Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye with the podcaster and Tony Jrdiman. Here as always with Tom or Tom. How's it going?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm doing great. You, I think have a lot to prove on this show. You really haven't been pulling your weight this month, and I think this is your opportunity to show the people that you deserve to stay on the Buckeye Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 1: Listen, Hello everybody. Uh, I don't have to prove anything to anybody. All right, like you're watching me, Tom, you're talking to me. I'm not talking like anyway. Well we're talking about here is what other people have to do to prove themselves. I have, I am, I have proven I have I have. I have won the I've won the Bold Predictions seven years in a row. What more do I need to prove?
Speaker 2: I don't know that we've even done the Bold Predictions seven years in a row, but.
Speaker 1: Seven years in a row, I've won the Bold Predictions. I have nothing left to prove, because you know, when you can get two out of seven or eight predictions correct, that tells you that you are proven. But no, with now practice kind of winding down and games heating up, there are still well, maybe ten or so practices left before the first game. We're going to talk about the players who have the most proved in those practices in order to established themselves their their position. They're standing. And the first guy I want to talk about is Richard Freshman quarterback Tavan Saint Clair, who is in a battle to be the backup quarterback for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Last week when we talked to Brian Day said, Luke Fahee is pushing him this week. There there may be some changes there and so if he wants to make sure that that job is his, he's got a little bit of time to do it, because as we know, once the season gets going, that backup quarterback job it's generally set and there's not a lot of jockeying once you know, there may just be this week in terms of getting this thing finally set to where it's locked in and it's not changing. So this is this is a big week for you know, Luke Faygee as well, But to be pushed by Fayhie, I think this is a Tavan Saint Clair has the most approved in terms of the the backup quarterback situation right now, and he's next to say, four or five days.
Speaker 2: Well, it feels like the default answer here is you're going to sort of lean towards the guy who's been here an extra year, the guy who has you know, the size and the arm and all that kind of stuff. But the fact that this is a even a conversation right now, and the fact that this seems like this is more than just sometimes you get just sort of yeah, you never know, you might got to watch this, and it's just sort of the coaches talking to the players through us. This has gotten to the point that I really don't think this is just the players getting talked to by the coaches through the media. I think there's there's really you're hearing enough when there is not a microphone in front of someone to think that, yeah, this might really be a conversation right now. And you know, to your point, people might be wondering, why does it have to be settled now? If you've got a starting quarterback battle and there's like a question like who's the who's going to be the number one, that's something that that they may spend practice reps on who's the backup if it's still really an open question going into the season, it generally is just kind of like, well, who was ahead going you know, going in, you know out coming out of fall camp. All right, that's the person who's going to be the backup because you just you don't have that many reps to spend on that. And the famous example of that, of course, was twenty seventeen when it was Dwayne Haskins and Joe Burrow battling BQB two behind J. T. Barrett, and it felt like Joe Barrett Burrow is maybe ahead of Dwayne Haskins, and then he hit his hand and a helmet broke a bone in his hand, and then he was out for you know, six, eight week whatever it was, and so Dwayne Haskins was QB two. And then when J. T. Barrett got assaulted by a cameraman on the sideline at Michigan and too out at the end of that season, got whacked in the knee, had to come out of the game, Dwayne Haskins comes in. Rashan Gary has big proclamations about what's going to happen to Dwayne Haskins and turns out to be wrong about all of them, and then Dwayne Haskins sort of enters twenty eighteen and spring ball in twenty eighteen as QB. You know, QB one, you know, or essentially likely to be the perceived as a little bit ahead of Joe Burrow, and the rest is history. Joe Burrow, you know, goes through springball, it was basically even and he ends up leaving because he wants to make sure he's a starter somewhere, and it all played out the way it played out. But you know, the moral of the story, the relevance of that to this is you've got to know who QB two is relatively soon. And you know this is this does not seem like something that Tavian Saint Clair has already lost by any means, but it does seem like, to Tony's point, if Kavian Sinclair has a good week, Tavian Saint Clair can be QB two, and then Tavian Saint Clair is probably QB two all season long. With the reps, the game reps, the practice reps, and all the stuff that comes with it.
Speaker 1: You know, you're talking about that Joe Burrow example. I was thinking back to the JT. Barrett situation in twenty fourteen when I was just trying to get a quick timeline, but basically, like he gets urban Meyer names him the backup, and then I don't know, the next day or two it's announced that Braxon Miller's out for the season, and so boom, there's your starter. And it stayed that way as we know, until it didn't later in the season.
Speaker 2: Turns out, yeah, changed during the Michigan game every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Huh, there you go, and it works. Maybe maybe that's the real message here with this one is you got to be ready for that Michigan game. But yeah, that backup's got to be prepared to play and can't necessarily be worried about what's going on in quarter The coaches can't be worried about trying to figure that out either. But he's still to performing practice and a limited amount of opportunities that you get. Speaking of limited amount of opportunities in practice, the next guy on the list that I want to talk about is Kyle Parker, transfer from LSU. Was fine in the spring getting reps in the slot at Z and has some experience. Cut thirty some passes last year as a red shirt sophomore. This is his fourth year in college. Has started a number of games he's relatively experienced. We never saw him and he's been kind of am I A in terms of information I want I don't want to say he's mia and like I haven't really heard a lot about him, and not necessarily somebody that has been asked about by you know, of Ryan Day, because we only have like you get one question and do you want to ask about Kyle Parker? Do you want to ask about something else? And so this presuming he's able to go at some point, you want to see him get into the offense, figure out where he is, how he's utilized. Is he inside, is he outside? Is he pushing somebody? Is he being pushed? This is not this? I mean, is he going to be a guy that is productive? Is he in the rotation? We assume he is. We've talked all along that he was going to be one of those four veterans and then maybe some freshmen can come along. But we need to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to see it, and the coach just need to see it because it's just it has It's not that he hasn't performed, it's just he hasn't been out there. He missed several weeks of camp. I have not heard a definitive answer as to how back he is right now, if he's completely back, if he's still limited, I'm not I'm honestly not sure on the answer on that. But it's getting late pretty early for him, because you know, he comes he came in with the advantage of he played for quart Haz Hankton at LLSCU last year, So Cork has Hankton knows him and knows his game and knows what his strengths are, and so you know that that will certainly help Kyle Parker case in terms of getting on the field and getting time this year. But Jeremiah Smith, you know, he's starting, Brandon Innis seems like he's got a, you know, very regular spot. Devin McEwan feels like he's got a very regular spot. Chris Henry Junior is certainly feels like he's moving up that pecking order quite a bit. Rock Boyd moving up that pecking order quite a bit. We've been hearing good things about Dez Jones the last week or so. It feels like he's maybe moving into that that that sort of pecking order. And I just said six names, and that is about as deep as you're going to go with the wide receiver rotation. So you know, I think Kyle Parker coming out of the spring, we would have had at least in the top four, probably coming out of the spring with the three starters that I mentioned and then him and then you know, well you got fresh from behind them, and we'll see how the freshmen do. And the second year guys, well, you know we haven't seen a lot from them. Well, now a couple of the freshmen have really moved up and maybe leap frogs Kyle Parker, and I don't know where Des Jones is in terms of, you know, a number of snaps that he'll see this year, but it seems like he's making a push for playing time as well. So yeah, this is this is a case where if you don't get a chance to show what you can do a lot during Paul Camp, it get you your opportunities are going to become more and more limited as the season goes along. Yeah, All State game, sure, Kent State game, sure, and maybe you can prove something and move up the order then, but if you don't take advantage of those limited opportunities, at some point, you kind of are where you are until something significant changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you saw the Charlie Becker thing is an interesting significant change where I don't know why they decided to start playing in but they finally did and it worked well for Indiana. But at this point, if if you've got young guys ahead of you, and I'm not saying that that's what's happened, but if that has happened, then you've got to reclaim your spot. And sometimes I say the talent is touched that you can't reclaim your spot. And so that's why we have them on this list. Another transfer Terry Moore, who you know was the number two free safety in the spring for the first half that he was the number one free safety in the spring the second half. I don't know how much free safety stuff they're doing. That's the information that I've been able to get, and it's not anything that we saw in the first three days. They didn't play three safeties. They played two safeties of nickel in two corners, and so it very much seems like it's Jalen McLain and ear Little at safety and Jay Timmons at nicol and then obviously Jerine Matthews and Devin say it is at corner but what is Terry Moore's role? Is he just it's dismiss him to say is he just the backup free safety? Is like is that going to be his role?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that is there is there a spot for him in a package? Is there something that he can do where it's not just going to be okay Jayalen mclin's day is done, go on in Terry Moore, go on in Lee roy Roker or something like that. So I think this is an opportunity. It's and maybe the opportunity frankly has passed because of one scheme, But if they had seen more, I don't know that they'd be saying we're just a two safety system now.
Speaker 2: Well, it just it feels like this is a little like the offensive line when we talked about the offensive line on the last show, where it's like, well, every time we see them, they're doing this thing. And so I don't know how seriously to take the conversation about, well, we're really seriously thinking about this other thing. It just feels like when we've seen Terry Moore and le ro Roker, they've been with the twos and coming out of the spring, I had Terry Moore with the ones in sharpie, like not even a question. And then at some point over the summer, I think this is a Jay Timmins happened sort of situation where they're just they're looking for their best combination of guys, and we came out of the spring thinking, Okay, Terry Moore at that deep safety spot or a little at that nickel, and okay, you're freud in your two safety transfers. You're putting them next to Jalen McLean and bing bang bloom, You're done. And then you sort of just started to hear about Jay Timmins, and you heard more about Jay Timmins, and then Jay Timmins became the only thing anyone could talk about, and someone has to come off the field and it was not gonna be or a little and it wasn't gonna be Jayalen McLean, and so then it was Terry Moore and it just it just feels like that has not been something that's been really discussed to the point where I would be a little surprised. It feels like you're, you know, you're gonna pull j Timmins off the field when you're gonna put three linebackers out there, So you're pulling Jay Timmins off the field, but it's Raley Petty John going out there, not Terry Moore. So yeah, I still remain high on Terry Moore. I mean, you looked at the transfer portal rankings, you look at just what he looked like at Duke before that knee injury in twenty twenty four, and it's like, yeah, you see what they saw, and you see what they wanted to bring in. But it just feels like he has sort of fallen behind now and I don't know, you know, until someone, you know, if someone gets hurt, Yeah, maybe he's that next guy in there. It just right now, it feels like it may be, you know, the window of opportunity may have closed, at least for the short term for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you're playing the same position essentially as Jalen McLain, you're not going to be number one. And so it's just I wonder, is he involved in a big nickel or is that just something we've talked about with Simeon Caldwell the freshman safety, which kind of sort of leads into this next thing, and that's we'll go ahead, and you mentioned two guys here and that's the second year defense vents and Zion Grady and that Satana Land And the reason I mentioned Simmon calledwell, it's like we're hearing about some guys like Jay Timmins and we're seeing that. And Simmon calledwell, and like Riley Petty John, you're hearing about guys stepping up. Really through this camp. Have not heard much about Zion Grady and Epistamalay, and we expect both of them to be part of that rotation. There's no reason not to. It's just there's not been much talk about them. And you know, we've we've talked to a couple of defensive linemen and they're saying good things. But it's like from inside, I guess I'm not really hearing much as much as I I would like. Certainly I've never tom. I'm not hearing much as I would like from inside the program. Yes, welcome to the world, but I guess they're here. One because it's a very important role. You know, you're you're trying to make sure that you've got depth there. And two it's just I have not really heard much about either of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Bantt Christian last week, I just did a I did a bonus show on the Buckeyes Tomorrow Morning podcast feed. I put up some clips from Bennett Christian's interview and he talked about Epi Sitanala and Carry Wilder is two of the young defensive ends who are jumping out. But it is definitely you were sort of expecting coming off of year one. A lot of times, guy, you get guys who play I think Zion Grady played one hundred snaps give or take last year, and a lot of times you get a guy who played a hundred snaps in year one. Okay, Boom, he's ready to play a bigger role and at least be you know, the clear cut number three there where he's the first guy off the bench at the very least, if not, he's you know, starting. And I think my assumption coming out of last season was, Okay, one or both of those guys is going to be in that you know, defensive end two defensive end pre role. Bo Atkinson is either going to transfer or be like a role player, and that's going to be it. And bo Atkinson has taken a pretty significant step forward to the point where he's very clearly I think right now the guy who's going to be starting opposite Kenyatta Jackson. And so then the question is, Okay, where are the other guys? Because you're right, it has been very quiet with Zion Grady this year at this fall, and it's been, you know, somewhat quiet with Epicitanola as well. And those are guys who we both sort of expected to be ready to take that next step, and it just feels like you haven't heard the stuff you would normally be hearing if they were really at that point. So the good news is for those guys need someone, you are not going to it's going to be ninety something degrees in ninety percent humidity in Austin, Texas even at seven thirty at night or whenever that game kicks off, you are going to need to play a bunch of defensive linemen. They're probably going to play eight to ten defensive lineman at least in that game. So the opportunities are there, and it's just a matter of, all, right, who was ready to seize that role as defensive end number three, defensive end number four.
Speaker 1: And the last guy I want to mention is on that defensive line, and that's Edric Houston, who was always going to be interesting to watch how he reacted to James Smith being brought in and John Walker frankly as well to play on that defensive line. He knows, Edric Houston knows he shouldn't playing sixty snaps. Nobody should thirty five, forty. There's an opportunity there. But I think just reaffirming that this is my job, this is my spot. I'm not going to lose it like I did last year. And then he lost the job last year but still played and eventually played more minutes or more snaps than Taiwan Malone who was starting. So it's like I say, lose his job. It's like Malone started most of the games and that was supposed to be Edric Houston this year. I don't really get all hung up on defensive line starters because they all play. You know, if you're in a rotation and you're playing regular minutes, I don't really care who starts. But he does need to show that this is the year. This is supposed to be the year he produces. So I think let's continue to see that through practice, finish on a strong note, and be one of the effective members of this defense. Because this defense when it's got a strong defensive tackle, whether that's a three tech or nose tackle, so many more things can happen. And they've had some really good three techs at Ohio State, Draymont Jones, Tyler Williams, guys like that. And if Edrick Houston can finish this string of this next two weeks of practice and hit the season running and then also pair with James Smith like this is this could be something special. But we just haven't seen a ton of production from him in his time, and I think that's really why he's on this list. For me is I want I want to see that production. So he has to finish. I think it would help if he finishes strong, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Tom, Yeah, for sure. And you know he started his career. I mean he came in as a defensive end and then halfway through the season you saw him playing at free tech and playing actual meaningful minutes. I think he played like against Penn State as a true freshman at a position that is more physically demanding than the position he initially came in at. So that was that was like, Wow, this guy's destined for enormous things, and then first of fall camp last year twenty twenty five, hurts his knee, and I mean that was really like, that was a big oof for Ohio State. That was a big oof for Everard Houston, And it felt like it took him quite a while to get back up to speed. But then by the end of the year it was like, Okay, it feels like he's maybe back where he sort of thought he would be at this point. Now, can he take another step forward this year? And it feels like we're kind of still asking that same question where he's there, He's going to play, He's going to be contributor this year. I think he's going to have a good season. But is he going to have a yeah, that was a pretty good season, or is he going to have the you know, this is the five star guy who was good enough to get out on the field midway through his true freshman season plus two years that you know, that projection is that guy's a really you know, all conference kind of player. And they do not have Caden McDonald in the middle that defensive line this year. And I think, you know, John Walker and Will Smith will be fine, and I think James Smith, I'm expecting big things from James Smith. But if you can get a you know, a really good season, too great season out of it, Edward Houston, that raises the ceiling for what this Ohio State defense can be. And if it's just kind of like, yeah, it's an okay season, then that kind of limits you a little.
Speaker 1: Bit very much. So, so those are some names that we're thinking about. What about you, guys, go ahead and through those in the comments. Anybody that you need to see finish strong, not that you're gonna be there watching, but that needs to have a strong finished to practice before that first game against Ball State, and whatever other comments you've got, generally we will accept them. Not that we can tell you don't do it. I mean we can, but you know how it goes. But also, hit the thumbs up, subscribe to the channel. If you've not you done so, hit that thumbs up, hit the bell to be notified. Come find us over at Buckeyinsider's dot calm. We've been talking about these guys and many more. And look, if Ohio State is your thing, O high state football is your thing, well, high state sports are your thing, We're covering it over there. We're talking about it over there. We've got a community discussing it on a daily, hourly, minutely basis and would love to.
Speaker 2: See you over there.
Speaker 1: So that will do it from here. Thank you all for tuning in, and we'll talk to you all later this time.
Speaker 2: What about nothing rough away?
Speaker 1: The no one tell me?
Speaker 2: I wish you never meant nothing to me.
Speaker 1: Where I'm.
Speaker 2: Where my father?
Speaker 1: If you can tell me.
Speaker 2: That's the morn's all right. We can steal current leads now,