Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast contains content and material intended for a mature audience listener discretion.
Speaker 2: You ready for this?
Speaker 1: Ready for what?
Speaker 2: I'm about to crack open a drink?
Speaker 1: Crack it?
Speaker 2: You want to see if we can hear it on the podcast? Ready?
Speaker 1: Yep? That was very anti climax.
Speaker 2: I'm actually really bad at opening cans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are why.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's like hard?
Speaker 1: What about it is hard? Like what's difficult?
Speaker 2: You're getting my finger under the underneath the tab? Is that? Yeah? The tab? I'm like, what is that even called?
Speaker 1: It's a tab?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I need it. I need a drink. It's been a day.
Speaker 1: It's been a day. It's been a day kind of day.
Speaker 2: Like busy af like being an adult, shit kind of day.
Speaker 1: Well, then, yeah, a drink is good. I'm drinking water, so you're being responsible. Well, it's not that I'm being responsible. Is if I have a whiskey or beer sitting here, I can't drink it whenever I'm presenting a case because I'm always talking, I know, and when I'm like trying to drink and talk the same. It's just disaster. So I've got water that I can sip on whenever I get caught in milk and hit my mic with it.
Speaker 2: No winning here, no winning at.
Speaker 1: All, no note at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I hope everyone else has grabbed their drinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, sit back, chill this, have a drink, have a good time, listen to some some horror stories of gruesome death.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is people, some shit. Listen to some shit in a good way.
Speaker 1: That's quite the vibe. Drinks and shitty situations and murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah people. Actually, we get messages often though, where people are like say that listening to us is just like chilling with friends and having a bruski or whatever.
Speaker 1: This is really cool.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's a good vibe. I really like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so come have a drink with us. Friends. We're like, I know, we're like mister dress Up or like mister Rogers, but the alcoholic versions with murder and.
Speaker 2: A bit more exciting.
Speaker 1: I feel like they're pretty exciting. What are you talking about? Mister dress Up had his tickle trunk. That's exciting. Okay, it's been a while, mister Tree.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't remember stuff like no as well as you do.
Speaker 1: Get Chester. The crow Chester was a cool dude.
Speaker 2: I feel like I remember liking mister dress Up though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, anyway, good times, good times.
Speaker 2: Anyway, move on, let's move.
Speaker 1: On, let's put to what the move on? Should we get right into the case or are we going to talk about anything else?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have absolutely no idea anything about what's going on today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah you don't, because I didn't tell.
Speaker 2: You a shit. You told me Jack All.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone else is gonna know if they checked out Instagram, because as soon as we drop an episode, we always dropped the little info thing on Instagram with a photo and everything. This is being recorded before that, and the only thing you know is the image I dropped the other day, which was like what yesterday?
Speaker 2: Or I know what everyone else now? So thank you?
Speaker 1: Well, no, because right now they're listening, and they know more. You're actually listening. Prior to them listening, you know less.
Speaker 2: So I got a whole whatever amount of hours before pretty.
Speaker 1: Much because we're recording this like the day before we go.
Speaker 2: Oh man, okay, yeah, we we tend to be okay sometimes, but like life's just a little busy right now.
Speaker 1: So we are recording this. It's supposed to be posted in what three hours?
Speaker 2: Three hours?
Speaker 1: Three hours before its supposed to be posted. You know nothing of the case. You're starting like literally knowing that a girl wants to go back to land and that's all you've got.
Speaker 2: But I was just gonna say, we're still getting it done.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we are.
Speaker 2: We're getting it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not holding this off. We're we go pushing it off a day, although there might come a time because we're pushing it off later later.
Speaker 2: I know I said that earlier. I was like, uh, cauld it get much later.
Speaker 1: Than this, But we're getting it done.
Speaker 2: Last week I was actually real good. Yeah, I was like ready ahead of time for like the first time in my life.
Speaker 1: This is I've pushed this like really later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you made the record now, so we'll see if either one of us can.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna break the record next episode. I'm talking like uploading at midnight, not scheduling that upload, just.
Speaker 2: Just hitting upload. Yeah, okay, let's not do that. No you don't think so anyway, I'm ready. I'm ready to sit my drink.
Speaker 1: And be entertained here, so you're going to be entertained.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk a story that's entertaining to us, but definitely not entertaining to Terry Joe dup Alt.
Speaker 2: Who is are?
Speaker 1: I don't want to say star, but she's definitely who we're gonna talk about and her point of view? Okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 2: I am ready.
Speaker 1: So it was nineteen sixty one and a gentleman by the name of This is a Greek name, so I'm gonna try and say it properly, but I'm gonna butcher. So it's Nicholas spatcha Dacus. I think is how you say his last name, Nicholas Spockadacas, Nicholas. It was Nicholas.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So in nineteen sixty one, Nicholas was a second officer of the Greek freighter Captain theo He had been scanning the waters of the Northwest Province Channel, a strait of water through the islands of the Bahamas, when something caught his eye. Between thousands of tiny flashes of white caps out in the ocean, there was one speck that wasn't flashing like the rest. Now white cap just so everyone I'm gonna give you a recap on a white cap, and I'm gonna drop some bars at the same time, because I rhyme every time. I'm a polletent. I didn't know it. Okay, I'm going to stop that now. So a white cap is the tip of a wave. It's the turbulent water that turns white as it crashes, and then it settles quickly back into the water as it flows into a continual wave and goes again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very calming effect, very much so, except that white cap is the non calming effect. It's the turbulent part of the calm.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So this white speck wasn't doing that. It was steady, it was not settling back into the ocean. It was just there. Okay, So what is it among hundreds of other boats in this channel? Nicholas focused in on this single dot and realized it was too large to be a piece of debris and too small to be another boat.
Speaker 2: So is it a body?
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna find out, aren't you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to just tell me right away. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So he alerted the CA and they decided they put the freighter on a course towards the speck. As they grew closer, they were shocked to discover a little blonde hair girl floating by herself in a small, inflatable life boat.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, yeah, I actually like alive.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get there.
Speaker 2: I didn't expect that, okay. In the little boat.
Speaker 1: One of the crew members took a picture of her sitting, so, yes, she's alive.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: I thought I might have had it a little farther down those building suspense, But no, she's alive. One of the crew members took a picture of her sitting on the side of the life raft. And life raft was about two and a half feet by five feet long, so it's pretty small, and she's looking up the vessel, up to the vessel that just saved her life. This image is like, is a major iconic image now. It's made headlines worldwide when this first occurred, including a front page on Life magazine.
Speaker 2: Are you going to share the image?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, that's what's going on.
Speaker 2: It's sweet, okay, I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: So the captain quickly called out orders to stop the engines, you know, and put a small raft board to rescue the little girl. And the men quickly lashed together some empty oil drums together as a raft because their lifeboats were too large, right, Like, if they were to get overboard, it was just gonna be too clumsy, you take too long, you know that sort of thing. So quickly lash some oil bills barrels together. There we go. Okay, So I got to her quickly. And it's not known exactly why I couldn't find any facts on this, but the captain shouted for them to hurry at one point, and it's believed because he saw sharks in the water. Ah believed I couldn't find facts.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying. Yeah, that's why I'm like, actually a little sketch showed by the ocean.
Speaker 1: But keep going, Well, there's there's some crazy shit.
Speaker 2: There's a lot in there.
Speaker 1: And so like if it was sharks, like I mean, could be attracted by the commotion her legs in the water maybe, And she was in pretty rough shape, like her skin was obviously raw from the sunburn and the salt water, and there's a real possibility of her blood being in the water and attracting sharks. So it's not like this is like, oh my god, sharks, it's like, no, this is like a potential of a real possibility, right, Yeah, So a crew member quickly made the oil barrel raft over to her and lifted the girl aboard. She fell limp onto the deck of the vessel immediately. Her lips were puffy, skin was sunburnt and raw. Like I said, she was severely dehydrated, had sunken in cheeks, and bleached hair almost white by the tropical sun. Wow, she was in shape.
Speaker 2: Did you see how old she is?
Speaker 1: I don't think I did yet. She's about eleven years old.
Speaker 2: Oh my poor thing. Yeah, that's terrifying. I don't know what happened here.
Speaker 1: Well, we're getting into it, so just just settle down a bit. We got this. We just go with the flow. Drink, drink exactly. So crew member tried to help her stand, but her legs buckled. The captain tried to get her to talk, but she was unresponsive, and kept coaxing her, trying to get information from her, and eventually he did get some information from her. He was asking about family, and she gave a thumbs down, and then she uttered her name, Terry Joe Duperoult and the words Bluebell. And they quickly found out. That was the name of the vessel that she was aboard. Okay, so yeah, she's been out there for a while. She's in rough shape. The immediately evaker by air. Yeah to land, right, So she was quickly evacuated to the hospital. Hold on, I lost my spot here, dude, that's making it worse. Okay, So she was quickly evacuated by air to hospital. And even though all we know is that she's a girl lost at sea, the Coastguard had already found another person three days earlier who was at sea, a forty four year old man by the name of Julian Harvey. He was rescued in a life raft alongside the body of seven year old Renee, was the little sister of Terry. He was also aboard the same vessel.
Speaker 2: What that deck is going on here?
Speaker 1: Hey, okay again, calm down, we're going to get into it.
Speaker 2: What the.
Speaker 1: He told investigators that a small sudden storm brought down the Bluebell's masts and the Blue Bell the boat was about a sixty foot two masked sailboat. So he said that it brought down the masts and it ruptured the hull and the gas tanks began to leak and started a fire. Most of the crew on board, being Terry's family, were trapped inside the cabin underneath the masts colloused, so he said, the boat went down and sank. Everyone on board was lost at sea except for him, and he made his escape. As he was making his escape, he found Renee floating in the water and tried to revive her, but was unsuccessful, and an autopsy later showed that Renee did in fact die of drowning. Okay, so he was I'm not too sure how to say this without telling too much yet, but he was discussing his story with coastguards and everything like that, and literally like right at the end of this, like it's very like cinematic, like that dramatic moment where like the loose ends are all wrapping up sort of thing, and someone bursts in the door, almost like at a wedding, like does anyone object to this? Then someone comes in I object like that sort of thing. Like right at the end of him like talking with these these people, someone bursts into the conference room that they're in and was like, we found another survivor. Terry's alive.
Speaker 2: So okay, so he didn't even.
Speaker 1: Know he didn't far as he knew, he was the only.
Speaker 2: Survivor, and then Terry's sister, but she had died.
Speaker 1: She had drowned, so he'd stammered like, oh my god. When he heard the news, he exclaimed like that's that's one wonderfult, like this is wonderful news. This little girl just survived, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, the next day, Julian Harvey was found in his hotel room dead. He had committed suicide by cutting his thighs, ankles, and throat with the razor.
Speaker 2: Oh oh gross. That gave me instant shivers.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, over the course of the next eleven days, Terry Joe made a full recovery in hospital. Huh, so, what do you think is going down? I'm going to kind of stop there and see if you've got any speculations going on.
Speaker 2: Well, because I never catch on though, Like there'sn't even like big hints you've given and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Not at a Oh so you've caught on that they're big hints, then yeah.
Speaker 2: Well not until after the real thing comes out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you were saying you already heard big hints in the story.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like I have absolutely no idea. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Well, what exactly happened on board the Bluebell, like, we don't exactly know, but through Harry's accounts and the work of investigators, we do have a story put together on what is believed to have happened. And it's it's, as far as we can say, pretty accurate because Terry was there, but she didn't waitness everything, right, So okay, so Terry's this goes back a little bit here. Terry's father, Arthur Dupraldt, always dreamed of taking his family out on the open sea for an adventure. He was an optometrist and spent several years saving up his hard earned income to take his family out on sea to explore exotic islands. By nineteen sixty one, he saved up enough to take his family out on the vacation they deserved. Nice, right, we all dream of that, Yeah, get away from the nine to five.
Speaker 2: The hawsome bustle.
Speaker 1: Right. So the family was originally from Green Bay, Wisconsin, which which certainly isn't like a warm, exotic place by any means.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I think that seventies show they're out in Wisconsin. Oh, okay, okay, and they're always like bundled up and stuff, right, I like how flannels wearing flannels lots. I like how that's my reference for that geography, that genotical area.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like literally, like like every other family out there, they're like, yeah, we want to go travel somewhere exotic, get away, somewhere warm, relax, have an adventure.
Speaker 2: Right, that sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: I want to do that. Can we do that?
Speaker 2: I would do anything to do that right now.
Speaker 1: So the rest of the fen well, I mean, COVID is going to hold us back for a while.
Speaker 2: But exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So the rest of the family was made up of Terry's mother, Jean Duperoult, her brother Brian, who was fourteen years old, and her sister Renee, who was seven years old. Their destination was the Bahamas. They wanted to reach. Well, I just like brain farted in that sentence. They wanted they wanted to reach the islands of the Bahamas in a nice ship. So they want to sail that whole way. Awesome, I love that, right, It's got like just like Pirates of the Caribbean, just like an epic adventure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they made their way from Green Bay, Wisconsin to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where they met up with Julian Harvey, who was an old friend of Arthur, and his wife Denay, who joined them for the cruise. She was going to be like the cook and everything, and Julian Harvey was going to be the skipper of the vessel skippers an informal term for captain. Okay, I didn't know that. I had to google that.
Speaker 2: I had no idea either. You're not alone, so.
Speaker 1: We know now. So he was going to skipper the vessel on that vessel that they rented was the Blue Belt, Okay, So he would sail the ship, and he had many years of experienced sailing. Julian was a World War Two veteran who seemed trustworthy in his history and everything, and he was very well versed at sea. So it was some like the perfect person to turn to. So on November eighth, nineteen sixty one, they set sail for the Bahamas from Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 2: I have a question, sorry, hit me up. Is this is the Friends of the Father? Sorry? I think I might have missed that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not like they know each other really well, but it's like, hey, I know.
Speaker 2: This guy, and he had needs for a cook and a captain and worked out.
Speaker 1: Okay, He's like, we need someone to be to take us there in a ship. We don't know how to sail. And he's like, oh, great, I can do that, you know. And my wife, you know, she can cook. So you guys can have your little adventure and great holiday.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's probably not what they should have done, but there you go.
Speaker 1: Well we're about to find out because during the voyage on the evening of November twelfth, Denay Julian's wife was preparing dinner chicken catchatory in fact, which was the last meal ever served on the Blue Belt.
Speaker 2: Oh Boy.
Speaker 1: Around nine pm, Terry Joe headed below deck to her sleeping quarters, which was a small little cabin located at the back of the boat, and ordinarily her sister, Renee would sleep there with her in the bunk, but that night, her younger sister remained with her parents and brother on deck in the cockpit. Okay, I couldn't find out why, but that's that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So in the middle of the night, Terry Joe was startled awake by her brother yelling help, daddy help.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, this is where shiit, this is where it goes. Oh no, you don't want to hear that. Eh See, that's terrifying. You don't want to being stuck in the middle of the ocean and needing help.
Speaker 1: There's nowhere to run. Yeah, it's you can't run. There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 2: See, so many people have vacation on like cruise ships, like and I'm talking like pre COVID and stuff. But I don't actually think that even interests me remotely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not so much for me. But then again, where like we go out camping in the middle of like northern well not northern Canadian but like central northern Canadian forests where there's bears roaming around.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would choose that any day.
Speaker 1: But if you if something goes wrong, just say, for the same sake, say there's some that's true mass incident that happens or occurs of stuff too. Yeah, what are you gonna do? Run into the trees.
Speaker 2: Well, into your trailer or your vehicle. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's not much different than staying aboard the boat.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyways, So she heard those screams and She also briefly heard running in stamping noises and then silence.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 1: She laid in her bed terrified, and after about five minutes she quietly made her way out of the cabin.
Speaker 2: Good for her to get up and go check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just so you guys know, because we don't do this every episode, but whenever I can, I try and name a bad ass of the day. Terry Joe is she's bad ass of the day here.
Speaker 2: Well, being that little and actually getting out of bed. That's impressible alone.
Speaker 1: She goes through a lot. So when she exited her cabin, she saw her mother and brother lying in a pool of blood in the main cabin next to hers, and instantly she knew they were dead.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: She kept going though slowly. Terry Joe climbed the stairs and peeked out of the hatch. She saw more blood, and as she climbed her way out of the stairs onto the deck, she was met with Captain Julian Harvey, who shoved her back down the stairs and shouted, get back down there.
Speaker 4: Oh, freg So, I think you can kind of see where this is going a little bit, but trust me, you still don't know what actually happens.
Speaker 2: Sounds like hell on earth.
Speaker 1: He let's see. Oh, oh, maybe we should name that episode this hell. Let see hell, let's see. I don't know, I don't that might get flagged. I don't know, we'll see. I still, I don't even know if I've thought about a title for this episode yet. We'll figure that out. We let's keep going with the story now, okay. Not knowing what else to do, tearry Joe avoided looking at her mum and brother as she walked past and crawled back into her bunk in her cabin alone. Good lord, She wasn't there long before she heard the sound of water sloshing around, and her cabin slowly began to fill up with said water.
Speaker 2: The frig again.
Speaker 1: Realized the ship was sinking, but she was too afraid. She didn't move.
Speaker 3: Because this asshole told her, oh, I'll just wait, because the next thing she saw, Julian the captain was standing in her doorway, and he had something in his hand.
Speaker 2: To kill her, to finish her off, probably.
Speaker 1: But just as quickly as he appeared, he turned around and disappeared up the stairs again. So once again she's left sitting there in her bed.
Speaker 2: This guy's a weirdo.
Speaker 1: But again, by now the water's starting to flow up and she's got water coming over the top of her bed. She has to move.
Speaker 2: She can't stay the freaking tear that she must have, so.
Speaker 1: Wading through the water waist deep through her room, she climbed the stairs back to the top deck again, and when she reached the top deck, she shouted, is the ship sinking? Julian, from right behind her, responded yes. He shoved a rope into her hands and said, hold this, but through the fear and the coldness, with all the water and the night. I mean, yeah, you're in tropic areas, but you're in the middle of the ocean. It's cold. She lost her grip and dropped the rope. She realized quickly that the rope was connected to the to a raft at the other end, and now that she dropped the rope, that raft was drifting away. Julian quickly dove in the water and swam after the raft into the darkness, leaving her on the ship sinking alone. Imagine being eleven years old seeing your family butchered on a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean, the.
Speaker 2: Middle of nowhere. That is just like the worst thing ever.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, Terry is a quick thinker. She remembered her dad showing her another life raft that was lashed to the side of the ship.
Speaker 2: She's smart, hey, it is.
Speaker 1: She immediately ran over and thankfully it wasn't underwater yet. She immediately ran over and began untying it, and she managed to get it and tied just in time because her feet were no longer supporting her underneath her, the ship was because she got it untied.
Speaker 2: Go, Terry, go.
Speaker 1: So she climbed onto this little floaty dingy raft thing that is, like I said, it's like two and a half feet by five feet long. Yeah, And the ship was sinking underneath her.
Speaker 2: It was gone, Bragg and her family's all on there.
Speaker 1: But as it was sinking beneath her, a line on the raft caught the boat, and she and the raft were pulled under for a moment, and by some fucking miracle, it just let go and her and the raft pop back up to the surface.
Speaker 2: Thank god. Okay, I was like, how could this get any worse? But it did.
Speaker 1: I just does. Literally, everything just keeps fucking happening.
Speaker 2: Holy frick. That's actually a miracle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now she's left there alone, no boat, no family, no.
Speaker 2: Nothing, and I'm assuming her dad's just like dead on the boat because she didn't see him, right, Yes, Okay.
Speaker 1: So she immediately like huddled low in this little raft, like afraid that the captain might be coming back for her or something. Yeah, and she's just left there in the dark. She has no water, no food in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it's nighttime, i'de like makes it just like even more nightmarish.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's actually a little bit worse than you even think because the raft she was on it wasn't meant for like prolonged use, So it was like it was like this, like the best way to describe it is it's like this ring of flotation, right, and then in the middle it's just like a net. So she's literally sitting in.
Speaker 2: The water seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ah, And it wasn't meant for prolonged use. It was just meant to get to safety real quick, yeah, which means it was also deteriorating very fast. So over the next eighty four hours that she spent alone in the ocean, this raft was slowly falling apart.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is just too much.
Speaker 1: It was at four days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, yeap three and a half days or whatever.
Speaker 1: So through the night, through the beating hot sun, which was approximately around that time eighty five degrees fahrenheit, which is about thirty degrees celsius, she just sat there drifting.
Speaker 2: Holy crap. Well, she's fearing that this raft is just gonna like be done.
Speaker 1: Yep. So throughout her waiting and drifting, the sun's beaten on her. She's getting sun burnt, I mean salt water, she's just getting rubbed. Raw. Parrotfish would actually frequently come up and biteed her as well, giving her scratches and bite marks and everything, making it all the worse.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 1: It's like a tropical fish. It's like, I don't know, they're bout the size of a cat or small dog. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See that sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: And I looked them up and they've almost got like this like beak like teeth, so I'm pretty sure like it would hurt, it would pinch pretty good.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On day two, a small red plane actually circled overhead and she watched it and wave for it, and the plane eventually actually passed directly over her, but the pilots never saw her.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Apparently, it was actually close enough that she could read the labels on the side of the plane, but the angle that it was at, pilots couldn't see her. Dang, she was like right underneath it and they just couldn't see her.
Speaker 2: So you watch movies and stuffhere people almost get saved, and it's just like they're probably just so hopeful and then it just passes by.
Speaker 1: And like I said at the very beginning, she's this white speck in the ocean, right just mixed in with thousands of other white.
Speaker 2: Specks, just like very hard to really tell her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only reason that she was spotted originally was because that speck didn't flash.
Speaker 2: Like the rest, which is amazing actually of those people, oh yeah, because lots of people would pride, is like whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So through the glare the sun causing her eyes severe pain, like the glare off the water. She got severe pain in her eyes, her muscles ached, her skin burnt through her blouse and her pants, she was burning, Her lips were rough, swollen, her tongue was swollen. Through all this though, she said, she was never thirsty or hungry, really, I don't know how, just adrenaline or something, just powering through.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And since the bottom of this thing was just this mesh that was falling apart, for the most time, she actually balanced on the edge of the raft as much as she could. She even began to actually hallucinate multiple times. And at one point she saw a deserted island and she tried to paddle towards it, but it just disappeared.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no.
Speaker 1: There was however, I think it was on day three she saw large dark shadows in the water beneath her.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm kind of done with this story. This is just too much. I'm already afraid of the ocean. But okay.
Speaker 1: And it turned out to be orca whales.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. I thought it was gonna be like.
Speaker 1: Which Orcas are very dangerous. First of all, right.
Speaker 2: They are too, aren't they?
Speaker 1: But I guess, she said, she felt very calmed by them, and they just kind of hung around her for hours. I just kind of kept her company almost so she almost felt like that was like, I don't know, a good thing good.
Speaker 2: They almost could have been like protecting her from something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could have been who knows.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So eventually though, she did fall unconscious and the next time she would wake up, she'd be confronted by a huge, shadowy wall, and as she looked up to the top she would see people. She could faintly hear voices and shouting, and she was finally saved after eighty four hours in the ocean.
Speaker 2: Oh good for her. I don't know if I would have been able to last that long. That's impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know I would be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is amazing.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, she did make a full recovery, and she has wrote written a book which I'll put a link down in the description down below. It did take her a while to be able to come out with us because, like back then, a lot of it was like, hey, just suppress whatever you're feeling, don't talk about shit. So she did eventually start talking about things, and she has come up with this book, like I said, linked down below. I haven't read it yet. I want to read it. I wish I left myself enough time to read it before doing this episode. But so that's her point of view. Now, what the investigators discovered is a little not different. But it's a lot more on why this happened and what had happened while she was not watching, sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Between the adults or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, So investigators were already suspicious of Julian before he ended his life. Like I said, he was in that conference room when he learned of Terry Joe being alive. Right, Okay, They were interrogating him. They were asking him questions. The way the ship sunk didn't make sense because he said it was this sudden storm that blew over the masts. A sudden small storm wasn't recorded as far as they knew, the mass wouldn't have taken out the ship the way it was. Just a lot of things weren't making sense, especially from someone in an experienced position like Qubos.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, not only that.
Speaker 1: In his life raft he had flares, but he never used them. And he was asked why I never used the flares, and he's like, oh, I was in the bottom of the safety kit. I just never thought of it. An experienced World War two veteran experience to see, like really.
Speaker 2: Well, and you got some time on your hands, I think you'd be looking through that boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when they searched the wreckage area. They never found the boat or anything like that. As far as I can tell, I don't think the Bluebells ever being found to this day. I literally like googled hours on that I could not find an ounce of it being found.
Speaker 2: Interesting. So see, that's another thing that freaks me out is there's all these like shipwrecks and stuff, and they try to find it in some Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that they've probably by now got like radar. We're pretty sure that's it down there, you know, Yeah, you'd think so. Anyways, they were extremely suspicious of them, especially when they were like getting into a little bit more of his history and some of his history that we're going to talk about right now. He's been a part of a few other questionable boating accidents really, yes, where he'd actually made away with quite quite a bit of insurance money.
Speaker 2: Oh this asshole.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh it's getting worse here, hold on, as well as a car accident where a past wife and mother in law had actually died and he made way with quite the lump sum of insurance money. Again. In fact, Denay his wife was Julian's sixth wife.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Hey, that's quite a. That's a quite high up their number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe they were only married for about four or five months. I couldn't find an exact number. It was varying a bit, but they were only together like a short amount of time. And shortly before taking this voyage, Julian took a life insurance policy with denay worth twenty thousand dollars, which is approximately two hundred thousand dollars by today's value. Of course he did, yeah, right, So what investigators believed happen is they believed Julian planned to kill his wife out on the open ocean in the evening of the cruise and then in the morning claim that there was an incident where she fell overboard and he wasn't able to save her, and you know, so on so forth. The family's none the wiser, He collects insurance money, they move on, everyone's happy. However, didn't go that way. What did happen, they believe, is that the Duperyl family overheard him trying to commit the act and now.
Speaker 2: Caught and tried to savor her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now caught red handed, decided every witness must go, and he's going to sink the evidence good lord. Yep, what why he let Terry Joe live is still a bit of a question.
Speaker 2: Yea interesting actually, But I mean I think he might have just thought she would have died.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what Terry says. She believes that he just thought she was going to go down with the ship and die, right and clearly by his reaction, because like in that interrogation when he learnt of it, it was not like a he was happy. It was an obvious like taken aback. So clearly he did think she was dead. But why wouldn't he have just killed her? Because he stood in her doorway with something in her in his hand. M he had an intent at that moment. I guarantee that's what he was standing there for.
Speaker 2: I feel like this little girl just had something watching over her, something something as.
Speaker 1: She went through Helen high Water.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that she lived all of this is just like a miracle. Yeah, it's incredible, really is huh?
Speaker 1: So that's the story of the Bluebell and Terry Joe Duperole.
Speaker 2: Wow, he would an asshole that guy too, because like one oh one, like, don't pull out an insurance money or policy before you're about to murder someone right, like, are you dumb?
Speaker 1: Do it at least a year in advance?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, like you got to plan this shitt a bit better time, Like what a dumb ass?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I feel like anyone would know that shit. But anyway, okay, so is this is she still alive?
Speaker 1: She is? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: How old would she be? Now? You probably don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't look up her current age. Well, in nineteen sixty one, she was eleven the so what is that by now?
Speaker 2: We already know we're bad at math? Here seventy something?
Speaker 1: I think she's yeah, seventy four. Yeah, or's no, seventy two. I don't know, somewhere in your seventies early seventies. I don't want a math while I'm talking and drinking water. That's too much to do.
Speaker 2: It's too hard.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Wow. I really want to know more about her. I feel like I need to read this book or something.
Speaker 1: I want to read the BOOKI.
Speaker 2: There should be like a movie or something out about her about I think.
Speaker 1: There's a few movies based on the story, but I don't think that it's like exactly on the story. It's like loosely based on where they like take the idea of a murder at seeing a sinking boat and being lost, and that's about as connected as it gets. I think.
Speaker 2: I honestly that would make like an incredible movie though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely like super awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd freakin go and see that.
Speaker 1: Well, someone get on it, Go make a movie.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 1: Nicole wants to see it.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: By the time COVID's over, you might be able to go to theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you can't even go to movie theaters. I actually don't even know. I wasn't really a huge well, our movie theaters kind of gross.
Speaker 1: Our movie theaters sucks. Yeah, if the owner of our movie theater is listening right now, get your fucking shit together.
Speaker 2: Well, because I thought there would have been Reynolds or something during COVID, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: If there is no I I.
Speaker 2: Need they need he sheet, they need competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we only have one movie theater in this small town, and it's they're just like, Okay, we're the only ones, so we're not gonna do anything for upkeep for thirty years.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's nasty. Yeah, there's probably like I don't know, the next pandemic is going to be starting in that movie theater.
Speaker 1: At that girls, I'm pretty sure that anyone who's attended that movie theater is actually like immune to COVID. And I'm pretty sure the first time I went there, I put a piece of gum on the underside of one chair. I'm pretty sure it's still there.
Speaker 2: It's probably still there. Oh my word. Okay, Well, on
Speaker 1: That note, makesure you guys stay wicked, Stay wicked.