Speaker 1: Now one of your pudding. I got a string going on here, something just cause my dog. Something killed your dog, my dog. We're flying through the or over the tree. I don't know how it did it, Okay, Damn, I'm really confused. All I saw was my dog coming over the fence and he was dead. And once you hit the ground like, I didn't see any cars. All I saw was my dog coming over the fence. Happen? What are you putting? We got some wonder or something prowling around out here? Did you see what it was?
Speaker 2: Or was it was?
Speaker 1: Standing enough? I'm out here looking through the window now and I don't see anything. I don't want to go outside. Jesus, quice you better New York. Hello, get somebody out here.
Speaker 3: What quen on out there?
Speaker 1: I thought of a bit of about sixty forty nine. I don't know easy out there? Yeah, I'm wuking right head.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, Grittings is read Alaska text. You're joining me today. What I want to share with you comes from Paul and his son. Paul is approaching eighty. His son is a little older than me. Actually, I believe his son is fifty two. Now. Paul is an atta natives from the Copper River area. He has relatives in Saltia. This particular instance happened near the Salta River. Family used to have a cabin up that way off of a little small tributary, couldn't really call it a river, but a tributary to the Saltia which is a glorified creek. This particular instance happened back when his son, who's fifty two now, is approximately ten years old. It was a family cabin before the elder owner of it got rid of it. What ended up happening is Paul goes up with the sun. They were doing some fishing and potentially get a moose. For Paul, it was more spending time with the sun than anything. He wasn't really concerned with necessarily tagging a moose, even though that would have been great. It wasn't the overall driving force. It's more get time of the sun outdoors. They plan on being up there two weeks. They were a little over week into the trip. Things were getting ready to wind down in the next few days, so the emphasis on hunting really stepped up right out behind the cabin. Further up this glorified creek was a meadow where they had some beaver ponds and muskeg that fed this particular creek. He knew moose hung out there and stuff, so that was always in his back pocket. It was like, Okay, I got my trump cart over here, I'll take the boy out there once things get moving along or whatever. And he spent some quality time with them, teaching them how to split wood and start a fire, just basic stuff. The morning they were going out there, his son was carrying his grandpa's thirty out six, which the stock had been cut down a little bit because his grandpa was a little dude, so it was good kit sized by very powerful. He wanted his son to have a little something to knock the moose down with. Paul had a thirty out six as well. So they go back and they follow this creek all the way back. It was a couple of miles to where you get to this muske in this open meadow with the beaver pond and some other stuff. He said. Once they got up there and they cleared the tree line, it opened up more into the tundra type stuff. You could see the mounds off in the background. There was the beginnings the foothills of the mounds directly in front of them, on the far end of this Muskeg swamp, this marsh area. So his plan was to circle around to the right and get back past the beaver pond because this particular stretch of tundra in marsh, back around the corner a little ways, it was a little firmer ground and that's usually where you find the moose. So he takes his boy, let's call his boy Aleck. Okay, So Paul and Alick they get across. There's a couple kind of mushy spots, just kind of like walking on a waterbed. But he gets Aleck across their safely and everything, and they get back and they're following along just inside the tree line where the tree line meets up with the tundra and then it goes off into the marsh off to the left. They get back to where hooks around. As they're getting there, Paul, here's a weird sound. Now this is in the wee hours of the morning. It's in the fall, towards the end of August. He hears what he thought was a wolf pal which I mean shit. In the big scheme of things, he really wasn't concerned if it was a wolf or not, because they'd get a wolf if it wasn't a mossie. No big deal as far as he was concerned. So he was like, just be aware. Alec was a little intimidated by the wolf. Pal unslung the rifle and was holding it, and he was like, calm down, sluing that rifle. I'll let you know when you need to get your gun ready. So as there just inside the tree line, just a few paces, just to stay out of the open you. Every once in a while he would have Alex stan still and he would go to the tree line and look and see if there's any moose nearby or movement going on or whatever. And as they work around the curses right a little bit, it's like a sock shape. Let's say you're going up half of the sock, and then the back end would be like the foot of the sock, and it hooked off to the right a little bit. But that's the shape of this marshy area. And so as they're going along, he was just about at the apex when he came out to look one last time and straight across what it would be the toe area of the sock shaped kind of meadow, he noticed something big and brown over there, and instantly that's that moose. He thought, Wow, I wonder if wolf Hack is after it, that'd be cool for us to watch. So he saw that tuck back in let Alec know his moose is up there. So they continue on and they're cutting through the brush quietly so they could come out of the tree line and be not visible but have a good open view of this thing, and so his son could have a perfect shot right hopefully broadside, and just a nice could kill shop. So when they get up to the area where they can more clearly see into the open as they're still behind it in the tree line in a little ways, he's looking to where he saw that brown spot, and he notices this brown spot hadn't moved into the brush a little more. It was a little more shaded, so it was darker looking, but he could see it moving, but the movement was different than he was accustomed to see him from a moose. It was a lot more faster movements back and forth, and a lot more kind of a bobbing type of motion. But again it was obscured because of the shadowing and stuff. He couldn't fully make it out. So they get a little closer, and they moved down a little ways because of the way the wind was blowing. He didn't want a scent picked up and blowing around this area and potentially getting back to the moose and startling it or whatever, so they moved a little further down. When they repositioned and he got Alex ready. Alex sat there and he was holding the rifle, just waiting. Paul started making his moose call. The first couple of calls he made, which they weren't just back to back, you get time in between. That way, it sounds natural. So he makes the first one, no attention from this thing across the way, which he assumed it was a bull moose. No attention given. Second call, this thing moves inside the opposite tree line, which is about seventy yards distance inside the tree line, moving and he figured, oh, okay, the moose is moving around to try to look for this cow. Call. So he waits a little while longer and calls again. Meanwhile, in between the call, she repositioned back to his left, staying in the tree line, but give him more distance that he didn't want the bullmos to come right out on him when if his son missed the shot, potentially they get charged or whatever. So he was trying to keep a safe distance for son to get this shot. He said, when he made about the fourth call, this thing came out of the trees slowly and was looking back and forth, and it wasn't a moose. Immediately he knew it was a bushman. Harry mate. His son was just about to talk, and he covers his mouth says, that's a bushman. We're going to get out of here. We don't want nothing to do with. As he had heard all the stories, he had seen one a couple times in the past, but it was never that close, and he just told us, stay quiet, stay quiet, We're okay. And as he's talking to his son, it comes out. Nick starts skirting the tree line back in the direction he originally saw it, and the way it was moving was bobbing down, standing up, moving back and forth, smelling the air, just looking around and basically doing what Paul had been doing before that, looking around trying to find this move. So this thing was doing the opposite, looking back in their direction, and finally it got to a spot and it squatted down right in front of some willows. This thing squatted down is looking straight at Paul and his son. He locked onto him. Paul said, he sensed it, knew they were over there. It was just trying to figure out where and pinpointed me. He said, it felt like he had us pinpointed, but he didn't have a visual line of sight until he got to that point, which again, at this point was maybe eighty yards at the mom which in the big scheme of things ain't that far. So when a squatted down has got a lock on him, Paul stands up. He's holding his rifle in his hands and he waves them and goes, hey, we'll hunt somewhere else. We'll go hunt somewhere else. This thing immediately turns and runs off into the brush behind it. Here's crashing and thrashing as it's moving off to their left on that opposite tree line, back up in the trees going up this initial foothill of the mountains behind there. Figures, great, it's getting away from us. So he immediately gets Alec in front of him as they're going back. Now on their way back, they're coming up onto the beaver pond. Periodically, Paul would hear noises he was trying out to be paranoid, but it sounded like movement behind him with branches breaking periodically, so he would stop, try not to scare Alex, because Alec was already freaked out when he was a kid seeing this stuff, and he was not feeling it. So Paul was checking every once in a while. He said, it was the last time. He couldn't just pass it off. Oh, it was just a coincidental noise because of how loud it was. It was cracked, something obviously big was broken. And he happened to look back and there was some black spruce and stuff intermingled within this tree line, so it was mainly black spruce, some willows, and then there was aspen here and there not very many in some alders. It was more black spruce than anything, so you'd have willow obscuring the lower ground and then the black spruce intermix. And he said, when he looked back to figure out what the noise was because it was so loud, he saw basically a hand letting go of a black spruce that had been broken in half. Just as he looked back because of the loud noise, because he turned around real fast, he saw a hand, this thing's hand. Obviously it broke it, but everything was so obscured. He only saw part of the hand and part of the forearm as this thing was moving off to the right, which was only maybe forty five fifty feet behind them, which again freaked him out. Alec was really freaked. He had to rifle shouldered. Paul was like, calm down, I will tell you when you need to worry about shooting, and Alec was just like, let's go, Dad, I just want to go. Paul wanted nothing to do with that shit. As they continued on have Alec move forward as he kept watching him with quickly catch up to him, constantly surveying, and they were coming into the area where the trees weren't so densely packed it. It opened up a little more as it was moving out onto the tundra right, so they get clear of the trees and now they just have a short bit of firm tundra. Before I got Marshie that real marshy spot where they had to cross was like walking on a waterbed. When they came out into the opening the beaver ponds off to their left, there's an active beaver at the time, a pretty good sized lodge that was not that far away from the edge the line of the marsh where it looked solid, which probably wasn't very solid at all, but there wasn't much distance between what appeared to be solid ground in this lodge. So he gets aleck across the direction they came. When they got across there and they were on more firm ground, Paul turned around and looked This thing was just outside of the tree line, squatted down. It was sniffing the ground, which really creeped Paul out. He told Alec not to look that way, to look the other way, because he didn't want a son seeing it, for one, and he didn't want this thing to take his son looking as some kind of challenge. Being weirded out by this thing squatted down sniffing, Paul again waves his arm with his rifle. Hey, we're going to hunt elsewhere. Let us be. We leave you be, no harm, leave us alone kind of thing. This thing just ignored what he was saying and kept smelling the ground and moving around down on all fours. He said, imagine if a man just leaned down, put his hands out and was moving around on his tippy toes in his hands that's what it looked like from his perspective, how it was moving around and stuff. He said, the movements were real, sporadic. They would lower down, sniffing, and then it would arch up, blow up, and then do the same thing over, move around at one point spinning in a little bit of a circle. This is all happening. Wait faster. Its movements were real, sporadic and fast away. It was sniffing and stub like it was getting worked up or excited, which again threaked him out. So he telled Alex, you keep walking forward, but you stop. Once you get fully off of the marshy spot, you stop. So Alex is doing that while Paul is watching, and he has the rifle at a little ready at this point. He doesn't want to have to shoot at to say so. After this thing stops, braddick spinning around and sniffing and stuff, and it moved back off into the trees. So that's when Paul turned and caught up with the sun. In the brief distance, I'm not even thirty feet to catch up to where his sun was, he was trotting. He was as quickly as he could in boots on the tundrus as soon as he catches up to the son, he hears the water smacking sound and looks back and this thing is bee lining straight towards them and is basically almost where Paul was when and he turned just a second ago to come and ketch up with his son. It was moving fast, so Paul raises his rifle and lets to round go bay Am. He said, this thing hit the dirt hard, tumbled over, not fully stood up, heading away from him, and he took back off into the trees. Scared the shit out of Paul because he thought it was going to continue coming. He said. He thought he had a good shot on it, but it was past adrenaline pumping and stuff. So once this thing runs off, he again turns his attention to get the hell out of there. He just shot this thing, and he wanted no part of the potential after math of that. They only had about maybe fifty ish feet before the other tree line started where they followed the creek back down to the cabin. Once he got to that tree line, he was constantly looking over his shoulder. How he missed this thing, how quickly it moved, he doesn't know. But by time they got over there, he was here and cracking. As he looks back and turns around and looks, this thing is tearing apart that beaver lodge. It ran into the trees. He turned around. They're trying to get back to their back trail to get back to the cabin. In that brief fifty feet if that whatever it was with him looking back, he never heard it or nose hit until the cracking and thrashing that it was making. So when it turned around and looked and it's tearing apart this beaver lodge, and stay tuned for more sasquatch out to see. We'll be right back after the east messages. He said, shit was flying. He said it was throwing an everlove and fit, just like one handful after another, just ripping this thing apart. He said he could see the marsh ripple in from this thing's body weight. He was like stuffed for a second. Alex started crying. That snapped him out of it here in the sun cry because he was watching this display of awesome power just tearing this thing apart. So boom, he refocuses and they get down going down the trail. Now, this particular trail is a game trail, but it was also used by him and other family members over the year, so it was pretty well beaten pass. Depending time of the year, the brush was closer in or further back. As they were going back down, he said that they got maybe one hundred yards down when he started hearing breaking and noises. At the head of the trail. It meets up with that marshary, So he turns around and he's got his gun up. He's trying to figure out if it's coming after him or if it's just an echoing or something else going on in other than what he was fearing that it was following them. He heard some noises and it went quiet, so he decided to come on, let's go. Turned around. Alec kept going. He kept going. He said, every about twenty five thirty yards he would have to stop because there was a new noise, and it always stayed a certain distance behind him. As they were moving along, he got the feeling that he was being watched. As he's looking up the trail, he got the feeling is being watched from behind him, which Alec was standing right behind him like on his hip. So when he turned around to look further down the trail, it was hard to see it was obscured, but he saw a dark figure move out of view right. He said, the hair stood up real hard, like wirely bristols all over his body, and he told Alec to grab onto his belt. So Alec grabbed a hold of his belt. He said, do you hold onto my belt tight? He said, you're gonna trot and run beside Dad, you just hold on. So Paul is basically half running. Alec is holding his belt hanging on as Paul's pulling him along, and he's going straight forwards where this thing induct and his reasoning was is he was going to basically bluff charge this thing and hopefully moving so they could get past it, because he didn't want anything blocking him from potentially getting to the cabin for safety and having some barriers up. He said, he was going along and as he was approaching that area, he saw this thing moving off to his lap, just straight away from the trail perpendicular to Joe, just straight away, not circling around like flank or anything. So that kind of gave him a calm feelings. They got past that spot and then he stopped and turned back and was holding the rifle, trying to assess and listen for sound and everything, and the one that was between him and the cabin that really startled him had run straight away from the trail where he had stopped to turn and look. He had a little bit of an alley way between the trees where he could see the direction this thing had gone. Sure enough, this thing was standing there, but it was at a distance, and it was just obscured by some black spruce and of course the willows. It was there, but it was further away. So turned again, pulled out a cold on, and he kept doing that. He heard noises a couple more times, but it faded off and stopped the closer they got to the cabin, which was again a couple of miles distant. So because there was enough distance between the last sighting and the last noises, he felt a little more comfortable. So what he did was he didn't want them basically following them back to the cabin. He didn't know what to do though to prevent that, because it's just one game. Trail was like, duh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist followed the trail. I'm sure if they're in the area, they've seen this cabin before. You know what, I mean, he figured okay. He got Alec inside, looked around and there was two windows, one on each side, and they were about three foot square something like that. On either side. It had an old oil drip stove and also a woodburning stove. It had been decked out over the years some amenities and some creature comforts as far as what was available. Especially getting it up river is as his nightmare. He gets Alex situated, tells him, hey, if anything other than me comes through the door, you shoot it. I'm going to be right back, and he grabs some of this clorox and he goes basically about fifty yards up to trail and is just whipping this clorox back and forth all over the place, trying to mask their scent. Basically, it was the only thing he could think of at the time, and he said, looking back on it, it was pointless because it didn't work, but he was trying. So he does all that. He empties it out basically by time he gets back to cabin, drops it on the ground and runs back inside. Didn't hear anything. It was dead quiet. Now. All this started at the wee hours of the morning, and they were back home start to finish within four hours five hours, because it took time with a little one dope hike up and get across all this terrain, move slowly, quietly all that. So it was roughly around noonish when they got back safely in the cabin. Now Paul would regularly check the windows. They would play card games and some other stuff keep Alec his mind off of it. He's not a dumb kid. He'd ask, what's going on, Dad? Is it out there? Anytime he was looking, and Alec kept saying, it's scary looking that bushman scary. Finally he asked, Paul, is it going to heat us? Paul was like, not if I have anything to do with that. It had been a while since any family members had been up there. But there was curtin. Someone had taken an old military duffel bag type of thing and they cut it open and made a pretty good non sea through curtain right land of the midnight sun type stuff. The way it was nailed up into the window casing it blocked out all the light. You just push it back in there and it blocked it out. So as the day went on, Paul decided, all right, now is a good time to push these into place so nothing can watch us. He does the one side so if he's inside the cabin looking at the front door. He did the one off to the right first, which was the one that was closest to this little glorified feet or creek. So he goes over he does that one, and this was just before dusk that he was doing this. As he's doing that one, the light behind him from the other window because they mirrored each other even on the wall their placement. Because he was getting that one set, he saw a shadow move in the light from the opposite window. So immediately he turns and he sees this thing slowly peeking around looking in and his heart stopped. He's like, holy crap. Before he could even say anything, Alex is standing up and he had to tell him stop stop. Alex had that rifle and was about to shoot this thing as soon as he started yelling at Alek. Wassen moved out of the view and Paul goes over and fixes the makeshift curtain into place. As they're sitting there, Paul was sitting there thinking, man, the dead bolt on that door, I mean much, so he was trying to think of what other detorts does he have, and so what he decided to do was take some nails. It was a hardwood door, so with the door shut, he nailed through the edge of it at a kind of like a forty five degree angle kind of toe, nailing in three separate spots above the dead bolt and then below the dead bolt, just a little added measure of holding force, which again it was spitballing. Obviously, these things are powerful enough they would have been irrelevant. He fired up the lanterns they had in there. Again, the place had been heavily used over the years, so there was a lot of little amenities. He lit the lanterns and start did the drip stove to heat up dinner. Mom had sent them with pre made meals ready to go make it easier for him dealing with the younger boy or whatever it. Put whatever it was onto the pot to slowly warm up. He had that going warming up. He was just talking regular stuff with the sun, trying to keep him calm because he could tell it was really freaking him out. As the dinner was just getting done, one of the lamps with the wick was acting funny, so he had blown it out and was adjusting it and showing Alec how to do it, just teach him some little distractions, and as he's doing so, there's a huge hard thud. Damn. It shakes the whole place. Aleck drops to the floor, was covering his ears and starts crying, breaking out, which understandable. It shook the whole place. From what Paul said, it startled him, gave that reflex feeling in his feet. So he set that lanner down before he dropped it because he almost spilled the kerosene, and set it down real quick to lit it. Moved it over and there was a hook for it that was in the corner if you're facing the door, would be the left hand corner up about three feet out from either wall. He hugging up on the hook just to illuminate that area. Had the one in the kitchen, had Alec get back over behind him, and he had that smaller the buttstock, the one that was shortened for his grandpa next to him on the counter, and he had his and he was standing there with Alec behind him by this cupboard because again this bang shook the whole place. As he's sitting there, it goes dead quiet, and it's quiet for a long time. Alec has calmed down at this point because it's been quiet for well over forty five minutes, probably over an hour. Alec said, Dad, I'm hungry, so that changes his focus. He sets the rifle down, dishes up his son, and dishes himself up. And what he did was he drug two of the chairs back into the kitchen, back into that little corner so they could sit right in front of each other. Alec could feel safe, and they were away from the door in the windows right. So it goes on for quite a while. So what he does is the sleeping gear. There's a cot by that kitchen table between that window and where that lamp is hanging to the left hand side of the door. There's a cot there, and there's another one opposite of it. But there's a woodstove in that corner, and then the cot and then the drip stove and then the kitchen. He wasn't going to be in any one of those cots because they're right near the windows. The head of it ends at the windows. So he drags the stuff into the floor in that kitchen area in the back of the cabin to where they felt more safe. There was more distance between the door and the windows. He got all that set up, got Alec to sleep after eating and stuff, because again get quiet. He had killed the lamp over in the corner near the door, basically had the one dimmed down up on the counter behind him, and he was sitting up still with his back against the cupboards. Oh, looking watching, he said. He dozed off at some point and he woke up to another boom, shook the whole place, made Alex scream and start crying. Paul me it was like hush, I should have quiet. And then another one boom, and it was going around the cabin. Boom just went all the way around, banged on the door once as well, made a full complete circle. Right when it came around to the right hand side, he thought for sure it was going to break the window, because it hit real hard right underneath that window, and it sounded like a pressure fracture in the window. He didn't know if it was coming through or not, so he had the rifle pointed there and it just continued working around back up to behind them and then stopped. Of course, you know, his son sobbing, he said, not that much time they passed it did it again, but the opposite way, ma'am. And when it hit near that window again, it sounded again like that window was fracturing. He was concerned about that. He didn't want no openings out there, even though it was a window and it could easily come through regardless. So after it did that a couple of different times over the course of a few hours, he's not sure exactly because he wasn't watching her clock, and he was worried about what am I going to do to keep my son safe? But it was like every time his son was just calming down from the time before, or do it again, and it was always opposite. It'd go one direction one time, then the other direction the next to it. So finally Paul got sick and tired of being sick and tired of being scared. It sounded like the double pain, which was all handset back then. It wasn't like they bought the window that way. The panes of glass were brought up and then glazed in by one of his elders and glazed him in itself. A family member did, and it was double pain, but it wasn't all that. It wasn't like modern type shit. He decides he's going to check that window when the sun is calm, so he relights the lantern up in the corner up in the left by the door, gets that going, gets the other one nice and bright in the kitchen counter, so he has plenty of light. He has Alex sitting up back against the cabinets and just being quiet, and so he goes over and he's holding the rifle with one arm and he pulls the covering to look out, and of course everything's mirrored right because it's dark out at this point. He pulls it back and he doesn't see any cracking in the glass itself, so he assumed the noises he was hearing is the separation of the glazing or however was made. So it's okay, the glass is still in tact kind of thing. There's nothing I can do about it now. He just lets go of this particular curtain. He doesn't push it back into the casing to fully seal off anything. So as he gets back over and he sits down, there's a little bit of a draft coming from the side where Alec was on, and that was due to the sink. They had a drain hole that happened to be right behind where Alex's sleeping bags were, so he was catching a little bit of a draft from the covered door would and shut all the way and a little bit of a draft was coming out. So Paul switched spots with him right just so happened when he shifted over. He looks over at that window. The way the curtains fell, there was a gap. There was a gap between the casing and the curtain. With the light. There was no mirroring effect with the lantern where he moved it behind him over his head. The lantern was casting light and he saw eye shine, just a single eye. It startled him and he raised the rifle and then all of a sudden, eyeshine was gone. Freaked him out. It was red eyeshine. It was real big. So he jumps up, goes and pushes it back into place, and as he pushes it back into where it needed to be to fully seal out anything looking in, bam, it hit right outside the wall, right next to the windows. Scared the everleven shit out of him. Of course, when that happened, he just out of reflex jumped back right. There is this drip stove as well. He just shoots through the wall right there and it all happened real fast. It was just reflex. Bam shoots through the wall. Alex screams because gunshot in the middle of this cabin that ain't all that big, and startled the hell of him because he wasn't expecting yet. The bang already had him tense up. But then his dad's shooting you really set it off. And stay tuned for more sasquatch out to see. We'll be right back after these messages. So once his son screams and he runs back over to him, says, calm down, they hear a scream from outside. The scream outside was exactly Alex creed exactly, just much louder, and it continued. It was like Nat got Alec to be quiet and listen because this thing is imitating the scream he just let out. Moving around the cabin, screamed over here like it was doing, but not pounding this time, but doing his scream, which was way more scarier than pounding, because it sounded just like him, just louder. Freaked him out. Got quiet after a while. From what Paul said, it stayed quiet for a good long time to where Alec fell asleep and he dozed off again, leaning against the cupboard. He was jolted away by Alex saying, Dad, real loud right because he was sleeping hard. It was wiped out his sun basical clean his ear yelling it startled him. He jumped up. Whoa Alex says, I think it's morning. I don't hear him. He goes, you don't hear them. We couldn't hear him before except when they're banging. He goes, No, they wanted me to come out and play, they said. When he said all night they kept asking me come out and play. That streaked Paul out. He said, look, son, what are you talking about? He goes, they would ask me to come out and play. He didn't drill him too hard about it. Said how are they telling you that? And he goes, I would hear it in my head. They were telling me come out and play. I thought you heard him Dad. You didn't say nothing, so I didn't say nothing. Paul was taken back by that. He got up. He looks around, pulls a curtain. It's daylight enough to where he could look out and see there was nothing out there. Once he waited a while, fall obvious movement out or whatever, he teld the son stay right here, don't shoot dad. I'm gonna cry the nails out of the way and go outside and see if you know they're gone. So he prised the nails and everything. He said. It took a lot of courage to unlock that dead bolt and go out because there was no window on that side. For all he knew, it could have been standing right out the door. He unlocks, opens the door with the rifle ready. Nothing looks around, goes out the one side, looks down towards the back. Nothing same thing. The air, he said, was a lot different. There was no heaviness in the air. So he came back in, shut and locked the dead Bowlt started making breakfast stuff, pulled his son to keep an eye out, let him know if they say anything else, because he didn't know how to address it with a sign about this mind speaking, but didn't want to freak him out, just kept it without no pressure on it, so to speak. So they did their thing. They get did the breakfast stuff because Alec was hungry. As soon as it was full on daylight, not twilight of the morning. Paul made sure that the drip stove valve was shut off. All the kerosene landers were off. Everything safety wise that could cause a fire was shut off. Did one more couple rounds around the cabin, making sure there was obvious signs of these things, and he got Alec and they got out of there, hike back down to where the skiff was, they got out of there. He heard of one other instance at that cabin after that, with one of his younger female cousins, which was like ten years younger. She was an adult, but her daughter had a situation of them asking them to come out and play because he told his family, Hey, the bushman was banging and all this kind of stuff, so everyone was aware. He asked about anything prior that may have happened, but there's so much heavy superstition about even speaking about it. He was told to shut up, don't even bring it up. So he took that as yeah, there was, but no one's going to say anything, right. I want to thank Paul for sharing Alec. When I spoke to him, there wasn't a whole lot he could add because of the time. He remembers clearly the times that it was banging real hard. He at his age a little older than me, it still choked him up. Seeing the fear in his dad's eye because he saw his dad as he man, what kid doesn't he said, What scared him the most is seeing his dad scared. Seeing his dad scared made him more scared than seeing it peeking in the window or initially seeing it outside. I wanted to share with you today comes from We'll name him Samuel. Now Samuel. Back in nineteen sixty nine, he got a job at Red Double Mind. Now that's on the cusco Quinn River, just up around the bend from sleep Mute. Samuel young guy at the time. He was hired on as basically a type of rust about. He would run a skiff back and forth from the mine over to sleep Mute, picking up supplies or whatever. He enjoyed it. He enjoyed the job. This one morning he was driving the skiff. He was heading down to sleep Mute when he off to his right hand side, just before the bind of the river. He could have swore he saw a Saint Bernard. The coloring of it, he was like someone lost their dog. So he cuts into the bank to see if the dog was accompanied by anybody. As he gets in there, he breaks through the brush and there's a little bit of an opening it's about seventy five feet. He sees movement the same coloring, and he's calling out for this dog hair, Doggy, here, doggie. It stops in the brush, but it's not coming to him. So he goes, ah, I got jerky in the boat. I'm gonna go grab it. So he runs over grabs a jerky. When he comes back, he doesn't see it. So he goes closer to the brush and he's right up in the alders and stuff. He's got this jerky here, puppy here. No, it's gonna hurt you. No, it's gonna hurt you. Leaning in, he could see the hair in the movement because it was such a mangle of the alders. It's like spaghetti, he said. As he was sitting there, he's holding this piece of jerky out. He's looking around, looking through, and he's come on, here you go, doggie, here you go. As he's looking through, he notices eyes looking at him, and they weren't dog's eyes, ashen gray face like that Saint Bernard Red as he called it, blatnose looked relatively young looking in the face, had a few wrinkles but not a lot. Eyes were pitch black, according to what he said, very beady looking. He's been shocked, trying to recognize what the hell he's seeing, right, because the inside, what the hell is this? And this is all happening really fast. It's taking me far longer to explain it to you. So as he's holding out this piece of jerky, just as he was recognizing it wasn't a dog, a hand snatches that jerky out of his hand. He stands up, drops the bag, he falls backwards, dropped his rifle. This thing stands up in the brush. Now he guest made it at that time. It was early season. The alders they're about eight foot, and this thing was at least head and shoulders above that looking down at him. Pushed the brush, reached down, grabbed the rest of the bag of the jerky, and he's just on the ground looking up at this thing. He's trying to figure out exactly what he's looking at, because up until that point he saw a blip of the Patty footage from the Patterson Gimlin stuff at the beginning of some movie. It was a short news real blip or something. He just didn't really pay attention to it. He thought it was an upcoming movie. Being a shocked, he jumps up. He grabs his rifle as this thing's just standing there looking at him, and he takes off, running back to the skiff. He hops in rips back to sleep moot. When he gets there, he was there to meet up with a foreman he was picking up that was there waiting on him with some supplies and stuff. So he gets over there. The foreman gets on, he's helping all this stuff up and the forms of a year pale as hell. Are you okay? What's going on? He didn't know what to say. Samuel said he was at a loss for words. He couldn't articulate what he was dealing with. Said he was hyper emotional. He just started sobbing a little bit. The guy left him alone about it. He said, hey, if you want to let me know, he can let me know. So on the way back, he tried to go to the farthest side of the river to avoid being near that section, but he knew it was on the same side of the river as camp, and it was nervous about that, he said. When they got back to camp, the fore men talked to some other guys, and one of the guys he talked to happened to be one of Samuel's buddies, another roster about, and he comes over. I was trying to engage him here you are right before, mean was saying you weren't looking too good and you're pale. Man, what's going on? So he pulls the guy's side, breaks down what happened? Right? The guy he'd pulled aside that he thought was a friend of his, started rasing him pretty hard. Oh, geez, man, you need to sleep more. You better hope they don't do drug testing stuff like this, which really it was a bad thing to do. So a little while goes on, Samuel leaves that job. He leaves it right on good terms. But he had to leave. So skip forward. This mine was only open from sixty nine to seventy one. He came back towards the latter part to do some I believe they were closing something down. There was a process going on, and so he was back. Now when he came back, he immediately thought that encounter he had at the time, everyone was real quiet, far different than when he was initially there. One of the guys he recognized from his time there before. I called him on and we said, hey, why the solemn is because everyone's losing their job, and he was like, no, there was just some strange stuff. A couple of those guys over there. It dealt with down around the bend here. They went for a hike a little while back, and they won't talk about it or whatever, right, So Samuel says, oh, okay, goes over and talks to them. So he talks to these two guys and they're like, hey, we saw stuff too. We'll go with you. Let's go look around. So they take the boat on their off time and they go back over to this They go up in there. As they get to that clearing, it's different now because it changes little bits every year. Samuel and these two guys they get back up in there, and one of the guys felt like they were wasting their time. They had cut across. He had showed them what happened to him. The guys said, hey, we saw him over here and somewhere between where they saw him very near the encounter location for Samuel. They stopped somewhere in the middle, and one of the guys that was like, I can't be sure exactly what I saw. So he starts reeling and backtracking on what he saw, he took off his backpack and leaned it up against by the brush. As he was sitting down, Samuel and the other guy were over in the clearing more in front of him, and he stands up and walks towards them to get in the conversation, and they're all three talking or whatever, and Samuel said they heard some weird chirping and so it drew their attention further up the mountain in front of them, off to their right, so they're all looking over this way. The guy who had set his backpack down right near the brush walked over to him, turned around and said, hey, where'd you put my backpack? And they're all like, we've been right here in front of you, what are you talking about. Meanwhile, that whistling is still going on. So Samueline is the guy next to him. They're making sure they got rounds in their rifles right, And the guy was like, this ain't funny. What'd you guys do with my backpack? And the guy it wasn't registering that no one took his pack, at least not Samuel or the other guy. So he goes back over and he's looking in the brush to see if maybe he pushed a little further than when he stood up, maybe the brush closed over it or something. He was trying to figure it out. He was struggling to figure it out. He gets back over the brush. Nothing, he ain't seeing nothing or anything like that. All of a sudden he hears one of those strange whistles back behind the brush where he can't see, so he backs away. As he's backing away, he gets to a point, and at this point Samuel and the other guy they see what he can't, and they their rifles. Samuel said it appeared to be a much larger one standing there looking rocking his head back and forth. The way the light was it was silhouetted, so they couldn't make out any facial features, but they could tell it was big. The guy backing away from the brush gets a peek and gets startled holy crap, and turns around starts running back towards his two buddies where you know, Samuel and the other guy. As he does, his backpack comes flying and lands past them into the opening of his clearing right. He turns around and he looks again, and the loud whistles and screams and whoops started from a couple different directions, freaked them all out. No one shot. They just retreated back to the skiff. One of the guys that tied off the skiff because Samuel was running the motor. When he pulled up to the bank, one of the guys tied an impossible knot. He just wasn't well versed. It was a good knot, but not for what they needed. When they were sitting there trying to figure out what to do and try not to either not, they heard the whistles getting closer, and they heard movement and brush and Samuel just cut that line. They just cut it. They dropped it in there, He fired up to outboard. They took off and went to sleep mute. Now when they were in sleep, newt they were, holy crap, who do we tell about this? We got to report this? And Samuel said, all I got was ridicule last time I tried. So they went and tried to find one of the guys. There was a native guy that worked around the camp or whatever to ask his advice. They couldn't find him anywhere right, So they ended up handling what they had to handle and took off back to camp again. They skirted way around, so when they got back to camp, they went and talked to whoever was in charge at that time, and was asking the guy, Hey, what do we do about reporting some crazy stuff right down the way here less than a mile maybe a mile away, And the guy told him, you don't report to no one. We're in the process of closing down. It is what it is. What I don't even want to hear about it. You guys will get reprimanded and drug tested or something if you guys continue on. It was real weird for Samuel. He was like, where's our safety at in this? He was riled, thrown off by the whole ordeal. The rest of the time he was there, there wasn't much. They heard a couple of whoops. That was the extent of it. I want to thank Samuel one for being patient. It gets busy and it gets hard to get back to everybody. I'll catch up with y'all on the next one.
Speaker 4: They say, you don't gotta go home, but you can't stay.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be open.
Speaker 4: Joy this chard, that chart, everything calling r ring back joy for me, Joy staying right, you come it right away.
Speaker 2: Still still sat stas state passes states, things used these pass