Speaker 1: Hello, this is David Hedison, the actor. You've seen me as Captain Lee Crane on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, also as The Fly, also as Felix Writer with Roger Moore on Live and Let Die and Kenmothy dalkon un Licensed to Kill. And you are listening to Doctor Sky.
Speaker 2: Welcome once again to the Doctor Sky Show, proudly heard here on teamtalknetwork dot com and on our flagship radio station, News Talk eleven hundred KSNX the fifty thousand What Powerhouse of the Desert self was give. You're a first time listener to the Doctor Sky Show, we come to the subjects of astronomy, space, avigation, weather, and of course the realms of science fiction. As today, ladies and gentlemen, of very special guest. In just a few moments, we'll be speaking with veteran actor David Heedison, who has had a remarkable career in not only film, television, but also page In a brief introduction of our guest, David Edison. David Edison was born Albert David Edison Junior in Providence for by eleven. He decided he wanted to be an actor after seeing Blood and Sand in nineteen forty one. He started out in the theater as Al Edison, receiving a Theater World Award for Most Promising Newcomer after appearing in the play but to do him on nothing. He soon signed on with twentieth Century five and starred in several movies before going on to TV's Five Fingers in nineteen fifty nine and then a name change to David Edison. He then appeared in the popular TV science fiction series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in nineteen sixty four, and after the show went off the air, David Edison continued acting in many made for TV films and guest shots on TV series, including two James Bond films. He was also a series regular on the soap opera Another World in nineteen sixty four, and more recently he starred in the theatrical production with a veteran actors Williet Mills and Lois Middleton. Cedison can currently be seen on the TV soap The Young and the Restlers. And with that, we're proudly welcome to this introduction and to this program. Actor David Edison's good after an answer, Hello, Hi, Yeah, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm fine Goad and.
Speaker 2: I think this will be a real trait for all the fans.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope so.
Speaker 2: Of many of the movies that you've been in, and David, I know we could go on for quite a long time talking about all the different movies and films that you appeared in. But the first one that I'd like to discuss with everybody is I think one of the greatest science fiction films ever made in nineteen fifty eight, where you start in the title role as what Andre Delambri in The Fly tell you the Diet.
Speaker 1: It's amazing because you know, a book is coming out this year because it's the fiftieth anniversary of The Fly, and the name of the book is called The Fly at fifty. It's the creation and legacy of a classic science fiction film and it to be bought through my website. And so I tell you what that is. 's do It's www. David Hedderson, one word dot com.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, David, And you know, going back into the history of science fiction films, I mean, I must say this is one of my favorite and I think many people's out there. Tell a little bit about the movie, the role and also working with such great actors like Vincent Price.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, it was incredible, because it's amazing. You know, I didn't work that much with him in The Fly because we worked on different days, because I worked principally with Patricia Owens. But I got to meet Vincent and we became great friends. When he became a guest star and Voys to the Bottom of the Sea.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. And I know, of course that Jeff Gopolm and of course the following series in the movies, of course they did what in a readaptation of the original.
Speaker 1: Fly under the Fly with Brett Harvey.
Speaker 2: Wonderful stuff. You know, it's a great honor to have you here, sir, because one of my favorite areas, and I think the listeners in this archive will be most impressed about, is your connection to a lot of the science fiction television that was out there in the nineteen sixties. And of course I'm referring to your role as Captain d Crane in the great television series Everyone Allen program Voyage to the Bottom of a Seat.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: How did you get started in that? I mean, that's fascinating stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, it's amazing. At first I turned it down I had turned the movie down. I made the movie first, and I didn't think I wanted to do that because I had just worked with Irwin Allen on The Lost World, and I thought to myself, well, it's more of sane, you know. So I wanted to do something else, and I turned it down. So then when the series came up, he called me and wanted me to do it, and I still didn't want to do it until I found out that Richard he was going to play the Admiral. And I was always a great admirer of his work, and I thought, oh my, yes, I must work on this series. And Richard and I get on famously. He's a lovely person. He was a lovely person for a great actor, and I think we made beautiful music together.
Speaker 2: You know, I would agree, David, And I'm serious about this. I have purchased all of the DVD series except for the very last season, and religiously, like I mentioned to you, I watched Lids in the evening to relax, and it brings back a lot of memories. As I'm fifty two years of age, and I remember this when I was a young boy in New York City. He was my favorite show. Now, was this on the ABC?
Speaker 1: Yes, it was ABC, and it was on for four years, one hundred and ten hours.
Speaker 2: Fantastic stuff. And as we get more into the interview today, I just want to remind our listeners here on The Doctor Sky Show that our very very special guest today is veteran actor David Heaterson, who's had a remarkableok for religions gentlemen in film, television and stage, and he's here today taking a few moments of his time and hit through his busy schedule. We were speaking to him from his home in southern California. Then again, David, I appreciate your time on this very important thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: What I'd like to discuss now is a little bit more about the whole theme of the Lawyers at the bottom of the sea. They had so many advanced pieces of technology inspired to us a little bit more for people that may not know about the sea views of nuclear powered submarine.
Speaker 1: Well, there's not much I can say because the whole thing was a set, you know, and there was nothing tell the technical about it as far as I was concerned. In fact, I was concerned at the time and when we're shooting it, every time I picked up the mic to talk to someone. There was a wire at the end, and I thought it was this was so futuristic. They didn't need that wire, but all during the show there was. But the technical crew is fabulous and they did great stuff. While I was doing the acting stuff on one stage, they were creating all kinds of things by themselves elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, David, the submarine the seaview, when we see that in the opening credits and throughout the actual show itself. Yeah, I mean this is a model. Do you know the size. I mean, it's fairly large model, or it will.
Speaker 1: Actually it wasn't a large marble because it was only pots of the submarine.
Speaker 2: Like the.
Speaker 1: Control room would be one plot, the missile room would be a whole different stage, and there was no continuity about it at all. But the way we shot it it made it look as if it were just one whole huge ship. And they did a great job and doing all they sudden they did at that time, I think they did an extraordinary job.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about Herwin Allen. I mean, I'm sure you've had interaction with him. I'm fascinated by all the wonderful products that he's brought to the television screen and what kind of was Oh, he was incredible.
Speaker 1: He was a great shelman and he was really he would get toll the enthusiastic about everything he ever did. He would get enthusiastic about his actors. He would get new projects and he would pin all these sketches on the walls, and he would go to the networks and he would put on such a show and he would sell his product because they were caught up in his wonderful imagination. Yeah, so that was all great. He was an extraordinary man when you think about all the stuff he did which was very successful, plus the big movies like The Tring, Inferno and The Preside and Adventure. So I think he was an incredible man. He was very good to me, and I miss him very much.
Speaker 2: Oh God, bless all the wonderful people who produced these great television series that people in my generation and many listening actually grew up with from the appertainly respect and remember his legacy. That's right, you know, asking this question an honor to be able to ask you this that for people out there, we have a lot of young students also that are aspiring to go into the world of television, acting and the theater with your experiencer, tell us what you recommend that a student today if they're interested in a career like those. Things have changed, but I'm sure the basics remain the same. What's the basics are.
Speaker 1: The same is that you really have to want to do it. You don't think about the money. You think about this as something I have to do. Now have a daughter and she's an actress, Alexander Heavison, but she was an actress. She's mostly now into photography, but she was acting for a brief time and she said to me, Dad, I don't want to do this anymore, even though I'm getting offers. She said, I'm not dedicated, and then she changed her mind the dad, dedicated is the wrong word. I'm not possised, And that's I was possessed. It was something I had to do and to really become successful, you really, really really.
Speaker 2: Have to do it.
Speaker 1: And to become an actor of all things, it's very important to read. Read every damn book ever written, Read the classics, read the plays, read, read, read, you can't get enough of that. And by the time you're getting an incredible education, and by the time you're ready to get on your feet and do some work. It comes off looking quite wonderful because I think of look at Meryl Streep. She's so intelligent in her acting shows because she's educated and she's learned things, and she's read books, and she's knowledgeable, and she's political. And that's what it's all about. Learn everything you possibly can about life and about your fellow's human being. And I think that's terribly important. But as I said, you really have to want to do it. So there, Oh gee, I hope I get a series. Oh they pay so much money. It's the wrong attitude because you might get one and you might last five minutes and you've had your success and that's the end of it. You have nowhere else to go. Absolutely, So that's my advice for what it's worth.
Speaker 2: So the passion has to be there, the spark inside. Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolute. You have to really really want it.
Speaker 2: David, I've never had the opportunity to really ask this as a veteran actor like yourself, And we do get some gifts like this in this category, but here it is. I mean, if you look at television, if you look at the theater, and if you look at the film. I mean, what do you find for yourself? Of the three, what did you enjoy the most? And why?
Speaker 1: I mean of most, it's I would say I like the stage more than anything because on the stage, if you goof you say, well, there's always tomorrow. On self, if you you know, do the scene and you walk away, and that evening you're thinking, damn, I missed that beat. I shouldn't played the scene that way. It should have been this way. And it's too late, you know, and it's done. And then also your performance is in the editor's hands and we're on the stage. It's all you. You're on the you're on the stage, and the audiences decide they're going to look at.
Speaker 2: You or look away whatever.
Speaker 1: So that's why I prefer the stage, because you have, first of all, a long rehearsal period and you finally get something a really interesting uh performance. Really in the long run, well you really don't have that much time. And film, particularly mostly in film, you do. You did get some rehearsal time. But you know, in television, wham bam, you learn the lines the night before and then you get on the set and you cross your fingers hoping that you hit the right notes, and then it's a print, and then you watched the show and so many times you're disappointed with what you did, but that's the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Well, they were thinking of stage and all the many players that you've appeared in with different roles. What one comes to mind were what two maybe that come to mind that were your favorite? And for what particularly are you talking about the stage or what absolutely on stage?
Speaker 1: On stage? I would say, it's when I got the Theater World Award. Now it was for you said much ado about nothing that was wrong. It was to gain as a month in the country, and that really I got the Theater World four So that to me was a wonderful experience and working with uder Hagen and Sir Michael Redgrave it was extraordinary. And then while I was in London, I worked in the BBC on a two hour special of In Smoke with that divine actress Lee Remick, who's now he's no longer aware us, but it was an incredible experience with Tennessee Williams Summer in Smoke and I really enjoy that. I think it's about the two most memorable things I can remember doing. And then of course on films.
Speaker 2: There was a fly. I love the fly the moment.
Speaker 1: I read it. I wasn't the first choice. I think they asked Michael Rennee. He turned it down. Then there was another actor, Rick Jason, who did combat. He turned it down. I guess they didn't want the fly cloth on the head for most of the performance that I thought, that's where the great acting comes in.
Speaker 2: And just to remind everyone, Michael Renee, of course, is in the wonderful science fiction the feature film The Day They Wrist.
Speaker 1: It's all and wonderful, and I think Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: Is also doing It's either Canon Reeves or I think it's Cannon Reeves. Excuse me, who's going to be in the new The Daily Wristic Still? Oh really, I didn't know that interesting stuff. Yeah, I appreciate your time today and just kind of focusing a little bit more on the discussion of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. As you know, sir, The Boyage is named number thirty in the top one hundred science fiction shows of all time, and I've become hooked on this for the technology, for your appearances, I'm just curious you describe some of your favorite episodes as the human Computer and the Phantom Strikes and the Return of the.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those two. I like the Phantom Strike that the Phantom was the one and the second was the Phantom Return. Those two episodes Withalveod Rider I liked very much. And there was something called man Beast and I'd love running around the ship driving people crazy. And I didn't have a stunt man of that at all. I did everything myself and I just enjoyed a lot of them. And of course there was something I really hated. I can't remember the titles, but I would be fighting with Irwin all the time. My god, We've got to do better than this, right, And I mean the last year particularly, it got it got pretty ridiculous with the lobster Man and the Koffel Man and a lack Man, and I thought I can't take it anymore. And I think the series ended just in time well after the fourth year.
Speaker 2: I think the same thing many people have said also happened with Lost in Space because some of the monsters became a little bit hard to swallow. Us all absolutely, absolutely, absolutely, but that's who might have complained. Sorry, but thinking about this entire series, which we just love ever so much, there's one piece of technology in there that even today I'm amazed. Bat is the flying sub all right?
Speaker 1: Well that was Ewin's idea and I saw, I thought, well that's pretty interesting, and the and the audiences loved it. They just absolutely love the flying sut.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. You know, a little bit of trivia about yourself. And again I'm not going to take face value of what I quoted before. Again I apologize. I'm like, oh, no, goblem internet movie database here, And again I realized I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, I always screw it up anyway, So don't blame yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, you're the first actor, as they say here, to portray double of seven Cia friends, Felix is it Lightner right?
Speaker 1: The Lee I t Ei right?
Speaker 2: And that's him live and let Dry, which I'm sure everybody knows and.
Speaker 1: Want license to care, License to care with Timothy Dalton.
Speaker 2: Well, these are fantastic movies. And now I can recollect and remember you from these particular movies, which is fascinating. And it also says here, let's see if this is correct that your name is just one of just time celebrity names. Actually incorporated into the Statler Brother's Top ten song the Movies because they needed a word that rhymed with Edison. That's right, Edison, and I can't remember why there was. It was a wonderful song.
Speaker 1: That came out at the time. It says thank you Commas Edison and thank you David Edison something like that.
Speaker 2: And here's one day. But if you could comment on for the listeners. I find this really fascinating. You turned down the lead role in The Birdie Burns for in nineteen sixty nine. That's right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because the Voyage had just finished and then I've gotten married in London and it was a new thing for me. I was growing up, getting married, having children, and I think when the Brady Bunch came up, I just suddenly turned it down. I thought, well, I want to take a little rest here. I didn't think it was going to be that successful actually, but it turned out to be seven years. It was very, very successful.
Speaker 2: Here's a cult following is renewals.
Speaker 1: I know, you know, every actor can tell you that they've turned down certain things that they were really sorry that they had done. I mean, every single act that you talked to will tell you about yell well, I turned this down, and I turned that down. I was a foolish thing, and another thing, and all's love boat?
Speaker 2: Did you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The captain of the love boat? What are you going to do?
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I mean, all these things we learn in our special interview today with David Edison and the latest Gentlement. If you're just joining us, we're privileged under to have veteran actor of both television, film and stage. As you know, David Edison was discussing many of his landmark achievements throughout his great career here on The Doctor Sky Show. But just a couple of other questions, if I may kind of giving us a better understanding of you and your career, if we go back to talking about Richard Bassart, I mean, he's one of one one of the great classic actors.
Speaker 1: He has a great actor. I had seen him, I think originally in Lestrava, the Italian film with Anthony Quinn, and then he did several movies at Fox, but he was only doing terribly interesting things. He was a fine.
Speaker 2: Actor, fascinating and as we look on here today, let's talk about David Edison in the year two thousand and eight you mentioned you have this wonderful book, The Fly at fifty coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's coming out here. It should be out any any time now, I think in October.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm going to the show in Boston, Massachusetts, and it's called Supermegafest dot Com. And it's being done in the Framingham at the Shelton Framingham Hotel just outside of Boston, and the books will be there then, and it's called The Fly at fifty The creation and legacy of a classic science fiction film. How's that?
Speaker 2: That is absolutely wonderful And just to remind people that may know you in the more modern sense obviously, as jud Arthur hendrickson The Young and the Wrestlers tell us that whole trend. All right, Well, that's kind of about it.
Speaker 1: There wasn't much work going on here. I sently got a call for The Young and the arrest At first I had done Another World, and I was on that show because like six years, and that was great fun. That was in New York. And then The Young and the Restless was here in Los Angeles. So I was on that for one year and it was a great experience and I think I liked it because my theater experience came in handy, where you know, on these soaps you have to do long takes and you have to remember the lines and the moves and everything else difficult, and it's more difficult than making a movie because most movies you do or TV you do them in short takes. And that's why fair training comes in very handy.
Speaker 2: Many times there are people who may not know, and I serve they'll go to the website and learn. But guest starts. I'm fascinated by this. I had a great show of the nineteen seventies and maybe earlier than that. You were also appeared on the SBI.
Speaker 1: All right, Yi, Wonder Woman, Stay Hand and all everything everything that was on in those days, it was a guest shot.
Speaker 2: Well, everything can pusion as we wrap up the interview and appreciate your time. As I mentioned many times here, if you look at the entire episodes that you did with television and the involvement there for the series, what stands out as your probably proudest moments as far as what series and particularly during what time during this.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think voyage to the Bottom of the Sea because of my great friendship with Richard and Irwin Allen and very wonderful moments. You know, I was young and really enjoying life, so it was lovely. I enjoyed that very much.
Speaker 2: And I read on one of the interviews that's on one of the websites dedicated to the show that as both of you would be ready in your navy uniforms and bronzed up with the makeup, you would visit various restaurants in the Hollywood area and people would get to know both you and Richard bace Ride. That's right, tell us a little bit more about that.
Speaker 1: That's so, we used to go to lunch at a certain place, and Rigid and I would go and we'd take off and we'd have some lovely lunch and people would come up to us and start talking as if we were trained and the Nelson, and.
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: We met some incredible people. And also there were a lot of visaas you know, who came on the set and they got these guest passes and we would talk to them as if we weren't too busy in a scene.
Speaker 2: And this was a.
Speaker 1: Great experience meeting so many people from all over the country who really enjoyed the show. Now it's all over the world.
Speaker 2: It was a huge hit.
Speaker 1: In London, so there. Yeah, you never know, did you.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things in conclusion is the DVD sort of you could describe to us, is now out and complete and they might have most of them. They're available in any any good place that's old.
Speaker 1: DVDs right, although they're all there right exactly. The fourth year is coming out next year, that of our voyage, but they're all three of them around now.
Speaker 2: Wow. In conclusion, did Edison, what's some of the later projects of what's next left with the fly At system? What are you looking for to do well?
Speaker 1: And nothing? Really, I've been working a lot of the active studio here in the West Coast with the young people and doing scenes and giving them some of my knowledge and just you know, passing it on is what you have to do. And also I'm working on a project of a prey by checkof called the Cherry Orchid and we're working on that. Keeping the brain young, you know, just learning lines and enjoying every minute of it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, David Edison, I want to thank you so much. We're coming up to the bottom of the hour. Should be kind enough here to just remain on the line with us just a few moments as because at the bottom of our own laties and gentlemen, actor David Edison, who's had a remarkable career as you've heard, in film, television and stage, joining us today here when The Doctor Sky Show reminiscing about Memory Lane. Of course some of the greatest and the best in the industry. He of course knew and those and also contributed greatly to our archive, video, stage and theater way and also television. I want to thank you David Edison for being our guest today and thank you for inviting me my pleasure. That concludes this exciting edition of The Doctor Sky Show, hert weekly here on teen Talknetwork dot com and in our flagship radio station, News Talk eleven hundred KFNX, the fifty thousand what powerhouse of the Desert Southwest. In conclusion, Doctor Sky always reminds you to always keep your eyes to the skies. Thank you, David Edison.