Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a special edition of Full Circle the podcast. Today we're visiting with Dan Rothenberg and Eva Steinmetz. They are the co artistic directors of Pig Iron Theater Company in Philadelphia. Dan is the co writer and co director of a new play, Franklin's Key, that will be at Plays and Players June eleventh to June twenty eighth, and Eva Steinmetz is also co director. I'm your host Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I'm your host Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for having us.
Speaker 2: It's exciting to get to talk to you. I just said to you both off camera that I've been aware of blissfully aware of Pig Iron for ever and your stellar reputation in theater and the Philly arts scene in general, but I haven't gotten to see anything live, and I always here about it after the fact and everyone's like, oh my god, I've never seen anything like that before in my life, and I'm like, I want to go.
Speaker 4: To We're excited to have you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, this time we're going, Yeah, we are, and we love plays and players.
Speaker 1: So this is a little bit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Normally we see a show and then we talk about the show because that, you know, this just seems to be how it works out. But we get to talk about the show beforehand, and so this is fun, so you can introduce us to what's going on here. Was Franklin's Key based on another piece? Dan? Did I read that? Was there something smaller or.
Speaker 5: This is No, It's been in development for quite a long time. I mean, it's interesting what you said, Charles about I do feel like, you know, we make usually one new work a year, and we're almost always at the Philadelphia Fringe festivals. Your experience is not uncommon. It's like, oh the fringe, Oh what happened. We're not like a theater company that's usually doing well. You can just see us in another three months because we make all original work and this piece is a little bit of a pivot for us in terms of, you know, being associated with the fringe, being associated with experimental work.
Speaker 3: Franklin's Key is.
Speaker 5: Not based on any existing storyline or anything, but it is inspired by so many any movies of the nineteen eighties in a way, it's reminiscence of Stranger Things, but translated for the stage interest, Stranger Things is so pulling on those Spielberg strings from the eighties. Were definitely inspired by the Goonies, by Back to the Future, and then also inspired by certain kinds of sci fi fantasy, like the Golden Compass, where you have a city that's real, like Harry Potter's London or in Golden Compass Oxford, but there's a sort of fantasy city that's an alternate reality that's projected on top of the real city. And we wanted to do that with our hometown, Philly.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Philly is often an alternate reality, though, I mean, you don't always have to reach far.
Speaker 2: When you said it, it clicked. Yeah, You guys do typically just debut for the Fringe, which makes sense considering the type of things that you do.
Speaker 1: That's what I think I was Was there something in this to the Fringe or did I just make that up?
Speaker 5: So we as we were working on this piece about Ben Franklin, I call it like the family friendly sci fi Ben Franklin Show. Okay, and I can tell you the basic logline in a second, But we realized that the semi Quin Centennial was coming up, and we said, oh, well, maybe this can be kind of our entry into the city's festivities for the semi Quin Centennial. But the show we're imagining was so big and has special effects that we've never done before. We should premiere it in the summer before and see what we can do and how we can work out the kinks and the figure out the video design and the magic design, and so even and I are excited going into this that we have so much groundwork laid. We still think of it as a new play, but there's just a lot of technical elements that we really needed to take time to figure out quickly. The story of the play, it starts with this little anecdote about Ben Franklin, which is that from the biography, a little true detail that in the War of Independence, the British were afraid that Ben Franklin could control the weather and that he would use this kind of quasi magical power against them. That was like a rumor that was filtering around, And this is a show that imagines what if that were true? What if Ben Franklin really did have secret technologies that were centuries ahead of their time and They're actually being maintained in a kind of clockwork underneath the landmarks of Philadelphia that we know so well, so City Hall, the Wanamaker Organ, the PMA, the Liberty Bell. What if these are all if you go into the tunnels, into this hidden Philadelphia, there's a secret society trying to maintain this secret technology. And then these two teenage prodigies sort of stumble. That's how it's sort of like goonies. They stumble into the mystery, you know, they stumble into the mystery of the new Promethean society, this struggle for power and will the technology be used for good or for evil? As they wind their way through the mystery of the show.
Speaker 2: And you can fit that in plays and players.
Speaker 5: We use every square inch of plays and players. It is amazing, Like backstage, there's no room. We have used really every square inch, every pipe, every dressing room. There is no unused space in the theater.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: That literally immersive.
Speaker 1: So think clearly, you had to co sign here, talk to us about it.
Speaker 4: Had to co sign on the premise.
Speaker 1: This is it's wild. I'm excited, more excited now. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's so fun. And so I joined the pig In Theater Company in twenty twenty three as an artistic producer and just this year became co artistic director. So my role on the project last year when it when it first went up, was really as a producer, as a helper, facilitator, keeping the train on the tracks. And one of the lessons that we learned last year was that it being so big and there being so many technical components that actually Dan and I sharing some of the directing would probably set all of us up for more success because there's just so much to keep track of. So I'm coming into this not as somebody who's been shepherding it for many many years like Dan has, as both a writer and a director, but I'm coming in as somebody who got to watch audiences fall in love with it last year, and now I get to have fun with everyone. I get to be in the rehearsal and play with these characters that I really fell in love with, and I think, yeah, the ensemble there's ten actors, and it really shows off a lot of the Philly performing scene. There's a lot of different theater companies and different performers who are represented on the stage, and I have so much affection for all of them, and I have so much affection for this community, and I think the show does a really good job of kind of showcasing their skills.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. And hearing the synopsis, it also sounds like a movie I haven't seen, but National Treasure, right.
Speaker 5: I meant to say National Treasure. We're like, what do we say, like the Goonies.
Speaker 4: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which is not a movie, it's the Broadway show National Treasure. Yeah, our kind of reference points.
Speaker 1: Show that's crazy but better. I'm just gonna go but better but better?
Speaker 2: Oh definitely, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: You can't really mention Harry Potter to a trans person these days without the hair on the back of my neck. So I'm just better but.
Speaker 2: Better, better by virtue, not queer, more fun.
Speaker 1: Queer more exactly. I just had to do that better queer and.
Speaker 2: More fun, better, queer, more fun.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you don't have that on it.
Speaker 2: I know. So, when based on everything that I know of Pig Iron and the synopsis of this show included, when we sit down to discuss the new project, do we just take seven hits of acid and then talk like I don't because pig Iron is crazy in the best possible way, and because like I said, everything that I've ever heard is prefaced by I've never seen anything like it before.
Speaker 3: That's really amazing, That's great.
Speaker 5: I mean, I do think that our mantra, We've had a few different ones, but we say there really is no house style, and we want to reinvent ourselves with each production, and we work really closely with ensembles of actors kind of creating a style that is is unique to each production.
Speaker 3: And so we kind of start.
Speaker 5: Each each process saying well is this a downbeat, mumble style or is this a very articulated.
Speaker 3: Physical and visual style.
Speaker 5: Is this a body burlesque style?
Speaker 3: And trying to move everybody?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: I think a criticism that we where we apply to ourselves is like are they in the same play?
Speaker 3: You Know?
Speaker 5: Often I go to a play and I'm like, well, I really like.
Speaker 3: This person, but I'm not sure they're in the same play as everybody else, right, And.
Speaker 5: So that's something that we really care about, is making a complete world and reinventing what's possible in a way. Sometimes the work we do is surprising because it's like a risk for us to do something a little more mainstream. So doing something family friendly felt like a risk for us, and that some of our audience would be like, well, wait, what's going on? And once upon a time we had a really good time when even I first worked together on this Shakespeare play, Twelfth Night, where we said, can we treat it like an ensemble devised piece but actually still play it straight like Shakespeare so that we can talk.
Speaker 3: To different people.
Speaker 5: I think part of the goal for us, having been part of the fringe for almost twenty I mean we've been in more than twenty fringe festivals, was like, well, it's just time to talk to other people too.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was Twelfth Night, the one that took place in the morgue.
Speaker 5: No, wow, you remember way back I was when I was really had a chip on my shoulder about Shakespeare. That's two thousand and seven, and that one is yes, Shakespeare performed in a morgue by naked dead bodies stumbling around and mumbling yeah, which was do we curse on this podcast?
Speaker 1: Although fuck it?
Speaker 5: So that was more of the fuck you Shakespeare project of a of a younger Pig Iron, and then a few years later we were like, well, maybe actually it's a risk to not say fuck you and mess around, you know, and see if we can really be a reverent with it but not specifically put it in people's faces, like what am I seeing? Here? What am I seeing? And that show had this live Balkan jazz band on stage that felt really different from other Shakespeare's that.
Speaker 3: On that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was one of the ones that I definitely remember hearing about and being that's up my alley, right, Okay, that's crazy. And yet sometimes it is a risk to go against your own grain and not say fuck you, even if you're just saying sit on it, bucko, you know what I'm saying, Like you just take like approach it from the left a little bit as opposed to quite so on the nose.
Speaker 1: You always been a part of Pig Iron? Is that?
Speaker 5: Yes, I am in the weird position of having been with a group of twenty two year olds twenty one year olds and saying let's make a play and take it to the Edinburgh Fringe and then oh, look, Philly's starting a fringe, maybe we should do something there. Two years later and now it's thirty years later, and there's really been many a few different generations of Pig Iron creators loving that Eva is here. We can probably tell that Eva is younger than I am and bringing a new vision, a new life to the company. And for fifteen years we've run this graduate program in devised theater, theater, creation, physical theater, which has really sort of shifted our community. When we were younger, we were kind of trying to We were touring a lot overseas and bringing back artists from Japan and Sweden to make plays with us and showcase them in the fringe. And now that we've set up this school, people are coming from all over the country and somewhat from all over the world, and some are staying in Philadelphia and starting their own companies, companies that are way riskier and more experimental than some of what I do.
Speaker 3: Some that are.
Speaker 5: Yeah that like are in art galleries, rock bands, you know, a bunch of a bunch of different forms have sort of come out of the folks who come and train with us and stick around.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love it too, and it's such a sign of maturity. It's like, how do I get them to come to me, and you figured that out brilliantly. So that's just maturity. Yeah, because you keep talking about the eighties and I'm like, all right, I know exactly well, we are the demographic. But yeah, it's and how do you think I'm trying to phrase the question that's in my head because I think it's talk amongst you come back to me. I'm going towards, you know, like always having a multi generational approach to theater, always having young people and new ideas and new perspectives and including those rather than saying we have figured it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Do you want to talk about that a little either, or do you want to hear my take?
Speaker 4: Well, I would love to hear your take. But I think one of the things, one of the things that feels so specific to the pig Iron devising and co creating process is that it really is made by the people in the room. And in the same way that Dan was talking about wanting to create these visual and emotional and rhythmic worlds that feel cohesive, there also is a desire to really look at who's here and what are their skills, and how can we make a show that forms itself around that instead of getting a script and being like, oh, there's a character in the script that has to be a certain way, and our actor is not exactly that way, and we're just going to try to bend over backwards to turn this person into someone that they're not. And I think when you gather groups of people together, and when those groups of people represent different identities in different generations, than there is a kind of constant discovery and curiosity. So I think some of it is seeking out the audiences who are young and who are interested in pig iron, and some of it is also just looking around and seeing who's in the room of the makers.
Speaker 1: I love that though, because so often and you just you just gave it words, just trying to kind of beat the actor into the role rather than and I've seen that, and I think that's dan what you mentioned about, like are they in the same play?
Speaker 2: Mmm?
Speaker 1: Because it can be like what just happened there? We saw that not that long ago, with one one particular character and an ensemble and going hmmm, right, And I think that was why I don't think that this was their strength. So I love that idea of saying.
Speaker 4: Which isn't to mean that there can't be rigor and stretching casts own abilities. But yeah, I think what you're describing is exactly the thing that Dan and I both have a little bit of an allergy too.
Speaker 5: And Dan your take, well, I was just thinking about the word, about the word generations. I don't even know if I finished this. Like what I was thinking before was like, I'm in the weird position of starting a theater company with a group of college friends and blinking my eyes and it's thirty years later. So it's a little bit of you know, we really, I mean, you know, we wanted to be upstarts, gad flies, people who would like poke their finger in your eye, and maybe that's a little unseemly in your fifties in some way.
Speaker 1: No, it's not at all. I think that's when it starts at its best, right, honestly, Yeah, truly, that's just my you know, I recently sat on a panel that was an intergenerational queer panel, and we ranged from I want to say, seventeen or eighteen. Maybe maybe they were both eighteen, but we had high school aged kids, and we sat in age order goddamn them up until our oldest person there was seventy two, and there were themes of reconciliation and what is it look like and how do we and what we kind of came to very organically was we we looking up and down this row, are this generation. We are each iterations of the generation. And the more we respect one another and our perspectives, which I think, I think in queer worlds and in artistic worlds, we tend to be better at that than maybe out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 5: Is very moving and makes me think about chosen family.
Speaker 3: That's something that people in the.
Speaker 5: Theater world and people in the queer community in their own ways understand.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And.
Speaker 5: So you know, I think that it big Irond attracts a lot of weirdos and I love that, and I really you know, I think sometimes, yeah, sometimes we're trying to have plays where it's like, yeah, this person is so great, this is this is what they're meant to do, this is this is the thing that this is.
