Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast. Monster Talk is supported by listeners like you. Find out how you can contribute via Patreon or with reviews at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. Your contributions, large or small, make a huge difference. Thanks. If monsters haunt the shadowlands, the fringes of where civilization touches the wild, the ni shitn't surprises that areas that are less successible to most of us become a fertile garden for all kinds of critters and hanks and booger monsters. While movies have taught us that the soundtrack to a good scare is an orchestra or a pulsing electronic beat, there are places where the dance macabre is accompanied by fiddle, by banjo and by jug.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature park a part in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: Get the creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk. Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith. When I was in high school, I was told by one of my instructors that there are no true mountains in Georgia, and I've been happily repeating this bit of trivia for thirty years. But in preparing for this episode, I decided to check and see what actually constitutes a mountain, and that's when I found out that the official delineation between a mountain and a hill has been abandoned for years. I'll put a link to the USGS article about this in the show notes, but as is often the case, I am delighted to find out I was wrong, and hopefully if you've been sharing this bit of misinformation, you can now correct yourself as well. Why does that matter? Well, the tallest peak in Georgia is Brasstown Bald and a few years ago I took my family up there because I was close to the ancient Petroclyff site of track Rock Gap. I had been doing some research about a pseudo archaeology theory around the origins of that ancient site, and I'll link to that article in the show notes, but I wanted to go actually look at the site, and since I'd never been up there or to my home state's highest peak, we were so close, I decided to visit and on the way I came across this road called Booger Hollow Road near Blairsville. As you might imagine, this caught my attention, and I found myself wondering why was the road called Booger Hollow Road? Was there a monster legend there? I had heard stories about Boogerman or the Boogeyman from my grandmother, and I guess the Boogeyman is the classic monster whose important job is to scare children into obedience lest they be gotten for their sins. The history of booger monsters and mountain culture is a long one. There was a town called Booger Hollow in Floyd County, Georgia, near Rome, but it has been renamed to Boosville. Apparently this is because of a prominent family name of Booze, not because of the slang for alcohol. But why the town was originally called Booger Hollow is still a mystery of me at this time. Other towns throughout the southern United States also speak of boogers. There was a town called Booger Hollow, Arkansas that had a sort of hillbilly folksy roadside attraction set up with a sign that said Booger hollow boasted a population seven if you include the coon dog. It also had an amusing two story outhouse, which is exactly the sort of visual gag that my father would be delighted at. There's a lot of folk etymology on the Internet that says the word boo shares origins with the word booger, but I don't know if that's actually true. As fascinated as I am by word origins, running them to their sores is often really tough. But that town of Booseville, it hints at, whether intentionally or not, the ties between the culture of the mountains and the history of moonshine and revenuers. I grew up in a family it had a mixture of strict religious fervor and a history of moonshine, distilling and outdaud behavior. I remember seeing a lot of older gentlemen passing around a mason jar now and again, and I'm pretty sure they weren't drinking pickle juice. Some stories suggest that the legends of boogermen might be tied to scaring away revenuers and people intent on snatching liquor from stills spirits. To protect the spirits, you might say, but whether these legends are based on protective hoaxes are genuine belief in supernatural hauntings. The mountains around here are full of monsters, and that's why we're going to be talking about that in this episode Monster. All right, welcome to Monster Talk to as sure Elbine and Tiffany Till. We're here today to talk about folklore of Appalachia, but we're also here to talk about your new project, the kickstarter that was remarkably funded in one day. This is Anna O'Brien The Ghost Days Anthology. So let's let you guys do some introductions.
Speaker 2: So my name is Jeffany Charel. I am a concept artist. I worked for about nine years mostly in video games. I have since gone full freelance. I've done children's books.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you name it? I can, I'll draw it. I've always been like a big creature monster fan for a long time.
Speaker 2: I was going to be a marine biologist, and so I've always kind of had like an aquatic creature penchant to a lot of my work. But yeah, Asher hit me up about earlier this year. We've known each other online for a bit and he was like, come work with me on this spooky Appalachian fooklord thing, and yeah it was right time, right place, right project.
Speaker 1: So awesome.
Speaker 5: Aw Sure, I'm a journalist. I mostly work on sort of like natural history and ecology stuff, but I also have carved out a little bit of a sideline writing about folklore for anybody who will let me do it, which is not really as many people as you'd imagine. I mostly got interested in sort of Appalachian folklore because I just it was something that I started working on as a you know, and writer in high school and just kept putting aside and coming back to and putting aside and coming back to, and my real interest in folklore and writing sort of developed together. So now that I mostly am writing nonfiction, it's really nice to kind of sit down and do much more imaginative stuff because they they don't let you make stuff up when you're a journalist. They shout at you. So you got to have an outlet somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, so much for the fake news story. Do you you're in Austin? Are you doing okay? I mean I've got friends who work down there and they're boiling their water still, is that? Are you doing all right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? That's a that's a fun thing there is. Uh Basically, the river that runs through Austin Town Lake is currently this just soupy brown morass. But it's really neat because a bunch of the a bunch of the hill country creeks run into it and they're crystal clear. So you get these really weird zones where it'll be just like pure clear green water, and then it meets the main river and there's just like a little bit of swirl, but it's like a really clear line. It's uh, it's boil water and aquafina.
Speaker 1: Well, I I hope you do. Okay. I love Austin. What an amazing town. I'm gonna say a little shout out to my favorite coffee shop, which is Hound's Tooth Coffee. Oh my god, I love that. Unfortunately, it's almost five dollars a cup, right, that's.
Speaker 4: Number to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little rich for my blood. But man, they make a good cup of coffee. So yeah, salute. Well, anyway, we're here tonight to talk about Appalachian folklore, but also about your project. Maybe we should start with talking about your kickstarter. Even though it's been funded, there's still some room for uh oh, maybe let me back up just a little bit. What is Kickstarter, because there's gonna be some of our listeners who don't even know that much.
Speaker 2: So Kickstarter is a platform in which you can basically present the idea for a project.
Speaker 4: And it helps if you have like a good pitch, a good.
Speaker 2: Presentation, and you basically say, I have this really cool thing that I'm willing to work on, I have this much expertise and whatever, I'm like whatever background.
Speaker 4: You kind of just like.
Speaker 2: Provide like a little story so that way people can like, you know, get a sense for who you.
Speaker 4: Are and where you're coming from. And then.
Speaker 2: For the sake of transparency, just basically you say I need this much money to like make my dreams come true, to fund.
Speaker 4: My movie, to fund my app to.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons type stuff.
Speaker 4: If you go, there's nerds out there listening.
Speaker 1: But there's a couple of us, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: Feeling there's a nerd community that listens.
Speaker 1: It's on the Facebook group. It's been amazing. Every time I say something about Dungeons and Dragons a role playing it, everybody goes crazy, which is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's like I do art for those types of games too, so like that's my people. But but yeah, so like there's a huge gaming community there, video games, tabletop games, making movies, like like a lot of times like uh famously was it was it, Joss Whedon somebody like super.
Speaker 4: Famous people will come in and be like and I'd also like more millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so like it's just a really good place and an arena in which you can crowdfund a project and just gain a lot of traction for something that you're starting to build. And we did it in like a day and.
Speaker 1: Yeah our minds, Yeah, yeah, I imagine. So well, the cool thing about it is that you know a lot of people as creators. You know they may make something that may be wonderful, but then you know you have there's all these gatekeepers along the way. You know, you have to get an agent and find a publisher in traditional modes, but all the technology exists for self publishing. But even if you self published, you can't know for sure if you'll cover the cost of all your work. So this is a very cool approach. And I mean we've seen several of these that we've had on the show. But and I've obviously I've contributed to some kickstarted things in the day. Most of the time I end up doing something like where you can just do a contributing. Hey, good guy, good luck guys, right, you know, the little one dollar. I appreciate what you're doing because my finances aren't there great. But I'm really delighted that you guys got funded because this looks like a really fun project. So, by the way, the art work looks amazing, the writing looks amazing. What drove you guys into this? I mean it sounds like as sure you were sort of driving the sort of thing towards a character you'd already created.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So basically what happened was I was in high school. I was writing a lot of short fiction and you know, before I went to college and got way too busy, and I just had this this idea for her, for a character who would be a kind of like a wandering character who could run into all these interesting folkloric and mythic things that I was really interested in reading about. And that character. As that character developed and became Anna O'Brien, it became like it became this trying to think of how to put this, it became like this process of discovering this really interesting historical world that growing up in Atlanta was like really close geographically to me too, and so my my interests in sort of like the landscape of Appalachia and the folklore of Appalachia all kind of like got boiled into this character. And the more interested I became in the character, the more interested I became in the world, and vice versa. And so ultimately I, you know, a couple of stories and when I could like carve out a little bit of time of which who could you know, go to like a different holler every week and sort of have a different adventure. And then I had some I had some medical stuff happen earlier in the year, and I was like, you know what, I've been sitting on these stories for a really long time. I've been sharing them with friends. I'd really like them to be in a place where people can see them and like them. And so I got in touch with Tiffany was like, Hey, could I commission to cover from you? And and she was like, Oh, this is really cool, and so we just started talking about maybe doing a book together, and it kind of like snowballed from there.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. How are you I mean, I want to get to the monsters, but how are you doing the publishing part? Like the who are you working with for actually getting out the books?
Speaker 5: So, what we were initially planning on doing was doing incrame print on demand, which is cheaper because obviously you're only printing the books that you need. We're currently shooting for a stretch goal of eleven five hundred dollars. We're currently sitting at eleven thousand, so I think we'll probably hit it. But that will allow us to do a full print run of five hundred books through the printer print Ninja. And we are completely self publishing this, Like when it's done, we'll be able to, you know, put it up on Amazon. We'll be able to try and get it into bookstores, you know, put it in libraries. But it's going out just under us, like we don't have an actual publisher that we're working with.
Speaker 1: That's but that's very cool. What about a are you doing anything for?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you who's doing your editing? Are you doing it yourself?
Speaker 5: Or so I had done some initial editing on it and then we've got a really fantastic film critic named Gretchen Falker Martin who came on to be an editor. The manuscript is actually it's completely written, it's completely edited, all of the initial art is done. We have a stretch goal for more art. If we hit that, that'll be great. But basically what we're just trying to do now is like get the money in order to make this thing something that you can hold in your hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's very cold. Yeah, rocking it.
Speaker 4: It basically already exists.
Speaker 2: It's just now like the stretch will serve to like make it like even more shiny and more beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys were kind enough to share early looks for me and Karen. By the way, Karen couldn't be here this week, but thank you very much for letting us have a look. It looks beautiful and I'd really love to see a hardback of it myself. So that's I hope you reach your stretch calls. I grew up in the North Georgia mountains, you know, and even so I was I was surprised at how little of the folklore I ran across, you know, just in sort of natural oral history or oral tradition. Most of the stuff I learned from reading fiction or reading books about folklore, and you know, things like the fox Fire books. And as one of the inspirations you talked about was Manly Wade Weldman and his Silver John stories. So that's an interesting sort of character and some fiction people may or may not be familiar with. But can you talk about how you got your source material? Like where did you go to to find out about this folklore?
Speaker 5: Sure? So one of the main sources that I used, and I really literally just started like years ago, just started collecting books of apple folk ways and folklore, and you know, some of them are really quite useful, stuff like Strange Tales of the Dark and Bloody Ground is a really good And then the deeper I got, I started getting into books like Witches, Ghosts, and Signs by Patrick Gaynor, which is a really fantastic compilation of mostly Virginia ghost and witch law. And then the most and really the most useful book was The Silver Bullet and Other American Witch Stories, which is compiled by Hubert Davis, which is this really fantastic treasury of various like American witch narratives and motifs and folklore. And one of the things that I found in the course of researching this, and you know, also reading stuff like James Mooney, Uh, you know, Minion Legends of the Cherokee Is. There's all of this, There's all this material, but there's there's so few good books that are just general overviews of like Appalachian specific folklore. It's all reached compilations. It's all, oh, here's folk lore of the Smoky Mountains, here's folklore of Tennessee, here's folklore of North Carolina or West Virginia. So in order to really get that sense of like what the regional motifs are, you have to get all these books and like read them and just compare notes and and sort of try and put together a broader understanding of the sort of like folklork systems that you're working with.
Speaker 1: You know, I find it interesting that I grew up calling it the Appalachians, and up until like a fairly recent episode of Monster Talk, I just always thought that's what it was. But I apparently a lot of people say Appalachian and I hear you saying that. Did you did you notice that or did you run into that before? The difference in the pronunciation or the pronunciation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't actually know where that comes from the way. So I grew up when I was younger saying Appalachian. And then when I spent time sort of like driving around in North Carolina for sort of unrelated reasons, but I'll take any opportunity to get up into western North Carolina, I heard people say Appalachian and somebody actually corrected me, You say appalation, but actually it's like throwing Appalachia.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, all right, wow here, I don't that's really funny. Okay, okay, yeah, because I mean the range itself stretches a long way, so you know, I grew up in it. But my sister took me to task because she said, when I say that, it sounds like I'm saying we grew up as hillbilly's and that's not really the same thing. So hardly now my grandmother, I would say, she did. I mean, my family was, you know, all into moonshining and all kinds of other things. But but yeah, so we were, we were not hillbillies.
Speaker 5: Well, honestly, it's it's interesting that you bring that up, though, because there's actually one other book that I wanted to mention, which is really sort of foundation to this project which is called Rampollo by Steven Stall, and it has nothing to do with folklore, but it's all about the sort of logging and mining of of Appalachia and how you know, the sort of American conception of the mountaineers went from being, oh, you know, they're these wonderful pioneers that were taming the wilderness to oh, they're these backwards hillbillies who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, and really they're not really using those forests anyway, so we can probably just cut them down and sell the timber and just leave them to be poor. And it was this really interesting thing because when we talk about Appalachia, there's all these really negative, nasty stereotypes about it that still really persist, and in a way, like hillbillies themselves are kind of like monsterized in sort of popular culture and stuff like Deliverance.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I was just actually looking back at that, you know, with the death of Burt Reynolds, looking back at Deliverance, and there's still a lot of resentment up in North Georgia around the way that the people there were sort of presented in the movie. I mean, it was just a movie, right, you know, I hardly ever squeal like a pig is at my point, I guess reason.
Speaker 4: No, I actually just watched that movie recently for the first time. That's a Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a trip. Doesn't it make you want to go rafting?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: So, I'm just like I was just more alarmed at like what John Voight looks like.
Speaker 1: Now, oh yeah, yeah, where he came from.
Speaker 4: I was like wow.
Speaker 1: But No.
Speaker 2: One of the books that very similarly doesn't have anything to do with folklore. It kind of touches into it a little bit is Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudle.
Speaker 4: It's an older book.
Speaker 2: It's from nineteen sixty two, so there's a lot of language that.
Speaker 4: We don't use anymore.
Speaker 2: It poorly represents a lot of people, but it is kind of one of the first like overviews of why why that, like why the entire region came to be how it is, And a lot of it is just like, yeah, basically like the people that lived there weren't seen as people. So blow up the mountain, we tear the trees down. We're just gonna tape everything that we can and you see a lot of this like with you know, just even today, like the coverage of the region.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I found a lot.
Speaker 2: Of difficulty in trying to find specific bits of folklore that were kind of like because.
Speaker 4: Like people talk to each other. There was a solid.
Speaker 2: Culture that formed very early on across the Appalachian Mountains, but it's always covered in this kind of like very piecemeal sort of way. Whenever it's you know, condensed into any sort of like folkl worked ome or like it's either like specifically about the Cherokee myths of the region, or it's specifically about the Hoodoo tradition of the former slaves that lived in the region or something like that, like or it's like even the book I mentioned only covers the Cumberlands and that it doesn't account for the Smoky Mountains, it doesn't account for the Blue Mountains. So it's it's very piecemeal in terms of like what information you're able to access. So yeah, it's really interesting just trying to trying to dig in and find anything that's cohesive.
Speaker 5: We read a lot Nowntain, there's a lot of there's a lot of research that went into.
Speaker 1: Us, but it is it is not super mainstream though it's it's still relatively obscure. I'm trying to figure of the only other big besides Manley Wade Weldman. Uh. The only other thing that comes to mind is Earl Hamner Junior. And you know, he did some work on The Twilight Zone that kind of touched on this stuff a little bit before you went in to do the Waltons. That's a turn wow, yeah it is. But I mean he did some really interesting episodes on on the Twilight Zone that that that touched on. And there was one where that the kids go into the pool what it be called the chim Poole, And then there's one where a guy uh it that they don't call it. Well, it's basically a wear cat story, but it's a it's it kind of ties into uh not the wampus Yeah, it's kind of like a wampus Cat, but it's a it's more it kind of like ties the Wampus cat story into something like the Cat People movie, the val Lewton. Oh yeah, yeah, so I mean to me, yeah, so anyway, but let's let's talk monsters a little bit. So what kind of monsters come up in this in the in your book here, like what what can people expect, uh when they read this?
Speaker 5: So many there's a bunch we've got. The book sort of kicks off with, and there's a lot of a lot of appearances by figures from the Cherokee oral tradition, like the Awa, which is this sort of like big spindly malevolent spirit of madness. There's a raven mockers that show up, which are these sort of like Cherokee they're called witches, but really they're more like these malevolent spirits that cluster around dyeing people. They're invisible, and they they suck out all the remaining years of the life that person would have led. There's hags that change their skin. They're the black Shuck shows up in a sort of like fairly ambiguous way a couple of times. And then there's also there's a couple of monsters in there that are sort of of my own invention, but you know, in that like fine manly Wade Wellman tradition, they're invented, but they kind of are invented to be like they might have come out of a folk tale. So there's a thing called the the Hog of the Bow. Also fairly like like a big razorback that's also a bit doggish and you know, has this big, like snaky fo tongue and is also a little bit chatty because I like monsters that talk because it's more fun that way. If you, if you and you're your protagonist in the monster can have kind of a conversation.
Speaker 1: Sure, a little bit. Uh yeah, what's their monstervation exactly?
Speaker 2: But if you, yes, it helps to be able to bargain with a monster, honestly, Like if you have that ability, like I mean, there's there, they always have an angle, you're able to make a deal.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 1: So so you said you grew up in Atlanta initially, like that was where you were early es.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, in Atlanta and in Dallas.
Speaker 1: I had some really good text mix in Dallas. Uh that's as far as Yeah, I went to the Conspiracy Museum and uh and then the sixth Floor Museum and ate some text mex and then moved on. So yeah, that's my care, that's that's the experience. Basically. Yeah, I saw the grassy know I moved on yeh, yeah, that's there you go. So but but guess what, there's a there's a Dallas Georgia, which doesn't have either of those things, nor does it have good text Max.
Speaker 6: Win.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'll probably trim this section down a bit.
Speaker 4: I expected, just like shooting the ship.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, how did y'all find out about Monster Talk out of curiosity? Oh?
Speaker 5: I've been listening for years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually know, I really.
Speaker 5: Know how I came across.
Speaker 1: A well, cool congratulation. I'm glad. Congratulations to me. I guess is what I trying to say?
Speaker 4: Long time listener, first time caller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always wanted to call it your radio show and say longtime caller, first time listener, and I've never had the opportunity, but man, I want to.
Speaker 5: Oh that'd be not annoyed that I didn't think of that.
Speaker 2: Ye, seriously, you guys have gotten me through so many long crunch deadlines, like being awake at like three in the morning drawing things for Star Wars or some ridiculous monster.
Speaker 4: And then like it's a it's fantastic to be on the show.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, we were both very excited about this. Well, I'm glad to have you. I I really the manly Wade Wellman stories. You know, they're not I don't think they're super widely known, but it's actually there's this crazy thing where like it's one of the first scary stories I ever read was a Manly Wade Wellman story. My grandmother sil John story. It was it was the one with the behind her and I can't think of the name of the story.
Speaker 5: Actually actually was lying on my floor the des.
Speaker 1: Desk on Jendro Yep, that's the one. Yeah, And so what happened.
Speaker 5: In these people don't know is a is a little mountain cabin.
Speaker 1: Oh see, here's the thing. This is embarrassing. But my great grandmother who lived to be almost one hundred and five. Wow, well, her daughter lived to be one hundred and her son is my grandfather, is one hundred and two and still seems to be doing fine. So she gave me this book and it was I believe it was one of the Alfred Hitchcock collections which had that story in it. And I really liked it so much, so I must have been about seven that I took all the pages out and stuck them onto my favorite tree. So that is.
Speaker 5: A very Appalachian thing today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my mom, my mom was like, why did you tear up that book, and I'm like, I'm decorating, what are you talking about? Yeah, but now I can't. I've actually I've got aspirations to repurchase that book, which is not very expensive, but that would be, to the best of my knowledge, the first monster book that I ever personally owned. Uh and uh, and so I want to get it and put it back in my collection. Like I still have my first HP Lovecraft book, which I had lost, but my brother in law bought me a copy, so thanks Andy. Anyway, anyway, like.
Speaker 5: Acts of my Father kind of thing. You know, it's not the same book, but it is the same book, so.
Speaker 1: Exactly where's the exactly? So sorry? But yeah, Wellman and silver John stories basically introduce people to a lot of real folklore and a lot of fake lore. But it's funny though, because as I've done this show, and as you've probably noticed his listeners, a lot of what is fiction becomes folklore. Yeah, there's there's definitely some kind of genetic material being swapped back and forth between fiction and folklore and actual sightings. And I find that fascinating.
Speaker 5: So there's a really there's a really interesting example of that, which is one of manly Wade Wellman's most famous creations is the gardenell, which is a sort of a cabin that's actually a big carnivorous plant that is maybe sort of a cryptid but also maybe sort of a malevolent spirit. And he that creation shows up in a couple of his short stories. And then something that you see people like reporting that they run into, but you do see people talking about it and just assuming that he got it from folklore as opposed to him just making it up out of whole cloth. So like, I definitely I don't remember what book I read this send, but I definitely remember reading a book that that just had had a gardenell in it. It didn't call it a gardenell, but it was. It was very clearly a manly Wade Wellman gardenell. And you go back and look at when the book was written, and it was written fairly recently, and I guess whoever wrote it either didn't do their homework or just figured it's a good story and they're just doing their to get it injected into the folklortion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is interesting. It's just I well, you know what, at some point I'm going to finish doing my research on memes. Uh. And then and then I want to get Susan blackmore on. And Susan used, Yeah, she used to be a paranormal researcher and and then became a skeptic, and now she reached researches psychology and uh, and she's gotten really interested in memesince wrote a book about it. And I want to have her on to talk about that, because she's got this cool crossover because not only, uh, did she study, you know, the paranormal, which I'm interested in, but she also studied memetics. Because if you studied the paranormal long enough, you start to start thinking about how did these ideas get transferred? Yeah. Yeah, it's just like and and I mean, whether they're real or they're not. You know, I think we all know where I fall on that, But but I'm still interested in them. I'm interested in I find them fun and fascinating, entertaining and scary, and but they also seem to speak deeply do what it means to be human. And part of that is how we share ideas and I can't get away from that. So but let's let's let's talk about some specific monsters. A little bit you mentioned wampus cats. Do they Yeah? Yeah, do they show up in your stories? Because I actually know the answer this sort of but.
Speaker 5: Sort of tifvy. It sounded like you had something you were thinking of.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say we have we have a mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first story has that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's basically Anna's first adventure. She's kind of by fortune and fate. She's kind of given this very powerful uh, it's kind of a maguffin. It kind of kick starts the whole her whole journey.
Speaker 1: Probably a wampus a traditional wampus cat, though, is what.
Speaker 5: So the thing with the wampus cat that's really interesting is that it's this sort of thing. It's this it's often described as being either like a big, sort of like gnarly looking cougar or just is a cougar, or it's like sort of a ghostly cougar, or it's a cat that walks on two legs. And the legend around the wampus mask seems to intersect in sort of weird ways with the wampus cat legends. So the first story in the collection is based loosely on a Cherokee folk tale from Tennessee about a woman whose husband is is insane by this spirit of madness, the Awa, and so the Shamans make her a the medicine men make her this mask which will frighten the monster away. And so when I was reading into it, I found all these different versions of the story, and there was a more recent version of the story where actually there's no demon of madness. There's just this woman who wants to see the secret rituals that the men are doing, and so she makes her this cat mask, and the medicine men catch her and turn her into a cat as a sort of like punishment. And I haven't been able to figure out where that particular version comes from, but it seems like there's this whole complex of stories around this weird, unnatural cat, maybe a person who's been transformed or is maybe like a sort of memory of this woman who wore this cat mask to beat this evil spirit. And it's also like a really handy term just to apply to cat that you see in the woods that you don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to me, it's this will sound weird, but one of the earliest exposures I have to the Wampas cat was actually from the computer game Hunt the Wampus, and it. Later on there was a really cool game called Mule, which was spelled like m dot U dot l dot e, which is yes, yeah, which is multiple use labor implement. That was a dandy bunting game from Ozark Entertainment. So i'm the fact that they were Ozark. I don't know if they brought in yeah, yeah, I don't know if they brought in the wampus from the Hunt the Wampus game or from local folklore, but it really had nothing to do with the main part of the game. The main part of the game was a really fun sort of cooperative yet competitive trade game on another planet. But at the same time, you could earn extra money if you went out into the mountains and hunted the wampus on the planet you were colonizing. So that's a little bit of nerd trivia there. Yeah, but it's neat because the Wampus falls into all kinds of categories. It falls into uh, traditional folklore, and then it falls into cryptids because people see them as sort of phantom cats, and that falls into the alien big cat, mysterious cat species sort of stuff that we talk about a lot. So the Cheroke. He had Wampa stories before American was colonized by Europeans.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a little that's a little difficult to parse. This is something where I have to I have to be straight up like obviously, I'm coming into this as an outsider, and my understanding is entirely based on what I've read, and I referenced this book earlier, and I want to sort of plug it again now that I'm in front of my bookshelf and looking at it. James Mooney was this ethnographer who did this really incredible this really incredible long term study of the sort of like history and formulas and mythology of a bunch of Indian groups. But the only book of his that actually made it out of this huge opus that he was planning on writing before he does. Yeah, since Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee and that thing is a gold mine. First person interviews and and sort of like materials that he got when he was talking to mostly the Eastern Band, but a little bit of Eastern Band as well, and sort of like cosmological stuff and and traditional sort of you know what folklorets call wonder stories. And also there's a lot of really good monsters in there, as you might imagine, like the Oukatana, which is, you know, the big horned serpents, and but with stuff like compis cat. There are there are folk tale that are Cherokee that seemed to be folded into the legend now. But whether or not they were originally for me personally speaks not an I's done a lot of research. I had trouble piecing together where even the name comes from. Originally it sounds like an Indian name, but I just don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, what other monsters appear in the text that you would like to talk about?
Speaker 5: Uh, Tiffany, you want to talk about raven monkers?
Speaker 4: I was about to say, can we talk about raven monkers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the raven Mocker you don't really especially I especially appreciated Ausure's version of them.
Speaker 4: They don't really have a face. It's kind of just like a ceramic mask sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And this group of just like endemic witches who were kind of plaguing in the land basically are like worshiping the raven Mocker as a kind of an upstart god essentially and doing dark deeds to kind of like usher forth it's a rival sort of. It's there's kind of a Lovecraftian bent to the story that I really like.
Speaker 4: Our great secret knowledge.
Speaker 2: So the Raven Macker itself in is a Cherokee legend.
Speaker 4: I'm unsure if it's something that.
Speaker 2: Appeared pre colonization or post colonization or like like where the divide is basically, but it's.
Speaker 4: Essentially just a dark spirit that is.
Speaker 2: Related to death rights. So like I think Asha mentioned before, like essentially it kind of hovers over you. It appears, and it sucks the all the remaining years that you have left to.
Speaker 4: Live out of you and takes that for itself.
Speaker 2: So if you are going to die in eighty years, it lives eighty years more.
Speaker 7: So it's kind of like it's very heavy and very existential, very quickly, and the only person who can defeat it is like a particular type of well trained shaman essentially.
Speaker 1: And so if.
Speaker 2: I if I recall correctly, you can't see it, like it doesn't really take physical form, So there's kind of a like ghostly element to it that I really like as well.
Speaker 4: So it's like it if.
Speaker 2: It wants to be seen, it can take certain forms and things like that.
Speaker 4: But but I am large the only person who.
Speaker 2: Can actively see and be like, there's a raven mocker is a super train of like like like well versed shaman in these in these particular rights in trying to depict them in physical artwork, it's kind of interesting because.
Speaker 4: Like how do you depict the undepictable?
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, yeah, like what does it look like?
Speaker 4: It's indescribable?
Speaker 1: Was it was Eldridge? And what's the problem. I don't at all. It practically draws itself. I don't see what the issue is.
Speaker 2: That's I was saying, like that's the problem with like, like anytime you you attack the L word lovecraft onto anything, it.
Speaker 4: Is just like, well, what does it look like? It's indescribable?
Speaker 2: It's completely up to whoever has drawn it before or whoever is created that try before. But I tend to I don't know, like in my personal work, since I am like I love creatures, I love like palaeontological reconstruction, I try to like ground it a little bit in reality, but then just like tweak it a little bit to where it's a little bit like that doesn't make sense or those joints don't work, or why is its hair flying around or something like and give it to like like an otherworldly flavor or something like that.
Speaker 4: So with the Raven Mocker, I tried to not give it edges like I did.
Speaker 2: I did a version of the Ravenmacker where it's upper half basically doesn't have edges, but the lower half has these long spindling legs and these awful little like feet that are kind of grabbing onto the surface that it's sitting on.
Speaker 4: And then of course horrible dead eyed mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very impressed with all the artwork. It looks amazing.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Can you describe Anna's abilities?
Speaker 5: The way I would describe Anna's abilities is it's a little vague in that way that the sort of abilities of most folkloric which is are a little bit vague. She has some element of just sort of raw magical power, but mostly everything that she does is training and technique and sort of wandering around. Is almost like she would not think of herself in this way, but as an ethnographer who's going around picking up this folk knowledge and incorporating it into her sort of like retinue of tricks. But really her her biggest powers that she's very observant and she's a good talker, which is very important when you're sort of a smallish woman facing down rabbiting but somewhat chatty monstrosities been there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so did you? Did you include the snelly gaster?
Speaker 5: Snelly gaster is not in this one, but I do want to get to it in the future story.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Also there's there's the There's a great mons which is from Murphy, North Carolina, which is Tlanousi. The giant leech, which is one of these great monsters that shows up in a Cherokee folk tale about this place where two rivers come together and there's this enormous like ten twenty thirty foot leech that people when they try and cross the river. And you know, most of these stories end with and then a brave person went and like killed the leech, and that story ends with, well, then a brave person to try and kill the leach, and we found his body later and the leech had eaten his eyes and nose. So we just don't use that part of the river anymore.
Speaker 1: I have relatives up in Murphy. That's that's very cool. I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: It's a really cool spot. If you ever get a chance. It's very It's sort of like a little floodplain's forest that's down at the bottom of a canyon, and it's very When I first went, it was flooded out. But it's got this very nice kind of like spooky, swampy vibe of like quartz and like slowing vines, and it looks like the kind of place you might expect to see it.
Speaker 1: Leach A Tippany, you said you had been interested in being a biologist marine biology, a marine biologist in particular. Did you get to draw any water monsters for the book.
Speaker 4: Not quite yet.
Speaker 2: I although, like one of the things that I have heard in my during over the span of my whole career, honestly.
Speaker 4: Is that looks like a water creature.
Speaker 2: Like whether or not it's actually if it's like a house or a car or something like that, it'll be that looks.
Speaker 4: Like a water creature. Like Okay, so I guess like my.
Speaker 2: Like endemic sort of like I like or fish and goblin sharks and all sorts.
Speaker 4: Of like weird deep sea things with teeth.
Speaker 2: Like for a long time, I was super into studying whales and dolphins and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So like that's something.
Speaker 2: That people have always said about my work, whether or not I'm actually drawing water or things in.
Speaker 4: The water at all. So it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: It's that's sort of like it's art subjective, but like whatever people receive from it, like I'm happy to provide.
Speaker 4: So that's something that people have always picked up on. It's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could just imagine what you I think if you had gotten into that, I think the the illustrations you did with your papers would have been amazing. I mean, your artists, these are some really good draw probably scarier than a lot of people are used to seeing in a in a science paper.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I've seen a lot of folklore art that is kind of it's kind of cute or it's sort of like a mannered in this very like I am presenting a painting of a folk tale, and Tiffany's feels really like you took a sketchbook to a witch's sabbath and just drew what she saw. So it just has this wonderful like sketch from life energy to it. You're not pulling some Pickman's model shit with us.
Speaker 1: Are actually.
Speaker 8: One day I'll see them, Oh, actually the way that I like, I grew up.
Speaker 2: With a mother who believed and was it if it was paranormal ghosts, aliens, bigfoot things in the water, like she believed it all and so like I hardcore like wanted to be a cryptozoologist up until I was like wait a minute, like and like in my like teens, so like the idea of folklore and natural history being blended, I don't I don't know, Like I've always had kind of like a natural sensibility for that.
Speaker 4: So the idea of you're watching.
Speaker 2: An animal, is the animal like roaring all the time or posing like aggressively all the time.
Speaker 4: No, So like why would you draw a bigfoot doing that? I don't know, Like.
Speaker 2: There's a logical like leap for me at least in that I want to depict things as if you were, like the viewer was witnessing the monster, because if you were seeing the monster, you would be the viewer. So like, I don't know, that's kind of the sentibility that I try to approach all of my like like quote unquote paranormal or shinky or horror type.
Speaker 5: Of things with I want to I want to jump in on that also because one of the sensibilities that I kind of tried to bring to these stories is that they're they're sort of like folklore inflected fantasy, but they're really deeply rooted in the sort of like lived ecology and the lived history of the Southern Appalachians. And I really like looking at folklore and these sort of like supernatural ecosystems as ecosystems where yes, which there are also salamanders like under the logs and the when the forests are cut down by loggers, Like it's not just the salamanders that are affected, it's the sort of like spooky entities that are affected in some way too, and just trying to like build this world. The thing that I think George R. Martin is brilliant about in Game of Thrones is that he presents a medieval world that medieval people kind of thought that they lived in and takes all that sort of like beastiery stuff and like magic and far off lands, takes it seriously. And we're kind of doing the same thing in this book, where it's if you read these these stories collected and stuff like the Silver Bullet, people lived in a world where witches were real and ghosts were real, and these various monsters were real. And also the bank might repossess your house, and also you know it's getting harder and harder to make a living on the home place, and also you've got to harvest the corn, and all of this is true. So there are these sort of injections of the uncanny. But also if you're someone like Anna O'Brien, who's this young witch who's like, this is her life now, everything is important because everything is real, and that means that dealing with which is just as important as dealing with someone who's lost something and needs to find it.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, that makes good sense. So you mentioned this this book The Silver Bullet and other American witch stories, and obviously if you've listened to monster Talk, you know that I am really interested in silver bullets. Tracking down and discovering that the silver bullets were much more associated with witches than with were wolves up until the nineteen forties. Yeah, like wildly, Yeah, I mean it's I mean, it's like silver bullets were really, really, really important but for witches and shape changers, not were wolves in particular. And so I didn't know this book existed. That's really cool. I'll have to track it down obviously, I'll put a link in the show notes. But when you were looking at witch lore of the Appalachians or Appalachians, I'm having trouble fighting my roots, so.
Speaker 5: This Embrace your Roots. It's that kind of podcast, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're looking in at the witches the Appalachians, did you see a lot of stories involving silver bullets.
Speaker 5: There's a couple. Yeah, I'm actually like holding the book right now. There's a lot of stories about They tend to appear a lot in stories about shape changing witches, which are common of course throughout America and British folklore, but turn up in the Appalachians. There will be cases where there's these there's these animals that are maybe kind of not animals, and people will shoot at them and the guns won't fire, and then you know, they get a medicine man come in and you know, smell them a silver bolt and they'll shoot it. And then the next day someone in town is limping. They're like, aha, it with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all except that it's a witch and not a werewolf. Right, Yeah, it's that that that whole trope gets moved over to werewolf floor. And I just find that fascinating. It's the uh I wounded, I knocked the zero off, and then there's some main town that's got a bandage on their air, you know really.
Speaker 4: So it's like an energetic little bit.
Speaker 9: So a lot of the the colonial perspective that came to the Appellations was from Scott's Irish descent, and so you almost seek like a one for one transition of folklore from the British Isles to Appellations.
Speaker 4: So that's where you get like black dog mits like black shuck, he follows you.
Speaker 2: He may prelude a death in your family. There's lots of like death superstitions. If you see a bird, it's a death. If a mirror crag, Yeah, those are they're really good. But then like so even like the ghost lore of like what to do with a ghost, how to conjure a ghost, how to talk to a ghost, how to dispel a ghost, like a lot of these come directly from the British Isles, and so like one of the long term projects that I've got going on now is an exploration of like lesser known kind of local English book color from different provinces and stuff like that, because it's me and it's like it's creaturey and it's kind of spooky. I tend to lame to the spookier and the creatury sort of stories, so like these are the things that I've attracted to. But there's a lot of like literal one for one, parallels with Appalachian folk lore.
Speaker 4: So a lot of the like lost brides appearing in the river.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of river folklore which has which actually comes a lot from like water goddesses and old like Anglo Saxon stuff from the.
Speaker 4: British Isles and over Roman there's a lot of water stuff in general.
Speaker 2: But this like gets translated in the seventeenth, eighteenth, early nineteen hundreds as like baptism stuff. So there's a lot of like interesting like like as the culture shifts around it, and as the cultural connotation like transforms into like what we think of as Appalachia today, like the folklore kind of gets.
Speaker 4: Dragged along with it.
Speaker 2: So there's I don't know, it's just it's it's a really interesting like like at the same time holdover but at the same time, like it's right on the cusp of everything that's happening societal like as the history of Appalasia has progressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've noticed that as well. And a lot of the way the folklore comes over from Europe. Brother, well, if you look at uh, it's true for everywhere that it comes from. If you look at food and who do as it came over from Africa and got sort of transformed. But also even the.
Speaker 8: Word itself, like the idea of goofer dust, like going and getting graveyard dirt, and if you get the dirt then you can acquire the powers of whatever the person possessed.
Speaker 4: Like like I was just digging into that the other day.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting, nice fun, nice fun.
Speaker 4: The person who was.
Speaker 2: Wealthy and if you get their graveyard dirt, then you also will become wealthy.
Speaker 4: Or if they're really good at the link.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really cool. That's a really cool sympathetic magic. I don't think I know that. Yeah, And then there's what I was gonna say is that things like from France you had the loo Guru, which was more of a in Europe was kind of a classical werewolf, but when it came to America and got down the rude, Yeah, it became more of like a boogeyman who lives out in the swamp, you know, like a sort of it'll get you if you're bad kind of creature, which quite a bit different. But have I I don't remember if I've talked about it on the show before, but you have you had that great Uh yeah, we had two episodes on it. But I can't remember if I told my black Dog story. I don't remember if oh no, yeah, yeah, yeah I did, and uh but I don't know. So if I've told this story before, my apologies. You know. But when I when I was getting ready to get in the Navy, I had to lose some weight, and uh so I was and I love jogging, but I still needed to lose some weight. Uh just my build is very thick, and so I could run like twelve miles, but I always was on the borderline for fitness according to the body measurements. I hated that. Oh my god, anyway is also yeah, yeah, but so I hear it's true. Yeah I was. I was in fantastic shape as far as like what I could do, but apparently you know, anyway, it doesn't matter. But I ran all the time, but I typically would work all day and then run at night. I was a night runner, and I loved it. But as i'd run around my little hometown of Cartersville, there was an area where I would pick up a dog, and the dog belonged to a lady named miss I probably don't shoot so name. Her name was Miss jolly Is. I think she's passed on now, but she had this weird looking Her husband, I think ran a junk yard. But the dog had one eye missing, and it had this huge underbite. But it was a big, thick lab, black lab. And so at night when I would go running, that dog would would come. It would like see me. It would hop off the porch and it would run with me for a couple of blocks, and then it would give up and then go back home. It didn't chase me, it just ran alongside with me. Right. So I go off to the Navy, I got a boot camp, I go spend some time in the Middle East, and I come back to my hometown and my parents tell me that this dog has passed away. And I was sad to hear it because I'd gotten kind of used to it. But as I continued to run. One night, I was running and suddenly that dog appeared, and it was clearly the same dog. It had one eye and a huge underbite. It's not something you could miss, and you know, normally it ran alongside me, but that night I left it behind. So so the next day I went and asked Miss Jolly about her dog. I said, Miss Jolly, my parents told me your dog I had passed away. But last night, I swear I saw it, and she gave me a funny look. She said, well, they told me that I had to keep it chained up, and I didn't want to, so I told everybody it died. I just let it out at night.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so it wasn't actually dead. It's dead now, but holy cow, that scared the poop out of me anyway. So yeah, yeah, so black shuck rings real, real, dear to me.
Speaker 5: The shuck is in the book. It's sort of like major appearance in one story and more supporting than another. And having traveled in Latin America, there's all the obviously, you know, street dogs and pariah dogs, and it's really interesting to be around them because when you're around dogs in America, they are by and large very much pet sort of think of them and as man's best friend.
Speaker 1: I love dogs.
Speaker 5: I grew up with dogs, but go down to Guatemala or Columbia and they're just dogs out on the street living their lives, don't really have anything to do with or any interest in humans. And then you remember, oh, dogs are like medium sized predatory mammals and are potentially quite dangerous. Yes, And there's something about the Black Shuck in particular that for me is this like very It's an autonomous dog. You know, it's definitely a dog. It's not a wolf. It's a dog, but it's not a people dog. And sometimes there are these stories about the Black Shock accompanying young women on the road at night and protecting them from harm. And sometimes there are stories about the Black Shock following people for years. Sometimes it's more of a metaphor. It can be like a metaphor for depression.
Speaker 1: It can be.
Speaker 5: It can be a really grim omen It can be in some stories like obviously like the Beast of Bungay is it's a directly murderous enter.
Speaker 2: So there was a case in the sixteen d either fifteen hundreds or sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: And this is also the part of the This is one of the pieces that I did for my English.
Speaker 2: Folklore project where a church suddenly burst into flames and lots of people were electrocuted to death, and there is a strange association between lightning and a black dog. There are multiple witness reports of a black dog bursting in through the church doors, and supposedly still if you go there today.
Speaker 4: I haven't been there, but there.
Speaker 2: Are burn marks on the church door where supposedly the dogs scratched at the door to get in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've done, Yeah, we did. We've done two episodes on black dogs, and one was with folk lorese David Waldron. So if you want to hear an hour on that, you can go back to our show notes or and find that episode too. Yeah. It kind of reminds me of the Jersey Devil, where you know, there's the folklore and then there's this really cool religious and political history behind the folklore that I find as interesting, but it's not nearly as widely known. And that's just it's one of those things when you when you there's the scary monster part and then there's the hey, what does this mean? And as you say, metaphor figures right into that and sometimes that is literally the monsterification of other religious groups or other political groups or other social groups. As you say, even even Hillbillies themselves have been turned into monsters in some ways, which is just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Monsters are always political.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so. So I was gonna say, they're doing a monster conference and just a little bit south of Austin coming up next April, I believe Joseph Laycock. Oh yeah, I know Joe. So Joe is trying to put together a conference called Gods and Monsters, and I actually owe them a paper I need to put together. But the one of the things that he said in his invitation to submit articles was a quote that said monsters are meaning machines, right, which is wonderful. But but but sometimes they're also monsters, right.
Speaker 5: And that's that's sort of a balance that we we try and strike in this book, which is that the monsters are are there as monsters, you know, stuff like the Hags and the Raven Mocker and the Hog of the Bogs and the Aware. They're all they exist perfectly, really well as monsters. But when I was writing these stories, I was kind of trying to find things to say with the monsters. You know, when the black Shuck shows up the first time, it is as a monster, and when the black shock shows up the second time, it's as a much more ambiguous and sort of figure of mental illness, of trauma of depression, which as somebody I mentioned this earlier, but I might have cut out as somebody who deals with mental illness and depression. Like that's something that I feel like when I could really like dial into and it gives the stories a lot more heft if the supernatural is also the supernatural is is many ways, is many times a poetic way of looking at history, and history that won't stay buried, you know. A ghost is just the paswer that won't lie down. A monster is is an element of the unknown or a thing that scares us that you know, gets all this baggage sort of pile onto it. And the baggage is the fun bit, right like, because without baggage, a monster is just a toothy thing. And there's a lot of toothy things in the world. But the baggage is the it's the cultural stuff and the history and the politics and the religion, and that's really what I think makes a monster interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you think about all the ways monsters are presented in our culture. I mean even in the most what some people might consider not to be great cinema, but things like the Friday the Thirteenth franchise, where where monsters become symbols of punishment for sexual transgression, or with where Will stories where monsters represent the sort of the duality of man and the rage versus reason kind of approach. I mean, yeah, they're they're beautiful in that way, but man, depression is such a real monster, and it's it's so challenging because the way it SAPs your ability to get things done or your interest in life, or it can steal from you all the things that are important.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so it's like a vampire and it's like it's like a curse, and it's like, uh, it's like a demon. It's like so many things. All these stories.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean they they these these things. It's like I wish they were real, because it would be so much easier to deal with a demon that it would be depression. Oh my gosh. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like I suffer from a lot of the same life as an artist, but like that's a lot of this the same that I focused with, like.
Speaker 4: Dealt with a lot of the time, like a lot of the time, remember the years.
Speaker 2: So that's definitely a place, and especially like I said, growing up with a person who believed in the literal existence of aliens are gonna get you, ghosts are gonna get you. Like those were a little bit less so my speed than the more so the like let's go find the lot ness monster, Like that's more mine, Like okay, cool, it's less.
Speaker 1: Threatening, it is, right, right, But at the same time it's.
Speaker 10: Still kind of inhabits that same basic like like socio political, like psychosomatic sort of core where it still is representing like whether or not it's your actual trauma, it's somebody else's trauma. So that's kind of the place that I always approach to, like especially like like I said, the Raven Mocker or like these things that are like they don't have definition, how do you describe the in the indescribable like and then I have to actually at some point I have to put a pencil to paper and actually draw the thing.
Speaker 4: So like like that's something that I always have in consideration when designing.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a house fool of aspiring author artists. Rather when author. Yeah, well I have. I have three children and all of them love creating art, and I was just going to ask you, what what what do you use to do your art? Like how what medium are you working in?
Speaker 2: So for a long time I worked digitally. I was a super photoshop person. Honestly coming back to traditional artwork and just doing like soup.
Speaker 4: So all the things that I'm doing.
Speaker 2: For Anna O'Brien ghost Days are just well, the the cover art is an actual physical painting and all the interior spots are just pencil on paper.
Speaker 4: So coming back to that has kind of been like a journey.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to get my daughter to use a u a, you know, an art pad with her Mac and she's just not that interesting. She likes to pick up paper and ink and she'll paint with anything or draw with anything in the real world, but doesn't seem that interesting digital. And I think, unfortunately people are going to expect her to know the digital side. So I'll keep hammering at her because no both right, why not? No both?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 4: So, like I learned how to use Potoshop on the job. Nobody taught me. I went to a super ledie art school, so you know, like that comes when it comes. If she wants to go into that direction, then that's fine.
Speaker 1: But like, no, she'll do it exactly like I say. Or no, I know what, I'm the most laid back dad. I'm ridiculous. Yeah, before you go, if you've listened to the show, you probably know what I'm about to ask. So, oh man, all right, guys, what's your favorite monsters?
Speaker 4: You go first?
Speaker 5: Black Shock?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's just so you any particular reason besides what you've already talked about.
Speaker 5: It really is that autonomous dog thing. It's like it's one of I like spirits that they show up and you don't quite know what you're getting from them. That's sort of tilt toward the spooky. But also like have all these really complex facets, and you know, I just like dogs.
Speaker 1: I know when I get from them, I get a twenty percent increase in speed amazing.
Speaker 4: Plus by agility.
Speaker 1: That's right, Sorry, go ahead, Yeah, I just like uh, I like dogs.
Speaker 5: I like spooky dogs. I like spooky dogs that you don't know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: There you go, spooky do spooky do?
Speaker 5: I like?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Tiffany, your turn.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with cad Borosaurus. Yeah, I've always been fascinated.
Speaker 2: By the pleasea saurid type like sea serpent, family of sea monsters.
Speaker 4: But that was one of the first ones I remember in.
Speaker 9: The nineties there was all the like paranormal shows and everything, and that was one that I saw that was.
Speaker 4: Like, we found a body.
Speaker 2: There is a physical specimen, but some idiot threw it away, and I was like, I remember being like eleven years old just being like you more and like like I'm eleven and I'm going to tell you what's what this is for science? Listen, and so.
Speaker 6: Like I remember being that child and being like we have to go back, we have to get into their keborosaur's body, and so like that was like one of my first intersections of folklore and like interest in science.
Speaker 4: So it's like both of those were branching cats for me. Have those same times.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I bet, I bet you use an art caddie all the time now.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like, whenever I go back to the crypto videotype stuff, that's one of the first like prompts that I start with is like, let's go back to ken Porosaurus.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we shirek some busted wheels out here.
Speaker 1: There's how many c stories are there about? Well, we found a body, we pulled it. It was really weird looking, but it's stank. We had to throw it back in the water.
Speaker 4: It was too stink. You better throw it in the trash.
Speaker 1: I was in the Navy. It's got to be pretty skank before say they would just throw it overboard itself. It does.
Speaker 5: It's true, it's true. There's actually that just reminds me of one one lass is actually an ozark story. But Ozarks are basically just the western apple Achians. For all offense and purposes. There's a story of of this big tusked lizard called a gow row okay that supposedly lives in the cavern in these like deep caverns and devils in th hole in the in the Ozarks, And somebody supposedly shot a couple and like shipped them off to the Smithsonian. But wouldn't you know it, they never showed up.
Speaker 1: And no, Yeah, how do they even stay in business. They're losing those things. They're losing giant human skeletons. Is there no quality control in the Smithsonian. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's let's give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume that the roads weren't so great back then.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good point. That's a good point. Yeah.
Speaker 5: They You know, if you want some interesting history for your local museums, Yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, the history of the Smithsonian is really interesting. I mean, the amount of money that went to create it is astonishingly large. It's really amazing. And it was covered on one of the seasons of Connections of the series by James Burke, who is a historian and TV presenter, and it's I can't summarize it here, but I'll try to find the episode and put it in the show notes on YouTube or something, but it's really neat. I think it was like one of the shorter versions of maybe season two or season three. Not really important for this conversation, but I do like my museums and the history of how they become the way they are is fascinating to me. Well, thank you so much both of you for joining us tonight on Monster Talk, and congratulations on being funded. And I hope that you're able to take this and get a little more out of it and maybe get those hardbacks out. This is really cool and the artwork's beautiful and the writing looks great, and I haven't read the whole thing, but what I did read was really interesting, and so I'm really interested to see the final product.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you so.
Speaker 4: Much, Blake, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Monster you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and you just heard an interview with Asher Elbine and Tiffany Terrill, the creators of a new illustrated book project about Appalachian folklore called Anna O'Brien Ghost Days. A link to the kickstarter is in the show notes at MonsterTalk dot org. I hope you'll check it out and if it's to your liking, that you'll support it. But act fast, because it took me longer to get this episode out than I wanted, and there's not much time left on the kickstarter. A link to it and a bunch of other stuff that we talked about in this episode are at the show notes at MonsterTalk dot org. Monster Talks an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine, and the views and opinions expressed on this show are those of myself and my guests and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forwarge Slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page, as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners. Please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster talk. Theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys and as always, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Hungry for more skepticism Want to learn the truth about the scientific controversies of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen Jay Goole called the best journal in the field. To subscribe, visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 2: There was a dude I knew in art school who only made girls panties and that was his art. Like that was fine, Like fine, I'm sorry what he made?
Speaker 1: Panties?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't make panties.
Speaker 1: No, what did you say he made?
Speaker 2: There was some art school kid who was like, we were in a narrative drawing class and he kept making panties.
Speaker 1: Are you're talking about the undergarment?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, just making sure, all right.
Speaker 2: Sidetrack, But I could keep I have more stories from art schools.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad I did not go to art school.
Speaker 1: I got to play a colicolo game with a bunch of artists from SCAD, which was I wish that was. Yeah, you know, they've owned a big school in Atlanta. It looks really really cool. Speaking of artists, I need to take a huge on yu wi uh