Speaker 1: Welcome to the quart Side Quantum Physics Podcast, an exploration of the fundamental structure of reality, where quantum laws govern matter, energy, and information. Here, uncertainty is a feature, not a flaw, and understanding begins at the smallest scales.
Speaker 2: I think everyone has that moment eventually. Oh yeah, you're sitting in traffic maybe, or you're just staring at a ceiling fan at three in the morning, and your brain just starts playing the what if game?
Speaker 3: Right, the what if game?
Speaker 2: What if I'd taken that job in Chicago, what if I hadn't ordered the shellfish?
Speaker 4: What if I'd turn left instead of right ten years ago.
Speaker 3: It's the road not taken exactly.
Speaker 2: It's the road not taken. And it's I think it's fundamental to how we process regret or relief or just you know, simple curiosity.
Speaker 4: It's part of the human condition, it is, and usually we.
Speaker 2: Treat these as fantasies, their mental exercises. In fiction, they're plot devices, you know, the mirror universe where everyone is evil and has a goateee.
Speaker 4: Of course, the goatee is the classic signifier.
Speaker 2: But the material we are looking at today suggests something, well, something pretty unsettling. It suggests that those what ifs aren't fantasies.
Speaker 3: At all, not even close.
Speaker 2: They might be the literal, mathematical architecture of our reality.
Speaker 3: It's a concept that You're right.
Speaker 4: It sounds like it belongs in a comic book, but it's actually one of the most rigorous, I would even say conservative, and definitely hotly debated ideas in modern physics.
Speaker 2: We are talking, of course, about the many world's interpretation of quantum mechanics. MWI and I want to set the table properly here because we've gone through a massive stack of sources, from Hugh Everett's original nineteen fifty seven thesis all the way to modern analysis by philosophers of science like David Wallace.
Speaker 3: It's a huge body of work.
Speaker 2: It is. And the goal today isn't to just say whoa parallel universes are cool?
Speaker 4: Right, that's the popside version. We aren't here for the sci fi tropes. Yeah, We're here to understand why why a serious sober physicist would look at the fundamental math of the universe and conclude that the only logical explanation is that everything that can happen does happen.
Speaker 2: And that is the crux of it, This theory wasn't invented to write a good story.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: It was invented to fix a problem, a massive glaring hole in our understanding of how the world actually works.
Speaker 3: That's the most important context. You have to start there.
Speaker 4: Many world creates a lot of let's say, philosophical headaches, a few, Yeah, but it solves a physics crisis, a genuine textbook breaking crisis.
Speaker 2: So let's get right into that. I want to start with the big headline claim, just to get my own head around it. Again. When we talk about many worlds or MWI, we are effectively saying that if I had a choice between coffee and tea this morning, and I picked coffee, Okay, there's a version of me physically just as real as I am right now, who picked.
Speaker 3: T Yes, that's the claim.
Speaker 2: And that version of me is existing right now, in this moment.
Speaker 4: Existing right now in a branch of what's called the universal wave function that is, for all intents and purposes, causally disconnected from the one you and I are currently recording it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is the claim, and it's a big one. So to understand how we could possibly get there, you're right. We have to start with the villain of the story. The villain, yes, the thing that many worlds is trying to defeat. And in our notes this is referred to as the quantum measurement problem.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: You really can't appreciate the elegance of the solution, Everett's solution unless you understand just how broken and frankly, how cluggy the standard explanation was.
Speaker 2: So let's go back to basics quantum mechanics. We know that at the subatomic level, electrons photons, the absolute building blocks of matter. Things do not behave like billiard balls.
Speaker 4: Right, It's a completely different rule book. In our macroscopic world, a billiard ball has a definite position and a definite speed.
Speaker 2: It is either here or it is there.
Speaker 3: You can point at it, you can point at it.
Speaker 4: But in the quantum world, before you measure a particle, it doesn't have those definite properties. It exists in something called a superposition.
Speaker 2: I've always visualized this as a haze or a cloud of possibility. The electron isn't a single point, it's a smear of probability.
Speaker 4: That's a good heuristic, It's a really good way to think about it Mathematically, it's described by something called a wave function, right, and this wave function assigns a number technically a complex number and amplitude to every possible location the electron could be found in.
Speaker 2: So the electron is effectively everywhere within that wave at.
Speaker 4: Once in a very real physical sense. Yes, it's not that we don't know where it is. Is that it doesn't have a single wear.
Speaker 2: Okay. So we have this wave, this cloud of possibility, and we have a law that governs how that wave moves and changes over time.
Speaker 3: We do the Schrodinger equation.
Speaker 2: The Shroding your equations.
Speaker 4: This is the bedrock, This is the absolute foundation. It is to quantum mechanics what Newton's laws of motion are to you throwing a baseball.
Speaker 2: And what's the key thing to understand about it?
Speaker 4: The key thing, the absolutely critical thing, is that the Schrodinger equation is deterministic and it is linear.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's break that down. Deterministic meaning if I know the state of the wave right now, I can predict exactly what it will look like in five.
Speaker 3: Minutes, exactly to the letter.
Speaker 4: It evolves smoothly, the wave ripples out. It might interfere with itself. It's changes shape, but it does so in a perfectly predictable, continuous way.
Speaker 2: It never jumps, it never snaps, never.
Speaker 3: The math is smooth as glass.
Speaker 2: And this is the big butt.
Speaker 3: Here's the problem, here's the crisis.
Speaker 2: When we actually look at an electron, when we hit it with a photon, when we measure it with a detector, we don't see a wave. We don't see a smear. We see a dot. We see it at one specific location.
Speaker 4: And that is a measurement problem in a nutshell. How do you get from smear to dot? The math says it should all be a smear our. I say it's always a dot.
Speaker 2: The math is smooth, but reality looks chunky.
Speaker 4: Chunky is a great word for it quantized.
Speaker 2: So the standard answer, the one that's been taught in textbooks for nearly a century now, is called the Copenhagen interpretation.
Speaker 4: Developed by the giants Nils Bohr, Werner Heisenberg and their colleagues.
Speaker 3: In the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 2: And what was their solution.
Speaker 4: Their solution was to introduce a new rule, a second rule, completely separate from the Schrodinger equation. They said that when a measurement is made by an observer, the wave function collapses.
Speaker 2: Collapses. It's such a violent word it is.
Speaker 4: It goes instantly from that spread out wave of possibilities to a single definite spike at one location, and all the other possibility they vanished.
Speaker 3: They vanished from reality instantly.
Speaker 2: This has always felt incredibly clumsy to me. It's just it's not elegant. It basically says the laws of physics work one way when no one is looking, this beautiful smooth wave like evolution, right, and then they work in a completely different, random, instantaneous way the moment I opened my eyes.
Speaker 4: It is clumsy. It's what physicists call ad hoc. It's a rule tacked onto the theory for the sole purpose of explaining why we don't see superpositions in our daily lives.
Speaker 2: But it's not in the math.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely not in the math.
Speaker 4: The Schrodinger equation doesn't have a collapse term. There's no variable for observers looking now.
Speaker 2: It effectively requires magic.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: It requires the act of observation, maybe even consciousness, to fundamentally alter physical reality instantaneously and in a way that literally violates the primary equation of the theory.
Speaker 4: And it creates this infamous Heisenberg cut problem, which is what it's a question of where you draw the line, where does the quantum world stop and the classical world begin. Is an atom quantum, yes, obviously, is a molecule made of atoms? Quantum is a virus, is a bacterium? Is a cat? Is a human observer? At what point does an object stop being a wave and become a thing that causes a wave to collapse?
Speaker 2: And Copenhagen can't answer that.
Speaker 4: It has no answer. It just says the cut is somewhere between the small thing and the big thing. It's completely arbitrary.
Speaker 2: So we have this situation where the core math is beautiful and continuous and predictive, but our interpretation of it requires this ugly, unexplained, arbitrary snap. Every time we decide to measure something exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a patch.
Speaker 4: It's a software fix for a bug in our understanding of reality, and a lot of physicists, even back then, we're deeply unhappy with it.
Speaker 2: So enter Hugh Everett the Third. It's nineteen fifty seven. He's a graduate student at Princeton studying under the famous John Wheeler. He looks at this whole mass.
Speaker 3: This whole Frankenstein's monster of a theory.
Speaker 2: And he proposes something just breathtakingly radical.
Speaker 4: He asks a question that is almost childlike in its simplicity, it's so powerful. He just asks, what if the Schrodinger equation is just true all the time, all the time, for everything, no exceptions.
Speaker 2: Meaning, what if the wave function never collapses?
Speaker 4: Right? What if we just take that second role, the collapse postulate, and we just delete it, We throw it in the trash. What if we assume that the wave evolves smoothly forever, even during a measurement.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's the whole problem, right, Yeah, if the waves never collapses, then the superposition never goes away.
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: The electron is still in multiple places at once, but I see it in one place. My detector gives me one click. How did Everett reconcile the math? Says it's everywhere with my eyes say it's here.
Speaker 3: This is his genius.
Speaker 4: This is where we have to talk about entanglement, right, This is the engine that drives the whole many world's idea.
Speaker 2: Usually when we hear entanglement, we think of that spooky action at a distance between two particles on our part.
Speaker 3: Einstein's famous phrase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but ever it applied it in a new way, right. He applied it to the observer.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 4: He took the Copenhagen interpretation's biggest problem, the special status of the observer, and turn it into his solution. He just treated the observer, the scientist, the camera as just another quantum system.
Speaker 2: Which I mean that just makes sense. We are made of atoms. Of course, atoms obey the laws of quantum mechanics. Therefore we obey the laws of quantum mechanics exactly.
Speaker 3: There is no cut, there is no classical world.
Speaker 4: It's all just quantum mechanics from the bottom all the way to the top.
Speaker 2: So let's trace the chain of events in Everetts view. Walk me through a measurement.
Speaker 4: Okay, you have an electron in a superposition. Let's say it's fifty percent chance of being at point A and fifty percent chance.
Speaker 3: Of being at point B.
Speaker 2: A simple two state system.
Speaker 3: Simple two state system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now, you the observer, want to find out where it is. So you set up a detector. Maybe it's a device that flashes a red light if the electron is at A and a green light if it's at bay. The electron interacts with your detector at that moment they become entangled. Now the detector is also in a superposition.
Speaker 2: So it's not just the electron anymore. The detector is now in a state of gonna flash red, gonna flash green.
Speaker 4: Precisely, position has grown to include the detector. Now the light from that flash travels to your eye.
Speaker 2: The photon hits my retina.
Speaker 4: Now your eye is entangled with the detector, which is entangled with the electron. Your retina is in a superposition of registered a red flash and registered a green flash, and.
Speaker 2: That signal goes to my brain.
Speaker 4: And now you are entangled your brain state. The specific pattern of neurons firing enters a superposition. There is a state of you that saw the red light and thinks ah, the electron was at A in a state of U that saw the green light and thinks ah, it was at B.
Speaker 2: So the superposition didn't disappear, It didn't collapse, It just grew, It spread, it.
Speaker 4: Spread, it engulfed you. The wave function of the entire universe now contains two distinct components, two branches, and.
Speaker 2: In one component there is the U who saw a and in the other a U who.
Speaker 3: Saw B both physically real.
Speaker 2: And because the schroding Your equation is linear, these two components, these two branches, they just they continue to evolve independently from that point on.
Speaker 3: That's the key.
Speaker 4: Once they split, for all practical purposes, they don't interact anymore. This is why it's called the many world's interpretation. It's not that the universe physically splits apart like a log being chopped by an axe.
Speaker 2: That's the sci fi image it is.
Speaker 4: It's more like the universal wave function differentiates into non interacting branches, each of which contains a consistent version of reality, each of which feels from the inside like a complete universe.
Speaker 2: This brings us inevitably to the cat. I feel like we are legally required by the laws of physics podcasting to discuss Schrodinger's cat.
Speaker 4: We can't avoid the cat. It's the most famous thought experiment in history.
Speaker 2: So the classic setup a cat in a box. There's a single radioactive atom, there's a Geiger counter. If the atom decays, it triggers the.
Speaker 4: Counter, which releases a hammer, which smashes a vial of poison, and the.
Speaker 2: Cat dies A bit morbid but okay, if the atom doesn't decay, nothing happens.
Speaker 4: Cat lives, right, and you leave it in there for exactly one half life, So there's a perfect fifty to fifty chance of decay.
Speaker 2: And since the atom is a quantum system, it's not decayed or not decayed. It's in a quantum superposition of decayed ind not decayed.
Speaker 4: Which means the entire system in the box becomes entangled. The Geiger counter is in a superposition of triggered and not triggered. The hammers fallen and not fallen, the poison is released and not released.
Speaker 2: And therefore the cat ends up in a superposition of dead and.
Speaker 4: Alive, which is the absurd conclusion Schrodinger was trying to point out. He was trying to show how ridiculous the Copenhagen view was when you scaled it up right.
Speaker 2: He was saying, look, if you take your math seriously, you get this nonsense. A cat that's both dead and alive.
Speaker 4: And in the Copenhagen view, the absurdity is resolved.
Speaker 3: When you open the box.
Speaker 4: The active observation forces the universe to choose snap, the wave function collapses, the cat is definitively dead. Or are definitively alive.
Speaker 2: But in everts view.
Speaker 4: In everts view, the universe makes no choice. The math is never absurd. The math is the reality. The atom is both. The poison is released and not released.
Speaker 3: The cat is dead and alive.
Speaker 2: And when I open the lid.
Speaker 4: You become part of the system. You become entangled with the contents of the box. The superposition just expands one final time to include you.
Speaker 2: So the universe now contains a branch.
Speaker 4: A branch with a dead cat and a very sad observer who is now looking at.
Speaker 2: A dead cat in another branch, and.
Speaker 4: A completely separate branch with a live cat and a very happy, relieved observer.
Speaker 2: And the crucial point here, the thing that's so hard to grasp, is that both of those observers are me.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're both you. They both share your exact memories up to the very moment of the split. They both feel like the one and only real you.
Speaker 2: The you looking at the live cat feels like the only you. He has no idea his counterpart.
Speaker 4: Exists, and the you looking at the dead cat feels like the only you. He is now living in a world where the cat died and he has no access to the reality where it lived.
Speaker 2: This solves the measurement problem because there is no measurement problem.
Speaker 4: There's no collapse. The math just keeps running.
Speaker 3: It's seamless.
Speaker 2: It creates a perfectly seamless deterministic physics. The entire wave function of the universe evolves according to one single rule.
Speaker 4: But the cost, the cost is that we have to accept that all these other outcomes, all these other branches, actually exist. They are not possibilities, they are realities, which.
Speaker 2: Brings up the immediate subjective objection, the thing everyone asks.
Speaker 3: First, I know exactly what you're.
Speaker 2: Going to say. I don't feel like I'm splitting. If I'm constantly branching into literally billions of copies every second, shouldn't I feel I don't know, stretched or diluted or something.
Speaker 4: It's a very common intuition, a very natural one. But the physics actually explains precisely why you don't feel it. It's a phenomenon called decoherence.
Speaker 2: We see this term a lot in the sources. It's a more modern addition to Everett's original idea. Right, he didn't have the full picture.
Speaker 4: That's right, the full mathematical theory of decoherence was really developed in the seventies and eighties, and it's what makes MWI a truly robust modern theory. It's the wall between the worlds.
Speaker 2: So what is it? How does it work?
Speaker 4: Think of it this way. Why do we see weird quantum effects like superposition and interference in tiny isolated atoms but not in big things like bowling balls, Because they're it's not just the size, it's the interaction. Big things are constantly interacting with the environment, right.
Speaker 2: Air molecules, photons from the lights, thermal radiation. They're constantly bouncing off us.
Speaker 4: Billions and billions of them every nanosecond, and all those tiny interactions carry away information. They scramble the phases of the different parts of the wave function. This process is decoherence.
Speaker 2: Okay, scramble the phases. I like the analogy of the radio stations that was used in one of the papers. Can we unpack that?
Speaker 4: It's a perfect analogy. Imagine you have two radio stations. If they are broadcasting on frequencies that are very very close together, say one on one point five FM and one on one point.
Speaker 2: Five to one FM, You'll get in inference.
Speaker 4: You'll get interference you'll hear a staticky mess. You'll hear bits of both at once. That's like a quantum superposition where the branches are still coherent. They can still interact and interfere with each other, like.
Speaker 2: In the famous double flit experiment, where an electron wave interferes.
Speaker 3: With itself exactly.
Speaker 4: But as the system you the cat, the detector interacts with the environment, the branches get kicked by all those air molecules and photons, and it causes them to drift apart in frequency.
Speaker 2: They become mathematically orthogonal. Orthogonal is the technical term. It's a fancy word from geometry that just means they're at right angles to each other in this abstract mathematical space.
Speaker 3: But they have zero overlap.
Speaker 2: Zero overlap. Yeah. Once decoherence happens, which for a macroscopic object like a cat or a person, takes an unthinkably tiny fraction of a second, the live cat branch and the dead cat branch are completely out of phase with each other. They can no longer affect each other in any way. So if I am the live cat observer, the reason I don't see that goes to the dead cat is this reason I don't hear ninety eight point five FM when my radio is tuned to one on one point five FM.
Speaker 4: It's a perfect analogy. The radio waves for that other station are in the room. They're passing through your body right now. They're physically present.
Speaker 2: But my receiver, my reality isn't in tuned to them.
Speaker 4: You are dynamically isolated from them. They can't interfere, they can't make your speaker vibrate. They are, for all intents and purposes, in a separate universe.
Speaker 2: So the worlds aren't floating in bubbles in outer space. No, they are superimposed right here, right now, in this room.
Speaker 4: They occupy the same space. They just don't interact.
Speaker 2: That is I mean, it's logically sound, but it is emotionally terrifying.
Speaker 4: It's what makes the theory so robust. Though it's not an extra assumption, it's a direct consequence of the Schrewdinger equation itself. It explains why the world looks classical while we see one definite thing, even if the underlying reality is this massive, branching quantum wave.
Speaker 2: But let's play Devil's advocate for a bit, because this theory is still very contras It's not like every physicist is signed on. The sources identify two big persistent attacks on MWI, right, the classics, the probability problem and the extravagance complain, let's.
Speaker 4: Tackle extravagance first, because it's the more philosophical one. This is basically the Oukham's razor argument.
Speaker 2: Ouckham's razor says, the simplest explanation is usually the best one.
Speaker 4: Don't multiply entities beyond necessity, And.
Speaker 2: Critics look at MWI and say, hold on, you're proposing an infinite or near infinite number of universes branching off every microsecond, just to explain where a single electron is. That is the opposite of simple, That is ontologically bloated.
Speaker 4: It's often called ontological extravagance. Yeah, things wasteful. Why create all these worlds?
Speaker 2: But the MWI defenders and evert yourself, even back in the fifties have a very clever rebuttal to.
Speaker 3: This they do.
Speaker 4: They argue that you have to distinguish between the complexity of the theory and the complexity of the world the theory describes.
Speaker 2: Okay, unpack that difference for us.
Speaker 4: The theory of many worlds is incre ardibly simple. You could write it on a napkin. It consists of one equation, the Schrodinger equation.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: No collapse postulate, no hidden variables, no measurement rules, no arbitrary cut between quantum and classical. Just one beautiful linear law that always applies.
Speaker 2: So the input the theoretical machinery is as simple as it could possibly be.
Speaker 4: But that simple input, when you let it run, generates a fantastically complex output the multiverse.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now compare that to the Copenhagen interpretation.
Speaker 4: Copenhagen gives you a simple output one world the one we.
Speaker 2: See, which feels less extravagant.
Speaker 4: But to get that simple output, the theory has to be a mess. You need the Schrodinger equation plus the collapse postulate, plus a definition of measurement, plus a rule for where to place the Heisenberg cut.
Speaker 2: So the argument is which is more parsimonious simple laws that generate a complex universe or complex messy ad hoc laws to force the universe to stay simple?
Speaker 4: Exactly, and Everett argues that the entire history of science has been about finding the simplest possible laws, even if they reveal the universe to be larger and stranger than we were comfortable with.
Speaker 2: That's a great point when we realized the Earth wasn't the center of the solar.
Speaker 3: System, a perfect example.
Speaker 2: The math game much simpler. Heliocentrism is mathematically cleaner than the epicycles of geocentrism, but the universe suddenly got way way bigger, and we feeled a lot less important.
Speaker 4: Precisely, MWI is just the ultimate extension of that Copernican principle. We aren't special. Our outcome isn't the only one. We aren't the only show in town.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's a very compelling defense for the extravagance charge, But the probability problem seems stickier. This one actually gave me a headache while I was reading about it.
Speaker 4: It's the technical achilles heel of the theory, and it's where most of the modern debate happens.
Speaker 2: So here's my understanding of it. In standard quantum mechanics, we use something called the Born rule to calculate probability correct It says that the probability of an outcome is related to the amplitude of it. It's part of the wave function. If the wave amplitude is big, the probability is high.
Speaker 4: Probability equals amplitude squared to be precise, and it works perfectly. It's one of the most well tested rules in all of science.
Speaker 2: Right, But in many worlds everything happens. If I flip a quantum coin in one branch, it's heads, in another its tails. Both outcomes exist with one hundred percent certainty in the multiverse as a whole. Yes, So how can I say there's a fifty percent chance of heads. The concept of chance seems to lose all meaning if every outcome is guaranteed to occur somewhere, or thirty percent chance of rain.
Speaker 3: This is a deep, deep problem.
Speaker 4: If all branches are equally real, why do we experience the world as if they aren't. Why do we experience the statistics of the born rule?
Speaker 2: Right? If I buy a lottery ticket, there is a branch where I win. I know that for a fact in mwy So why do I feel correctly that I am almost certainly going to find myself in a branch where I lose?
Speaker 4: The modern defense, and this is largely from philosophers. A physic like David Wallace and Simon Saunders relies on something called self locating uncertainty and the concept of branch weight.
Speaker 2: Branch weight. Okay, this sounds like we're literally weighing the universes.
Speaker 4: In a sense, you are go back to the wave function. It's not just a flat list of possibilities.
Speaker 3: It has a shape.
Speaker 4: Some parts of the wave are thicker than others, they have a higher amplitude.
Speaker 2: Is this the loaf of bread analogy?
Speaker 4: I saw, Yes, I think that's a great one. Imagine the total wave function of the universe. After you buy a lottery ticket is a giant loaf of bread. After the draw, you slice it. One slice, the lost the lottery slice is ninety nine point nine nine nine nine nine percent of.
Speaker 2: The loaf, and the one the lottery slice is a microscopics.
Speaker 4: Liver, a tiny crumb. Now, both slices exist, both are real.
Speaker 2: But the argument is that you, the rational agent who is about to experience one of these outcomes, should care about the measure the weight of the brand you are ending up in.
Speaker 4: It's about where the bulk of U flows. The probability isn't about if an outcome happened, It's about what fraction of the total unice ends up in that outcome.
Speaker 2: So it's not about if it happens, it's about where the bulk of reality flows exactly.
Speaker 4: Philosophers like David Wallace argue this using decision theory. They basically prove that if you want to be a rational actor in a branching universe, if you want to make good bets, the only logical strategy is to bet according to the weight of the branches, which just happens to match the Born rule.
Speaker 2: So when I say there was a one percent chance of this happening, what I'm really saying is after this event, one percent of the total stuff of the multiverse, including me, will be in branches where this happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, and therefore you should expect to find yourself to wake up in the next moment in the thicker branch. It's a very subtle argument, and frankly, not everyone buys it. It's still hotly debated, but it's the best and most rigorous answer MWI has.
Speaker 2: It redefines probability from how often does this happen to how much me ends up there.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect summary.
Speaker 2: So okay, let's briefly look at the alternatives, because is not the only game in town. If we don't like it and we hate the magic of Copenhagen, what's left on the menu.
Speaker 4: Well, the sources we looked at highlight two main contenders that try to offer a different way out, pilot wave theory and objective Clacks theories.
Speaker 2: Let's start with pilotwave. This is also called Bohemian mechanics.
Speaker 4: Right after David Bone. This theory tries to restore the classical particle. It says, look, the electron is a real particle and it is in one definite place at all times, so no superposition of location, no superpositional location. But it says the particle is guided by a pilot wave that is also real and tells it where to go.
Speaker 2: So the wave is real and the particle is like a tiny surfer riding on it.
Speaker 4: That's a great way to put it. This gets rid of the multiverse and the measurement problem. There is only one world and the particle is always in it. But the price you.
Speaker 3: Pay is steep.
Speaker 2: What's the catch?
Speaker 4: It requires extreme non locality. The pilot wave has to instantly know the position of every other particle in the U S universe to correctly guide your one particle that.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it clashes pretty hard with Einstein's relativity, which says nothing can travel faster than light.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 4: It's very, very hard to reconcile with Einstein, and to many physicists it feels a bit artificial, like you're forcing the universe to be classical just because you want it to be by inventing this extra pilot wave entity.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's one and the other was objective collapse.
Speaker 4: These are theories with names like GRW. They take a different approach. They say, maybe the Schrodinger equation is just slightly wrong.
Speaker 2: WHOA, Okay, that is a bold move changing the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: They add a tiny new mathematical term to the equation, and this new term basically says, every once in a while, completely on its own, a superposition just collapses randomly, no observer needed.
Speaker 2: So it's a built in self destruct mechanism for superpositions.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's set up so that for a single particle, this spontaneous collapse would almost never happen, but for a big object with trillions of particles, a collapse is guaranteed to happen almost instantly.
Speaker 2: So that's how it explains why we don't see cats and superpositions exactly.
Speaker 4: And the real beauty of this idea is that it's testable. If the math is different, we should be able to design an experiment to measure it. Have we we have, And that's the problem for these theories. We keep doing experiments making larger and larger objects into superpositions and keeping them isolated, and we never see them collapse spontaneously.
Speaker 2: So we're pushing the boundary.
Speaker 4: We've done it with massive molecules, things with thousands of atoms. They still act like perfect quantum waves. So the experimental evidence is actually squeezing the objective collapse theories out of existence.
Speaker 2: The more we confirm that the schroding your equation is correct for bigger and bigger things, the more many worlds just looks like the default truth you're left with if you take the math series.
Speaker 4: That's exactly the modern argument for it. It's the simplest theory whose predictions haven't been falsified.
Speaker 2: This leads us to the legacy of the theory. Touch on the personal story of Hugh Everett again, because it's honestly tragic.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: Here's a guy who, in his mid twenties as a grad student, solves what is arguably the biggest conceptual problem in all of physics. He writes this brilliant, revolutionary thesis, and the reaction from the physics community crickets, crickets, or worse, open mockery. Neils Bohr, who was basically the pope of quantum physics at the time, completely dismissed it without even really engaging with it.
Speaker 2: His advisor, the famous John Wheeler, he tried to protect him right, but he was also caught in the middle.
Speaker 4: Wheeler was a diplomat. He saw the genius in Everett's idea, but he also wanted to stay on good terms with Bohr and the Copenhagen establishment, so he made effort rewrite the thesis. They cut out all the most radical and most exciting language about splitting worlds and observers, and they called it the relative state formulation. They made it as dry and obscure and mathematically dense as possible.
Speaker 2: It buried the lead.
Speaker 4: They completely buried it, and Everett, who was by all accounts a proud and sensitive man, was just discouraged. He basically said, fine, if you don't want my idea, and he walked away from academic physics.
Speaker 2: He went to work for the Pentagon doing Cold war analysis.
Speaker 4: He did he became a defense analyst. He used his incredible mathematical genius to model nuclear war strategies and weapons systems. He spent the rest of his life in a suit chainsmoking calculating megadeths, while his theory about the fundamental nature of reality gathered dust on a shelf.
Speaker 2: And he died young, didn't he before the theory really started to get popular.
Speaker 4: He died of a heart attack in nineteen eighty two at age fifty one, just as the theory was starting to be rediscovered and championed by people like Bryce DeWitt, who coined the name Many Worlds, and a young David Deutsch. Everett never saw his vindication.
Speaker 2: Speaking of David Deutsch, this is a connection I hadn't made before going through the sources, the really strong link between Many Worlds and the field of quantum computing.
Speaker 4: This is a crucial modern piece of the puzzle. David Deutsch's one of the founding fathers of quantum computing, and he is a die hard, unapologetic proponent of Many Worlds.
Speaker 2: Why what's the connection? I mean, it seems like two separate fields.
Speaker 4: Think about how a quantum computer actually works. It's not just a faster classical computer. It doesn't just check one answer at a time. It puts its bits, its quibits, into a massive superposition to check millions or billions of possible answers simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Right, it's parallel processing on an exponential scale.
Speaker 4: So Deutsch asks a very simple, very practical, almost engineering level question, where are those calculations actually happening?
Speaker 2: I see where this is going.
Speaker 4: If you have a quantum computer chip with just three hundred interacting quibits, it can perform more simultaneous calculations than there are atoms in the entire visible universe.
Speaker 2: That's a staggering number.
Speaker 4: It is, so Deutsch asks, if there is only one universe, how can that one little silicon chip, which is made of a finite number of atoms, hold and process a quantity of information larger than the universe itself.
Speaker 2: It doesn't fit. The numbers don't add up.
Speaker 4: Deutsch argues that the only logical explanation is that the computer is outsourcing the work. It's running the calculations and the other parallel branches of the multiverse, and then using quantum interference to bring the results back together in our branch to give us the final answer.
Speaker 2: So, in his view, a working quantum computer is functional experimental proof of the multiverse exactly.
Speaker 4: He says, you ask where the computation happened, I can tell you where the answer came from. It came from those other worlds that you can't see. It's a very bold, but very concrete claim.
Speaker 2: That creates a tangible bridge between this high concept, almost metaphysical idea and the technology we are building in labs right now.
Speaker 4: It takes it out of the realm of philosophy and puts it into the realm of engineering.
Speaker 2: I want to spend our last section talking about the implications, because if we accept this, if we just provisionally accept that the math is real and this is how the universe works, it changes our understanding of everything time identity debt, meaning.
Speaker 4: It rewrites the human condition from the ground up.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the arrow of time. We all have this incredibly strong perception of time as flowing forward. The past is fixed and singular, the future is open and full of possibilities. How does MWI explain that in a.
Speaker 3: Really beautiful way.
Speaker 4: Actually in MWY, the branching structure of the universe is.
Speaker 3: The arrow of time.
Speaker 2: Explain that.
Speaker 4: Think of the multiverse as a tree. At the bottom, you have a single trunk. That's the big bang, that's the past. It's a state of low entropy, high order, a single history. As you move up the trunk, as time moves forward, it splits into branches, and those branches split into smaller branches, and they split again and again into a vast complex canopy.
Speaker 2: So the future is the canopy.
Speaker 4: The future is high entropy precisely because it is highly branched. There are vastly more ways for the universe to be than there were in the past. And you can't go back in time for the same reason you can't climb down a tree and expect all all the branches to magically merge back into one single twig.
Speaker 2: The structure of the multiverse itself defines the direction of time.
Speaker 4: It connects thermodynamics and the second law with quantum mechanics in a really profound way.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful, it really is. But then we get to identity, and this is the part that I think really freaks people out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The question which one is the real me?
Speaker 4: And the simple and very unsettling answer is they are.
Speaker 2: All you, but they're so different. In one branch, I'm a millionaire because I bought the right stock. In another, I'm homeless. In one, I died in a car crash this morning. How can all of those be the same person?
Speaker 4: Because you share a common causal past up until the moment of the split, the stock purchase, getting in the car, you're the exact same physical entity. You share every memory, every scar, every childhood trauma, every thought.
Speaker 2: So I'm not a single person moving through time. I'm more like a colony or a process that's constantly diversifying.
Speaker 4: You are a branching system. That's the best way to think about it. It completely dissolves the class classical idea of a singular, indivisible soul or self that persists unchanged through time.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that old philosophical question about the transporter and Star.
Speaker 3: Trek, the teleporter problem.
Speaker 2: Yet, if it scans you, destroys the original, and reassembles you somewhere else, is it still you? MWA says, it copies you, doesn't destroy the original, and both are you?
Speaker 4: And this leads to some very heavy ethical questions that philosophers are grappling with. How so, let's say I do something reckless, like I decide to drive home drunk. In a single universe world, I might get lucky, I might get home safe, and I think few got away with it. I count that as a win. But in the multiverse, in the multiverse, because there's a quantum randomness in the swerve of my hands or the path of another car, you have guaranteed that in some branches you killed someone, you have created worlds of tragedy.
Speaker 2: So moral responsibility becomes about branch weight. You have a responsibility to act in a way that minimizes the measure the total amount of the suffering worlds exactly.
Speaker 4: You want to act in a way that maximizes the good branches.
Speaker 3: So to speak.
Speaker 4: It forces you to think about consequences not as maybe, but as somewhere.
Speaker 2: That is a heavy, heavy burden.
Speaker 4: It is, But on the other side of that coin, it also offers a strange comfort also regret. We started this whole conversation talking about the road not taken. What if I had done X? MWI says you did do X is not here, not in this branch. Right, you don't have to mourn the lost potential as something that vanished from existence. That potential was realized. The girl you didn't ask out in another branch. You asked her out, and maybe you're happily married. The book you didn't write, you wrote it and it was a bestseller.
Speaker 2: It's all happening. The symphony is playing every possible note.
Speaker 4: We just only get to hear one melody line at a time.
Speaker 2: As we wrap up, I want to leave the listener with a final thought that I found in the notes, which really hammered this home for me. It's about the location of these other worlds.
Speaker 4: This is the thing people get wrong most often thanks to science fiction.
Speaker 2: We watch movies and we think parallel universes are somewhere else, in another dimension through glowing portal, a galaxy, far far away.
Speaker 3: Right, spatially distant.
Speaker 2: But if Many Worlds is correct, they aren't far away at all. They are here.
Speaker 4: They are less than an atom's width away from you. They are right where you are.
Speaker 2: So the version of me that ordered the tea instead of the coffee this morning, huh, he is sitting in this exact chair right now, he.
Speaker 4: Is in the same position in space, occupying the same volume of space. The wave function of his body completely overlaps with the wave function of your body.
Speaker 2: But because we have decohered.
Speaker 4: Because your atoms and his atoms are massively out of phase with each other, you pass right through each other like ghosts. The radio waves of his reality are washing over you this very second, but you can't tune in.
Speaker 2: It makes the room feel very crowded.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, it is crowded.
Speaker 4: We are surrounded by infinite variations of ourselves, enacting every possible tree, tragedy and triumph silently, invisibly, right under our noses.
Speaker 2: And every time a neuron fires in your brain to make a decision, every time a cosmic raise zigs instead of zags, you are adding another ghost to the room.
Speaker 4: You are building the multiverse moment by moment.
Speaker 2: Well, on that particularly existential note, I think I'm gonna go flip a coin and consciously split the universe.
Speaker 3: Into make it a good one.
Speaker 2: This has been mind bending. Thanks for walking through it with me.
Speaker 3: Always is my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Catch him, that's branch