Speaker 1: All right, Coffee and company rolling along here on Sports Talk seven ninety we are fueled by Thornton's If you guys want to give us a call, you can do it five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred. That's the number. You can also text in on the Elenent Federal Credit Union TEX line five two four three eight ninety seventy three. Big news today is that Josh Hurd has announced that Pat Kelsey has received a raise and a contract extension, bumping him up one million dollars. Obviously good news all around, but the takeaway for me has just been that Louisville probably would have paid him a lot more if if they could afford it. I say that without knowing that for certain. There's always a chance that they could just say, look, we've learned, we've learned the hard way with salaries and extensions raises that that really weren't necessary. We just did it as good faith and it burned us. So I don't know the specifics of it, but I just think if Pat Kelsey keeps winning, they're gonna have to keep up in his salary, and I believe one thousand percent that they will it just to me stands out as a real you know, it's unfamiliar territory for UFL basketball to know that someone could come over the top and double his pay. And I think even if somebody did, Louisville would find a way to make work because they value basketball. They know basketball needs to be successful. And man, this guy in his first years has shown us that he's a great fit and all positive signs after one year, and in fact, as you get set for year two, he's got a roster that folks that cover college basketball think is one of the best in the country. So good news all the way around. All Right, the portal itself has seemed to kind of slow down a little bit. I don't know, maybe I'm just not keeping up as much as everybody else, but I feel like a lot of players that will have a lot of suitors have already hit the portal. There's always in fact, I need to look at the window when it is when you can deadline to enter the portal, because you know, there may be some guys that just wait to the last minute. Heck, there could be some that are waiting to see what happens with the house settlement. But I think, honestly, that if what's being I guess rumored out there that they could potentially put a cap on it, and you can't you know, starting at a certain date that you know you won't be able to make you know, you're just basically going to be restricted to how much money you can make. That Actually, that typically would have led to people entering earlier than expected because they want to make sure that they can get whatever deal they can get before the house settlement's finalized. But anyways, North Carolina they ended up giving Hubert Davis an extension before last season, and if you remember, it came up like I don't know, a month ago, six weeks and it was a really big talking point because nobody knew that it had happened, like it was done without anybody knowing. And Hubert Davis this year, you know, Carolina had to play in to get into the tournament. They did, they won and then of course lost in the first round with a roster that it wasn't nearly as good as some of Carolina's better teams. But like, let's be real, I think every Hubert Davis team that he has coached should have been better than they were now. They didn't make it all the way to the championship game a few years ago, which is, you know, clearly something he deserves credit for. But even that team proved throughout their tournament run that like, yeah, they probably shouldn't have been, you know, an eight seed or whatever they were. So what they did is they gave you know, Hubert Davis signed that extension that nobody knew about. And then whenever there was a lot of talk about, well, Carolina make a move. Carolina's not used to being in this position, and they went with somebody internal, one of their own, and it's not working. And I think at that point there was I don't know if it was an open records request, but somebody realized, oh, this guy not only is going to be the coach here, he just signed a deal. And if you remember, he was on the cheap because he's somebody that honestly, I mean, Carolina can pay whatever for a coach, but I think they also know Hubert Davis, he can read the room. He knows they could go get other coaches, so he you know, he's not somebody that initially came with like a really big price tag. However, now he's making three point seven million. But Anyways, the saving I guess the lifeline that Carolina seemed to be throwing Hubert Davis to kind of you know, Salvage's situation was they hired a GM that they're going to pay a lot of money to and they're gonna really, you know, instead of paying Hubert Davis and he hasn't earned it. But Carolina typically would be paying their coach, I would imagine a top five salary. Well they're not, so that money that you know, could be spent for a salary for a coach to be a top ten paid coach. Maybe they're using that to go to the portal. So I'll bring all this up to say, if you're a Carolina fan hoping that Hubert Davis gets it turned around, there's still hope. But it can't be a good thing that they're losing, like they keep losing five star guards. I mean, who was it yesterday that I mean Isaac Jackson. I'm sorry, Ian Jackson. I mean, he's somebody that was a five star freshman, was really good last year. In fact, I would say outside of kon Kin Nipple and Cooper flag Like, he was probably one of the better freshmen in the ACC. I mean, as a freshman guard he averaged twelve points and you know, he's a talented player for sure, and then Elliott could ohe another freshman for them that I don't believe he ended up being, you know, an all he might have been an All acc freshman performer because again, you know, in fact, I'm sorry, he was a sophomore this past year, not a freshman, but he averaged double figures. So are these guys players that Carolina is okay with leaving because they feel like they're going to go out there and really load up, because that hasn't happened yet as far as the portal, And I just you know, I don't think Carolina was underwhelming last year because of Ian Jackson and Elliott Kiddo's talent level. Right. So, Ian Jackson, by the way, apparently is visiting Saint John's and that would be of course a big git for Rick Patino and really a good fit. To be honest with you, Elliot kddo, I'm not really sure where he's considering going, but yeah, I just I kind of feel like with Hubert Davis, he's a good example of a guy that he's not the worst coach you can do a lot worse. But there's also been enough at a place like Carolina that if it was gonna be super successful, like if he was gonna be the guy, like, wouldn't you know by now? And I don't mean he has to have a final four, and but by the way, he does have a final four, but he also has, you know, a season where he missed the tournament right after being the runner up in his first year, did make a Sweet sixteen, and then had playing game this year, and again a lot of folks like, technically they made the tournament, but in the court of public opinion, nobody believes they were actually a deserving tournament team. So you know, you can have money and you can have opportunity, but players have all the power now. They can do whatever they want. And I just think not to, you know, make it all about U of L. But I feel like Pat Kelsey's the kind of coach and we saw it this year firsthand. He can absolutely get players to buy in and guys love to play for him. And that's such a you know, cliche type thing to say, coach them up and his guys play hard for him. They're a reflection of that guy on the sideline, like all those things I mean when I say them, I mean it. But I'm sure it's just basketball jargon to a lot of people. But I feel like, man, that's never been more important than it is now, because I don't want to say they have to like you, but if they don't like you, they'll leave. And in the previous world, they could hate you, but they're likely not gonna leave because they don't want to sit out a year and it was just a different world. So you don't have to kiss your players ask but you have to find that balance to where they're gonna they're gonna be bought into where you can coach them hard and they still feel a level of like you're their guy, Like there's there's a relatability there and that's why you know, Again, maybe it doesn't work out long term for both these guys, but I do feel like both Louisville and Kentucky have coaches that not only have shown that they can they can coach basketball like they know what they're doing. But I do feel like they are also guys that something that didn't used to be as important is really important now, and I think they that is a strength with both Pope, Pope and Kelsey. You can just tell that the guys never get too high too low, and they're good coaches. So therefore, you know, you can have head scratching losses and maybe a losing streak and come out and go on a run. I mean, Louisville, they nearly lost to Eastern Kentucky, they should have lost to Eastern Kentucky, and then would they do after that? They went on a run that we hadn't seen ever in acc play for Louisville. Now again, I know a lot of that had to do with the league being what it is, but yeah, I just I find myself fascinated, and I'm sure I'm more fascinated than most because I've probably talked about it more than I need to. But just how different everything is in college sports now compared to just five years ago. Some other portal news to get to happy for this young man, Caleb Glenn, and I'm sure there's many others that have done the same thing, but Caleb Glenn. He went to Louisville, played for Kenny Payne, and I love Caleb as an athlete, works hard, he has something that you really I don't believe you can really coach it. I think you have it or you don't. He has a motor, plays hard like and he was super unpolished in his first year at Louisville and his only year at Louisville. Probably should have played more than he did, but like, he played hard. He's physical, and you know, he was somebody that if Pat did decide to pursue players on that roster that he inherited to come back. I'd have been fine with Caleb because I think he's got to I think he would have fit in. But he decided to transfer, and I don't remember what his list looked like, but I do know that there were some schools that probably you would have thought for sure, oh yeah, he can play there, and they didn't want him. They weren't sold on, you know, his ability to you know, they just felt like, okay, yeah, this guy, he really had a lot of his production. Good athlete, but he's not a perimeter player at all. Can't shoot it. I'm not a good free throw shooter. Just you know, an undersized big that probably belongs at a place like you know, Conference USA. Well, Caleb averaged twelve point six points, five rebounds and used that good season at FAU to jump back up, and now Caleb Glenn will be transferring to Michigan State. This is a this is this is a young man who at least right now, we'll see what happens when he gets Dees Lansing. But this is young man who has fully taken advantage of embraced what you can now do right like hey, in a previous world. And this is remember the show Last Chance You. Yes, there's a lot of guys in the football and basketball episodes of the seasons of those shows. They call them bounce backs where you're you're either flunking out in your freshman year after being a big recruit, or you got yourself in some trouble and you're looked at as like damage goods, red flag. So you do a bounce back year at a juco and then re enter the college football or college basketball world. Well, now what's happened is these schools in like Conference USA, the MAC, the Missouri Valley, maybe they are now the new Jucos. They are now the bounce back spots. And look, if you're at AU, I mean you continue to lose players, right. You had guys that were on a Final four team that two years later we're playing on different Final four teams. So, like you know, you have to just know you have good players, they're likely going to leave, but you also can bring in a four star recruit like Caleb Glenn who had offers from a lot of big time schools coming out of high school to where like you know, you know, the biggest difference has to be at that level for coaches, just understanding that, like, no matter what, if we have success, the success can be sustainable, but it's not going to be with the same guys because if they have success, they're leaving. They want to go to a higher level. Not only because they want to play at a higher level, they want money and I'd be willing to bet that Michigan State can pay more money than FAU. In fact, there was a piece of sound I was going to try to pull up here because there was a coach I think from a lot of in Norfolk State. If you remember, they made the tournament this year as maybe a fifteen or sixteen seed, and their coach was you know, he wasn't complaining necessarily. In fact, he was saying he has more appreciation for the junior college level because they're basically glorified junior colleges now. And I only use those words because that's what he That's what he used. That's what he said, so she said. And I'm trying to pull it up here. Maybe it's maybe it's not in my in my archive, like I believe that it was. But and I'm pretty sure I just told you all you need to know about what was that. Here we go. This is Norfolk State's head basketball coach. And I don't remember like his tone, but his message was absolutely true. And I think the Sooner schools not only accept this and embrace it, but really just you know, use it to your advantage. Just understand, we can be successful, sustainable, but we can our success can be sustained. But it's gonna start over every year more than anybody else, because anybody that's good at a place like Norfolk State, they're gonna leave.
Speaker 2: Now glorified juco. This is now a glorified juco. You know, this is like Norfolk State Community College because it's like when I when when I say that, not because of the people and things like that, but it's just the way it is. Coaches. I have so much more respect for them these days because they have to get a new team every year or every two years or something like that. Right, you know, now we got to get a new team every year every two So we basically have glorified Juco because these kids, you know, until mid majors and not just nofa stake, until mid majors get the money that hog majors have, We're never gonna be able to keep kids here, you know, for a long time. I say, it's easy to get them, it's harder to retain them. You know, you can get them because there's a lot of kids that want opportunities. A lot of kids want opportunities, but once they get the opportunity and then they blow up, it's harder to retain them because now the big boy's gonna come.
Speaker 1: So again, just accept it. I mean, you probably should sell, right like it's a weird thing. And I'm sure it's so unusual to do as a coach if you've been doing this, not even a super long time, but just you know, for a little while. Hey, come here, I only need you for a year. I'm gonna I'm gonna give you the keys to the to to run the club. You are way better than what we have here, so just come here. We got a little bit of money for you. But you'll you'll blow up, you'll jump up, you'll be out of here in a year. And it's probably a weird sell, right because it used to be saying, hey, come here and get a four year education and you know, we're gonna build some special That may still work with some but I think you know what he said at the end of that quote there was you can get them because they want opportunity. Again, I don't know for certain, but the young man who it was made official today has signed with Louisville. One of the three transfers that has already committed to Louisville, the highest rated one for what it's worth, Adrian Wooley of Kennesaus State. You know, I just I don't know what would he who he considered before he signed with Kennesau State, But it wouldn't be a shocker that maybe his offer list would have included some of the bottom tier Power five programs, right Like, maybe he'd have got an offer from Providence, maybe he would have got an offer from Boston College or South Carolina or maybe I don't know, TCU, something like that. But they now instead of offering three stars, they'll take maybe one or two or just say, look, our best bet of being good is going and getting the portal guys who maybe couldn't get thirty minutes a game at a power program. So that leaves guys that are three stars borderline top one fifty. You know, their offers aren't going to be as big as they were maybe five six years ago, but they're going to go to a level where they're ready to play right away and the production is going to be there if they're good, and then they jump up. So it's just it's different world, all right, quick break, we'll come back here. On the other side, Rick Patino said something that I want to discuss was anything about the Louiville Kentucky. But he's been getting hounded by some New York fans who, of course want to embrace Saint John's but they want to know, Ricky p who you riding with? Yankees are Mets And he he did the you know, he did the thing that like didn't win him any points on either side. So we'll get to that in a lot more. Keep it locked. It is called Cofie and Company. Feel abou Thorn's ready are on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: That's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon. The week has gone by really, really fast. I feel like I just got back from vacation. But we're about to be done with the first week back from vacation. Good stuff. I guess it's a good thing. If it's going back quick, it means we're enjoying ourselves at least I am. I hope you guys are as well. I'm certainly enjoying the next guest we're going to be bringing on. It's mister Eric McElroy, Doctor Eric mclash should say, from Prorea Physical Therapy. How we do it, Eric? Jebgot spring break.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, we did.
Speaker 5: We actually didn't go anywhere, but we used it as a week to catch up. Well, we did go visit my in laws for a few days, which was fun, but we definitely got caught up on some stuff.
Speaker 4: That we needed to which was kind of nice. Yeah, so it was a good week. How was your week?
Speaker 1: It was good. We didn't get great weather. We had made a trip down in a varb each did a little took the family, and then a lot of friends of ours brought their kids, so a lot of babysitting kids. But a lot of good times were had. And I did forget that this time of year, you know, you kind of really never know what you're gonna get when it comes to h to weather down there in that area. But it was better than what it was here. I mean, flooding, tornadoes, yikes. And we're still dealing with the aftermath of all that rain.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely that it was crazy.
Speaker 5: We mind laws live in London, Kentucky, so we got a lot of rain, but not near the amount it was up here.
