Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightcap on seven hundred w l W. Back in the saddle after a long long absence, Gary Jeff Walker on the reds off day, which means I get paid. It's about darn time I get paid. Our friend, our mutual friend, Dave Bagrath from Dayton. He and I hatched a plot to bring a very special friend up to the studio for his birthday. Today is his birthday, April fourteenth. He shares this birthday with the late Great Peter Edward Rose. And maybe you I don't know, but let me introduce to you, not on the telephone, but in the studio, the one the only Dick from Dayton. How you doing, Dick? Good, Jerry Jeff, thank you for let me come down and see you had no idea you were coming to the studio, did you know?
Speaker 2: I've been as much as sound like I heart, you know, but I'm glad I got to meet everybody. That's great.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to meet Willie, got to meet Scott Sloan. Yeah, it's Aristin Elmore, Tony Pike, Tony Pike, Brian.
Speaker 2: Comb, Bryan Comb's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Scott's now we had already met because you've come down to huddles. Yeah, I was. Yeah, the anniversary parties and uh yeah for last year's birthday you were there. Yeah, so your friends got you some cakes. Huh? How many cakes?
Speaker 3: Dick?
Speaker 4: What it was?
Speaker 2: Three from Myers? Uh huh and they gave I showed the one today and then they had uh I think there were what were there pe conrolls? Oh that sounds great, pretty good.
Speaker 1: Did the crew at McDonald's did you see them today earlier? Yeah? Yeah, how were they doing good?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: I talked to April and uh, what's her name? Crystal?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They want it was great. What do you think of the studios this first time?
Speaker 2: You think this is something? This is beautiful, This is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Did you have any idea you were coming to the radio station today, Dick, No, No, that was a secret. You know what Dave and I were talking about something to do for your birthday because Dave Bokgraph, as I mentioned is here, he brought you down because he had to. He had to pay off Dick from Dayton and and me Gary Jeff Walker. He made a bet on our behalf for the final four based on your Dick picks you picked. You picked Florida to win you picked Houston to win in the semifinals, and you picked Florida as the national champions, and it all came to pass. Yes, isn't it amazing? Yeah, it's wonderful, especially since we didn't have to lay any of our own money out and Dave, Dave brought us cash. That's good. It's really good. So what are your plans for the rest of the week. You got any big plans of the strummers or well, probably anybody playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll probably go to the Star City Dovers and Miamisburg that's under Debbie Woodell. There's about three concerts we played there at the Miamisburg like Kingston and I haven't been for a while because I've been so busy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I've been over to see my friend at the nursing home. He's doing a lot better. Is that ing Ingrid?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, lady, she is doing better. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, it's it's amazing that Dave came to our concert. It was about a year ago at Laura wood and taped it. That was cool. That was so cool. And then I met some people down that's this coffee hub where I'm supposed to see. I haven't played in the strummers. I've been busy checking out some altorneys. But it's one in Laura wood On. It's Thursday. Hopefully make it. But a friend of them mine's been coming to pick me up on Friday over a uh. He's from Cedarville. Bob Ford. That's Oh, that's a good party. That's pretty good. But you know, it's nice to know really good people, isn't it, Dick? Oh yeah, I mean you know Dave back Breath and Dave is like your number one fan. Oh yeah, and the guy you just mentioned from Cedarville. What's his name? You remember?
Speaker 1: Bob Ford? Bob Ford. But there are so many people that love you, Dick.
Speaker 2: Do you know that?
Speaker 8: I know?
Speaker 2: I love people.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: And you know I'll tell you who else I call who It's about quarter seven, good morning from Ron Wilson.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, in the garden with Ron Wilson, fifty kr. I'm there. I'm there right at quarter of seven, you know, I'm I'm in the building the same time Ron is. We're just a couple of studios apart somebody. And when Ronald always come well he did from Dayton called and all he wanted to do was talk about Gary. Yeah, how long you been calling me?
Speaker 2: Thirty years, haven't I?
Speaker 1: Well, it's close. Yeah, I've been on WLW for twenty eight. All I know is you've been a fixture. You've been a staple of faithful, loyal listeners to this radio station for as long as I can remember. And it is quite the honor to have you at Thanks Studio. Yeah, thank you. I appreciate Dave, And you know, I want to say something that, Okay, that I have loved that.
Speaker 2: I think that was the best influence of me, my cousin Benny, my uncle Tony, my dad, and I want to say thanks to my aunt from northern Ohio. She was a people person like you and Dave and everybody here at Iowa. She my younger cousin or my uncle.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He played a little of the drums a little bit, and he would come pick me up every my birthday and I'd stay in Cleveland. We'd go to the one time we'd go to the you know, the Italian Polcus Italian festival. The way we'd play it was called string Night, and you could play till in the morning.
Speaker 1: It was in Cleveland and a real hoot and naddy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know my one cousin, he always calls me he's from Malaria, which is close to the he plays too. And I have a cousin she went to Bowling Green and my uncle was a big he was a baseball fan. And Carla plays piano and flute and a little bit of guitar, and she always she'll call me today.
Speaker 1: And it was inescapable that you would be a musician.
Speaker 2: To Dick, Well, you know, I think it was my dad wanted me to and Benny thought i'd be because you know I was three, Yeah, I was fourteen years old. Jerry Jeff Never. I just watched him and picked it right up. I picked it right up, no.
Speaker 1: Formal training whatsoever. You just kind of watched it, and you know, I wanted to I got a picture. I gotta oh, I want to try to give it to Dave, to Dave from Dayton. Uh you know what it is? What it.
Speaker 2: Was a picture in the nineteen It was the ilk corning and the yearbook from Centerville High School. All right, And I got a picture short hair and I have mother coat, says Dick. Rado plays his mandolin the Talent Show and I want to thank my friend, he Brad Blair. He was from uh up North. He sponsored me and he was my stage manager. You know, yeah, it's good, it's good. And uh you know somebody i'd like to play with sometime, Rob Ryder.
Speaker 1: What a great name from Cincinnati radio and TV history. Yeah. I never thought i'd meet Willie or somebody like in Austin.
Speaker 2: They always call me he's good.
Speaker 1: Happy, Now.
Speaker 4: I call you?
Speaker 2: Think they'll take my call?
Speaker 1: Dick? Are you happy? Yes?
Speaker 2: I am, yes, I amonderful, I am happy.
Speaker 1: Great. Great. I'll tell you what. We're going to take a quick break and I'm going to give you a chance to get your uke out. Did you bring your uke? What you bring with you? Yeah? Yeah, your yuke?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay. When we come back from the break, I'm going to have you break your uke out and you get ready to just play something a little bit of it, Okay, okay, all right? Dick from Dayton on the night Cap on his birthday this April fourteenth, twenty twenty five, and a little bit more, Dick, just ahead on seven hundred WLW taruffs have triggered.
Speaker 4: The stock mark?
Speaker 9: Is this the beginning of an economic disaster? Or will the markets make a comeback? Listen for the latest tariff talk on seven hundred w l jeby.
Speaker 10: Are your money scales total trash?
Speaker 4: Well you are not alone.
Speaker 1: Personal finance of your mouth, Dick.
Speaker 2: Oh, what I was going to say too that I was happy that Joe Burrow and Chaser back.
Speaker 1: That was good. Oh yeah, that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Auntie Higgins and Higgins Higgins, you.
Speaker 1: Won't have any easier time, wrote rooting for the Cleveland Browns this year, Dick.
Speaker 2: Hey, another thing I wanted to say too about I was uh happy that I got to meet Lynette.
Speaker 1: You know that Lynette at the anniversary party. It was great to have you both there, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I like the the one lady from No it's Sherry Cherry Cherry, yeah, the green Hornet. And as somebody, I also want you to say hello too that I loved I used to call him and he loved it. Do do uh uh Memphis Jambo Barbara. I will definitely say a load to the music professor for you, Dick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He always asked about me, doesn't he occasionally?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I loved Mike all One when I oh he's the best he puts you on the air. Oh yeah, he's glad. He was glad. I liked radio. I'll tell you who else it used to come see me at loaves, David Cathy from from Harrison. They used to go, you know, see me there. I'd play and you know they were nice and uh well Dave, he it was nice. He recorded the Bavery Creek Strummers.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It was about a year ago. And I was have a friend that takes me to.
Speaker 8: Band.
Speaker 2: She her eyes bad and she couldn't take me, you know, but it was it's good.
Speaker 1: But what's her name?
Speaker 4: Debbie?
Speaker 1: Debbie? And you want to say hi to Debbie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wie and I wanted to say hi. I'll tell you who I want to say hi to you too. That are my true best friends. Well you guys that I heard right, But the crew at the McDonald's and and uh at Wilmington Pike. The group, great group. There's probably eleven of us. Eddie didn't marry. I got to get my phone fixed. And then there was let's see pastor Mark want me to go to a dinner tonight? You know's you know, and.
Speaker 1: You're in demand on your birthday, Dick, do you understand are you talking in studio with Dick from Dayton, and now Dick, you are going to play a little bit on your uke for us. Okay, what do you want to play? I'm going to do a little bit.
Speaker 10: Of uh the m t A. Okay, let me tell.
Speaker 1: The stories about a man.
Speaker 11: Damn right forever on the pre Now you say Boston, they say, so.
Speaker 12: Runs for free busting the man whoever returned, Oh he ever returned? Oh he ever read turned off his face on them. But whoever runs a street to buston? Is the man to ever return?
Speaker 4: One more verse? Now he says I was a busting out.
Speaker 12: Man, but forever runs a free Manever, no, he ever returned, or he ever returned face on learning? Why forever runs a street from busting's some fans?
Speaker 4: Whoever returned?
Speaker 2: He's some man who never returned?
Speaker 1: Yeah, most memorable birthday ever, I should say.
Speaker 6: They don't.
Speaker 1: They don't get much better than this birthdays, do they?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: I said to my I said to my cousin, yeah, I said, you know what I would like to see in the future.
Speaker 13: And.
Speaker 2: I got I said, I want to see probably the closest to me, Cincinnati. And I said I wanted to take a trip down there, but I never believe this is a beautiful place.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad, is just? I mean?
Speaker 2: I would like to be bystock in my heart?
Speaker 1: I really would, you know? Well, I'm sure that I know. If you broke, maybe you met Willie. Maybe he can hook you up with some financial planners who can get that done for you. Listen, it's such an honor to have you here, especially on your birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And it's it's no small uh no small thing to get paid for a bet I didn't make based on your picks. This is an incredible night. Thank you so much, Dick. You're welcome, Gary Jeff. Have a safe trip home, okay, and we I'm sure we will talk to you on the radio real soon Saturday morning. Yes, sir, I'll probably never be the same I don't think I'll ever be the same after this, Dick, No take care. Brother?
Speaker 2: Is uh Lance here today?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen Lance. He's off at nine, so he's he's he's gone. But listen, have a good one, okay, all right, will you put this in my legey one more thing? Say good night, Dick, good night, Gary Jeff. Well, wasn't that a trip thanks to Dick and Dave from Dayton. We're gonna stay in musicians mode. Next after News, Michael Jonathan joins us who he was a host and the originator, the creator of wood Songs. Old Time Radio R had him on a couple of months ago find out what they're doing to help people with their instrument drives, and they've had two very successful ones, which we will talk about. Jonathan Horne, who is an author of the Fate of the Generals, which is out tomorrow. It's a book about MacArthur and Waynwright and the war in the Philippines as we approach the eightieth anniversary of the end of World War II in the Pacific. He's also a speechwriter for George Bush Brian Reesinger, author of Land Rich, Cash Poor, about how the tariffs are going to affect farmers in this country. His thoughts on that J. T. Young always right to the point with his points and he'll be joining us. Dan was our second Amendment guy and also Before the Night Is Over, the wild Man on Pete Rose his top fourteen Eat Rose All Time moments from his perspective and the fur Ball too. On the Nightcap News, Next News.
Speaker 9: Traffic and weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 14: Jarge is brought against an alleged arsonists who targeted a governor with the nine thirty report I'm Shaan Gallagher breaking Now. A man is being held without bond after his arraignment today, accused of sending fire to Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro's residents while he, his family, and a visiting family were asleep a welcome by a state police officer who was banging on the doors. Everyone got out safely, but significant damage was done. The suspect, thirty eight year old Cody Balumber, a Mchennic from Harrisburg, now charged with attempted murder, terrorism, aggravate at arson, and aggravated assault.
Speaker 15: A senior law enforcement official tells ABC News authorities are investigating whether this attack could have been motivated by the Governor's Jewish faith. Shapiro and his family were gathered Saturday evening with two dozen others. Hours later, state troopers banging on the door to get everyone out.
Speaker 14: ABC News is Aaron Katirwski in Harrisburg outside the resident. Shapiro, speaking Sunday afternoon, said he and his family would not be deterred as they would continue to celebrate Passover and their Jewish faith. Now the latest traffic and weather together and right now taking a look at the major interstates and highways. Seeing backup suceeding two seventy five westbound as you approach the Kentucky Indiana state line. Just a heads up it is reduced to one lane as they continue to do work on the Carroll Cropper Bridge.
Speaker 9: Now the latest forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on Newes Radio seven hundred wls W Hartley.
Speaker 16: Cloudy overnight dis Temperatures will be a bit cooler, still seasonal, right around forty five, partly to mostly cloudy skies. We may see an isolated sprinkle or two, but the winds will be the biggest threat out of the west at about fifteen miles per hour as you go through Tuesday. Mostly cloudy through majority of the day with winds gusting up to thirty five miles per hour from the northwest. Only looking at a high of fifty four with a small chance of an isolated shower during the afternoon and evening. From me You're Severe Weather Station on nine First Warning Meteorologists Brandon Spinner News Radio seven hundred wlw's.
Speaker 14: The Cloude in fifty nine degrees currently security videos showing the moment that a fifteen year old allegedly shot and killed a man in Coryville Saturday night. The video shows the victim, twenty five year old Kyle Merrick, outside the stagger Lees carryout on short Fine not far from the UC campus, as the teen suspect is seen with a gun in his hand, lunging at Merrick, who pushed the teen away and began to run. That's when the teen is seen raising his gun firing shot. Says Merrick appears to draw a gun a return fire. The team limped away while Marrek disappeared from the video. He was later found by police and would die from his injuries at the hospital. The fifteen year old arrested Sunday morning, now charged with murder. A two vehicle crashed late this morning and Warren County leaves a man dead. Ohio State Highway Patrol says just after eleven o'clock, a fifty seven year old man was traveling north on State Route seven to forty one in Turtle Creek Township when he went off the right side of the road, overcorrected, and crossed the center line, colliding with another vehicle that was driven by sixty nine year old David Willis of FRANKL. Glynn, who died at the scene, while the driver of the other vehicle was transported to Atria Medical Center with non life threatening injuries. Highway Patrol continues to investigate the accident. The Reds are off tonight as they will continue their homestand Tuesday night, opening a three game inter league set against the Mariners. They're also going for a four straight win following the sweep of the Pirates and looking to get above five hundred. The Inside Pitch bull kick off our coverage of five forty six to forty first pitch from Niclodolo. Our next update is at ten o'clock. I'm Sean Gallagher, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: We will hear the radio ads about the irs.
Speaker 2: They tell you to be afraid to be scared, and they try to frighten you into calling I'm not here to do for.
Speaker 1: Dayton, playing me in youth excited the studio. I figured we'd make this music orient this entire hour of this night. Calf Art seven other wl W. Jerry Deffick joining us is a return guest he was with us several months ago talking about a instrument drive for musicians of hard hit disaster areas. At the time we were speaking, it was about western North Carolina and the remnants of Hurricane Helene and people who had lost literally everything, and the drive to give them instruments and thus give them hope to go on and resume their lives, because music is a great salve for a lot of different ailments, and it was enormously successful. They just did another drive with Wood Song's Old Time Radio Hour on PBS and on public radio for Pikeville, Kentucky. I just saw the video of that today and as our guest will tell you, it was epic. Michael Jonathan, Welcome back to the Nightcap. How are you.
Speaker 5: It's nice to be back again, garat Jah, thank you so much for inviting me in Hello to your rather huge WLW audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and you know what, if we can help a little brother out, it's always a good thing. That's how I feel.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is.
Speaker 5: It's nice to talk to someone who gets that.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So you have been doing this Wood Song's broadcast both on public TV and public radio for how long now?
Speaker 5: Michael well, let's see this Monday, we're taping a show number one, one hundred and thirty eight. So we've been at it for a while. I don't keep track of the years too well.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 5: It's it's been happening, and it's been amazing because it's run out of the fuel is love.
Speaker 6: I mean, nobody gets paid to do it.
Speaker 5: It's an all volunteer thing, and it's on over five hundred radio stations. It's on American Forces Radio Network, it's on public television nationwide, it's on the RFD television network coast to coast. And for something like that to happen, you're in broadcasting and you realize that, you know, if you do that without financial transactions, then the love quotient must be very, very strong and sincere and with wood songs.
Speaker 1: It is a lot of people complaining, or some people complaining about maybe the federal funding not being as great or being cut off at some point, but all of these shows are basically viewer and listeners supported. As you said, it's fueled by love more than anything else, and I think that's as it should be. But apparently if you're on PBS, you're on NPR, you're on Armed Forces Radio, which I did not know that that's cool, And you're on RFD television. They don't put shows on that many platforms unless they are touching people in a special way, and they are touching a lot of people. You know, you don't get to do thirteen hundred and thirty eight shows without doing something of quality, I would say, And not only that touches the emotional nerve, but also is just a quality product. So I commend you on that.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Well, we celebrate them.
Speaker 1: You kind of, Michael, you kind of broke up. What did you? Can you repeat that? You kind of broke up? You celebrate what?
Speaker 5: Sure, we celebrate the music. And that's a universal thing. It's the it's the soundtrack of rural America. That's what wood Songs represents. And I'll say it in broadcast terms. Content is everything. It's it's what matters most. You can't put junk on the air. That's why Gary Jeff is such a popular evening radio personality.
Speaker 6: And you know, you have to have you have to care.
Speaker 5: And I think when people tune in wood Songs, they can tell that the artists and the audience and the folks that work on the show care deeply, and that's why when we see an opportunity to do more than just the broadcast or play music, we can actually help the community that makes wood songs possible. That's why we do these these instrument gifting efforts.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's very very nice that you would laud my contents and you're part of it tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know I didn't mean it that way.
Speaker 4: No, I know, I know what you meant.
Speaker 1: No, I know what you meant. The origination of this for you. You had some transformative musical experiences growing up, and they weren't obvious at the time, I guess. But one of your neighbors growing up was a guy named Pete Seeger that people may have heard of, correct, And what was your relationship with mister Seeger.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd play with the kids on his He had a log cabin on the side of the mountain overlooking the Hudson River that he bought in the nineteen fifties, and you know, he was known around town. I was just a little rock and roll kid, New Yorker and unless you can plug the thing in.
Speaker 6: It's not a real instrument.
Speaker 5: So he played the banjo, which was like very foreign to us, and you know, he'd show up at our school after a storm with his axe and chopped.
Speaker 6: Firewood, and you know, I didn't.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I got a job right after high school on the Mexican border at the little radio station kV o Z Radio, right on.
Speaker 6: The Mexican border in Laureta, Texas.
Speaker 5: And I played a song by Roger mcgwin and the Birds, and I noticed it was written by my neighbor, and I was like, Oh, that's.
Speaker 17: Who Pete Seeger is no ken? I called him up. I said, it's Michael from next door. I just found out that you are Pete Seeger. He laughed, but I said, I want to be a folks singer too.
Speaker 6: What do I do?
Speaker 5: And he said, go to the Appalachian Mountains?
Speaker 6: And I did.
Speaker 5: I moved to Mousey, Kentucky, and not to County, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: What year was that, Michael.
Speaker 5: Gosh nineteen eighty nine ish, ninety ninety one ish, right around then.
Speaker 1: And this was all part of the genesis of how wood songs eventually happened. You had at least a burgeoning or fledgling young career in radio there on the Mexican border in Texas, and you said, so you played what Turn Turn Turned by the Birds and realized that it had been written by Pete Seeger adapted, I believe, from the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible exactly.
Speaker 5: You know, an interesting song written by an atheist, don't you think so? And was really neat is Roger mcgwinn became a good friend. He's been on Wood Songs four times.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it opened a big door.
Speaker 5: I was on tour with Judy Collins and we were in the town car heading to the venue was Ravinia and Chicago Beautiful Venue, and they had on the car radio system Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keiler, which I never heard before. He had a friend of mine on His name was Sam Bush, a great mandolin player, and I thought, wouldn't that be cool to have a show like that? But without the stories, it's just about the music, and and you know, is that how hard can it be to create a live audience national syndicated radio broadcast. And we went for it and it worked.
Speaker 1: What was a reaction at first when you proposed this to somebody? I mean, did they hop did they hop right on it? Or what was the you know, well, I.
Speaker 6: Went to my friend. His name was Kevin Johnson.
Speaker 5: He had a he had a recording studio in Lexington, and I told him what I wanted to do and how I wanted.
Speaker 6: To do it.
Speaker 5: We had no affiliates, no radio contacts or nothing.
Speaker 6: And he looked at me and he blinked. He goes, you know you're crazy. I said, yeah, he goes, I'm in.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 5: So we had we had one little radio station and you're gonna love this.
Speaker 6: We had no technology.
Speaker 5: Because we were broke, you know, and so we would deliver the show on a cassette tape and they would have to turn the cassette tape over to get to the second half hour.
Speaker 1: That much.
Speaker 6: That's how That's how wood Song started. You know.
Speaker 1: When I started in radio, Michael in nineteen eighty, I worked at a little station in Gallatin, Tennessee, and one of my duties was to turn the station on to sign it on on a Sunday morning, and we were a sunrise to sunset thousand on AM radio station in the middle of nowhere, just outside of Nashville. And one of my duties was to run the preacher who had been in the studio earlier that week and recorded a full hour sermon and money appeal whatever they did. And they had a choir that came into music, but it was on a real to reel tape recorder, and I would have to find a way to play some kind of record on the turntable. That's right. I had two turntables and a microphone, just like Beck, and then I'd have to string up the other hour on the reel to reel in the middle of that three minute song and make sure i'd cute it up. So believe me, I know about doing radio without technology. I did that. I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore. But I understand exactly what that's like. And it's not as easy as we make it sound. Michael, That's what it is.
Speaker 5: Well, when you're ignorant, like ignorant folks singing banjo player like I am, we just went forward thinking that, well, we'll figure it out. We had a wonderful audience. Remember he was an eye doctor, and he came up to He says, when you guys, do better if you were delivering it on compact disc. And so he bought us a tower CD burner and a bunch of burnable CDs, and so that really accelerated the affiliate list once we got that.
Speaker 1: Oh no doubt about that. Let's talk a little bit about these wonderful instrument drives that you guys have been able to successfully do through wood songs Old Time Radio Hour. First, we were talking about the Heleene thing the first time you were on the air with me, and I think you know we were right there at the beginning of that. Tell me how that turned out. And then we'll get to Pikeville.
Speaker 5: Well, about three or four weeks ago, we collected instruments from all over America. We had one thousand, eight hundred plus instruments, guitars, banjos, fiddles. They came from from Roanoke, and from Raleigh, North Carolina, and from West Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio. Your area was wonderful Indiana across Kentucky. We had a fellow in Tennessee that just lost his son and he collected about one hundred instruments just in honor of his son, and we brought them to Warren Wilson College in Asheville, North Carolina. And my you know, we're we're fixing putting strings on, were polishing them up. We're making sure the next yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Michael, I'm sorry that your your signal broke up again, just briefly. So you're putting strings on, you're getting them refurbished, You're you're polishing them up, getting them presentable for the people that you were giving them to. And then what.
Speaker 4: Well we had.
Speaker 5: One of them to go on a Saturday. Here we had all these are going to show up, and we had a line of nearly one thousand musicians that lost everything in the storms of Helleen. They came from eastern Tennessee and across Northuth, Carolina. We left with not so much as a harmonica.
Speaker 6: Wow, I mean everything.
Speaker 5: One of the one of the amazing stories that came of that, there was a woman that we heard about that was in her house. The floods surged through the holler she was in, came up really fast. She had a severely disabled and he was wheelchair bounds and the floods came in, cracked her house in half. She saw her father on the other half of the house float down the waters. She grabbed her son and used an empty guitar case. You know, there's styrofoam in guitar cases, and she used that as a booie and she grabbed her son, held on for dear life, and floated down the floodwaters till she got to land. And we looked for her all day long. At the end of the day, we finally found her and she came to Warren Wilson College. I had one more instrument left. It was a Martin d eighteen. Beautiful instrument, beautiful Martin guitar. And that was the last gift of the days. We gave Jessica Dixon her Martin. She was a musician. Everything in her home was gone, every instrument was gone. They found her father's body two days later.
Speaker 1: That's heartbreaking and it is and heartwarming all at the same time.
Speaker 5: Your audience goes goes to woodsongs dot com slash Helene. You'll see her picture, you'll see the story of her there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fantastic. Let me talk about the drive for Pikeville, Kentucky, that you guys conducted.
Speaker 5: That was, you know, we're we're we're working on North Carolina and Helene and all of a sudden, our own home state of Kentucky, the Appalachian Corridor Pikevil, Pressensburg Hazard, Whitesburg got obliterated yet again with major floods. I mean, you don't hear much about it in the news, but they got hammered hard. And so I was like, well, we can't be helping North Carolina when our own home state got hurt, right, Yeah, So we said we thought we'd come back from North Carolina with a truckload of extra instruments. Well no, no, they were all gone. So we put the call out. We had a We had a whopping three weeks to put this together, and the Wood Song's audience collected over five hundred of these instruments. We've fixed them up Courrier's Music World and Richmond was a huge help. We fixed them up this past Sunday. We went to Pisful, hundreds of people were in line, you saw the video, and we gifted them all away and again, not so much as a flute was left over.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I just can't even imagine the looks on people's faces knowing this is going on, and they've maybe lost every possession that they have, including their instruments, and then they find out that this is going on. These gifts are being handed out by you, and it must give you a wonderful internal kind of warming that you can't find anywhere else. I can't even imagine.
Speaker 5: It's amazing, Gary Jeff. Love is the greatest transaction of the arts. It's what makes everything work. And the music of Appalachia this is the soundtrack of.
Speaker 6: The Marria's Front Porch.
Speaker 5: These are the musicians that represent the music of rural America. You know, there was a there was a woman in Raleigh. She had divorced her her musician husband, and she inherited half of his stuff, as you do in a divorce, and one of them was a three thousand dollars upright base. We had it in Pikeville and there was a fourteen year old little girl and all she wanted was an upright bass to play. Now, these things are very expensive, especially the good ones. Well, when we brought out that upright base and handed it to her and her father, you should have seen the look on her face. I mean, she just a little girl, and she just started weeping because she couldn't believe that she actually had an upright bass. And so, yeah, it's very emotional. Music is very powerful. It represents the spirit and love and life. And family and neighbors and home you know, of America, and that's why we do it.
Speaker 1: What's the address again for people to check out any videos of these incredible instrument giveaways that wood Songs is doing, Michael, Where can people find that again?
Speaker 5: Sure? Woodsongs dot Com. Right there at the top of the page. You'll see the link to Pikeville into Asheville, North Carolina. It is incredible the love that's out there when you simply invite people to participate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. And is there any specific time in this area? Do you know what your affiliate is in Cincinnati or the northern Kentucky area where people can watch the wood Songs broadcast the Old Time Radio Hour specifically on Squad Sure watch.
Speaker 5: It every Friday on RFDTV. It airs on public television k e T I believe Think TV from a Dayton also goes into the Cincinnati market. Kay Indianapolis Public Television also goes into the Cincinnati market, so they can certainly watch it. Unfortunately, Cincinnati Public Radio doesn't want to air that show that generates.
Speaker 18: From Lexington, so we're not on public radio, but we are on radio in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, across America, Ireland, but not in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Well that's all right. You can catch the television broadcast of Wood Songs Old Time Radio Hour. Michael Jonathan, thank you so much, and if you got something else going on soon, please let me know and if we can help generate a little bit more publicity for it, I'd be more than glad.
Speaker 6: To Gary Jeff, you're a wonderful guy.
Speaker 5: And thank you to WLW for all the support that you gave us and your audience is wonderful.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You bet you Michael Jonathan from Wood Songs Old Time Radio Hour. Up next, Jonathan Horn. As we turn the page on this nightcap seven Hunter WLW.
Speaker 16: So I went to the bowling alley with my friend short Steven.
Speaker 10: Your friend's height, I'm not making fun of it.
Speaker 1: Why do you hate shark people?
Speaker 4: I don't. He's taller than I am. You're a no, I'm not no.
Speaker 9: I Sometimes it feels like it's not safe to say anything, but not with Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 4: They want to hear what you have to say.
Speaker 10: We think it's important for everyone to be heard. Eddie and Rockey Tomorrow afternoon at three what seven hundred WLW are your monthly bills? Keeping you up?
Speaker 1: This nightcap one of the rare nightcaps during baseball season on Monday April fourteenth, twenty twenty five. Tomorrow Tuesday, April fifteenth, or Tax Day, as we all begrudgingly know, it is also the release date for a brand new book, The Fate of the Generals MacArthur Wainwright and the Epic Battle for the Philippines. As we close in on the eightieth anniversary of the end of World War Two in nineteen forty five. The author of that book is joining us for this segment. Is also known as a speech writer for President Bush. I want to talk to him a little bit about that duty and that discipline as well. But the author of the book The Fate of the Generals now with us, Jonathan Horn, How are you, sir?
Speaker 7: Doing great? Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: You bet so? What was the inspiration for this book? I mean, for a lot of people at this point, especially younger people, world War Two is not just eighty years past. It's like it's a fog of time somewhere back in the Middle Ages, I think for a lot of people. But these were crucial times. And these were crucial battles in the Pacific that eventually led to the end of World War two and the freeing of the Filipino people and so many American prisoners and the like, and the epic battles that took place, but orchestrated by the two main characters in your book. What was the genesis of this?
Speaker 7: John, Well, you know everybody knows that famous vow that Douglas MacArthur made early in World War two. I shall return. He said those words after receiving orders to leave the Philippines, which was then an American colony, and he left behind an army to face starvation and surrender and ultimately the largest surrender in American history, nearly eighty thousand troops.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: And very few people know about the general who took command after MacArthur left. His name was General Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright. And he also made a vow, and his vow was to stay with his men, share their faith, even if it meant becoming the highest ranking American prisoner of war of World War two. And I felt that you couldn't understand the story of Douglas MacArthur's vow to return to the Philippines. Unless you understood the story of this much lesser known figure who had out to stay and share the fate of his men.
Speaker 1: Was wayn right there, for save the Baton Death March.
Speaker 3: He held out.
Speaker 7: So the surrender on Baton happened on April ninth, nineteen forty two. That was nearly eighty thousand troops surrendering. This is a massive surrender of the United States forces. Wainwright will hold out for another month on an island off the tip of Baton called Krigador, and hey will fight on for another month until finally the Japanese force him to surrender that position and also the rest of the Philippines and all. And one of the greatest forms of torture he'll face during his years as a Japanese prisoner is whether the American people will understand the decision that he made to surrender for the sake of his men, because he really did believe that the Japanese would carry out a massacre unless he agreed to surrender the Philippine islands.
Speaker 1: Well, can you even imagine a massacre on the scale of eighty thousand American servicemen. It's just unfathomable, and so many did die, So many did die in Japanese occupation.
Speaker 7: But what courage, I think, yes, And you know that's the thing. The Japanese themselves did not the lead and surrender, so you can imagine how they treated forces who surrendered them to them. They tortured them. And of course there was the Baton Death March, which those eighty thousand American and Filipino soldiers, because the Filipinos were fighting under the American flags. As they mentioned, the Philippines was then a colony of the United States is and Wingingwright received slightly better treatment as a general, but he was still tortured, he was isolated. They Japanese moved him from the Philippines to Taiwan and eventually all the way to Manchuria, where he faced negative forty nine degree temperatures and his body began to break down. There's this line in his diary where he said he was going to fight for life in his prison, just as he had fought for life to the very end in the Philippines. And no one had called him yellow then and no one would call him yellow now. And it's a very moving line given all that he went through describe.
Speaker 1: The two differing styles between these two generals that are featured in the book The Fate of the Generals MacArthur. What was MacArthur like?
Speaker 7: Well, MacArthur, of course was one of the most charismatic figures in American history. He was probably the most famous general America had on the eve of World War Two, and I think that's the reason that President Roosevelt made the decision to order MacArthur out of the Philippines. But of course this really was like the captain deserting the sinking ship, and MacArthur, of course you can imagine what that must have felt like for him to leave his army behind, and the troops in the Philippines had some harsh feelings toward MacArthur. At the same time, his vow to return to the Phillips eyes show return meant a lot to the Filipinos during their years of occupation under the Japanese. He really did keep America and force the United States to live up to that now to return to the Philippines and to ultimately land in nineteen forty four and retake the islands from the Japanese.
Speaker 1: So, Jonathan, you caulled a lot of this book from the actual diaries of these two men. Correct, well, we had.
Speaker 7: It's been more than forty years since anyone has written a biography of General Wainwright, and in that time his personal papers, his diaries, his letters had been deposited in military archives. But because nobody had written a new biography about him in all those years, these papers had gone virtually unexplored. So here was an opportunity to be able to tell Wainwright's story in a way never before possible, and to restore him, I think, to its proper place in history, which is side by side with MacArthur's.
Speaker 1: It doesn't relate to the book necessarily, but I'm always fascinated being a member of the media, which I'm not so proud about a lot of the time. Does the story of the reporter earning Pile, who of course died in the Pacific during an enemy attack? Did you uncover any was earning Pile ever? In the Philippines? The reporter earning Pile?
Speaker 7: Well, you know what, there were so many interesting stories of reporters with Douglas MacArthur, because he really did have a way, He had control of the only means of communication with the outside world. Which was the radio and the communicates he tended to issue. He had a tight censorship regime on reporters. These are in the early months of World War Two, before he had received those orders to leave the islands, and he had a tight censorship regime. And so as a result, the only thing that Americans knew about what was happening the Philippines was what MacArthur said in his communications, and so often those communications only mentioned one man, MacArthur himself.
Speaker 1: Imagine that. So I wanted to ask you for a few minutes. I know we're here to talk about the book which is out tomorrow, The Fate of the Generals MacArthur Wainwright and the Pardon Me The Epic Battle for the Philippines by Jonathan Horne. You were a speechwriter for President Bush, which Bush George W.
Speaker 2: Bush?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, all right. So I've always wondered about that particular discipline and how it is much different than compiling a book like the one that is out tomorrow, Jonathan. It would seem to me, on one balance, it's easier to be a speech writer if you know the person you're writing the speech for very well, so you can write it in their words or things that they would obviously naturally kind of say and craft it that way. How well did you know, George W Did you spend a lot of time with it?
Speaker 7: You know, President Bush did give access to his speechwriters. We were allowed to have meetings with him, and believe it or not, he was people often to surprises people. But he was a very very strong editor. He had a thick sharpie marker and he was not afraid to use it on the drafts that we wrote for him and let him know and let us know when we had missed the mark. One thing was true about writing for President Bush, and I think it must be true for writing for all presidents, which is, if you're writing a speech you want to give, you're going to fail as a speech writer. You have to write the speech that the president wants to give. And the fortunate part about writing for President Bush was he had very firm convictions. He had very firm value system, and so we often knew where he would stand on any given issue. And of course, have we ever were wrong, He let us know that too, and we fixed it. But there wasn't a lot of guesswork because he did have such firm values and such firm beliefs and that made our job a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Well, in comparison, say to a President Obama, for example, it seemed to me like, and this is just my personal I don't know that he probably didn't provide too much editorial advice in speeches that he gave. It seemed like he would be just kind of almost not a rip and reader. This is not to demean him at all, but I'm just saying he seems to me to be more of the person that would kind of just take what was given and give the speech. Now, I will tell you this, I believe that Donald Trump probably would be one of the hardest people in the world to write speeches for because he tends to go off script from time to time at his whim. Would you like to take a crack at writing a speech for President Trump?
Speaker 7: You know, it's one of the funny parts. You can write an entire speech for a president and then they get out there in front of the podium and they'll just start talking. And I have to be honest, that happened to me more than once with President Bush. And I would sit back and he would and I would say, he's going to read the speech or and he would just start talking. And I have to be honest, most of the time it turned out far better when he just started talking to what was on his mind, and I would sit there taking notes and learn from the experience. And you know, that's what can happen when you write for someone who knows what they themselves want to say and it is comfortable on their own shoes.
Speaker 1: Was the fact that Ronald Reagan an actor make it easier or harder to write speeches for a president like Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 7: Well, I never had the pleasure of writing for President Reagan, obviously, but I know I know a lot of President Reagan's speech writers. Seems like it's such a special relationship between the president and his speech writers. And obviously to have that voice saying those words and on the famous lines you associate with the Reagan presidency, and what a period of time to have been a speech writer at the White House. I think of names like Taking Union and Peter Robinson, really fabulous writers that President Reagan had on his staff.
Speaker 1: Well, and like I said, writing to that person's voice. That's why I ask you initially, how well do you have to know someone to actually write a speech? For them in the way they would say it. It seems to me like it's almost made to order kind of thing for each individual.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, And President Bush had a very firm idea of how a speech should be structured. You know, he liked a certain way to begin the speech, he liked the middle of the speech structure, a certain way, he liked the conclusion structured a certain If you didn't follow those rules, you could be the world's greatest writer, but you weren't going to make it as a speech writer for the president because you wanted, ultimately to give your own speech, not to give the president's speech. And to be honest, the American people don't care what Jonathan Horne wanted to.
Speaker 1: Say on any issue.
Speaker 7: They wanted to hear what President Bush wanted to say, but they want to.
Speaker 1: Hear it in words that they could imagine him saying. So that's what I guess I'm getting at, is it. Yeah, you want to write a pattern using words that that person would be believed were his own.
Speaker 7: Correct, absolutely absolutely, and you get a sense of what words the president feels comfortable with, what phrases the president feels comfortable with, And of course there are phrases that appear more than once in a president's speech, and it's because the president feels that line very deeply. That's what that represents, the president's conviction.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's fascinating stuff. Jonathan Holne is the author of The Fate of the Generals MacArthur Wainwright and the End of the War in the Philippines eighty years ago. The end of that great and terrible war, World War two. It ended in the Pacific, and MacArthur did return to liberate the Philippines two years after he left. And in his wake he left this General Wainwright, who seems to me like a very very heroic character and very brave in the face of torture and death at the hands of the Japanese. The book is out tomorrow. Anything else people should know about this tone, Jonathan.
Speaker 7: Well I hope that reading the book reminds Americans about the sacrifice and courage of the World War II generation that were made. These sacrifices were made for us, and also learned that there's always new stories like General Wainwright's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that have been kind of ignored or kind of lost in the fog of time. When you get a couple of generations in after a major historical event. Many times, sadly those stories are rewritten or they're not true to what actually happened. And I'm looking forward to reading your book to find out how true to the core all this is. And if you're getting this, you're leanning these from papers and diaries of the two men, especially Wainwright. You have a pretty good source that's being tapped that hasn't been heretofore. I wish you great success with the book.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you so much. It's been a pleasure speaking with you.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Horne. It's the Fate of the Generals out tomorrow. If you're a history buff, and I am, it sounds like required reading.
Speaker 2: Take care, sir, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You bet you. J. T. Young on the other side and will also speak to Dan was the author of Good Gun, Bad Guy series of books, fur Ball, wild Man. It's all still ahead as we trod on on this Monday night in the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW. You'll show every once in a while, just so I can put a little bit of food on the table. Our next guest is very concerned about putting food on the table and where it comes from in this country that is part of a four generation a Midwestern family farm and is also the author of Land Rich Cash for My Family's Hope and The Untold History of the Disappearing American Farmer Brian Reisinger from Wisconsin. Right, Brian, is that where the family farm is.
Speaker 19: That's exactly right, more hundred years in southern Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. So obviously, the issue that everybody wants to know about from a farmer's perspective or from a farmer's family perspective is tariffs. Kind of the world's been turned topsy turvy since Donald Trump took office, and it's nothing that he did not tell you about while he was out in the campaign trail. In fact, he part of his campaign towards rural America and family farms was that we're looking out for America's farmers. Do you think he's trying to do that so far?
Speaker 19: Yeah, great question. You know, the reality is that a lot of people in farm country and rural area supported President Trump because they knew about his economic plans, and part of that was getting tough on trade that has been unfair to American farmers and American workers. And what we're dealing with right now is the reality that farmers deal with unfair trade as it is, and they know they've been been screwed by China and other places. It's also true that farmers can be subject to foreign retaliation when other countries put tariffs back on us can make it harder for farmers to sell their goods abroad. So both those things are true. Where we're at right now is I think farmers are looking to see, Okay, how is President Trump going to utilize the leverage with other countries who got about seventy countries that have come for and said they're ready to negotiate after the tariffs that he put in place and then eased up on. And so I think the big question for a lot of farmers right now is what kind of trade deals can the administration reach that are hopefully more fair while opening up markets brought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's already there are so many things against farmers, people who grow crops, people who raise animals. To begin with, you got mother nature obviously, and that's that's that can be enemy or friend number one, depending on how the weather goes. And there's nothing that any no matter what the climate terrorists tell you there's nothing any of us can do about the weather, about massive flooding, about droughts, tornadoes and the like that can simply wreak havoc on any farm that is touched by these adverse extreme weather conditions. But it's Mother Nature at work. So that's enemy or friend number one, depending on how that goes after that. Yeah, go ahead, go ahead, you speak to that.
Speaker 19: Oh I'm sorry, I was. I was just agreeing with it. You're you must be reading our mail.
Speaker 1: Continue, Gary job, Okay, great. But the second thing is, as you mentioned, being competitive globally because while America's farmers, through all of the adverse events they fight through like the weather, still are some of the most productive farmers in the world. We have many many benefits in America. We've got great land, great soil, we've got not really that extreme weather conditions, even though I mentioned that off the top. But we also face and have faced this, this incredible hindrance to selling as the world's bread basket, to selling our goods around the world because of the imposements that these other countries put upon us. I know that someone was complaining and we had a new segment from ABC News which is probably the least pro Trump news source in America, if it's possible for one to be the least. ABC News, our affiliate, certainly seems that way in the way they slant their reporting. That being said, mentioning that American farmers sell thirteen billion dollars worth of soybeans to try it China every year and now that has been basically cut off. Can can the American farmer survive sustain while these tariffs do their work.
Speaker 19: It's such a good question. You're still right about the challenges that farmers face. In my book Langage cash Core, we talk about all these issues over decades that I've got our farms and we've dealt with our families star and we've seen the weather, the tragic farm accidents, the economic upheople, and you're so right when you layer tariffs into that, it is a really delicate situation. And here's the reality. In the short term, while there's hardline being drawn and negotiations going on, there's some time in the short term where that can be sustained. But we need to be able to have soybean prices and the price of other crops restored, and part of that is going to be making some progress for China but also walking and chewing them at the same time, which is to say, making some progress for China but also making progress with all of these other countries. So if we're still drawing a little bit of a hard line with China while also opening up these other markets that are going to be more fair, we can begin to do something about it.
Speaker 4: But I do think that.
Speaker 19: Going through you know, say, the rest of this year, with really difficult trade disputes going on with all of these different countries, it does mean that we're going to have lower soybean prices and other crop prices for our farmers. And you know, and I know that you know the President hears this as he travels through farm country for many of his supporters. Farmers don't have a lot of room. They don't have a lot of money they can lose before they get into even deeper trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you're already dealing on a shoestring in most cases. I understand that, having some people in my family that have been generational farmers. Brian Reisinger, let me ask you this then, because a lot of people don't understand. Before Trump puts a focus on making trade more fair for American products and goods globally.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 1: I don't think a lot of people who are outside of the farming community or outside of manufacturing really understand the impediments that American goods and products and producers face in some of these other countries in the EU, in name a country overseas that doesn't put major hurdles in front of American products getting in there. And that's why these tariffs are so important to leveling things out. I mean, do people really understand how, say, Wisconsin cheese is being impeded being traded and sold at a fair price in a foreign country. I don't think people get it.
Speaker 4: Until now I think that's true.
Speaker 19: You know, there are so many examples, Like there's another really good one just to the east of where I grew up in Michigan. Michigan asparagus farmers. Here's a trade in balance for you. They are not allowed to sell their asparagus into certain foreign countries that grow asparagus during those countries prime seasons. They can sell it during their off season, but they can't do it during their prime season because those countries want to protect their asparagus growers during their best season, but the reverse isn't true. Michigan asparagus farmers. They face foreign asparagus from those countries all year round, so that pushes the price of asparagus bound for your Michigan asparagus farmer, but you know they aren't able to go sell into those other countries year round. We need to wipe out unfair imbalances like that, where if two countries are in a trade deal and one of them wants to protect their prime asparagus season, it ought to be protected for both countries so that the farmers in each country are operating on a level playing field. That's just one of so many examples all across the globe of things that American farmers are dealing with it that are unfair and that are impacting their prices in their bottom line.
Speaker 1: And in your home state of Wisconsin obviously the number one cheese producer in the United States, as far as even just trading with our neighbors to the north in Canada. Didn't Canada have terrible tariffs on American cheese?
Speaker 19: Yeah, you know, I'm so glad you brought up cheese and dairy. You know, Wisconsin has one of the kind cheese all kinds of varieties made by our master cheese makers were the only state in the country that has that, and that's why it's so rare across country and why it can also compete abroad. But Canada, France, other countries, of course have a big hand in this. You know Canada not too long ago, a few years ago, especially during the last trade dispute of the first Trump administration, they were coming in and they were dumping or selling beneath market value all kinds of proteins and fats that come from milk. And so that's an example where they're pushing down our prices for what we can get for our milk and also for other products built off of that, and that's a real problem. Canada has a very protectionist policy when it comes to their dairy and it puts them in a position to protect their farmers more so than they do extend fair trade opportunities to us. So even though they're traditionally a friend and there's maybe types of trade with them that are good, there's also way that they have built up unfair barriers for all of our dairy farms across America as well.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: It's a wait and see situation as far as the tariffs on farm products and manufacturing products and everything else that is going on right now, and it's kind of a wait and see, and you believe, as the President has said, it's going to be a little wild and there's going to be some more pain, but hopefully at the end of the tunnel we come out into the sunlight of fair and free trade, truly fair and free trade across the globe and to help American farmers and the rest of the country. The book is Land Rich Cash for my family's hope and the untold history and the disappearing of a mirror and farmer. Brian Reisinger, thank you so much for your time again tonight. It's always good to talk.
Speaker 4: To you, so good to be with you.
Speaker 19: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Gary Jets, you bet you. The nightcap rolls on in moments on seven hundred WLW. After this interest rates have plummeted.
Speaker 4: It's we are.
Speaker 1: Talking now to my friend JT. Young, who was incredible. If you look up the word if you look up the word prolific in the dictionary, his picture is there. If I is constantly putting out fantastic, thoughtful material on the state of today's politics and the state of today's country, and what especially focused on what the left is doing right now to just simply oppose Donald Trump and his supporters. And it's been let's just say it's a movie we've seen before. The title of the piece last Friday on the eleventh and the American Spectator, where you can find a lot of JT's writings, the Left's heaven is actually hell. And it starts out with and I know that you guys, when you do pieces like this op ed pieces, you don't necessarily write the titles a lot of times, but it says, unfortunately for the hands off protesters, America has not forgotten what happened when they were in charge, and they tend to think that they are now. I mean no greater example, I mean, other than the last four years of the Biden travesty. The summer of twenty twenty when BLM, Antifa and the rest were conducting they're not so peaceful protests and trying to burn down the entire country. JT. Young, welcome back to the show. How are you?
Speaker 13: I am, Greg, Gary, Jeff and even better to be talking to you.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you very much. And it does seem that the left's vision of heaven is anybody else's with any kind of solid, sane perspective is a picture of hell. It's a hellscape with violent criminals in the streets, with burning tesla or whatever. The next thing is that these groups like hands Off, you know in that funny JT. They always have these names for their organizations which are absolutely the opposite of what they are and what they believe. Hands Off is so hands on kinetically and violent in their intent and in their actions that it's just laughable for them to come up with a name like hands Off, Isn't it right?
Speaker 13: Oh, you're absolutely right, And it was.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 13: When I was writing the piece, I actually found that I had more examples than I could put in to all the different places where the Left has run a muck. And that was really the gist of the piece, which was to just kind of give an across the country look, from New York to Chicago, Minneapolis. You were already mentioning when it, you know, went up and flamed in twenty twenty, you know, the autonomous districts and Portland and then Seattle. Obviously, the homelessness and the drug use and crime in San Francisco, the wildfires out of control in Los Angeles, and then and everything that's going on in New York City. It was it was just there were there were it was, uh, you know, an embarrassment of riches, so many targets to go after here, and.
Speaker 1: So many Americans they see these pictures of these places that you've just mentioned in these occurrences of abject violence and just everything going against the grain of everything most of us want for our lives, and it seems to me JT. That the more America sides against them, the more violent and the louder they get. They're They're like a wounded animal in many cases, backed into a corner, aren't they.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think I think you really you really see on a one of the lessons we get from this, which is they are becoming more and more concentrated within themselves. They're talking to themselves, they're acting with themselves, and I think that they are getting increasingly frustrated with the fact that America as a whole is rejecting their vision. And just as you were pointing out, I think that frustration boils over that they don't know which way to turn. You know, there's they basically have given up talking to America anymore. And so they're they're yelling at each other and yelling with each other.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. They are yelling at themselves and just getting louder and louder and louder, thinking that that is going to solve or that is going to win any arguments with anyone. And you look at the positions that the left generally holds, like unfettered abortion, which is murdering babies. That's their heaven, going back to your piece and the Spectator, their heaven is the fact that anyone, at any time can kill an unborn baby, and it's a right to do so, to commit murder, and that is absolutely the opposite of what is and should be considered virtuous and healthy and heavenly. You look at the pro Hamas protest wiping Israel off the map. They're not winning any friends or in influencing any people other than the ones as you mentioned, that are already singing that chorus or making up bad folks songs about Trump and Doge.
Speaker 13: It's so crazy, right, And you mentioned just two examples that really touch on the pulse of what's happened. When you were talking about abortion. You really capture that. You know, roe versus Wade used to be the mantra for the left. It's not anymore. Roe versus Wade is not good enough for him. As you just said, it has to be unfettered now. And this was something that Harris refused to talk about in the campaign. But if you'll notice, she was never saying Roe versus Wade.
Speaker 6: They want more than that now.
Speaker 1: They have up.
Speaker 13: Pianny And you mentioned the pro Hamas. Remember it used to be the moderate pro Palestinian position was it's two state solutions. They don't want that anymore. They want all of it. And just as you said, the chat is from the river to the sea, well the river to the sea means there's no Israel in between. And I think you see has done two great examples that the left have up the Andy dramatically.
Speaker 6: They are not the moderate left that we.
Speaker 13: Used to think of anymore. These are extreme radical and they're only talking to themselves, you know.
Speaker 1: No no doubt. J. T. Young is the author of the recent book Unprecedented Assault, How Big Government unleashed America's socialists left. We're kind of talking about that with his latest piece last Friday, in the American Spectator, how the left heaven is actually held. Another great example that we keep seeing over and over JT. Is this push for and and the uh, the actual grooming of children by the by the militant, violent transgender community in this country, who who are trying to convince parents and children that to be really happy they need to mutilate their bodies and the bodies that they were born in are not the right bodies and giving into this mental dysfunction. I think that's another excellent example how the left heaven is actually hell.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And I think just as you mentioned, and it used to be that the American sort of ideal was what you do in the business of your own personal space was your business. But the new agenda now for transgender is now people who identify biological males who identify as women should be allowed to compete and therefore push women and girls out of the sports that were their sports. So again, it's not just enough that you're allowed to do whatever you want to do within your personal space. Now that's not good enough for him anymore.
Speaker 1: JT. Young, Thank you brilliant stuff and things that more and more Americans are agreeing about, the things we're talking about, and that's a good sign. It's a terrible sign for the radical left, and they are, as you mentioned, just floundering to try and find some foothold and their way with their insanity that flies in the against the face of not just decency but humanity in general. JT.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Thank you, Garry, Jeff, and thanks for carrying the flag.
Speaker 1: Yes, you bet, you bet. It's your turn next. Thanks so much, you got it. JT. Young and the Nightcap once again, brilliant guy. Love having him on and we will do so again whenever we have a show again. The Reds continue their season, and that means we have very few brief opportunities. Let's make the most of this one, much more of the Nightcap in moments.
Speaker 4: News, traffic, and weather.
Speaker 9: News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 20: Barn details on Saturdays plane crash in New York when the eleven o'clock reports, I'm Lee mawin breaking now. NTSB investigators continue to work through the wreckage tonight in upstate New York of a ply private plane that plunged into a field ten miles away from an airport.
Speaker 10: That crash killed six on board.
Speaker 21: The Mitsubishi MU two B was heading from Westchester County to Columbia County, New York, when the plane's owner and pilot, doctor Michael Groff, reported a missed approach and asked for guidance for a second approach. Air traffic control tried warning the pilot three times that he was flying too low, but could not reach him. Doctor Michael Groff, a neurosurgeon, was killed along with his wife, doctor Joyce Sayini, who was also a surgeon, along with two adult children and their partners.
Speaker 10: ABC's GEO Benitez.
Speaker 20: Another one of the six killed, Corina Groff, who was named the NCAA Woman of the Year in twenty twenty two and played soccer for MIT. Now the latest traffic and weather together, no accidents too, do you report? Do have a road closure that's gonna last for a little bit in the northern part of the tri State. If you need to reach Franklin via northbound State Route one twenty three, you've got to need seventy three west to get around that closure. They're doing work in front of Community Park in Franklin.
Speaker 9: Now the latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center. Advanced Dentistry the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 10: We're here for you, no fear dentist dot com.
Speaker 4: Arley cloudy and breezy over nine is.
Speaker 16: Temperatures dip down into the mid forties, right around forty five degrees, but wind chill into the upper thirties due to a wind out of the west at about fifteen miles per hour. Scott, stay mostly cloudy throughout your Tuesday. We could even see a spotty shower to the east and northeast of downtown Cincinnati much cooler only looking at a high of fifty four degrees as our temperature. Stay cool into Wednesday as well. Tuesday wind gus out of the northwest up to thirty five miles per hour. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning mediaoroligist Brandon Spinner News Radio seven hundred at WLW.
Speaker 10: Radar is clean. It's fifty seven degrees ay.
Speaker 20: Claremont County man will stay in prison for at least three more years after killing the mother of his daughter over child support payments. Donald Mills has been in prison for close to thirty years for the murder of nineteen year old Christina Harris back in nineteen ninety four, Clammont County Prosecutor Mark to Coolvey said Mills pushed her face into the ground and caused her asphyxiation. He then planted an empty glass bottle to make it look like she died from drinking. Mills also planned to plant drugs on Harris, then asked her to move in to Marriham before committing the murder. He was convicted in nineteen ninety six. Mills's next parole hearing is slated for twenty twenty eight. Harvard University refusing to follow along with the Trump administration's demands, potentially risking billions of dollars in federal funding, the Ivy League school becomes the first higher education institution to push back.
Speaker 10: Here's ABC's Arthur Jones. The second.
Speaker 22: The Trump administration freezing more than two billion dollars of federal funding at Harvard University. This is the university defied the administration's demands to end DEI and alleged anti Semitic activity on its campus. In a statement, university president Alan Garber said the administration's threat to freeze's funding exceeds the executive authority of the president under the Title six Civil rights law. Arthur Jones, the second ABC News Washington.
Speaker 4: Seven one hundredth WLW Sports.
Speaker 20: Today, the Reds have placed left handed reliever Sam Mall on the fifteen day injured list, although it's not official. In the Transaction Wire, Cincinnati is predicted to return Matt McClain, Alexis Diaz, and Austin Hayes tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Rads are back in action.
Speaker 20: Tomorrow's begin a string of nine straight games, three at home against the Seattle Mariners. It's Nicol Lodolo facing off against Luis Castillo. He's facing Cincinnati for the first time in his career. Our coverage kicks off at five point forty with the inside pitch six to forty first pitch on the big one shared by wcpo's Mike Dyer. Middletown Athletic director J. D. Faust is moving north to Shelby County and will become the ad for the Sydney Yellow Jackets of the Miami Valley League.
Speaker 10: The move is pending.
Speaker 20: Sydney City School's boarder Fouse served as the Midi's AD for the last six years. All next update is at eleven thirty. I'm Ley Mawen, WHOS Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Feesil roofing a new ELW. Gary Jeff joining us now one of my favorite guests long time. If you're a Second Amendment enthusiast, which means you're a freedom enthusiast, you know this guy probably and you'll enjoy hearing him speak for a moment on the issues of the day regarding your right to own and bear firearms. The one, the Only Dan was from the Good Gun, Bad Guy series, the Loaded Mic show, the podcast, and all over YouTube. If you're a gun person and you know how important andtrinsically important they are to being an American citizen, Dan was welcome back to the show. How are you my friend?
Speaker 8: Hey, Gary Jeff doing great? Thanks for having me on, and thanks for spreading the good word on Second Amendment. We really appreciate people like you, you know, putting the putting, putting it out there so everybody knows what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, first and foremost, there are people who don't appreciate the Second Amendment in this country, and a lot of them have to be uh happen to be leftist lawmakers in places like Colorado, including their governor Polis who I think is one of the dumbest people in elected office in this country. But that's my opinion. Uh, they have a new tack on gun control, make it harder to reload, and Colorado is now one of the most restrictive states regarding your right your right don't n bear firearms. Tell me what's going on in Colorado?
Speaker 8: Now, Dan, Well, there are two major things that I'm following right now. The first one is a bill called SB twenty five DASH zero zero three. It's called It's about semi automatic firearms and rapid fire devices, and it's a law that sign it was signing the law and it goes into effect August first, twenty twenty six, at which time the manufacturer, distribution, transfer, sale, and purchase of semi automatic rifles or shotguns with detachable magazines and gas operated semi automatic handguns with detachable magazines are prohibited. So they basically banned a whole a whole bunch of guns. And but what they did was they said accept certain twenty two caliber rim fire ammunition and special listed models. So so you might be able to keep a twenty two rifle for shooting squirrels. But as far as when it comes to defending your home and your family. Forget it, that's out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shooting the criminal squirrels that are invading your home becomes a little bit more difficult. Are a lot more difficult in the state of Colorado as of August of twenty twenty six. Is there time to reverse that through the court system or whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure there's gonna be strong battles going on until then.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: And but it sounds to me like they're they're trying to do exactly what New York has done with their so called New York Safe Act, where they basically neutered the you know, AR fifteen style rifles. But that's not all for this with Colorado. That's not the only thing they've now. SB twenty five also requires extensive training, extended player arms safety course. And then you gotta then your your course and your your name and all your information is going to be registered with the Division of Parts and Wildlife, which is another portion of this this law. Basically, they're creating an in house gun registry or gun owner registry, I should say. Now, they know they can't do that at the federal level because it's just it's un constitution it's not allowed. So what states like New York and now Colorado are doing is they're taking as much of their anti gun infrastructure in house so they can keep their own records.
Speaker 6: At the state level.
Speaker 8: It's so heinous. I can't even believe we're even talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard for me to believe. Again, living in a freer state, let's say like Kentucky, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, where I reside just across the river from Cincinnati, or in Ohio, you know, or in Indiana. I live in one of those states where your Second Amendment rights are respected and protected pretty much routinely, roundly. And then you get to Illinois and it's like being in another country, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I do know what you mean. And you know, I live in New York, so we're constantly fighting these battles up here in New York State. Now there's another thing that's happening in Colorado that I and it's really disturbing. And it's not so much that it's going to be an effective law, but the idea that they're trying to use legislation to push propaganda. And I'll explain three Democrats from Colorado Democrat Representative Stephen Woodrow, Democrat Representative of Elizabeth Velasco, and Democrat Senator Nick Hendrickson. Well, they decided they're going to create a bill for the purpose of spreading anti gun propaganda and furthering the false gun narrative. A bill is called HB twelve twenty five, otherwise known as the Freedom from Intimidation in Elections Act. Now, what this bill says.
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 8: It's unlawful to intimidate, threaten, or coerce any person who's voting or attempting to vote anything to do with voting, even people who are administrative. If you're open carrying a firearm while talking to these people or while doing anything related to voting, you are intimidating, threatening, or coercing. And they're trying to make this look like this is a bit, like this is an issue, like gun owners are actually doing this sort of thing to influence the vote, so it's really a propaganda piece. The bill specifies that any individual who carries a visible firearm, imitation firearms, or get ready for this Gary Jeff, even a toy firearm, while interacting with or observing any of the specified election related activities is presumed to be engaging in intimidation.
Speaker 1: The mere presence of a gun is intimidation. A toy gun, a toy gun.
Speaker 8: It's actually listed in this bill, even a toy gun. So people to understand that when the average person sees a bill like this, the Freedom from Intimidation and Elections Act, they believe that this is an actual issue, like this is actually happening, because otherwise, why would legislation be needed. But the truth is it's not happening. It's not happening anywhere in the country. But these Democrats are doing this to make it look like gun owners are threatening people to vote a certain way and by using their guns as as you know, intimidation.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's I guess you better not break out a finger gun either.
Speaker 6: Exactly that.
Speaker 1: Dana was good Gun, bad Guy dot Com, the Loaded Mike, and more. Thank you so much for your time on this evening. It's my only nightcap this month, so I knew I had to have you on.
Speaker 8: Appreciate it well, thanks thanks for having me PO.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, you bet you. Andy Furman is up next with his weird take on the Masters. Just concluded sweet NFL.
Speaker 12: Draft the Cincinnati Bengals selects.
Speaker 9: He's a seven hundred w l W. Donuto's draft profile got more to Love two of the Cincinnati Bengals presented by oxy Your Gas and Pellow Windows and Doors up Greater Cincinnati at Northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Now here's Moe Egger with a name you need to know.
Speaker 23: It's yet another off season with the Bengals trying to fill their void at safety. The position was a weakness for the Bengals in twenty twenty four, and it could be an area they addressed early in this year's draft. If Georgia's Malachi Starts is available when the Bengals go on the clock with the seventeenth overall pick, he'll be very hard to pass up. Starts was a three year starter for the Bulldogs, and he established himself as a Swiss Army knife safety with keen instincts and elite ball skills. He was a two time AP All American in college and he was consistently quick to the ball, taking good angles, and he's also a reliable tackler. Evaluators would like to see Starts improve and run support, but they'll also point out his combination of football smarts and extreme athleticism. Keep an eye on Georgia's safety, Malachi start.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Smoe has more.
Speaker 9: Listen to the next draft profile on seven hundred w l W, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 4: Progressive commercial nose.
Speaker 1: Truckers can expect the unexpected when driving, but a little hands up like this would still be nice break breaker truck driver. I'm wl W Andy, currently being held hostage by the Sons and Daughters of Italy as we do this this interview, Andy is everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, everythus great. You know, I got to say certain things and I get to thumb up with a thumb down. But let me let me move on over here, because you know they got me for a couple of minutes. I don't know why my rate is not that expensive. I'm gonna have a take on the masks. Okay, that someone has never said before. I swim upstream a little bit, but I mean this from the heart. Okay. The masses to me is a very selective situation for selective people. Okay, it's an elitist situation. And I've got one step further. Even think golf is a sport, I think it's recreation. That's what golf is all right, Why can't be both crazy? Well, I don't know, but maybe it is, maybe it's not. I think it's more recreation than a sport because there's no controversy, there's no defense. You know, honestly, people go crazy. You don't what because the timing of the Masters is perfect? But do what I mean by that? It's too early to get excited about baseball. Really, it's after opening day, it's after the NCAA basketball tournament. There's a great window for the Masters. There's nothing else going on. That's what's this happening right there. And the fact that they use the term master. In this day and age, you can't have used the term master bedroom anymore.
Speaker 1: I use the terms. I use the term master all the time. Sometimes it relates to an activity. Andy, there's nothing wrong with the word master. There is nothing wrong with the Masters. And obviously you didn't even care about the incredible unfolding drama of the final round yesterday because you have this, oh, I would say, elitist tape on the Masters. The Masters is the greatest, is the greatest spectacle of the golf.
Speaker 3: Everybody who watches that as an elitist, you know, first of all, it's ninety percent white. That's basically what it is. It's there's too much money for the poor people like me to get involve to play golf, poor people like you. It's a selective it's a selective and elitist sport. That's basically what it is for the Bill cunning Hands of the world.
Speaker 1: The guy who shopped, the guy who shops for overpriced cigars on a on a weekly basis, the guy who's got a swimming pool, an in ground swimming pool in his backyard. You're not an elitist. You're one of the regular guys. Is that what you're trying to sell me?
Speaker 3: So that that's my set pool. It's not in a swimming pool, but that's another story.
Speaker 1: So that's the largest septic tank in Florence, is what it is.
Speaker 3: After you've been in it, you if you if you don't agree with me, that's a selective sport, that's a selective situation, then you're wrong. Okay, As I say, I saw the play, well I saw the end of the Then that was someone intrigued by it. And again I do it because that's that's my living sports. I want to know what's going on. I'm I, I'm I happy with them. Well, I like it. Know. Let me tell you something. If the Masters is in my backyard, I pulled the shades, That's what I would do. I pulled the shade. That's what I would do, and you wouldn't go. Let me ask you this. I'm gonna give you a couple of questions.
Speaker 1: Well, Andy, the players and the patrons would appreciate it if you draw your shades because nobody needs to see that.
Speaker 3: Would you rather the Masters or the Super Bowl? Well?
Speaker 1: I would I would rather be. I would rather be at the Masters.
Speaker 3: Actually draft, what the draft is the bigger?
Speaker 1: Who the hell wants to go to the draft unless you're want to a player in the first round gonna be taken to the first round. I don't care about the NFL Draft. I'll read the results later. I don't need to be there.
Speaker 3: You watch it next Thursday on the TV and see how many people are there, and every city's clamoring to get there that event in their city.
Speaker 24: Really, all right, I'm I'm not clamoring if it were if it were next door, if the NFL Draft was held in Cincinnati next year, I wouldn't even get close to the River.
Speaker 1: Andy. Again, it's a The NFL is a made for TV sport. And I'd rather be at the Masters in Augusta, Georgia at Augusta National than watching a bunch of heathens drunk Heathens. Uh root for for teams and players in the NFL Draft. I want the game. I don't care about.
Speaker 3: You about the opening day parade. How dare you talk about the side opening Day trade.
Speaker 1: I didn't mention the opening Day parade. I'd never mentioned the Opening Day pride.
Speaker 3: You mentioned drunks and heathens.
Speaker 1: Well, that could be opening Day, Andy Red's Opening Day, the all day long. That could be every Bengals game.
Speaker 3: Every every Bengals game. You're right about that. Yeah, and I'm not going to those. Okay, let me let me say. Do you hear what Howie Roseman, the vice president general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles said. And I'm sure he's a spokesman in a shield for the ownership of the Philadelphia Eagles. I don't think this decision came from him, but he said the Eagles will not even scout players who have been violent against women. Quote, I won't even watch them. It's just a deal breaker for us. He did it ten years ago and he learned from it. It just doesn't work for us. Can you believe that? But think about that if Mike Brown had that same thing as Joe Mixon in the Cincinnati Bengals and they drafted mixing.
Speaker 1: And nobody deserves a second chance. Ever, they make one mistake and they're on the blacklist forever in your book, right in Rosen's.
Speaker 3: Book, you know, and you better define the term mistake for me. You know, punching a woman in the face is a lot different than having a slur being said by Tom Brenneman did and when the mic was open, you know, he got a second chance. He got to wait a little too long in my book, but he probably got his second chance of us.
Speaker 1: I know you wanted to talk real briefly about Yeshiva University, which is an all Jewish university, the Maccabees and they've had something wonderful happen, and you want to do illustrate that for a moment.
Speaker 3: Highlight that they have been undefeated since last Tuesday.
Speaker 4: You know why.
Speaker 3: It was their first win since February twenty seventh, twenty twenty two. They lost one hundred straight baseball games and I'm trying to did some research on this. I don't know if the coach was fired or not. I doubt it. I doubt it. But you lose one hundred games in a row, something's got to say. I mean, really, how does that happen? I mean, what they what they do?
Speaker 1: Did they hire a new manager?
Speaker 2: College?
Speaker 3: Leman College? In the Bronx they beat Leman collor next year they put Leman on every day every day they played le Can you image those kids for Lema how they feel? I mean, really don't believe you're right about that. You talk about handicap, you know, yes, see if the university they should be able to play twelve against nine, that's what they should. They should have a handicap in baseball. Do you see the university.
Speaker 1: Speaking of handicaps? We're watching the commercial. It was a wonderful commercial during the Masters with the player a couple of players that were one armed and at the bar and somebody said, he hit it was one arm. I said, well he only had one arm, I said, And the great thing about golf is if you only have one arm and you're playing, people know what your handicap is immediately.
Speaker 3: No doubt about that I don't want to joke about it. I thinking of handicaps. You know, at the Point Perk and I work at the Point, they have a coffee shop one of the operations that they have one of the enterprises. We have a coffee shop, we have the laundry service, we have in apparel shop, a pretzel store. But in the coffee shop. They had a film and it was filmed last week and they entered a nationwide Easter Seals contest for disability, and there was a disability film. And it's wonderful, it really is, and hopefully they got some notoriety on that some press. Two young women did it. One was in a wheelchair, and obviously the one of the rulings of this film is that you have to have a handicapped person or persons to into this and be in the film. That's amazing. And they did the film at the Point per coffee shop last week. That's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and people with people with people with physical disabilities should be able to compete against other people with physical disabilities, just like biological men should never play against women. Ever.
Speaker 3: Ever, well, ever, I liked the way it's funny way back in the day when I was doing sports talk on seven hundred WLW, I forgot who was a gentleman's sports illustrated for I got who wasn't occumet to me eventually, and we had a big argument about a young man who was a wrestler, and he was he had a disability. I think he had no legs, maybe no legs in the ones, but he was wrestling and he was wrestling against people who are not disabled. And I had a big argument with him at the time, saying, I don't think it's fair. It's kind of like having men running against women. You just do it. So he said to me, no, he should have every opportunity in there was You know what, that's the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Every opportunity given the Kistia car, give them the keysty call and drive your car there.
Speaker 1: Really well, Andy, Andy misson And in spite, in spite of your obvious disabilities, I always love having you on. Thank you so much, sir.
Speaker 3: You're cutting new off. I have to get cutting New off.
Speaker 1: I have to go.
Speaker 3: I'll see you goodbye, bye.
Speaker 1: Furman seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: News Traffic and Weather News Radio, seven hundred w L w Cincinnati.
Speaker 20: A legal battle bruise in Norwood over funding with the eleven thirty re parts, I'm lee mawin breaking now, the Norwood City Schools are suing the City of Norwood over tax breaks for local developments that could leave public funding for the local schools tapped. Local property taxes are the district's most reliable and stable funding source, according to school board President Brandon Atwood. He adds a plan to give one hundred percent abatement for commercial properties could cost anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions.
Speaker 10: Of dollars in loss funds.
Speaker 20: Residents echo their frustrations at a March eleventh council meeting, saying some money out of any deal should at least go to the schools. The big development in this affair is Factory fifty two, which is an entertainment district near I seventy one with restaurants, shops, and apartments that are Wood school Board is calling on a temporary restraining order of the Ordnance. Now the latest traffic and weather together, no accidents to report. Traffic look and smooth around the tri State. You're looking great, Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: The latest forecast from the train heating and cooling weather set on news Radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 16: Partly cloudy overnight this temperatures will be a bit cooler, still seasonal, right around forty five, partly to mostly cloudy skies. We may see an isolated sprinkle or two, but the winds will be the biggest threat out of the west at about fifteen miles per hour as you go through Tuesday. Mostly cloudy through majority of the day with winds gusting up to thirty five miles per hour from the northwest. Only looking at a high of fifty four with a small chance of an isolated shower during the afternoon and evening from your Severe Weather station on nine First Warning meteorologists and spin Our news Radio seven hundred at WLW.
Speaker 10: Radar remains dry.
Speaker 20: It's fifty six degrees with mostly cloudy skies. Renewed worries about public officials receiving threats, and it stems from the fire at Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro's residence early Sunday morning. Judge Esther Sellas, who lost their son Daniel and the deliberate attack five years ago, talked to ABC's Lindsay Davis about new threats, which include pizza deliveries sent to judges using her son's name.
Speaker 25: We're in unprecedented times. I think we can look to statements that are coming out from our leaders and these positions of power and say we're in new territory when we see members of Congress calling for the impeachment of judges for doing their jobs.
Speaker 20: Meantime, bail denied for Cody Baumer. He's the suspect in the arson. He's expressed to stay for Democrats on social media.
Speaker 15: In the Oval office, President Trump on the incident, the attacker was not.
Speaker 4: A fan of Trump.
Speaker 26: I understand just from what I read, from what I've been told, the attacker basically wasn't a fan of anybody who's probably just a what job and certainly a thing like that cannot be allowed to happen.
Speaker 15: Balmer was denied. Bailey told the judge he had no mental health problems.
Speaker 20: With the report from Harrisburg ABC's Aaron Koturski, a Sunnment home completely gone after a Monday evening fire. The first calls came into the Ripley County dispatchers around five o'clock for a blaze near State Route one twenty nine in East Prattsburg Road. The Delaware Community Volunteer Fire Department and eight other companies responded, using a nearby pond to douase the fire. A ten roof hindered efforts to extinguish the flames from the walls and basement. One firefire was treated for heat exhaustion. The cause of the blaze still under investigation. A Monday morning crash in Turtle Creek Township leaves one person dead a second one injured. Happening on State Route seven forty one south of Green Tree Road close to eleven fifteen, a Ken Wharfs semi truck driver drove north and veered off the right side of the road, overcorrected, entered the path of David Wills going southbound. Wills was pronounced at the scene. The semi truck driver taken to Atrium Medical Center in Middletown with non life threatening injuries. The crash remains under investigation. Our next update is at midnight. I'mley Mawen News Radio seven hundred WLW
Speaker 4: Reds fans, bring your family and friends and