Speaker 1: Listen. I'm afraid when people are mad at me too, But at some point I go, I'm sorry, you're not going to live my life. I have to. If you don't keep boundaries, who's going to trust you? You don't have any boundaries. I get real nervous from people of boundaries. They're Lucy Goosey, make me nervous. You don't have to be angry and belligerent, but you can kind of speak up and decide what you want. And if you don't feel like having sex but you don't want to break up with your partner, then you say, you know what, I'm not feeling it. The rules we were raised with, I hate to tell you, is a lie and it's not something you have to live by anymore. And you don't get points for clinging to things you did right before. No one's giving out trophies for who is the good girl.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, my name is Haley and this is Lara, and welcome.
Speaker 1: To the body Pod.
Speaker 3: All right, today we are so excited to welcome Terry Trespacio. I got it right. I'm really happy to the body Pod today. And this is going to be quite a different podcast than I think that we normally have with our guests, Terry, we are so looking forward to diving in here, and I kind of want to start with the good stuff right away. I want to go right into your Ted talks.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, so.
Speaker 3: Let's kind of just cover the unfollow your passion and kind of start with that first one. But I love the second topic, which we'll get to as well. Yeah, from the second Ted talk, But could you just give us a rundown of that Ted talk and what inspired you to?
Speaker 1: Oh, so that Ted X talk is now looking to me a little long in the tooth. I mean it's now ten years old, you know what I mean. So I'm like, it's not exactly top of mind for me, but that talk changed my life. So it could be easy for someone to see that talk and go, oh, this woman talks about this. So then she went and did a Ted talk about that. But that's not how I got that Ted talk. I got that Ted talk, and by Ted I mean tedex But you know what I mean. I got how I've gotten some of my best opportunities. Someone dropped out and very close to like six weeks ahead of the event, I had been I think I manifested that because I was like, I so want to have a touch talk. And then I read a book that I won't name that I thought was lousy that talked me basically out of it. Was like, oh is this too hard? I'm not smart enough? Do I have to work at NASA? Like it made me feel like this is not something for a regular person to do wrong. But again, this was years ago. And then someone on Facebook, not even a friend, when I tell you the loosest connection, said oh, you seem to do a lot of speaking, like we had someone just drop out. Our company sponsors this ted X here and you know someone dropped out, So would you be willing to meet the producer. We're trying to gather up people who could pop in for this person. And I was like, oh my gosh, Yes, I got on a call with the producer that day. That is not how that works. Now, it's a cottage industry. Like you hire a coach, you do this. I mean I've been hired by people to help them with their talks. I mean that's a whole industry. You apply, you got. I didn't do it for that. I basically they were in a scramble and I got on the call with the guy and he said, so, do you have a ted talk in you? I did not have a talk ready. I was like, maybe someday I'll do that. I had no idea, but I had been doing a lot of at the time my post magazine editor life. I was a media coach, and so I was helping people put into words what they do. That was what I did for many years. And so I had been in my mind trafficking and in trafficking in opinions and knowing that the contrary opinion usually lands, usually gets Peel's attention. So he said, literally, what are some ideas you have? And I said, hmmm, I think I have a few ideas. And I dug into what I call like into my inner eyre. I was like, what are the things that really pissed me off? Because those make for great topics to talk about. And I said, well, i'll tell you what. Mike one of the most brilliant people ever worked with, And I said, I'll tell you what, Mike. I get a little bit annoyed about a few things. One is at the time, I said, the idea of fate makes me crazy because I feel like we don't have any control over the lah. I said The other thing I really don't like is people say to follow your passion. I go, what mealy mouthed advice? It doesn't it's not bad advice, it's just not helpful. And he goes, that's interesting. What do you Where does that go? Like? Tell me more about that. I go, I don't know when I tell you. I was like knitting the idea on the spot, and I was like, I said, I think it makes me mad because it's not helpful. It's not how you live your life, you know. So I'm impromptu Ted talking, which I like to do, but I hadn't done it yet. So then he goes, well, listen, why don't you go right up, like, what is the outline? What's it like? Basically, come up with a talk. You come up with some ideas for that, and like tell me what that even looks like, and then let's meet back here. At the time, it was skype, let's meet back here tomorrow. And I was like okay. So I got off the call and I started writing that talk. I said, I'm acting like I just got an assignment. I'm giving this Ted talk. So I wrote a bunch and I said, here's ideas. I came back the next day and I said, here's some ideas. Here's what I'm thinking. I mean, you know you work under pressure, right, we all do? Uh? And so he said this is interesting. I like this. I like this. Work on it again. When I tell you, I got on a call with him every day for like four or five days, and I was like, okay, so what are we talking about here? Should I get a plane ticket?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Do I am I doing this? Yeah? Are we seeing other people?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is the deal? And he was like, uh no, you're in. And he was king at first because who am I like? Nobody? And also, uh he looked at my background. And this is one of the few times when being a consultant who works for yourself can work against you because they're afraid you're going to come on and try to sell. Now I know better. I was already a professional speaker. I'm not going to come on and sell out of TA you can't do that. So I was like, no, no, no, I get it. Blah blah blah blah. That man helped me create that talk. It is not you do not get the producer to help you create the talk anymore. When I tell you, I did draft and submitted a draft and he'd edit it and draft all the way up to the week of the event. This was not far away from the event. It was maybe six weeks maybe iplored and I am now I didn't have the ending to that talk because he's like, well, what's the answer, Like what is that? And I was like, uh, like if you'll have I don't know what. I was like, let's figure it out. And I'm telling you. It was like days before the event. I said, I got it. I was like, this is the idea and that last line of that Ted talk is the line. And that's when I knew. I was like, I'm done, this is done. I know it. And I and I didn't know you could use a monitor like I didn't. You can't. You can do slides, but I wasn't doing slides. He goes, you're better off just memorizing it. So not only had I just written it, now I have to memorize it. I memorize it word for word because I was like, I can't and I don't give talks that way. I do not, but for this it's like you have to come in tight on your time. You have to know every word. So when you watch that talk, know that it has been rehearsed. I don't think I said another thing but that talk for the days leading up, and then I was so nervous and I walked out there and I was like, this moment could change my life, or it maybe doesn't. And it did. It completely changed my life as a speaker because and listen, we can't control who watches our talks. There are so many talks and so many things. But back then it was still a little less crowded, and that talk on its own, people like, how'd you get like so many millions of views? I was like, listen, good, good content will find a home in people's attention. And I didn't. I can't be like, well, mine was the best. I don't know what it was, but it worked. It hit a note, it really did. And I left that theater and I was like, okay, that was fun. And then within like two months, I had like a million views, which back then was a lot. And from there it was just like holy cow. So then people would find the talk and I had all incoming. I never had to pitch a talk after that. For a while. People just find that talk and they would just hire me. So but anyway, you didn't ask about that. Sorry you didn't ask me about love your arc.