Speaker 3: Where they can.
Speaker 5: Express something that they that they didn't normally don't get to.
Speaker 2: I love it. So would you say that Franklin's Key is the most normal production that you guys have done so far? I put normally in air quotes.
Speaker 5: Shakespeare one is actually more normal than this one, although I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's I also feel like.
Speaker 5: We've done some shows that I call hoaxes, and I definitely like to do a bait and switch.
Speaker 2: And I also so.
Speaker 5: Like the sort of more elegant word is to be disarming that a bunch of our shows are like, oh, you know exactly what this is.
Speaker 3: You can be comfortable. So I think you can come.
Speaker 5: Into this show and go, oh, this is a spectacle. And it's a spectacle and it's a linear story and it's like a Marvel movie theatricalized and made onto the stage, and that's so fun. But I think that that's the hook. But there are some there are still some deep ideas. There are still some things that are unexpected that happen in the show. I mean, you know, on the one hand, it's like National Treasure or if you ever saw that show Alias, there was all this like ancient technology that they were all fighting over in their secret CIA things.
Speaker 2: I miss that in some ways.
Speaker 5: It's just a you know, it's it's a goof on that. But actually this question about technology being hoarded by some people and some people wanting to dominate society or should we allow everyone to use it? And is it too dangerous? I mean, all of that stuff is really a reflection of everything that's going on with AI and the Internet and the way social media is being fine tuned to grab our attention. So I think those things.
Speaker 3: Are in there. I mean, I think there's I mean, for the.
Speaker 5: People on this podcast, there's a secret anti Elon Musk message. That's the part of the play that in terms of although you know, on the one hand, it's like a classic Captain America villain, but on the other hand, it's like a technologist who's like, I want to keep it all for myself and I don't like the stupid people, and I'm going to dominate them, and it's sort of a takedown of that person.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was going to go there, because like, how do we talk about technology and conspiracy and without the overlay of current events, Because yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Right, And I was just thinking, like, technology is only as dangerous as the hands that are wielding it. But as we know, as.
Speaker 1: We know, anything that hates the Latin must come down with Now I want to see it more. I think being able to be entertained and at the same time think, which Hey, I think theater at its best always does, right, we think about something right, but especially now because there is so much we're looking out on the landscape saying can they do that? Can they really do that? And then something more ridiculous happens. So by the time this opens it may not even feel like sci fi.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Things are changing by.
Speaker 2: The day, right, And I imagine that these days, in order to make work that feels fenantastical while being topical, you have to get more and more crazy to top the thing you're poking at, because it's like the news is written by like mad libs and shit, I don't, Yeah, my god.
Speaker 1: How do you keep that on the outside while you're trying to run rehearsals and to play or you can't and should you?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think fundamentally, I don't think in our room we make an effort to keep it out of rehearsal.
Speaker 3: I think we have the best theater.
Speaker 5: The best art is going to come from the personal connection to the material, and that personal connection has to do with like the onslaught of the world, those battles, some that are personal, some that are.
Speaker 3: Communal and political.
Speaker 5: So so yeah, I mean, I guess I go back again to that. I do think there is this aspect of chosen family that we rely on each other in.
Speaker 3: This, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean one of the things it's interesting, you know, like Pig Iron does a lot of different kinds of things. We've done shows like that are actually immersive. We've done shows with choirs and even one with a robotics lab and so like a lot of unusual stuff. Yeah, but one thing that we've always done is we always have a warm up for every rehearsal and for it. So this is sort of like something the audience doesn't need to know, but we have a warm up for every rehearsal for every performance we've done in these thirty years.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe we missed a couple, but.
Speaker 5: That that's our way of sort of putting our money where our mouth is. That like, this is about the people who are working together. We're going to take some time every day and just breathe together and be together. And I think that just creates, i you know, without without getting to the unhealthy place of mixing the professional and the personal. I think that does create a kind of resilience that you know, hopefully seeps into like how you how you keep going in the world we're in right now, for sure.
