Speaker 1: Mike check one two one two.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Mike check one two one two.
Speaker 1: One two one tier back. Hold your hold your mic up to your face. Father, you gotta hold it like that. There you go back by popular demand, Pops, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good?
Speaker 1: Good a man, A few words. I love that. That's what podcasts are for. Just tell me, tell me the least amount possible. You put me in this. You put me in this shittle rabbit hole. It is the worst thing I've ever done to you. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Well I did it to myself.
Speaker 1: Actually, no, you didn't. You're trying to help your kidd ou out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was trying, but worked out well. Yeah, looked out well.
Speaker 1: For no good deed goes unpunished.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. I'm just gonna say it. But you beat me through the punch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What'd you say to me the other day? What'd you say when I was.
Speaker 2: Oh, why you just let me die last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I had this make me get open heart surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I made you get open heart surgery so you could wire my ex boyfriend's bagels so you could have the worst summer of your life.
Speaker 2: It's not as bad as it looks.
Speaker 1: Your crocs are squeaking. Okay, the crocs are squeaking. The crocs in the socks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cock socks.
Speaker 1: Crock socks. So anyway, I got here two days ago. You had zero prospects. Oh boy, you had zero prospects two days ago.
Speaker 2: I still have zero prostucts.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm quite a wing woman.
Speaker 2: Wing wing something.
Speaker 1: You have to hold the make up hire I do. Yeah, I hold it like me because you're speaking real soft too, and then nobody's gonna hear and they want to hear.
Speaker 2: Jar bar.
Speaker 1: Alright, all right, curious. So yeah, no, I come on, I'm a good wing woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're doing your best, doing your best.
Speaker 1: We went to dinner last night and we met some nice ladies. They pushed their table up against ours and had dinner with us.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: Well I told you, you know, because you do this thing all the time when we go to restaurants, and it's a very Midwest thing where you always start talking to the table next to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, And I told me I couldn't do that.
Speaker 1: So I so you did? Yes, you did?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: You did? You started, You started it.
Speaker 2: You're the one that leaned over.
Speaker 1: No, I told her what was going on, because what happened is another table sat next to us, and did you see they asked to move? No, you didn't see that. You didn't notice that a table.
Speaker 2: Moved over to the other side. I noticed they did that, but I was wondering why.
Speaker 1: Well, you could have asked him.
Speaker 2: What I didn't say anything. I didn't say anything.
Speaker 1: So you do this when we go out to restaurants a lot, which I think is very endearing, but other people find it annoying, which is that you sit down and you immediately let the other table into the conversation. You say, Hey, how you doing.
Speaker 2: Going, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Where are you probably doing?
Speaker 2: You doing? So?
Speaker 1: I told him right before the next table, because I watched a table cycle out real quick next to us, and I told you, did I say, right before they sat down? What did I say? Before they sat down?
Speaker 2: You said, don't talk to any other tables?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And then I didn't?
Speaker 1: Yes, you did, Dad. The second they sat.
Speaker 2: Down, I just said, hey, how's it going.
Speaker 1: No, you said hey, you're beautiful? I did, Yes you did. Oh, okay, you said hi, you're beautiful, and then you said what I was like, Dad, and then I had to explain to her. And then she was luckily from Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota, so we had another Midwestern Oh, don't channell, Oh don't all don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just selling cars here on the Hooper.
Speaker 1: And then you were talking to her friend about Fargo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she loves that show. She said she watched it a hundred times.
Speaker 1: Oh that's too many times to watch anything.
Speaker 2: That's her deal.
Speaker 1: That's her deal. So anyway, now you've got a couple of prospects. Yeah, no, I don't understand why you're not. If you're down here and you gotta be down here, why don't you want some friends?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't really have time for friends. You editing at all?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you don't have?
Speaker 1: You got nothing to do?
Speaker 2: I know, but nothing's good.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm here for a reason, and my reason is not to hook up with someone.
Speaker 1: Your reason is to walk around hundred miles away. Well, your first of all, your reason, what you've been doing is walking around the apartment with water shoes and socks on. So if you could get a reason that's better than that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna switch to cowboy shorts, no pants. Yeah, just stand outside till I get the rest of it. They fling me on the ground. Watch.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, I mean I've never obviously, I thought I was going to live in Florida, and I I'm so glad I don't because the dog days of summer here.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's thick.
Speaker 1: You like drink the air when you walk outside.
Speaker 2: You can squeeze drops the water out of the air with your fist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little, you can wring it out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, that's salty. That's my sweat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, but you've been doing sprints up and down the block.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's only leg day.
Speaker 1: That's on leg day, all right, while you're getting in shape if nothing else, I know. Yeah, your body's in shape. Your mind's a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mind's fine.
Speaker 1: My mind's fine.
Speaker 2: Mine's fine. Yeah, I got it all put together. I'm running three jobs, four jobs, three of them from fifteen hundred miles away. Every day I talk to the guys and I tell them what they need to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, really, well, you're supposed to be retiring.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to retire last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened? The old open heart, the old open heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When you're it's not easy to close the business. Yeah, but down a business?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you have so many people reaching out to you? Okay, let's talk about your heart surgery. When I called you and said, I went to a psychic, yes, and he said, you got some heart problems.
Speaker 2: He said, you said, he said, I don't know what it is. There's something the matter in his chest.
Speaker 1: Yes. He said he didn't know if it was lungs or heart.
Speaker 2: And I said, well, it's a broken heart.
Speaker 1: Intense emotionally feel a loss. Serious chiming in with what a broken heart is? Sis, stop it, Siri, We know what a broken heart is? Is that even, Siri? What does I stop it? Okay, all right, let's let her die? Oh my god, my phone in the mine attack of the technology, Oh my god. Okay, So I say that, and then you were very reticent. You did not want to get anything checked.
Speaker 2: No. I The only reason I did is because you've said you weren't going on a canoe trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't get cassium heart scan, right, so it just to prove you wrong.
Speaker 1: Then you ended up on it operating, ended up with.
Speaker 2: My lungs and heart outside my bike wearing on my chest, which I didn't see, but I asked for a film of that. It would have been cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the doctor was wearing a GoPro. I don't know about that being so cool.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it would be.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you really went in there. Yeah, you made it. Did you ever think that doctor?
Speaker 2: I did. I thanked her, him and her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think they take it outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said they laid it out.
Speaker 1: They laid out the heart, they collapsed the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they bring the heart outside so they can cut all of them the veins put the in there. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: They take the veins out of your legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, what's funny about the whole process is your your absolute denial the whole time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I got the results and got some arts again, and then it said, like I remember, first line said like zero problems.
Speaker 1: No it didn't. It said ninety eight percentile, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which I got ninety eight percent.
Speaker 1: Good, yeah, not ninety eight percent. My heart's going to stop for the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I sent it to you guys like see like see yeah good, yeah, see see I'm okay, Yeah, I told you to quit worrying, and Heather calls drop whatever you're doing. It goes see your hearts surgeon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cardio cardiologist.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I was playing baseball at the time, hardball in a sixteen over league and a fifty five and over league, and I had It's not like I had any pain. I had discomfort in my upper chest, like a high yeah, and that was but then it would go away, like after the first after you got moving, it would go away. And I was just like, well, this is what happens when you get old.
Speaker 1: I'm dropped out on the baseball this has happened.
Speaker 2: Chase the ball like a dog. Yeah, and you keel over on the morning track.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, that was. It was an interesting series of emotions to witness because there was a lot of denial and then there was a lot of anger when you found out you had to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was mad.
Speaker 1: You're mad because I ruined another I ruined yet another sub. I ruined the canoe trip.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would have been probably the worst thing decision I ever made, to go on a canoe trip.
Speaker 1: This is what we were going to paddles. Yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: Canoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're in the middle of in the middle of nowhere with no phone, no way to get a hold of anyone. Dad's just keeled over the Hey girls back, that is if you were alive.
Speaker 2: Who was going to goal?
Speaker 1: Everyone? It was Brian Westbach and his son Rick And then.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right you Heather, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: And I think Qui was on the fence about it.
Speaker 2: Some we had to have a sixth person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it was Qui, but anyway, we h didn't go spoiler alert. But the good news is you get two Canada trips this summer.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: But even when you were going into that surgery, you were making jokes on the table and the nurse was like, do you understand the gravity of what you're about to go into?
Speaker 2: Why? What did I say? I asked her if I was gonna still be able to know?
Speaker 1: That was when you got out of surgery. When you got out of surgery, you said to her, the first thing you said was I don't You said, am I going to still be able to play guitar? Or am I going to be able to play guitar? And she's like, yeah, you should be able to when you're heeled and you're like, that's cool because I couldn't before.
Speaker 2: I never could before I had a phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, but even like before the surgery, were making jokes and the woman was not really having it. She's like, do you understand? And you didn't understand. That's the thing. You told everyone you were going to be back to work in two weeks.
Speaker 2: I was no, you were, you were I put it on the horse vest. Yeah, the flat jacket. I'm going to moti wine more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you tried to go both the lawn right after you had open heart surgery. Like your chest isn't even glued together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you call it? The gluten screwed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gluten screwed. The clavicles busted out.
Speaker 2: I could feel the staples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every time you breathed. Oh and when you would sneeze.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot about that. Yeah, no, only that was what really bothered me was the oozing.
Speaker 1: The oozing, Yeah, the drippage. Yeah, it was really something. But you really want to at all? No, it's fine, you you really wanted At some point Heather and I out of the house.
Speaker 2: Well, you guys are on me, like white on rice, stink on poop.
Speaker 1: I really wasn't. I was pretty hands off. Heather was sleeping with you. Heather was leg next to you in bed to make sure you didn't because one night, Yeah, one night you screwed your pills up because you were so looped up and you messed your pills up there. Yeah, you were on a different planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I don't know what they gave me, but.
Speaker 1: Probably oxy No.
Speaker 2: I had that when I broke my neck oxy Yeah, but I quit taking it after the first day because the walls were closing in on me. The ceiling was coming down.
Speaker 1: Really really, most people like oxycon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not me, me me. I gave him to my brother. No, and I just took extra same town all. Anytime I had pain, I dealt with the pain.
Speaker 1: When your neck was broken, yeah, the first time or the second time?
Speaker 2: First time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first time. Well that that was crazy too, because I mean you were hunting with your brother Mike, yes, and you were boozing a little.
Speaker 2: No dad four night before. But no, it was it had nothing to do with that. It was just situation that three branches broke at the same time when I was climbing down the tree.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought you were in a tree stand hunting and you fell out.
Speaker 2: No. I climbed the tree way up and then I was coming down and three branches broke at the same time. The tool of my feet were on and won my hand. One hand was on, okay, and the fall. The funny part of that is the fall did not It seemed like it probably only took a second or two seconds to come down twenty feet and I was in a spin, but it seemed like an hour. Oh yeah, because you're like, oh boy, yeah, how am I gonna land? Yeah, this is not going to be good. And I landed face first. And the funny part is the fall did not break my neck. I had the gun slung a sling. There was a sling on the gun, and I slung it over my back and when I hit the ground, the gun slammed onto my neck. Oh, and that's what broke my neck.
Speaker 1: I mean, man, that could have been way worse.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's the thing, because I I landed like this, face first.
Speaker 1: My head yeah. Oh yeah, it went yeah exactly, good night. I mean yeah, you were a couple of degrees away from death there, yeah, five degrees away from it. Yeah, yeah, that's you really have dodged a few bullets. Yeah, a few bullets.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It makes you wonder if I can still do a handspring my arms collapse and break my.
Speaker 1: Neck and go, wait, how'd you break your neck the second time?
Speaker 2: Shallow lake? Oh?
Speaker 1: Actually you never told me that. No, No, you kept none of your business.
Speaker 2: You know everything, stupid I do.
Speaker 1: You dove into a shallow lake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it wasn't my neck bone. It was some bone. I guess you have like one hundred and forty bones in your head, okay, and it was some bone like behind my ear. I heard a crack and then I just was like kind of mundane the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, subdued oach, I've done it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that one song.
Speaker 1: Oh I did it again. I broke my fucking back. I got lost in this shallow one. Oopsidhe brokad again?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you definitely never told me that. Well, I don't know where I was. What was I doing? Was I living in La? Why did I not care?
Speaker 2: Well? You broke your neck which time?
Speaker 1: Well I knew because we were together on Thanksgiving when you broke your neck the first time, and I knew something was wrong because you kept drinking beers and every time you throw your head back, you be like something's wrong, but you just you just kept drinking beers. And then I had to go back to Marquette. Pall Yeah, And then I had to go back to Marquete. And I remember I got a call from your ex wife saying your dad broke his neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was bad.
Speaker 1: That was the first time you really dropped a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, I had atrophy. I couldn't like push right.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Berber Hair Oil. Berber, you guys look at my hair? Would you look at all these hairs? She went from having four hairs to four hundred. All of the hairs, all of the hairs and hair.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: No, if you guys aren't using Berber hair oil on your hair growth journey, I don't know what you're doing. It's burdock oil that makes your hair stronger from the root down, at accelerates the growth, and it just gives you an overall gorgeous head of hair. So use my code Brittyriitt for fifteen percent off your first order at Berber dot com. What do I want to talk about?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I want to talk about this story you told me about the bitcoin guy. Can you tell that story?
Speaker 2: Oh the first Yeah, long time ago that was, but I had to be oh, at least twenty twenty five, twenty three years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the guy lived in an old house where I grew up and like built in the nineteen teens, maybe nineteen fifteen or whatever. And it was winter and it was like five degrees outside, and he said, I need some wearing down in my house. So I went in there. Every window was open. Apparently these bitcoin whatever, the servers, they generated a ton of heat. Yeah, every window was open and it was still like eighty degrees in there, and he had cords running all over the house, plugged in everywhere. I said, you're going to burn this place down. Yeah, he said this whing wasn't meant to run bitcoin bitcoin things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I said, what, by the way, what's a bit?
Speaker 1: What the fuck are you talking?
Speaker 2: You're mining? You're mining what? Yeah, I'm mining bitcoin? And I'm like god, he said, it's it's really it's like nothing. It's cyber yeah, cyber pea. And I was just like okay, alright, yeah, what what alternative universe are you living? In right, right, Yeah, a little did it? He said, you forgive me five thouss a bucks, I'll make you a ton of money. And I bet then it was I don't know, maybe eight, ten, fifteen dollars, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just said, well, no, didn't he offer to pay you in bitcoin if you did the wirings? Yeah, like twenty or thirty bitcoin or something. Yeah, and now bitcoins are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, that's another great idea I had that fell through.
Speaker 1: It's another almost another.
Speaker 2: Almost almost almost invented that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excuse me, yeah, should But basically, you said, when you went in there, you thought that it would be irresponsible to do the wiring.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what I said. I said, I can't touch this because if you keep up with what you're doing, I'll burn the place. The place is going to start on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah that way. Did it start on fire?
Speaker 2: No? It never did, I don't. No. I think he moved off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, because he the bitcoin became so valuable.
Speaker 2: Right, and then he moved out and got a place. And I always meant to ask his sister how that ever, turned out because I see her from time to time. H yeah, and she's I just I forgot to ask her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be one of the original people with a bitcoin, that would have been crazy. Did you see that story where that guy it's similar, like he had a password basically in order to get a hold of your bitcoin, you have to have a code, right, and he wrote it on a piece of paper and then he somehow lost the piece of paper and his bitcoin were worth nine hundred million dollars and he was digging through a dump for like years, really like just madman digging through a dump.
Speaker 2: I think we have an old neighbor that was in the bitcoin.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, she was. She was hanging out with like Richard Branson. No, I'm not, but we did.
Speaker 2: And then she.
Speaker 1: Threw herself out a window in Shanghai, allegedly alleged.
Speaker 2: One hundred story building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk about a long fall. Well the fall didn't kill her though, Yeah, I know it was the gun.
Speaker 2: It was a sudden stop. It was the what soun stop?
Speaker 1: The suns? I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Sudden stop.
Speaker 1: Oh the sudden stop? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I every person who's jumped off because you know, they have that documentary called The Bridge where it's you haven't heard of this documentary saddest, the saddest shit ever. No, it's all these people that try to kill themselves off the Golden Gate Bridge. And then they did a documentary about the people who survived, and every single one of them said the second they jumped, they regretted it. Really, Yeah, which is a crazy feeling because I'm like, if you're gonna do the thing, you usually like commit to the thing. But I guess that fall, like you're saying, when you're going out of the tree, stand, a fall gives you so much time to think clearly, oh what did I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it does. It's like, yeah, it really I couldn't believe how much went through my head. Yeah, in a second and a half. Yeah, but I always I was almost able to hang on, but there's my body. It was too much for one arm to be around the main branch. Yeah, yeah, it's but yeah, I can imagine I couldn't do it. I guess if I was in the twin towers, I.
Speaker 1: Would, Well, yeah, that's not that's not a you know, the only choice you have then is to make it your choice.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean? Burn right or fly right?
Speaker 1: Do I crumble and let this or do I try and jump and.
Speaker 2: Been a horrible decision? Well? Either way, yeah, either way.
Speaker 1: Either way you're in a bad way. Yeah, you're down bad.
Speaker 2: Right, so your future future? Right? Oh well, laugh about it.
Speaker 1: We gotta laugh otherwise we'll cry. Okay, okay, all right? What do you think of I know you've seen you've obviously been an electrician for forty years? Forty seven years.
Speaker 2: Don't you forget it?
Speaker 1: This last one's all my fault. Forty seventh and final years my fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all right. It's all part of a learning curve.
Speaker 1: Part of something.
Speaker 2: Something, part of something machine, something machine.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the younger generation coming in?
Speaker 2: They have issues? We have a lot of issues when you know, like you talk to young guys and they look at you like you're a Martian or something, and I just should I text you? Yeah? Will that be better? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like will the message come across clearer?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But can't you like interpret the words I'm saying? Yeah? You just yeah, it's just like conversation. No, there's no such thing. Yeah, one word answers. It's just bizarre. Yeah, you might find one out of ten that somehow got social skills. Maybe their parents made them do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but right, but other than that, it's looking bleak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's looking And the trades are the place to be right now. A guy could name name his price on pretty much anything and you could make a great living in the trades. But I don't know, they just seem like they're not with it mentally. Yeah, you know, like they don't have the drive drive. They just seem weak, weak minded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then they're also listening to like scream on music. Yeah right, right, something's wrong.
Speaker 2: Turn that shit off.
Speaker 1: Gon'll give your dad a hug for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I said, I told the guy work the Rick best back. Yeah, I told him I want they had this music players just screaming and I'm just like, I'm trying to talk to him and I can't hear over the radio, and I said, you got to turn that down. And I said, I said to Rick, I wonder what they do if I just pulled out my thirty eight and shot it with my pistols. I blew their radio right into the wall with the message you get across.
Speaker 1: Then Yeah, you're like, I'm just matching the energetic vibes of the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just going to retarded like the guy's singing, just losing my mind like he told me to. Yeah exactly, That's exactly what it's like. Like, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is everyone okay?
Speaker 2: And it's just like give you energy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's I think it makes people feel something, you know, because people are just so dulled, and I think a lot of that is technology and being on your phone all the time. People just feel completely dulled. So they got to have music that makes him feel Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then slaming monsters. Yeah, slaming monsters listen to that, they probably go home and pass out.
Speaker 1: It's like a three day bench quent on their child support payments.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, oh no, it was the bank account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, holday's work just down the drain.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: So you have a few things that you say to me often that I want to talk about. One of them is this too shall pass? How has that gotten you through things in life?
Speaker 2: Well, when you're not, you don't like what you're doing, you just have to give it. I hate to waste a way any more time. Right, that's the that's the sad part. But you have to put your mind in a place that this too, shall pass. So I don't like what's happening in my life right now, but it's not forever, and I don't have forever. So I want this to pass and go to greener fields, greener pastures.
Speaker 1: Greener pastures. And how's that worked out for you?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: Have you found a greenoper super?
Speaker 2: I saw one.
Speaker 1: I saw one on the the way to help.
Speaker 2: No. It was ah, like a grasshoppers ate all the grass.
Speaker 1: Grasshoppers eat grass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how they they're like a plague grasshoppers. They eat everything. Oh really yeah, they live on greens.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know they ate grass.
Speaker 2: They ate everything. They're like, no, yeah, they eat anything green.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's why they're green. Well, yeah it has to be.
Speaker 2: They can be green. Yeah. I used to torture them when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh good, you're just passing it on because your siblings were torturing you.
Speaker 2: You were torturing.
Speaker 1: It's just trickle down economics of torture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a twelve effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it like growing up with twelve siblings or eleven?
Speaker 2: So it was awesome?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: I went traded for the world. Yeah, I really wouldn't. You got such a You learned everything, like, you learned how to work hard. You learned how to fight.
Speaker 1: That's a big one.
Speaker 2: That's the big one. You learned how to survive with little. I mean I saw what was it something on oh someone sent me something on YouTube or something, and it said that kids from the sixties and seventeens six sixties and seventies were not parented better. They were just given so much slack to screw up on their own that and figure life out. You You couldn't always run to the helicopter mom or dad. There wasn't one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were paying attention to you.
Speaker 2: They were not paying attention. So you learned by trial and error. And not only that. I really think that they thought, well, if we lose one, we'll have another. Yeah, how to fire a couple of twins.
Speaker 1: India and you guys all developed a really strong sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right. Humor was huge because nothing was funny. That's the thing. If you can't laugh at what the horrors that you are not horrors, But yeah, I mean it's you know you if you can't laugh at yourself. There's what's the sense. Yeah, you're just going to be a that'd be down in your whole life. Yeah, so learn to learn to laugh at yourself and just be and laugh at others. Even in the worst, worst things that happen. You can make jokes out of it. And I think that their country has become so ah crazy with they just can't You can't tell a joke because oh that might defend someone. Well you know what good offended? Yeah, it's good for you.
Speaker 1: Yea development.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he builds some character and then and then pause and think, yeah, h I don't like that guy. I don't like stupid jokes.
Speaker 1: I don't like it at all.
Speaker 2: Are they'll all gather on. Yeah, I like this guy. He laughs at everything. Yeah, A smile draws them in. Yeah, a frown. Let's go the other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me about when you guys built the homemade gokrt.
Speaker 2: Oh we had a butt so the homemade go cart. Oh boy, I was nine years old and we built the go kart. It had rope steering and it had the little lawnmower tires on the front that we cut some axles out of. And then we took nails and bent them over to hold the axles on. And then the bat and back had a five horse Briggs motor with the chain drive on the back tires and those were lawnmower tires but bigger, and it was a change lawn.
Speaker 1: Were you partner up?
Speaker 2: Oh, we'd go around the subdivision and then say hey, you got a lot more tires we can have? It was like yeah, pretty much fetch and sketch ah. So yeah. Rope steering just a wood seat, no brakes, no breaks, the story in front of the story, no breaks, and it was no gas pedal, full throttle, full throttles, so you'd have to put it on a block in the back of you know, like a wood block. You start the motor, it's running full blast, and then you kick it off the block. So they said, well, who wants to test it out? And I said, well I will. And I said, well, how am I going to stop? And they said, well, you go down to the end of the road and at the end of the row there's like a ditch and then a hump a jump and he said, well.
Speaker 1: If you make it to there, Which brother was this?
Speaker 2: No brothers, this was just neighbor neighbors and I saw I said, okay, so I thought, and I said, so, how am I going to stop? And they said, well, we only put a little bit of gas in this, Like I'd run out of gas. Well, by the time I hit the first curve, by the time I hit the first roll, there was a tea in a row to the left. I was doing like seven. The thing burned out. It burned out on them tires for like one hundred feet and then then it just grabbed and took off, and I thought, no way, I'm going to kill myself if I keep going. And but little did I know that they took this seat off because the seat was loose in the back beat the seat leaned up against the motor. Yeah, well they took the shroud was off the motor, and so you had to open flywheel. And I little did I know that they took the seat off. I didn't see him do that, but didn't matter. It was destined for failure anyway. And with the g force of the thing taken off, I leaned back and that flywheel dug a hole in my back. Yeah. So at the first turn, I thought this, I gotta crash this thing. Yeah, so I it was a deep ditch on the other side of the t in the road that so I just crashed it. And I remember sliding across the grass, face first, sliding through the grass, and then I got up and I, oh my god, that was stupid.
Speaker 1: But you have that big scar on your back from that, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, it dug quite a big hole in my back. Yeah, and it put a ton of stitches in there. They stitched it from out from inside out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Virgin Voyage, the Virgin.
Speaker 2: Voyage total failure.
Speaker 1: It's like the challenge.
Speaker 2: So the worst part was I had my church shirt on. There was a shirt with a bunch of ducks on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it from the picture, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: And I had that shirt on and I'm like. The neighbor kids said, hey, your back's bleeding really bad, and I said, oh no, my church shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh no, the ducks.
Speaker 2: The ducks are bleeding. Must have killed the ducks back. Yeah. I remember running to it like it was yesterday. I remember running through the yards, run into the house and my mom was going grocery shopping and I was somebody saw me running in the blood, fall over my back and they called the ambulance and uh, I was laying on the kitchen floor and my mom came home and she was fit to be tied, not mad. She was just like, that's all she said is Judas Priest, and then collapsed and slid down the wall. Collapsed. I said, Ah, don't worry, nothing hurts.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about I don't worry about nothing hurts. Yeah. I feel like I don't know if from that or just this is something that you've developed. In general, you have a strange relationship with pain, Like you go through objectively horrifying things and you don't seem to be affected. Yeah, what is that? I wonder if that's like a dissociation tactic you learned early in life to not make your mom upset. Story, I'm good, the ducks are not goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, I'll never forget when I was a kid and you walked in the house when you were fixing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Were fixing the fence and I, I.
Speaker 2: Have never seen off the roof and I landed on the fence.
Speaker 1: There you go. I I was very young. I don't know how old, but all I remember is I walked in and you had blood running down the whole entire back of your leg. I think your butt sheeet got snagged or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it ripped a post. Yeah, like a bruise that was so deep. I still have like a dimple my ass. I don't have anymore.
Speaker 1: But you were bleeding.
Speaker 2: It was bleeding out of of violent bruise.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, you said, I remember you like, go get me a brag or whatever, and I was like yeah, and you're like, no, we don't have time for that. You gotta go get the right.
Speaker 2: Just do what I say.
Speaker 1: Enough enough with the emotions, Yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Stop the weaning wound. Just skip me what I want. Yeah, get me a cold cloth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then your hands too. You got in that fight.
Speaker 2: I remember you to tractor battery fell on my hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's the lie you told.
Speaker 2: Us, But that really did happen.
Speaker 1: Well, you got after you.
Speaker 2: I tried to lift the battery out of the tractor.
Speaker 1: And it fell because you had gotten in a fight the night before.
Speaker 2: Yes, and my hand was broken broken, I couldn't hold it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll happened your smaller tones. But you've got in a lot of fights in your day.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's old. We don't do that anymore. Nom it's weird behavior. Yeah, very but why do you think you did that? Were you angry secretly? No, you just both didn't like I smile too much, so you're like, I'll show you not a smile.
Speaker 2: Laugh that. Yeah, I'm not laughing. Said something to laugh about? Yeah, a little O piquet.
Speaker 1: One punch knockout.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Another phrase who say all the time that I love is worry is a wasted emotion.
Speaker 2: It is, Everyone does it, but it's wasted because you cannot do anything about that emotion.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't do anything about the situation you're worrying about exactly, and the worry is just its own manufactured Yeah. It's also like self like self poison. Right, But do you find yourself as you age worrying less or do you worry more? Or the exact same? And it's just a phrase you say, and you.
Speaker 2: Don't know less. I think less worry, there's really I mean honestly, Well, like everyone when I was going for the heart surgery, everybody was, aren't you worried? I like worried about what? Yeah? You think I'm doing this to myself for fun? Am I am? I doing the surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I was doing it, i'd worry. But I'm not doing it. This is in God's hands. Yeah, it's God's hands. And I hope he trained that surgeon well yeah, you know, I hope he gave him everything he needs to get me better. Yeah, but worry. I did not worry at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And people thought you're nuts, Yeah, like nuts, you are.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you had a good dissociative state around it, like you once you got past the anger of it, you were kind of just like, whatever it is, it is.
Speaker 2: Is what it is.
Speaker 1: What am I going to do?
Speaker 2: It was like the lightning storm at mac Lake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember when I almost got struck by lightning yesterday.
Speaker 2: That was close.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: You think God God shot you? Yeah, it was a god shot.
Speaker 1: It was a god shot.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: We were selling my car yesterday. I'm down in Florida, obviously, and the guy needed something that was in the house and a storm had broken out and I was running and I'm not kidding you. The lightning. I've never heard lightning closer that.
Speaker 2: Well, I have, but yeah, well but that was really close. It was probably one hundred feet yeah, right, like right, across the street. Yeah, and I could your face when you looked up at you. What did I do?
Speaker 1: That would be my luck to get struck down in home beach. I think I could come back for forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: And they're like, no, no, no, no, here's here's a nice both of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, my god, tell me about the macli like lightning story.
Speaker 2: Oh, we were fishing up on the West End when we're canoeing. Obviously they were illuminum canoes with aluminum paddles, and a storm rolled in like fast. We're catching tons of fish, though, so we waited right to the end, and then by the time the storm came in, there was lightning bolts and it was raining like you couldn't see twenty feet. So I'm paddling and I'm like, what's the sense. I don't know where I'm paddling too. Yeah, so why so I My brother had saved up at the time. He smoked Marlboro and he saved up one thousand coupons, and so he got some Marlborough rein gear and he was bragging about it. And he was in the front of the canoe and the water was running down his back because the rainer really didn't fit him, and it was going down the crack of his ass. I just started laughing. I couldn't steer, I couldn't do anything. I was laughing so hard. I figured, I don't have control here. I have zero control. I don't know where I'm going. It's lightning storms in the lightning, I swear was one bolt hit like twenty feet from our canoe, and the whole canoe lifted out of the water.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And then it plopped back down. And I'm trying to bail because you know how a canoe when water gets in it, you go from side to side and it starts to get real rocky. So I'm trying to bail out. I'm laughing, and I said Tom, quit paddling. We don't know where we're going. And the other canoe they were just horrified and me, me and my brother Tom were just laughing profusely. We couldn't stop. It was like probably twenty minutes of like fall down laughter. But you couldn't fall down, obviously, because you're in a canoe. But we just couldn't stop. And then we somehow we've found land, and then the other canoe. So I'm sleeping here tonight, and I said I'm not. I said, no, I'm not. Well, are you gonna just go next to some dead fall and call it? Yeah? You're soaking wet, you know, even though it's eighty degrees seventy degrees outside, it won't be that for long and the night comes you'll be Yeah, no, stop, I said, I'm just gonna wait for this to break. It's going to break. And you know, they the other three people still they still wonder if I'm touched.
Speaker 1: The answer is yes.
Speaker 2: Well Tom was laughing to it. I thank god he was laughing because I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's something about you where when things are really really bad, all you do is laugh.
Speaker 2: Well, what are you gonna do? Cry? Or panic? Yeah? Panic's no good. Yeah. Last in the woods once and I panicked, And as soon as I stopped and sat down and calmed down, I thought, what do I need to get out of here? Just listen? Listen. You can hear cars on a road five mile house from here, right, so just listed for the cars. Yeah, and then walk that way. Yeah you'll get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Where'd you get lost in the woods?
Speaker 2: Voca?
Speaker 1: Oh that's not a good woods to get lost. And it's also not many cars up there.
Speaker 2: So you really know, but you have to be the accident. Everything's good, like it's almost like hunting. You don't panic until you're done.
Speaker 1: Shooting right then you.
Speaker 2: Just then you're like fall on the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, we're going to talk about me as a kid. What's one thing you wish I'd worry less about.
Speaker 2: You? Mmm? I don't know. Do you worry? Yeah, well, you worry about your future.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Have we ever talked.
Speaker 2: You worry about me? No?
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean if I think about when you like, yeah, that's that's I thought. I can't go near. But I don't worry about you. No, I don't love that you live alone in that big house and you putts around. I know, but you putts around with heavy machinery and you know you change out of your foot wide open. No you're not. You change on.
Speaker 2: I'm a lot more careful than I used to be. Remember that tractor I used to have, and the batteries on instead, so I'd roll it down the hill. I pushed the tires and then jump on the track and s and gear. Yeah yeah that No, that's stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dumb.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: What's something I did growing up that still makes you laugh?
Speaker 2: M Oh, the times you jumped in the pool in Florida. What.
Speaker 1: I don't know this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You we were walking out, You're like four years old. Yeah, maybe, And we didn't have any preserver on your wings or anything. And I'm walking out still with my clothes on, shorts and wallet in the pocket, keys in the pocket, and all of a sudden, you just whip out and jump in the deep end of the pool.
Speaker 1: Did I have a suit on?
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're so I I didn't take anything off. I just dove in after you, and you were standing on the bottom, laughing with bubbles coming out of your mouth, and I'm thinking, she's going to take a breath real quick. I grabbed you, and I fireballed off the bottom and got you up in the air, and I was like, you idiots more you were that close to taking a breath because you're laughing, and I see the bubbles coming out of your lungs, and I'm like, she's going to take a breath any second now. And I whipped you up.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't even know that story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was one thing I laugh about it now, but I was scared, scared shitless. In fact, they're still pooping that pool.
Speaker 1: Wait. My favorite story is when we were in Canada and I was mouthing off because I was trying to go on that you're.
Speaker 2: Trying to impress the boys, probably like twelve, maybe maybe Bobby nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't think nine. I think ten twelve.
Speaker 2: Because I started taking you to Canada when you were twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had to be eleven eleven, I had to be eleven. It was the year before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some ten years old and yeah, kind of pressed the boys. Yeah, at three in the no, you said.
Speaker 1: To me, af your mouth off to me one more time, you're going in the lake, and I was like, you math after me one more.
Speaker 2: Right, I've never picked you up by that. Best about the look on your face, like total surprise, betrayal.
Speaker 1: I've been betrayed by a man for the first time, but certainly not the last.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just remember that look on your face, like, oh I did it now? Shoot I pissed him off? Oh man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did you realize I was funny.
Speaker 2: When you were born?
Speaker 1: From the look you what the hell is that? I feel like I was not a funny kid.
Speaker 2: You were funny. You were funny because you were you were very funny. You were funny. I don't know if you were funny on purpose, funny just because you're funny, you were just a goof.
Speaker 1: Yeah I didn't. I didn't. I was never like funny in school. Like, I didn't have friends, I didn't have I didn't have anyfluence I got was. I didn't find my funny. I think until later in life, like fifteen sixteen. Well, when I finally started drinking. Oh I see, I had the confidence to become funny.
Speaker 2: Well, now you've got the confidence become funny and you don't drink.
Speaker 1: I know what a nightmare and what fresh hell.
Speaker 2: Nightmare all the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it rolls into the next literally. Okay, what's a misdirect in life that felt like punishment at the time but turned out to be a blessing?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, no comment, come on a punishment at the time. Well, I can think about a couple of them. First divorce, Yeah, first divorce seemed like a punishment but was a blessing because I probably wouldn't be here. Yeah, I'd be dead or in jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think probably dead. She was going to kill you. She wanted to. She texted you that right before she killed herself. She said, I've got a gun and I'm coming.
Speaker 2: Remember that. Well, No, that wasn't And she tried before that, but I stopped her. Yeah, uh yeah. And then when I was in partnership in the electrical business with lou Jos two thousand and eight, that seemed like a punishment. The economy was messed, and that seemed like a punishment but turned out to be great. Yeah, because you started so sometimes I guess it's your attitude. Yeah, I mean, if you if you're if you can be like rock solid and I'm not gonna let this burn me. I'm not gonna let this drive me down into the dumps. I'm gonna rise above and become something. Just get the gumption to do what you need to do. Yeah, and don't don't waiver. Yeah, And I mean, honestly, that's about all.
Speaker 1: That's it. When you're like outsider looking in at my life. Is there anything you wish I was doing differently? Well, all of it.
Speaker 2: No, You're you're chasing your dream. Yeah, right, I fell into mind. Mm hmmm, I fell into mind you're chasing yours and that's really Uh, that's so special in life that you have the opportunity to keep chasing it and you keep it up. Eventually you'll you'll make it because you are determined. Yeah, determined something, there's something, alright, alright. I love you, I love your comfort, and you're a really good person. You know, you wouldn't know that how good of a person she is unless you knew her.
Speaker 1: On my side of defense, yeah, you wouldn't know it because she doesn't act like a good person.
Speaker 2: But no, she is, and she can. She can make friends with anybody if she wants.
Speaker 1: I don't want.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, yeah you the women's, the women's and the lady they want you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh man, Speaking of which, we gotta go. We gotta go hang out with our lady friends. Oh I see, I see.
Speaker 2: I guess that's gonna work real well, let me see if they.
Speaker 1: Text you back. Let's see.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, we love you.
Speaker 1: Here great, she said, we're gonna go to Wellington. We're gonna grab a bite at the Stay and they both live at the Polo Club. So Wellington is on the way to West Palm, So I'll just bring my bag. We'll go there and then you're gonna uber back. Maybe lift Yeah, lift. I love you, Dad, I love you too. You're the best. Thanks for doing the pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, hours up, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Been an hour and fifteen minutes. What the time flies when you're with me?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Time a piece of shit?
Speaker 2: I love you, I love you.
Speaker 1: Too, the artist way you guys, we're getting close to the end. We are getting close to the end. Best is I would bet there's two of us left, especially after I took that break. I bet the four that were there fell off. But you know what I said, even if it's just one person I'm doing this for, I would keep doing it. And I'm going to keep my word. This is week eleven of a twelve week book, so we are almost Dune, two weeks left, recovering a sense of autonomy. An artists cash flow is typically erratic. Creach heard that the market may be rotten even when the work is great. So this is something that I'm struggling with. Everyone in la is struggling with right now. Like you can make the best TV show, and you can write the best movie, and you can do you know, some really excellent work, but Hollywood is going out of business, all right, Hollywood's having to going out of business sale because the jig is up on the fact that it was run by a bunch of fucking pedophiles. And then all these streamers got in the game, and she got turned upside down, right, she got turned all the way upside down. So they're like, unless you're Margot Robbie, you're not getting a movie made. And even if you're Margot Robbie, they might not greenlight your movie. It's an insane place to be right now. So just having an awareness that, like, it's not always a reflection of your work. If your work doesn't sell, sometimes it's just a reflection of the market. And also like there's divine guidance with all of it, right, like's not if it's a no, it could just be not right now. But for me, I always say this or something better with everything. So I have to free myself from determining my value and the value of my work on the market value. So you can't think you can't directly tie your value as a human being to how much your painting sells for or how if your TV show runs three seasons, or if it even gets picked up at all, or if your book sells, like, that's not your value. Okay, your value. Just do the work, put it out. The rest is none of your business. If I have a poem to write, I need to write that poem, whether it will sell or not, okay, So whether like it is truly just like, do the work, put it out. The rest is none of your business. That's up to the universe and that's between you. Know, that's not your business. Do the work, put it out. Even if it affects one person slightly, You've done your job.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I always say that with this podcast. It's not huge, but the people that do listen to it really love it. And if I can, you know, if I can make a couple thousand people happy a week, great, you know, great love that you have to make some concessions and sense of timing some concessions does not mean total irresponsibility. So when you do the work and you have to be like, all right, well, I don't know when it's going to start paying the bills, or if it's gonna start paying the bills, then you have to be a little loose with it. But that doesn't mean like completely being like, well, falk everything you know that doesn't mean totally irresponsibility. But here's the thing. Sometimes I will write badly, draw badly, paint badly, perform badly. I have a right to do that and to get to the other side create. Creativity itself is the reward. To a large degree, my life is my art, and when when it gets dull, so does my work. As an artist. My self respect comes from doing the work, one performance at a time, when gig at a time, when hating at a time, two and a half years to make a ninety minute piece of film, five draft for one play, two years of working on a musical. Throughout it all, Daily I show up with the morning Pages and I write about my ugly curtains, my rotten haircut, my delight, and the way the light hits the trees on the morning run. As an artist, I do not need to be rich, but I do need to be richly supported. I cannot allow my emotional and intellectual life to stagnate, or the work will show it. There's a connection between self nurturing and self respect. If I hate myself, basically, if I get stagnant, you're gonna start to hate yourself. And if you hate yourself, you're gonna lash out at yourself or others. If I sabotage my artists, I can well expect an eating binge, a sex binge, a temper binge. Creativity is oxygen for our souls. We react like we're being choked when cutting off our creativity makes us savage. We react like we're being choked. So we come?
Speaker 2: Is that what you say? You come?
Speaker 1: Weeknd? Okay, this is a real This is a real rage that surfaces when we are interfered with on levels then picking lint off of us, fixing us up. When well meaning parents and friends push marriage or nine to five or anything on us that doesn't evolve in a way that allows our art to continue, we will react as if we are fighting for our lives.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: To kill your dreams because they are irresponsible. Is to be irresponsible to yourself. Credibility lies within you and God, not with a vote of your friends and acquaintances. The Creator made us creative. Our creativity is our gift from God. Our use of it is our gift to God. Accepting this bargain is the beginning of true self acceptance. Creativity is a spiritual practice. In other words, just when we get there, that there disappears. Dissatisfied with our accomplishments, however lofty, we are once again confronted with our creative self and its hungers, this unfinished quality. Can I rest. Like when we're creative, we want We set goals for ourselves and then we reach those goals. In the second we reach them, we set another goal. We don't take time to enjoy the fact that we got to where we were going. We immediately move the goal post. And I think as artists we are it's not necessarily so much about the goal and the greed of attaining the goal. Whether it's an oscar, an emmy, whatever it is, a you know, a fucking stamp of approval from your mom, whatever the thing is, we want more and more because as creatives, we can't rest. We can't stagnate. If we stagnate, then like the creativity, the channel gets shut down.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's just like a channel on a radio. If you're going between channels and one hits and one doesn't, and then you stay at the one. The one that's hitting is you creating, right, and then the one that's static you stay there. That's there's nothing flowing in or out. And you stay there for too long. You're just there, you know. So you got to get out of that. You got to get out of that in between as soon as you get in it. As artists, we're spiritual sharks. The ruthless truth is that if we don't keep moving, we sink to the bottom and die. The choice is very simple. We can insist on resting on our laurels, or we can begin anew. Creativity is not a business, although it may generate much business, and artists cannot replicate a prior success indefinitely. So we see a lot of artists do this where they hit it big commercially with one piece of work, and then they try and replicate that over and over again, and then for whatever reason, the magic is gone, and the time they try and do it the second time, it doesn't exactly hit the way it did the first time, and so on and so forth. So that's just proof that like you can't, you can't exhaust yourself creatively, especially trying to create the same thing over and over again. In short, as success comes to us, we must be vigilant. Any success postulated on a permanent artistic plateau dooms us, and it to failure. This is where walking comes in. What we're after here is moving meditation. Okay, so this I love. This is walking. So you'll hear a lot of artists talk about their greatest idea comes to them while they're walking, while they're in a car, driving, while they're doing something. Because when your mind is preoccupied with being alert to the world around you, then there's like a it's a it's a sub mind. It's the more quiet mind that can come out, and you'll that's why when you're walking, you'll get thoughts. When you're showering, you'll have thoughts. When you're driving, you'll have thoughts because you're paying attention to something else. You're not nose first in your phone on social media. You're paying attention to something else, and then the thoughts that are sort of dormant within your creative mind can pop up. So if you're having a moment of being stuck, go on a walk, go for a drive, go do something where you need to pay attention and and the thing is everything that's gonna pop up. First, it's gonna be like, oh, I need to call this person, I need to wish this person a happy birthday. I forgot to do that chore. I need to write all those things down so they don't come up a second time, and then after that the creative thoughts are gonna start coming up. I haven't had a creative thought in years. I'll be honest, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's the depression, and now I don't know if it's a lexapro. I haven't had real creative thoughts in yours but aside from stand up but like not like oh I need to write this movie or I need to write the show. I'm not feeling real inspired. Well is to connect the world outside of us, to lose the obsessive self focus in self exploration and simply explore. One quickly notes that when the mind is focused on the other, the self often comes into a far more accurate focus. Exercise teaches us the reward of process. It teaches us a sense of satisfaction over small tasks well done. Life is a series of hurdles. That used to see it as a series of obstacles with or roadblocks. Now that they're now they're hurdles and challenges. How well am I taking them? An endorphin induced natural high is one of the best byproducts of exercise itself. As we said before, we learn by going where we have to go. Exercise is often going that moves us from stagnation to inspiration, from problem to solution, from self pity to self respect. We do learn by going. We learn we are stronger than we thought. We learned to look at things with a new perspective. We learn to solve our problems by tapping our own inner resources and listening for inspiration, not from others, but from ourselves by denfinition. Exercise is the act of bringing into play, or realizing in action, building your artists alter. Okay, In order to stay easily and happily creative, we need to stay spiritually centered. A spiritual room or even a spiritual corner is an excellent way to do this. This haven can be a corner of a room, under the stairs, even a window ledge. It's a reminder and acknowledgement of the fact that our creator unfolds our creativity, filling it with things that makes you happy. An artists alter should be a sensory experience. We are all meant to celebrate the good things of this earth. Pretty leaves, rocks, candles, sea, treasures, burning incense while reading affirmations or writing them, lighting a candle, dancing to drum music, holding a smooth rock, and listening to a Gregorian chant. All of these tactile physical techniques reinforce spiritual growth. Remember the artist child speaks the language of the soul music, dance, scent shells. Remember how much little kids like gaudy step. Your artist is your little kid, so your altar should be gotty. Give yourself the permission to be gouty, childlike and all that jazz. You guys, I'm so proud of you. Thanks for sticking with me on this journey. For the rest of the besties that are mad at me, this is a short episode, Shari, Shari, it's hummer, it's shummer, and sometimes we go to your short episode. Okay, I love you so much and I will see you next week.