Speaker 3: I love it, And I want to know how old were you when you when that first Ted talk.
Speaker 1: Wasubb, well, I'm fifty two now, so I was forty two.
Speaker 3: Forty two, okay, so midlife? Oh absolutely that week completely changing your life.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't think anything worth talking about happens until after forty or anything. Let's say, well we really enjoying. Like at forty I was like, oh now I'm I'm I'm clicked in now, like we're on the bike and we're going like that was it. But before that's all I got about I have a great life. I'm not very lucky to have life I had, but I was still excitedly. And then after forty I was like, oh yeah, that's right, I actually do whatever the hell I want now. And I was like I forgot for a sec that I'm a free person and I can do whatever. So that around that time, I had been taking improv classes, which is where I met my best friends. So I'm still friends with just for fun, just get out of my house. Because I was working from home. I started playing in a touch football league, having never so much as touched a football in my life. So old over forty started playing in a touch football league co ed. I am not. I never played on a team. I was a dancer. I'm very afraid of being out there with men running around and it was dangerous. But I got to play football. I was like, I don't have to play football. They're like, listen, we need a girl on the team. You need to come. I was like, I can run, I can catch. Just tell me where which way to run? So I played that and that same week of that Ted Talk was also my first stand up set I was doing. I had just taken my first stand up comedy show and my set was two days before that Ted Talk. That week, I was like, uh, this is a lot. At ten minutes you're tight five and your Ted Talk ten, I was like, this is a lot. That week was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life changing week.
Speaker 3: And I think that that's important to note here because while we only have midlife listeners, it is it is so such a testament to your life isn't over? Kind of at midlife we talked about all of these hard things hormones, menopause.
Speaker 1: Onions, you know, yeah, like all of this stuff.
Speaker 3: And then it come some of your best your best life now for me, it has in the last few years, no question.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm oh. And after fifty I would say even better. I think, why do these were still hard?
Speaker 4: Why don't you tell us about that you had a major life change at fifty?
Speaker 1: In your fifties, I did talk to us about that. Yeah, I've been single. I listen, I gotta set the table here. I had no interest personally in getting married. It just wasn't a goal for me. I didn't necessarily want kids. I have two younger sisters, they have kids.
Speaker 4: I like, even in your twenties, you didn't want to get married.
Speaker 1: Or I remember I was sitting at like a dinner with my whole family and my two younger sisters and my parents who are divorced, but we were whatever. We were in the room together, and I said, hey, I feel like I have to tell you Skuy's something. And I think I might have been thirty something, and I said, I am not gonna live the life you all led. I know I'm not. I I'm not gonna get married. I mean, you obviously see I don't have any interest in it. I don't want kids. So I'm just saying, like, that's what I'm doing. And my sisters were like okay, and my dad was asleep. We're like, Dad, wake up, do you mind if I do whatever I want? He goes, do whatever makes you happy and he went back to sleep. And then my mom said, honey, don't have kids for me. She was like, you, you have to live your life. She's like, don't do any of that stuff for me, and she said, I think yours is the life I want next. And I thought that was such a tribute. I never I was very lucky to have a family that was so supportive. I still dated, I was still doing like I didn't move to New York City until I was thirty six years old. I was like, I've never like I've been here, but I never lived here. I always wanted to live here, so I didn't move here as a kid, and like party, I was like an adult going to bed at a reasonable time. And then I was like, well, I'm dating, but what am I dating for? Like you guys are such assholes, like god, the douchary that happens here with dating. But I did. I found a few nice guys and I dated one, but every couple of years and it wasn't it. I was like, what am I even doing? People are like, well, why are you dating? And I was like, I don't know, actually, and it was fun. And I was like, but I'm all I can do whatever I'm I can have sex with herver I want, blah blah blah. And I did have fun. I would like give people my phone number. I was like picking up young men. I was forty. I was like close to forty, or I was like going out with like twenty nine year olds and sometimes younger. I mean like I was just having a great time. And then I had a boyfriend who I had the longest relationship with that I'd ever been with. Okay, four years. Four that's it. That's how long. And let me tell you this because I feel like, I know, we have a lot of midlife women. Some of them are not married right, some of them are wondering when's I supposed to do something. I knew by the time I was, you know, forty something. I was like, I kind of like living by myself. I really like having my own space. I enjoy company occasionally. And I started dating this New York City police officer who I met online. I met. There's not a person I met who I didn't meet online pretty much. Oh one apple genius guy. But this different story. So this New York City police officer and I dated right before the pandemic and then through the pandemic. And he didn't live with me. He has kids, he's divorced, he's living you know, Long Island. And he was a total sweetheart, like really really great guy. Someone would be very happy to have him. And I was like, Okay, cool, let's do this, you know, for now whatever, I didn't know. And at the end, like for the first year, I realized I had to have a talk with him. And this was a big talk, and I said to him. He would joke about like well, I need to move in together, and I was like, oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, I need to nip this in the bud. And I said, I'm not gonna say his name, but I said, listen, officer, I know that probably you have in mind a life where you marry the right person for you, because the first person you're with you have these beautiful kids. That woman was not for you. You probably want to have that, and you probably want to live with someone. I said, and that's not going to be me. You live in the suburbs and you work in the city, and you probably want someone who's there, maybe making dinner or at least sitting on the couch with you every night, and that's not going to be me. And then, but I also was a little defensive because I was a terrified always that someone's going to take my life away from me. And I said, I'm never going to live with you, and he's like, but you could, that might change.
