Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rose and als along with you this weekend as we join you for the first official Hot Stove Show of the offseason. As baseball is complete, If you want to find some now, you have to search in Latin America on the Winter Ball Circuit or in the Arizona Fall League to find competitive baseball between now and spring training. As the World Series is complete. The Los Angeles Dodgers are your World Series champions for twenty twenty four, and we'll check in with Anthony Castrobins from MLB dot Com as he was covering the World Series for that website, and we'll get his thoughts on the series as well as what lies ahead for the Guardians in twenty twenty five after a nice run into the American League Championship Series this past season. He will also visit with pitching coach Carl Willis an outstanding interview on his career in baseball, and it is lengthy. It started as a player back in the early nineteen eighties and continued through this as the pitching coach for the Guardians, and he certainly has made an impact on this organization and continues to do so as the Guardian's pitching continues to be the backbone of everything they do. So stay with us while we can back well here from Anthony cashter Vin's talk World series and what lies ahead for the Guardians That's next as Guardians Weekly continues on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Don't go away, folks, hey pet parents.
Speaker 3: With Progressives collision coverage, you get extra protection for your cat or dog, because there's nothing worse than seeing your pet hurt, like when you see their face after accidentally stepping on their tail and you say, I'm so sorry, mister Pickles. But as you kiss his nose and rub his little Billy willie, you know mister Pickles is thinking you betrayed me. AnyWho Progressive pays up to one thousand dollars in vet bills if your pet is injured in an auto accident. Learn more at Progressive dot com and watch for you stuff. Progressive Casualty Insurance coming Abillie's collision coverage to policy terms not available no sets.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, and we are joined by a good friend of the program, longtime writer and a columnist for MLB dot com. Used to be the Indians dot com reporter back in the day, but now covering on the national beat for MLB dot com, Anthony Caster Vince, who is hot off a world series that went five games, went to the Los Angeles Dodgers, and Anthony, let's start right there, so much build up for this world series once the teams advanced and it was Yankees Dodgers, and you almost felt the only way it could live up to the hype would have been a seven game series that might might have gone extra innings for game seven, but for a five game series, very entertaining and a lot of twists and turns, And what was your takeaway when it was all said and done and you had a chance to look back on it, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Compare it to the Alcs in that it was only five games, but you know, five very compelling games just the way it played out, and very easily could have been a seven game series, very easily could have been three.
Speaker 5: Two Yankees.
Speaker 4: Going back to l Ah that was that was very much in the cards. That they not, you know, coughed it up in Game one and had a couple other things go against them, you know, later in the series. But I think what you saw ultimately was, yeah, these were two like blockbuster ball clubs, you know, big payrolls, lots of stars, et cetera. But at the end of the day, the Dodgers were the better baseball team, like pure baseball team. They caught the ball better, they run the bases better, they had a deeper line up, they had more bench options.
Speaker 5: So that's that's what it came down to, is the Yankees were just kind of thin. They had there.
Speaker 4: Their their stars are stars, but you know, Aaron Judge had a rough series until the last game and then made a big error in the last game, and that was just kind of who the Yankees were. They just don't catch the ball particularly well, and it really came back to bite them.
Speaker 2: And when you look at it through that lens and a guardian's lens, so to speak, I think we saw some of that in the Alcs. So so was it much of a surprise maybe among the folks that you were around in New York who followed that team on a daily basis.
Speaker 4: No, I know there was some internal frustration with their defensive play this season, and yeah, we definitely saw in that Guardian series, right, I mean they you know, they went up to two oh on the Guards and then you know, nearly cought it up in that series with some of their foibles in the field. And that's what made it so frustrating that, you know, the Guardians didn't play their best brand of baseball in the Bronx because you know, that's another series that very easily could have been flipped on its head had they you know, a couple of defensive plays that went away.
Speaker 5: For them that was very characteristic for Cleveland. So that's just the postseason.
Speaker 4: Man, every moment matters, and it's fascinating when you're dig into these games and the wild swings that can happen from one play.
