Speaker 1: Kaitlyn Richardson. She is with the Daily Caller News Foundation and a reporter, and we're going to talk a little Matt Gates as AG. I do want to throw two things out for you. Republican David McCormick has won the Senate seat that was being held by Senator Bob Casey. Republicans take another Senate seat to pad their lead. And if you missed it, Trump has announced rfk Junior for Health and Human Services Secretary. So two of those things happened during the show. Just want to make sure we get those in. Caitlin, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me on. So give me your.
Speaker 1: View on the Matt Gates appointment to Attorney General.
Speaker 2: Right, So, what I've been hearing in what a lot of people have been expressing is this was not a pick that was on anybody's radar. I think there's a lot of surprise surrounding this nomination and a lot of questions about how it'll go, whether it'll whether he'll be able to be confirmed in the Senate, whether the I thinks report will still come out. There's a lot of questions right now during this nomination. But I think what Trump was trying to do in nominating Matt Gates again is another question, but it seems to me from conversations I've had that you know, Gates is an outsider, He's a disruptor, and I think that's something that Trump is looking for in the Department of Justice. He wants someone who's going to implement his agenda. He's going to be loyal, and I think there's some concern that there might be career staffs who are working against him, and he wants someone who's going to be tough and able to manage that and get through what he wants done.
Speaker 1: I think the second part of that is correct, that he wants somebody who's going to be tough, who's going to be strong, who's going to you know, strip the doj of its left wing politicization. But I got to tell you, I feel like Matt Gates is the sacrificial lamb in this appointment side, that he's going to suck up all the negative oxygen. And the fact that he immediately resigned from the House just before the House Ethics Committee report was supposed to come out, it just calls this whole thing into question. Although I also kind of feel like this is one of those moves where Trump is utilizing a kind of Trumpian strategicy, that he's using this appointment to get some other something done, maybe a mass resignation at the Department of Justice before the Attorney General takes over. I don't know, but this certainly seems like it came out of left field.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think that's certainly a possibility that I've heard as well, that nominating Matt Gates was, you know, potentially a way to get another nominee and later on, whether that be Mark Paletta or not Lager, someone else who has been one of the more expected candidates. I think also this could draw attention away from his other nominees. Know, all the focuses on Matt Gates and the media's attention and the Senate's attention, I think some of the other nominees, which we're also unexpected, might not get that same criticism, And that is a possibility. Again, we don't fully know what President Trump is thinking when he puts his nomination through yet, but there aren't certainly a lot of questions that were made to be answered.
Speaker 1: Is there any scuttle but in DC, any rumors about what's in that House Ethics report? Has anything come out leaked or in otherwise that you know of, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know yet that it has leaked. Obviously, it was supposed to there's vote was supposed to be on Friday for it to come out, and as we mentioned, his red insignation is kind of through rent in that. But it does seem that we're going to see it eventually, Like I think that it probably will leak. Obviously a lot of senators have interested in seeing that, I see everyone else. So it's like we will. We'll know at some point, but not now. Well.
Speaker 1: CBS News right now is reporting that the Ethics Committee is going to be meeting to schedule a vote on Friday to decide whether or not to release its report. So we'll hopefully know something soon, and I'm guessing they're going to act quickly if there's any there there, you know what I mean, Like, if if there's something in this report, then we're going to see it right away. If it just peters out, if it just kind of goes away, then I would think there wouldn't be that much in the report, And they're using that we don't know to cast doubt over Matt Gates. I mean, that's the only thing that I could imagine if they don't release it, it just honestly makes them look kind of guilty without actually proving anything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think this will be interesting to watch play out. This is a very important appointment for President Trump, rest or most close to having have expressed a desire to combat censorship, combat laws here that he experienced over the past couple of years, to pardon January sixth defendants. These are all goals that you want to accomplish through DJ. So whoever end up finally in this position is going to be very important.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate the insight. This is going to be a very interesting confirmation hearing to watch. Caitlin Richardson from the Daily Caller News Foundation, thanks for your time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you.