Speaker 4: I go.
Speaker 1: Even if it does, that's not a promise I make now. So if we're going to date, you have to know that this is it. We see each other a few times a week, you go home, I have my own life. We're together. I'm not at wasn't dating anyone else. But I need you to understand this. I need you to hear me now, because if it comes up, if you wish I would, and you resent it in the resentment will build. I said, if you find yourself kind of and wanting to bring up or joking about it, and if you were to ever joke about it in front of someone, we're done because I said, this can't be Oh, you know, Terry, He's like, you weird rules. I go, No, I know weird rules. I have life. I have a life life. Yeah. I also turns out I was fucking gay as and I'll say that in case you want to edit it out, I'll say it a different way. I was gay gay gay gay. Did not realize it totally, but finally after the pandemic, and realized I was just tread and water in this thing. I didn't care if I had sex ever again. And I said to myself, this guy is so nice. He's a wonderful to hold, he smells good, he's good to me, he's a wonderful boyfriend. And if he's to me, hey, guess what, I have a medical condition. I can never have sex again. I'd be like, Okay, what do you want for dinner? And I realized I didn't care, but obviously he cared, and so I was doing like I was doing, the like just roll over and get done, and then you've bought forty eight hours.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of women who are straight, by the way, who don't feel like having sex with husbands. But I felt that now, when I'm in a relationship for only four years, it feels lifelong because it's been so long for me, and also what what are we what are we doing right now? So that was not great because I was like, and I kept saying, you should date a lovely woman who lives near you. He's like, why are always telling me to date the people. I was like, I'm telling you you'd be a lot happier, and I hope he is a lot happier. But when I ended it in, it was a not great time, like now we're fighting. Now we're back to the world post COVID, and it was not nice. And I was realizing, like, we're the worst, Matt, like this is not it, and I yelled at him again. I had a real come to Jesus and I was like, you're miserable, you hate your life, Your kids are sweet but difficult, your ex wife is a nightmare. I'm your girlfriend. I'm supposed the best part of your life, and I won't live with you. Said you're unhappy and I can't make you happy, and you're making me unhappy, so I don't think I can do this. And then I one day called him and said I think we're breaking up now. He goes, but but but I go, no, we're done by Like I did not let him talk, and it's something I do regret. But I knew he was going to try to make a case for himself. And I was like, I am so done, and something in me says done done, done, done done, and I cried. I was like, this is it, this is it. I cried more before the breakup than I ever did after the morning before. Yeah, I pre grieved. For people who watch succession, I pre grieved. So then here's the part that you're getting to. I started dating again, like a month later. I bounced back quick. I'm like, whatever, what are we doing here? And I went on a date with A and I was like, eh, I'm like I can't do this anymore. Like he was just gross to me, and he was a perfectly nice guy. I'm like, these are nice guys. Yeah. And so I was like, you know, I had had crushes on women. I'd had some dalliances, nothing serious, but nothing serious. Really, I just had had crushes on lesbians. When I say lesbians, I mean I thought I was so straight. I liked women who looked like men. I was like, that must mean I'm really straight, because that's why I was.
Speaker 2: You never thought like in the past that you were gay.
Speaker 1: I thought I had crushes on people and I didn't understand it, and I said, oh, And I said to my family, I was always like coming out to them like I've never having kids, and I have a crush on this folks singer and they were like, it's a phase. I was like, I don't know, you, guys, I have very strong feelings for this folks singer. And I would go to all of her shows and like I was kind of like into it and I would have heartache over it and I'm like, what's going on? But I never it was listen, this is a while ago. I was never gonna be like, you know what, I think I'm getting a live a gay lifestyle. You know why because I said to myself, no real lesbian, no self respecting lesbian would want to date me. That turns out not to be true. But why Yeah, because you think I'm not real. I'm not a real.
Speaker 3: Because you didn't come out until you were fifty. When do most women come out?
Speaker 1: I mean twenties is when they back in the day, twenties because they don't now it's different. But yeah, yeah, no, no, no, I was like, no, I always loved lesbians I'd be like, she's so cool. I don't know why. I just want to hang with her all the time. And I was obsessed with them. And I was like, but they wouldn't like me, can They'd be like, well, you're straight. I was like, yeah, totally, I'm straight. I wasn't afraid of being gay. I felt I didn't qualify. I had as I've had my whole life imposter syndrome, but now is in the bedroom. I was like, O interesting. I was like, no one would like me, I'm not gay enough. They would they would not invite me into their club. Well, it turns out the queer community is the most welcoming, the most wonderful, imagine, but some women have been bitches about it. I gotta tell you when it comes out that I came out later. Well, first of all, after that horrible date with a guy, I went on a date with a woman. And I had been swiping on women. I go, we're switching. I took my whole online dating profile and was like, we're moving the lever to like women only. And I started looking through and I go, yikes, this is bad too, maybe it all sucks. But then I saw one person and I was like, and I said to her, if I were you, I'd run the other way because I just broke up with my boyfriend and like, I'm probably straight from me. And she was like, no, I'd love to meet you. And so I dated her and once I I won't get graphic, once I got into bed with a woman in a dating way, in a real way, I will tell you that when I tell you, the world moved and I felt that I had just surfaced after having been underwater a long time.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me tell you what's coming up for me. And I'm thinking of all of the women listening to this podcast, and for sure some are going to resonate with this exact story, But there's a bigger theme here of this, women that are in relationships that they probably shouldn't be in for whatever reason, religious beliefs that at some point they're like, what am I doing? This might not be to me right. There's so many things that I think that we don't allow ourselves because well, this isn't who I am, because this is how I've always been number one? Or how many people am I going to let down and disappoint if I choose something else? Did you feel that way, But I feel like telling your story, you had significantly bigger boundaries than I ever had, or that of a lot of women that I know. Did you always have great boundaries because it seems like we were like, no, please, I never.
Speaker 1: Like you did. I'm a liberalizing librist life leaping libra everything. I am a first born Catholic, raised compliant. I only want to please. I don't want anyone mad at me. I was trained, as we all were, conditioned to court men's attention because it has currency in the world. You will get somewhere if a man sees you and has an eye on you. And I knew that, and I could tell that I could get a man's attention, and that that wasn't the reason I got what I needed, but I could tell it had power. So I confuse sexuality with that kind of power. And I know this because my whole life I would go after the one I thought was the cutest. You'll go after the best one and then land them and be so excited and then be like, what do I do with this? What do I do with this guy?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't got the did you get that?
Speaker 1: I was always afraid that they would like me back? As soon as they like me back, I was like, you're a baby. I'm out like that on your life. You're like so much clarity, right all these moments. No, Yes, a podcast I just launched with my sisters and we read our journals from high school and junior high.
Speaker 2: Oh, from the eighties again right now, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's called Generation Artext. Do you guys watched The Never Ending Story? Do you remember that movie?
Speaker 2: I remember? Yeah, it was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember. Do you remember the Horse that drowns and swamps of Sadness? Yes, his name is ur Text. That's actor because it is the most It's called Generation out, the Generation r text a ar ta x. It's generation ar texts with a gen X, you see. And so it's really because that is the most gen x that was a real trauma for people watching movies when we were, you know, in the eighties, and so anyway, that's the name of it. But it was the beginning of that was my sisters and I all kept journals, and so we've been reading like, here's something from nineteen eighty two, here's something from nineteen ninety three, and it is mortifying, and every page I'm like, this guy is giving me the ick. This guy makes me queasy. Uh. I don't know this guy likes me, but he's gross. Like I was clearly like what uh, but what I allowed myself to do it. But to your point, you were just saying, there's a lot of women who are in relationships you shouldn't be. It doesn't mean they're gay. Maybe it means they want to explore. And we're in a world of exploring. So I encourage everyone to try it. I tell you, and I will say this right now, and I will put my money in my mouth. Is if we had one hundred people listening and I said, you're all gonna date women for like six weeks, and you're gonna find your ideal lesbian. You're gonna date them for six weeks, I say, you're lucky if half go back.
Speaker 2: What serious?
Speaker 1: Seriously, I don't think you choose to be gay. But I was probably gay, like I had. This was not my identity. I always even my mother was like, you always had a boyfriend. I don't understand. I was like, it doesn't matter what. You have a boyfriend, and we could get a boyfriend. I'm like, that's not what makes you gay. I was probably always gay, obviously, But I chose a straight life because that's what I was conditioned to do. And I could have kept choosing it, and I could have I could have dumped that boyfriend, got another boyfriend, got another boyfriend, and just lived in a kind of slow, low simmer of boredom and resentment. And instead, I will tell you right effing now, I'm having the best sex of my life. I recommend women to anyone who will listen. And I'm seeing a lot of it. You've seen it, the story about is it embarrassing to have a boyfriend? Now, you know people are not posting their boyfriends on their on their Instagram because they're like, well they always embarrass me, or what if we break up, I don't want him on there. It's sort of like not that people don't love men, because you know, that's how you know sexuality is not a choice, because some people do. But honestly, if you had one hundred women, that is my fantasy is I want to have like a reality dating show where I make everyone date women for six weeks because if you found a woman who is a masculine woman, which is what I love, you're beautiful women. I'm sorry, you're not my type.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: The woman who you had on to talk about the Bunyans though super hot. But my point is so excuse it's cute, yeah, cute, But my point is the fun time you can find masculine women and I see them on TikTok and they're like, hey, you know what, I'll take you out to dinner. I'll also take your shopping. We'll get our nails done, We're going to read together, and we will do our hair. Like, there's so much you get. It's all the things you think are true. It's not easier. Hell no, it's not easier. But the idea that I can finally like hang out with a woman that I'm into and we can also be friends. And I know when I go when i'm dating, I'm not going to get raped and murdered. Probably maybe, probably not.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. So okay.
Speaker 3: Then you said that you had some women were not nice. Are you saying that that was people that you knew or people women in.
Speaker 1: The gay community? Sorry clarification. Everyone in my life was so nice and wonderful and supportive that I joke that I actually wish it had been a bigger deal, Like I call my friend Jen from high school and was like, Jen, I someding to tell you I'm gage goes. Yeah, I saw that on Instagram. Anyone, what else is going on? I think it's great, but like, what else is going on?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: It was not headline news, It was not It was almost like coming. I make a joke that when I came out to my friends it was as if I showed up with bangs. They're like, huh, we weren't expecting that. But as long as you like them, yeah, But the people who are a little bitchy are some lesbians who are gatekeeping. And that is my most watched TikTok was about like, can we talk about lesbian gatekeeping because there's a whole class and caste system that people who have been lifelong lesbians you don't fit them mold look at no, but not just that. I mean I'm fairly fam right, but oh look who just showed up at the party. We suffered our whole lives and we were made fun of and we were you know, I get it, they've been through it. I did not. I was straight straight passing. I'm still straight passing. I'm trying to be like I'm trying to let people know. But the problem is women are competitive. They are jealous like any humans, and some women sort of like I went on a date with a woman and I was like, well, and she goes, when'd you come out? I don't volunteer this information. By the way, find out, You'll never guess that I just came out. I've done the homework. But they'll say like, when did you come out. I'd be like, oh, not that long ago, Well when did twenty work? You know? And they're like oh, and they give you that like, oh, you're new, and I was like, listen. And one woman I went on a date with she had just gotten divorced from a woman she's been with for twenty years, and I just came out she's new to dating. I'm not new to dating. So she was sort of like, well, and she was kind of I don't know what the kids are doing these days. And I was like, first of all, you know, and second of all, she goes, you're kind of new, and I go, I'm not new to dating. As far as I'm concerned. We're in the same boat. Because she didn't know how to date and I already knew it had been dating up a storm, so that kind of that's not common though most women, most lesbians that I've met, are like, oh my god, yes, please, thank you, this is wonderful. So I felt nothing but welcome, but just you know, also from women I broke up with who were like, well, whatever, you're new, Like you know.
Speaker 4: What about if you had struggled with it your whole life, Like would they have a different narrative or take or take on you?
Speaker 1: Maybe I could lie, I'd be like, yeah, it was really hard, but come on, no, yeah, I think that. First of all, I think there's a lot of mental illness everywhere, and also a lot of mental illness in a queer community because there's been such abuse and abandonment and a lot of these women have been through it, and I've had experiences people I was like, wow, this is wild. But even though it's wild, still better than dating men as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: Okay, well if we move on's your second Ted Talk? Yes, it's about time we rethink happily ever after? I mean.
Speaker 2: This it's right in and where do.
Speaker 1: We go with this? That Ted Talk I'm convinced didn't do as well because the title wasn't good They titled it something that had to do with their event, which no one remembers, and it is really about that the seed of that talk. And by the way, how I got that second talk with someone saw the first talk and they said, hey, we're doing a text event. Would you come to a talk here. I was like, well, when I do play the hits, I already did that talk. They're like, no, write a new one. I was like, oh my god, everyoney giving me homework, okay, And so I thought about what opinion bugged me and what bothers me. Always since I've been single, my whole life is when people go oh yeah, I'm still single, or oh you're single again, or oh yeah, it never works out. The assumption that because oh boy, there's a cat, get down.
Speaker 3: Oh the cat's been there the whole time. We're like, we're vibing with the cat, yeah the whole time.
Speaker 1: Listen, I have male cats. They try to steal, they're trying to take space. That talk is basically the point is there's nothing wrong with you because you're single. That again, is a kind of patriarchal vibe. It's your damaged goods. No one wants you, and you should be afraid so that you're grateful when someone does. That's all set up to make you, oh god, I need someone, I need someone, or I'm not worth anything. And the guy said to me that that talk starts with the guy saying, oh, you're single, and you seem smart and you seem well, yeah, what's wrong with you? What's wrong with you? He said? And I said, there's literally nothing wrong with me. How old? What's wrong with you? I was forties, it was early forties. They're like, why are you married? Why? Because I don't want to be? Even my boyfriend time said, you know, it's hard for me to believe. I can't wrap my brain around why you're single. I said, do you think I'm a catch? Do you think I'm like a catch? And he goes yes. I said, so, why would you think I'd be so willing to go with anyone? Why wouldn't you assume I was really picky as I am.
Speaker 2: It is a strange belief.
Speaker 1: It is that think about it for a second. Really, I wanted to change your thinking about this, especially people listening who feel bad or embarrassed or defensive about their singleness. You are born single. You are single until you choose to live with or spend time with someone. And our culture is tructured around the belief that having a married couple is the basis for everything and must be. That's just this culture, it's not all cultures. But what happens if you're not in a relationship or you had one before? Oh what happened to that guy you had here Thanksgiving last year? It didn't work out? Why? Well, he was a douche. Couldn't you make it work? Well? No, I don't want to make it work like this idea that you should be long suffering and stay. And my takeaway from that, or my response to that, is the only difference between someone who's single and someone who's not defined a single is if you die while you're still in your relationship. If you do not survive your relationship, I guess you were happily married. I don't know. All I know is you died while you were in it. That's the only difference here, because if I die single, Oh, she died single? She had wherefore it didn't work out? What? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are you less than if you're single?
Speaker 1: Right, I'm about to survive everything. I've survived bad friendship, I've survived jobs, I've survived men, which is no small thing, and I have survived relationships. My hope is that you do survive. And by the way, this is not I do not going to get out of Joe free card with lesbians because they also are like, well, isn't this forever? Isn't this We're gonna be like the right end, like to you forever? And I was like, I mean, I don't know, but I don't treat people casually. I'm not like, well, no, you're casual. That's rude. So I never say that. I go, no, we're in this and we're going to experience it. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. And one girlfriend said, I just worry that, like, if we break up, you're just gonna be You'll be just fine, And I said, and I hope you'll be fine. I'm fifty years old. I lived my whole life without you. Why now would it be that I can't live without you, that something's wrong with me? Then?
Speaker 2: Can you ever have just talk in Utah?
Speaker 3: Because when you're not twenty won and married, you're an old maid that no one wants.
Speaker 1: No. And I see so many women on TikTok are like eighty niney. They're like, girls don't get married her. If you do, be happy when it ends, because your life starts. But that's something that you guys talk about a lot, like midlife is when some changes happen. And yes, some relationship is peter out and it's a painful end. And I don't take that lightly either. But this idea that I'm over and I'm done because no man wants me, really, ask yourself, that is that of reality. It's not, it's not. But until we see it that way, we're gonna think, well, I don't know who would want me, who would want you? Go on the apps? You could have a date every night if you want it. Yeah, but you're gonna have to lower some standards. But like you know, you could do it if you want it. Like the ability to catch and keep is like, listen, I'm in the catch and release program. If it's not working, it's still bad. I like it.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting concept that it's opening up the conversation than the traditional I love it. I love And that's kind of what went into your ted talk.
Speaker 2: That's what it was about me.
Speaker 1: That's what that was about. It was sort of like, can we just think about this as surviving and learning something. First of all, I don't regret any of the relationships I had. Every relationship I learned something. I learned a shortcoming of mind. I learned to address it. I learned about what I like and what I don't like. And you learn each time. No shade on people who are with their high school partner. Fine that you are rarety Fine, you're in a different category there. But if you date and date and date, you're not a whore. You are learning. Who you are dating is to learn about yourself as much as anyone else. And because I'm in gay I've been out for almost two years, I dated so much and make a headspin because I need to know who am I in this world? What am I like? What do I like? And what is it like like? And I go in with total respect, authenticity, clarity. I don't want there to be any confusion, and I am really clear about those boundaries. I think there is nothing more important for a woman as she gets older as to shore up those boundaries. And then everything else you can make, you can allow for, you can accommodate, but your default cannot be accommodation. The deeds on my whole life. Well I know, I know, but most women has been that's okay. You serve, not just me new but women have served. They've put all their talent and energy into serving other people, which was their choice, a wonderful choice. You raised humans, We're going to go off into the world. You had a wonderful relationship and then it ended for whatever reason, like now what now? Because you talked about you were asking, like, let's talk about like rest and what it means to I don't like because sounds like rest in peace, Like we're not there yet. You now have all of this energy, give all of this energy that you've just now freed up. Because your kids are older, they do not need you every second. You're maybe who can knows what's going on with your job, your partner, or maybe you don't have a partner. What are you gonna do with all that energy? You're certainly not gonna just sit home and use a callous remover tool, though I have one and is such a pleasure to use. But I'm telling you, every night you can't be home doing your feed and taking care of us. That's fine. Self care should have a box that is protected, and that's one part of it. But the rest of it is where will you go with that energy? And why would you stop using it? This is reason why the world hates middle aged women. It's because that's when they don't give shit. They are now ready to not care. And so what do they do? Vilify? Oh, you're over the hill. No one listens to you every midlife and we'll say the krone age when I say that in a positive way, is wiser older woman. They know shit, and they know your shit, and they are not taking your shit, and they are terrifying. Men are very afraid of them, and that is why they hate them. That's why why do you think, well, I don't know. Our administration does not love cat ladies because these women are gonna make their own decisions and in a matter of five minutes they're about to inherit and have a lot of the money in this country. What are we gonna do with all of that energy and all of that money. You sure as shit are not gonna just sit home and binge TV shows. You're gonna meet people, you're gonna date, You're gonna have the best sex of your life. You're gonna have better sex even Okay, you don't look like you do when you were You don't look like did nineteen ninety two. Who cares guests doesn't care the person you're in bed with. I can vouch for this. They do not give a shit. They want you, they love you, and to feel desired in that way. I'm telling you it's the best. Life is good after forty, the best after fifty.
Speaker 4: What advice would you give to anyone listening who is feeling inspired by what you're saying, but has been afraid of disrupting the story that they've built. How do they tap into the power and find what's true for them and make that change.
Speaker 1: Be around women who do. If your friends like to sit around and complain and say they can't do stuff and say this is hard now and my back aches and I can't because this, and I can't guess that you need new friends, and you do and you can meet new people. Do not hang around with people who make you kind of hate yourself a little bit or feel stuck. You know who you spend time with. I mean, That's why I've devoted my whole Like I was a consultant for years, but now my whole life is building this community of people. We are taking our stories and our memories to the page. I'm a writer, and I don't teach people to write. I free people's stories up. And you know who's in those classrooms. You know who's on those zoom calls women because they're like, guess what, bitches, I got something to say, and I'm tired of being quiet. So here's what I say to people. Are like, but I can't guse this. You can keep doing what you're doing. No one said you had to change your life, not one person, not me, not you guys. You can keep doing what you're doing. How mad are you going to be if you know you're like, well, it's too late, all right, but you're not dead yet. How mad are you going to be? If you just continue to serve and accommodate and put everyone else first. You'll do that till you die. Like they say, when you die, you'll have things on your to do list you didn't get to. I am not interested in having things I didn't get to do because of that. So you have to ask yourself who am I spending time with? Have I written down how I feel? I'm journaling more than I ever have in many, many years because I know when I write, I think it makes me think in a new way. And I would say, write keep a journal, you know't to tell you one about it, Challenge the ideas you have. Write down here's what I think my limit is. I'm not I can't do this because someone will be mad. Someone will be mad at me. You're listen. I'm afraid when people are mad at me too. But at some point I go, I'm sorry, you're not going to live my life. I have to. So I'm gonna live with the boundaries I've said. And I have friends who's had very clear boundaries with me. I have friends I do business with and they'll be like, well, this is our deal and this is like respect it. If you don't keep boundaries, who's gonna trust you? You don't have any boundaries. I get real nervous from people of boundaries. They're in Lucy Goosey make me nervous. Yeah, yeah, you know it's true.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be angry and belligerent, but you can kind of speak up and decide what you want. And if you don't feel like having sex but you don't want to break up with your partner, then you say you know what I'm not feeling it like I open up your relationship, Like the rules you work raised with, especially us because we are gen X, are we not? Yes? Now the rules we were raised with, I hate to tell you, is a lie and it is not something you have to live by anymore. And you don't get points for clinging to things you did right before. No one's giving out trophies for who was a good girl? Not anymore. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: That was the mic drop. There's always my job. That was it my advice that whole Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's interesting reinventing yourself. I feel like, and this is totally off topic, so I'm going to bring it back.
Speaker 2: But I have a well I have a few children, but a nineteen year old.
Speaker 3: Son that is kind of I'm telling him some of these same things because he's kind of got in this warped world of just virtual reality and not meeting people, are not dating and not getting out, and the kids just don't talk to each other anymore, and the college experience, I'm like, you should be meeting people.