Speaker 5: You know, you can rewrite your entire trajectory, you know, with one play. So but I did. I thought it was a really fun, interesting world series. I know, like in a market like Cleveland, you know, there's frustration to see these big payroll clubs and that tends to happen.
Speaker 4: But it had been a long time since, you know, two of the top three payrolls actually made it to the series at the same time, and it's become very rare for the two number one seeds to advance the World Series the way the Dodgers and Yankees did. And you know, when you get right down to it, I mean, there's so much talent on that field.
Speaker 5: It was really cool to watch.
Speaker 4: You got Juan Soto, Aaron Judge, you know, John Carlos Stanton with the run that he was on this October, and then on the other side, of course, Shoho Toadi and Mookie Bets and then Freddie Freeman just had a World series for the Ages and.
Speaker 2: You mentioned some of those stars. Otani obviously compromised by by an injury but didn't impact the series much Aaron Judge, same thing. And from that again that Guardians Lens I thought Jose Ramirez a he didn't have the impact that that you may be t would have. And what do you think some of the challenges are for superstars to perform on that stage and what allows someone like a Freddie Freeman to do just that if you can narrow it down a little bit, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's why you got to really appreciate when a star performs up to his capabilities in October.
Speaker 5: Like I'm always wowed.
Speaker 4: By Derek Jeter's career postseason line is pretty much right in line with his career numbers, and that's really hard to do. I mean, it shows that he played the equivalent of a full season in October and his numbers were basically like a normal career year for Derek Jeter. That's tough to do because of the heightened focus in October, and that works both ways.
Speaker 5: You know, the hitters are more focused and the pictures are more focused.
Speaker 4: But I think the pictures have an advantage, you know when it comes to scouting reports and really keying in on those key players.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what happens is you know, you get through that.
Speaker 4: I've heard John Smoltz talk about this where this guy who's pitching the postseason many times and had a Hall of Fame career, but he said that you know you're going you're just grinding through the regular season. Uh, you know, it's it's a long year. It's physically taxing, it's mentally draining, et cetera. You get to October and yeah, you have the weight of all you've gone through all year physically and mentally, but it's what you play for and there's just there is just a heightened ability to really hone in on every pitch. It's another Nick Cassianos is another great example, you know, outfielder for the Phillies. He's made a bunch of great defensive plays in October in the last few years. He's not a good defense in the regular season. He said, I just just focus is better in the postseason. So for whatever reason, you know that that's what happens, and you know, I do think it makes it difficult for a player like Jose Ramirez, where you.
Speaker 5: Know, he had better support in the lineup this year, but not a great deal.
Speaker 4: Of support, certainly not as much as uh, you know, Freddy Freeman and that Dodgers lineup that's so deep, so they can really key it on him and make it make his life miserable. And he still was able to come through with some big knocks, you know, in the Guardian's run. But yeah, ultimately wasn't able to have that transcendent series.
Speaker 2: MLB dot COM's Anthony Castervince joining us talking world series and we'll get to some Guardians in a moment. But the Dodgers, they're the World champs. They spent a billion dollars last offseason. Look, payroll was not an issue. And maybe I'm not speaking for fans out there, but for all of that, it seemed like they were a likable bunch that wins the World Series. And you know, some people say, O, well, underdog because of the injuries. I'm not buying that. They're not an underdogs. But for a team that spent a lot of money, there are a lot of teams like that that you're just like, oh gosh, you know, well, the big deal they won the World Series. But you know, I think for the Dodgers it seemed different and did it to you at all?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It did.
Speaker 4: I mean you got Freddy Freeman's a great story of That's a guy that is very well respected to baseball, has been for a long time, and went through a lot this year with his son, you know, having a rare autoimmune disorder, and you know, he missed time from the team while dealing with that, and the son's doing better now, but you know, hanging over his head, and then the injury.
Speaker 5: You know, he.
Speaker 4: Severely sprained his ankle just before the end of the regular season, and so he's very little expected of him offensively, given what we'd seen in the first couple of rounds. And then he goes out and you know, hits the first walk off Grand Slam in World Series history and drives in twelve runs, ties a record for the World Series.
Speaker 5: He does it in only five games. So it was crazy, crazy performance.
Speaker 4: So you know that, I think Mookie Betts is super likable Otani personality wise, you know, we don't know much about him, but he is obviously just an eye catching talent.
Speaker 5: He's an incredible talent, so you know, you just kind of mesmerized by what he can do.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they did have a nice just a general blend of you know, they had a good ballplayer team mentality where they pick each other up and like I said, they catch the ball, they protect the ball. So yeah, they had a you have to think, like, man, if they had their rotation at full strength, so they lose a game, and you know with what they were able to do with a very diminished rotation. And Walker Buehler, I want to mention him as well, because this guy's been a great postseason performer for a long time and he was, you know, coming off Tommy John this year at a five something e er did not have you know, anywhere near his best year, but he stepped up on the postseason stage and you know, starts Game three and pitches well and then comes back out in Game five and closes it out with the first save.
Speaker 5: Of his career. So that probably helped his free agent value.
Speaker 2: Anthony Castervinz from MLB dot Com joining us the postseason in general, and he had a nice piece on yesterday's website about this. The two series of Guardians were involved in highly entertaining and maybe maybe I cast a bias lens on it, but it seemed like the postseason in general was filled with memorable moments this year, more so than maybe in some recent years.
Speaker 4: I think so, And I tried to look at it objectively instead of subjectively and just pick out the top ten moments based on win probability added. So that's a single play. How did that play impact the team's chances of winning that particular game? And you know, like Freddie Freeman's Grand Slam was seventy something percent, It changed the Dodgers odds of winning that game from like twenty seven percent to one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: And we had a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Those this postseason and including here in Cleveland where you know David Fry's big home run. You have to pick one because it's the one in Detroit was actually the higher win probability added than the walk off because you know the walk off the game was tied against the Yankees, but you know his his home run that that changed that game in Detroit and kept the Guardian season alive and brought it back to Game five here in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: That was a huge one.
Speaker 4: And then the other one that rated very high on the list, that rated third was Big Christmas.
Speaker 5: Man John Kenzie. No.
Speaker 4: Well, with that game tying home run off play homes in Game three of the ALCS, that increased the Guardian's odds of winning that game by forty nine percent with that one swing. So he was sending there to pinch hit. We were all thinking the same thing, like, Okay, he's he's there to do one job.
Speaker 5: Let's see if he can do it. And he did it immediately, just that rocket out to left. I can still see it when I closed my eyes.
Speaker 4: So that was I got Teyer Rosie, Like I've been covering baseball for twenty years, and I mean three of the best games I've ever seen in my life in person were this past month. You know that that game I just referenced to, you know, ALCS game three, I think ALDS Game five here in Cleveland, where you know, where the Guardians scratched together against Terry Scoble and Lane Thomas broke it open with the grand slam. And then that Game one of the World Series, you know, with the Freddie Freeman walk off grand slamming. That's just like an iconic moment. Instantly you know you're you're you're witnessing something special. So those those are three great ballgames.
Speaker 2: Definitely a memory. Postseason, it is now complete, so I guess officially we're in the hot stove season. As the next baseball we'll see, we'll be in spring training and Anthony look back at the Guardian season. I think it went further than so many people would have predicted back in spring training. Where do they go from here and what were some of the things that you saw this year that they can build on with the idea that there are some things that they need to add as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you just build on the strides that the lineup made first and foremost, you know, in my mind, goes to the bullpen.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you can build on that.
Speaker 4: I think you have to build around that, because that was the key to the year, was the bullpen coming together the way it did.
Speaker 5: But the danger of that, especially when you go on a deep run like.
Speaker 4: They did, is is you know, the long term effects and so next year they'll probably take a step back, because that's just what history tells us. So hopefully, though, you know, I know it's weird to say they should all met their greatest strength, but you know, sometimes that's what you have to do just to you know, steal yourself for what's coming.
