Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky and five oh five here at Kentucky and it's morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty w h A, Scott Fitzgerald alongside John Alden's here and of course John Shannon, and we will have a news update for you guys coming up in twenty five, roughly twenty four minutes. And once again Fellas, it's it's gonna be hot. We'll be closer to one hundred degrees today, more so than we will be closer to ninety degrees. I think the day's high as ninety six. And is this ever gonna stop?
Speaker 2: This almost to be the peak? Right, How's it gonna like? Take her down? Didn't they extend the heat advisory?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, today? And I think after this it does that.
Speaker 3: But I was looking long term, trying to get a feel for the fourth The heat's gonna creep back, but not as hot as this is. I mean, it's gonna be hot, but not as it's like.
Speaker 1: The humidity feels as if we've just been waiting for a big rainfall for days now, meaning and I guess we did get some random scattered pop up showers, I believe on Monday, But you know, whenever you feel like the rain, when the rain's building, it just seems as if the humidity starts to just thicken and then like right before it rains, it cools off a little bit. Like we feel like we've been in that window of time for the last few days. And I'm not asking for rain, but I'm also not asking for this. Yeah, if the swamp ass season is right on schedule.
Speaker 2: It is. I saw a TikTok video. It was hilarious. Apparently he said like an alligator.
Speaker 3: And a chicken, or having an argument as to whether or not my ass is truly swamp today, it is oppressive, nick, you walk outside.
Speaker 2: I felt it yesterday.
Speaker 3: I felt it yesterday more than I did the days before, I think, And I did notice, and that's how I kind of gauge it.
Speaker 2: When I come down on sixty four, I mentioned it.
Speaker 3: The temperature briefly dips in between Cockranhill Tunnels and downtown, and I did notice. It came down about seventy eight in my car. It had been hovered around eighty one eighty two. So maybe that cooler night weather is on the way. But these ac folks, boy, HVAC people, I've seen them all over my neighborhood.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised at all, because you're putting your unit through a lot right as soon as summer gets rolling. And I'm sure the air conditioning in most homes has been on for for a while now, but it's running, probably more so in the last five days than it has since the previous year. And you'll find out what it's made.
Speaker 2: Of, and you will.
Speaker 3: I was talking with the HVAC guy yesterday and one of the things, one of our comendations he gave me was by the cheap air filter, don't spend the twenty and twenty by the cheap one.
Speaker 2: Replace it often.
Speaker 1: Replace it more often with the cheaper Yeah, I mean that makes sense.
Speaker 3: But Biani also said, get the maintenance done on your AC unit and make sure that that's done.
Speaker 1: It's like your vehicle. I mean, if you're not getting your oil changed and you're not you know, you're not taking care of it and you're not being mindful about little things. I'm sure that that could definitely have a factor in the the how long those things can last. So again, stay prepared, everybody. It's gonna be hot once again, and it doesn't look like we're going to get a real relief for at least a few days. But uh yeah, I think same with you. I was yesterday feeling it more than I had, and I don't think actually yesterday was much different. In fact, I think Tuesday was probably worse than yesterday. But regardless, I was just outside a little bit more, and that just takes its toll on you, just being in the sun. And it wouldn't as if I was outside for a long time, but more so yesterday than I had been in a while. And I think that is a factor that you know, maybe I didn't realize. It's not just about you know, getting some hydration when needed and obviously cooling off here and there if you can when you're outdoors for a while, But then the sun will take a lot out of you. And if you just I mean, it's gross to say, but if you're sweating a lot, that's that's it's gonna lead to dehydration, and of course that's a factor, and fatigue.
Speaker 2: Well, and you get shorter with people in traffic.
Speaker 3: I was telling you off the air yesterday, every car I've owned, the ace's gone out, and I'm just not spending the night to get it fixed.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure you're sitting at that light and the light.
Speaker 3: Feels like it's longer, it's hot, it just in the air is not blowing.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. I'm curious, Scott when you say you're just not paying the money to get it fixed. I know that it's a lot of money, but are you or are you? Are you someone that kind of likes that challenge to yourself? Meaning how long can I go without biting the bullet, just because a lot of people like try to challenge themselves to see how, you know, I know people who have different checking accounts, one that basically is a savings but they operate on the other one that has almost nearly no money in it at times, and it's just to see kind of how just to challenge themselves because if you, I mean, look, ac is something I think we all at times have probably taken for granted. But when I see folks that are out and about in their vehicle the last few days with the type of heat that we've had and they've got the windows down, I mean, I just assume that it's because their air conditioning doesn't work, Like if they're choosing windows, I mean, I feel for you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's one of those things where it helps got out. No, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I just there's things i'd rather to your point, I'd rather look at my bank statement and see that two three hundred dollars in the bank, then be cool.
Speaker 2: For a quick Yeah, you know what I mean. So and more since the weight loss a more tolerable of the heat.
Speaker 3: Now you asked me, since about five years ago, I'm like, ah, I'm getting the AC fixed.
Speaker 2: I can't do this.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll share this story later through the morning because I have and this isn't going to be a poor me situation, trust me, because I would never try to insinuate that I'm that I'm having it to rough it out more so than others. But I did have a vehicle that I'm I would make the cases was the worst vehicle you could have if your air conditioning didn't work. And I'll explain why. Oh good, coming up a little bit later on. We got sports coming your way in about fifteen minutes. In an NBA draft night last night. A lot to take from that. I love what comes with the draft that has nothing to do with the actual selections. It's what happens throughout the process of players getting selected. We certainly got a lot of that last night. But next what I want to take a look at is the latest in the Crystal Rogers case. Day two of the trial yesterday. I believe we now have some new information as far as those keeping up with this when it comes to what the prosecution is putting together for their case. So we'll get to that in a lot more. It's a Thursday, Kentucky and is Morning News on news Radio eight forty WHAS five seventeen here Kentucky, and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at WHAS dot com. Also listen live on the iHeartRadio app. So I don't know if it would be fair to say there was a lot of courtroom drama yesterday, but I could just since I could feel the the interest and just the amount of people that are that are keeping up with this as best they can. And that is the Crystal Rogers case. Because day two of the trial unfolded yesterday in Bowling Green, Warren County. Day one was really just the Jerry selection process, it seems, but there was a it was. It was a lengthy day and I could be wrong here, and I've tried my best to keep up with this just one because I want to. I'm going to enjoy discussing it as it plays out here, but also just because I'm interested. This is something that I know that I'm one of probably countless people that have just been fascinated by this ten year old case where this woman disappeared in July of twenty fifteen and her then boyfriend, Brooks Hawk has been believed to be the prime suspect and he's the one facing the murder charge. But there's no body. They never found a body. So her car was abandoned on July fifth, twenty fifteen, and that was on the Bluegrass Parkway. Again, they never found a body. This is a no body homicide case. So her former boyfriend and the father of one of her kids is charged with murdering and tampering with physical evidence. And then there's a father's son duo, and the father has already stood trial and he was convicted of conspiracy and tampering. And then Joseph Lawson is his son. He's a former employee of HAWC And again this could be information that other people already have. But when it comes to the prosecution as far as what they're you know, what they're you know, alleging here, it seems as if there's more, so I guess belief that the mother, Rosemary Hawk, was a factor here. So they brought up the fact that, let's see, yea, the lead prosecutor is a special prosecutor named Shane Young, and the state alleges that a conspiracy involving Halck, the Lawsons, and others including Hawk's mother Rosemary, and then of course the brother Nick Hawk, which again, when I throw all these details out there, it sounds like I'm all over the place, and I'm just of the assumption, which is probably not the right assumption to make, that a lot of people are fully aware of this entire situation. But Brooks Hawk, the boyfriend who a lot of people think is responsible for this in some former fashion, his brother Nick was a law enforcement officer at the time all this happened. Now he's not a law enforcement officer. But both Nick Hawke and Rosemary Hawk are unindicted co conspirators, meaning they've yet to be they've yet to face charges, but clearly they're still being investigated in charges could potentially come. But it sounds as if the you know, it was a it was a big old group of folks that were in some in some way allegedly involved in this, in this entire thing. And and again what what what I felt like was new information, at least for me, it was, was the prosecution mentioning that that the mother, Rosemary Howck allegedly was was more so uh a factor in this because she felt as if Crystal Rodgers was beneath the Hawk family in whatever whatever that means. So also there is there's a witness that is that is going to be testifying at some point who was allegedly and I'm sure this will be something that gets talked about whenever this witness takes the stand that although not being accused of actually taking out the act, he was somebody that allegedly again was I guess vetted to potentially be a hit man or take take her out in some form or fashion. So, uh, we'll see how this thing plays out over these next few days. But man, you I get a sense it there's a lot of attention nationally on this case, in this big story that's now a decade in here in Kentucky. All right, we've got trafficking weather coming your way in just a few minutes, actually we have. We have that right now, and then sports coming up in just a few minutes right here our news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It's five thirty five here Kentucky and it's morning news. Nick Coffee, that's me. Thanks for hanging out with us. I'm not alone. I've got John all On alongside, and Scott Fitzgerald'll be back in the saddle with us in about about twenty minutes with another update on sports. John, you and I are alike in a lot of ways, and I think I'm correct in saying one of those reasons that we're like is that we follow the law. We don't break the law. We do.
Speaker 2: We are rule followers.
Speaker 1: You've never been arrested, right, never been arrested. Same here, I would hope neither one. I've not been arrested. You've not been arrested, and I want to keep it that way. So I want what I want to do is discuss these new Kentucky laws that are going to be in effect starting tomorrow. So you may have and I don't know if this is going to lead to some lifestyle changes for you as far as you know, making sure you're not breaking the law. But let's let's just let everybody know, just to be safe. So what we have is the transgender bathroom bill that was set at Bill one. Schools must ensure students use restrooms and locker rooms matching their biological sex, not gender identity. Violations could cost schools up to five thousand dollars per incident, with private lawsuits allowed to enforce compliance. So schools not in not going on for I don't think anybody at this point, you know, maybe summer school. I guess that could technically still apply. So I would imagine that school systems across the state have been well aware of this and are doing whatever they need to do to make sure they can ply and follow the law and avoid a five thousand dollars violation. That you know, that's a lot of money. I don't think you and I are going to be having any worries there. We don't work in the school system, so we're good. This is uh the this is House House Bill five, It's Safer Kentucky Act, and this is where it pays for us to be non criminals, because this is a public safety law targeting crime in certain areas and introduces a three strike rule. A third time violent offender will face life without parole. So you know, that's good to know. But we've got three strikes to give, right, I don't think I've got no violent offensives. All my records must know exactly. Good stuff. So and then there's another one. This is a house built in This aims to improve mental health by expanding mental health support for new mothers. So what this does is it creates a statewide maternal health hotline and allows pregnant women to enroll in community based mental health programs. So this, of course is an attempt to address Kentucky's high maternal mortality rates, particularly in rural areas here in the states. So I don't think that's on our radar. But again, at least now we know. The better we know the laws and whatnot, the better we yeah, taking notes. That's a good student at five point thirty eight in the morning. Good stuff. And then also this this really, this is this isn't about us, you know, following any law when it comes to being criminal. But this is uh house built six hundred This allows Kentuckians to buy alcohol from distilleries, wineries and retailers and have it shipped directly to their homes. This, of course is a tip of the tip of the cap for the bourbon industry here in the state. And you got to keep in mind if you can now again, I think, I guess you have to be a Kentuckian or maybe you could do it elsewhere in other states. I doubt that's the case, but regardless, this will be a big added revenue stream I would imagine. I mean, I can't prove it. Maybe I'm way off here because obviously it's not a common thing for people to order bourbon from a distillery and have it sent to you. You know why, it's not common because you didn't used to be able to do it. Well, now that you can and it's legal, I bet there are many people that will that will take advantage of that. So there you have it, just so everybody is aware that's what will take effect tomorrow, all right. I don't forget. Roy O'Neil's going to join us coming up here in about in about five minutes or so. And what I want to discuss with Rory is what we have here with the the meeting that is coming up with President Trump and Iran. So I guess now that the latest ceasefire does seem to be in full effect. Well, I guess the next step here is is the the meeting. Yeah, it's next week. I thought I thought it said next week, but yeah, I just wanted to make sure here from this report. So Trump wrapped up the NATO summit, and we'll have I had a press conference yesterday and he said the United States is expected to meet with Iran next week. And what comes. I mean, there's really nothing that's off the table here, folks. I mean Trump going into a meeting with somebody could could go in a lot of directions, right, like maybe we have a full blown war with Iran. I don't know. I mean, I don't think that's going to happen. I doubt that happens. But again, there's a there's an added element here to to this, to this, this tenure in office for Trump to where really nothing would shock me. And it's kind of been a theme here in America for a while.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: All right, trafficking weather updates are coming your way right now. And then roy on Eali of NBC new's going to stop by, so don't go anywhere. Stick with us right here on news radio eight to forty Whas five forty five Here Kentucky and it's Morning News on news radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee with you, and I've got Rory on Eale of NBC News joining me here this morning. Good morning, Rory, with the latest on the ceasefire finally taking full effect seemingly. What can you tell us about how Americans feel about the military strikes it took place over the weekend, and the country's current relationship with Israel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's interesting the ceasefire is still holding so quiet overnight, so that's been a good thing. A new Quinnipiac poll, though, just taken since the US launched those strikes into Iran, shows forty two percent of American voters support the US joining Israel in those military strikes, but fifty one percent oppose it. Half of voters think that the US military strikes actually make America less safe, forty two think they would make Americans safer, and it does bring up these concerns. About eight and ten Americans are concerned that the US now gets dragged into a broader war with Israel against Iran.
Speaker 1: So yesterday we found out that President Trump in the United States are expected to meet with Iran. What I think really as far as how that meeting goes and what comes of it, who knows. I don't think anything's really off the table. And I don't say that jokingly. You just really never know. But what is this come? I mean, is this conversation I guess to just I guess, take another step in the well, I guess again. We're probably trying. I'm asking you to predict the future here, but I would hope that this is just another step in another I guess, another step towards peace.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, but as I say, don't bother forming the question, because Iran just came out a short time ago to say, what meeting? We're not having a meeting with.
Speaker 1: You to know again? Right?
Speaker 4: And that's all the back and forth, like we on the day of the ceasefire, Iran was last to confirm that a ceasefire was agreed to. So you know, Iran is so turned upside down right now. The military leadership has been decapitated. It's difficult to get a straight answer, and not everyone may be on the same page. So as it stands right now, Iran is saying, what meeting? But you know, President Trump has also said, why do we need a meeting? Iran lost They've got no nukes. According to the President, they've got no nuclear program, they don't have many arms left, their missile supply has been depleted, and that they are a country defeated. So he doesn't think there's really much to talk yet.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem as if a meeting is even necessary, which I guess it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: But we still have to because you know, Iran still has a few tricks up at sleeve. They still got some a good deal of ballistic missiles that've got very good technology in terms of if they wanted to launch some sort of a cyber attack, and of course they've got proxy groups. Yes they've been minimized, but they're not zero, you know, and they could still try to pull something.
Speaker 1: Rory and Neal of NBC News is our guest joining us here on news radio eight forty whl WHS. Let's talk some money. Fewer than half of Americans have a rainy day fund. Obviously, the housing market is at the risk of a potential downturn. And the Generation Z has just stopped buying things. What can you tell us about the big economic challenges right now and how Americans are reacting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are three reports all coming out. One on that Rainy Day Fund comes from bank Rate that finds fewer than half of Americans have enough money on hand to cover three months of expenses, and with the softening labor market, that should have people concerned. The only positive UPTIC here is that fewer Americans have more credit card debt than emergency savings. That shows you that Americans are trying to put more money on those credit card payments to try to get that debt down. When it comes to gen Z, you know they're facing a lot of pressures as well. They're graduating and the labor market isn't great, so there's showing signs that they're a bit more. We talked about them being more conservative. Turns out they may be more conservative when it comes to spending as well. So in store and online purchases for people between eighteen and twenty four down thirteen percent year over year, So gen Z may be holding on to his pocketbook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not at all surprised. And when it comes to the amount of Americans who who have enough funds to cover basically three months of expenses. I'm not at all surprised to see that that is a the folks they can afford to do that, it's shrinking. That's just kind of the way things are right now, which is unfortunate. But here's the hoping it can get better. But Rory is always thank you for your time. Enjoy the rest of your day, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 1: That is Rory and Eal of NBC News. We've got traffic and weather coming your way here in just a moment. Also, we will get another update on sports, and I'm going to talk a little bit later on about just my takeaways from last night's NBA Draft. And for those of you, and I don't know how many there are, but I'm sure there's some the sports trying to turn this into a sports show. Damn it, I'm not. I think we can talk about what took place at last night's draft that really has nothing to do with sports. It's just, you know, trying to put ourselves in the shoes of those that have that moment and how pointless, useless, a waste of time. The interviews that take place as soon as somebody gets drafted, I don't care how talented you are in that role working as the sideline reporter essentially for the draft. Those are just awkward, they're uncomfortable. We don't need them. It's actually more useless than the coaches in between timeouts getting interviewed on TV for basketball. Like, you're not going to get anything out of these coaches anyways. Stick with us. It's consecutive. It's morning news right here on news Radio eight forty whas