Speaker 1: Just stop it. Look we haven't said grace yet. Callum, you're there munching away corners. Look anyway, Look that the good ones amongst us will say grace for good times past, for our past, for horse and hound, and each fox found, for days of sport, champagne and port, for roden gum for rain and sun, for partridge and pigeon, pintail and widgeon, hound and horn, each dewy morn for wild salmon, and chalk stream cider beer and village green for country pubs. Thank God above for England's beauty and Christian duty, for every pint and every plateful. May the Good Lord make us truly grateful.
Speaker 2: Amen, decently, that was the very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Are you spiritually refreshed after that? Are you ready to carry on munching away on your corner shop custachio sticks? Callum.
Speaker 2: Always he's giving me the sustenance I need to get through.
Speaker 3: Presumably if they updated that grace now, that have to be sort of a stanza about digging out cubs whilst being filmed by a communist who's got whacked out on triple sis, which is a drug. Are we doing well, aren't.
Speaker 1: We honestly, I'm absolutely off my nut on triple s eyes. Actually, a lot of people who have triple s I woods on their farms or estates or land are absolutely off then out anyway, because it does the head in, because it's much more challenging to manage them well when it's a triple s then when it's not. So you know, there we go. It's a listen to us all, don't do triples eyes, kids, triple eyes, just say no quite.
Speaker 3: I recommend this show to people, you know, and then every time I do, they go, oh, I'll start with this one. No, don't start with that. I don't know how to get people started on the show. What is the gateway drug for country slide.
Speaker 2: Of course episode?
Speaker 3: And if they can handle it, Leslie Dolphin, maybe.
Speaker 1: It's probably something to be fair that that is it is. It's a bit like you know, day one when you join the army, they absolutely beast the ass off you. You're going, what on earth am I doing here? This is crazy? Why why have I joined this affair? Put them straight in with Leslie Dolphin and see if they are, you know, made of the stern stuff that we require from our listeners.
Speaker 2: The baptism of fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah it anyway. So what have you been up to, Richard? Have you been outside or have you been doing stupid book things?
Speaker 1: No, I've been largely doing stupid book things. I did yesterday go and talk to.
Speaker 2: The third Reich about why the curlyw is a good?
Speaker 3: Is evolved on who's trying to bring back the next one?
Speaker 1: It weren't quite like that. It was more I went to speak to some school children lace Than Primary school and then at the Old Valley Academy, which is the secondary school in Laystam and I talked to them about hedges and things that live in hedges. And then when I spoke.
Speaker 4: To the Guy magazine girls in the schools, they foolishly asked me how to write about landscape and the countryside because they've got a project on that, and.
Speaker 2: Who did you refer them to?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: You know? Interestingly? I took a selection of books because what I wanted to do was say that, you know, if you just read one about the countryside, nature and landscape, then you were missing a trick. So I took a selection of books by authors who I rate, and that was arranging from Henry Williamson through to Patrick Albraith, Patrick Lorry, Who else did.
Speaker 2: You always talk lovingly about Patrick Lorry? Yeah, from what I get from you, I think he seems like your favorite, all right.
Speaker 1: Him and Williamson actually, because both are completely slightly broken men in two different ways. Patrick Lorry I haven't met. I talked to him and correspond with him via email every once in a while, and I think he's a character who I believe his He lost the child and he and it was heartbreaking and heart wrenching for him. And I think that also people who live in geographically very challenging places because they are stark and harsh, I think that they are possibly made slightly up and down there in their psyche. And you can read that through everything that he writes. There is a melancholy through him. And I find the melancholy as well of Henry Williamson always very poignant because he was broken by the First World War. And yes, he turned into a raving fascist, but there was a reason why I turned as a raving fascist, because he was so determined that there would be no more war. He thought that was the only way out of it. And I find they're writing beautiful, fascinating one so I found myself in front of a bunch of school children saying, yeah, read these. The work of these is beautiful. But you know, I'm not held just one.
Speaker 3: I think we should point out that Henry Williamson is the older author for a Time gone By was a fascist in World War One. Patrick Lorry is a farmer in southwest Scotland. Current.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh you know, actually Lorry is not a fascist.
Speaker 3: No, I think I just wanted to make that separation clear.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But I think both of them are driven to things because of personal trauma and the fact that they are so close to the natural world, which tends you to be rather fatalistic, I suppose. And yeah, you're right, callum, I I do. I think he's he's a wonderful man, and he writes brilliantly, and I hope he does come out with a second book.
Speaker 3: Henry Williams unpresumably because I think he's dead.
Speaker 1: Well, yes he is, but he lived funny enough, I just went to the co op, which is right opposite where else and lived. No, he lived opposite the co op in Bottersdale, So you know it's it's amazing. Well, you think this village here, there was where down the road. Constella is where you can buy a four co. Stella is where Basil Brown, he who on Earth, Sutton Who and Henry Williamson both lived and they lived there at the same time. So can you imagine the guy who on Earth, Sutton Who and Henry Williamson lived in the same village at the same time. I mean, that is ridiculous, and it's a nondescript little old place and rather funny is that fact. Bottersdale also has a pub called the Greyhound, and the sign on the Greyhound is a Springer Spaniel, So you know what's not to like? That's as suffolk as they come in it.
Speaker 3: Was he as autistic Basil Brown as the way he was portrayed in that film off of Netflix, do you know, because it was like they were clearly portraying him in a certain neurodiverse light. Weren't they.