Speaker 5: You know, some of those guys might get hurt or just regress, and then obviously they haven't even the starting pitching department. I think that's very clear.
Speaker 4: So you know, hopefully, going on the run that they did in October, you know the revenues that come with that, Hopefully it's parlayed into a nice offseason.
Speaker 5: I know there's other stuff in.
Speaker 4: The air with the TV contract and whatnot, but yeah, I mean their time is now clearly have a core, a championship caliber corp. Because we saw the first signs of it in twenty twenty two. And then you know, you go through some learning learning period and growth pains what have you last year, and then you take another huge step forward this year. So it's hard to maintain those steps forward. And again they're going to probably run in some trouble with the bullpen. Not that it'll be a bad bullpen. I'm just saying they're probably going to run in some performance regression in some regard, So you have to prepare for that.
Speaker 2: All right, Fans of the show know that we always talk about Bruce Springsteen on this show. You are as heavy a fan as there is. Hopefully it's not his final tour, but I suppose anytime he's out there now it could be. What have you seen review wise from what you've seen on this tour that just continues to make him one of the most entertaining shows that you can see.
Speaker 4: Well, I've seen enough shows this year to do my own reviews where I can tell you that, like last year, twenty twenty three was you know, the return from COVID and and the band was playing great, but the shows were very static. You know, all twenty twenty three was essentially the same set list and you wondered, well, that's.
Speaker 5: Not the Bruce Springsteen we know. Then you come to find that that he was dealing with some physical stuff peptic ulcer syndrome. So he's playing through pain, Rosie, much like Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: So so he can't make the club in the tub.
Speaker 5: Postponemus. They went away for a few months.
Speaker 4: They came back this year in twenty twenty four, and my goodness, it's been incredible. You still have the core setlist, but a lot of changes, you know, near the top of the set there, and a lot of good changes and night to night looseness that wasn't there last year.
Speaker 5: They're just playing.
Speaker 4: I mean I went to the show in Asbury Park, New Jersey, on the beach on the shore, and it was my sixtieth show Rosie.
Speaker 5: And it was the best one I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: So that goes to show you where he and the band are at at this stage, this late stage of their career.
Speaker 5: They can still get it done at a really epic, entertaining level. So that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Bands don't have home games, but that's a home game for the boss, isn't it.
Speaker 5: That was a home game, no doubt, no doubt. Forty thousand people in sand times.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's better that or the World Series for you, but either one is I imagined pretty good. A memorable year as well, but Anthony has always thanks so much for coming by. Enjoyed the off season what there is of it for you as you follow some of the moves and activity in Major League Baseball, and we always appreciate you coming by.
Speaker 5: Always fun coming on, Rosie, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: It's Anthony Kastervinz from MLB dot Com. Stay with us when we come back. We'll hear from Guardians pitching coach Carl Willis. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from the home studio as we join you offsite. Not at progressive feel this offseason, as year two of the renovations are well underway and the crews there working hard to try and complete that project as close to opening day as possible. Coming up shortly, we will be joined by pitching coach Carl Willis, who just completed his seventh season this go round on the Cleveland staff, fourteenth season overall as a Guardian's pitching coach, and the twenty first at the major league level, and we caught up with Carl just as the postseason run was beginning for Cleveland to talk to him not only about this year's team, but also about his career, and I think you'll find there's some pretty good indicators of what makes him tick and what has made him one of the best pitching coaches in the game for a long, long time. Five cy Young Award winners under Willis's watch, starting with c. C. Sabathia with the Indians back in two thousand and seven, then Cliff Lee in two thousand and eight. Then he moved to Seattle along with manager Eric Wedge for Felix Hernandez his cy Young season in twenty ten. He was in Boston when Rick Parcello won the cy Young in twenty sixteen, and of course was Cleveland's pitching coach when Shane Bieber won the award in twenty fi This year, the Guardians did it a little bit differently from what we've been accustomed to. As the starting rotation, they had to piece that together at various points in times due to injuries and some ineffectiveness for others, and the bullpen came to the forefront and man, was that a key for this ball club throughout the regular season. And when we caught up with Carl, we talked to him about the different way this year's team went about it on the pitching front.
Speaker 6: I think we've dealt with something here this year that we really haven't dealt with a lot in the past. You could go back maybe to twenty nineteen when we had some injuries and you know, we had Zach Pleazak and Aaron Savali and you know, some guys step in and just you know, were phenomenal in filling in as starters. This year, losing Shane Bieber was obviously, you know, there's no replacing Shane Bieber. And then with you know some of the struggles, if you will, with Tristan and Logan, you know, we've kind of had to piece together a bit of our rotation. I think Ben Lively, you know, I was talking to him yesterday. I mean, you know, thirteen wins, I mean, he saved us and he did, you know, the job he did. You can't put a price on it. You can't put a value on it because of how important he was. But we have had really strong bullpens here in past years. I think for the most part. Maybe those strong bullpens were bullpens that you know, we needed to get to the seventh or certainly get to the sixth. Whereas now, you know, with a number of guys we have out there who have the stuff and have performed, you know, really the entirety of however long any of them have been here, some from day one. Some sure it's a short look, but in the past month, six weeks. It allows us to go to the bullpen a little sooner and and not not lose anything. I mean, you know, sometimes when you know a great deal of clubs, when you have to go to the bullpen too early, and maybe you're not going to a guy that's you know, a lockdown guy. I feel like, you know, our guys, you know, we can bring guys in in the fourth or fifth inning that we could easily pitch into eighth inning. So yeah, they've carried our pitching staff, you know, Brad Goldberg and the bullpen has done a tremendous job and preparing those guys and keeping those guys together, and and they themselves, they're the true heroes. I mean, they have done it, and you know we're we've ridden them and we will continue to do so, I believe.
Speaker 2: And when you look at at your job compared to when you first started here back in the early two thousands at the major league level, Joe Torre is your assistant pitching, you're both pend coach Brad Goldberg, it seems like it it's a great benefit for you to have them. And what is that dynamic, like, how has that taken this pitching staff to another level in terms of what you can do for them?
Speaker 6: Well, I think, first of all, there's no words that I can use to describe how good those two guys are and how hard they work and how much they care. And I think people can lose sight of the fact of how much they care because they're in this for the right reasons. You know, this game is about the players and the three of us and I think our entire staff for that matter. But we work to help the players be the best it can be. And then voting and myself with the pitching, you know, we work hard to put each guy in situations where they can succeed, because if they succeed, the teams succeeds. And with Brad and Joe, you know, they loved this organization. They love our players and and they're here to win, and they're here to help these guys and and for me, uh, there's so much information now as you mentioned that back in two thousand and three, did just it did not exist. If it did, it existed in a lab somewhere that it wasn't being shared with us yet. And you know, some of this stuff I have, I have worked to learn and to get up to speed with. But these guys having been exposed to it maybe a little earlier than I was, because some of these things, in Brad's case working at Ohio State as an assistant pitching coach, you know some of these some of these things came through the collegiate level. Uh, and you know these facilities prior to it's almost like it was being and you know, does it work? So he and Joe because in the minor leagues as well, some things or you know, let's utilize this and see how it works and see what place it has. And you do it in the minor leagues and then you know, things at work come to the major league level. Things that don't maybe they get set aside. And so these guys really fill a void for me because they're you know more, in tune with it, understand it a little better, and when I need help with it, they can put it in my language. And that that's really really important. But you can't put a value on what those two guys do and how much Listen, I'll say how much they help me, but how much they help the pictures and how they go about it and they're caring and what they're in it for separates them.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that minor League. Part of the equation is that why so many young pictures at the in particular rookies who have come up and not missed a beat up here. Is there a certain familiarity when they get here that they already know what's going on from that technology standpoint that they've been exposed to already.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so, because that doesn't change the technology. You know, when we look at track Man, when we look at raps out, when we look at the different applications where we can look at pitch profiles and ballflight and what's happening, those things don't change when you come here. What changes is basically the hitters in the box are better, and so basically then here it's a matter of putting all the pieces together and learning. Okay, here's my stuff, here's what I have. It's major league caliber. How do I use it? How do I sequence it to get major league hitters out? But the other aspects, in terms of how we prepare and how we get them to the best version of themselves, they're already familiar with.
Speaker 2: Carl Willis joining us one, I have a little fun with you. More than forty years in the game now, nineteen eighty three, I believe Bristol, Tennessee was the first professional clubhouse you walked into.
Speaker 7: Do you remember much.
Speaker 2: About the early days there of your pro career as a pitcher?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember, you know, I was drafted and I was able to drive to Bristol. It was four hours from where I grew up, so I drove there, and Bristol was a little town that you know, depending upon what side of the main street you were on, you could be in Tennessee or you could be in Virginia. But I think for me, the one thing I remember more than anything else, and I've never forgotten this. I came from a small school UNC Wilmington, a mid major that is one of the best mid majors in the country today. But there were plays there from Texas and Arizona State and Michigan and you know, bigger schools, and obviously we guys drafted higher than I was. And I think the one thing I learned there, and you know, I watched guys throw and throw their bullpens, and i'm you know, I can do that. Maybe I didn't do it on as big as stage as they did, but I can do that, and I feel like it it instilled in me. Everyone matters. It can be a high round pick. You can be a guy that's bounced around, you can be a guy that's had you know, a couple of surgeries. But if you have the uniform on, then you deserve the attention from the coaching staff to help you become the best you can be, not just the guy who was the first pick of the draft or the first round pick. And so that's that's something I feel like I learned as a player. I had no idea was that were going to get into coaching at that time. I just was trying to work to stay in the game, you know, in the in the minor leagues. But I remember the bus rides. I remember, you know, the ballparks and the clubhouses, and certainly everywhere did a great job. But it's nothing like being in the major leagues, not even like being in Buffalo. But you know, it's a journey and and everyone matters.
Speaker 2: I found a roster. Do you know you were the only pitcher on that roster that year that made it to the major leagues.
Speaker 6: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 6: I remember we had a shortstop, Jim well Wander, who played the major leagues. We had to catcher Ray Pelasio's whose nephew Richie actually played with us. But but Ray made it the major leagues. I believe with Kansas.
Speaker 2: City, you three were the only ones, the only three.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, I'm good because I was afraid I was gonna forget something. You got them, so yeah that you know, that's something.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, it shows the odds though, how hard it is.
Speaker 6: Well it does, I mean, it truthfully does. And it shows how difficult it is.
Speaker 5: And and.
Speaker 6: Again I'm thankful to the coaches that I had along the way, who again was a twenty third round draft pick who got one thousand dollars to play professional baseball. You know, if I didn't make it, no one was going to get in trouble. But yet those guys took the time to work with each and every you know, person on the roster, and I'm thankful for that.
Speaker 2: And transitioning post playing career, How did you get the coaching bug and who gave you that first opportunity?
Speaker 6: Well, you know that that story is a tad bit lengthy. I you know, in nineteen ninety I was fitting Triple A actually with the Cleveland Indians in Colorado Springs, and I felt like my career was basically at the end. I wanted to stay in the game, and I started asking questions and asking, you know, coaches if they thought I could be a pitching coach or you know, stay in the game in some aspect, and they were like, sure, yeah, but you know you're still playing whatever. You know, As fate would have it, it was God's plan, I believe, you know. The following year, I signed with the Twins, and I can't explain to you everything or exactly what happened, but I ended up, you know, pitching in a World Series and playing there for a little over four years. And when my career did come to an end, because I was absolutely horrible, I wanted to stay in the game. But I also knew that I had asked an awful lot of my wife. We had started our family, and you know, getting back into this game means, you know, if you send out resumes, yeah, you may get a job. I live in North Carolina. I may be asked to go to Eugene, Oregon, or Vancouver, British Columbia, somewhere as far away home, and I wasn't sure I really wanted to do that. The only club that I really talked to about potentially doing anything was the Twins because that was the organization I had played the bulk of my career with and had some success and ended my career there. But on the plane rides in Minnesota with the Twins, I sat with the radio announcer John Gordon. We played Jim Rummy not for money, because I didn't want to lose money in poker games. And a year after I'd been out of baseball, Greg Booker was the pitching coach in Burlington and he left to become the bullpen coach in San Diego in the Major Leagues. So Cleveland was looking for a league pitching coach and John Gordon's son, Gordy Goatowski was Mark Shapiro's administrative assistant. Here. He was talking to his dad and John told Gordy, hey, you should call Carl Willis. He lives thirty minutes from Burlington, you know, see if he would be interested. So he passed that along to Mark Shapiro. Mark made a couple of calls to some folks he knew with the twins who knew me, and one thing led to another. He called me and he wanted me to fly up and talk about a minor league pitching coach job. And I told him I needed to speak more with my wife, and she said, listen, if they offer you a job, you need to take it because you're miserable without baseball. So I flew up. It was not the greatest tis my father was going through lung cancer at the time. I flew up and sat down with Mark and Mike Brown, who was the pitching coordinator at the time. We had a really good conversation and I ended up being hired. Mark told me I couldn't go to Burlington because he had promised another pitching coach, Dave Miller, that position for the following year. I would need to go to Watertown, New York. The first year, and then he could have me in Burlington the following year, and I just thought, you know, I really respected the fact that he would hold true to his word to Dave Miller, and it kind of gave me an insight of how this organization works and how honest they are, and they don't go back on their word, and they treat people, you know, the way people should be treated. So that was the beginning, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to grow, not only as a coach, but as a person because I've learned continually continuing to learn each and every day here from Chris Antonetti, from Mike Turnoff, from Paul Dolan, the people that are here now and the people that were here in the past. You know, I can talk about again Mark Shapiro, and you know, I could certainly talk about, you know, guys that I work with along the way, Eric Wedge, And again I mentioned Dave Miller. He was tremendous in helping me grow. They just help you grow as a person as well. And I think you can't lose the personal side of the relationships when you're trying to help these guys and coach these guys and I'm so appreciative of this organization forgiving me that opportunity and helping me.
Speaker 2: No one tells a better story than pitching coach Carl Willis of the Cleveland Guardians. Stay with us. We'll have some final thoughts after this on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 7: Drivers who switch and save with Progressive could save hunt, which could be life changing life. I mean, you could put that money towards concert tickets for your daughter to see that singer who sings about painful breakups and one song will inspire your little beauty to break up with that beast Chase dating Brian. Instead, she'll date someone who's nice and worthy of her love, not someone who addresses you and your spouse as bro. And it's all because you could save money switching at Progressive dot Com, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company and affiliate's not available in a those states.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly Jim Rosenhouse back with you for our final segment of this week's show. Just a reminder, from now until the weekend before Thanksgiving, which would be November the twenty third, that's when our last show before our break will be. Our show airs on WTAM in Cleveland at seven am on Saturday mornings. Check your local list. If your local Guardians Radio Network affiliate carries our show, you can hear it each weekend on the radio and also in podcast form shortly after it airs live on our flagship station in downtown Cleveland. So that's how you can pick up our show each week. A couple of news and notes from the week gone by. Congratulations to Guardians manager Steven Vote named the Sporting News Manager of the Year in the American League. So congratulations to Steven Vote. What a rookie season of managing it was for him. And the Fielding Bible Awards are out. A lot of different fielding awards, including the Gold Gloves. Those will come later on during the off season, but the Fielding Bible Awards are out, and as you would probably figure and expect, second baseman Andre Cimenez the Fielding Bible Award winner for all of baseball at second base, and pitcher Tanner Biby won a Fielding Bible Award as well for his work on the mound defensively. So congratulations to them. Will keep you hosted on all the different award winners as the off season rolls on. That's going to do it for our show this week. Thanks as always to Brian Motsee for helping to put together our show each and every week until next week. This is Jim Rosenhouse reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance