Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, hour number two here on a Thursday afternoon Coffee and company. That's us and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You knew that, but I just like saying it. We also have Austin Montgomery back with us today, and I like saying that too because I like having him around. Good vibes, good vibes. And really, since we've been you know, an item together here on the air, really since I guess it's been gosh, a few months now, right, Like I said, I feel like it's been a few weeks, but actually it's not. It's been a few months. It's our few month adversary, it's probably and Louisville basketball is UH is in a good place and that's been a lot of fun and I hope the fund continues. But I was complaining at the start of the show today because I hate having to wait for this team to to play because I want to watch them every day, but they are off until Tuesday. They'll bring in wake Forest and currently wake Forest a team that I guess is kind of sniffing the bubble. I guess you could. I mean, what I don't know is like, if you're on the outside looking in, how deep do you have to be outside for you to be considered a bubble team? Because Wake, you know they're not in the first full out of the next four out there in that next group, So I guess technically you're still alive, but doesn't look promising and went over Louisville as sadly as it sounds, could be a big difference maker for him, and used to be, Hey, beat Louisll at Louisville would be a big deal to anybody, but obviously that's not been the case for a little while now. But currently this is a game Louisville is projected to win seventy five to sixty five according to Ken Palm. And before they make the trip to Louisvill they'll be hosting Duke on Saturday, and that is the game they're projected to lose seventy two to sixty. So right now, Wake for is good record. I mean, they're fifteen and four overall and it looks like they have just the one loss in league play, and that came against the kame against Clemson, who is one of the better teams in the league, so maybe they are legit. They beat Carolina the other night. That's actually a good win for him as well, even though Carolina is struggling. They're certain the alant a bad team. So the losses for Wake right now Xavier, Florida, Texas, A and M and Clemson, so three of their losses are against top twenty five teams. When it comes to the Kimpom ranking, Xavier is a team that's not there. They're forty fifth right now. In fact, let me back up, I didn't realize it. Maybe this Wake Forest team is actually I mean, in fact, I'm kind of wondering why their resume is not better because again, no bad loss, and they have wins against Michigan, who's number twelve in the km POM. I mean, Dusty Mace team's been pretty good. They look like one of the better teams in the Big ten. So that's a good win for him. But it looks like they're number are so bad. Look, this is something you can control, you know. Steve Forbes is somebody that I happen to like. I don't know how great of a coach he is, but I think he's I think he's good, and I always feel like he's the coach that will have a team that's dangerous enough to where if they get rolling, maybe they don't make a deep run to the tournament, because in fact, I don't think they've made the tournament. Und Steve Forbes feel like they'll mess around and beat somebody just because of how they play. And you know, I think he's done a pretty good job of putting his roster together there. But there's no excuse to have this schedule because you've been there long enough to where you can't blame I mean, how long has Steve Forbes has been there? At least four years? Yeah, he got hired in twenty Let's see, he got hired in twenty twenty one, so this is his fifth year at Wake Forest. There's no way these games on the schedule are what he inherited. So he's building his schedule with Coppin State and North Carolina A and T, two teams that are three hundred and twenty one and up. In fact, Coppin State's three sixty two. That's got to be one of the worst teams in the country. That you play and you only beat them by fifteen, Like just playing that team is a metric l I mean, this is I think I now answered my own question. The reason they have a good record and they have no bad losses, and they have a couple of valuable wins, but yet they're still not in the tournament or really even close to the to the you know, looks like they're trying to get on the bubble is because of their schedule. Like this was avoidable too, by the way, Like this has got to be killing wake Forest. In the numbers again, they're fifteen and four overall. They have a win over number twelve in the kin Pom. They have a win over number thirty three in the kin Palm. All their losses outside of one are in the top twenty five, and the one that's outside of the top twenty five is forty five. It's not like it's a I mean, in fact, it's a quad one loss for them. So they played Coppin State, who's three sixty two in the kin Palm, and only beat them by fifteen. They played usc Upstate, who is three point thirty eight in the kin Palm, only beat them by five. They play Western Carolina and only beat them by thirteen. They played Detroit Mercy and only beat them by ten. And I'm not saying this is the way that it should be, but it's a known thing. Playing those teams is dangerous, not because you might lose to them, but you could get crushed in numbers that are used to seed and field the NCAA tournament. This is avoidable. It's absolutely avoidable. They've played four three hundred range teams in the kin Pom and they didn't blow them out. I mean, Louisville beat Bellerman by thirty and fell in the Knpom Like that tells you what you have to do. I'm not saying it's right, because clearly the formulas flawed. You shouldn't be held to the standard of beating teams by like fifty in order to make a big jump. And quite literally, if you were to play one of these teams now in the three hundreds, if you didn't beat them by thirty, I bet you would fall maybe substantially. So again I'm not saying it's right, but it's clear this is how it works, and you have control. You have to I mean, this is the game. You got to know how to play and scheduling these teams is just stupid. I mean also another issue that I've had for years when it comes to both the KNPALM and the NET and really any of them. They don't factor winning and losing as much as they should because you can clearly be a team like North Carolina right now, I mean Carolina right now is let's see, the KNPOM loves them. I don't know if that's the case in the NET. I feel like they weren't as high in the NET, but still Carolina right now they are in the NET rankings, Carolina is at thirty nine. That's not that good, right But overall, listen to this, Carolina is in the top forty of the NET rankings and they are only twelve and eight. But every one of their losses until the last two were to really good teams Louisville, Florida, Alabama, Michigan State, Auburn Camp. So six of Carolina's eight losses are to teams in the top twenty three, and they played all of them competitively outside of gosh, and that's what's weird about Carolina. You know, they didn't beat any great teams. They played a lot of really good ones, and they were right there, could have won a couple of them. So you know, they just and again I guess I should want to prop up the ACC and Carolina, especially considering Louisville beat them, and that's a win that you know, the better they look, the better the win is for Louisville. But they're twelve and eight. They shouldn't They shouldn't be even considered a bubble team. They shouldn't be top forty in any metric when you have that many losses. And by the way, their last two losses are bad ones. Stanford eightieth, Wake four is seventy seven. Those are the two losses that they have. I mean, the win against UCLA looks decent. They had a win against Dayton that I thought was going to be solid. Dayton's kind of falling apart in the A ten. And so you know Wake Forest. I mean that if I was a fan, like a diehard fan of Wake Forest, like I am a diehard fan of Louisville basketball, and I was in the position that they were in, I'd be livid at my coach because that's avoidable. You don't need to play those teams, and it's quite literally put you in a position to where right like the projected the projected finish for wake Forest here, like let's say they let's say Wake Forest loses to Duke in Louisville, but they beat Pitt Stanford, Cal Florida State, lose to SMU, beat NC State, beat Virginia, beat Notre Dame, lose to Duke, beat Georgia Tech. That's a very I could see that being the absolute finish for them in all seriousness, and if that was because of how down the league is right now, meaning like a lot of these teams are going to play the rest of the way or borderline top one hundred in these formulas. Therefore, you could have a gaudy record, but your net and your kin palm will probably be, you know, not even top fifty. And yet you're gonna have a record that might look like fourteen and six in the in the ACC twenty two and nine overall, and I don't even I mean, I don't even know what they would do with you when it comes to that. So you know, you really should never schedule in the three hundreds. But if you're gonna do it, one, you better beat them bad, and you better play in a loaded league. To where you're gonna have countless opportunities to play really good teams of value, and even if you lose, you're losing to good teams, so it's not held against you too much. I mean, the ACC is not that anymore. So. I mean I kind of feel like wake Forest needs to steal a game against like Duke in order to feel like they've got a real shot to get in. And of course not, you know, slip up and lose to to anybody else that you know you shouldn't lose to, all right. Pat Kelsey was on with the crew at the Field of sixty eight. John Fanta Love John Fanta, Milf? Man, I love Fanta. That's milf, right, yeah, man, I love Fanta Milf. We're milfing like whenever, Like I don't know if you guys do it and me and my me and my boys do it. When we're watching a college basketball game that happens to be on Fox and we got Phanto on the call with the Big East, you know, just send out the signal. It's milftime, the milf signal. It's milftime, baby, man, I love Fanta. Let's lock in and watch some college basketball with the most electrifying man in the game man. He brought some juice to Louisville for the fe for the for the TVT when he was on the call Love Me Some John Phantom. So he had Pat Kelsey on like a thirty minute conversation, which you know, I'm not going to play the entire thing for you because you know, we don't even have segments that can be that long. But there's some clips that I want you guys to to hear. This is uh, this is just a couple of minutes here, and it's it's just Pat talking about his team and uh, you know, gassing up these guys that have been really really great for this program. And you know it's gonna sound really corny, but there's little things that you can see, like the story that we can get to later that that that is now out there about one of the players on SMU wouldn't shake Johnny ball Game's hand in the handshake line. I guess he was just, oh, I mean when he was a little he was bitter, kind of being a little bitch about it. But also you know, I mean what he was like, if you're in the handshake line and you refuse to shake a little kid's hand because you're like acting like a bitch because you're bothered that a kid is in the handshake line, like you're just a sore loser like you are, you're weak. So yeah, chucky, chucky. Hepburn tracked the guy down who didn't shake hands and made him shake Johnny ball Game's hand, which, by the way, Alpha moved by Chucky. Goodness gracious because the guy did shake his hand after that, like godfather, yea, Like you know, I just I just sunned you out here on the floor. I'll be damned if you're gonna not show some respect to Johnny ball Game. He's one of us. So little things like that, it does seem as if Pat Kelsey was able to get guys that aren't just you know, able to play the way he wants to play and buy into the system. But also like, I think these guys are are really really good teammates to one another, and they've got a real good chemistry. There's not a lot of selfishness. In fact, I don't think there's any selfishness going on, which again, that's what you want. That's one of those things where you you don't want to necessarily really overdo it when it comes to a plotting a team for doing what they're supposed to do. But they're all brand new to each other, like they you know, so that makes it. You know, it's not to say that like it's it's never been seen before, but like, I don't think it. I don't think what they've been able to do right now is something that a lot of a lot of others would be able to recreate the way they have. They've just got a real good energy about them and they're never too high and never too low. I mean, they went through a rough stretch injuries, piling up losses to you know, but teams that are good. But man, they got blown out in some of them, and yet they came out ready to play. They got they should have got beat by Eku, But I kind of feel like that moment there was was the moment that I don't know if this if they were if they got scared, if I don't know what was done in practice after that, but I'm telling you, when they came out against Caroline at the beginning of January, there was just a little extra edge to this team and they've been rolling with some real momentum ever since then, here's Pat Kelsey. It's about two and a half minutes. We'll get to a break after this, but this is him discussing his guys, which you know, I'm sure I'm not the only love of a fan that any kind of stuff like this, any sound, any content of Pat Kelsey in this team, I'm all in on right now.
Speaker 3: Gosh, it's hard to just single a lot a couple guys. And I know you asked about reigning James and I'll talk about them in a second. But the power of the unit is what we talk about. The power of the unit is what makes this team really good. We're deep, We've had multiple guys. I mean, I think it's four guys have had over twenty seven points in a game this year, something like that, twenty five. So it's like you can't just circle one guy on the scouting report. CHUCKI Hepburn's one of the best point guards in the country. Javon Hadley is a flat outstinking that's as versatable player versatile you know of a players there is in the country. Terrence Edwards, who's calling card is that of a score Deluxe, but man, he has been over the last month in this nine game winning streak, the heart and soul and the catalyst of our defense. You know you mentioned Rayin Smith. Hands down, in my opinion, the best shooter in the country, the best shooter that I've ever coached. I mean, he broke the school record at Charleston last year with ten threes in a game, and then two weeks later he broke it with eleven, and then he had that magical performance last night. But he's so much more than just a jump shooter.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Skip used to say, you can't just be a suburban jump shooter, and he's sure as heck, isn't. He's tough, he's gritty, he's as buttoned up on scouting report as anybody I've ever coached. He's an extension of the coach on the floor, and he's a fun nomenal young man. And it's so fun to see the nation take notice as to the calibary player he is. James Scott. He's one of my favorite players I've ever coached. I've never met a more devoted committed basketball player.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've coached hundreds of players, and I've never seen anybody that you absolutely positively have to drag out of the gym. He's a savant in terms of just you know, his understanding at a young age of basketball concepts. I think he's close to leading the country and dunks, but there's so much more to him than just dunking the basketball. And you know, it's great to see those guys come from a quote unquote lower level and come here and just thrive and succeed. And it's fun to see.
Speaker 2: Man Pat Kelsey. He could charge a lot of money on cameo just to gas people up. He's pretty good at that. We all need a boy like that, you know what I'm saying, Like one of your boys that can just you know, yeah, can gash you up in a way to make you believe it even if it's nonsense, Like you know what, you're right, I am the man.
Speaker 4: You did see that video right that I sent you where he's driving down the road. I got some fans took a failure of him, and I mean he's just charged up what other coaches.
Speaker 2: Are doing that And it's so him too, Like it's it's something that you know, who knows. Maybe the person that had it like isn't big on social media. They just thought it was cool. But you know, I felt like it was one of those things where we're seeing him when there's not a whole lot of people around, and he's he's That's exactly who I think he is, right, the guy they would roll his window down and you know, be fired up because fans next to him on on you know, whatever road he was on, they recognized him and they're excited because Louisville basketball's back. It's just a couple of boys throwing als up. It's right, good stuff. Quick break will come back here on the other side, give it a lock. Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was just your music that I missed the most yesterday because yeah, because you're bringing it, you're bringing it again today.
Speaker 4: Good stuff, hus Thank you, sergy. Do you see my faces turning around?
Speaker 2: You're giving us the soundtrack that I feel like is a good fit for for what we do here, which again, it's a show. It's you know, it's it's a show, and uh, it's a little bit of everything I like. Yeah, the tunes, the tunes are a part of it, and we really have no when it comes to music, it seems like when it when you bring us back, there's really no genre that you won't that you won't include in the show. I'm everywhere, dude, and I kind of feel like that's the show. Like we're supposed to be a sports show, and we are. We're a little bit everywhere, but yeah, we go a lot of different places, and it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Talk about Louisville basketball here, a monstrous basses over here, yep, getting snowed in.
Speaker 2: That's right, And this is something that probably wouldn't have been on the list for anybody if they were predicting topics today. But I got the podcast up from yesterday's show a little bit earlier, and it wasn't up yesterday after the show apology. I literally just forgot about it whenever Austin's out. I don't know if I have to do it, but it's easier for me to just do it, because if I emailed somebody and said, hey, can somebody get the podcast, it probably would have gotten taken care of, you know, later than when I would just do it. So anyways, I'm looking here in our portal and we can see, you know, numbers and whatnot. And I rarely check this because I'm somebody that if I if I've made it a point to look at our numbers on the podcast every day, I would obsess over it. So I'd check on it every now and then. And you know, if I go a few months without looking and then I check it out, I'm usually pretty pleased and happy to see that we're continuing to grow, which is you know what you want. But we also can check the location of where people are downloading the podcast, and this is the percentage of and I've always I've always found this to be interesting and I haven't looked at it in a long long time. But when it comes to the downloads that we have currently in the month of January, sixty one percent of those downloads have come from this state, so not a surprise. Kentucky. Eleven point three percent have come from Indiana. OK. So Kentucky Indiana takes up seventy roughly seventy two percent, basically three fourths of our of our podcast audience. And then it's really it's really balanced everywhere else. But we have a new leader. I went back and checked because I don't remember this being the case, so not a new leader overall, but I guess a new leader for third, like everybody's gonna always be, because I'm sure these states really make it a priority to be third place in the Coffee and Company State State's podcaking for positions, Yeah, it's I mean, I think that's how a lot of guys in those states got elected. They were pushing, hey, we will make sure we climb the Coffee and Company Podcast download state. We're gonna be We're gonna be top three behind Kentucky and Indiana. But it was Texas for a long time, and I just found that to be really, really weird. So let me just give you a rundown of the numbers here. So there are four states that have two point two percent up to three point five percent, So you know, you add that up, that gets you a like you know, in the in the early eighties when it comes to the percentages of our listeners, and then elsewhere it's just you know, one one percent in California, point nine three percent in New York. But for the longest time, Texas was at number three anytime I looked, and right now they have fallen to fourth place. In Florida, the Sunshine State is now in third place where we have three point five of competitive in our ratings. You know, and I mean this when I say it, this is a lot of fun. And I think what's made me be able to continue to do it as as you know, as long as I have and very fortunate, certainly not probably the best at what I do, but I do try to try my best, and you know, so far I'm able to still do it, so things are great. However, I just I rarely ever think about hmm, like I wonder who's listening, and radio is a very rare platform this day and age, where where we are in a top fifty, we're outside of a top fifty media market. So the way in which they gather listenership that's not streaming or podcast downloads, just like live listening on your radio dial, there's no way to actually know and the way that you do it it is. I mean, there can't be something that is consumed and something that is so popular as far as how it's utilized by nearly everybody on the planet. It seems like I'm not acting like radio hasn't had some new competition with other platforms and whatnot, but still people listen to the radio, whether it be in their car or on the iHeart Radio app. Like, the amount of people that listen and consume some piece of radio in one form of fashion at least once a day has continued to grow over the years. Like it's not dying, like people say, again, it's different than it once was, and clearly there's been some big adjustments made. But talk radio is a little bit different because we are the content. When it comes to music, you now have you know, all different ways you can get it. If you happen to like this show, Hell yeah, well you know there's only one place you can get it, and you know that's that's here. So that's why I talk radio has been able to kind of, you know, really be in its own lane when it comes to other formats of radio. But what I'm getting at is, like I rarely ever think about who listens. And the way they do it now is if like you get a random piece of mail from Nielsen that asks you if you listen to radio, and then you like, can you can actually? Now I think it's a QR code. You get out of your phone, you do the QR code and it'll pull up that they send it to your address with your name, and then you agree to sign up to tell them like your listening habits of what you listen to on the radio, and if you do that and send it back to them, they will send you like a ten dollars gift card to different companies you can pick from. Like I think somebody told me that they put they put you in the journal, and I'm like, oh, cool. I don't know if that's going to do a whole lot, but I appreciate you. But they got a ten dollars Papa John's gift card out of it, So you know, that's how they do it. And there are a lot of people who listen and that would never even like look at that piece of mail that comes in. So you know, I've had numbers that are like wow, like is that real. That's awesome. But I've also had numbers that I'm like, wait a second, that doesn't make any sense because again, the way they do it, like it's just impossible. So that has just given me the mindset since the early days of doing this to like I can't get caught up. And then I got to just try to do a show. And I have a very addictive personality and and very you know, once I get into something, I'm just I'm kind of obsessed. So I'm glad I don't have a real reference point because I feel like I would overthink it, and I would, I would, you know, get too high and too low on certain things, because you know, it's just how I am as a person. So anyways, when I look at these numbers that show me people listening in like this in different states, like I've no clue who that person is, but thank you, you know what I mean, Like I appreciate it. Like I mean, I'm sure there are many shows that do much better numbers than us as far as reach and all that, but I'm pretty proud of the numbers that we do have in our growth. And you know, it's nice to see that there are people who I would imagine their reason to download this podcast of this show every day and they live in Tennessee or Pennsylvania, Illinois. You know, maybe we're giving them that connection back home because they're from Louisville and they're Louisville fans and maybe they went to U of L. And you know, this is their daily fix to kind of you know, feel like they're at home.
Speaker 4: So I feel like you don't or right before you mentioned that, I feel like that's kind of gone like a little bit under the radar because there are a lot of people that don't live here that still like to consume like Louisville sports, church like it. It's what I did when I live back in Arizona, and that's why I always forget that they don't They didn't have anything like that, so I would always tune in here, and I can imagine I'm not the only one. So like it gives a sense of people that they feel like their home, especially when we're not even talking about just like Louisville sports in general. We'd just be talking about Louisville things going on in town that kind of give people that fix of it feels like they're here with us.
Speaker 2: And I've tried to just because you know, for drivet time talk r video. I mean, sometimes I wouldn't think to do it, but I make it a point to check what is newsworthy in the city because that's just kind of what this show should be. But to your point, there may be people they don't have I mean, their local news isn't talking about something that's going on in Louisville, right, Chucky hepburn or or just you know, not even sports, but just about you know, what's going on in the city. And you know, right, we don't do it a whole lot, but you know, if there's something that is, you know, big enough to where it's it's it's not just a topic for people outside of sports, it kind of makes his way in. I try to try to include it. So again, however, you I'll steal from Colin Cowhard. However you're listening, wherever you're listening, we we appreciate you. Something fun, well, not really fun.
Speaker 4: So my the the last week, as we talked about, it's gotten a little bit warmer. Finally my streets are all clear. Oh nice, see it's it's all melted. There's still some passed up on the sidewalk. But yesterday morning I woke up to one degrees out.
Speaker 2: It is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: And then as because you know, it's still kind of dark by the time I wake up at seven o'clock, but I look and I see like emergency lights outside and it was two fire trucks. Apparently a pipe had bursted at the apartments right across the street. Water pipe had Bursted. Thank goodness, it didn't do anything to our water, our electric or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Am I crazy to think that it's got to be because it froze, it had to be.
Speaker 4: And well, of course it got all over our street again, and now our streets frozen again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. So right, that's not I thought you were about to tell a good story. That's a terrible story. It's awful. Is that ice skating rink right now on your street?
Speaker 4: So they and there's there's a lot of streets near us. It's closed because for whatever reason, it didn't affect our street, but it affected other streets right.
Speaker 2: Next to us. So I don't know if we just got lucky. We're in a good zone.
Speaker 4: But now I got to go a different way to come to work because you just can't go down that whole sheet of ice.
Speaker 2: And it's really unfortunate. Yeah, I mean, I would imagine it really just comes down to how long do we stay above freezing? Because it's as and this is it's not like I've got some big brain up here that that's the only one that could come up with this. You know this, see this for what it is. We get above freezing, but it's not freezing long enough and it's not way above freezing to whar it. Some of it melts here and there, but then once it gets super cold, we get it gets ice. I mean my driveway, the snow that came down on what was it? What date did it snow? Was it Sunday? Yes, yeah, Sunday when it's snow, and then it got super super cold my drive like my yard, not my driveway, but like my yard, which of course is also a hill, just like my driveway, Like it was quite literally just a solid sheet of ice. Like I think we could have we could have sled down without like breaking through the snow and ice, because that's how cold it was. So you know, today it's it's above freezing. Some of it's melting, but we need like four to five days in the forties consecutively for this to all go away. And I don't know when we're gonna get there, but I'm tired of seeing it. Yeah, it's done with it. It's it's pretty gross, there's no doubt about it. All Right. Let me tell you something that I just find to be insane. This is one of when things happen that are just so improbable. Some people think, you know, buy a lottery ticket. You're that lucky, right now? What are the chances, Like there's some weird juju going on, you need to go buy a lottery ticket or something. I've never once thought like that, because I feel like even if something that I you know, even something that would happen to me, that's just like insanely rare, meaning like, what are the chances? This is crazy? The thought of me being able to then like roll that luck over into winning the lottery would be still insanely unlikely, because you know, it's really hard to win the lottery, especially when you know it's it's in the multi multi millions or maybe close to a billion. So I don't know what this means, but it's got to mean something like this is this is so insane that this has got to be a sign from above. There were two college basketball players over the weekend that both hit game winning shots. Not that unlikely, right, But what if I told you didn't seem like it. They were brother and sister. Oh wow, a brother that's good. A brother and sister playing college basketball. Both hit game winning shots as the clock expired for their teams to win on the same day. That is insanity, is it not? Like think about the chances of the first of all, having two siblings that are that good to play Division one college basketball, one at Stanford and one at Vanderbilt is insane. The window of time to where they're actually playing in the same era, because you know, some siblings are older to where they wouldn't be in college at the same time. But it was MICHAELA. Blake's who ended up hitting the game winner for Bandy, and that, of course was there was a big win for Bandy. They knocked off rival Tennessee, first time they beat them since twenty nineteen. And then later on you had her brother who plays for Stanford, Jalen, he ended up and that's a shot that I remember seeing because of course, I, you know, keep up with college basketball, and I saw that Carolina lost to the buzzer at home to Stanford. Had no clue who the guy was that hit it, but sure enough it is her brother. So I mean again, it's one of those things where I'm like, wait a second, that's insane, that's crazy. I want people to like have their jaw on the floor in all of like wa whoa wait, no, no way, like because when those kind of things happen. I just I just assumed that that that's not random, that's not like luck, that's just that's got to be a sign from from something or somewhere. And I mean, what a weekend for the parents, right. Imagine being the parents of these two. I mean, first of all, you probably proud as hell anyway, just for where they are in their life and what they're doing. But man to tune in and watch your daughter get the game winner and then see your brother in the same or your son in the same moment. I mean, I mean again, I feel proud and I'm not even a parent.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 2: Same here. And look, Stanford's not very good and Carolina is down this year, but Stanford winning at Chapel Hill is a huge thing, and he did it at the buzzer, great moment that they're gonna remember for a long time. I'm sure. Same thing. Vandy basketball on the women's side, I don't believe they're ever any good, and Tennessee isn't what they were under Pat Summit, but still they're better. I mean, this first time they beat them in five years, So everything about it is just kind of wild. And I'm fascinated by, but you know, it doesn't take much to fascinate me. I'm wired a little bit different, but it's just me. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour, And I'm gonna say this, and it's dangerous, but I'm just gonna say it. And I hope that this keeps you interested in the show to want to hear an explanation on the other side. But it's one of those things that like, I may say this and people just never listen to me again. If that's the case, then whatever, Like I can't control that. But Donald Trump is apparently considering doing something that I would applaud. I'll tell you what it is next right here on Sports Talks. You like that teas about that teas baby, Let's.
Speaker 1: Go now back to coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: It still feels really weird and wrong to do it, but I have gotten to the point where I will I'll throw away pennies like I just I'm saying they're in the way. I don't need them, and I mean, I just I My wife is great about making it a priority if we have change, which we rarely do because we rarely pay cash for anything. And if we do pay cash for if I pay cash for something, it'll be for a bill at a restaurant, and I usually end up not needing change because I tip with the cash do it therefore, like there's no like, rarely do I buy something and have any change left over. You're a good tip What do you mean good riper? Yeah? Oh, thank you, I mean thank you. I appreciate that. But the change that I do have, when in the rare occasion that I have changed, like it just sits in my cup holder in my car. Yeah, And sometimes I clean out my car and I like, if it's quarters and whatnot, I'll actually save those and dimes and whatnot. Oh yeah, quarters, I really prioritize because if my kids are getting restless at a restaurant and we're about to leave, but Dad needs to finish his beer because you know, it's what he's there to do and put him down the neck, then I'll say, hey, I got some quarters. We'll get some we'll get some stuff on the way out. And they got like those machines, so like that, you know, quarters are valuable to me more so than just twenty five cents exactly. So that's my life like every day. Like that's manipulating my children to you know, behave Like that's that's kind of how it works. But anyways, when it's pennies in my car and I'm cleaning it out, I just throw them away and I used to and I still it still feels weird, but like they're just in the way. My wife, on the other hand, if she has changed, just as rare as me having changed. We do have a bucket that is in our laundry room where we do our laundry, and we every year before we go on vacation, we end up and if we have like extra ones and whatnot, and sometimes like if we have a random five, we'll put that in there. So each year we end up taking a few hundred bucks with us on vacation that we use as spending money. So like it works out there, but really the value is more so just realizing, hey, we got an extra five or a few ones, and that's where that's where it adds up. So change in general is just not something I typically have a lot of. But man, pennies I have no time for and Apparently Donald Trump is reportedly considering getting rid of the penny. This is interesting. This is from This is actually from iHeart dot com. So you know it's legit that s is Trump's Department of Government Efficiency, which is led by billionaire Elon Musk, sure to post on x as social media platform owned by Musk, claiming that it now costs three cents to produce a penny, which of course is triple the value and cost taxpayers an estimated one hundred and seventy nine million in the fiscal year of twenty twenty three. So it says here the penny cost over three cents to make, and the US calls you know, has all that number. But it says the met produced over four point five billion pennies in fiscal year twenty twenty three, around forty percent of the eleven point four billion coins for circulation produced penny or three cents for your thoughts, the department wrote, citing articles by JM. Bullion and coinnews dot net. So, I mean, it's one of those things that I really wouldn't know what the issues could be if you get rid of it, Like do you just I mean, if everybody's got a round up or down because of that. Then you know that adds up with everybody in our country to wear. Even though it's just a penny, it still is going to be you know, uh, something you got to be mindful of and probably isn't gonna be super easy, but I would I would be all in on getting rid of the penny. I mean, here's the thing. If they stopped making it doesn't mean we're not going to have it. Like, is there is there a like when did the two dollars bill go away? Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, I mean because it was there. Ever, I mean, I've in my whole life, I've always just known that that that two dollars bills were really rare. But I've seen them and I knew people that had them. In fact, I had a buddy whose dad collected them. Yeah, says when did two dollars bills stop being produced in nineteen sixty six? Wow, due to a lack of demas. And however, however, they were reintroduced in nineteen seventy six as part of the countries by centennial celebrations. So I mean, yeah, they haven't been printed, but they are still considered legal tender. So uh, I think when that, when that happened and we no longer had the two dollar bill, maybe people were worried. In fact, I feel like I could you and well, I don't know. In a previous economy, a two dollars bill would be kind of valuable, like you can because you could get things that were right under two dollars, and you know, it's here we go. Nowadays, what are you buying that's less than two dollars. There's not a soda, not candy, Like what is less than two dollars? Not much of anything. I used to cash my checks at Ups, the store right down the street always gave out two dollar bills because there would always be like in Okay, as rare as I thought they were, but.
Speaker 4: Like it just seemed like every time, like whether I had like whatever one hundred and sixty two dollars or sixty seven dollars or sixty dollars nice or something with just like an odd number like that, then we would always we would always get the two dollar bill. And I heard there's like a lore that two dollar bills are like lucky.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've heard that too, really lucky. I've heard that for years. In fact, that's why people they were rare and lucky, which is why it became a thing that a lot of people wanted. And it's back speaking of currency. My my daughter, she's got like a little a little play cash register. It's like where she can like check out groceries. This little toy thing that you know, makes it look like she's checking somebody out at the grocery store. And she's got a little register and it came with money, and the money looks insanely real, And the only way to know for sure that it's real, I mean, if you look at it, if you look at it long enough, you'll be able to tell. It looks kind of funny. But when blended together, because she has her money that's in her toy register, and then she also has money that she's received, like for Christmas gifts, and she of course wants to keep it in her purse and all that, so she puts it all together, not knowing that one is real and one's not, because you know, she's it's just her. But I'm I'm scared to death of getting some money mixed up to where I go and pay and get arrested for Like I'm I'm very very paranoid about getting in trouble, even though I don't think. I don't think I break the law very often. I've never been in trouble in my life. Got my first speeding ticket like a year ago, so you know, it's not like I got a criminal past. But I mean I'll randomly see a twenty dollars bill on the ground that I'm like, well, surely that's not that's not real, And it takes me a while to, like you to know for sure. So you know, there are people who can make counterfeit money that you know. I'm a nerd for documentaries, and I've seen how the level of like if you're somebody that has the ability to recreate and you have the method that makes it seem as real as possible, you know, you're kind of behind the scenes. You're not actually the one that's out there, like you can get caught, but you know, it's almost like having a supplier for drugs, right, like you never give up, you never give up a plug. It's a no no. Well, the people who are in fact out they're printing money that looks real, you know, they tend to not actually ever get caught as much as those because it's not that big of an offense. If you get caught with fake might, I mean, you can clearly get arrested. It's a criminal charge, but I think actually producing it, manufacturing it would be a much more severe charge. And those people seem to be seem to get away with it. All right, quick break, We've got the five o'clock hour coming up next. Can't believe how fast the show is flying by. That means we're having fun. Hopefully you guys are. Hopefully you guys are having fun too right here on Sports Talk seven ninety