Speaker 1: We're gonna start calling this podcast. Please don't use my name, which would be a good name for a podcast. So I just think, please don't use my name.
Speaker 2: Everything is anonymous that you submit, Please.
Speaker 3: Don't use my name.
Speaker 1: Can I something interesting we brought up on the show? But on Facebook? What should we talk about less on the show? And one of the things that people that they I love it and some people love it. And I think it's kind of like split is no Phone Screen or Friday? And I'm not sure what reminded me of this, but on No Phone Screen or Friday. Some people love it, some people hate it. One of the things that people don't like is kids calling in on no Phone Screen or Friday, because you know, mom will have little Jacqueline in the back seat and be like, let's get Jacqueline on the radio. So it's like, hello, you're on the radio. What's your name? Silence, silence, silence. Hello are you there, Jackeline? Hi, Jacqueline?
Speaker 3: How are you? Tell them? How old are you? How old are you? Jacqueline? Tell them how old you are? Five? And and people hate it? Yeah, people hate it.
Speaker 4: I mean it's because the kids don't want to necessarily be on the radio, but the moms are yeah, you know, it would be cute if my kid was on.
Speaker 1: And so people have said no phone screener of Friday, you can't have kids on. But I think the only because I don't want to hurt kids feelings say no kids because they're adorable and they listen to mom, and I don't want them to think that that mean old DJ on the radio doesn't want them to be on the radio. But I think maybe we can make a rule on no phone screen of Friday. You've got to be at least sixteen years old to call in, Jenny, what.
Speaker 5: Do you think I think that's fair. I just think that a lot of times we make rules and people don't follow them. Yeah, the amount of times people call in and plug some you know, a little tournament their kids in over the weekend, or like shout outs and stuff.
Speaker 6: So I think you can do it. I just don't know that at all.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: I have an idea.
Speaker 1: We have an obnoxious rules violation horn. Okay, so whenever somebody violates the rules with a kid on the phone or plugging their event or uh yeah, I want to do a shout out to my son Bobby hang his violation horn and then we hang up, and then it becomes kind of funny, sure, rather than cruel.
Speaker 4: See, I agree that I think it's annoying when the kids are on and they don't know what to say because they don't know how to talk on the phone. But one time, I swear we had like a twelve year old boy call and he was hilarious because he had a plan. And I think even adults call in without a plan for what to say, and so like, if you're a kid and you have a plan, by all means, call in.
Speaker 2: Because that kid was hilarious.
Speaker 1: I remember him. But that is a very rare occurrence. And I love kids, and I love the fact that they're listening to with their mom or dad or whatever. But you know, we want to keep doing no Phone Screener Friday because it fills a hole. Jenny is like, yes, this producer of the show, Jenny loves something that fills those shows, the holes in the show. So all right, here's an email, and it starts, don't say my name, Please don't say my name. Today the gods were looking out for me. I was driving home from work and I usually speed. However, for some reason, I look in the mirror, and from far away, I'm wondering, is that a cop car behind me? Of course I slow down so I'm only going about five over. Now the cop creeps up closer and bam, it is a police car. The universe was looking out for me. I usually never look behind me when I'm driving on that highway. I don't know what led me to look more closely behind me today, but the speeding ticket did not catch up to me this time. Now I must ask you you ever had a time when the universe was looking out for you? Have a great rest of the day.
Speaker 3: Signed.
Speaker 1: Please don't say my name off the top of my head. No, I really I I I'm sure there have been times, but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Jenny, have you got anything.
Speaker 5: No that's like a that's something I'd have to rack my brain on. I'm sure there are, I just can't think of one. I think the police one has happened to everybody where. You'll like, you know, be putting something into your GPS and then put your hands back on the wheel, look forward, and then see a cop car and you're like, oh man, good thing.
Speaker 2: I wasn't putting this thing into my GPS.
Speaker 3: Right when I right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like I think those pop up and you're like, oh cop, wow, good thing.
Speaker 2: I'm not speeding right now. But there's plenty of times that you drive by cops you don't even realize it.
Speaker 4: So it's just because you see them that you're like, I've been the universe is looking out for me.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just a coincidence.
Speaker 1: I was driving into work one time. I was coming down I think on Northwest Boulevard in Plymouth. I used to live on fifty fourth Avenue North in Plymouth, and I'm coming into work. It's dark, and I saw something. I don't know what it was that I saw, but it made me slow down. And an instant, an instant later, a deer ran in front of my car. Oh So I don't know what it was that made me slow down, but I guess maybe that was the universe looking out for me.
Speaker 2: And get a deer and for the deer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for that one. Let's go to the next one. This is from Nicole obligatory, longtime listener, first time writer mention. I've been meaning to write in for years. I'm finally getting around to it. After telling myself I got to share this story with Day before he retires. I'll do my best to keep it short. I'm Alison's age so which means about thirty two. Grew up in Door County, Wisconsin, in a family that didn't have TV. Because we didn't have TV, my siblings, three of us spend our time free time that would most likely been watching TV watching YouTube videos on the family computer. Well, it was around two thousand and seven. I'm in high school. We started across your parody the Hollister song, and we had no idea who Katie will be or Dave Ryan was, but the song quickly became a staple in our house. My dad, who is sixty now, found it hilarious and was always quote and still does quote the Oh my god, Alison, give me a break. We're on a beer budget. You got champagne tastes as he was is a proud frugal individual, which is the reason we didn't pay for cable in the first place.
Speaker 2: Huh Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: And by the way, when I do that line, it's like, oh my god, alis soon give me a break. Great, because I'm trying to do the ludicrous place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Fast forward to early twenty fifteen. Moved to Minneapolis after graduation for a job and quickly started listening to your show. I lived in Minneapolis for two years before moving to Illinois to be with my now husband. Since I fell in love with your show in Minnesota, I could continue to listen while living in Chicago. Listen in one day at work in Chicago and I heard you mention the Hollister song and my jaw hit the floor. I had never made the connection until that moment that the Hollister song I grew up listening to was created by you.
Speaker 4: Woh wow wow, Yeah, talk about science from the universe.
Speaker 1: It felt like my world's colliding. Like, what are the odds that the parody song that was a staple in my house growing up was based on the same city I randomly decided to move to post college and created by the radio show I fell in love with while I lived there. And I didn't even make the connection before moving to Illinois. Why that blows my mind? Cool, that's really blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: Now years later, lived back in the beautiful state of Wisconsin and Lake Geneva with my husband of five years and our two kids still listen to the show. I'll admit not as regularly as my as I like, but my life has become so much busier than it once was. But I always make sure to save up the Minnesota Goodbye episodes to binge while I'm rocking my three year old at night. I just wanted to share this random connection and say I love your show and all that you do, and let yes, my dad still quotes the Hollister song to this day. Hmm, thanks for being great. That is from NICKI.
Speaker 2: That is so cool.
Speaker 3: That was like the email of the month.
Speaker 4: Yeah for me, that's so neat too. Because then also like the fact that instead of having TV, you would just like mindlessly scroll on YouTube and you just happen to find the Hollister song.
Speaker 2: That's just so cool of all of the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the fact that she didn't know that it was connected to Katie WB and then all of a sudden you realize, like, oh my god, the radio you're the ones.
Speaker 3: That came up with the Hart song.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: I years ago we did a video. It was trending at the time before trending was even a term, and the trend was shit Minnesotan say, or shit you know whatever, like police officers say or shit teachers say. And so I did shit Minnesotan say, and it went viral, and it was pretty funny, like shit Minnesotan say, like, oh, yeah, you know my friend's neighbor's brother is friends with Joel Mauer.
Speaker 6: Or the Halloween blizzard.
Speaker 3: Oh remember that Halloween blizzard.
Speaker 1: So you can still look it up to this day if you just look up shit Minnesotan say on YouTube.
Speaker 5: But I was open your first recollection of going like viral. Once that became a thing.
Speaker 1: The first viral we ever did was white trash people problems and that was you know, it was when Twitter was new, and so we did white trash people problems like rasslin is on the same time as Nascar okay, or don't have enough money for both beer and cigarettes? White trash people problems, and it went immediately viral, and for about a half an hour, we were the number two trending topic in the world. Dang cool, she is right behind one direction trending number two in the world. You guys, White trash people problems. And it was a blip and it was done a half an hour later and we got back down to you uncountable territory. Yeah, but we all looked at each other and said that was cool. What good did it do us?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know to trend and go viral, and that's something to think about. What good does it do.
Speaker 2: You unless you get way more followers or things by.
Speaker 1: That crue And I don't know whether we did or not.
Speaker 5: But Twitter was is probably harder, I think with video now nowadays on Instagram and TikTok though, that like hooks people more, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like, I'm not going to start like being.
Speaker 5: Obsessed with a show because I saw a funny hashtag, you know, yeah, Like I don't even know that I would correlate it back to the show. Whereas if you like go viral for something with the Morning Show, then I'd be like, oh, they seem like a funny show, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like if you see a funny video that goes viral of like you know Jenny, you know, using her hand on her arm, which did go viral, h yeah, and it got about five million views and it still does. But then we were told by management to not pin it to the top of our.
Speaker 7: Instagram to inappropriate, they said, And it is inappropriate, but then you know, there's other stuff that I've seen other DJs do that are just as inappropriate, but we were asked to take it down.
Speaker 1: So okay, whatever, But back to the show. Minnesotan say, I was up in Duluth and I'm having dinner at the Outback Steakhouse in Duluth and I'm sitting there with Susan and the kids, and the servers like, oh my god, are you the guy in the shit Minnesotan Say video? And I'm like yeah, and they're like, oh my god, I've watched it a million times. It's so funny. They didn't know who Dave Ryan was, they didn't know what KATWDB was. They only recognized me from that video, which I thought was hysteric. Okay, next one, a question for you. What would you say your comfort or average amount of credit card debt is for your credit cards with mortgage and expenses. I'm at a point where I feel like I cannot afford to pay off my credit card every month, so there's always a balance. But I'm curious on your thoughts of it all. Do you pay it all off every month or have a balance on it at all times, and what is your comfort amount? I do want to be more frugal with this just being too dang social. I guess that's from Amelia. We are fortunately able to pay off our credit card every month. We don't carry a balance at all.
Speaker 2: I pay off mine every month as well.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I do too.
Speaker 5: But I also don't spend money on a lot of different things, like I don't really go out to eat ever. I don't go to the movies, like a lot of things that people do, I don't really do. So I can keep my credit card pretty low.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember back when I was probably in my twenties and had a new credit card. I think I had a balance of like four or five thousand dollars on it, and I would pay off, you know, as much as I could. And I remember my daughter Beth, her mother gave her some really stupid advice, and her advice was always try to pay the minimum balance on your credit card.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, all you're paying then it's just.
Speaker 1: Going to keep it's going to keep growing. You're never going to pay it off. Yeah, the credit card company wants you to pay the minimum balance. Yeah, because it's going to you know, you're stacking up eighteen percent interest a year something like.
Speaker 2: That, Right, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I always my thought process with it was, I if I can't afford to pay off my credit card every month, I don't need a credit card. And so I didn't even get a credit card until I was maybe like twenty eight. I just had a debit card. Okay, So it's like never occurred to me like that. I could potentially just let it rack up and rack up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like everybody on the show pays off their credit card. But I would say, try to really not carry a balance. But I know that's easier said than done. If you are struggling to make ends, meat, it's you know, you gotta buy milk, you gotta buy laundry soap, and you gotta buy toilet paper, and you gotta go have a pizza once in a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the minimum, don't I mean not just the minimum. I think that's something we could all agree on, like, don't pay just the minimum. See if you can add on to that.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes we get a windfall of cash and we want to go do something fun with it, and we should pay off like that credit card. Like if you win a thousand dollars on KWB, I always say, go buy yourself a kayak. Yeah fuck yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But honestly, if you know, the practical thing is, and it's boring that nobody wants to do, is.
Speaker 3: Pay down that debt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's what you should do, because if you don't pay it down, you're going to be, you know, paying for it longer anymore.
Speaker 4: When we got those like checks during the pandemic, like the random thousand dollars checks that we randomly got, I don't know I did. I did not, well a little fancy you anyway, I did, but I paid off my car. So yeah, I will follow them just to pay off my car because then I now that's one payment that I don't have to make every month anymore, which is nice.
Speaker 3: Good, good for you, all right.
Speaker 1: Next one, Dave Jenny Bailey vont I listen to your show ever since I can remember. I'm wondering if you guys can talk about older women dating younger men. I really need thoughts on this topic, and I think I'm going to forward this to you, Jenny, so we can use it on the regular show. I'm forty six years old, and I cannot seem to find anyone in my age range that I'm attracted to.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Remember they're forty six. I don't look my age, so I'm constant being hit on by younger men. I feel a good age range would be forty to fifty years old. Currently, there's a young man that I'm attracted to that seems interested, but he's thirty one turning thirty two in August. Here's my dilemma. My son is twenty six turning twenty seven. My brothers are thirty three and thirty five, so it feels like this new man in my life is just too young for me. He's literally only five years older than my son and basically the same age as my brothers. I don't know if I should just say fit and go, give it a go, or close the door permanently. But how do I stop thinking about the age difference to give this new relationship a fair chance. I'm hoping we can just talk about this on the radio and I can listen to the discussion and see what other people have to say about it. It seems normal for older men to date younger women, but not the other way around. I appreciate you guys a loyal listener. The first thing I did is I looked up her name to see whether she does look younger. She's forty six, and yes, indeed, he do. She does look much younger.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So because a lot of people think that, they think, well, I don't look my age. Yeah, Well the truth is, and it's actually in my book, Yeah you do look about your age. Yeah you might look good for your age. But the truth is we all look about our age, you know, or sometimes a little older, some are younger. But she does look younger. I think the problem with that dating the guy he's thirty one and thirty two, it's about a fourteen year age difference. That's getting pretty significant. Yeah, you're going to be entering different phases of life that he is not going to relate to. You're going to start getting AARP card offers in the mail in the next two years, and he's just going to be like mid start of his career. So I think that will become a problem. But if you just want to go jump on him and have some fun and see what happens, there's nothing wrong with that either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it definitely depends on like what is it, What is it that you're looking for. Are you looking for like a long term relationship or are you looking to just like, you know, have a good time. Because I'm all for having a good time. Though I agree with the like in different phases of your life because my last boyfriend was ten years older than me and I was just even that was like ten years like dang.
Speaker 1: And you and being and being like in our traditional society, if the boy is older than the girl, somehow that seems more palatable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was still like weird, like it felt like we were in different moments of our lives.
Speaker 1: And I heard this, Yeah, when you would talk about him, it sound like, well, he didn't sound like he was the guy for you anyway. But yeah, I mean I date when I was twenty four. I dated a woman who was forty four ooh, And we were never serious. We knew it was never going to last. We just like had fun going to movies and she played video games, so that was fun. I mean, a forty four year old back then that played Bubble Bubble, What a crazy lady.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. Who so Jenny, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Uh see, I actually am all for her going for it. I just think it's a matter of are you going to be able to get over the fact that your son is very close in age to him, and is is this thirty one year old emotionally mature to the level that you would want, because I would argue that there's a good chance he's not at thirty one and you're at at forty six, and the life you've lived. Now, I'm just going to assume that that guy's maybe never been married, probably doesn't have kids, So you have just such a different life experience than he does, and so I don't know how well you would connect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: I mean it kind of boils down to that because really, I mean, how long do we usually live. If we live an average of eighty years, you are about one quarter of a life older than him, Maybe not one quarter, but maybe one fifth of a life older than him, older older. So anyway, that is going to do it for the Minnesota Goodbye. That was fun. Send your emails to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com. We'll get you on the next episode of The Minnesota Goodbye