Speaker 1: He's Night Side with Dan ray I WBZ Costs Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, we don't do this much anymore, but every once a week Massachusetts reports their confirmed COVID cases and COVID has not gone away. Last week in Massachusetts there were three hundred and ninety four confirmed COVID cases and four deaths attributed to COVID. But I will just put that on the back burn because that's not worth what we are talking about this hour. I want to welcome to telepon to our microphones. Kevin Sirelli. Kevin Sirelli is a futurist, someone who is thinking about tomorrow and obviously has the perspective of yesterday, but is thinking about tomorrow and has a website called Meetthefuture dot tv. Kevin SERRELLI, we had a great chat this afternoon. I don't want to leave it in the bullpen, but welcome to Night's Side. Thanks very much for joining us. You had a career. You you were one of these folks who you were going off to college and you didn't really have an idea what you wanted to do when you kind of journalism of all things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talked my way into it. I talked my way into it. You know, when I grew up, I grew up outside of Philly. Don't hang up. I'm an Eagles fan. But Oka Delaware County.
Speaker 2: Get ragged rights. The last time the Patriots played the Eagles. The Eagles won that Super Bowl too, So.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. I appreciate that. So I feel welcome, and I will say, you guys have a great program. You do a lot of good for the community, and I respect that deeply. But I grew up and I got in for engineering at Penn State. But I always watched the news and listened to the news and read the news. And when I got in for engineering, my dad was an engineer and my dad goes, Kevin, you don't like math. You really you're not a numbers guy kid. So I said, well, what do I do? He goes, go try out for the school newspaper. So that's what I did. I didn't tell anyone because you know, if you know anything about the daily Collegiate at Ben's safe to me. I'm like, those kids are smart. So I didn't think I was going to make it, and I ended up making it. And I said, Dad, I made the paper, and I just thought it was the coolest thing you could call. Anybody get into anything. It was a free ticket to really just if you're a curious guy, and I am. You know, it's it's a great way to learn. And and I'll be blunt about I was way better at being a journalist than I wasn't being a student. And I get a call from the dean like halfway through college and he goes, you haven't taken a journalism course and you're still technically not a journalism major. Okay, Yeah, so the rest is history.
Speaker 2: You know, well, you're also worried at Penn State at a at a tough time for Ben's for Penn State, that was, and a time when a guy from New England, coach Bill O'Brien brought that football provern back after the scandals of the Paternal years in Sandusky. I know nothing about Sandusky other than what we saw we court. I still don't understand how Paternal could have turned a blind eyedea to all of that.
Speaker 3: You know, my biggest takeaway from that story, which was honestly, truthfully the hardest story that I've ever told ever in any of my reporting. But I remember sitting in the Center County Courthouse in belfont Pia, which is right outside of State College. It's a small little town, dead smack in the middle of what James Carville calls pennsil Tucky, in between you know, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. There's a whole bunch of Alabama in between. And that's where I was. And I remember the courage of the young people who testified, not just before the global media which descended upon that town, not just before their community members, but the man Jerry Sandusky who did those heinous crimes, and the courage that that took for them. And they were my age when they were testifying. I was, you know, a senior in college.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It really left a lasting, lasting impression, and it also gave me confidence in the justice system.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So from there, you you pursued kind of a media career, a journalism career or whatever, and you gotta you gotta break that no one ever could have anticipated, which it kind of propelled you down the road of journalism.
Speaker 3: Ironically, it's funny, and it's funny, you know, I was, I bounced around a Politico and the Hill newspaper and uh and I was I Donald Trump's Twitter got hacked. But back in twenty I want to say twelve. And this is when Twitter was not ex it was Twitter, and I just covered the Sandusky trial, had just moved to the DC, first job out of college. I'm like mopping floors at a coffee shop on the weekends. And my editor emails me and goes, you need to reach out to Trump's people. I'm like Trump from The Apprentice because if Twitter got hacked, and I go, who cares about Donald Trump's Twitter? You know here, I am big hot shot fresh out of college. I grew up watching exactly exactly, yeah, and I go pretty serious lyrics come on? So I reach out to this guy named Michael Cohen and he started and ead the Fixer exactly, And he.
Speaker 2: Gives me, I'm curious, how did you just happen to get Michael Cohen's Cohen was pretty close to Trump, as I'm sure you know.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know I can talk my way into anything. That's a good journalist, right, So you know, I just I go, what do I do? You call Michael Cohen? That's the guy's lawyer. Like everyone got a lawyer, right, So reach out to Donald Trump's lawyer. So I'm like twenty two you know, and you know, and I'm and I end up having a long conversation with Michael Cohen, and flash forward, I'm at the Hill a year and a half later and Trump's calling into Morning Joe, and my mom and dad back in Delco are telling me, well do you think of Trump? And I'm like, that guy has no chance of being president. You know, it's like everyone and their mother's running for president.
Speaker 2: Back then, pol not a political operative. You're a journalist, go ahead, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So then my best buddy goes also back in Pennsylvania, they're all talking about Trump, so I go. He dares me, you should interview Donald Trump, and I'm like, why not. I dig back in my email find Michael Cohen's address. He connects me to a woman named Hope Pix. Next thing I know, I'm in Trump Tower, and you know, she says, mister trumbles, and I go up to the pop floor and Trump threatens to runners a third party candidate. My editor's there, and it was the whole thing. Next thing I know, Bloomberg hires me and they put me on Trump and Ben Carson until they fizzle out. And obviously Trump never fizzled out, so I traveled the country the world and was one of the originals. And then yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Whull Picks was his his go to person, and she got a lot of coverage in the one of the the trial in New York City. So you you you were mixing with the right people, that's for sure. But uh, the career journalism has now launched you into another area. By the way, you said you're a Bloomberg. You must know my former colleague at w BZ, Joe Matthew.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, yeah, yeah, small world.
Speaker 2: It is a small world. Trust me. Joe was there our morning anchor at w b Z before he went with Bloomberg a few years ago. So uh, yeah, very cool. I'm sure we do have some other other connections. So now you're what's called a futurist and you okay, we'll see you have a website called Meet the Future dot t V and.
Speaker 3: M t S dot TV. Yeah, m c S dot TV. Everyone goes it's mt V, I said, no, it's actually more like meets Discovery Channel. You said Meet the Future.
Speaker 2: But it's m t ST yeah, right, right, right, right right. So then the title Meet the Future stands or MTF stands for meet the future and yes dot TV okay, and your your mission statement, uh, if there is, if there is one, to embrace freedom as we meet the futures, challenges and opportunities. Uh, do not nostra damas, nor do you play one on the radio. And you're not going to tell you who's going to be elected president in twenty fifty two.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 2: However, trends and things that you're looking at from a technical point of view, and that's where I think our audience will be able to interact with you in terms of questions and comments. So I got to take a quick break here. The only thing I know about the future, the only thing that I've experienced about the future is driving in a cab way mow in San Francisco. So that's it for me. Okay, what someone says to me, what's the future? So wee go back. I'm going to ask you to kind of describe where we're headed in this world. What's what's going to fall by the wayside and what is going to blossom as we as we move forward. That is going to be pretty much our conversation, and I know you can more than handle it, and I hope that our listeners realize that we're doing a couple of different lengthier interviews tonight than we normally do, but I want folks to get involved. Six one seven, five, four ten, third, six one seven will be back on Night Side with my guest Kevin Sirilli MTF dot TV, which stands for Meet the Future. I think there's a lot of folks in my audience who are a lot smarter than I am on some of the things we're going to talk about, So folks feel free to join the conversation. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Kevin Soirelli. He's a futurist, and we're going by the end of this hour, you're going to understand that phrase. Perhaps a little bit more. We'll drill down a little bit and Kevin, let's let's talk about where we're headed when when we talk today briefly, uh well, actually not briefly, for about half an hour, you seem to suggest that a lot of the things that people look upon as the latest and greatest, and maybe things that people have recently joined, like Facebook and Twitter and all of those might be going the way of the dinosaurs for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, I think a lot about the First Industrial Revolution, and I think a lot about what it must have been like to be around even when the Gutenberg printing press was invented. And when you think of even in the last thirty years, just the last three decades, the level of technology that has transformed our lives, from GPS and then the personal computer, and then the Internet, and then the cell phone and then Uber and now you're talking about driverless cars. And when you think of the biggest pop culture controversy this year has been a pop star goes to outer space for eleven minutes and no one blinks because we think it's a waste of time. It's really a transformational moment when America is turning two hundred and fifty years old next year and we now are living at what I believe is the start of the revolution that will be like tenfold at least the size of the Industrial Revolution. So where are we building toward? What what are we orienting toward? And what's our north star? And those are the questions that I'm much more interested in now, both on the digital frontier and the topography. I think a lot about digital frontiers as if it's it's a destination, you know, the same way that there's countries. Digital frontiers are digital destinations, especially in the world of AI and what's coming after artificial intelligence, which is quantum wow. And I think a lot about outer space as.
Speaker 2: Well, you know. It's it's interesting. I worked for many years a TV reporter and I had in my car when I was working the morning news and I was out the live reporter at five am in the morning because I wanted to coach Mike my kids in sports afternoons and evenings, and I would have map books.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, my dad had that.
Speaker 2: My dad, Yeah, and some of the and city maps and the ideas.
Speaker 3: You're sitting there in the.
Speaker 2: Dark with a flash oh this no, this was pre map quest and you're looking and does that a one way straight or whatever? And I remember one time, two times, stay about one. I'm somewhere in New Hampshire. It's like five o'clock in the morning, and I'm supposed to meet up with George Bosch, then Governor George Boyce, who's going to be campaigning somewhere in New Hampshire, and nobody's up. I mean, it's it's like I'm looking at the houses are far apart, and finally I see a light. Normally during the day, you can pull over and ask someone, hey, where am I. So I had to go up to these houses like at five o'clock in the morning, knock on the door and ring the bell. Uh. And someone comes to the door and I said, Hi, I'm Dan Ray from Channel four. Oh, I know who you are. Good to tell me where I am and to get your bearings. Now you got ways and all of that. I remember one other time I was in Lynn, Massachusetts on New Year's morning. It's like it's four o'clock on New Year's morning. Everybody is either hungover or asleep, and I'm lost looking for somewhere, and I see a guy standing in the corner and as I go over, I'm gonna pull up next to him, roll down the window January first, and ask him where I'm going. As I go over, I see that he pulls out of his coat a blade that's like eighteen inches long. At that point, it's like, no, you're going to be on the other side of my car. I'm putting in reverse and got here. That wouldn't happen today because everybody has ways. So are we going to be able to what do we go? How is that? How can they make ways better?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, listen, all of these stories are taking me back. And I'm an optimist, right. I believe that I would much rather live in a world with technology than without it. And I believe that, and so I think there's a lot of folks who are dooming gloomers. And you know, I think Elon Musk just had a headline. I saw that popped over. I wanted to say the terminal, but that's not the terminal popped over my feed.
Speaker 2: I saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever, it's you know what happened, right, Yeah, exactly, but it's said, uh, it's said, uh, you know, the robots are coming and they can't be like the terminator. And you know, it gets a lot of clicks, and I get the game. I get the game. But what's more important is that we now as Americans, are so reliant on this technology and it We depend on it in many the same ways that we depend on our utilities. And it's a blessing to be an American. I believe that, and our freedoms and our democracy, even if you no matter what side of the ideological spectrum you're on. But I interviewed one of the top generals at the United States Space Force, which is the military domain military branch, last month at the National Press Club, and I said, what do you want to know? In general Gagnon, I said, what do you want people to know about the work that you're doing? And you know why people should care? And he said, well, the average American interacts with space more than two dozen times per day. I said really, and he goes, yeah, and they don't even know it. And so yes, we're relying on ways and Google Maps and Google Earth and satellite imagery that we're using. But what would happen if China or Russia took out their satellites and all of a sudden we have a situation where either our military doesn't have access to that information, or that there's a massive space attack that we don't even see. And maybe you know, no one up in space loses their lives per se, but here on the in the geographical domain, because of the cyber attack domain, we lose all of our ability on our modern way of life. I think about that a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking there, you're talking there about emp's electromagnetic pulses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're thinking about that. You're thinking about how Shi Jingping of the Chinese Communist Party and his totalitarian twin, Vladimir Putin, they're doing. We always talk about the ships out of Alaska or in the Indo Pacific and the military exercises, their drills that they're doing. But they're doing the same thing with their satellites, their robotic satellites up and outer space, and that matters, it really matters, and that is a lot of repercussions.
Speaker 2: So the question then becomes, and we've got to get to a break here, which I will just leave this. Is there an administration, and I'm not talking Democrat Republican. Is there an administration that has done or is doing a better job anticipating those problems. I don't know. If you read the book seventy seven Days in September, it's an interesting thing that you know, goes goes off and everything is out. This guy has to walk from Texas back home to Minnesota. Took him seventy oh yeah, I know that. Yea, yeah, yeah, yeah. I The author is Ray and I'm trying to think of his last name. I'll get I'll have it on the other side. He's been a great guest, but well we'll talk about that on the other side. And then I want to talk about things that are are not inherently dangerous, some of the things that you see coming down the line that we're all going to all. Yeah, help, Absolutely, we'll get to all of this. If you have any questions, feel free. Kevin Sarelli is here six one, seven, two, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three thirty back on Night's side. Right after this, I told Kevin today, I said, we get a lot of listeners all around the country, so feel free wherever you're listening tonight, give us a call. And as they say, never make me somebody who sounds silly when I tell a guest we got listeners in different places, feel free to join the conversation. As they say, often the only dumb questions of the questions that you don't have the courage to ask. I know that I found that out when I was in law school. Always the question I didn't ask in class came up on the midterm of the finals. Back in Nightside with my guest, Kevin Sorelli, a futurist MTF meet the Future MTF dot TV coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'MBZ Boston's News Radio with.
Speaker 2: Me is Kevin Surly. Kevin is what's called a futurist. He spends a lot of time thinking about the future and what impact it might have on my future and on your future, and on his future. The book seventy seven Days in September was written by a fellow named Ray Gorham. A very interesting book, and it does talk about electromagnetic pulses and what can happen. The more we rely on technology, the more we become, in some respects a slave of it. Friend of mine whose car battery died, uh, and he had a tough time figuring out how to get out of the car because when the battery died, everything shut down in the car. Yeah, yeah, and so how And I guess there is a way to get out of this particular brand car. I'm not going to mention what it is, but there's a lot of people who could find themselves in that situation. And so what about I mean, you obviously embrace and look forward to the future. The troglodytes amongst us, I'm not one of them, but what about the troglodytes who were saying whoa whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. We got to figure out what's going on and a little cost benefit analysis before we forge ahead.
Speaker 3: So you know, I just think back to the iPhone and I remember when Steve Jobs walked out on the stage and said one more saying and comes out, you know, introducing the iPhone. That was just in two thousand and seven. I mean that was just crazy. Well I'm thinking of my mom, who God blesser is back in Delco and you know she's got hearing aids. Well, Apple's now a health company. I mean, think about it, twenty two thousand and seven. They do the iPhone and then folks like my mom who have hearing aids, they're connected to the iPhone. Well, now the AirPods, which are out selling the Apple Watch, are hearing aids, and policy President Biden has allowed for hearing aids and the cost of it, so it's just tweak the policy so you can get them and CBS and your local pharmacies and whatnot. But now the AirPod is the hearing aid and Apple wants the hearing aid market. So my mom just got a new iPhone and I'm laying on this plane shortly, I promise, and there's a glitch in the new system on the iPhone and it couldn't connect with their hearing aids. So for three days my mom couldn't hear them. Well, what's her iPhone? And so that's meet the future right there is the policy and the matters and why that's an issue because of the monopoly and the regulatory structure and the updates, and as all of our devices become not just that we're addicted to them, but are more medically inclined. My lead story tonight was about the DNA syentization of how a baby was saved and the impacts that'll have because of the DNA coding. As this becomes more and more intertwined, our devices are more and more intertwined, and it has to be in sync not just with one particular company, but with our American ideals, because Lord forbid, a bad actor have access to what I believe will be bigger than the iPhone and the smartphones in general, which is glasses, wearable technology on your face. You're seeing Meta get into that, and Mark Zuckerberg predicts that in the next ten years, the glasses market spectacles where you'll be able to see. It'll be like a clipboard in front of your eyes, and doctors and teachers and students will you in the in your control room as well. You'll be traveling, but you'll be seeing the information in your frame and augmented reality.
Speaker 2: So all of that is so let me talk about that for a second. Let me understand that. Yeah, so I'm sitting in a car.
Speaker 4: Somewhere, or I'm driving a car yep, And as an option, i can have some written information on my glasses while I'm driving a car or I'm flying on an airplane.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, because here's here's what's happening. And you know, and this has already being tested because right now, what you're doing to see how how fast you're going, You glance down, and you glance down to see how fast you're going, or you glance down to see where the gas tank is. Why should you take your eyes off the road. So if you've got the glasses on, you'll have a number and you'll see it it And it's almost like playing a video game. Like think of playing a video game when you're in a race car or in a jet and you see in front of you target here, it is here, it is that's for all this is that is yeah, and it'll be on your face.
Speaker 2: So okay, I get that. But the question is, can you be distracted by what is in your your eyeglass frame or what it would appear to be in your eye glass frame?
Speaker 3: I'm playing, Well, aren't you just double's advocate right back? Don't you get distracted by the computer that's in your pocket and you're a smartphone? Doesn't that distract us already?
Speaker 2: Well? Sure I had, But I have the ability if I want, if I'm a good doobie, I can turn my cell phone off, or I can ignore it when it rings, or if I want to talk on it, I can pull off to the side of the road. Now most people don't, I get that, Okay, But what I'm saying is, once my glass is I'm not going to show me the landscape, but they're going to show me some some written information.
Speaker 3: Yes, messages, text messages.
Speaker 2: At whatever, whatever. At what point will I reach will my brain reach overload?
Speaker 3: Well, and I think that's a great point. And to be blunt with you, I think that in the long term, in the next two decades, there's going to be more and more autonomous vehicles and driving will be like eventually what we think of with the horse and buggy. But let me put the goggles to you this way. Okay, when you go into the operating room, your doctor is holding a clipboard looking at charts. There's probably a computer monitor, and there's nurses and technicians and whatnot. But when I saw this demo, I was down in Florida. I'll never forget it. The demo set. Put these on and see a world where you're looking down and you're getting the data of the operating wound in front of them. So it's augmented reality over the operating procedure. And eventually you're going to look back one day and you're going to say, I don't want my doctor ever holding a clipboard ever again. I want the technology and his vision and his scalpel or her scalple operating, because that is the most up to date information and technology to save lives. And when I thought of it that way, I thought I get it. I had the aha moment that these glasses are really the future, and it's why Meta and Rayman are doing partnerships. Apple has really put the kebash. This is just breaking this week on the Apple Vision pros. Huge dud for them, by the way, But now they're thinking, we try to get into this. The glasses, I mean, Mark Zuckerberg's biggest hit isn't Facebook or Instagram. It's legitimately these glasses that he developed as a side project with Rayman, and they're selling like hotcakes.
Speaker 2: So what about the idea that all of these big companies will decide, Okay, we're not going to engage in an anti trust activity per se. But what we're going to do is we're going to focus pardon the pun, in this area. We'll let Zuckerberg focus in this area. Where is there going to be competition? If everybody, yeah, is competition going to go away?
Speaker 3: No? No, and competition. The greatest export of America has always been its innovation, and that has to be protected. It's why China steals it from us. But the competition very bit that they're great at cheating. They're great cheaters. They are they're great cheaters, and you know, but but but but let's double down on this because because the fight I think that we in America take sometimes and now you know, I think every American is is is at least having a perspective on it with the terraff. But the battle is okay. So you've got goggles on your head and you can be distracted. Who do you want programming those goggles? An American company or a Russian company or a Chinese company that I think is an American because they believe that.
Speaker 2: The question, the question provides the answer. But it's it's something to think about if we If we don't do it, someone else will.
Speaker 3: That's why the TikTok fight was really just the it was Paul Revere to be blunt. It was it was you're in New England. I mean you know that it was.
Speaker 2: I covered I covered that ride back that night in seventeen seventy five. Yeah, I had a live shot you conquered that night. It was cold, only kidding. So so when you look at all of this, and but I want to roll back before we go to break here to the the electromagnetic pulse issue and the conversation about what China could do via via satellites, et cetera. I assume that we have a scientific structure, we have a military structure. We have all of these structures, but at some point, the decisions of where the money goes and where the emphasis comes comes from who's ever in charge as a democracy? And I want you to pick a president for me. I'm not looking for that, but I'm saying, how important is it that in coming presidential campaigns as opposed to talking about the issues that we traditionally talk about, which is the federal debt, open closed borders, how many warships China has? When will the presidential conversations get to what we're talking about tonight next time?
Speaker 3: The question, No, it's not going to be next time. This is nice. Thank you for asking this question. When I was a kid, you know, mister Justin used to teach me and Delco in the seventh grade history class, elections are about the future. I don't think we've had an election that's been about the future since I was a kid. Okay, And it's not a critique on a candidate. It's a critique on our system and the legacy media institutions that just are not they're not talking about issues that are just the future, like they're missing it. And the people get it, Like everyone I talk to gets it. I mean, my friends, my family, your listeners. They get it. They see that their kids are using artificial intelligence every day to go to school, and there's a debate happening between teachers and students over best practices. We've got to, you know, the press has to do a better job. So I think we're still a ways away, but we got to have our eye on the book. By the way, China playing the long game, and they're playing for keeps. They're talking about a five hundred year plan. We can't be talking about every four year plan forever, no.
Speaker 2: Question about that. They want to be the they want to emerge at the end of the twenty first century as that runs the world. My guest is Kevin so Early. He's a futurist. We're talking about some interesting issues. If you'd like to join the conversation, feel free six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I want to get to phone calls, but I also have a couple of more questions myself, but I would much prefer to hear your questions. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Kevin su Early. He's a futurists. Here's from website Meet the Future MTF dot tv. Kevin. One final quick question from me, and that is this. It's kind of a follow up on the last question. As you said, the China's playing the long game. We play a game that's four years, or arguably every two years because you have the off year presidential elections. Americans vote in elections primarily with their pocketbooks. So last time it was the price of eggs, the price of gasoline, inflation, all of that federal debt. Who who is the candidate who's going to be brave enough or or small enough to take up this set of questions that you and I have been talking about for the last forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'll be honest with you, I don't know. But you have my word, truly, And by the way, thank you for tonight. And this has really been just so much fun and I really appreciate it. But but but you have my word that once we get cranking and you can subscribe to our newsletter and Meet the Future on sub sec that's my that's just subscribe and we'll just get it five days a week, Sunday to Thursday. But once I put my foot on the gas and I started interviewing these folks. These are the types of questions I'm asking them. The topics that we're talking about. I don't care about, you know, did this, do this?
Speaker 4: Or do that?
Speaker 3: I don't care about the horse race. I don't care. You know why, because there's no we don't have horse and buggies anymore. That's why I don't care about the horse race. Even the anecdotes is out is out of place. So I care. I care about the future. And that's that we got. We got to have more journalists like you and like I would argue myself, who are asking those types of questions, because then people will catch on. The public wants it. They're craving it. They're craving it. You know, it's so anyway. But I look forward to not just to you know, I'm Catholic, and you know, don't put your faith in a in a human right because you'll be disappointed. But I am looking forward to a platform that captures the American spirit of innovation, that is forward thinking. And I think we have to we have to get there, and we have to innovate. The innovation must remain innovation rounded and rooted in our principles. As we celebrate the birth of our country two hundred and fifty years, we can't just be thinking of seventeen seventy six. We have to be thinking of where we're going to be in the next two hundred and fifty years. And when I asked that question to Space Force, they told me beyond the moon. Beyond the moon. Back in the nineteen sixties, it was to be able to go to the moon. We dared to go to the moon. Now we laugh when we have a debate about whether we should go to the moon or Mars. Well, Space Force is thinking we're going beyond the moon. Our democracy will be beyond the moon, and we have to start thinking like that. How are we setting over that?
Speaker 2: Let help? I want to get one call in for you. Okay, I got Margie somewhere in the Catskills. Margie, we're flat out of time. Thank you for calling back. We lost you there for a moment. You're my guest. Kevin's a really quick comment of question. Marg You go right.
Speaker 5: Ahead, very very quick. I feel so sorry for the futurist, because you will never ever be surprised. I went to the Woodstock Festival in sixty nine, and when I walked over that hill and saw four hundred thousand people, that would never have happened today. Everyone's on their cell phones. You're never gonna see a surprise, Margie.
Speaker 2: And ef P and E f P over America would be a hell of a surprise.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Kevin, Margie, come with me to Coachella next year. Okay, we'll dance our socks off, all right, Marge. I got hope, I got faith. People love to dance. I read about Woodstock, but you know we'll put on her dancing. She kids love to dance march. Come on. I'm an optimist.
Speaker 2: Thanks Margie, Thanks, thank you, Margie. Thanks Maggie, talk to you soon. What was Coachella? I've heard of it, but tell us that is That's not the Burning Man Festival? Is it out of there?
Speaker 3: And you no, no, no, no, no, no no no. Coachella is what all the kids go to. You know, I've never been. I drove through it. I had to get to the Pat Telvion Race and Arizona.
Speaker 2: I was out in La.
Speaker 3: I was doing a thing in La a couple of weeks ago, and I at usc and I drove with like a moron. I should have been in one of those robotics because.
Speaker 2: I didn't you know, you didn't follow ways obviously, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well there's only one roads, so there's only one way through Arizona, and so it's beautiful. I love Arizona, but I love Arizona's gorgeous. But I but Palm Springs. You know, they put on Coachella and it's a big music festival. You know, the kids, they had, Lady Gaga, you know, it's all it's like Woodstock for this generation. And you know, so I still think people people like to people like to be together and and do those things because it's it's you know, human to human well enhances it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think what she was saying was that she knew that there was a music festival, but if that music festival was today and she was parking her car five miles away and walking in to Woodstock, that she would have been able to check on her cell phone and would have seen pictures and and all of that. So I think that is a surprise I think she was talking about. But guess what I mean. I don't want to see an emp surprise and all of a sudden way cap and realize planes aren't flying because the more we were relying on on electronics, the more that everything can come down in one fell swoop. I would again't recommend people read seventy seven Days in September. I think Gorm had a follow on book as well, because it's real. I mean, you know, when when all of a sudden my cable TV goes out, it's like, well, what am I going to do for my information here?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, this is this is the sign of the times. I don't even have cable Okay, okay, conversation, my friend, all right, conversation, that's the that's the next one.
Speaker 2: That's the next one. Kevin. Again, folks can follow you on substack, is that correct?
Speaker 3: And yeah, on substack and then my website MTF dot tv and you know, and and you know and write man, I mean, I'm we all got to. What I want is for people to feel proactive about tomorrow so that they play a part in it. This isn't just you know, the forces or the chatbots are going to tell us what to do. This isn't nineteen eighty four. It's twenty twenty five, and we get we have we're in the front seat you know, we're in the driver's seat. Even if we're not driving the car. We get to orient ourselves for what future we want to do.
Speaker 2: We're not driving the car, we're paying for the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Gotta look at it like that, Kevin. Great, great conversation. Thank you very much. We will talk to you here. I promise you. Okay, thanks list same you to thank you, Sir Kevin Sarelli a futurist, and I think it's some people got us to keep thinking.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Bill Clinton's campaign song was Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow, and I think that should be our campaign song. We'll come back here on night Side right after eleven o'clock news. Stay with us.