Speaker 4: And uh yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: It's been a little while since we've had this kind of flooding, so I know, man.
Speaker 4: And get how how much it impacts the city.
Speaker 5: You know, canceling thunder, which was unheard of, but it's just it's gonna be a weird started derby.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: And and thunder being canceled obviously is a big bummer, just for those who travel here to enjoy it, and of course those who live here that really you know, embrace us having such a big event that brings so many people to the Kentucky and A area. But I really feel for those that that's an annual thing that is such a big part of their business, right, I mean that's you know, if you're on River Road, not only are you not able to take in probably what is maybe one of your bigger days of the year. If you've got a restaurant, a bar, or really any place. To be honest with you, if you've got problem location, doesn't matter what your business is, you can sell tickets for people to come and watch the fireworks, and you can probably make a big, big amount of money. Well, not only do you not have the chance to do that because no thunder, you're probably underwater right now. Some of the some of the footage of of of River Road and just down in that area, even up to like the Clifton area. Now, I mean, I've lived here my whole life, and I can't give you a rundown of all the different flooding and crazy storms we've had, but man, this one certainly seems like it's going to be one to remember for a long time.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely. And you know you brought up the.
Speaker 5: Businesses that are impacted, one of the I would have to bring this up. I've been very fortunate and blessed to work with both Racing and Low City yep. And you know, Racing has a game this weekend and it was you know, part of their Thunder.
Speaker 4: You know, a big deal.
Speaker 5: You get a ticket, you watch Thunder and hopefully a lot of the fans go out. They really need the support. It's they're an awesome team. Those are the best soccer players in the world. Uh and so, and you know Rodman's daughter is going to be here, so Superstar is going to be coming in. So you know, I you know, use this moment to tell everybody, like, if you don't have anything to.
Speaker 4: Do, now go out at least if you can get down there and watch the game. So absolutely to be time.
Speaker 1: And the rain that that came here and ruined Thunder for us, it's not expected to be here. We should looks like we're gonna have some sunshine on Saturday, So make it a make it a day, get out there to a Lynn Family stadium and enjoy great quality product of soccer. And also just I mean that there's a lot of awesome things here in this city that I that I love and call home. But man, being at Lynn Family stadium and then riding by it on the interstate like it's a it's a it's a butte.
Speaker 5: It's awesome. It is awesome. It's awesome, good sound environment too, when.
Speaker 1: There no doubt about it, all right. So I wanted to talk with you about ACL tears, Eric, because there is a current little basketball player who is coming off of an ACL injury case in prior and his happened towards the end of November. I believe he had his surgery early December. And then there's also a future Kentucky Wildcat who just suffered a torn ACL at the end of I believe it was February. And that's Jaden Quaintans, who's transferring in from Arizona State, A big fella, former five star recruit, but he had surgery to repair his torn ACL on March nineteenth, so roughly a little little bit under a month ago. Kentucky fans, obviously this is a big addition for them, and I know every situation is different, but just you know, average ballpark timeline for a six' eleven big man to. RECOVER i feel like every year it seems like they've shaved a little bit of time off the recovery for AN. ACL i know Some kentucky fans think he may be ready to go early. SEASON i kind of feel like that's a little getting ahead of. Themselves but, maybe you know, what DO i, know Maybe i'm wrong?
Speaker 5: Here, YEAH i think that you, know that sweet SPOT i would say, nowadays if you were going to try to get on an average would.
Speaker 4: Be eight or nine.
Speaker 5: Months you, know you don't Wanna you're gonna have those who are gonna fall earlier in, that you're gonna have those who may take a little longer for different.
Speaker 4: Reasons there's a whole laundry list of reasons.
Speaker 5: Why and you, know BUT i would say if that IF i was gonna put a sweet, spot that's where it would.
Speaker 4: Be you, know so you kind of do the.
Speaker 5: MATH i think, that you, know there's one thing to be returned to, sport there's another sure to be returning to.
Speaker 4: Performance, uh you, know.
Speaker 5: It's a whole Different you, know he may be able to get some minutes or starting to integrate in is he gonna be ready to play a full?
Speaker 4: Game probably.
Speaker 5: Not you, know there's obviously the conditioning aspect of things they got to ramp. Up so, YEAH i MEAN i think that would be as you, know the dream is hopefully he's on the for The kentucky fans would be that he's.
Speaker 4: On the six month. Window but that's pushing.
Speaker 5: IT i mean it's it's few and far between and also very sports specific. Dependent so but you, know surgical techniques have in, rehab.
Speaker 4: Well we know what we. Do you, know sometimes it's.
Speaker 5: It's it's pretty clean in quote unquote easy if you, will and sometimes it can get.
Speaker 4: Complicated so you.
Speaker 5: Never want to put a hard time frame on.
Speaker 1: Anything Doctor eric Maclroy probor of Physical therapy is our guest showing us here On Sports talk seven ninety So cason's, injury it took place right After, thanksgiving was when they were in The bahamas for the for The battle For. Atlantis and, AGAIN i know everybody's situation is, different and you may actually have some some info in this AND i would never question and Never i've never asked you to give us any kind of details if you do have. It but when it comes to to Caseon, PRYOR i mean that kind of, TIMELINE i, mean you never, know but he he should be by the time you get to you, Know november of this, year, again you never really know how anybody's going to, recover but that that's that that's a good amount of time for him to potentially be in you, know pretty good shape to maybe be able to go right. Again you never, know BUT i feel Like, tommy you lost him for for almost the whole. Year but the benefit, is you, know his recovery tom started while they were still playing basketball this. Pass, yeah and he's doing really.
Speaker 4: Well he's on.
Speaker 5: TRACK i think that if it's twelve, months there's usually something that's. HAPPENED i, mean they're not gonna share, everything but that would be a shock for, me you. KNOW i think, that you, know could there be some limitation to you, know, again LIKE i, said how long he's, playing how many minutes he gets possibly there's a lot of things that you're looking.
Speaker 4: For you, know at that, point you're definitely not worried about his knee per se.
Speaker 5: Anymore you're just making sure that you know he's what what the biggest thing with return to play or return to performance, is you, know is the the uninvolved leg and the involved leg about as equal as possible about his. Equals you want that within about ninety ninety five percent of all the testing that you're, doing and then you want that to correlate to actual game speed and gameplay.
Speaker 4: That and then that last.
Speaker 5: Variable is is he able to perform at the level that the athlete is used to doing a custom to playing.
Speaker 4: At and you, know that's that's a fine line between not being able to do that and doing.
Speaker 5: That that doesn't mean he's not, playing, sure it just means that, there you.
Speaker 4: Know he may not be fully back quote.
Speaker 5: Unquote SO i think that those expectations for the.
Speaker 4: Fans sometimes they see him in the, lineup they see him get out there, says oh he's. Back he may be working back, still so but you're at, least you, know in the.
Speaker 5: Games you can't mimic that and rehab you can get them into practice and, stuff but until they get in the, games they don't really face those fears and anxiety of the re, injury you. Know and and, honestly what's in his favor is that, hopefully, Uh and WHAT i would expect is that he's starting to work into some of these you, know preseason games, beforehand so he can get action without the.
Speaker 4: Pressure, yeah which is, huge it's. Huge Uh and so, uh that's where he needs to be AND i expect him to be.
Speaker 1: There, yeah he's somebody that you know UNTIL i, mean EVERYBODY i think should expect him to be. Back but we're in a different world, Now, Eric it's a college sports has changed by about one hundred years in about five and we have now hit a point where you, know you don't just want to, assume, well surely they're they're not going to be, back or you know they'll, leave but just to know that everybody can and obviously the, young these young athletes and are these young, PROFESSIONALS i guess we can call them. Now they're going to look out what's best for, them WHICH i think most human beings. Would but you, KNOW i just in a previous, WORLD i would, say, oh, yeah he'll be, back he'll be, healthy he'll be ready to. Go AND i assume that's the. Case but, Man louisville's rosters so, Far i'm not sure if you've been able to keep up with it with all you've got going. On and you're very busy, guy and HERE i am just nerding out on the Transfer. Portland all these great additions That Pat kelsey has. Added but, man even Without, casein they'll be good but with, him, man they could be really special next. Year AND i say that knowing they just went eighteen to two of the acc In pat's first.
Speaker 5: Year which is insane to think, about, RIGHT i, know he's able to flip it, around and, god we can have you, know you have shows about.
Speaker 4: This oh, yeah it's. Incredible and then to.
Speaker 1: Be able to add to it talking About Pat kelsey being, great it's kind of become a. Personality. Eric it's not a great, thing but it's just it's. Happened he's been that.
Speaker 5: Good, yeah you, know you almost fear, it you know WHAT i. Mean it's, like you, know you don't want to get your hopes up that that's just the norm, now just because you've been so you, know.
Speaker 1: It's like we were spoiled in year.
Speaker 4: One, man servis it's too good to be?
Speaker 5: True, yeah you know, so uh but, yeah it's been amazing to see what he's.
Speaker 4: Been able to do and the players he's bringing. In And i've been keeping up with, it and you, know the.
Speaker 5: Guy can, recruit and you, KNOW i Expect casing to be, back and like you, said you never.
Speaker 4: KNOW i will say this when a guy comes off.
Speaker 5: An, injury you, know there's a lot of loyalty that's built between that staff really working with these, guys.
Speaker 1: And, uh it's a great point.
Speaker 4: Getting them back and and you, know.
Speaker 1: A lot of time spent in, that and, yeah a lot of tom spent seemingly in a tough time for a young. MAN i, Mean i'm not sure what his injury history is, overall but you, know there's a lot that goes into it other than just the physical rehab part of. It And i'm sure you know, AGAIN i Know i've mentioned this to you over the. Years it always makes me think of our conversations when you hear of athletes that suffered an injury and they make a return and things are really working out for, him and they they'll go out of their way to, acknowledge you, know probably some tough conversations where they've needed THE pep talk to stay, positive trust the process to rehab and get. Better and, uh you, know you're, right that probably. DOES i would imagine that's one of the many things that we as fans that aren't into the thick of, things we don't really think about. It but, man, Like i'm sure there are some trainers out, there folks that are on the staff medically with these players that over, time and it probably was a bad thing that led to, it but throughout that, Process i'm sure they become really.
Speaker 4: Close oh, yeah and that, bond the comfort, zone it's. Huge you.
Speaker 5: Know i'm FORTUNATE i have some athletes that play all over the country and they still reach out to me for. ADVICE i, MEAN i may not be those that's, awesome, uh but you know they you build a bond and a trust when you've helped somebody through some stuff that it really doesn't go. Away and and you, know you you may just be like second guessing what you're, doing or you just need to hear it from somebody else or. Uh and you, know and that's that that means a lot to these, athletes especially what he's going through right. Now he's still. Grinding some of these guys may be taking some time. Off he's not taking. Off he's grinding every day because he's got a goal and he's got to get.
Speaker 4: Back and so you know that there is no really off season when you're.
Speaker 5: Where he's, at because the time is going to start to shrink on him and he wants to.
Speaker 4: Be ready before the beginning of the. Season So, yeah they're working every.
Speaker 1: Day Doctor derk, mclroy prog of physical, therapy joins us here On Sports talk seven ninety. One more question for. You, obviously The master's in full swing, now AND i WISH i had a little bit more knowledge of the sport of, golf. DON'T i don't keep up with it as much as, others AND i certainly don't play much Because i'm not very, good BUT i do understand how popular it, is and there's a lot of people that listen to this show that are. Golfers what would you recommend maybe some under the radar preventative things people can do to prevent some injuries on the golf. COURSE i, know if you play a, lot there's obviously some injuries that come with, it maybe nothing, serious but just you, know somewear and, tear especially if you're somebody that's out there every. Weekend what are some things maybe golfers wouldn't realize they could do to help them prevent having a little bit of an injury along the way they could keep him off the.
Speaker 4: Course, well that's a loaded.
Speaker 1: Question that's WHAT i, do.
Speaker 4: But it's you, know you know what the first thing that, is think like an.
Speaker 5: Athlete golf is a lifelong. Sport it's what happens to golfers is they start to lose their fast switched muscle.
Speaker 4: Fibers oh everybody.
Speaker 5: Does, this but we'll just use this as a golf.
Speaker 4: Example but because they you, know have a sedentary job.
Speaker 5: Maybe and, uh they don't you, know they work, out but when it work, out it's like very much fitness, based slow and deliver.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 5: Uh and then they go out on the golf course and they swing as hard as past they can the first time they step out, there and then they wonder why they're.
Speaker 4: Back hurts because they've lost.
Speaker 5: Mobility they haven't been developing their fast switch muscle, fibers which is what you're recruiting.
Speaker 4: When you hit a golf ball off of.
Speaker 5: Teeth and so what happens is that you start recruiting other things to, help and that leads to more. Injuries so you, know at some point you got to start training as if you're doing an athletic.
Speaker 4: Movement and you, know there's all kinds of professionals who can hopefully guiden them on.
Speaker 5: That we do a lot of this when we have them come in from you, know whether it's we do some performance side of, things or if they've been. Injured but the biggest thing, is you, know, one work on your, mobility try to maintain that.
Speaker 4: Mobility and two you've got.
Speaker 5: To work on integrating some kind of speed and power into what you're. Doing because if your body's not prepared for that kind of stuff and you go out and you do that eighteen times off fatigue plus all the.
Speaker 4: Other shots you're, hitting you're you're gonna get.
Speaker 5: Hurt and the last thing THAT i think that is really important is give yourself a window to get to the course and warm your body.
Speaker 4: Up don't just go hitting.
Speaker 5: Balls warm your body, up start to break a little bit of a, sweat whether it's doing something stupid and simple like jumping, jacks but do something.
Speaker 4: To get your body engaged in.
Speaker 5: GOING i always use athletes, like if it's good for these college and pro, athletes it's definitely good for somebody who's.
Speaker 4: Not training every. Day, sure so you got to get out and do these things to get your body ready.
Speaker 2: To hit the.
Speaker 1: Ball there you, go, folks you hear. That that's why you should trust the professionals and the guidance that you get from the pros like Doctor eric, McElroy pro. Rehab eric is always appreciated the, time keep up the great. Work always a great time chatting with, you and we'll talk, soon.
Speaker 4: Buddy, Absolutely nick can have a good.
Speaker 1: One you two take. Care that's Doctor eric McIlroy. ALWAYS i, mean he brings such a good vibe to this, show does he Not? AUSTIN i, mean just good, energy good, energy good. Dude love having him as a part of this. Show and again appreciate his. Time he's, busy got he's got things he could be doing way more important than you, know yucking it up with. Us but again we appreciate. Him quick, break we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock. Hour keeping it rolling. Along i'm starting to, like you, Know i'm feeling. Good i'm not as as slap happy AS i thought i'd. BE i don't know if you guys, know BUT i, MEAN i woke up at three thirty this. Morning this is going to be a seven hour radio day for. ME i, MEAN i, MEAN i just want it out, there you, Know and facial hair is still. THERE i love. It, yeah it's Coming. Inette venette didn't make fun of it, today which made me feel better about it BECAUSE i thought for sure when he sees, it he was going to be cracking, jokes but he. Was he was kind about. It so, anyways quick, break don't go, anywhere keep it locked right here On Sports talk seven.
Speaker 3: Nine now back a coffee and company fueled By Thornton's On Sports talk seven nine, DAY.
Speaker 1: I was about to wrap up the four o'clock hour by sharing something with, you AND i was gonna set it up by, saying, HEY i don't know a lot about, golf BUT i got some you, KNOW i got some some info that you may not. Know but THEN i, realize this is this maybe something like everybody knows because it's Because i'm such a golf. Outsider like, HERE i am thinking this is like me sharing a very interesting. Fact but, again it could be something everybody. Knows But i'll share with.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Anyways if you know, it then. Cool IF i gave you some info that you were not aware, of then you know you're. Welcome but there are different perks when it comes to winning The. Masters, obviously the green, jacket you, know you get the replica of The master's, trophy you get a gold, medal you get a permanent invite to The Master's. DINNER i didn't know, that but it's listed. Here how about, this, though you get the right to put together the me you at The Masters championship. Dinner, now it says here that in nineteen fifty Two Ben hogan ushered in a new tradition at The masters when he organized a dinner for all of the golfers who'd won the tournament that took place on The tuesday before the event got Underwag and this is nineteen fifty two twist that was eventually introduced that gave The this was a twist that eventually introduced and gave the person who won the previous year the opportunity to pick which dishes are, served which has resulted in plenty of mouthwatering menus as well as the sad sad selection of. Food Bubba watson forced everyone to eat on multiple. Occasions so you don't have To you do not have to pay you? Do oh, sorry you do have to pay the. Bill but it's a small, price they, say for what is more than not a once in a lifetime. Opportunity wait a, second DID i read that? Right that's a small price to pay for what is more than a than? NOT i don't. KNOW i don't know If i'm running on three hours sleep and that's WHY i can't. Read BUT i think there may be a typo in this. Article but, NONETHELESS i, mean, like can you pick anything or do you have like a menu to choose from and you have to like customize, it because LIKE i feel, like if you show this is from twenty, nineteen this, MENU i don't know who wanted who put it. Together it might maybe this is the one that they're referencing making fun Of Bubba. Watson but in twenty, nineteen The Master's club dinner included caesar salad or wedge. Salad you also had prime bone in cowboy ribi with herb butter fish available upon, request and the fish is mountain. Trout you also get macaroni and, cheese white, cheddar smoked gouda, cream, spinach corn, cream, blelet sweet corn, cream and something sugar and then of course some steamed. Broccoli so that can't be the one they're making fun Of Bubba watson, for because that sounds like a very elegant. Dishes it not it sounds, upscale.
Speaker 6: Sounds like something literally from like a country boy In georgia would like have on his.
Speaker 1: Dinner so Apparently Bubba watson was made fun of By Nick faldo because he had a year to decide on it many years ago when he, won and he decided on grilled, chicken mashed, potatoes, corn and macaroni and. Cheese what's wrong with? That, like, again tell me that golf's not a snob sport whenever people are Clowning Bubba watson because he wants grilled, chicken mashed, potatoes, corn macaroni and. Cheese, LOOK i can think of better meals than. That but Like Nick faldo is making fun of him saying hashtag happy. Meal LIKE i mean, again, like do we need more proof that there's a bunch of snobs in?
Speaker 6: GOLF i, mean so they make the dinner for the next, year so like the winner of.
Speaker 1: The winner gets to pick to put the menu together and they also have to pay for. It What like that's that's one of those things that you, know LIKE i talked about this earlier this morning on Has, golf like The masters, Specifically like there are some weird things about it that have been you, know that have been some rules and whatnot that have been in place for so. Long and that's what makes, It, like you, KNOW i wouldn't say, cool but, like you, know that's why The masters is, special because you, know it's just different than all the other majors and. Whatnot but some of the, rules like it's just like are you are you aware that it's twenty twenty, Five, LIKE i don't think taking yourself too serious has ever been a good look for, anybody including a golf. Tournament like you can still be up any up at the golf. Snob but like some of the things you're Not like you you're not allowed to call fans fans because it's. Fanatics you have to call them. Patrons if you if you get like your phone, out like you get kicked. Out it's twenty twenty. Five we live on our, phones, Man LIKE i don't. Know just, AGAIN i said it, Earlier and it's not to say that, Golf Like i'm not complaining about, Golf, like, hey if they did, This i'd be into. It they don't need, ME i don't need. Them just an observation from a non golf, guy like it's not a real welcoming. Sport just to be.
Speaker 6: Honest for the life of, ME i still don't understand why you're not allowed to like why you're only allowed to make noises like a selectively like.
Speaker 1: Did how did how did people not Watch Happy gilmore many many years ago and, say, yeah we need more of. That he's, like give me a little bit of w W e.
Speaker 6: Someone calling someone a jackass Water, Yeah, LIKE.
Speaker 1: I mean, again golf is the purest sport and it's you, know it's it's a gentleman's, game that kind of. STUFF i get all. That, yeah and they don't need, us, Right they've got great. Viewership like golf is. Fine So i'm not saying that it needs to make all these, changes But i'm just SAYING i think you could bring in an even bigger audience if you kind of you, know if you let if you let the white trash like us, in Right, austin like let the white trash in baby like, yeah like, YEAH i mean Like i'd probably get. Cuffs i'd get cuffed and stuffed IF i showed up to the you, know to The masters and you, know with anything bush, light, Right oh, sure because they're because there's snubs.
Speaker 6: You showed up in A CREED t shirt or a stone Cold Steve AUSTIN t.
Speaker 1: SHIRT i Mean i've never felt more out of place than when it comes to just golf. World and, again it's not to say that like they're doing they're doing something. Wrong I'M i mean, again it's just there's a lot of things That i'm completely, Like, YEAH i, DON'T i. DON'T i don't need, to you, Know i'm. Fine but golf is the one thing that IF i would have really cared about getting into it and learning more about, IT i would have done it by. Now but also it's LIKE i it is of all my. FRIENDS i got a lot of friends that are baseball, fans but like we don't talk baseball because nobody talks. BASEBALL i mean maybe some people, do but like you, know it's just not a conversation with the boys quite LIKE nfl basketball that kind of.
Speaker 6: Stuff oh, yeah, well what's a slugging percentage against right handed?
Speaker 1: Pitchers?
Speaker 6: Yeah see, YEAH i, mean LIKE i don't even know what's he looking like with runners in scoring.
Speaker 1: Positions like my my group chat with the fellas this IS i can't read some of, it but my Buddy matt' Said Justin thomas out there looking like an amateur At Penn run on A saturday after a few. Beers my Buddy chris, responded he should be plus. Ten the way he's. Playing his recovery has been. Unbelievable my Boy ron, SAYS i Need Justin rose to chill f, out and Then matt, says, well he's had plenty of practice on it the last few. Years my Buddy scott, Says scotty's winning, this and Then matt, SAYS i don't, Know rory is playing pretty well so. Far maybe Maybe destiny Long turney though might. Be and then they're talking About nance needing new underwork because he's getting so excited about the potential pairing Of scotty Versus rory On, sunday of, course and so again like, that these are my lifelong. Friends many of these GUYS i just reference were in my. Wedding they're all having a, conversation getting into, it, man AND i got fomo BECAUSE i got nothing like you're.
Speaker 6: Just sitting there with your hands in your. Pockets, yeah like what what?
Speaker 1: What, Yeah i'm just Gonna i'm. Gonna i'm just gonna text this right. Now AND i doubt they're listening because they're probably watching The. Masters they heard Of Scotty scheffler got. Arrested i'm gonna say hell of a start to The master's boys and see what they. Say i've never once talked golf with any of these human. Beings they are well aware THAT i don't, know And i'm gonna see if they're, like did somebody Steal nick's phone or or maybe THERE i don't. Know i'm gonna try. It we'll see what they. Say on the other. SIDE i know none of you. Care but, Whatever i'm dealing with. It it's an internal. Way this is me internally dealing with the fact THAT i CAN'T i can't yuck it up with the boys BECAUSE i know nothing about.
Speaker 6: Golf just add to the text boys or boys are swinging? Today, yeah like what's good?
Speaker 1: Golf? Lingo the club clubs are clubs are? Flying, no they wouldn't be, flying would? They the boys are driving it. TODAY i don't.
Speaker 6: Know as a as a nice lay up right, there you can't say. That they. Say they say that layup is a, term and is.
Speaker 1: It i'll take your word for it when.
Speaker 6: You because you want to SAY i want to lay it up right, there like right right at that. Hill that's where that's where you want it to. End to have that good.
Speaker 1: SHOT i just, said hell of a start to The master's. Boys i'll see what they say five o'clock hours next right here On Sports talk seven ninety