Speaker 1: Well, we're in an analog world still, Like, as far as I know, we're not living in a virtual world. We're we're living in the real world, and that's going to be really hard that generation. Yeah, I don't know what's going to happen. I feel like we know Gen X is the toughest. We grew up analog means we can do literally anything like who grew up analog? We learned digital. We can speak your language, but we worked in ways you didn't, So we're sort of unstoppable in that way. But I do worry for young people because I don't understand. I don't know what they'll do, how will they do it, how will they be social?
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: It's just a different it's a different world. I just read something somewhere that was talking about I mean, and it was let's be honest, it was like a TikToker, a real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, but out of my news.
Speaker 3: It was saying how we were actually the best parents of all of the generations. And it went through and said why and the millennials were like under us, and then our parents were under them. But it was really interesting to put it out because, I mean, I just finished watching Stranger Things and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, but the eighties were where was that?
Speaker 3: Nobody paid attention to us, Nobody called us, we were back at night time and our parents didn't give a crop where we were or what we were doing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was freedom and like, but look at the kids. Probably your son watched Stranger Things, right, they all do. Excuse me, Romeo, these kids are watching that going I mean the music. I want to weep when they're playing prints and there. But this is almost how will how the generations will like, how we'll make our peace with the news generation because they know that that was so cool, you know, and so yeah, watching that is very And also I felt the same way about Yellow Jackets. That was also nineties the music, and I was like, this is so awesome. Watch that too, you guys. Absolutely it is our people. It's actresses we grew up with who are now grown ups, and it was fantastic. But yeah, I mean I hate to be like I worry about the children because they said the same thing about us. Actually, no, they didn't. They didn't wry about us. They had to say, at o'clock, do you know where your child is? Because maybe we haven't thought about them all day.
Speaker 2: They'll be home, they'll show up.
Speaker 3: I'll show up, well, Terry, I have to say this. We have all these questions we never get to any of them. But the heart of what I wanted this episode to be has has arrived.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, good was there something I missed? I feel bad now I took care.
Speaker 2: Oh no, because this is what I really want.
Speaker 3: I think that this struggle of identity, and I mean for you, your story. You know, Laura has a different story of having a baby, you know a couple of years ago, a totally different story. I have a different story of in my forties. Like I didn't even start strength training until I was forty one.
Speaker 5: And then I can't believe that this business and all of these things that I didn't think was possible in my path when I was in my twenties and thirties because I was a stay at home mom.
Speaker 3: That's my identity. That's what I was, that's what I did. And so this reinvention is really you have three people on this call right now that have re invented in a different way than what the norm would tell you.
Speaker 1: I would say, I mean, there is no norm, because you might have seemed norm because you're like, I'm a stay at home on, but your life changed. My mom always says, and she does something I'll never forget. She's like, you know, people like life is short. Life be sure, my mom goes life is long. Make good decisions, you know what I mean, Like it's you're gonna have to live with that. Now you'll also live through it. Like, yes, you had little kids when you were you were a baby, yourself so young, and now those kids are growing up, like you have a whole other life, Right, what are you gonna do? I mean, my sister just sent her first to college, her second one is going to college. She was a little panicky, like, what am I gonna do? She's so young, right, she has so much energy. She is now producing our podcast. She learned how to use or like the riverside app and edit and she's like, I love this. She has a whole new career as essentially a producer. She's like, oh, I like to zoom it on this. She's a whole new skill set. And she says, thank god we did this now, because I don't know what I would have done. So the answer is everyone should have a podcast. Just kidding. I think the answer is that everyone should make something, do something, write something. I mean, there's a reason why we're called to, Like I just want to make something well, and then they'll say, talk to any women are Oh, but I mean I was an accountant for years. It's not like I wasn't trained dough this. We were trained for different things, for a different world. We were trained for a different world that doesn't exist anymore. So guess what You're gonna have to invent who you are now? And that scariness that we feel like people, well, I don't know. I just want to go back to what I know. You know, it's not scary because it's dangerous. It's because freedom is so foreign to you you don't recognize it, and so you're defaulting to fear. But it's not scary, it's exciting. But the fact that so many women are afraid of that, well what do I do? It's like, this is what we've been waiting for. This is it? Freedom feels scary because you're so not used to it. Yes, it's used to Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I like the reinventing of the skills because I have to say, on my staff alone, I have one person that's kind of the I don't know, chief operating office or whatever you would call them, who has been in corporate America for twenty years and then I've hired a bunch of other women my age that are wicked, smart women, but they you know, they raised kids, and so we're sitting here.
Speaker 2: Half the time on these calls. This one person who's like, well, you know.
Speaker 3: You guys get this, and we're like, we stayed at home for twenty years.
Speaker 2: We didn't, we don't know this. But all of these women can learn.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't have picked anyone different because the skill set, as you said, with your sister, who cares.
Speaker 2: What you went to school with and you haven't worked in X amount.
Speaker 3: Of years, or you don't know that yours like it can just you can figure it out.
Speaker 2: We're all smart women that can figure the self esteem.
Speaker 1: And this is I'm going to speak to our generation because the younger are not old enough to complain about this yet much. But I cannot stand. I have an allergic reaction to when any woman around me, around our age says they can't do tech. I want to scream. I want to grab them by the ears and shape them, because I say everything's tech. You use a phone, you use a microwave is tech, Books are tech. All tech is is a tool with which to do something else. This idea, the one I'm not good at that we have counted ourselves out. I didn't neither to my mom. She's online. She knows how to order stuff ships, so she could do everything. This idea that I can't I can't. Oh, but you know women are age. No, don't start with that, do not. And this idea that you can't learn tech is crazy because this tech today especially you don't have to be an engineer. It's me so that a monkey could do it, so like you can do it, But that's not what it is. It's that it's not like, well, I can't, this is too hard. I can't. No, you're so in your face with your critic. You're just like, I can't because I'm not a person who does this. They've overidentified with someone who can't do things, who doesn't know things, when in fact, if I said I'll give you a million dollars and won't murder your family if you learn to use Instagram, guess who's going to learn how to use Instagram. So like, don't tell me you can't do it. You can. It's the block about the idea of what you can't do, and that's what's going to hold women our age back. That's when we pull away from the shore and the people who say, well but I can't, they stay on the shore and they're done. It's like people don't use AI. I'm likebye, I hope you had fun because you're done now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's true, it's great. It's the reinventing.
Speaker 3: And I see this like in the weight loss world of you know, people will come into my programs and I'm like, there's nothing special here.
Speaker 2: There's nothing. There's no magic pill or solution, Like, hey, they're.
Speaker 1: Wanting your arms. They just want your arms. They want you to tell them what to do to get the arms. The arms arms.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's just like every day I see women reinvent themselves. But you're right, you have to change. I had to do it myself. I was just like, I can't start a Who's gonna listen to me on Instagram? I don't know how to do any of this or you know, you starting off with a ted talk. Well, I don't know, but I'm gonna figure it out.
Speaker 1: You'll figure it out, of course, you figure it out. I think we undermine our own abilities. Something that my niece says that well, that people say now they'll be like, how are going to be boys? Do it? I like, which is amazing. So whenever someone says, well there's not enough money or we can't earn it off and there's not enough, there's plenty of money, and some douchebag out there who's doing very little is taking home your share. So what are you gonna do about it? Do you speak? Are you?
Speaker 3: Do you have any speaking engagements coming out? Because I feel like I need to meet you on person.
Speaker 2: I know you're going to be talking.
Speaker 1: You know, anyone who needs a speaker because my bookings are down. I haven't really tried, I haven't really pitched, and I would love to do more speaking, So anyone. Uh, But no, I don't have anything currently scheduled. I just have the Uh. I just had the podcast. It goes live every week. That's it. I also run live workshops, and I do. I do lecture them because the room is all women our age basically with a few very advanced involved men. And I run live workshops every week where people come and write, and I'm forever telling them you are creative. I don't care that you majored in finance, Nancy, You're still creative. So I am forever coaxing people out of that shell. So when I speak, I'm speaking to my community and that's easy enough to check out. But yeah, if you hear of like any major events, please tell me. I would love to throw my head in the ring.
Speaker 3: And you in New York?
Speaker 1: Yes, do you hear the ambulance? Oh? Sorry, I don't even like where are you?
Speaker 2: I marry you in New York.
Speaker 1: I'm an upper on the Upper West Side. I'm near Lincoln Center. Okay.
Speaker 2: We had an apartment in Murray Hill like your years, Well, my husband did. I I would visit.
Speaker 3: We were kind of living in two places while he was working out in the city before we moved out. But such a fantastic there's nowhere like New York City.
Speaker 1: There's not you walk down the street in New York and you're on your own music video. It's you're listening to whatever, you're wearing whatever, like it's just I love it. And it was like, it's not what it used to be. I'm like, I don't care. It's still New York. It's still amazing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely So Terry in closing here, where can women find you? And can you just mention again about your writing group.
Speaker 1: Because oh it's a big book. Oh the book is called Unfollow Your Passion. You can find where ever books are sold. Hopefully it came on so I hope it's still there.
Speaker 2: It's very good.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It came maturing the pandemic, so it did not get the you know, the attention that it might have. But that's all right. You can find me anywhere. I'm everywhere. No one has my name, literally no one, So Terry Trispichi, you can find me on the on the gram, you can find me on TikTok, blah blah blah. But if you want to actually hang out and spend time, I'm always on and talking to this group and in my you know, my little community. It's the group I've run. It's called the New Rules Studio. We call it the Studio, and it is essentially a live, real time, virtual critic free writing room, not just for writers. So joining, I know you want to write? Do you guys want to write? Yes?
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to share a yes I do.
Speaker 1: I Do you like the idea of sitting and writing your story?
Speaker 3: Well, I would say I'm too busy right now, but it's definitely on the docket.
Speaker 2: In like the next.
Speaker 1: Decade, decade. I like thinking in decades. I think it's really important. Well, let me, I'll tell you. I'll tell you and everyone else you're better than you think, because I can't tell I'm pample, I'm really a bad writer. I'm not good. No, it's just that you trained according to grammar and you were afraid of doing it wrong. You there is I say, there's no such thing as writer's block. There's just the desire to write and the desire to be right. And if you're going to write and be creative, you have to be willing to be wrong and to mess it up. But we are a very specific approach to writing. It's called the Gateless method. I did not invent it. There's no criticism, there's no judgment. No one's going to tell you how to do your thing. We're only going to listen to your work and tell you what we loved about it. And I, having being a seasoned and certified facilitator in this method, will point out the craft points of what this speaker did. Haley, Well, you can see what she did here is she did this, and then she starts with this introduction, and you'll be like I didn't know I did that. So I'm forever showing people their work and showing them how strong it is so that they can share it however they want to. But you can, you know, come try. And what I'm doing is getting a special body Pod link that you can put in the show notes so that we'll know how many of your friends come. I love to know.
Speaker 3: I love it well, Terry, thank you so much for spending your afternoon with us. This was such an enlightening and and as as I mentioned at the first, different podcast than any other guests that we've had, so thank you for being Thank.
Speaker 1: You, Thank you so fun.
Speaker 2: You are so fun to have you.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys are so sweet. I would like to meet you in person.
Speaker 4: Well I'm on East Coaster now, so when I come to New York, I am meeting up with you.
Speaker 1: Please please do. This is real fun. Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks for listening everyone.
Speaker 4: If you enjoyed this episode, please consider giving us a five star rating and sharing the body Pod with your friends