Speaker 1: I'm Ali.
Speaker 2: I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that.
Speaker 3: Come with it when coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 4: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles, where we are super pumped to have doctor Lorie Sulpisio with us again. Thank you so much for being willing to come back, doctor Laurie.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels like even in that time period, we've had a million relationship things come up.
Speaker 1: So that's busy woman over here. This feels like a good time.
Speaker 5: How have you been, I've been well, I've been well. It's like it's a you know, come of the end of that academic year right now, and so just kind of the excitement for summer and you know, warmer weather coming. I think it's good. Everyone and everyone on my side here is excited.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, will your kids be home this summer?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so my my football player on the East Coast will come home for a little bit and he's got to go back, you know, to he'll be he'll be back for going on a big family vacation to Italy. So it's super exciting all night. And I have the only daughter, but all the nephews, so there's nine grandkids, my sisters, you know, my parents were all going to Italy. You know, it's aligned because the kids are getting older, so it's harder to schedule with them. But yeah, so Ione's really looking forward to this trip.
Speaker 1: It's very white.
Speaker 2: Lotus of you guys, the Italy adventure.
Speaker 6: Right, you need a reality show to follow you?
Speaker 5: Oh right, yeah? Maybe, yeah, for sure, we'll stream something. We'll see let's.
Speaker 2: Dive in because we know we don't have you too long, so we have a few topics that we.
Speaker 1: Want to get into. I guess, Melissa, do you want to introduce the first one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, the one that I was really kind of thinking about recently is that trusting your own intuition. You know, I think really just as we get older, and especially with how like therapies we've all become, it becomes this like battle between your.
Speaker 6: Brain, your heart, and your gut.
Speaker 3: And really, I think most of the time my gut is correct in the situations, but I don't trust it. You know, I went my whole life without doing therapy up until my late thirties, and so it's it's become like now I have like these words to therapize what I'm feeling, but then I'm having a hard time carrying out what needs to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I think, you know, part of it is, well, our situation is a great thing, and I think we sometimes need to listen to it. I think what maybe has happened though, is that because of you know, therapy speakers everywhere, and we've got all this information that now, like we second guests, we second guess ourselves, wondering is this narcissistic behavior? Is this god to pendit behaviors? This pass the best of them by being gas lit? It's like, oh my gosh. Yes. And not to dismiss those behaviors, I mean they are real, they're problematic, but I think we've amplified some of the tendencies and put and projected them onto people, and now we're almost hyper suspicious. You know, every little thing, you know, isn't gaslighting, Every little kind of selfish choice isn't narcissistic behavior. I mean, you know, it's like I think we need to relax a little bit in terms of all the second guessing. But then also there's a way of checking our own story and our own sort of meaning making with what's driving our intuition, you know, And what I mean by that is do we have a realistic sense of rel relationship of our self of the other person? You know, Like are we basing this intuition and the trust on kind of accuracy or on you know, what's real or has it become kind of a fantasy for what we hope to have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like how do you do that?
Speaker 2: Like that sometimes feels hard because it's like, even with one person, I will own one moment I feel like the data is telling me all this positive, great stuff, and then it's like one thing happens and I'm like, oh no, there we go again, Like it's the data is contradicting what I thought, and then that snowballs into my new reality.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I wonder, though, is that really intuition? Because I would say your intuition or your inner knowing is almost more energetic. You know, It's like this kind of you enter a space and you immediately like, oh, we connect, like I just feel it, you know, whether it's romantic or platonic, just this is this is a good person. This is a person I can hang out with. I like their energy, you know. And then there might be somebody that you meet and you're just like like, you know, Spidey sense is just telling me there's just something about them to me. That's that kind of energetic inner knowing. So the things I think what you're describing is where kind of the cognitive I mean, this is where our cognitions are maybe taking over the thoughts that we're having about one thing goes wrong that means the whole thing is going to become a disaster. They do one little thing, you know, they don't call me back, they look a little anxious, they're a little avoidant. Oh my gosh, they're always going to be insecure and come at me, or oh my gosh, they're gonna withdraw every time. It's hard. That may not be true, right, So part of it, I think is checking our thoughts when we have one of those moments and wonder, what are we thinking about this situation and are we spinning it out into something that it really may not even be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 2: I like what you said about the energy because it is true, like if you're just like walk into a dinner party. I've had situations Melissa's usually with me, where I've walked in and said we went to a brunch together. This wasn't even not long ago. I walked out of the brunch. I looked at her and said, that was fucking awful. My nervous system is wrecked, like I can't sit with thee like that was so bad for me, Like I did not enjoy that, and she was kind of like, yeah, it was a little off for me too. And then I've had other situations where we've had something happen and I'm like, that was a blast, Like I felt myself. I felt, you're right, like I don't know that we pay it. I go to my head, what are the facts? What are the facts versus like what has be Yeah, and even interesting, like what are the facts?
Speaker 5: It's so funny because when I work with couples, they'll have a very different set of facts. Yeah, have the same situation. Part of it is like, of course, there's the time of day that it happened, where were we what was said. I mean, so there could be some facts, right, but then we fill in the blanks, which is, well, well you were being flirty. It's like, well is that a fact or is that an opinion about an interpretation for how somebody sees somebody's behavior. Right, So I think part of it is even things in our head. We think it's facts, but we're filling in the blanks with our own experience, our own interpretation of the situation, and then we're making meaning of that. And if our tendency is to make meaning like from a scarcity model or a fear based model, we're immediately going to run and say, oh, this is catastrophic, this is going to be terrible. Oh I knew this all along, right, And we're thinking it's the gut, but like maybe it's not. Maybe it's our our thoughts run wild, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's so interesting because that's something I learned like in the last like year or two of like really because I would look at things like a situation where it's like from my perspective and my perspective only and not really considering like how could my person feel x y Z way about this?
Speaker 6: Like that was just you know, that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't a big deal, not really taking a step back and being like, oh, but like this is how they felt, and they're trying to tell me that, but I can only see like my viewpoint on it, and it's it's so hard to like kind of step out, step back and really interpret and feel how they were feeling.
Speaker 5: For sure, and to recognize, like when we talk about kind of later in life or older lesbians, or being later and older in relationship having a new relationship, we're bringing everything with us, you know, decades of stuff, so that one moment and you might be thinking, how can you feel this way about that? Like that was not a big deal, and they for them without even knowing it, Well, that was every moment where somebody didn't pay attention to me, or you know, I didn't get the love that I wanted, and so it's so much more than just that moment. Often but we get so cut up in the details of the present moment and what it means for us that we don't realize that actually the person is just stuck in a feeling of pain from this situation, but really ignited a whole lot of other feelings from the past, and if we could have that kind of empathy, then we'd be able to connect so much, you know, more deeply with each other and with a lot of patience.
Speaker 1: And I think it is like complicated.
Speaker 2: Like I had a situation recently where it's like to your point, when you come up and you're now later in life, you've got all these sets of circumstances, whether it's an ex husband, children, friendships, and then you're in a relationship and maybe the person that you're in the relationship feels really wronged in some way, but it's like you're grasping for but all these other things that I have.
Speaker 7: To do are also true versus like when.
Speaker 2: You're twenty five and falling in love, there's nobody else pulling at me versus now, it's like all these things you're balancing, you can look like a real jerk even when you're just honoring this other set of things.
Speaker 5: That you have to do exactly. And then my something, my imagining is that person who kind of is looking like a jerk is feeling like, but I'm doing so much, you know all that I'm doing right, I'm here, here, and here, And that's part of the reality, and that's where we need to, you know, be open and honest with each other, but also have the space, you know, in latitude kind of in that relationship to say, Okay, so you do have your kids and your job, and you're taking care of your elderly parent and you've got to you know, manage your ex and that relationship and all the things. But I would really love more time with you, Like I'm feeling missed. I don't feel like I'm you know, the second most important thing or equal important with your kids or whatever. Like I would love to feel like I'm more important to you. And like if we can get to the need underneath some of those sort of superficial conflicts, we can resolve and realize we're actually just saying we want each other more, we want to love each other more, we want the space to be together more. It comes from a place of tenderness and love, but we don't hear it because we're stuck in the tension and the friction.
Speaker 2: And then it's like everything files into that there it goes again, like now this other thing happened at just snowballs.
Speaker 5: Yep, here's that narrative. This is it right?
Speaker 2: And I think oftentimes like if I start to feel like or if I guess too, like I'm so through all these years, becomes so I.
Speaker 7: Don't want to say prideful, but like your ego does.
Speaker 2: If you don't feel reassured, I start to just be like, oh, then I'm I'm not going to try, and then it's like a harder thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think in those cases, you know, it's like one person isn't feeling reassured and isn't feeling seen right, and isn't feeling met, But then the other person is also over there, not feeling reassured and not feeling met, and that ends up being like it's as you said, it's so complicated and nuanced because we get in these situations where both people are saying the same thing. You know, I don't feel seen, I feel dismissed. It comes down to these sort of core ideas, but it manifests as you're not doing enough for me. You're always so needy, you don't understand all that I have going on in my life. Well, why don't you pay attention to me the way you pay attention to your work. Why don't you see him trying to work so we can go on vacation you know what I mean. It's like, right both you're active, you're actually advocating for the relationship but doing it differently, But then the other person can't see that because they're stuck in their own deficit totally.
Speaker 3: Like you know, kind of what Ali was saying about, Like we just have such busier lives than we did in our twenties.
Speaker 6: So it's like dating is just so much different now.
Speaker 3: Like if I were to try to go on a date now, I'm like I can maybe plan.
Speaker 6: For it in like three weeks, you know, and it's like, you.
Speaker 3: Know that it makes me seem like I'm I'm not ready and available or whatever. But it's like, no, like I've got like all these other priorities that really matter a lot to me. And but we've also Ali and I have talked about, you know, like decentering the relationship aspect in our lives.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I think that that really helps kind of almost bring like a calmness to me to be like, you know what, that's not my priority right now, and that's okay. I want to focus on career and friendships and these Yeah, my kids are you know, flock is ticking. My son's about to graduate from fifth grade, like I.
Speaker 6: You know, all those things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think and for women, especially whether you're in a queer relationship, at our relationship, it's really shifted as we've leaned into career and we've realized that we can have a career and still mother in a badass an effective way with or without a partner in many cases. And I know there's a piece of privilege to that, right, I mean, not everybody can do that so easily, and not that even it's easy in any case, but there's this now change in the narrative for women where it's like, yeah, you can be a single and professional mom, you know, a single mom who's a professional, and you don't have to have a partner, and we don't have to be defined by our relationship anymore. So it kind of opens up possibilities for relationships not to be because there's a have to, like it may be used to be you know and are kind of for the boomers, it's like you had to have that kind of relationship want to And so I think that also it's like, look, if you don't check these boxes for me, like I don't need you, right, So anyways, I think it is really great for the individual woman to be like, Okay, I can focus on my kids, in my career and my friendships and I'm good. I'm fulfilled. On the other hand, you know, it might put this bar for the relationships like a little bit high, where now we're like, look, I do not need you in my life. I got so it puts an interesting stress on the relationship from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: I have actually even heard some of our friends verbalized.
Speaker 2: If you're not bringing X, Y and Z, I don't need you at all, because I've already I'm happy on my own and I'm thinking, like I am. I'm not lonely, and I am happy on my own, but I still do want a partner.
Speaker 1: I want to get married.
Speaker 5: I want that. Yeah. Yeah, and it brings something to our lives. Yeah, we find that, right, companion, It really does bring a lot of benefit to our lives in a fun way. I think the key is being able to kind of negotiate and or be clear about, you know, what is important to us and how do we want to set up sort of our independence self and not lose the me as we co construct the wei, Because that's a really delicate balance, especially for those of us that are also mothers, also have professional careers and want to be able to show up and be a good partner.
Speaker 2: Does blend We talk about that too. Like women, it's like if you're dating someone, they sort of automatically start to fall into your community, and then it is like you sort of do lose the me sometimes because it becomes so blurred, Whereas when you're with men, there's this natural buffer that kind.
Speaker 5: Of keeps them at bay.
Speaker 2: Like how do women like do you have recommendations for that? Like how you maintain some sovereignty?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think understanding the friendship piece. You know, it's an interesting one because again, you know, the our lovers are the same people that are friends, and so it does blur the lines and can make it difficult. And then when you find a partner, you're super excited to go out with all of your friends, a bunch of women friends like, let's this is so fun, and so you often then bring your partner along with your friendships. Right, So then the partner and which is great in the beginning, until then all of a sudden you're like, WHOA, I just want some independent time. And so I think it is really important to think about what are your individual hobbies that you like to do by yourself, Who are the people? What relationships are just yours that you get to sit and talk about your life and your partner for that matter, and know that they can hear you and still love her and still love you, but you get a little bit of that separation. I think having individual hobbies, having individual time is really important, and it preserves the relationship. It's not because the relationship is bad. It actually is going to preserve the longevity of the relationship if we keep our sense of self and then also really contribute and bring that strong self to the we to the partnership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's something like a lot of people don't really even realize that they're doing, like the enmeshment that happens so quickly and it's you know, and next thing you know, it's.
Speaker 6: A year down the line.
Speaker 3: You're like, hold on, Like I realize I haven't done anything just like myself or with my friends without you. And then it's like it feels like this dig to be like now I want.
Speaker 6: To spend time alone.
Speaker 1: You can't come.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So again, those individual relationships that you have before the relationship certainly, but you know you want to integrate, but go out every other week, or do you know, go on a hike just your friends, go on a hike with just your siblings, your family, you know, your coworkers, go to that work function that is the fun, you know, whatever it might be, do those things alone. It also then sets up the excitement to then do something together. Right, it's okay. Then we get excited to do something together, not like, oh, here we go the same old, same old. It creates that excitement to see each other again and maybe plan something unique and fun for the couple, because you know you've got these unique and fun things as an individual as well.
Speaker 2: It is that's interesting when you first get in a relationship. I see this in our friend group. It's like you want that partner. Like what I've noticed, it's almost like you need the friend group to like witness your new relationship, Like you can't wait to be out with this person, and then you're not really with your friends at all. You're just heavily focused on that person, but you're still out with the group.
Speaker 1: Like I do.
Speaker 2: Feel like there is a sense at the beginning of a relationship to like have it witnessed or like it's like you have to explode on the scene with this person.
Speaker 6: Everybody, look at how cute we are.
Speaker 7: Look how cute we are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think it's interesting. I mean I guess maybe there's a part in that in feeling a lot of pride, you know, yeah, help my hopefully healthy pride, in wanting to sort of be in a good partnership and be able to share this love, you know with everybody, like look at us, you know, or write in this relationship. I think there is obviously the shadow side of that, which is this relationship kind of more of a performative thing somehow fulfilling a part of you. You know that really the relationships to fill right.
Speaker 7: So that you haven't been seen and now you need to be seen.
Speaker 5: I'm only worthy, you know when I have a relationship where everybody else is partnered up and having kids, and I'm saying, so I want to have that partner because I feel like that will help me fit with the group, right. So interesting it could be a way that you know, we would want to be cautious about that desire to show each other off and to you know, announce the relationship to the world. If it's somehow coming from a place of your own sort of sense of lack.
Speaker 1: I think that's interesting.
Speaker 2: We we talked about a couple of weeks ago on the show about how also like women and men, like when I was married, I would not have been out like having drinks, say with my husband's friends, Like there was just this natural thing. And Melissa and I were talking about her. Melissa actually was saying how it's so normal to like go out and have drinks with women and I can be in a relationship. But then I posed to her, your ex husband's a pilot. What would you have said if you would have called you and said, I met this really cool flight attendant. We have flying in common, and I'm going to meet her for drinks when we land in Lexington.
Speaker 5: Is that cool with you?
Speaker 2: And it's like immediately, Hell, no, that's not cool with me. You're not going to go hang out with this flight attendant. But with women, it is like this accepted practice to just be friends with everyone, and it can be kind of a slippery you know, you're getting more familiar and then you're like, wow, I do kind of like this person. I feel good around this person. How do you see that, like how like relationships, women can be jealous, they can be and have affairs quite honestly, like things just develop.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 5: At the core that I think is our understanding of whether it's you know, partially true partially false of sort of sexuality and the differences in males and females in terms of how they relate to orient and think about sex. So you know, the stereotype, whether it's stereotyped or not, or true or not, is that men, you know, they're always thinking about sex and that they want to kind of connect with a woman. It's likely sexual in nature that it's very difficult, and you have men say this, right, some men will say, yeah, we're not friends with women. I mean you know what I mean, Like maybe that one you know, sister's friend from years and years ago, but typically like and we don't want to be friends with a woman. If we're hanging out with a woman, it's for one thing. So that excuse it if that's the true. Right, We've got this kind of picture in the mind that for men, they're always thinking about sex. We don't totally think that about women. Now true for those of us that remember the ogl word like Shane change that, I mean, right, So, yeah, Shane was like sex, sex, sex and more sex, you know, and even to the point of others like she was that kind of archetype of kind of embodying sort of this masculine way of just sleeping around all over. But we associate that with men. We don't associate that with women. I think part of that is maybe gender norms in the beginning, and as women have become more free sexually and marriages kind of shifted the concepts of marriage, maybe we're like, yeah, look, we like sex just the same, you know, and we certainly could have affairs, and we certainly could be attracted to it, especially if it were lesbians, we would be attracted to another woman. So I think the underlying gender piece and stereotypes is that play there, and we do need to think about, Yeah, is it cool for you know, you to go out on you doing a podcast on the road somewhere and you meet somebody who's cool and you want to go have a drink. You don't know what her intentions are, but you're married, you know, Like, is that okay?
Speaker 2: Is it like, let's say you're married and you're out on the road for a tour for your show. Would you go have drink in another city with someone that you had something in common with so thin I don't know if you're married or not, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would be very attuned to the intuition. I mean, right, So, if it was a business relationship, if you know, if it was you gals and it's like, yeah, let's talk about what we could do together with this podcast, maybe a series or maybe this and I'd love to have you on and we want to write something like then yeah, then I'm thinking this is you know, something that could be really great. Or we work together in the past and we know the relationship. It's it's very kind of, you know, platonic. And if I trust myself there, then yeah, I totally would. I would totally go have drinks with either of you two, right, Yeah. I think if I have the sense of either myself or the other person, especially the other person, because my hope was that myself, I'm going to be sort of loyal and committed, which I would be. But if I get a sense that there's anything unclean with the other then I think that's on me to say, you know what, no, thank you, I'm going to actually head back to my room and just have got an early flight in the morning, because again, with our intuition, we can tell if there's a little bit of a spark for a little bit of energy, we know if we're walking into a dangerous situation. Yeah, So why do that? I mean, why do that to yourself? Why do that to you know what I mean? Why brit yourself in a situation where your guts like, ooh this, you know, I know that they're not just wanting to talk about business or this isn't just a friendly Hey, we have a lot in common, and I think that's dangerous. I'm just going to say no to that.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a really put into words what I was trying to say a couple of weeks ago when we talked about this conversation is that I trust myself.
Speaker 6: I know what my intentions are.
Speaker 3: And then on top of that, I'm like, well, I am like looking for opportunities, you know, and this conversation might really advance what I'm working on and we can work together on this.
Speaker 6: You know, I know what my objective is.
Speaker 3: So but I think a lot of it also takes that conversation with the person that you're in a relationship with of saying that you know, like this is where the stems from, this is why I want to do this, and if something does go awry, I'm going to shut it down.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and recognize. I mean, this is where I think I got a little little pushback when I talked about kind of acknowledging somebody's insecurity. Is that if you know, you have a partner who maybe was cheated on in the past or or was with men in the past, and that's their understanding of their partner, is that they're always looking for sex with whoever is you know, walking and near them, then I think we need to be sensitive and attentive to that and be extra clear with our partner to say, like you said, Melissa, this is just a business meeting, or hey, I'm going to go I'm gonna I'll text you you know the men that I'm done and maybe we can jump on a FaceTime when I'm back in my room, just for them to get that sense of security, because you know, we could resist and say, well they need to just trust me. Well, sure they do. But if you're new in the relationship, if there's been any kind of you know, questionable behavior in the past, if they've got trust issues, like why not just say, hey, I'm doing this. It's a really great person. I think you're gonna really like her. I hope you meet her one day. I'll text you or I want to get back to my room and make sure that she's okay with it and comfortable too. I don't think that is giving too much. And oh that you know, you need to be strong and do what you want to do, like okay, and then you can be single.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, honor our partners in securities while we're building trust, while we're nurturing, you know, the strength of the relationship, and even fifteen years in you might you know, there might be something where it's just, yeah, this one person makes me a little insecure. And what they're saying is I love you. I don't want to lose you. Yeah, that's what they're saying, not I want to control you when you don't get to have any fun. You know, we interpret the message to me and it's, oh, they're trying to control me. I'm gonna do it. I want to do. Yeah, go do what you want to do, but honor the person that's supposed to be like you know, your your other half, the person you love the most, and help them feel comfortable in that situation as well.
Speaker 2: I think back too, is like when people are first coming out. I remember my first long term lesbian relationship.
Speaker 1: We at the very beginning.
Speaker 2: I was everything was new, I was insecure, I was I blown up my life, I'm scared to death, I'm doing everything for the first time. And I remember feeling insecure and I remember my partner like saying to her friends kind of like I need to meet Ali where Ali is right now. This is where she is. And I appreciated that so much. It just like, you know, she was like that looks like she's controlling me.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 2: I'm meeting her at this insecure phase and it was great, And I remember that like freed me up to not feel insecure exactly.
Speaker 3: It is really interesting too, like kind of circling back to like men being seen as these like super like sexually charged creatures. And one of the things that I've really realized through having this podcast and like the men that we've heard from, is that there are a lot of men out there that are not that's not their objective, Like they love being married, they love being in a relationship and they're not looking to go run around in these streets, you.
Speaker 6: Know, So it is kind of like, I guess one of those just troops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And I think, you know, I think it depends. I mean again, we're talking really kind of binary stereotypes in terms of somebody might then say, okay, but then what is that married, happily married man need to do having drinks with the woman, Like what are they having in common with? Now? You know, again, I'm a lesbian, so there's no threat if I go hang out with him man. But sports is my world. So one of the things that I was able to do early on kind of in my you know, business setting and with with men is talk sports, Like I would know who the quarterback was just drafted, and what's happening in you know, the NBA, all these things, and it was a source of connection and then it was fun and we could go down and have a drink and let's talk about, you know, the most recent sport thing. But I think part of it is is there that natural connection, you know, and maybe the somebody's wife would be like, well, what are you connecting with her for? Right? Like what do you have in common with her? What is it that you go have drinks with the guys? Why do you have drinks with this woman? So again, it's that heterosexual dynamic that has so many layers to it around power, around stereotypes, around what we have access to and how we get to show up, but what's supposed to be important to us, and it really does create kind of create that divide.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I want to touch on is the feeling of like when you first get into our relationship, you're in that kind of limerence, excited phase. But then many times we see people have a stage of like you dive in and then all of a sudden you become shockingly avoidant, almost like a flip switches where you're like your body almost says like, oh my god, this was so fast, and now this person is like counting on me to text them every morning.
Speaker 1: And do you see that a lot?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's definitely a very intense honeymoon phase, you know, that Limerens phase. And part of it, I think is that for some people still, for some couples still they can't be out, you know, and so they can't be out and about so they do then build their relationship kind of in the privacy of their own home where their friends home, right, and so there does create almost like this a little bit of like an insulated you know, incubator to nurture the relationship just in this small space, as opposed to being able to take it more casually and go out here and go out there and hold hands and kissing and evinly, you know a little bit passionately in public in the park where not everybody's comfortable doing that. So I think we then have this like really intimate container or that intimacy grows really fast, and you know, the it is amazing to fall in love. That initial passion and excitement is like one of those sort of unique amazing feelings, and so it can be very absorbing. But then life settles. And when we talk about being in you know, your forties or early fifties, like then your life is full, like we've said, so it's not like you're twenty two and like, oh I got to go back and maybe study for grad school or to my job. I got no kids, you know, so this is like, oh my gosh, now life pulls me back and all of a sudden, I've got this intensity here for this relationship that maybe started off good, but now I'm like, yeah, cause I've got to go back and put my attention here, and I want to I've got good things over here, and so now you have to kind of split and pull, and the other person may be like, well, where'd you go? Yeah, yeah, because they may not be in the same place, or the two of you go opposite and go back to life, and then there's fear like, oh, wait a minute, do we lose the connection? What happened here? And I think it's really reflective of the pace with which we move. Moves so fast, so.
Speaker 1: It kind of reminds me of the long distance thing.
Speaker 2: Like we were hearing, like we had a matchmaker on who talked about how like long distance for lesbians is so common because maybe there's less, you know, options, and so you end up dating someone long distance.
Speaker 1: Do you see that in your practice a bit with gay women.
Speaker 5: I see a lot of long distance relationships because they're hard, you know, they're really really hard, and so how do we negotiate kind of the boundaries of that and find, you know, kind of ways to define the relationship in positive and connected ways. I think there's also kind of a benefit, you know, in that it makes you go slower, you know, and it makes you can really nurture connection and get to know each other and keep your own life because there's no option to move in after one week. There's no option to spend you know, all but one night in her place for a month because you don't live there. Right. So I think there's some benefits to it, but distance relationships are tough because there is that kind of physical connection that brings so much to our nervous system and right that practical part. So I think it can be nice because of the pacing, but it can definitely present its challenges. But I think I know the woman that you're talking about, who's the matchmaker. Yeah, I think I saw that episode, which was a great one, and it's true that many people feel like they don't have options in their town or in their city. Yeah, so they want to look elsewhere. They meet somebody and then it's like, okay, now what do we do?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it is hard and I've seen friends do it.
Speaker 2: But I think in the like, I don't know, like if you could create a situation that it could like if you had an established we're going to see each other this predictable number of times, and we're you can get facetiming. I don't know, like it feels like if you met someone like you. There are ways to do it, but I can see where there would be more challenges. But also it does free you up in some ways because you can keep up your community, yeah, pretty easily.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think it really depends. You know, again, when we're talking about at the beginning about how you to just define the relationship, is being clear about what do you want in a relationship, you know, if if you also have kids in a career, like maybe you don't want or need somebody to be or you know, end all be all, every day everything, but you do want somebody to be your travel companion and to talk about things that you know a couple of times a week or at the end of each day, and and you do love the physical intimacy and you want to be able to you know, kind of think about growing old together.
Speaker 1: When yeah, dream building.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the building, but it doesn't have to be right here, right now, everything all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's one of the harder things about long distance If you can't resolve it, and it's kind of like you have to kind of pick a path.
Speaker 6: It's like, either this is going to just be it is what it is.
Speaker 3: We're going to travel and see each other when we can, or one of us is moving and we're going to build a life.
Speaker 6: But I know that I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's difficult when you're later in life and you're so established.
Speaker 6: And you're and rooted and you can move like to move. It's just crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think, you know, it begs the question of what does it mean to build a life with someone and do you have to be living together in the same house all the time to build a life with somebody? You know, I know several you know, can people that are either musicians or artists or even you know, residents fellows that spend four months of the year at a university or four months of the year on set, or they're on tour for music and they're gone a lot yea, And so you would think they don't necessarily live to there, but then they do. They find ways for the one partner to meet them on tour if they're at a closed city, or they spend a month together in the summertime. So I think really the question for all of us is what kind of life do we want to build and what kind of partner do we want to build that with? And where is there the non negotiables, you know, and where is there some flexibility to say, oh, yeah, I could actually get all that I need with the distance relationship. And maybe when we do get closer to retirement, we can't think about living either together or we you know, six months six months, you know, because our kids are grown, we're doing our own thing. Work has slowed down, we work remote. So it's really this idea of what is build a like life look like for you?
Speaker 2: And I think that's ever changing, right, like as your kids get bigger, it's shifting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, what is your feeling on?
Speaker 2: Sometimes Melissa and I talk about like people don't casually date in the lesbian community. It's like when you're with men, you at least I did, Like in college and after college, I dated guys like I might have a date one weekend and a different person I saw two weeks later.
Speaker 1: I never see that.
Speaker 2: Like I was trying to brainstorm one friend that casually dates.
Speaker 5: I can't think of one. It's what your thought on that. I mean, I do have a few clients who you know, casually date and are you know, trying to working to try to find kind of that person that they want to you know, maybe make it not casual. But I think part of it is that there's a lot of there's a lot of what I hear from my friends and you know, it's like, oh, well, I can't you know, I'm not going to be physical with anybody until I have that deep emotional connection, you know. So I'm going to give a chance. I'm going to date, and I'm going to kind of see it through with you and kind of give you my attention, see how we go, and then I'm not gonna, you know, maybe have sex with you until I feel an emotional connection. But then I need to give you time to have an emotional connection. So I'm going to stay focused on you and then decide if it does or doesn't work. I think there's also something interesting again we get to the gender piece about this sort of inner narrative or perception that if a woman is casually dating and or having sex with multiple partners, somehow that's undesirable for a woman, Like that's bad behavior. Yeah, you should be having sex with a bunch of people at the same time. And now I think again, we've changed our concept of how quickly we have sex after we date, and so that could create a whole bunch of complexities for somebody who has a narrative like, no, you kind of I'm monogamous, so I, you know, have sleep with one person, but then I'm dating. I'm not in a monogous from this relationship. So how do I reconcile my feeling of I'm a monogamous person, but yet I'm not in a monogamous relationship. So I make monogamous dating, you know, my manifestation of that. And so I'll see it through with one person and one person one person. But then the hard part is we see it through with one person intense love six months whatever time, and then, like you said, you wake up. However many months later, are you like, oh darn.
Speaker 1: Yes, this isn't the one.
Speaker 7: Now I've invested six months back to round zero.
Speaker 5: I have to stop over, you know, And so how do I do that?
Speaker 3: Talk a little bit too about that therapies language that we have and how that is kind of like getting in people's heads when they're dating and you know, kind of labeling people a narcissists right out the gate, you know, because they did one little thing that And I mean we've talked about this a lot on the pod about I mean, everybody has narcissistic tendencies and traits sometimes sometimes, you know, and kind of getting out of your head in that respect, when you're outdated being and not just writing everybody off because of one wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think that. Then to back up really quickly about the dating and monogamy, I think it's really important for us to be aware of how we're making sense of things in our own minds, right, and we don't stop. And that's often what I help people do is I'll say, okay, so what does this mean for you? Like if you have two partners, If you're dat I'm dating two people which I do share, break it off with one, Well, what does it mean to you if you continue to date both you don't know yet which one you like? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 7: Oh, well, it means I'm you know, I'm hiding, I'm being untrue to one.
Speaker 5: It's like, but they both know your data, you know, so unpacking Like what that inner narrative is for you and what it means for you is really important to then maybe untangle from some of the restrictive stories or even unconscious rules that you have for yourself, because I think we find that we have all these unspoken rules for ourselves that we don't even know we have. And sometimes those rules are helpful, sometimes those rules are restrictive, and so being aware of those and you know, this therapy we speak starts to kind of play into that because we're so quick to say, you know, oh, somebody that's a little selfish or chooses themselves as a narcissist. You know, somebody that needs me, you know, is codependent. Somebody that you know is trying to tell me what they think I was thinking, is gaslighting me. And all these things are true phenomena, and I don't want to downplay any of those. But it is okay to sometimes be selfish, and we're gonna be it, can you We can make a mistake and be a selfish. Yeah, doesn't mean we're a diagnosed narcissist. You know, everybody is a narcissist. Your ex is probably not. You know, we can need people and be fulfilled and have our nervous system regulated by somebody else, and that's okay, you're not a codependent, you know, that's okay, that's healthy interdependence. And then you can, you know, maybe say like, well wait a minute, but you this and you're like, don't gaslight me. Okay, I'm not trying to gaslight you. I really feel like, so there's no space for dialogue when we latch onto these like diagnoses, and so we've got to be willing to notice, Okay, what am I you know, making sense of? How am I making sense of this situation? Am I kind of being driven by something that may not be totally true? We come back to like our cognitive distortions. You know, is my knee jerk reaction when they're selfish that they're a narcissist? You know? Is my knee jerk reaction when they kind of need me or I find that it's codependence? Is that my knee jerk reaction when we disagree that it's gaslighting? Because if so, what is that about? Where is that coming from? And how can I create more space to be curious about the situation and hold the discomfort that I'm feeling? Right, we feel discomfort? We want to label it? Makes sense of it and chalk it up and throw it on the other person, as opposed to staying with that discomfort and say, what is this meaning for me? And why am I reacting so strongly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like get curious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get curious. And it doesn't mean you don't have boundaries. It doesn't mean you let people. I mean, it doesn't mean any of that. Yes to boundaries, Yes to advocating for yourself, Yes to you know, healthy manifestations of all the things. But it's being curious and cautious about our tendency to just get a little uncomfortable and then write something off and kick it projected onto the other person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just throw somebody away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's offloading our own discomfort onto them. But it's not solving anything, you know, it's not solving anything. We're going to hit the same thing in the next relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's true.
Speaker 2: Like we see that a lot in our community, where people just write something happens and it's like they're dead to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just because you have to your point, you do something selfish doesn't make you a selfish person.
Speaker 1: It's like, my.
Speaker 2: Kids do things all the time that I'm like it doesn't make them bad.
Speaker 1: They just had a bad behavior.
Speaker 6: Narcisses running around exactly.
Speaker 5: And it's like there's no room to be human. Yeah, it's like even I think with social media, like everything is curated and filtered and perfect, you know, and it's like and even the extremes then when you see this extreme vulnerability. So I'm was like, oh, that's performative. You know, they're just doing that for views as and so there's no room to be flawed or to have a bad day or to make a mistake and know that you have the container of our relationship is big enough to hold all of me, I mean the great parts of me, and there's not so great parts that are going to show up. Can this relationship hold that? Can we as a couple make the space for both of us to do that and figure out how we can make repair and apologize when it happens, but we're not cast off when when we show up somehow flawed.
Speaker 1: Boy, this is really hitting close to home right now, Lourie.
Speaker 2: I think I think we all that bears repeating, like I do feel that like that cast off like is so painful because it's like there's so much there's a body of work and one thing happens and it's just like I don't know, like I've had that happen and it's very very It rattles your nervous system yep.
Speaker 5: It just and it makes when we talk about like trust and intuition, it just makes you feel like you can't trust the container of the relationship.
Speaker 1: You can't trust it.
Speaker 2: And then you can't speak up because you're too scared of the thing happening.
Speaker 5: Right, So instead you kind of appease you people please, you know, you just or you just slowly quiet yourself, or you learn how to, you know, put on a happy face when you're not feeling happy because you don't feel like there's the capacity to hold the pain that you might feel or the bad emotions that you might feel, or if you're drowning. It's like, can I be drowning and still be okay in the space?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Can I be sad? Can I be frustrated? Can I be angry? And how can we find a place in the relationship where we can make space for the healthy expression of those negative emotions as opposed to negativity comes at not doing it?
Speaker 7: Not doing it, because then we're just false harmony, false harmony, it's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think another thing too, is like sometimes the ebbs and flows of the relationship. You know, sometimes you are in a sad place or an avoidant place, and I think it's expected that those kind of things are going to be done with in a day or two, but it could be something that's going on for a much longer time and it gets really difficult to sit in that space for the other person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I do think it's true. Then the flip side is for that other person to say, Okay, I want to hold all that you have, but oh my gosh, it's been a downer for weeks. And that's where hopefully, if it is that case, the person's getting the support they need. The couple's getting the support they need. They find ways to have little things to look forward to together, They find those moments of joy, they find the moments of connection. You know, that healthy relationship would be able to have conversations about those moments and the dynamics that are happening and say, okay, so well, what do you need? Thank you so much for supporting me through this. I know I've been kind of lost in my own What do you need? Can I just I want to show up for you, you know, for just a day, and for us to find that in ourselves when we are drowning, Can we still find the ability to show up for the other and to own Hey, I've been I've been down. Like you know, this has been a tough couple of weeks. I'm thank you so much for being by my side. I want what can we do, like, let's do something fun together? And I think that ownership of that and then the willingness to connect and recognize, like, thank you for being there. I want to now be there for you, even if it's just for this afternoon, goes a long way to kind of create that connection and that strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, and it just lets them know I'm aware. I'm not sitting here thinking I'm great. I know I'm not right now, I'm stressed. I've got these things happening.
Speaker 1: So I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, Doctor Lourie, thank you so much for coming back on Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 5: It's so fun. I love this. I love these conversations.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Remind us where people can find more about.
Speaker 5: You Instagram and TikTok. I'm on on that. My website is just lorisulpizio dot com. So that's got some of my kind of business yework stuff as well. I'm on LinkedIn as well, kind of with more kind of professional business like leadershipy stuff. But yeah, that's probably the best way, and we'd love to connect and always love trying. I try to respond to comments when you know, if there's questions or whatever, it's it's it's difficult, but I try to work through and make sure that because so many people are offering really great kind of conversation and I'm just loving being a part of the community, like this lesbian dialogue around these topics, and I didn't find like there was a lot for me when I was like back to my day, I didn't opportunity, you know, to kind of engage in these kind of conversations in a public way. And so I'm loving it, Like I'm loving the comments and the conversation is so fun.
Speaker 1: Your content is like perfection.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: And it's also like right on time.
Speaker 2: And you know how Instagram shows you who else likes like the same thing. I always noticed that, like, well, I like all your stuff, but I noticed that every like a lot of my our crew also does so that's so fun. Yeah, I love your content. Everybody should follow Laurie Silpazio. It's great relationship stuff.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it so much. Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: I have a.
Speaker 1: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 3: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A L. L I at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles