do and maybe emptying a bit in my opinion he now, but something that the companies do because they have to do, not because it actually is improving their margins or in improving their their resilience in a time of crisis. So I think it's it's got to be good for the bottom line as well as a sustainability. That's very much a philosophy with I'm fish.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree with you are more there, Alexandra, and everything you said there about the margins and profitability in that, and it just puts my makes me think again. Good back to this small project with the restaurant. I was of the mind I was using the belly flaps, the collars, every every part, and I've as far as I was concerned, I just felt, look, I'm my business. I'm a small business here. I've bought this fish, so why throw a lot of it, don't we? If I can, if I can return and get a return on as much of it as.
Speaker 2: I can, Absolutely, and I think it's it was maybe a bit surprising because I've been at the Ocean Cluster now for just over five years, and I think it was quite surprising to me to start with it. Actually it was entrepreneurs and business finance minded people that were at the beginning had come to the cluster and while asking, Okay, well we know all this Colton Haddocks skin is going to landfill, that's potential value lost, what could we do with it? Wasn't a case of the primary thought wasn't all while it's breaking down in land film producing methane and this is a greenhouse gas. So it's a problem that we should deal with. It's like, here's the opportunity. So we really do view everything through the lens of what's the opportunity, and yeah, just so that it sticks and companies once they see the benefit of doing it. The also the numbers in a proper you know, business investment case, because I think that's also a challenge of like, oh, hey, well, here's the potential value could be creating. And to go from you know, side streams that are going to landfill or you know being taken away and even being paid to be recycled to actually a valuable product on the market. There's a you know, there is investment, there is withn on investment time, there is steps that need to be taken, and there is the right timing, there is the right type of product of development. So I think that this is such a key part of that that development as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, another thing I feel quite strongly about myself. As you'll see delegations some organizations, maybe chefs organizations or or the like of that they'll arrange for the delegation to go just say, for example, here Peterhead is a big market, the chef organization arrange for chefs to get to the fish market. And I'm not knocking it. I think great, But I just feel with things like that, it should be taken further. And I would say, personally, let's say I would take it a stage further and say, don't stop in the fish market. Get the chefs on board the boats talking to the fishermen, and get the fishermen into the kitchen and watch the chef. And I feel there's so much the chef could look at what maybe some of the things the crew are doing on board. As a holes ants come on board and they're working on the fish. The chef could say, oh, look at that, what are you doing with that? I could use that, or I would maybe there's throwing it away or it's going to I could tell you another story about the lobster be it. And then when the fisherman is in the kitchen watching the chef doing something, you could say, well, we cut another fish that I think maybe you want to try with that dish.
Speaker 2: I think that do you feel that I love that idea. Yeah. I had a pleasure to visit Peter Heead recently. It's it's nice to have it in my mind while you're talking about it, and it's yeah, I think this would be such a wonderful way. It's like, oh, if you handle this sightly definitely on board, I could you know, put it in this dish in this way or Yeah. It's so interesting to hear the parallels of this because there is a Scottish ocean cluster being built out by CPI Scotland doing amazing stuff and we actually the reason that I was with them, they ran work workshops. For example in phraser Rome, we visited Ptered that was one of the stops of these workshops to really understand what could the cluster be doing to support one hundred percent fish in the white PA sector, what was needed by the industry and the researchers. In these workshops, there was one in Auburn, there was one in Glasgow, there was one in fraser Rap and it was really interesting because both the industry and the processes as well as the research community, they were both saying the same thing that they wanted to have more interaction together. They wanted the researchers really wanted to be doing relevant science and research, but they'd never been to a processing factory before. They know been out on the boats. They hadn't actually had those conversations with you know, the people that were experiencing the history's industry every day. And at the same time, the industry was saying, actually love to have PhD students or researchers come to the facilities and understand that problem is better. It was so interesting to hear It's like, Okay, yes, let's get people crossing over outside of their their ex system and bubbles. And I'm super excited for what the Scottishish and Cluster team is is kind of making happen there because there's so much need for this, the crossover experiences. Yeah you all walks of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that fascinated me having been my father with that fisherman, so as my life in the fishing industry. From the fishing industry, I would class myself and although I was in a restaurant for twenty years, and yes that's the hospitality industry, but my menu was one hundred percent seafood, So I classed myself as still in the fishing industry even in the restaurant. Sure. But one of the things that fascinated when you with that Alexandra was been at members of different organizations and at the meetings and confidences and that with the chef's hat on, I was fascinated to discovered how dumb a little and how much in common fishermen and chefs actually have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, they really value the product they're working with you. They're they're very connected with it. They want to see something good quality came out of it. Their naturalies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from a fisherman's point of view, they'll be listening to this and thinking what does this actually change for me? Are they seeing are they to see more value coming back to them or is this more that the value has still been realized further up in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is I think it kind of links so much to that it has to make sense for communities, for businesses, for people to engage, and I think it has to make sense for the fishermen as well too. It's just reminded me also of conversations we've had. I'm just gonna use an example from Alaska because it's it was it's quite a different eke system to the UK and to Islands as well for the dishury sector there, because there they had small family fishing companies that really wanted to handle a better product, wanted to you know, look out an material better, wanted to do for utilization. But the challenge was for all the better handling they did, they were not getting a better price for their fish at the processor because there was so much competition for volume. So I think this is really interesting because though we've been exploring what does that look like? And this particular company has been actually teamed up with some Icelandic companies and there's a lot of conversation happening in Alaska. How does this work for the fishermen? So just your question really brought this to mind because I think that is so important that that the value travels through the value chain. So for example, to take it to Scotland, like when I was out there recently, I was visiting a scallop processing facility and there, you know, it's the it's the meat and sometimes the meat and the go and add the solders. The you know, is bought by the processor from the fissure to the procesum facility. But then the skirts and any other vista and the shells. Is it either being taken away at a cost or in some cases being given away or like they have a small value associated, but I think if there was an uptaker that was or a value creation from let's say those shells, where the processor was getting more for the shell, that means then further down the value chain for the fisher they have more power to because there's not just the meat and the gonut, but also the shell which has its own piece of value creation there. So I think that is an element that's really important and also why it's so key for people to be speaking together around value chain as well, not so the fishes and the processes, and that the next up taker, be that a retailer or be that a whole seal buyer, like to have those conversations. But yeah, I think it's really important and just there is a role for clusters really to play in that navigating those conversations too.
Speaker 1: I know when good back I don't have. I don't know the current situation, but the problem with it what we call the skirt on the scarlet, what the processor wasn't allowed to keep it, and it was a food standard agency. It's not that they had a market for it, it's the food that standard agency. I was saying that the toxins and things were gathered in that which I don't understand that, but my goodness, the skirt of a scallop, it'll make a source like nothing else.
Speaker 2: It's quite like a billion like stock would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just brilliant. What a stock that would make for soup or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think this is an interesting piece is well because I think the handling the food safety, which is one thing of course this is important, but also handling too because often when things are processed and they're not let's take the skirts for example, and they're taking off the processing belt and you know, thrown to the box or they're turned to the floor, even they're no longer you know, food grade, that also changes what you can do with them. And it's not specific a scallops, but in many processing abilities. If you don't continue to handle the product all these different past of the product as grade, this can be very challenging of what we can do with it next. But I think because we do, we look outside of the space of food as well. And when we're talking about one hundred is utilization with for sure, food is a big part of that, but we're also thinking about nutritional supplementation, cosmetics and other biomasses that can be used even into the fuels for example, where you could then at least uh remove the risk of human toxicity and if it was used as the edible product. But even into things like biotechnology, into into biomedical applications, there's a lot that could be done, or even textiles and materials. So I think I'm very much an optimist and like solutions orientated, I do think there is a there is a fit for every different materials. Just finding what that right one is and yeah, and also figuring out maybe what what testing or what measures on one you need to be done in order to make that material available, because right now I think in most cases those skirts just go to landfill.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, but you said there just reminded me of a weak cutch frase I used to use at the restaurant. There's a fish for every dosh and a dish for every season.
Speaker 2: Love it, Yes, not exactly what it is. I was trying. I was trying to think of an analogy for us. I'm sure this is saying somewhere, yeah, perfect, So the fish fairy dish and the fish ferries or dish to every season, Yes, exactly, And I think that's also i'd say something that I feel like the cluster ecosystem opens up the opportunities because we have in the house and within our ecosystem. Yes, of course we have the fishery sector, we have the aquaculture sector, that we have the processing and the technology sector. We have more and more we have the information and the AI technology ecosystem. But we also have people that are doing cosmetics and wellness and marketing and medical applications. And it's also that it's an analogous to what you said about the different food cultures as well, because you don't know what values they can have until someone says, oh, hey, okay, you're right, you can't use that over here in your industry. But you know, we're actually looking for something like this in the in the cosmetics sector, in the material sector. Yeah, I think it's just fascinating. What if you can bring these different diverse perspectives together, what can come out of it. We have a lot of artists actually as well in house, which is really I always love working with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My act phase I used was more from our point of view, trying to encourage people to eat, not just stick with the species that they they think this is their favorite just move with the seasons and don't stick with the species. They move with the seasons, and I was I felt quite strongly as well. When we talk about sustainability the world, I would say my description would be the most overused word in the English language. And I feel the key to sustainability is seasonality, local and I always would follow that up by saying, if we eat everything in season, we're healthier and the fish stops are healthier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I think that also comes to the people knowing what's in season and what's available where, and having local access as well. In tiers, I think like that you say your restaurant has been a great route to doing that. I just sorry. It reminds me of a statistical work. We work with an organ Ocean Clusters. It's one of our sister Ocean Custers in the US, and that sister Ocean Custer actually got started through the Oregon Coast Business Associations, so from a tourist perspective, because what they were finding, they did some measuring and monetary and during COVID they found that ninety of the seafood caught and produced in Oregon was shipped out and about ninety percent I think it was something around ninety was from overseas was shipped in to be the seafood at seafood restaurants. So it's such a fascinating kind of They've got all this wonderful seafood on the Oregon coast, but a lot of it actually wasn't even available in the area, and that's really what triggered them to start looking into well local seafood, but also then for utilization and connecting all these really distributed actors. And it is fascinating because you don't think about that eating when you're going to the seaside. Oh of course I'm eating fish from here, but actually that's not always the case. So I think that can really complicate the decision making.
Speaker 1: I remember when he's talking to wholesaler are based in Georgia and US, and I was absolutely stargard because we went a lot when our family were younger. We went a lot the Thames to Florida and there see all arounders end up by Georgia, and he was telling me all this all the bush for the restaurants was coming from the Pacific, from up about Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, it's a I think it's a similar picture in a lot of parts of the world. And this is also not to speak down on glabilitations. I think it's amazing that we had this opportunity to dry things and connect with the rest of the world and the supply chains, but it also does mean that you end up overlooking local opportunities sometimes in local secret and value that. Yeah, I think it's just so nice for people to be able to connect because I think it's often that people knew about it more. They knew what was possible and how to cook local seafood or or what was in season when then they would be engaging more with it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we hear a lot about collaboration and innovation through clusters that what does the cluster model deliver that couldn't be achieved through normal commercial relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. We get this question a lot as well, like how to you know, what's what's the value of being involved for a business? And I think we've touched on one of them, which is in our cruster house and within the cluster community, we have like a couple of different rules in house, so it's like there's a three thousand squat building with all these these companies inside, we actually ask them not to have coffee machines in their own offices. We have coffee machines in these shared open the kitchen spaces we have On Friday every week we have a breakfast brunch. Altogether, different companies take turns to host it. It's when they get the opportunity to introduce themselves to the wider community, to talk about what they're doing, to explore where they're interested to connect. And I think so much of that doesn't happen in a commercial setting because they're not necessarily sitting down to brunch to do a business deal. But they are saying, hey, here's the new product or idea that i'm testing. Here's the idea I'm interested in. And even a couple of weeks ago, we had a company that were saying, oh, we're about to launch this product. We need beta testers that are in that have this no power in this sector. And another company went, oh, to come and talk to us after lunch. There's definitely a this is something we could do. So they're not going into the ecosystem with that commercial business setting, but they're making these important relationships that really develop a lot of trust as well, and even so one of the companies that it was presenting to the EU Commissioner that came last week. They're called learn Cove. So they are a software platform essentially that are now focused on the seafood sector and they help on board the new employees. They helped train them across a really multilingual ecosystem, and they also helped with that compliance and process management and everything within the fishery sector. But when they came into house, so they moved in house around the same time I started working here as a four or five years ago, and at that time they actually went specifically they touched on the seaford industry, which is why they were moving in house, but they were working across a lot of other ecosystems too that they came in house and actually started working and found a lot more customers and connections in the seafood sector. Again not in a commercial setting or like at an expo, but because they were, you know, talking to people and building relationships. And actually now they do entirely focus on the seafood sector for the I think for the vast majority of their work. So I think it's these and so all these kind of inherent maybe slightly intangible ways that you connect with people and realize how you can work together. And the other thing too is the fact that we have people from different perspectives, different educations, different ecosystems. Like I said, we have a lot of artists in house, we have a lot of marketing people, we have investors, so we also have put in cosmetics and wellness as well as then in seafood. And it's this as a fisher or a fisher process. So you might not be going to events for activities where you would meet those people at all or even come across them all. You know, it would be you're not in the same environment. So I think it's very interesting. The clusters and communities can bring together a lot more different opportunities and I think make the sector more resilient. I think diversity is the spice of life and just makes everything a lot more resilient when you can connect with people outside of your silo. And then I would say the other thing that is really important I think is what we focus on a lot about the Island social cluster too, is and we get the question a lot like, well, with all these companies here, isn't it kind of compromising their competitiveness or where does that line between collaboration and competitiveness lie. And I think a lot of what we focus on is finding these points that are mutually of interest and of mutual benefit to collaborate on. For example, right at the beginning when the cluster was initiated, when the first meetings was about bringing all the production managers from the different processing facilities together to understand, Okay, what could they work on that is mutually beneficial to all of them and doesn't impinge on their competitive edge or things that they weren't putting to share. So it's also, yeah, in that way, very different from a commercial relationships that, okay, where can we collaborate where it's mutually beneficial, what is maybe a pre competitive benefit? And I think one hundred percent fish And one of the reasons it's been successful here too, it is so much a case of these companies don't want to be wasting value. It makes sense to together collaborate on ways or even invest in companies collaboratively that are going to help them or get more value for their material when they sell it to the next step in the valuten or or directly process it. So I mentioned Marine College and as an example of this. So there were a couple of fisheries companies that were co invested in the build of this marine collagen factory, and the same with a company called carelessis in Iceland, which you may have heard of. Would I'd say it's probably at least in Iceland that is one of the most famous companies because they are They started in the West Spirits of Iceland in a fishing village in Easipia, essentially processing the Atlantic cod skin into skin grafts and woond dressings for burns and the diabetic source and it's really full utilization to the biomedical sector. And they developed this idea. They pitched their events to the industry, the fisheries and to know as well as venture capital, and it was the fisheries industry, for example, that fishing village that had invested in this idea, and in twenty twenty three Careses they sold for one point three billion US dollars. And it's just it's fascinating because not only has that created wealth and gone back to those fishing industry and the community, it's also got them. It's created this lovely domino effect of people are looking okay, what's the Metscare's is how do we what should we be investing in next? It's really transformed this. It's also changed the way that the young people and young innovatives and high school students even are thinking about how can we use every part of the fish. If the fish skin we wants to out can now be worth this much, what else could we be doing? What's what's the next thing? So I think it's it's really interesting to see that it's the fisheries that investing in that. That's because there was also this you know, each system where they were able to meet.
Speaker 1: I'm very impressed there, Alexandria. The term when you were some of the you mentioned a port in Iceland, and if you're there, I thought that as all, my goodness is so like an Icelander.
Speaker 2: I'm working very hard on the language I could speak.
Speaker 1: But it's p and off, it's and off.
Speaker 2: Thank you to work in progress. But it sounds very impressive to people that don't speak for island, and they're like, you have a strong accent. But now I just.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not gonna I'm not going to be nasty and say to you tell me a sentence, a nice landing because my son was there. We I've said that before. He was there for two years and what I asked him how he was getting on and he says, well, what do you think? He says, it's the most expensive, one of the most expensive countries in the world, and it's the most difficult language in the world to learn.
Speaker 2: They say, it's in the top ten.
Speaker 1: Well, you did very well there, Thank you, thank you. Well.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to always you get that's good. I prefer to do it in English.
Speaker 1: Of course. There's a lot to talk about innovation and seafood, what's genuinely game changing and maybe just noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is I was thinking about this question a lot because I think hindsight of course with twenty twenty so it's the case of what innovation really is in the long term going to make a big, big impact on what's not. But I think the thing that comes up on more and more every day as well is that now more than ever, we're able to collect, store, measure, and interpret big data sets than we ever have been before with the input of say AI. There's a lot of controversy of course around AI, but I think there's a lot or at least computer processing to be able to deal with huge amounts of information, and we're able to make much more informed decisions than we ever have been able to before about where do we fish and when, how is the population of fish doing? Is you know, are our surveys accurate? Are we using our fuel in the most are we are we driving our vessel in the most efficient way to get to site? Are we using the most efficient routes? And thinking particularly about some of the companies or so that we have in house, like Heathering Heavy Marine that are using sensors within vessels to help guide operators and fishing vessels and coastguard vessels to site with the best fuel efficiency and the best route and the best speed depending on the conditions. And the companies like green Fish their own house, which are a young company, but they're using really strong amounts of satellite data and as well as captain's logs and all that wealth of know how on the fishing vessels themselves to make really accurate predictions of where are the fish when and which sites to fish at, and and just making the whole process more efficient, you know, within the balance of sustainably managed fishery was make sure, that's that's key. People will then say, Okay, what are people not just going to fish? More so, I think it's how we deal with data and what we can interpret and the the decisions, the quality of the decisions that we can make, innovations that are supporting this. I think there's so much the same as utilization of fish is so much more we can understand about what can we do with these different types of fish, and we can reach so much wider audiences. So I will say that's really a game changing, you know, in a way we have something that we wouldn't even been able to do as as humans interpreting the data alone before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting. M Are we over complicating things with technology when they're are handling and maybe traditional practices could solve of the problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think better handling traditional practices more streamline you know processing or even the streamline steps within in a processing facility. I think so much of this is absolutely key. If you don't have this, then you know, all those other steps don't make sense. I think when we look at i'm SI fish in a new location, for example, in where we've been working with a team and in the Great eights of the US and Canada. There so much of it was a case of, you know, just the handling of where are the fish, that that big question of where are the fish? Where where? How they distributed, you know, how how they stored all these kind of key information. How can we maybe streamline this better. How can we even just implement more traditional practices like smoking the fish or different parts of the fish on site. Like I think there's so much value and importance so to say, all to say, really this shouldn't be overlooked because this is the the game changing at the beginning. We're doing this really interesting project right now called Shrimp. So it's kind of a spin off particularly for shrimp that we're working with Rural Greenland in Greenland to the world's biggest cold water shrimp and their company. Yeah, and they they have high quality products. They're looking to do something more with their prawn shells, their shrimp shells. They were using them for shrimp meal in some cases and they're not not finding a way to create value for the rest of the shells. Now in this project, they're teaming up with a company called prime X, which they see in the Icelands Ocean cruster as well to prepare the shells in Greenland in for example Lula sat and system, but particularly to have them just the right particle size, just the right dryness so they can be used in a process to create kitisan in Icelands and Curtesan is a bioactive compound that has a lot of different applications that it can be used in in foods and feeds, in immune supplements, it can be used even in medical grades applications. So it's a really interesting molecule. And there what was interesting is while all these very key important technology and specialist steps have been needed to be developed and now developing the key thing actually was like the first thing that the step was like, actually, how can we improve the flow and the the the efficiency of the existing system. So I think there's so much of that that has to happen first, and particularly when we're going to a place where they're so you know, they're just using the billet and the rest of the fissues is going to land like those the first steps is always handling, storage, streamlining. It is really that when you get to your like your more complicated steps of the value chain. For example, if you're creating something that goes beyond food grade handling, and it needs specialist equipment or specialists like know how into cosmetics, into biomedicine, into biotech. That's where, really I would say, that's that next stage of the journey where it does you have this kind of trade off there where there's more complexity, and that's when the higher value, like the really high value examples can come in. But I think it can't be overstated how important those ye know, yeah, traditional good handling. Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing at times, Alexandria. I'm not speaking for the world or the country or that I experienced myself, and talking to people they say the same. We talk about sustainability and maximum usage of things, and when you look at it and think about it, it's no more than our pet. But we were young.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, I feel like the circular economy and like full utilization is kind of it's just remembering what we've traditionally, I mean, maybe looking at it with a modern lens and creating new types of value, but just as a concept. I mean, I think interestingly in Iceland and UK is you know in Ireland nation that that's so inherent in the history and tradition of not letting anything waste, because if you let stuff waste, you went on and there wasn't something else to have. I think it's just it's like remembering and building on this and I think it's quite fascinating because we in Iceland, it has the largest commercial fish skin tannery in the world making fish skin leather, and it's really beautiful and it and it's done, you know, with with modern techniques. But it's fascinating because this is so much in the heritage of you know, the first settlers in Iceland. But they you know, they needed sturdy, waterproof shoes and fish skin leather. Actually the woodfish the spotted to wolfish or clearly because it is an Icelandic there's in the Maritime Museum you can see an old pair of these shoes. And I mean, of course there's indigenous and fascination cultures around the world that have been you know, have long history and know how making fish skin leather. So it's and now like it's fascinating now like companies like Fucci and Nike and these high end fashion brands are starting to incorporate fish skin leather, like this modern movement in textiles. But it's fascinating because you know, it's based in heritage, so I think the importance of heritage is also can't be overstated.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. Kind of small and dependent operators realistically benefit from these innovations or this is just becoming a game changer for large players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is an important conversations. I think we talked about Iceland sort of being unique because here there are not many small scale fishes. It is highly consolidated. It's high volume, you know, yeah, consolidated, whereas a lot of places where we work. So it's also the benefit of having these thirteen cist Osian clusters around the world because we've seen how this one fish thinking and this model needs to be adapted where there are, for example, lots of small scale fishermen I think about in h in Scotland, but also I'm back and forth to Oregon and Scotland a lot. The CSI will use these examples because they're also in Oregon, there's a lot of small scale fishermen that are you know, catching and then selling well directed processor and I think what's interesting they're what they've been exploring is how can how can these small scale fishers benefit from this, how can they engage with this in a way that makes sense with how they operate and how they're you know, how the ecosystem is there. So what they've been exploring is around bringing volume together, so having fishermen's cooperatives so that they can actually they can be landing their fish and then having for example, either shared storage facilities or in the case of Oregon, and they've invested in a mobile processing units that can actually go out to the fishermen so that they can be processing and actually then with the ports having the discussion of okay, how can the processing happen at the dots and those fishermen actually be selling direct to local customers, And of course it's a part of that conversation organ of how do you get more local food to two people. So I think that's one way, and I think here collaboration and clusters in general play a really key role because I think it is really challenging for a small scale producers or fishes to do this alone because volume is so important for for you know, having market power or to do something to create value or even to invest. So I think here small scale fishes to benefit and to build those next stages in the value chain often do need to collaborate to bring those volumes together. Yes, I definitely think it's possible.
Speaker 1: For fishes, that's couraging the acland versus a raised. This year is a good time to say that. With it the World Cup years, there's stuff that held, there's a gold standard. What are they doing differently that others like the UK still haven't grasped?
Speaker 2: Is it? Like I said, it's kind of this. It is a unique environment in many ways which is given it a head start. And there is this culture of risk taking culture a little bit like everything and you've been here yourself, they say, if you don't like the weather, wait wait five minutes. Like you know, there is this inherent kind of instability in the ecosystem with the volcanic activity and things. So I think people here innovation. There's a lot of space for people to try things like fisheries, companies, innovators to test out ideas and sometimes they fail, sometimes they work. But I think there's a lot of forgiveness in that in terms of like for example, there's you know, government funding to try out new projects and build new technologies and test things out. There's a lot of willingness therefore in the industry to invest in those ideas and to get things to try. I would say that that's a little bit sometimes the herd or we come across that. It's different in Iceland than I say, almost anywhere else to go in the world because there is this there's not really any risk a version in Iceland in this way, particularly that those early stage of ideas that has allowed things to multiply and have this domino effect towards where we see the Atlantic Pod today, which is all these different ways that we can use it, and that's worth around five thousand US dollars because it's been reimagined and it's had the opportunity. And I would say we see that a lot at the Ocean Cluster because we have a lot of young companies. I have a small company myself as well as many of the people in my team. We're very entrepreneurial by nature. Yeah, but there is there's a lot of opportunity to be entrepreneurial, and I think that's helped a lot in big businesses in small scale startups.
Speaker 1: Is it something that can realistically be copied or is it unique to Island?
Speaker 2: I think culture, of course an ecosystem is different in every place, but there are certainly similarities. But I think what can be adapted and transferred to other places is really figuring out where to start too, for example, to the risk making these changes and making these adaptations like figuring out and what we spent a lot of time doing at the Isan DISI and clusters, dissecting what worked and why, and therefore in another ecosystem, what might work when and how to make it work. So I think, while perhaps I think the culture of risk taking is not a super easy thing to transfer, and maybe mor should it be. You know, every place is for its own unique flavor, but I think the where to start and how to start on what was successful can really help those next steps happen elsewhere. And that's certainly what we're seeing in in the work they we're doing in the Pacific, in the maybe in Africa and in the US in Scotland as well. So yeah, I really do think that's the route to help that happen.
Speaker 1: Democrassion, would you say the real opportunity in a new products or finally valuing what we already catch properly. But before you were to say that, I would say you're being very fair to the people in the UK. When you describe culture, I would describe it there are two set in their ways and we want caught. You know. I could remember, I remember I had a fish factory sending from about nineteen eighty to the late nineties, and I could break down the whole UK where they would deep place, where they would deep cord hack.
Speaker 2: It's Do you think it's still like.
Speaker 1: This to a good degree? Yeah, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I look forward to what the Scottish gym class is going to be doing to check it out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's fantastic. I think it's credit to them. Yeah, they do a great job. They work hard at it too. Our consumers actually driving this change or is it still in dis relayed do you.
Speaker 2: Feel Yeah, I'll speak from my perspective, so I'm really not an expert in the kind of the retail consumer space, but I feel like I see a lot more still dang driven from the industry, from the innovators and from the investors. Actually interestingly then I do seeing directly from the consumers, I would say, the retailers and the buyers, and the kind of those wholesale buyers. They certainly driving change, and of course they're that direct face to the customers in many contexts. But I do feel like in most places that go Iceland includes to be honest, when you're consumer, at the customer at the supermarket, you're not You're thinking about okay, here's the the codpiller and buying and not thinking wonder where the rest of this fishes and what's happened to it. So I feel like that's not I'm not sure necessarily it's on the I think it's good that everyone's thinking about it, but I do think that often there's a lot of pressure on the customer and the consumer to change their ways. They have better purchasing habits and purchasing power, and I think this is this is important, but the in terms of the real volume of change that can happen further along the back down the supply chain, that's really where I think there's a lot of power to change. I think customers often don't know what they want until they they see in front of them as well. But I see a lot of it still being driven by industry, by innovators, and by people actually seeing a business opportunity and changing the way things are done. I think even more now that you know the quotas have been cut. You know there is less volume that can be caught. It's true as industry of Scotland and North Atlantic, and I think more than ever, it's a kind of a change in the mindset and industry as well as how do we do more with less? Now? How do we make sure our industry continues to not only survive but thrive as well.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so true that you're saying there, and I just feel why should we You know, it's a concert, good bacter, a peer and statement we were mentioned in earlier why should we waste anything? Yeah, the model clusters sounds good paper, collaboration, innovation, shared values, But fishermen will ask what does this actually do for me at sea or in the key? Have you seen real increases and income for fishermen because of the cluster model or is most of the value being captured further up?
Speaker 2: I think again, Essen, it's a kind of unique space iness because it's quite vertically integrated, so there definitely is that clear capture of value along the value chain. And I think being involved in clusters and collaborating and being able to showcase what those value chains look like and to meet these different innovators E. Sauch. This definitely has created value tangibly here in the fisheries exystem as a whole in the blue economy. I think it's interesting because like down on the key here, like it is it different. Like I said, I think it's quite a unique system and being quite consolidated and vertically integrated. So I think where we see those kind of changes are going to be in places that Oregon probably Scotland to where it will be opening opportunities to bring volume together, to have for example, a shared storage space, to have more direct to customer selling power or space or opportunity. And I think that's where it's the the value really can be captured directly.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest misconception people have about ocean clusters.
Speaker 2: I would say that it's a misconception is that it's just about, you know, bringing people together for a coffee and you know that's it and see what happens. So I think bringing people together with a food and coffee a nine streak is really important and it's a keystone of what we do. But there is so much more to it than that. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes of curating who meets when and how and how do we manage the expectations of these groups to come together and what is the most beneficial way to or what most beneficial topic to bring people together on. I mean, alongside that to the Ocean Cluster, we run as a private business too. We're not a government association. I think that's sometimes a misconception, particularly to Iceland's Ocean Cluster. So I mean we also have a team, you know, research specialists as well as we run research and innovation projects. We do business science, technical consulting. We invest in good ideas that we believe in. So I think a misconception perhaps might be that a cluster is a passive thing, whereas really I see from both our Ice and Ocean Cluster and all the different sister ocean clusters we work with around the world, it's a very active thinks. It takes a lot of time and energy and there's a lot of impact behind. What's done is not just gathering around good food and coffee, although that is a very fun part.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you see anything you feel needs to be changed in the global seafood system and what do you think would push back against it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like we've touched a little bit on this in terms of well, the seafood sector as a whole, but like the connection with where the fish is caught, what's available locally, how is it available locally, and just thinking particularly around like them the salmon sector in Iceland and many places that we worked around the world were often fish are farmed or landed and they're exported almost whole with very minimal primary processing in country and then shipped elsewhere, and that can mean that's where also it's difficult for the fishmen to see the the direct value adds from one hundred percent fish thinking because there's not this kind of deep connectivity with the supply chain. And then also it affects maybe the trace ability or where those different, and we loose that information data importance. You kind of lose track of where is that material and hope, I mean hopefully it's bringing someone value along the supply chain or the value chain, but not in all cases. So it's much more. Yes, I would say that again not to say we shouldn't have globalized the ly chains around seafood or do you think that's important, but I think it needs to be balanced with that that local ecosystem and local seafood, as you very nicely said, like eating what's in season, connecting with you know, local communities about what can they eat, how can they cook it? And you know, having more processing or even on small scale in location where the fisher caught, I think it opens up then more opportunities to really tangibly connect to every part of the secret that we catch and farm and what can be used. And I think one of the challenges too is that this is not unique to the seafood sector. I think is in our very globalized world is that often waste is happening somewhere else, so we don't necessarily see it happening. I was thinking about some of the textile industry and the technology industry and the sefreds industry too, like there are if we don't see necessarily that the amount of the secret that we're not using that is going to waste, there's less kind of impetus and focus on doing something with it because it's out of sight, out of mind is someone else's problem. So I would say again not to speak against globalizations, because I think we're incredibly lucky to live in this amazing globalized world. But I think balancing it with connectivity to what we're eating and where it's called and every part of it and what can be done it is also really important.
Speaker 1: Excellent looking ahead, they ten years, what does a successful seafood industry actually.
Speaker 2: Look like the you, yeah, in my dream world in ten years, I would say, so right now, I touch on that World Economic Forum report that came out in twenty twenty four. It's such a useful source of like milestone benchmarking. But right now or in twenty twenty four, when the STATA came out, they stated that along the seafood supply chain or are aquatic food supply chain, we lose and waste more than twenty three million metric tons of edible quality aquatic food. So I would say, in the you know, the ideal seafoods sector, that waste would not there would be no such thing as waste. There would be you know, there would be value caught from every part of it. All that material that takes time, fuel, labor, energy to capture, farm and process would be would have a use. I would say. Fisheries that are making around the world still, and that's one of the challenges we're trying to figure out how best to work with and how best to connect one Handerson fish with There are a lot of fisheries around the world that are maybe not regulated, or.
Speaker 1: Are not.
Speaker 2: Certified, or are you know, maybe the value I think about the tuna sector and the Pacific, we're engaged in a lot at the moment, Like a lot of the fishing happens in some of the Pacific islands of waters but isn't ever landed there. So there's a lot of this challenges within the seper sector that I think, you know, there's a lot that can be done towards it. More certification of fisheries, more, more data that allows us to under stand better the state of the fisheries more. If more value is being created and more management of those fisheries is done, it kind of goes hand in hand with the direct connection of the importance of maintaining the stock, because that stock is where you get your value from. Yeah, so I would say in my June world, I think ten years it sounds like an ambitious plan to have all this fixed, but at least some big steps towards that would be great.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant, Alexander. How can your listeners follow you online via social media presence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so if you want to have a look at the Ocean plus Ice and Docean Cluster in general, you can google Ice and Dosan Cluster in our website or come up. We're very active on LinkedIn, so both the Ice and Docean Cluster has LinkedIn page on myself and Alexandra Lipa, PhD on LinkedIn and I'm very active there, as is the Sounder and Gairman of the iceand Ocean Cluster or Sixson. You can find us both there. That's the best place to follow us, and on our website we have an active events page two where many of our events to a done hybrid base of people around the world and engage in interacts.
Speaker 1: You know, I found this a real insightful conversation and I've really got to thank you. But before that, Alexandra, I would just look to say who I think your cluster has got success for written all over it, and I the reason I say that from listening to your conversations I'm following you on your social media platforms. You really do pick up as you believe in it yourself, and that really comes across well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I have to say it's something that you know, we live in a very compl hid it and challenging what with myself and my team too. We we really feel like we're shipping away a really big problem. Like we can see the tangible impact of the work that we do, and I think that's very meaningful and it's I'm very glad that you see we do really care about it.
Speaker 1: And the other thing from your comments there about you mentioned your dream world. That's quite appropriately just now because not that long ago. I don't know if you've what sport you've followed, but Rory McElroy has just one for the second time, running the Masters in Augusta. The way he put it and he was talking about he was he was okay, he was on the television, but he was talking to his daughter and the comment he made, which I think is so appropriately today with you, he's just and the Masters. It has been these lifelong ambition and he says, believe in your dreams. I think that's so powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so powerful for his daughter to get to hear as well as like, yeah, believe in your dreams, work hard, anything's.
Speaker 1: Possible, absolutely, and it's nothing and they're not it's if it's your your if it's your dreams, it's not impossible.
Speaker 2: Absolutely no. I love that. What a nice, uplifting way to start the week.
Speaker 1: And then the conversation, Thank you very much. I really enjoyed that. Today Alexandra had good luck with a clusters.
Speaker 2: Thank you. My absolute passion