Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 3: Hour number two here on a Monday, as we get rby week started, it.
Speaker 2: Is coffee and Company.
Speaker 3: We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety As you could expect, a lot of reaction to the NFL Draft, will continue to do that. A lot of talk about Tyler Shuck in New Orleans. Hated to see how much the New Orleans fans, New New Orleans Saints fans seem to not like what their their their team decided to do as far as their their second round pick. I mean again, if you if you're taking in the second round early as a quarterback, I mean I have a hard time thinking there's ever a scenario where that franchise the draft shoe, they're not hiring you to eventually be their franchise quarterback. It doesn't always work out that way. But with Derek Carr's injury being I guess even a little more serious than folks realized, I think that was one of the things that was somewhat of a of a of a news item leading up to the draft is that his shoulder injury.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's not it doesn't look good.
Speaker 3: So that could give Shuck an opportunity and where he has maybe not the ceiling as a as some other quarterbacks like a Cam Warder, maybe even a Shadoor Sanders. I mean, I'd say the floor is really high for him, and you know, watching him and I know, you know, it's just one year. I mean, he can make all the throws. He's not perfect, but what's really been, you know, funny And I've not been in any way like triggered by it because to me, it's funny. It's not I mean the past that he had in one he had an interception against Boston College in the first half that it might be honestly one of the as good as he was this year, and who knows, maybe he has a great NFL career. It might have been one of the worst interceptions I've ever seen. I think he was a lot more he just kind of like chucks it. Yeah, I think he was trying to throw it out of bounds, but he did a poor attempt at that and it was like he just underhand lobbed it to somebody to, you know, to take it the other way. And then there was there was the pass at the combine that of course went viral, and obviously those weren't good looks, but I mean, he ninety nine percent of the time looked really good.
Speaker 2: And those were clearly outliers. So the tape speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: And I don't say that as somebody to try to act like I can break down film like I'm some big football guy, but I mean he's good. And that's why it was a weird year for Louisville fans, because you had those losses early that made it pretty clear you were going to have a really, really tough time competing for the ACC championship and even of course the playoff too, and it just kind of felt like, man, we're we have a really good quarterback who's showing that he's special, and yet we are losing. And typically Louisville is able to I mean, some of our biggest season's biggest moments. I don't want to act like it was all quarterback play, but I mean we've been really really spoiled at quarterback. We had that conversation a couple of weeks ago, just as far as guys that are, you know, I mean, some of our worst quarterbacks really weren't that bad. And when you think of some of the big moments that Louisville football has had, quarterback play was usually a big part of it. And this year was again like it just felt like, man, are we going to end up having a season that ends up being you know, mid And it wasn't that. I think it was a fine season, a good season. Honestly, it wasn't bad. I just think we know it could have been a little bit better. But it really felt like that at times because we're thinking, Okay, we only get this guy one year. He's twenty five years old. Let's really try to maximize what we can do with this guy because he's special, and you know, I think he's going to have an early opportunity because I mean, I don't know enough about the hierarchy of the Saints organization meeting do they let a coach have influence on who they want to pick? But if you hire Kellen Moore as your new head coach and this is his first season, I mean I have a hard time thinking that he wasn't somebody advocating for them to go ahead and take Tyler Schuck. He wants a quarterback to work with and he probably no offense to Derek Carr. But even if Derek Carr is healthy, he's not at this I don't think Carr at this point in his career as a guy that you know, if there's a new head coach coming in, like Kellen Moore, I mean, he's gonna want his own guy, because if Derek Carr's poor play his struggles if of course, you know that was to play out.
Speaker 2: Like, it's just the same thing.
Speaker 3: If it's like if you're an athletic director at a school, if you take over as an AD and you've already got a coach or you've already got a football coach that's really not succeeding, you're gonna want to get your own guys so you can then you know, at least have some say so. Because again, if you're viewed based off of somebody you didn't hire, I mean.
Speaker 2: That's that's rough. So if cars out there.
Speaker 3: Playing injured or just you know, not being very good like he's been in recent years, meaning you know he hasn't been good in recent years, I mean I feel like Kellen Moore is gonna think, Look, I'm not gonna My livelihood's at stake here too. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna go down with this guy. I want to go down my own guy. So we'll see what happens. But yeah, kind of a bummer to.
Speaker 2: See Schuck.
Speaker 3: Be not very not a very popular decision, according you know, according to most of the Saints fans that were expressing their opinion on Friday evening. We didn't talk a whole lot about the others. But Ashton Jalotti also taken on Friday night. Good situation for him. I mean, he's going to a really, really good organization that of course has been insanely successful. I mean, I don't think it's a stretch to say they've absolutely been a dynasty. They felt short in the Super Bowl this year to the Eagles, but clearly this this Chiefs team, I don't see it. I mean, I'd be highly shocked if they're not really really good for years to come. And you know, I don't know about the depth chart in Kansas City, but I know Ashton's a talented guy that you know, wouldn't be shocked if he gets some early reps and makes an impact, and then also Quincy Riley reunited with with Tyler Shuck.
Speaker 2: In New Orleans.
Speaker 3: He was taken on Saturday, early afternoon. So those were the three level players that were taken. I don't think there was a fourth.
Speaker 2: Was there.
Speaker 3: A lot of guys ended up signing free agent deals, but one guy that has yet to sign with an NFL team unless he has done so since the show started. And I don't really mean to me, there's got to be something to this, but maybe maybe not. But the fact that ja Cory Brooks didn't get drafted and then didn't sign an undrafted free agent deal and then didn't even get a rookie mini camp invite again, what do I know. I'm not somebody that's qualified to evaluate NFL talent for NFL teams, but I don't. I don't get that. I really don't. I mean, maybe he doesn't have like the upside to be an elite receiver at the NFL. Clearly the NFL didn't see it that way, But you've got guys that you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Let's just put it in perspective here.
Speaker 3: Mark Redman, the tight end who was a reserve last year for Louisville, did not have a huge role.
Speaker 2: On the offense.
Speaker 3: I mean, he has signed with the with the Rams, full back Dwayne Martin. He got a rookie mini camp invite from the Seahawks. There's some other guys too that have signed. Quarterback Corey Thornton's signed with the Panthers. So again, je Cory Brooks, I just I mean, he did not end up having a whole lot of buzz. In fact, anything you read about him leading up to the draft, you know you'd see people highlight the fact that in the NFL he's going to be a pretty easy guy to guard, just based off some things that he lacks that are really needed to be an exceptional receiver. But he's not even getting like an opportunity. And I mean he got an did he get an invite to the combine? I feel like he did, And I don't remember hearing that like he had a bad showing, But you know, I have no insight at all. But for him, again cold, there's guys who rarely record any stats in college that at least get a sniff, not even based off of like potential, because if you had a lot of potential, then you probably would have been drafted.
Speaker 2: But like his production. This guy.
Speaker 3: He led Alabama in receiving touchdowns when Bryce Young was a senior r at Louisville. Although it's a step back that from Alabama. He was sensational this last year. So part of me says that there's something we don't know that it's keeping NFL teams from giving this guy an opportunity. Maybe that's not fair for me to say, but he was too good in college, playing at a really high level for the majority of his career, and I thought the Louisville season here was kind of a confirmation that, yeah, he got hurt, lost his spot at Alabama, because you know that happens when you're at Alabama, you get hurt. There's guys waiting in line that picked Alabama over every school in the country that if they get some reps and they get in rhythm, they're not coming out until they get hurt, you know what I mean. Like, that's just how it works at Bama. I thought him coming to Louisville and really performing at a high level would make it to where he had a chance to get drafted. But he didn't get drafted and as of right now, has yet to sign with a team. In any way, could be his agent maybe realizing, hey, we're better than this. We're not taking a rookie camp invite. We're gonna we want an undrafted free agent deal, and we know our worth. But at this point, I would say, as we sit here on Monday afternoon, Slash, you know, I guess it's not evening yet, but like I feel like if you don't take an opportunity to, you know, take anything that comes your way, I don't know what other opportunity is going to get there. Or we'll talk a little more about the NFL Draft coming up here actually before too long, because I do want to let you guys hear from different folks that cover the NFL some voices you'll recognize that after Saturday, I'm sorry, after Friday night, you could tell they started to get information that they didn't have directly from their source before the first two days of the draft about shad Or Sanders. And to me, hearing the way should Or and his father handled the entire pre draft prep didn't surprise.
Speaker 2: Me in any way. And hearing how the NFL.
Speaker 3: Decided to collectively respond to it and handle it that also didn't surprise me in any way. And again it really stood out to me that I didn't really hear a whole lot of other people acknowledging. And maybe it's because it's a rather obvious thing that doesn't need to be said out loud. But imagine thinking the NFL needs you. I mean, even if you are a once in a lifetime talent, which Shudor Sanders is not, the NFL doesn't need you. You don't control anything. You're an employee.
Speaker 2: They own me.
Speaker 3: Like he quite literally handled it in a way that even if you've got the third pick or whatever it is, you got to sell me because I'm not coming to you if you pick me, because I just need to hear what your plan is for me and why why I should take the job, And like that's not what the NFL is, and it's pretty obvious. But again, like I don't I'm not calling Deon Sanders a bad dad because that would be unfair, but I don't think the way that his dad handled the hype stuff helped his son in any way.
Speaker 2: Because what I feel like would.
Speaker 3: Be a no brainer if you're Dion, would be like, make sure that your kid feels.
Speaker 2: Confident in his ability and he's you know, and.
Speaker 3: I don't think you'd ever have to worry about that, to be honest with you, But like, wouldn't it be a rather obvious thing? And you know, a good piece of advice for Deon Sanders to like let his kids know that Dad meaning prime, like he went out there and became this larger than life figure that could talk the talk and carry himself the way he carried himself because.
Speaker 4: He was a bad man.
Speaker 3: Deon Sanders is one of the most talented athletic athletes of all time. I mean, he wasn't just a phenomenal football player. He also played professional baseball and oh by the way, he didn't just make the roster, he was good at that too.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 3: Dion would want to make his kids know that, like, I didn't just start yapping and become an all time great.
Speaker 2: I went out there and I earned it. I proved it.
Speaker 3: His kids haven't done that, and yet they carry themselves like they have their dad's resume, and like, I don't know. I mean, that's that's the Sanders family fault. And if it's truly based off like upside potential, yes, it sounds like he does have that. There's a lot to work with there, because you know, he's pretty gifted with his jeens, right, he's Deon Sanders' son. But it doesn't appear that the NFL felt like it was worth getting into that in any way because in order for him to you know, truly develop and really be a franchise quarterback that handles things the right way, that that can command the locker room and be the face of a franchise, there were seemingly endless red flags that that basically said, you know, it's gonna be tough for him to ever be the guy we need him to be because of all the baggage essentially. So again, we'll get into that coming up a little bit later on because I want you guys to hear some of the some of the sound from that. But let's talk about the the prank phone calls on on I guess both Friday and Saturday. It wasn't just should or Sanders they got a prank call, but there's also I think it was the Colts tight end they drafted in the first round, Tyler Warren, Bill's offensive tackle they selected Chase Lunt, they also received prank phone calls. And you know, as much as I've made it pretty clear. I'm not, you know, real sympathetic for Shad Or Sanders fall into the fifth round.
Speaker 2: I don't like.
Speaker 3: I guess it's when you prank call somebody. I mean, technically by definition, I guess you know that's a prank. But that's like, that's such a cruel thing to do. And I mean, I'm just trying to envision the lead up to this because we now know who did it, which, by the way, this is kind of low key in all time NFL story I think, I mean, just say it out loud. The young college son of an NFL defensive coordinator happened to obtain the list of numbers the NFL is given before the draft so they can call and let a player know that they're drafting them. And they decided to call shit Or Sanders, the most highly talked about publicized player in the draft, and prank him as if he was about to be drafted. Like that's something from a movie. But that's that's literally what happened.
Speaker 5: I feel like you also said last week we haven't had like a Laromie Tunsil moment.
Speaker 2: Well this is it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it didn't play out on television. It was strictly an internet thing that really just took off. But I'm not surprised he took off like that because again, like these are things that you know, I mean, I to me, I hope I'm using the word correct, Like this is cruel, this is like this is I mean, I think mean is an obvious word to use, but it's it's further than mean.
Speaker 5: Well I did I didn't know until you said it that they found out it was you said, a defensive coordinator son of an NFL You.
Speaker 2: Didn't know that.
Speaker 4: No, No, I haven't missed that man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Jack's Olbrooke.
Speaker 3: Uh he is the son what twenty one year old son of Falcons defensive coordinator Jeff Olbrooke. And it's muddy somebody was able to again, like with the internet now and social media, I mean, you're gonna you're you're going.
Speaker 4: To you're gonna get tracked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what happened because the kids video and themselves doing it. By the way, I mean, I don't think it was surely the kid in the video wasn't the son. So the the kid who got the number, he's not dumb enough to go on video and.
Speaker 2: Do it, because like his dad would choke.
Speaker 3: Him to death before he could hang up the phone, because like I mean, people even in people in the NFL would know, Hey, that's that's probably you know, So he probably got the number gave it to buddies. I think that's how they tracked it, is that the kids that did it, they were able to you know, they could they I guess, were able to track down who they were and they realized there was a connection to Jack's Olbrook, who again is the son of the Falcons of the Falcons.
Speaker 4: Divins video around it.
Speaker 3: I would assume not because he can't be that dumb, right, Like, he can't be that dumb.
Speaker 4: So I thought it was a guy that was calling him and acting like.
Speaker 3: So again like I could be wrong here because I don't. I wouldn't, you know, I wouldn't know him if he walked in here. But I feel like it wouldn't have taken that long for us to determine. And I say us like I did it. But it came out Sunday that that that it was that it was the Falcon's defensive coordinator's son that leaked the number. It can't be him in the video because you can't be that dumb like you could you should get this. I mean, if you are this guy's dad, meaning Jeff Ulbrick, like, I don't, I mean, I would be so disappointed and embarrassed. Yeah, I mean, that's some real shameful stuff that there's clearly no excuse for. And a lot of times people do dumb stuff that brings embarrassment that you know, they realized there was a really stupid mistake and they shouldn't have done it, and even though it's wrong, you can at least understand that they Okay, they thought they'd get a good laugh. They thought this would I don't know, I don't know, you know, I'm sure you'll find people on the internet that will really hype this up as, oh, this was a great joke. But I feel like most people, even people that you know aren't necessarily good people who care about others, would acknowledge that's just that's just kind of crossing the line as far as being like cruel, like that's it's it's mean beyond being mean, And there's been some type of like I think it was Ian Rappaport who put it out that the NFL and the Falcons are not seeking any kind of like punishment or whatever for for the DC with the falcons, which you know he didn't do it, but like he also somehow let that information get compromised, and I don't think him being fired would have been a big surprise. Now, again, he didn't do it, and I'm sure he's I mean, I can't imagine there's a scenario where he doesn't. He's probably more upset than anybody about it because it's just, you know, it's connected to him. Like, there's nothing worse than disappointing your parents. I think the fear of letting your parents down is a comfortable thing that you should like always have. At least that's the way I see it, because you know, I want to make my parents proud as a as a man, as a father, that kind of stuff, and that's one of the things that like keeps me, you know, trying to be you know, be a good dude, be a good dad, that kind of stuff. So, I mean, I don't know what kind of pun I mean, he's an adult. I don't know how you punish him. But what I love is that it's turned into like people throwing out like there's really no like I think I might have been stephen A Smith that said if if he was stephen A who said that, if you know, despite him being twenty years old, I think.
Speaker 2: He is like his dad should whip his ass.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, well, you know, I guess technically he could do that, and like, you know, like he's a grown up. I'm sure he would probably try to fight back and not.
Speaker 2: Get beat up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was just that was just embarrassing. It made me realize that whenever we were kids and we would occasionally prank call people, like, we never did anything like to this level. We were just you know, having fun, like, hey, is your refrigerator running?
Speaker 2: Better go get it? Like I'm sure we didn't.
Speaker 3: Say that, but you know, actually I can tell you a good story about a prank call we did whenever I was in high school. We were freshmen at the time, and we called we called one of my and my buddy was We called my buddy's dad and he was there with us and he was like yeah, like he was cool with it. We thought that it would be he'd be a good candidate, that would give us a good laugh. Him not realizing it's a prank call, kind of getting his reaction. So we called him at This is at the time when like you didn't have Netflix, you didn't have anything like that. You didn't even have red Box. You had to go rent movies right at like Blockbuster. And there was a local video store in our area. I think it was called Video Vault, and this place had the curtain Austin. You may be too young to know about the curtain. Oh I know the the curtain. So I just wanted to go back there. So one are my buddies called uh called one of our buddies dad and told him that he had like a big late fee.
Speaker 2: And that like he you know, they need their money.
Speaker 3: And he mentioned, like he made up a bunch of you know, very inappropriate titles for adult rated movies, and you know, he mentioned that those were both like two weeks late and the and instead of like disputing it, like you got the wrong number or you know, who the hell is this? You know this is you know, could we call them at like midnight too, by the way, on his house phone, but instead of any dial he says, nope, nope, I took those back last week. And we just like we we couldn't stop from laughing, so we just hung up and that was it. But the best part of it was that for years, all throughout high school, we just assumed, like, damn, he really does like rent a lot of dirty movies, and he thought like they thought that he must have just thought that they didn't scan him as returned yet wow. Like, so we go on thinking like, this guy really loves to go behind the curtain at our local video store. And when we graduate. When we graduated, we all took pictures together outside of our high school, you know, the cap and gown pictures, and he came over, you know, around all of our other parents, and he came up to the three of us, and I don't remember what it was he said exactly. He might have said one of the titles, and we didn't even remember what we said. That what my buddy said the title was like he just made up names that he thought would be an adult porn movie, and he remembered one of them and mentioned it to us and then he laughed, and we were the whole time he knew it was us.
Speaker 2: They never said anything, isn't that good?
Speaker 4: That's good?
Speaker 2: Like we just you know, he was comfortable just.
Speaker 3: Having us think that he's you know, out here, you know, I guess there's something wrong with that, but like, I don't know. I just thought that that So that that's the level of prank phone call that we did.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Whereas you know what what happened on the NFL Draft night, Like that's a again.
Speaker 2: I I'm I'm romantic about the draft.
Speaker 3: I talked about it a lot on Thursday, Like, I think it'd be one of the coolest moments ever to find out that you're everything you worked for is coming true and then for it to just be a gag like that's it's beyond lame. All right, quick break, We're about halfway through, so stick with us. This is coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, it is coffee in Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the out radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. So the statement that came in from Jack's Ouelbrook, who is the son of the Falcons dementsive coordinator. And again I tried, I guess not hard enough, but I tried to get to the bottom of it during the break to see if he was the actual caller that is on video, and I really don't. I don't know, but either way, the Falcons, I mean, they've confirmed that it was in fact the son of their DC who had the number and either he called or got it to somebody because he thought it would be funny. But this is the statement from the young man here on Friday night. I made a tremendous mistake sit or what I did was completely an excusable, embarrassing, and shameful. I'm so sorry I took away from your moment. It was selfish and childish. I could never imagine getting ready to celebrate one of the greatest moments of your life, and I made a terrible mistake and messed with that moment. Thank you for accepting my call earlier today. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. So somebody took that statement and did a little check for AI content and it was an entirely AI generated message. So I'm not going to defend this kid, who you know is the worst, but he could have. And again, I don't know about how you check for AI content as far as like scanning something to see if because I'm sure now like if you have to write like papers for class, I mean, you could use AI and it would probably be maybe better than your own work.
Speaker 2: But there's got to be a way for people.
Speaker 3: And I knew there was a I've known of a way to where people can kind of check to see if something came from an AI generated platform. But like maybe he wrote it and then did it did an AI like spell check or AI rewrite just to make sure it's it's you know, sending the right message, right. Maybe maybe AI helped him, you know, you know, more carefully craft just how apologetic he was. But I also think that just any use of AI at all is going to make your apology not seem really sincere in any way. But yeah, that was an ald timer, and you're right, Austin, I said, there really hadn't been like a crazy you can't make this sub story surrounding the NFL draft, And you know, we got one, but it probably won't be remembered like the grass Mask was with the Laramie Tunsel, because no, probably not. This draft is all about shit or Sanders, and you know, we knew that going in, and the way it played out led to it. Like had he been taken early in the first round or maybe at some point anywhere in the first round, He's not talked about really at all the rest of the way, right, other than just acknowledging guys that were taken. But because he didn't get taken Friday and he had to wait until the fifth round on Saturday, I mean, it just became the dominant conversation. And I just I kept getting so annoyed by everybody acting.
Speaker 2: As if he's been wronged.
Speaker 3: And I think most folks that I you know, and I'm talking about and I'm not talking about mel Kuiper, because I mean, he was a clown, but and he kind of always has been.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy's never been.
Speaker 3: Good at predicting exactly where teams will go and predicting who's gonna end up being good or not. Like what folks have to realize is the people who help cover the draft for ESPN, NFL Network, whoever, I mean, they're entertainers. They're not they're not judged off being right or wrong. And Kuiper is one of those guys that has often been really wrong and then set out landish things that like clearly tells you that he knows that he's there to entertain, Like, didn't he he'd retire if somebody wasn't like an all time great quarterback?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jimmy Clawson, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, like Kuiper's been outspoken and really really strong about certain players saying certain things because technically that's what ESPN wants him to do. They don't pay him to be right about who's going to be great, and they never have. It's never been really what that is, it's entertainment. And again, if you just think about the lead up to the draft and all the talk that's out there, ask yourself, why would any NFL team ever share any information about what they intend to do with anybody. There's no scenario they could ever help them. In fact, them sharing information, the only way it could benefit them is to share fake information knowing that it's going to be spread out there and hopes that maybe they can throw somebody off about what they're gonna do, or maybe they could have another franchise have second thoughts about what they're going to do, so then they can swoop in and get a goa. I mean, look that, I'm sure that's happened a lot guys on the inside with these NFL teams talking to the you know, the talking heads that let us know about what's gonna happen, what they're hearing when it comes to the NFL Draft.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they've dogged players.
Speaker 3: They really like in hopes of it getting out there that they stink, and then they can swoop in and take advantage of it. Because if we didn't do that, he wouldn't have fallen to, you know, pick number thirteen to us, Like to me, sometimes you just got to consider what makes sense and what doesn't. So there were guys like Lou Riddick was one of them.
Speaker 2: Burga McFarland.
Speaker 3: I think even I think even rich Eisen to an extent, maybe even Rapaport, that were making it out as if the NFL had wronged Shad or Sanders. And to go back to what I said on Friday, once we got to Day two and he wasn't taken in the first round, nobody's entitled to be drafted like, the draft is not a competition. There's not a scoreboard, there's not stats. The draft is a decision and it's a job. They hire who they want to hire, and they can pick whoever they want. And what kept getting ignored despite it being a really obvious thing is that he wasn't the top quarterback in a really bad quarterback crop apparent according to everybody else, Like and again it played out that way right when you don't when when you get past the second round, maybe even past the third round, if you're drafting a quarterback, he might end up being your starter, but you're drafting him to be your backup. I think Chael Sanders, even on Saturday afternoon, if if grilled about it, like in an interview, I don't think he'd be able to control himself. If if he was asked about being a backup. I think he probably would just without even thinking, respond the way you would expect him, respond as if he's too good for that.
Speaker 2: No way he's going to be the starter.
Speaker 3: Now, if he says that with the real real message of he's gonna outwork everybody and he's going to prove people wrong, that's different. But that's not really what any I mean, it's really not what they've ever done. But I thought this this this was from Saturday afternoon, and I'm sorry, Saturday morning, right before the third right before the rest of the draft took place, fourth through the seventh rounds. And to me, this this made so much sense. It was so predictable, and it was what I was in.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 3: This isn't a Hey, I knew everything that was going on, and you all didn't trust me. I mean, I'm just I'm just trying to figure out what makes sense here. And to hear this report from the NFL network, this made too much sense for it to not be why he ended up slotting. And if you just you know, hearing what you're about to hear from Tom Pelisari of the NFL Network, Pelisara, I should say, hearing everything you heard about Shadhor and Dion and then hearing how the NFL decided to respond to it, none of this should suppor you in any way. And if it does, here's what happened to you. You got a little too caught up in the TMZ type Sanders circus. That sounds like a real thing, doesn't it. The TMZ Sanders circus I'm sure that's not I mean just came up with that the top of my head, but like that's what this is.
Speaker 6: Mike was not a shock within the NFL and team buildings when Shador Sanders did not go in the first round. I would fairly tell you it is a surprise that he is still on the board at the start of day three. Philosophically, some teams feel like you're drafted at the quarterback position. Specifically, if you think you got a starter, you take him in round one. If you're drafting somebody to be your backup, you don't want to do that until day three. I spoke last night with one general manager who is considering taking Shador Sanders today. He pointed back all the way to March twenty twenty four and something that Chador's father, Dion Sanders said on a podcast talking about Bulls chadur and Travis Hunter, saying that if they are drafted by team that they don't want to go to, He's gonna step in and pull an ELI, meaning force those players to not actually go to that team and try to get them traded. Throughout the pre draft process, Shador Sanders very much proceeded as if he was dictating to clubs where he was going to go rather than how the draft works, which is the other way around. And there were a bunch of opportunities missed at the various checkpoints through that pre draft process, go all the way back to All Star season. Instead of going to the Senior Bowl, he went to the East West Shrine Bowl in his backyard in Dallas. Despite an NFL memo saying if you go to these All Star games, you have to practice, Shadur chose not to. At the combine, it has now well documented some of his formal interviews did not go well. One assistant coach told me, in all his years, it was the worst formal interview he'd ever been through. People said that Shador was trying to dictate how he wanted things to go and made them feel small. Even at the Pro Day, the entire Big Twelve have an event in Dallas. Chadur was there but did not work out. He had a showcase instead in Colorado. All of which is to say for a player who had a variety of questions both about the talent level, how we would fit into an NFL system, how he would adjust from his play style in college, but also about the potential culture shock for the first time playing for someone who is not his father. There were opportunities that Shaduur sators could have taken. There he seemed to feel as if he was in an elite category where he could choose the few teams he wanted to go to. Now, some of those very same teams that might be considering taking Shaduur today didn't get those opportunities. To answer their question what teams want on these visits?
Speaker 3: And we so, I mean again, does any of that surprise you at all?
Speaker 2: It shouldn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, he handled everything as if he was going to be able to decide wherever he wanted to go because everybody wanted him, and that's just not reality. Say what you will about his ability, that's just not reality of how any of this works. And for no one to be able to, you know, let him know that you're gonna have to go wherever you get taken, because you should be lucky that somebody wants to take you. And it's not because it would be like a gift, like I think if somebody took him it would early. It would be because they did believe that he had the upside and potential to be really really good.
Speaker 2: But he's not.
Speaker 3: He's never shown at any point that he's got some ability that like you just will never see again. And I just to me, I'm thinking, if you if there are teams that didn't even get the chance to really vet the situation with you, to see if they wanted to pick you because you felt like you were too good and you didn't want to talk to them because they didn't have an early enough pick. You have nothing. You have nobody to blame but yourself as to why you're still sitting there on day three. This is pretty simple, Like this is their own fault. He probably would have been taken earlier had he, you know, understood that. Like he's not gonna decide these teams decide, and I mean Dion again, Like I'm pretty sure he thinks he's just doing his best to support his son. And this I'm not saying he's a bad dad, but like, how I mean, can Dion be surprised whenever he finds out that saying this led to teams not wanting to take his son.
Speaker 7: Teams that I won't allow him to play for Woo. This is my profession. I know what's behind the curtain. We ain't got to get back there for me to understand what's not prominent for my son. I'm not doing it. He doesn't listen to you. Who, No, you must mean owners, not my son. Have you told him privately who you would like for him to play for. It's not like who I would like for him to play for. It's a couple of teams that I won't allow him to play for.
Speaker 2: So again they're delusional. They think that again.
Speaker 3: Deon Sanders is one of the best athletes probably ever when you consider how talented he was and how good he was at both football, and he was also good at baseball. Not just a guy who played both, he was good at both. But that has nothing to do with his son. I mean they carry themselves as if the whole family has accomplished what Dion has accomplished. And Dion is an acquired taste I think because of his confidence in himself. Some would say his arrogance, but you know what, He's actually done, some real things that give you a good, good indication as to why he feels the way he feels about himself and what he's done. I just think it would be a little wise of him to have let his kids know that he had to go earn that he had actually do something to get there, whereas she'd or it's not a bad quarterback by any means, But like the notion that like you're going to be able to dictate at all because you're that good, that's not living with the rest of the world in reality.
Speaker 2: That's called delusion.
Speaker 3: And there's more that we can play from, you know, just others sharing what their experience was like when they decide, you know, when they consider potentially taking him in the draft. So again, like I guess he can prove a lot of these guys wrong, but like, I just don't see how anybody can be surprised that this played out the way that it did because again, imagine the NFL needing any specific player to be successful. They don't quick break keep a locker here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on a Monday afternoon, we still got another hour to go, so stick around. We'll talk a little more derby, not necessarily the race itself, but the updated prices for a lot of things that you'll be looking to purchase, although I guess if you are, I mean, is everything still all inclusive? I feel like that's the way they've been doing it the last few years, which when you buy a ticket, yeah, yeah, which means which makes sense as to why it's so expensive to get a ticket. I mean that that really does that really does make it, you know, kind of pay for itself. But then again, so if you're there, I guess this, I would imagine all inclusive is probably just for just for the Ohlks and Derby No, because you know, like there'd be no prices if everybody who gets in with the ticket had had to pay right like you know, So anyways, we'll get into that because that you could expect, like a lot of things, it's it's not cheap, but I'm of the belief that they could charge whatever for tickets whatever, and people would pay.
Speaker 2: Get you that down, thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I maybe I'm wrong, Like clearly you will price out certain people at a certain at a certain you know cap But I don't know, Austin, You've been there on Derby Day and with our credentials we get access to you know, a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can kind of go wherever we want for the most.
Speaker 3: Part, Yes, And I just feel like, yeah, I was like, yeah, maybe I'm just maybe I'm just judging based off of like appearance, but like I kind of feel like this could be triple the price and these people would all still be here, you know what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, like and they would have missed a beat. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and I you know, I I'm not going to knock Churchill downs because who am I to try to tell them how to run their business?
Speaker 2: But I think they know that too. By the way, Like for those that have that have had.
Speaker 3: The complaints, and I think they're they're they're legitimate complaints that Churchill doesn't really appeal to the average Kentucky and a native that that you know that used to go because of the price and everything. Well, you know, it's their business and they can do whatever they want. And uh, you know, i'd say that, uh, there's no end in sight for their success, right, I mean, they're gonna be, They're gonna be. I mean, this is something that you know, I have much more awareness of it now that I get to you know, I'm in the industry that I'm in, but it is one of the biggest sporting events on the planet. So you know, with that, there's really you know, there's enough people across the planet that enjoy this enough to where if if you know, they made they made it even more expensive.
Speaker 2: People would still be there because it's the thing to do. I mean, the.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of boben Field where the private jets come in. Have you ever seen pictures of that Austin.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've been over there before when it for Derby though like whenever, no, no, no, I have it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So a lot of the private jets that come in for Derby, like you know Tom Brady when he brings the Patriots and all that, those kind of people they fly they're private jets over there, and there's pictures from over the years, and just to see how many of those jets there are it really because again, like I feel like if you have a private jet or access to one of your riding on one, like little old me, I just think like, man, you must be a big deal, you know what I mean. So, like to see the amount of people who travel here that way makes it you know, it's one of the many things that kind of puts it in perspective for me as to just how big of a deal the Derby is, which again I'm sure a lot of people listening know that, but yeah, it's you know what I used to think of Churchill Downs. I used to just think about when I would go, like as a kid, not for Derby, some some oaks, but just like the visual of the paddock and whatnot, it just doesn't look like that anymore, and that doesn't you know, in a way it kind of makes me sad for like nostalgic reasons, but also like if you've been over there recently, it looks freaking beautiful, Like the place is nice as can be. So yeah, I'm getting the Derby.
Speaker 2: I'm getting in the Derby spirit.
Speaker 4: You'll feel it, You'll feel a Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's it's it's a big even if you're like, again, I've made it clear, I'm not really big into horse racing, just because it's not something I know a whole lot about and wasn't really exposed to it a whole lot growing up around here. But I mean, I think you could be even more anti horse and I'm not anti.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, I don't think you have.
Speaker 3: To be in any way knowledgeable or give a damn about horse racing the sport to to just feel the vibe around this city whenever we get here to this week, and it's it's a special thing.
Speaker 2: So good good stuff.
Speaker 3: All right, we got another hour coming your way, and I'm hoping that it's some good stuff. We'll get back into the draft recap because I do think there's more worth here when it comes to just to me, I think it's an explanation that really makes total sense, and maybe we didn't even need the explanation because it was probably pretty obvious to a lot of people like myself as to why shid or Sanders slip the way he did. Also, a college basketball thing, I want to get into the acc they're doing something when it comes to basketball to kind of prove what we all know. I guess what they're doing is going to prove it. They're not trying to prove it, but they're going to make a scheduling change, which again confirms that they realize now that their league is not very good in hoops and they need to.
Speaker 2: Do something about it.
Speaker 3: Stick with us five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety