Speaker 1: Hi, I'm your host, doctor Lori, and welcome to Universally Unique. Exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. This podcast foster's curiosity and understanding about neurodiversity while empowering individuals with tools for acceptance and inclusion in classrooms, the workplace, and communities. Featuring shared stories of neurodiverse life experiences, it sheds light on navigating a world not designed for diversity. Universally Unique starts now. Hi, this is doctor Lori. Welcome to Universally Unique. My guest today is doctor Stephen Pearl, and before we hear his story of neurodiversity, we are going to take three box breaths. I will count for us. We'll breathe in for four, hold for four, breathe out for four, hold for four, and then do the next breath. So breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four. Breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four, breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four aside to let it out, all right, So doctor Pearl. Thank you for joining me today. Is it okay if I call you Steven?
Speaker 2: Absolutely okay.
Speaker 1: So if you would sort of tell us your journey that you've been on with learning more about your own neurodiversity. I know this has been a long learning process. It's been going on for a while.
Speaker 2: So actually I have this vivid recollection at age six, I guess in first grade. I know where I was seated. I can see the whole room with my dad reading a book, and I don't remember what the book said, but I'll make it up. It's my typical made up part of the story is that it said I'm reading the Big Red Dog. And my father looks at me with like, you know, sort of astonishment and says what And I said the Big Red Dog? And he asked me again and I said the Big Red Dog. And then he points to where the word red would be and there's no red, and he says, where do you see red? And I start crying because it was their daddy. I know that they wanted to hold me back a year, but my dad was trained as an educator and one of his classmates was the school principal, so he got him to push me along and my dad changed jobs a lot, so this was in a suburb of Buffalo, then moved to Toronto, moved back to another Buffalo suburb, and then the second half of fifth grade we moved to Wellesley, mass And for people who do not know, Wellesley is a rather well to do suburb of Boston, my dad had declared bankruptcy, so I'm not a child of wealth, and that's how we ended up. I don't know, that's how we ended up in Wellesley from bankruptcy and nice recovery. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Well and you know, Wellesley was for me just a watershed from everything, you know, like every part of life in so many different ways. And prior to Wellesley, I would say that the only thing I excel that in school was science. Everything else I did okay. But in my fifth grade teacher was somebody who wouldn't let you phone it in. You know. She was what we used to describe as a battle axe. One of my classmates had her mom had her for fifth grade also, yeah, and so she really push me on math. By sixth grade, I did self paced math. I did the entire math book by myself before I had joined the rest of the class for something a different book. But in seventh grade I went through a whole battery of tests with an educational psychologist which was based on the recommendations from my fifth and sixth grade teacher. So in middle school and they put me in eighth grade instead of taking social studies, I had a special ed class. And if this was today, it would never happen because I read and did math above my grade level. But what my fifth and sixth grade grade teachers identified was that my verbal skills were dramatically outstripping anything that I did writing, and so I had a special ed class. It was an experimental program from HW. So you know, I often say to people, I probably have the longest diagnosis of learning disabilities of anyone they'll meet, because that was done in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Wow, And it was very specifzific one in the area of writing, because you're reading and your math were above grade level.
Speaker 2: Well it was it was all sort of learning disabilities, you know at that point in time that they just.
Speaker 1: Jumbled it all together. But in this current day and age, they would identify it as a learning disability in the area of writing or what they would describe as dysgraphia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no reading, and there was hearing and also fine motor control. Oh okay, I remember the sort of class activity that, in hindsight I say was the one that deal would find motor control was using a very flat, brightly colored mosaics what my kids in school when they were in elementary school, the teachers called math manipulatives, okay, And we would make these huge mosaics on you know, a six foot diameter table. So if you push a little bit hard because they're mostly triangles or yeah, what's what's the shape when it's two triangles on top, you know, one on top of the other, and and and you would move, you know, if you screwed it up while you had all these other people who worked on it also, so you had to fit and fit it all together again. And there are also activities they did that were specific to hearing. Mm hmm, although I you know, there's a lot of what I think they identified at hearing was just the difference of having a Buffalo accent, the Toronto accent to Wellesley you know, Massachusetts accent. But you know, my wife would say, I still have hearing difficulties, but that's I.
Speaker 1: Think Yeah, that's that's what our wife say, right, right exactly. I don't think he it's not so much that he's not hearing, it's that he's.
Speaker 2: Not listening, right, And you know, and and and I'd say from my own standpoint, you know, I realized that I don't have very linear thinking. So throughout high school when I had to write papers, my mother would type them for me, and i'd write them out longhand and it'd be the kind of thing that, you know, I'd get two or three pages into it, and then I would write a whole new paragraph that I put a big carrot down the side, write a letter A, and then go back and write a little A. And she would insert that in there. And I know the thing that fixed that and made me from someone who didn't write, I mean, he took a class in college and creative writing. What took me from a non writer to a writer was a computer because the nonlinear thinking was irrelevant. I stream of consciousness, put it all there and then jumble it back around afterwards. It's also a computer screen seemed to work better with the way I can read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for many students, folks have figured out that giving them a keyboard and a computer changed everything. And then for some other students that actually is not the right way to go, and looking at everybody from an individual perspective is really really critical. Some kids do better if you if you actually dictate, you know, into some kind of you know, program that that'll accept the audio part and then go back and figure out I just talked at it, and now let me figure out how to rearrange it.
Speaker 2: And and the audio is an interesting thing because when I was in chiropractic college, and you know, an enormous volume of material to read, and I would tape record my classes, and so I was. I was in school in Texas from seventy nine to eighty three, and I bought this very early tape cassette tape player that would play back things at a faster speed. I can listen faster, but it didn't make the pitch go high. It you know, chopped out little pieces and squished it together.
Speaker 1: Oh so it didn't sound like Mini Mouse.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, which you know, if you do this with YouTube or any different reels, you can go and change the playback speed and it doesn't make it sound like like Minni. And Mickey was oh, snoopy. I thought, I thought I had, I thought a mouse on it.
Speaker 1: I needed that tape recorder when I was taking a gross anatomy because I very faithfully and religiously taped every single lecture but never listened to them again because they took two hours and I did like, I couldn't figure out how to where the time was. I didn't do well in that class. But that's that's somewhat I am now a special educator and not what I had originally started out to be that needed to pass gross anatomy. But so I think, though you're your nonlinear thinking, though has taken you in a variety of different directions, and it has opened you up to a variety of different I don't know if I want to call them subsets or different aspects of your chiro chiropractic career. Would that be correct?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I practiced the New York from eighty three till ninety one, and in the last couple of years, I sort of, you know, I started reading actually a lot more scientific literature and the things that I was seeing with patients. I started asking the question, let's you know, investigate this from a you know, a research standpoint, and I started jumbling in my head about doing that, and then the opportunity came along when the University of Bridgeport started their chiropractic program in nineteen ninety one, and I sold my practice and was the first faculty member hired then. And then during during the time period that I was at you b the nonlinearity comes into the fact that my original research was all biomechanics related, and then I don't know, I'd have a conversation with someone and we'd think up an idea, and then we'd go that way, and then I'd have a conversation with somebody else and we'd go this way. And so I have a pretty diverse set of published papers. And the weirdest one is that my right now most cited paper is about AI.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, fairly recent.
Speaker 2: Two years ago, and it's my previously most cited paper was one I did with some colleagues on factors affecting Masters athletes, and that one, you know, was was way up there and in less than and that was thirty years ago, and this AI one in two years is blown past that. For a number of citations, I mean every day I get some notification almost every day, I get a notification that was cited by another journal.
Speaker 1: So give me a little bit of a give me the abstract on this on this AI paper, is it focusing on how you would use AI and your practice or what is it?
Speaker 2: Was? It was really about can AI write scholarly papers?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay? And we you know, we discussed that issue and discuss the issue, you know, which is pretty old tech at this point in time, about how to determine whether something was written by AI. But I guess it's foundational to a lot of people that we were the first ones asking this question. And then what we also did was we had an AI I think it was chech Gpt write the paper and then see could we identify, you know, because we had already written it, but then see if it wrote the paper and could we identify or did it come up with something similar to what we did.
Speaker 1: So well, that's interesting and I think currently within education, I know, my husband came back yesterday and said something about kids are handing in work that was completely done by AI. They don't even have enough I don't know, desire, knowledge, understanding or whatever that you should at least try to make it sound like a yours. But I think that's, you know, becoming a really big issue. It's it's an awful out Like the Internet, in my opinion is it's incredibly useful in so many ways and also incredibly detrimental.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Well, you know that's so. I think it's fifteen years ago or so. I was teaching a ergonomics class that you be, and fully half of my class took their research project, which was to redesign something in an ergonomic way. They had to do four different things. They took them from the web, and the dumbest part, I mean, if you're gonna cheat, be a little bit smart about this. Most of them took it from a website I shared with them to give them examples of how to do it.
Speaker 1: You would think that I graduate students would be a little more savvy than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I actually just recently read an interesting implementation in AI and education, which was to tell the students to have an AI write the assignment and then verify what the AI said.
Speaker 1: No, that's it. I like that idea because then it helps them see It was useful in one way, but it also created some other problems over here or when the teacher gets basically the same paper like from five different students. You know, then you start to go, oh, you either all worked on this together or you all talk to the same AI person and they wrote it for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I think part of it is getting them to figure out that the AI is hallucinating or that it's not using we'll say, well verified sources to begin with. It might not be hallucinating, but it's it's chosen sources that it shouldn't trust. And in fact, that idea of looking at sources that shouldn't trust is what actually prompted the whole idea about the paper we wrote because I I asked AI a question that I knew the answer to, posted it to a Facebook group for chiropractors and the answer I came up with was inconsistent with what the best scientific evidence is at this point in time. And one of the editors of British uh British medical journal Sports Medicine was in the group and said, hey, we should write a paper about AI. That's how that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's I mean, it's like the more advanced version of Wikipedia when students were using that as they're like your primary source. Now that that might that might be a place to gather some information and move on, right, you find some find some buzzwords, and and move on. So tell me a little bit more about your educational experiences or maybe just life in general. Is there anyone who you would say was kind of your champion, your cheerleader while you were working through some of the process that you went through to figure out how you operate best.
Speaker 2: In the world. Me, it was, and you know, literally after after that middle school class, and I should say in that class, you know, well say I'm pretty high functioning. There were people in that class in eighth grade and in ninth grade who were incapable of actually reading, and you had to have a certain minimum IQ score to get into this, so that you know that that was their their check to make sure this was not an intelligence issue. After that, you know, I don't think any of that information transferred to because I didn't go to high school in Wellesley. We moved to Northern Jersey. I don't know whether that went with my records or whether they cared at all. I mean, I remember my freshman year in math, the the teacher gave me a B in the first quarter even though I scored one hundred on every test because you didn't do the homework. I didn't do any of the homework ever, and I mean it was just too easy. And she, for whatever reason left after the first quarter, and the guy who replaced her was like, you get a hundred, I don't care whether you do the homework or not. Palm. That was me having to deal with it myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a common teacher thing where they just really insist that homework is so valuable and it is depending on what kids to do, but sometimes you ask them to do stuff that has no value, and then you get caught in that cycle of if you don't bring your homework in, I'm lowering your grade even though you understand the material.
Speaker 2: And then harder homework, well that would be true too, And so you know, through high school, you know, it was I'm going to skate. To a large degree, it was all a non issue for me from that point on. You know, it was an issue, but I just worked my way around it. And so you know, nobody helped me doing any of it at any point in time.
Speaker 1: So you know, I think maybe perhaps a couple of things happened as you moved from Massachusetts to New Jersey. Sometimes school districts don't want to know that you were getting special education services because they need to pay for those, although you were kind of on the cusp of that legal action. And other times I think records get lost or don't get passed along as efficiently as they need to. And then maybe even by the time somebody figured out that, you know, your paperwork showed up six months later, it became on it was unnecessary, you know. I guess there's a piece of me though that's a little bit saddened by the fact that there wasn't anybody who was sort of cheering you on or champion you in any way. Was there anyone as you got further along in your education or was college and chiropractic school somewhat similar in that regard is that you just figured stuff out for yourself.
Speaker 2: I just figured that stuff out for myself. I mean, you know, I went to I went from high school to Rental or Polytechnic Institute, and I'll say at RPI did not do that well, did actually pretty poorly, And it sort of was the easier the class, the worst the grade, and then a whole bunch of different things happened in my last semester. When my grades came, I was really thinking I was going to do. The best i'd done that year was a three to five and I got a zero point nine. I mean, I had a ninety eight average going into one final. I got a D in that class. I had a ninety two average going into a final of another course. I got a D. In that course. I was doing a self pace research project, and I thought I did not you know, you know, students don't know what the hell's going on in academia. And I thought, well, I'm working really hard. I'm working with my advisor, but we didn't produce anything yet, so I got it incomplete. I thought I was going to get an A because of what I was doing. And I have to say that that was one of the best semesters in college I ever had. And not that I was, you know, on drugs all the time and having fun. It's not to say it wasn't either, but I'd learned more in that semester through the semester, during the semester than I learned in any other semester ever in college. I think until I got into grad school and the other thing was. From a personal standpoint, it taught me that failure isn't the worst thing in life. You know. In the end, my parents still of me, life still went on. I had already transferred to Sunni Buffalo, so the you know, the grades were irrelevant. I'd already gotten into suiting Buffalo. And but in Buffalo, I thought, you know, the change, change the major and change of things would change things. And in fact, once again, if the class was easy, I did poor in the class. And I didn't really fix myself from a standpoint of as how do I study and how do I do that? Until I got into Chiropractic College, and you know, and and there I finally felt like a fish in water. From an educational standpoint, well, I.
Speaker 1: Would suspect too. By the time you get to a graduate degree, you've narrowed the focus down to something that you know that you're very interested in. Yeah, And I mean the good news bad news about undergraduate programs is they ask you to take a variety of courses because sometimes you don't really know what you're going to do, or they're thinking that we're creating well rounded citizen sense, which we may or may not be doing. So then you know, here you are and you know English literature or whatever, and you don't necessarily like it, but you really like you know, I don't know a math class or a science class or a psychology class, but you have to take you know, you have to sort of things off the whole buffet and not order just the stuff you want off the menu, which I think is is good and bad. You know. I think it helps students figure out maybe where they want to be or what they want to do, especially if they have no idea. And other times I think we're wasting people's time because they already know where they're going and we should probably just get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then I'd say, you know, when I was practicing, I did a lot of volunteer work, both in my profession and profession related but not in the profession. I was involved in track and field in New York, and I was involved in say professional organizations within sports medicine, and both of those were like tremendously demanding, lots of things that go on. And my wife is a list writer. The list don't work for me because I don't get everything off the list, and then I have to rewrite the list. And I got the I got a very early software that handled up keeping checklists of things and and that worked for my brain. And you know, and then from that one, I got a Palm Pilot and then you know, work my way to you know, I still use one piece of software called Omnifocus to manage tasks. But you know, my colleagues in both of those organizations were always amazed by you know, I'd say I'd call you in two weeks and two weeks to the day, I'd call them. You know, I'd say I'd have something done at a particular date, and I always did. And you know, they go, Yo, you're so organized, and you're so like like, you know, like this, and I'm like, no, I'm a dits. I'm a complete dits. But I created the system around myself. Fortunately I stumbled upon it that was able to deal with, you know, my my ditziness and control it from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which the good news is is there there are lots of pieces of software and apps in a variety of things now that that help folks sort of stay on stay on task, or you know, remember things that they know they're they're going to easily forget as soon as they walk away from that particular situation. I'm going to I think I might know the answer to this. But I mean, your your educational brand, your work brain, it seems to be going all the all the time, even though you have. Did you officially retire those of the words that one would use or did you just decide you're not working there anymore?
Speaker 2: I don't work at you, b.
Speaker 1: That's how I just That's how I would describe it too, But I wasn't sure whether you're using that word retire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I usually say I'm retired. But before I got on this, I was doing some proof that it's on a textbook from writing yeah.
Speaker 1: And still, yeah, you're still actively engaged within within your profession. But what do you what do you do for relaxation and how does that help you sort of unwind.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I say, you know, my brain's going a mile in a minute. And the things that work to not skiing, sailing, haven't sailed in a while, cooking, and when I cook, the brain doesn't go all over the place. Photography, give me, give me a camera. And I remember once we were on vacation in Ireland and it was really cold outside but I walked out without a jacket and I spent two hour shooting pictures. It didn't matter because I had a camera in my hand, and then the other one is traveling. Yeah, well it wasn't that cold, you know, it was chilly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, But I think, though, what you just said though about going out with the camera is very much like some of the other things you described throughout your educational and professional career, is that when you see something you're interested in, you kind of you zoom in on that, and all the other stuff sort of goes to the the fuzzy spaces in the background and maybe comes back in when needed, or maybe it doesn't bring back in at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just you know, I described that as being a geek, and you know, and whatever it is, I geek out on whether it's travel, cooking, photography, you know, and and and you know you want to know the best tech to use to travel. I'll tell you you want to know how to find where the sun is going to set. I'll tell you what app I have on my phone that tells you where sun rise sunset word as any time of the year, because it's you know, computers are I learned that computers are a tool to help me do the things I want to do. And in fact, when I when I was diagnosed with the learned disabilities, was the exact same year that we were required to learn how to program a computer, in nineteen seventy. Oh wow, They've been a tool that I've used, you know, since I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember my computer class in high school and it was like, I don't know basic actually in high school, rich or whatever. I never figured that out.
Speaker 2: Oh see, And I'd learned in junior high school in Wellesley, And then when I came to high school, they had just gotten access to a time shared computer system, and I actually taught the entire math department how to program a computer. Later on, I took a programming class from one of the teachers who'd learned more than I had been able to teach him.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I did. You definitely. You always seem to have like a real strong set of skills, which I think has probably been to your advantage over time in a whole variety of situations. The fact that you know, you figure things out for yourself, You figure out what's going to work, and then you use the skills that you have to accomplish, the things that you need to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Well, I think those are things I got from my dad, because my dad taught me the word catholic with a small tea, I mean salt tea. How do I get that? There's dyslexay for it. A small C, you know, means comprehensive, and my dad had a comprehensive interest. There was really no topic that didn't interest him. And the other thing is nothing would beat him. You know, if he needed something was broken, you just had to spend more time finding out how to fix it. And so you know, everyvery you know, you don't give up. It's a sammer. I read this paper about the difference between Japanese kids and American kids. They give them an unsolvable math problem, and American kids stop after I'll say, like, you know, thirty seconds, and the Japanese kids will go five minutes before they give up on the problem. And so you know, I'm in that sense. I guess I'm more.
Speaker 1: Japanese, but I think you're You're more a lot of things from all the different places that I know that that you've traveled, and I aspect you've picked up all sorts of things from all over the place. But we are coming to the last few moments of our time together. I really appreciate you. You know, you're sharing how how you operate in the world. I think that it's it's very interesting to sort of hear how you've figured out how to operate in the world in a way that that is successful. I think, you know, sometimes some folks haven't figured that out. And we probably give probably kudos to your dad for teaching you to be really persistent, because I think if you are a student right now in having some of the same experiences that you had, you probably would have you probably would have thrown your hands up if he had not sort of taught you to just keep keep going figure it out. You'll figure it out, or you're watching him do those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know one thing I've said when I've had students who've had accommodations because because of learning disabilities or whatever it was, and I'd say, look, you know, if you think I'm accomplished, I'm you. Yeah, so if I could do it, you can do it, and you just have to figure it out. I think you know, you have to figure it out for yourself. It's nice if someone could coach you and lead you that way, but you know, there's an awful lot of people like I just saw an interview with Paul McCartney who says, you know, no one in the Beatles knows how to read music. None of them ever learned how to read music. And in fact, John learned to play guitar by banjo, which has less strings, and so his mom taught him chords on a banjo, and later on somebody would show him another chord and he could add a string to it. You know, So sometimes you have to Sometimes you have to work it out, and a lot of really accomplished people do work it out. It'd be nice if somebody could help you well.
Speaker 1: And you know, as a as a special educator, I think that one of the responsibilities that my colleagues have is to help you figure it out, like not to figure it out for you, but to help that individual find the way that works for them, which is why you know, it's all referred to as individualized educational programming, but it's oftentimes not as individualized as it as it needs to be. So but so thank you so much for spending your time with us. I appreciate it, and you know, I look forward to hearing hearing about your adventures and in the future. I know that some of us travel vicariously through your through your photographs, so we appreciate this. What I appreciate your ability to take a good picture and to share pictures of food that sometimes I'm not sure I would eat, but other times I'm very interested in.
Speaker 2: But you are.
Speaker 1: That's another that that's a whole nother podcast. You're you're daring your daring choices about about foods that people have offered you. So but all right, well, thank you so much, and thank you to our audience for listening to us today, and we will be back in a couple of weeks. Thank you for listening to Universal Unique exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. Join me doctor Lorie on Transformation Talk Radio every second and fourth Monday at eleven thirty Pacific time, as we continue to explore navigating a world not designed for diversity, for advocacy and support for individuals with disabilities, Let's connect. Learn more about consulting and life coaching at Noopallisticconsulting dot com.