Speaker 1: Interesting? Fines paid him, didn't he grave fines? I don't think so. I think that actually from what I'm told was that basically he was a digger, and so therefore he was a person who dug holes. And if he wasn't digging holes for sort of in inverticon, was buried treasure. He probably would have been digging holes to go fencing or something like that, so therefore he was just a good old boy. I mean, they had to teach Ray Finds to speak with a Suffolk accent because he although finds is Jake finds his brother is that he you know, and both are from actually for North. Both of them have lost it to such a degree that you don't hear it. So they had to get this bloke called Charlie Haylock to teach them. Although I was told in delighted tones by somebody from Uh, Charlie Haylock came up in the conversation you go, well, you know, he goes and teaches all these old boys to go and speak Suffolk. He goes and even from Suffolk originally, which in so it means you are damned. If you went from Suffolk originally, you're a thur inner.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's what I've been up to talking to kids.
Speaker 3: And speaking of neurodiversity and digging holes. You probably shouldn't be callum, and you're not allowed to mention anything to do with AI. We've already decided that.
Speaker 2: You'll have to I have to forgive my AI seizures that I've had this week.
Speaker 3: I've been on the phone with you for an hour today talking about a wen need anymore.
Speaker 2: It's been good chat, been good chat.
Speaker 3: Well technically employee at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, staff of two and one of them is not really me. I'm not allowed to talk about it, and it's really difficult not to talk about it because we've been doing some real fun things.
Speaker 1: Well you're not allowed to.
Speaker 3: I've banned him because it's born ring.
Speaker 2: Stop boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about real things out there and then talk about real things.
Speaker 2: What do you know what I did? I went and photographed the f A Cup Final.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's real.
Speaker 2: That was a real thing. What an experience to be at an f A Cup Final at Wembley. It's yeah, a mad, a mad place to find yourself in. The thing I love about photography is you really don't know what next week could hold for you. Like, you know, you could be rocking up to a baron's house to photograph his collection of toneaw clippings, and then the next week you're at an f A Cup final and the next week you know you're doing Lord Muller racing. It's just the maddest stuff. But yeah, f a Cup final, never done any anything quite like it. Not really geared up for it as much as I should be. But my brief was basically to show the ONM Beyonce and the cool stuff and the fans loving it. So I nailed it and it was really good and the clients love.
Speaker 3: It all right. So let's do a quiz now, which teams were playing.
Speaker 2: The blue ones? Yep, there was that, the blue ones, the dark blue one and the light blue one. And you know me, because I'm a big sports fan. My favorite thing about large sporting events is that usually the river banks a lot quieter. But you know, go sports, go sports?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 3: Is that the round one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're thinking of the hand eggs the other one?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: And also I ended up photographing marrow in Toja the England laps.
Speaker 1: That's the Arrowy.
Speaker 3: Need subtitles?
Speaker 2: And a dog?
Speaker 1: Did he have Callum? Did he have a dog?
Speaker 2: He had a little spaniel, a little black spaniel that somebody sort of gave him And that was the biggest smile we had all day. As soon as someone handed him a dog. He was a spaniel specifically, he was loving it. So he loved it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, were you aware of the quite large protests happening elsewhere in the city on the same day as the f A Cup final or was that completely we were completely oblivious.
Speaker 2: To limiting the racist epicenter of the UK at present and getting the very train line that runs from the hotel that they've been setting fireworks outside, and and and probably put your council tax up by another one hundred quid a month. Yes, I was aware, and they closed the central line and I had to get replacement bus service, which took me an hour extra on top of my journey. I was very aware. There was quite a few people on my train that were that were draped in flags. So yeah, yeah, there was, well, there was things happening, but I don't think it was that. I'm not sure if it's sort of left versus right, but I don't think there was that big a turnout. What's his name, Johnny Johnny four names whatever he is called.
Speaker 3: Rob, Robbie Stewart, Stewart's Inquiry.
Speaker 2: Stuart Lexicon, Tom Tomlinson, that fella he he put out there was like three million people at one point. Someone's got a sparse gathering of people on Parliament Square so I'm not sure which one to believe.
Speaker 1: Well, there were the reports vary. I mean, he said there were million, which just sounds like a big number.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: I think he's gone to the same school of counting that Donald Trump and Diane Abbott went to. But the original count by the Metropolitan Police was sixty thousand, and then they went up to between one hundred to one hundred and fifty thousand. Now, I was on the Countryside March back when the Countryside March was, and they know that there was four hundred for brilliant, wasn't it four hundred and fifty six thousand? People marched on that because they actually had counters, so they you know, so they could actually go and say this is the way to numbers. And as Richard says, well that was effective. Yeah, that was good fun. You know, so hunting went, the post offices got closed. You know, everything that there was we marched for still got either band or shut. But the I think the weight of numbers that there is a It's funny. I don't like marches and protests and things like that. I just think that they're it depends largely what do you know for anything. I just think that when you're protesting, Yes, you're making your voice heard, but ultimately you're either going to go, oh look, I don't think anyone's gone, gosh, there's a lot of people there. I'm going to go and join them. I think what either happens is you go, you bloody idiot, you're getting in my way. And I remember when I was on that countryside march, some bloke, you know, in a in a sort of urban dress. He went, oh, he goes, get off my land, and I thought, actually that's very clever, because all of a sudden, I'm walking up the mauth and we're all sort of looking a bit starry eyed and struck because we're in London. And get off my lap, you know, as in what you're doing in my manner, your dickhead. And I thought, yeah, actually that's true. So most people you either piss off or you inconvenience, You enrage some people who've got the opposite opinion. And do you go and say, oh, yeah, I'm now inspired to that. I don't think so. I mean, I don't know, what do you think Richard is a march any use?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I always urge people towards the political and democratic process, even though I think it is now completely pointless. It's sort of it's the shittest process we have, but it's the only process we have, So you have that. But I think marches work to a degree. I just don't like, well, this conversation we're having now, you can't say for certain how many people are there. I don't entirely trust anyone reporting from it, either unofficially or officially, because every kind of reporting has an agenda to it now as well, including despite having them as clients. The police would agree because it's part of community cohesion is to make sure that you portray a certain message. So we can't know what happened or what order it happened, and what was ignored and what was focused on because at the end of the day, it's all human biased decisions. So I think if you wanted to go, and you wanted to do it safely and legally, you should go. But I also don't think that it is the only option open to you, you know, And I don't think also you can make assumptions about why people are there, because you could have picked any ten people there and probably got twelve different answers about exactly which issues drove them there on that day. I think the only thing is with this that were kind of at a political point at the moment, which is a bit like the Brexit vote, that the Brexit vote wasn't really about Europe. It was about people felt they weren't really interested in sort of exactly the trade arrangements between here and Europe and freedom of movement and that kind of thing they had. We'd had thirty odd years of every news outlet saying Europe would let us do this, and the government happily going along with it, whichever government flavor it was. So when eventually you say, well there's this big thing in Europe that prevents us doing things. Do you want to get out of it? Everyone went, yeah, let's change it. Yeah, well half the country did, and it wasn't really about the issue that was being voted on. I think that's kind of what's happening now, particularly people want to change. It's very difficult, I think if you're a political party most of them at the moment to say you see those people over there, they're completely amateurs and idiots and brand new and they've never done anything in the political sphere. You should listen to me because no matter which party I'm from, if I've been in the political establishment for over the last ten years, I've probably things up quite royally for you, because all of them have.
Speaker 1: I why it's up, and I won't up like the other ones because I'm better. Yeah, it's quite che.
Speaker 3: By Na Dean Dorries at the moment saying that the Online Harms Bill because now it's affecting reform, should be repealed, even though she was the one who actually did a soft wrap I think was part of her promo campaign for it. Yeah, anyway, we should probably have some sort of go back to a full on monarchy instead.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the way. That's the way. So basically, can you watched a football match between two blue teams and one of the blue teams?
Speaker 2: No sports? Go blue team sports?
Speaker 1: Yes exactly, So there we go.
Speaker 3: Speaking of a monarchy, let's talk about oysters.
Speaker 2: Oysters.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Well, there'll be a link to this out in the show notes people, But I would like to try your eye. Imagine a sort of you're hovering over the UK. You're up there at very high altitude, look down to the bottom left sort of the bit that's not quite the good bit which is Cornwall. But the bit before, which is Devon, isn't quite as good as Cornwall, but it's better than Somerset. We can all agree on that it does.
Speaker 1: Do the right thing. With a cream tea? Am I correcting that they put they put cream on first, then the jam. That's that's the better thing about Devon, is that right, Richard? That won't create any.
Speaker 3: I actually do agree with that the Devon way is better. But if I stay that in Cornwall, I'll be shot.
Speaker 1: He's been gone for so long.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Back to oysters, Yes, Berg, So you go down to the River Avon. Yeah, and then all the way down there's the there's a place called Batham and at Batham, man called tim Edwards was farming oysters and it's on the dutchy Cornwall land and the estate that owns the riverbed there, and they said no, you're not allowed to farm oysters here anymore because he was farming Pacific oysters, not our native oysters. And they could be sort of farmed in the intertital zone. You have these big cage things. They've got one of the men I straights up here in North Wales, and you farm them there and they are so that they're triploid, so effectively the sterile, and it's meant to be that there is no effect on the habitat from the farming, but they do escape at the spread to where they spread to other places, they break off and you get all sorts of things, but they don't they don't reproduce.
Speaker 2: What's different about.
Speaker 3: They're from the other side of the world. Yeah, it is the American signal crayfish compared to our native brown. That's what it is, except without the predation and the disease.
Speaker 2: Do they look different? They look all right, Okay, So one's like a standard white, the oyster we all know and love. And then what do these look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so native voices that the I suppose to call them more squish the flatter, whereas the Pacific oisters are big and jagged and sort of the size of your hand.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: But he's been told he's not allowed to farm them anymore because they're non native, Okay, which is interesting, so on paper, not doing any harm. But the reason that Dutches say they've given them is that they are non native, which I find very very interesting.
Speaker 2: So I assume they're going to stop pheasant shooting, well, there be no more mont jack and gray squirrels will all go.
Speaker 3: Pheasant shooting starts with pheasant farming too a degree.
Speaker 2: Of course, So the native British pheasant.
Speaker 3: Is it a narrow wedge, you know, well native but non native.
Speaker 2: Artridge that will obviously not stick around.
Speaker 1: Of course, to be fair, where Sandringham is, they are no longer allowed to put pheasants down. But I think more to the point is that they let's think about their farming. They are actually farming, and I can assure you that on dutchy Land they have not all got on their farms native breed cattle and cheap so therefore it's a bit oxymoronic. So is it bad too? I mean, okay, So what's the downsides ecologically speaking of having a triploid i A something that can't actually spread. What is the downside of having a sterile non native species being farmed, which is still as a bivalve is cleaning the water there because that's how they do it. They filter it through, so they make that estuary cleaner. Is it any better or worse than if you had a native oyster? And can you farm native oysters? I don't know. I'd see. I'm going off to do some exploration about oyster farming and I haven't yet been so I know nothing about oyster farmer. Is it possible, Richard? Do you know could you put a native oyster?
Speaker 3: I think you probably it was technically possible. It might not be economically viable, and it might Farming native species is a hard one anyway, yes, because then you've got the harvesting, because you can you can propagate them, but then you've got to harvest some of this. Obviously. Sometimes it's the harvesting that the needs a license than any Most often you need a license or you have sort of a limit of what you can do. Specific oces are class as invasive invasive, so like rhododendron like well, weirdly here on the North Wales coast see book thorn, which sort of the coastal version of and as classes an invasive. It's native to the UK, not really native to North Wales. You've got it on your side of the country.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's very eastern, but they've it's classes it's invasive on sand dunes, particularly here because it was planted in people's gardens and things and it colonizes the sand.
Speaker 3: Dunes right next to it. So I think that's sort of the argument. It's an invasive non native. It's like, so somebody look out, it might go hang on, that person's farming Japanese not weed. We should not have him do that. But it's a bit bit of a I don't know, it's a bit of a shame, this one little thing.
Speaker 2: Smell a rat. I want to know what the what the actual reason is, because that sounds to me like a classic I just say that. Excuse yeah, I just I can't see. Someone must have got the idea and thought, well, if we're going to say that, there's a lot of things we do that aren't native and don't align with that thought process. But clearly they didn't.
Speaker 3: And there's a there's a whole point with this that is that the there is the official statement we've got here from the Duchy. Presumably they pass it down the left hand side to the oppress officer, but the Duchy of Cornwall has a long standing commitment to responsible land and marine management. By fasing out Pacific oysters in our estuaries, we are acting responsibly in line with direct discussions with Marine Conservation. I don't know why that's making a noise. Sorry, marine conservation societies, government policy, and our own environmental stewardship commitments. We have been in conversation with all of our license holders on this topic since twenty twenty three and will remain willing to work together support native oyster farming and other forms of environmentally responsible agriculture. Now I wonder whether this is the only guy that does this and he's the one that's kicked off and gone to the news, or is it that lots of others have and he is the only one. I don't know, but it just seems like a very interesting thing that the non native part of it, of a commercial activity, has been picked on for this. So watch that space, I would say, with the royal properties as we sort of change over from Charlie to William.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, we do know because it was announced in the press that the Prince of Wales is currently selling off I believe one fifth of the assets or is liquidating one fifth of the assets of the duchy so that he can increase housing and nature recovery on duchy land. Now that is an across the board, quite a broad brushstroke. Now, it perhaps should be explained that the Duchy of Cornwall exists because when Prince Edward I, the son of the Queen Victoria, because she clung onto life for such a long while that he was well, basically he's more or less impoverished because and he had to keep going to mum for money. And so when he became the king, he said, no, law more will the Prince of Wales have to go and go on bended knee. So the Duchy of Cornwall, and as a private income, was gifted to each Prince of Wales in perpetuity. And let's be honest, the Princes of Wales have been pre switched on cookies. But particularly and when we say cookies, I mean who doesn't think of the dutchy original biscuit. The King as he now is, when he was the Prince wal was, he made the duchy this amazingly effective thing. And I believe that William, the Prince of Wales now is his own man and he's doing his own thing. So if he is trying to liquidate assets, is it actually that he said, well, you don't fit into my plans for basically my business that I have got in trust until young Prince George becomes the next Prince of Wales. So perhaps he thinks he is I mean, it may be that they're trying to window dress a bit of always or non native species. And if he's saying that, look, we don't mind you farming bivalves here, but we want you to do native ones, which probably I presume would be muscles, then crack on. But we're not having you going and doing something which potentially could be ruinous to wider native biodiversity. And there is that there is a precedent. When you think about you know, signal crayfish that they have been disastrous, you think about salmon farming that's been disastrous. I would actually say that in typical palace fashion, they've tried to window dress something which is utterly correct, and some poor chap who has been earning, is living, has suddenly been put out of a job. But because his boss is the Prince of Wales, he gets to winge about it publicly and people feel sorry for him. Yet the countless numbers of farmers who have been put in utter penury because of this shower of a government are all called tofts. So in a way I actually feel that I'm not a monarchist at all. Obviously, as you can tell, I feel that probably the Prince of Wales has done the right thing because he has said, do you know what, this isn't right? We can do this a better way. But there's always somebody that when you change something, who gets the shitty end of the stick. Unfortunately, is that poor oyster farmer in heaven. That's my view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I sort of agree with that, but overall, I think I prefer sort of a feudal or sort of a monarchic system, because the person might make crap decisions, but at least they have to live with them in that with their people that're in that job for life, whereas a politician sort of incompetently makes a decision because it makes people think they'll like him, and then yeah, yeah, he sods off after four years to a guarantee job somewhere else.
Speaker 2: We paid for it fifty grand.
Speaker 3: Edward the Seventh as well, interesting chap, you know, possibly impoverished because he spent most of his time shagging his way around in Europe and for a way to go, though famously had a chair made for him so he could have sector two women at once.
Speaker 1: The pleasuring chair.
Speaker 3: Yes, French cabinet makers. Soubrier made it for him. So go and look up Edward the Seventh's love chair. It's quite an interesting yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like how Nikola Tesla he used to he never wrote things down because he used to think of the design in his head and basically fully build it out. I'm just trying to think without googling it.
Speaker 3: Your love chair.
Speaker 2: Everybody, everybody sit there in your head. We'll just take a second. We'll just take a deep breath and just imagine a chair in the particular shape which would allow a person to make love to two women at once with I assume one genital organ.
Speaker 1: That's that's why it didn't work like that. He used something other than his primary genital organ. He used other extremities. My hand thinking, look at my hands, Look at this flushed, reddened face, my toes, they could.
Speaker 3: All be used when rather you didn't without nails.
Speaker 2: I thought, because your background was so white, is why your face had gone so pink. But your hands are also white, So that means that your face, maybe the inside.
Speaker 1: Insides, are are all wonky, aren't they checked?
Speaker 2: I checked the other week. I did a hex match to your face. I think in a farroh and ball color. You were Nancy's knickerbockers, which is just slightly off of a rose.
Speaker 1: Back Nancy's.
Speaker 2: You were like a nice sort of not nearly a crimson pink boiled lobster.
Speaker 1: Yea. Interestingly, just to point back on your your thing in the cold Chester oysters, so in calums manner.
Speaker 3: Actually the news story not the shagging chair, right.
Speaker 1: Not the shagging chair. Back onto what you were talking about. Cold Chester oysters are grown and massive conservation efforts are actively restoring their natural wild populations in marine consivation zones. So therefore down in Essex they are at Colchester oysters they are actually using the native ones because if you think about it, oysters used to be so prevalent and common that they were the working man's food. They beef and oyster pie and and things like that were Cockney's food. There. Look at the Thames, it's still full.
Speaker 2: I went to Mersey Island for a little day trip a couple of weeks ago, really nice down there, and there's just you go along the on the little foreshore bit and there's there's oysters everywhere, crunching over oysters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was it was a thing that there was the working man's food, and it was quite funny that how they're now considered.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was lobster was originally used as a fertilizer.
Speaker 1: Main lobster was basically when the main lobster became a thing, because I'm very clever businessman thought well we got a lot of.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. So they were catching as a byproduct, and they went, what we're going to do with these I know we'll do. We'll tell all the people don't come from around here before the days of social media and everyone knowing what was going on because you've only got to google it, and you said, oh, this is really rare thing called the main lobster, and it went really okay, yeah, and it's like really expensive. Really, you know, it'd be a bit like saying look, I've got this stuff called dog shit to all the cat owners. They go, well dogshit, and he goes, oh, yes, it's brilliant. You want to have dogshit, but in your garden it'll be brilliant for this stuff. And you believe it because it's something that you haven't seen. And if you come from the Midwest, this idea that there is when refrigeration first camera and you and you sold it that. But back to your oyster thing, I think that there must be hats off in a way, although I feel sorry for any farmer or any business person who has built up a business that say yeah, absolutely, go ahead, that's great because you're doing loads of employment and all that blah blah blah blah, and then all of a sudden somebody goes and says, no, you can't do it. Ah. But let's be honest, it's exactly the same as being a coal miner, is exactly the self same as being a person who is a professional hunt servant, And it's probably the way things are going the way that it's going to be being a professional gamekeeper. Some knob head somewhere has decided we don't want you to do this, and so therefore they legislate against it. Give it a bit of window dressing that it's all good for the environment. But because it happens to be this particular instance, it's the next in line to the throne. The individual who's being put out of a job is being made to be this individual who let's feel sorry for it. So I think asked the story.
Speaker 3: I remember we had We used to go to other countries and sort of put color them in pink and have them as ours and tell people they're not allowed to have that job they're managing that land any more. We were told that was wrong, We're not allowed to do that, but it's okay to do it here anyway. Talking about decolonizing the curriculum. Yes, what's this thing about trees? Richard?
Speaker 1: Oh, do you know? I have been googling this thing century the tree Equity score, right, and so I follow this thing the tech and.
Speaker 3: I've paid all off on my debts, so I've got a good one of those now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tree Equity Score. It does sound like an advert actually on GB News, doesn't It is you on GB News they have the funniest adverts ever. It's basically people who listen to GB News and they really like it, and then they go, I know what we'll do. We'll advertise on GB News and they're going to say, are we going to be able to sell this thing on GB News? I don't care. I'm just going to do it anyway. But Tree Equity Score does sound like that. It sounds like something you'll get a free Parker pen just if you go and inquire anyway, did you know what I'm going to tell you this? I have no bloody idea what the tree equity score is because I have tried to navigate their stupid system. But I have a sneaky feeling that it's a bit like Cat Frampton's peat map of doom. In other words, I think it's a load of old cobblers, because I think it's something to do with a national standard in each UK country to help make the case for investment in areas with greatest need. I think by investment they mean planting more trees because that aren't green enough. Yeah. So, in other words, what they're trying to do is they are desperately trying to go and put trees everywhere to how have.
Speaker 2: They blocked out fairy like by the kilometer or is it like tow region.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to put in your home address and then it will tell tell you what your score is. Now, I think it's largely as far as I can see, basically urban areas of telling how many trees are there and how many, in their opinion, we should be there one tree. I do not get at all how this thing works, because as soon as you come out of a out of an urban area, it stops. So I believe, Richard, you haven't got a tree equity score. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: I'm retord, I haven't got a tree equity score. I am looking out of the window in the office, and I can see I've got about seventy trees, yes, half of which I've planted.
Speaker 1: Okay, I haven't got a tree equity score either, probably because it might the Internet might have been blocked out courtesy of the oak tree that is shading me at the moment. I don't know. But the long and the short of it seems to be that what it's do is this arbitrary thing that if you haven't got lots of trees, then somehow it's really bad. Now I noticed that one of the things if you go on this map and you zoom down to London, right, is that obviously all that's it's terrible. You know, London hasn't got enough trees. But that's a load of old pony because in history London.
Speaker 2: Lots of plane trees everywhere.
Speaker 1: Of course that's but it's also, oh no, they don't like plane trees.
Speaker 3: I heard the seventh chair.
Speaker 1: I heard someone wings about that was because I tell you it was. It was that buffo numb Ben Goldsmith. He was saying that all plane trees should know plant more plane trees. The London plane you say, oh, they're a foreign hybrid. Now that's true, true, But I mean this is a foreign hybrid that back, well, I'll tell you what a foreign hybrid. That's some sixteen forty or something like that. I think was when they produced this tree, and that it sucks in more carbon and can live with pollution and it's wonderful. But he didn't like it because it produced some pollen that apparently gave him asthma. They call it chelsea lung, which probably highlights the thing.
Speaker 2: But anyway back, the London plane also does miraculous things when it gets hot. When it gets hot, it actually, instead of getting that heat what's it called the heat shock? Yeah, where Jettison's it makes more water and actually calls the city down, so it has a net positive. It doesn't get the heat shock and closed down and drop all its leaves by like the end of July.
Speaker 1: You absolutely make the point. Yet this is the same Ben Goldsmith that thinks that species that went extinct because they were incompatible with modern Britain should be reintroduced. But a species that more or less evolved courtesy of the fact that it could live with our polluted cities he thinks should be got rid of.
Speaker 2: So there we go, get rid of them, and we'll all go back to the London smog like the good old days, and we can all feel really bad. Not only can we not hear our electric cars, but it will be hit by them because the London streets will be sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. But as far as I can tell, what this is is yet another stick to beat us with to say that we must plant more trees. Now, the one thing I will say, I have been up last week where I spoke to you from up in the Dales. First of all, I was in wednesley Dale and Swaledale, and then I went up to Weirdale.
Speaker 2: Weird sounds the only place that actually sounds like it could exist the other one.
Speaker 1: But there are all places where, if you let loose these freaks who want to plant trees everywhere, much the same as where Richard lives, and they're older, plant trees in the uplands because that's where they should be. I saw marks there of when that trees haven't been in our landscape for such a long while that a lot of these places have forgotten what trees should be. And so therefore I think that the Woodland Trust, who I do have time for, but stop making stupid shit like tree equity scores, because it's exactly the same as what Kat Frampton told us about that pathetic carbon peat map thing that Natural England produced is it's just bunkum. It's it's trying to dictate in some stressing something up with a wash of green, that they're going to take over your lives and destroy you. That's as far as I can see of it, Richard.
Speaker 3: I've got quite a dispiriting rant to go on for this calum Do.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm just looking two places near me? I've got the full one hundred trees school, Okay, I mean with mighty.
Speaker 3: Close if you live in an arboretum, don't you.
Speaker 2: We're mighty close to repping forest.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was exactly that Surrey. Surrey is still the most wooded county in England. In Surrey, for pity's sakes, it's it's because and why is it the most wooded county? Because the soil is so ship there that you couldn't really use it for farming. And Hertfordshire was a joke because if you look at read sense and sensibility, isn't it where they're based In Hertfordshire they were considered bumpkins because they lived there. And again it was this rural enclave. It was full of trees because why well, you couldn't farm anything there. So therefore I had no prosperity put nut trees on. But they used to in Surrey before it became stopbroken belt. When steam engines are put in, you grew nuts trees on there. So it's the most wooded county in Britain because basically you plant trees with a landish shit. So there you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what's your take on this column?
Speaker 2: I mean, we don't we like don't we like numbers? Don't we like I know this might not inform. Yeah, you've got there is probably quite a bit of bullshit. But I can see if I look in my general vicinity, I can see areas which look like they could do with a few more trees.
Speaker 3: So I'm always a little.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, what what's going to do well? In certain places? Sometimes I think when you like well managed. So at the moment we seem to have a large amount of wildlife that has nested and built nests in places that is not compatible with sustaining wildlife. So last week was all the goslings have been eaten by the fox. Two days ago I saw ten chicks off of some mallards and they're all gone now, all ten. The coup had a chick yesterday. I haven't been back down the pond, but I'm saying so far, so far we've had three goslings and ten mallard chicks. They're all gone, so I assume that the coot chick's probably gonna full foul of the same fate. But they're a bit they're a little bit smarter and a bit craftier. The goslins are just stupid. They're up on the side and they're they're easy pickings. I'm really surprised that the mallards all of the chicks were gone within a day, and I'm hopeful that the coop chick might might come through. But also the missus had a run in the other day where she found a mallard egg in the road and the two mallards going off because there was cars all up on the side of where the school is. So planting trees and encouraging wildlife in places and areas where they can't really sustain wildlife, it's a bit of a shit idea, isn't it. So are you ready to yeah, unleash, I'm going to say my too long didn't read is I am? I like numbers, and if numbers inform good decisions, that you can use the data to plant more trees. I think net positive. I like it. I like the numbers. I like that it can inform good decision making with practitioners, and I will caveat this with practitioners in the countryside that actually know what they're talking about, not just ah, your score is sixty, let's make it ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I also think that you need to make sure that you encourage wildlife and trees and plant things in places that can sustain actual wildlife, because it's pointless having clutches and clutches of ducks and chicks and birds and stuff if they're all going to get eaten by apex predators in the wrong places and poorly managed land. Okay, Prido, go.
Speaker 3: Right to tell this story properly, I have to go back to the Spanish Civil War. No, okay, three levels. There's three levels to this. One is that there's this perception that we've cut down all the trees, that we don't have any trees. In nineteen fifty, Britain's tree cover was six percent. Now it's about thirteen and it's probably actually a bit more because we're we're still not very good at mapping it and that really doesn't include hedgerows, it doesn't include all the other stuff. So about thirteen percent, So we've overdoubled in the last seventy five years, and that's the bit that everyone's been paying attention to as well. The thing that really lost as our tree cover was the Industrial Revolution and the First World War. Those two events dropped our tree cover right down because we turned the trees into into the things that we were going to burn or build some out of, or used to prop up the trenches, whilst we gave Jerry a good hiding. Yes, so in about seventeen fifty tree cover was about ten to twelve percent. Because we don't really know, I having to go off old maps and things, but we've basically restored ourselves to before the massive deforestation event of British civilization over the last two thousand years. So we've done very very well at recovering our trees. Now there's an argument to be said that a giant sit caplantation, even though it's a great tree farm, isn't great for everything. But you know, we're there in terms of tree numbers. We've got it the but that's not Most people don't know that because if you look at any of the stats or any of the common tree that we've cut all the trees down, but there's loads. So you have that, you've got the thing that Callum pointed out that trees in urban areas don't really work. Trees in parks work well, but a random tree in the middle of a sort of at the edge of a road junction or something like that, most people decided they didn't want it there because well, it got in the way of the prams, and the roots lifted the tarmac and the leaves came down on people's cars and all the sap, and particularly when you look at black poplars and the female black poplars, all the sap from there dropped onto people's cars and were sticky, and they didn't like that, so they cut them down. Branches fall off, they get cut down. I mean there are huge crews, Richard, don't they Yes, exactly, well, there's huge crews of arboris who do quite good have quite a good living all across London, just constantly parlarding and pruning London plane trees in the back gardens of people's houses. So people don't tend to want trees in towns on that. Individuals do, but actually when it comes down to it, they don't want them. The private landowners don't want them, and the council really don't want them. So you have that. The third thing is the Woodland Trust of charity. But like all charities, like all social enterprises, like all of these things that have to compete for grant money and for donations, you are incentivized not in some sort of crafty nudge nudge wink wink. You know we all know the real score here way, No, literally, in the grand applications, you're incentivized to have public support for what you do. You also need to find a problem to solve. You don't get grant money for just doing a good thing. You have to identify. This is a huge problem and all the local community whatever supporters solving this problem. Mister Lottery, can I have one point five million to solve this problem. Now that mindset is built into the grunt applications, you can't get around it. It's also there in the mindset of most charities, and that the structure because that's the main funding model, which means when you look at RSPB, RSPCA, any rs whatever you wanted, Woodland Trust, WILDLFE trusts, any charity that evolves sort of land or wildlife, all of the problems now have to be about people's access to that thing, because you have to say to people a bit like the Right to Rome campaign, you don't have access to that thing, but if we get money, or you give us money, or you give us support, you get that thing. Weirdly and waiting waiting for the first charity to say, the people of Birmingham Coventry don't have ready access to a coastline. So what we're going to do is charge the Bristol channel further up so that they're within five miles.
Speaker 2: Of the coast.
Speaker 3: Well quite get rid of most of Warwickshire witch, but you don't get coast equity scores. Do you where you say, the people of Lincolnshire or less. Well, actually Lincolnshire is not bad, but le say have low coast equity because they're a long way from the coast. If you're in the middle of a town where there aren't many trees anyway, you are going to have a low treequity. But that's where most of the people are. So it's a very clever thing the Woodland Trusts have done here, which is they said that thing that you are guaranteed to not have access to, we need to solve and will solve that by you giving us money or as getting money from other people. They also get to go to funders and say here's a huge problem, evidenced by the fact look at all these people and people in the inner city are often they have lower income, they don't own their own houses, they don't own huge property. I think there's a stat on the Woodland Trust website that says wealthy neighborhoods and two point three times more likely to have to have trees nearby. But they're including rural areas as wealthy neighborhoods. Well, this is the old thing about rural poor people don't exist because they still have to spend a lot of money to live. The whole thing is a myth. The whole thing is a fake, but it is a fake that is designed by the charity system and the social enterprise system. I know this because I've been a trustee of a charity, I work with charity as I've been on the other side of this funding. And this is not just it's not just like the def repeat mapp or though that's a very good similar it's also the same game that the RSPB are playing with what they said about morelands today and the wildfire and the smoke and things like that, saying it's actually it's grousemoores and that's why they need to be licensed. Well, in Wales we have one grouse more and it's the size of a postage stamp. But we have lots of wildfires too, But that must be sheep farmers instead. But that's a different campaign. It's not this week's campaign. This week it's grousemoores. So you have an incentivization to find a problem and tell the wider community this is your problem and we can solve it for you if we get this thing. So tree equity is a marvelous piece because a problem that can never be solved, and really for most cases, actually it's a problem that's already been solved because we've doubled our tree cover. So it's I'm actually quite impressed with them. It's, you know, begrudgingly you look at it and go, that's quite good. It's like it's like the Nazi is overcoming an imagine O line, like they're giving all their giving all the soldiers' speed and making sure they didn't stop. You go, well, it's probably not a good thing, but actually it's quite a good strategy.
Speaker 1: Do you think that. I mean, I've got a say, I've got a sneaking like thinking, I've got a sneaking like for the for the Woodland Trust, because I think that there is eighty percent of them have got an admirable aim. I don't like the fact that they think the woods should just be planted and they stay in perpetuity untouched, because that's just bonkers, because that's not what woods in Britain are bank But do you think, as you've explained it there, Richard Woodland Trust thought when they set about they say, haha, here's an old cash cow that I'm going to milk till she's dry. Or do you think that they're almost so determined that their own farts don't stink that they actually believe all this chizzle?
Speaker 3: Uh different people. There's a marketing arm for all these charities and the larger charities, which is basic marketing and fundraising. It's what they need before they've plant the tree, before they're giving the tree, pack out or whatever you need to get the money in. They are quite shrewd generally. They know the score, they know what's happening. You have then lots of people working on the ground, volunteers, conservationists, stuff like that. There they're all people who, I do think, to one degree or another earnestly believe in the mission. And they know it's not perfect what they're trying to achieve with their charity, but they believe in that mission and they'll get behind it because they've never seen the fundraising side of things. And then you have people who are being paid the executive level and they sort of they've seen both sides of it. They go, sod it, I'm forty seven, I'll just hang on for the pension.
Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, probably true, And I'm I'm sure that is the case, because I mean most of the people you think, Callum, you know you've met Mark Mauers, and what a wonderful chap he is. I'm at day from the Lake and heath Fen Reserve and you would not meet a better man. You know, they're at Lake and heath Fen. They have quite literally been the savior of the inland bitten and the crane lives because of these people. Yet, are you going to say, well, that's going to inspire me to go and join the RSPB. No, because I can only think of those individuals who are the slightly cynical marketeers and senior executives who are either intentionally or I don't know, not by perhaps not wholly by machiavellian intent, but they are detrimental to the countryside and to wider wildlife because they are using the countryside and wilder wildlife as a tool and a machine to achieve their goal, which is ultimately to keep their organization going. So perhaps you think, then, Richard, that the tree equity, whatever it's bloody called, is largely just a very clever marketing tool to keep woodland trust relevance.
Speaker 3: We're talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: We always say about negative, negative news stories and stuff make better publicity. But you can spin you can spin both narratives on this. You can put this because the success stories of anyone that's got a good score thanks to the Woodland Trust. But then they can also pick out areas with you know, a sixty score out of one hundred or whatever it is, and then say, oh, look how terrible these places are. With our help, we can do this, and this is how we get funding. The average in the area is ten times more than this, and you know, this is what we can do. So they're able to spin up good storytelling to get funding out of it's just a clinical marketing view.
Speaker 3: There's quite a good alignment there, isn't there. Because it makes you think that if there's a good tree equally score, it must be the Woodland Trust that did it, not any private landowner or any farmer or the foresters. Just before we finish, think it's good that we highlight that our team of patrons and our loyal fans who support it and give us a bit of extra money and you know, pay their well the sort of that they're buying their place in heaven, aren't they by they are some of the most intelligent people on earth, as well as evidenced by our WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: Chat there's a few Croyon eaters that.
Speaker 1: Were obviously let's move the forestry people to one side and let them go and play with the play. Do stop eating it? Nick, No, it's not Sweetie's play do. But yes, I would like to actually, because it may not have escaped your attention, that there is a by election about to happen in the sort of Wigan area and Saint Andy of Burnham of the North is going to be shuffled in who they think will get it, and he is standing against a young man who is an erstwhile rural engineer, NHS worker and now plumber who may sound like a labor candidate, but no, he's the reform candidate against it. So it's the sort of head to head Buttons and Ness, who is one of our most loyal and long standing patrons, came up with this immortal line. It's the Maker or breaker Field by election. Yes, Maker or breaker Field. Well done this.
Speaker 3: We're including this as a sort of a timestamp to make sure that it's properly recorded. So that was on Tuesday, the nineteenth of May, that was. That was first postmark. It's a bit like the gap Tooth Tit Wizard, I think for the Lanski the Walter Titty Walter Titty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've now got its maker or breaker field for uh.
Speaker 2: It's actually died and the headline was the Lady's not returning.
Speaker 3: Somebody of a sat on that for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what I miss her?
Speaker 2: Boys, it's time I've got the headline.
Speaker 1: Go on, I've been waiting for it for that long.
Speaker 3: Onto the after show, Goodbye,