Speaker 4: And I think it also helps to develop some of those things that make audiences say I've never seen anything like that that When we're breathing together and moving together, those are the moments when unusual or abstract images come out of our shared joy, shared grief, shared confusion. And so there can be, yeah, there can be physical gestures or images that we can develop as an ensemble, as a group of people who are moving together and making things together that really do emerge from the feelings and aren't kind of put on top by thoughts and ideas and prescriptive notions of how something should be interpreted. And yeah, and I think that is one of the secret ingredients for pig iron making stuff.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's huge. Yeah, that's huge. And there's nothing wrong with a good distraction. I mean, there's you know, intentionally finding joy and this like that's resistance onto itself. I was going to say, you know, insisting, you know, we're going to take this time and we are going to laugh and we are going to smile, and we are going to see one another, because that, right there is resistance and it pisses them off even more, right, so.
Speaker 2: Exactly laugh in the face, but.
Speaker 1: That I love that that visual and that idea of coming from versus being put on top of right.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about the fact that Iron as a school because Martha and I owned a bar together in Northeast Philly into Coney for five years, and because we're us, we leaned heavily into the arts community of Philly. We hosted the first Friday we called it the first Friday Arts Takeover, and we've had several Pig Iron students and or graduates take part. We had one we have one group. They did like a mask work piece and it was one of those things like a lot of people in the room had no idea what was going on. But I'm sitting here, go this is happening in our space and I'm loving it. I'm loving it.
Speaker 3: I'm loving.
Speaker 2: So I am very grateful for the existence of the Pig Iron School.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like what yeah, like what are the ever know what your reach?
Speaker 1: You know, like how far?
Speaker 2: Like what are the the the core values that of the school that you would say.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think number one is this spirit of play.
Speaker 1: That the schools like.
Speaker 5: Methodologies inspired by this French guy, Jacques Lecoq, who used to talk about le jure the playfulness, and if it isn't there, you don't have theater. And it's wild to sort of how when that can get sucked out of the project that you're working on, or that even started from a very joyful or innocent impulse. So it's it's a kind of muscle that you have to keep working to keep finding that well.
Speaker 1: And we've got data right in the mix. So I'm just going and Martha Graham character is exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 5: And yeah, what else do you think in terms of like the school's fundamental.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in a lot of ways. It's modeled after Jacques Lecox School in Paris, plus plus some other practices and pedagogies that pig Iron picked up around the world with the various collaborators and theater companies and schools that it encountered along the way. So I think, yeah, this spirit of play is really at the heart of it, and it being a place where you make ensemble work is also a huge part of it. That the classes you divide into groups, and every week a group gets given an assignment. You make a thing, you show it to your professors. The next week you get given assignment. You make a thing, you show it to your professor. So there's just a constant collaborative making that's happening, and there's really a focus on groups.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to the same thing with dance in college. I love that.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about two things.
Speaker 5: Like just another way of saying that EVA for me is like an ethos is you can do it yourself, you can make it up. That there's so many things in our lives and in our art making that like there's always the danger of falling into well, I'm doing it because this is how it's always been done, and I'm doing it because everyone says this is the right way to do it. And if I do this, then I'll get that. And especially in our world now, there's no truth in that anymore. There's no like, if I do this, I'll get that that you can count on. And Yeah, that that's like that's its own kind of muscle. And it also just makes me think about always trying to mess with piety, Like that's a kind of piety in a way to be like, well, you know, good theater is done with articulation, you know, I mean, I think that was that old that Shakespeare play you remember from almost twenty years ago now is.
Speaker 3: Is uh what's kind of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Fuck you about like maybe maybe Shakespeare's good with good articulation, but maybe it's like you can hear something else with it weirdly mumbled by semi zombies, and you'll hear something new and so yeah, and uh, I actually studied with that guy back in the nineties, Jackalacock, and he would say the best student is the one who betrays the master. And I really thought that, And I feel like I'm just always blown away by the things the graduates do. Some graduates started this festival Cannonball, which is also part of the Fringe but also now has other iterations throughout the year.
Speaker 2: It's amazing cannon Ball came out of pig Iron Well.
Speaker 3: Some of the founders. Several of the founders met as student as a pig Iron.
Speaker 5: I love that, so yeah, but we can't take credit for it.
Speaker 3: We just admire it.
Speaker 2: Still And I love that. Yeah, And that makes because Cannonball does wacka doo shit, And where do you learn to be your most wacky dooyist?
Speaker 5: I get it hopefully with us, I get it hopefully.
Speaker 1: Society. I love the idea of challenging piety.
Speaker 4: I would say another thing that comes out of the school is in the spirit of play and experimentation.
Speaker 2: Is just a real deep.
Speaker 4: Familiarity with failure, that you try things and it doesn't work, and often the information about the failure is coming from the audience that you want to do something that's funny, or you want to do something that's moving, and it doesn't land. And I have so many experiences being in collaborations with people for whom those moments of failure are profoundly painful, and failure is always painful to some degree. But there is something about building a muscle of experimentation and trying things and then saying, oh, I think that didn't work. What should we do differently, Let's switch this, and not sitting in the pain of I tried a thing and it failed. But actually that's like part of the momentum of creation.
Speaker 2: Mmm. I'm enjoying and I'm going to take this away from today's conversation, that concept of going back to like the spirit of play being a muscle, experimentation being a muscle. I love that because it's true you gotta and you gotta exercise it.
Speaker 1: Well, there are certain things you have to do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You can't talk. I can tell you about something, but I believe I'm right in the right vein. Like I can tell you about timing and how it but until you have that immediate feedback from an audience, right, yeah, that's different. That's a different lesson.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I can I can talk all day, but until you're up there and you're feeling it and you're realizing, oh wait, this has to be bigger or this needs to be smaller or whatever it is, you are learning as you're doing, and that has application throughout life.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know a comedian who doesn't get in front of an audience to work out their yeah, their material, because what other way is there? Right, yeah, truly, and.
Speaker 2: Because you can think you're funny all day but.
Speaker 3: It's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But there's so many other applications. I mean, you know, I work with a whole lot of trans people and it's the same thing. It's like, honey, I can tell you you're going to be okay, but you've got to get out there under that, you know. I can say, it's your first walk through, target is going to be okay, but it's not going to be okay until you do it right. It's not going to be okay until you have have gotten to the other side of that experience. And so, you know, I have always thought there are like big life lessons in theater and performing and art.
Speaker 2: I had a professor at Temple Dance, Eva Golsen, and she always used to say, and I always take it with me, and I've changed the subject of the sentence, but it's still always works. There's no such thing as a dancer in theory. You know, you are doing or you are not and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing or not doing. Yeah, there is no try right.
Speaker 5: And then the seventies movie in that case, well.
Speaker 1: I'm a little older than all of you, all right, oh I'm.
Speaker 5: Pretty familiar with that one.
Speaker 2: Well I'm a nerd, so also, yeah, but yeah, I love that. I love that spirit of playfulness and experimentation. And definitely you got to get over the fear of failure. And you know, because failure also has that flip side of the happy accident. You know, it's like, Okay, that's not what I meant to do, but that worked because sometimes you have the thing like, well, I'm never doing that again, or maybe if I add a little twist to that that could work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much of or how important is improv.
Speaker 3: This is an unusual show because.
Speaker 5: It actually is one of the only ones, it's one of maybe three of our thirty years that have started with a script, although there's been plenty of improvisation around the script and certainly around the style, and there's a movement ensemble which is only indicated in the script, and lots of things came out of that improvisation as well. But I yeah, I mean, I guess it's in a way it's hilarious that we didn't get to that. That's actually the main thing that we do at the school, and the main thing that we do when we're making and writing is improvised. And I guess one of the things that I've always said is kind of a.
Speaker 3: Theater lever who's not.
Speaker 5: So psyched about play writing sometimes is that, well, if you haven't done a lot of improvising, how do you know why someone would want to speak otherwise? You know, it can just there's so much that's overwritten in the theater where it's like, well, I'm putting this line here, and I'm putting this line here. But when you're improvising continually, you're also working that muscle of where does the impulse to speak come from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I'm sure, like you know, as a director, there's got to be a spirit of improvisation, because you know, you see something and then you go, well, what if we did it this way? Or what if we never do it that way?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 2: Again? Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here just thinking about cooking, like when I had. When one first learns, you know, how to cook, it's the recipe. And I have a dear one who lives in New York City and she's a fabulous cook. I learned in cooking with her. She's very much to the recipe. And I said, I want to make that shrimp dish that you make and she said, well, we can't, and I said why and she said, I don't have tarragon oil. I said, hold on, is that not a jar of tarragon up there? And she said it is And I said, is that not oil? And she said yeah, And I said We're good and.
Speaker 2: It blew her mind, like you can do at it?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, because she had always cooked a recipe. Yeah, you know, And I think so many of us in the beginning, especially like theater students learn a certain way, right, and we learn a certain way to approach a script in a certain way to and and you're saying, eh, maybe right, maybe, I mean what about that.
Speaker 2: Was always my way as an artist. Frequently did my detriment. But like, I like to just try different things, and a lot of times the thing that I'm trying is not something that I studied. You know, I didn't study theater. But it's like I want to write a play and I want to produce it and I want to put it up. And it's like, so I don't know rules, and you know, I'm just breaking rules left, right and sideways. But how to fuck would I know? And and part of me is like, you know, you got to know the rules to break the rules. And then part of me is like why are they rules? And there is that double edged sword because it's like, again, there's no such thing as an artists in theory, but I don't know, like how do we feel about that convention of like, you know, taking the tradition and the rules of tradition and turning it on its ear, thumbing your nose at it, but still being steeped in it. You know what I mean, Like, how do you walk that line?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where do you come? Where do you come at that idea? You have to know the rules to break the rules. I think that's an easier way to ask the question.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Stream well, I guess I think building off what Eva said about failure and what you said Martha.
Speaker 3: About things that must be done, like.
Speaker 5: When you perform, you learn rules you and there's no and and and a lot of people are told those rules before they've actually done the performing and discovered them for themselves. And by rules, I mean you learn the limits of what you can how much you can hold people's attention and with what and so I guess I don't feel you know another this is a little bit my mantra, but similar to your tarragon oil, which I feel like I could really use in some of the classes here at PIGIRN, is that all training is made up and that it's so easy to be like, oh, this training. What's important is that I do it the way that it was done by the founders, and it's like, well, they just got together in a room and they were like, you know, it'd be great in dance, would be if we did this, if we made volumes in space with our arms, And that was the fundamental and just a new idea that they made up, and then it was popular and then it's like, well, other people want to learn how to do it, and then it becomes ossified. So I guess I think if you show up in any if you show up and you're like, there are no rules, usually that's kind of self indulgent in a way. Sure, but you're trying to find that special place of there's rules for me to learn. There's not rules I have to follow because other people told me that I had to follow them, Right, it's sort of where I land on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think I would add to that that, uh yeah, I kind of don't care. I'm like, do you want to follow the rules? Do you not want to follow the rules? Are you feeling angsty about it?
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 4: Do your thing. If you have a thing that you are feeling compelled to do, do that thing. But you should know that we live in a world and in a cultural landscape where people are going to come in with a certain set of assumptions and expectations, and you are going to be making work in conversation with those assumptions and expectations. So if you're angry that they didn't see what you wanted them to see, that might be on you to shift things to make it more legible, if that's what you want to do. So there's, yeah, there's a we all have. I think I think there's I've had moments where I'm like, why am I following these rules? I don't need them. I'm doing them because somebody told me to, and I got to let go of that and do my own thing. And then I've also had moments where I have thought, oh, that's why we have that rule. I thought I didn't need it, and now actually it's very useful, and I'm just going to hold onto it and follow that rule because it's helping to elevate the thing that I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: Legibility is that what it? Just the concept of it? Because how to say? I have worked with the actress for whom the stage is therapy, Oh my god, which I would prefer it not be. I'd like you to also have a therapist, just because And so I've seen both sides of that where it's and and it does come back to the legibility of it, like and being able to say, well, if you didn't get what you were looking for in that, you're the one who needs to consider your approach, not them. You not always easy to teach.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and I've I've I've approached that that scenario a couple of times, where like I love experimental work, I have been captivated by things that would have other people rocking back and forth and checking their watch. And then I've also said, if I'm going to watch someone masturbate on stage, I'm not going to do it here. You know, there are places for that.
Speaker 4: What are the cultural expectations of this space. Sometimes we're all showing up to watch somebody master van stage and that's.
Speaker 2: Cool, Right, I've been to that show too, and that's okay.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we're not and we don't want.
Speaker 2: To see it, right exactly, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I just came here to grocery shop, ma'am, this is a Wendys.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I am. I love that there are more and more affirming churches in the world. You know, we've got several around here, and regardless of what my own views are. Somebody asked me to go talking to church that I know is really trying to reimagine. I'll go. And you know the last time I did, I walked in and I said, all religionism made up the good thing about that, we can reimagine it right, just you know, just because it is, you know, and like if we can't get to that fundamental part of the idea, I'm not the one you want talking to you.
Speaker 2: I think I actually heard some hairs on backs of necks stand up when you said that.
Speaker 1: Probably probably, but I think we need to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all made well. Yeah, like when people say, you know, oh god, you're just making up words now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all yeah, that's how.
Speaker 3: They all got.
Speaker 2: All of them, including these right now that I'm saying, somebody made it up, right, But we just have these communally agreed upon like ideas that this is this, that is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's you know, some of them. I'm going to get off this tangent in one second. Some of the con flicked that we see, especially with queer and trance people at the moment, you know, in our broader culture is you're not following the rules I am, I am chained with and I don't like it. And art is one of the ways we challenge that and say uh huh. But but you too could break through, right, you too. You've got the key to your own cage as well. Yeah, it's scary.
Speaker 2: There's actually nothing stopping you from doing.
Speaker 3: It too, friend.
Speaker 4: And also, if you don't want to, you don't have to. Like me, diverging from the path shouldn't be a threat to you walking the thank you yes part.
Speaker 1: You can put a doily on the elephant in your room. I'm good with that, but you know, don't fuck with mine.
Speaker 2: Right, you can call it an end table if you like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine. We're allowed. We're allowed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. It's it's all minus oppression and and and you know, causing harm. It's all. Okay, here's what.
Speaker 1: I have always wondered, Dan, where did the name pig Iron? Why pig Iron? I think I know, but I want you to tell me the name.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in the program. So now you have to come see the show and naming the program.
Speaker 1: Okay, read the book, just between us.
Speaker 3: Between us.
Speaker 5: Again, Remember this is a company dreamed up by twenty one and twenty two year olds, not knowing that they would be explaining pig iron in the year twenty twenty six. I'm sure, and I love that for y'all so much, so you have to put yourself in this mindset. It began as a little inside joke, like wouldn't it be funny if we call the theater company that? And then someone maybe me, was like wow when we re it was in some other play, and we were like, oh, pig iron is the raw, crude iron that's the first step of getting iron out of ore of smelting, and it is useless and crude, and you use it for weight, you use it for ballast. So when you're in a theater and you see a fly system, often there are stacks of these metal plates, and those metal plates are pieces of pig iron. And we were like, well, in a way, pig iron is something crude and functional that creates a transformation, or that creates an image of flight. And I think that still connects to our work, where sometimes we want you to see how it's all, see how it's made, you know. I think for a long a lot of our plays stylistically we would like build a thing and then turn around the set or turn around the style so you could see how how the puppets were happening. Oh, this play doesn't do that. But that's the story that's buried in this play is the story about a secret world that lives underneath and that the right weirdo can find out and the right weirdo can see. What are the secret strands of the matrix that make meaning and make the city work together and make inspiration of them.
Speaker 2: I love how you keep adding references the more we talk.
Speaker 1: About I adore that too many. Right, No, that's where I thought we were going. I just I wanted to hear it from your lips and thank you for that. We've been talking about Franklin's Key, which opens at Plays and Players June eleventh and runs until the twenty eighth, So it's covering Pride month. Is that tell me what days of the week.
Speaker 4: It's mostly Tuesday through Sunday. But the schedule is a little wonky because of the FIFA schedule. We have some like off, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we decided like let's not compete with this FIFA game, or let's move earlier in the day. And because it's a play that you can bring people as young as eight too. We were like, hey, audiences don't even like to go at eight anymore.
Speaker 3: Let's do one at six.
Speaker 5: On a Friday and see if people want to come at six and have dinner afterwards, or they can take their kids.
Speaker 3: And then put them to bed.
Speaker 1: I am. Yeah, it's so weird to maybe earlier the way we kind of shifted time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the famous line from Angels in America, the theater is always at eight.
Speaker 1: Right, It is not true, not anymore.
Speaker 5: Broadway is not at eight anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Yeah, And I've been enjoying that actually because it's like you still and I'm okay with that. Well, no, just because, like you know, a your approach to being in the theater can be acted by being there a little earlier. And do you have a little more of your your night left over afterwards?
Speaker 1: I guess, but for a time, and it's getting better, but for a time your night. You couldn't go anywhere afterwards because they were all closed. But yeah, you might sign the bar, right, but the kitchen closed it.
Speaker 2: That's kind of where I was going, actually.
Speaker 1: Slowly reopening, you know, the Selca is twenty four hours on the weekends. Now, so there is a god right somewhere.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And so how would we find the schedule?
Speaker 5: Franklin's key dot com. That's the way to do it. We have a website where people can go check it out and find out everything about getting tickets and times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I love that.
Speaker 2: And if we wanted to learn more about pig Iron itself and what you guys do, where would we.
Speaker 5: Go pig iron dot org, pig iron dot org.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I Danneva. Thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 3: Thank you too, so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 1: I have really enjoyed the conversation you've been listening to.
Speaker 3: Full Circle the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I'm Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Ares. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders,