Speaker 1: Welcome to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny bringing heart, humor, and hope to everyday life. Laughter and love really do make a difference, and Erica's here to prove it. Part deep dive, part stand up for the soul, this show blends humor, heart and real talk to help you stop believing the lies that hold you back. Whether she's flying solo or chatting with guests, Erica brings her signature mix of authenticity, wit and wisdom, reminding you that growth doesn't have to be so serious. So pull up a chair, exhale, and get ready to laugh, reflect, and reconnect with the extraordinary human you already are, because this is the funny Kind where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action.
Speaker 2: Hello, Welcome to this episode. I am so glad that you're here, whether you're watching or listening. Thank you, Thank you for being with me today. Today's episode is going to be a little bit different, so let me give you a little lead in before we kind of dive into what we'll be talking about, or what I'll be talking about, because I'm all by myself today. Okay, So a few weeks ago, I attended this women in business conference here in Milwaukee hosted by Wendy Babcock, who is the founder of When Stories and she does a lot of awesome things for women. I'm a certified when Stories coach or a speaker, i should say, and it was a wonderful opportunity and everything she does is amazing Wendy Babcock, I'll share information about her, but AnyWho, So I attended her women in Business conference a couple of weeks ago, and I was one of the speakers, which was so much fun. So one of the other speakers did a session and she had us break out in two pairs with somebody that we didn't know. So I met a woman named Bobby Joe, who I had never met before. But you know how it is when you meet somebody and you're like, you know, bizzell. So we fell in love instantly and started crying as we both introduced each other. And Sandy, the person leading the session, couraged us to not just talk about our business, but kind of the heart and the mission of what we were doing and why we were doing it, and really advocate for each other as we kind of communicated. So as I started talking to Bobby Joe, I was feeling. I was just kind of sharing about my book Journey from the Ashes and what that's all about and the podcast The Funny Kind, and out of just out of nowhere, I said, you know, and I really love connecting with strangers. And I started to cry. And in that moment, I remembered I originally started this podcast, and it was to kind of go out into the community, like coffee shops or wherever. I kind of felt like I wanted to go and connect with people there and either interview them or listen to them, or just have some kind of a connection and share them with you on The Funny Kind with the intention of showing that there really are great people in the world, and there is goodness and there is kindness, contrary to what our algorithms and the Internet wants to tell us. So as I'm telling her about this love of connecting with strangers, it just really made me emotional. So at the end of the session, Sandy the speaker, is like, Hey, does anybody want to speak about what really impacted them? So Emily, if you could, Emily's our producer today, Emily, if you could just pop up that picture here we are on stage. Sandy's on the left, Bobby Joe's on the right, and I'm in the middle, sobbing, telling the story of remembering why the Funny Kind started and why we're here. So I'm telling you that because I had my first i'll call it encounter. So a couple weeks after that conference, I went to a ministry leader's retreat and my friend encouraged me to go to this retreat. He's one of the leaders of it, and he's a pastor friend of mine, Jonathan. You might know him from some other podcasts that we've some other episodes we've done here on the podcast together. And I'm not a pastor, I'm not a minister, but Jonathan encouraged me that even so, the work I'm doing is a ministry So I said, okay, fine. So I went up to this retreat that was held in ryan Lander, Wisconsin, up way up now in Wisconsin. And that is a special city, Ryanlander, because my grandfather used to have a cabin up there, and while I was too little, I don't really I don't remember going up there my older sister, my sister remembered it fondly and it was her spirit place. She my grandfather sold the cabin but she ended up connecting with the person that bought it, and her and her husband and children went up there a lot. And she always wanted me to go, but I'm a city girl and I prefer buildings over tents and air conditioning over mosquitoes. So I said no, but she had She's been passed away now for a couple of years. So being up in Rhinelander for this camp made me really feel connected to her, and I could almost hear her in the spirit saying, yeah, sure, now you go up there. But AnyWho, So I go up to Rhinelander and I'm just kind of looking at my notes here just to stay on track, because I don't want to miss anything. So I go up to ryan Lander and I go to this ministry leader's retreat, and I connect with all these amazing people doing really powerful work to help people in this world, and to serve people who need service and help people who need help, and just people who have a heart to kind of heal former versions of themselves. If that makes sense, I think that's a lot of reasons why US entrepreneurs are in business in the in the you know, not just in making a million dollars, but in really helping the world be better and helping other people heal and find their way forward. Anyways, so I have this thought still in my mind about the experience at the conference. So we're at dinner one night at the retreat and sitting there chatting, and all of a sudden, the sweetest old man no offense, came and sat next to me, and I like instantly loved him. As he started talking, I was like, Okay, is it weird if I ask him to adopt me? Like I loved him instantly, just had this just kindness and sweetness emitting from him. And he was such a good storyteller. So he started telling us all these awesome stories about how his family founded Fort Wilderness like seventy some years ago, eighty years ago or something like that. And he's been going to Fort Wilderness since he was like ten. So I can't do math, but a long time, so him and his family and just all these stories of how he met his wife there. I mean, I was just bummed that I didn't have my phone on record. As he like instantly started telling these gems of stories. It was so great. So as he's talking, I'm like, oh my gosh, I should ask him to do some kind of recording with me for the Funny Kind podcast. And in my mind, of course, the other voice is like, don't be stupid. That's awkward. He's not going to know what's dagging about. Don't be dumb. But I thought, you know what, no, So I did. After he was done talking, I asked him if you'd be willing to meet with me the next day and have this conversation. And I gave him a little bit of background, and he was so cool. He's like, absolutely, how about tomorrow after breakfast you come over to the wood shop and find me and we can have a little chit chat. So next day, I get up and I bravely walk over. You know, it's like spring day in Wisconsin, so it was forty degrees, so I had my little park on and walk over to the wood shop. So, Emily, if you could pop up the little picture of mister Ron Robertson and I in front of the wood shop, that would be awesome. So Ron's there and he's waiting for me, and he's working on a wood project, a sawing project whatever, I don't know, sawing project, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And he's making this big tower for some game that the kids are going to be playing at an upcoming camp. And he's just smiling and telling me about these kids that are coming and how great it is. And he's like, all right, well, let me put my tools down and let's go over into the trailer where we can have a little office space and sit down and chat. So we get into the trailer and he leads us in a little prayer and he just jumps right in like he was just like, no big deal, you know, sure record me talking, no problem. He wasn't nervous. He had such ease about him that it made me feel comfortable. So, Emily, if you could play the first video so that you can meet my new Bestivron.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hi, it's Ron. It's a beautiful day up here in the north Woods.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Last week I had an interesting thing happened. My daughter, who's forty, is having a birthday, so we thought, wouldn't it be nice to give her a just a gift card at a woman's store, which I don't often go into. And so I was stopped in at this woman's store to get a gift card.
Speaker 3: There was no one in there.
Speaker 4: There's a girl way in the back working on putting stuff on the counter, and then a girl at the counter. So I walked up and I said, hey, I'd like a gift card. And I noticed on her shoulder she had like a spaghetti straptop on it, and she had these very interesting tattoos, very colorful, beautiful color. And I said, wow, those are really brilliant. I said, those are really nicely done. Tell me what they mean. And she said, oh, my goodness, don't you love these tattoos. And I've learned that, you know, if you want to have a nice conversation with someone that has a tattoo, they love talking about.
Speaker 3: My skin's too old for them.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so we had a nice little talk and nobody came in the store. And you know, that morning I had prayed and said, Lord today I'm going to town. How can you use me today? You know, I could pray with somebody, maybe I could share the gospel with somebody or help somebody.
Speaker 3: You figure it out and just let me know.
Speaker 4: And so I realized, ah, this is the time right now. And so she said, well, this means my mother loved me. That's why I did this tattoo. And then she had faithful and few things out of her arms.
Speaker 3: I said, what do those mean?
Speaker 4: And she said, well, I've had some sad things happen in my life, and I want to find somebody that's faithful to me and loves me in a faithful way.
Speaker 3: And she had other things like that, and.
Speaker 4: I said, you know, I said, you missed something in your life and she said what is that? And I said, there is somebody who loves you a lot and is waiting to have a conversation with you. She said, no, nobody loves me. I said, yeah, there is somebody that loves you and really knows a lot about you. And she said, well, what are you talking about. I said, well, it's a little different, but it's Jesus, and he died for your sins and he knows all about you. He died for you, and he's been waiting to have this great conversation with you, and maybe that's why I'm here today. And she said, well, I want to know more about that. So I said, well, give me a minute. So I went out to the car and got a Bible in a little track that explains what we were talking about, and we came in. Still, nobody came into this big store, and so she took the stuff, and I said, I'd love to pray for you, and so I just reached out and grabbed her wrist so that I could have the human touch, and I prayed for her, and I prayed that God would meet her there and that she would learn more about him.
Speaker 3: She was very.
Speaker 4: Excited to know this stuff, and so I said, Lord, I hope someday to know the end of the story, if you would let me know. And I came back about ten days later just to check on her, and she had been moved to.
Speaker 3: A different store. But she's in God's hands.
Speaker 4: And when you tell somebody about Jesus, it's nice to know, but you know, it's in his hands.
Speaker 2: Said he said that he learned. You know, he didn't. So many times Christians get such a bad rap of being like, you know, so judgy and my way or the highway, and you're all a bunch of sinners if you don't believe what I believe. That is so not the vibe that Ron brings. It's so beautiful and so kind and not pretentious or aggressive in any way. And when she said nobody loves me, oh right, And for him to just go there and know that that's why he was there, and to be able to talk to her and tell her that somebody loves her. Who knows, who knows the impact that that had on her life that day? Who knows. I love how he said, you know, God, you you figure it out and just let me know. I love that he has such a willingness to just follow and not a I got it all figured out. I'm the master of my of my own destiny kind of a vibe. Oh and I my other favorite thing is when he reached out and touched her and said, you know, just to have the human touch. I know, the Pope just did a big thing about our returning to our humanity and the power of the connection that we have with each other. So just oh, I love Ron. So let's hear a little bit more from Ron. So, Emily, if you could play that second clip please, if you could summarize so many of these conversations that you've had with people, and so many lives that you see impacted because of God's love where they didn't feel like anybody loved them. How does one change from the moment of feeling abandoned or unseen to being like you came to that woman where some people would be like, oh my gosh, look at that tattoo, Oh my gosh, look at she's wearing spaghetti straps. Oh kids today, And here comes this sweet older man who just loves her as she is and speaks to her heart. How does that changed people? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, when you see people that don't fit your norm you know a lot of times we go to church, everybody is exactly the same, and you go out in the world and if their hair is is orange, if you've gone to a church where no orange hair, you go, WHOA.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: That's the part where I said, Jesus, I want to be able to see the people. Those outside trappings mean nothing. They're just expressions of who they are. That's why people love tattoobs, because they go, hey, I've got a story to tell here, look at it. And so we need to be able to look past that, you know, because God loves them. Why can't we love them? And why should we be judging people? You can when we can see them for who they are or what their needs are.
Speaker 3: And so that's a freeing thing.
Speaker 2: I just want to be like Ron, you know, to be able to see past I like, can we call them trappings?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's trapping the person, but it traps us into trying to put everybody in little you know, judge boxes. I know I do it. You know it's funny because remember the picture of the two of us were both not only don't we look related? I just want to point it out, okay, because I still want him to adapt me just ps. But we were both wearing parkas, so he had no idea that you know, I have tattoos and he didn't know that that ministered to me too. So really just love everything about him and his lack of judgment and just seeing past that and how freeing it is, how relaxing it is, how peaceful it is to just be at ease and to see people with love and not to judge people. Ooh, okay, let's watch the last little bit from ron Emily, if you could please share that last clip, tell us the three things again that are part of your everyday morning prayer.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, good morning, Lord. I'm available today, Lord, and I'd like to pray with somebody, or maybe I could help somebody with my hands, or maybe I could tell somebody about you and your love. Maybe I could witness to somebody today. I go from there, pray for my family, and.
Speaker 2: Then just things just happen, and you feel do you feel these like hey, maybe you like maybe you should go to Walmart today? Maybe you should go to this oil change place. And you're you're aware because of the way that you start your day, you have the intention to look for that that God is putting before you.
Speaker 4: I had a Bible study of like six couples and they met with us in our home and they were all different ages, and I would encourage them and say, do something radical today. And so one day Phil came back and he said, hey, I was he was a chef and he would buy He bought all these vegetables and everything, and he brought him up to the and Walmart and this girl said, how do you know how to do all that stuff? And he said, would you like to learn how to cook? And she said, well, maybe you know? And he said why don't you? And your is that your husband? She said, I have a friend I live with. He said, why don't you come to my house and I'll teach you both how to cook? And they came like seven different times and he led them both to Christ and we were having so much fun because these seven couples every week had a new story and they were excited and it had changed their outlook a little bit.
Speaker 3: So I have enjoyed this time with you and can use.
Speaker 2: The yeah for sure, thank you, yes, thank you, so good, so good, so good. I love that run inspired other people by his bravery. You know, he he has generations above him of pastors and people that would go out and talk to people like this, and so he was a little boy and he would look up and watch them do that, and so he was able to follow in their footsteps and can now go out and have these conversations with people so comfortably and kind of push past those awkward moments like can you imagine the guy at Walmart saying, would you like me to teach you to cook? Wasn't your first thought, like you creep? Right? Because we're so conditioned that way now that if someone actually reaches out in that way, we're already like thinking it's something picky. And just like with that girl who worked at the store, who knows the impact that those cooking lessons had, Who knows the ripple effect.
Speaker 4: Of that.
Speaker 2: Moment and how that went on, and how brave for that man to again just can go in a Walmart getting some food to make some dinner, and he has that conversation with somebody and pushes past that accordity to impact another person's life life. And I, you know, I talked about how Ron is such a great storyteller. There's this book that I picked up at the camp called port Lore. I tried to find a link pord online and I couldn't, So I have a link in the description for the camp. And I'm sure if you wanted to go to the camp or b get the book, I'm sure they'd ship it to you. But it is a whole little book of kind of the story of wilderness, the story of Ron and his family, and all these different little stories of people that have come to the camp and experiences that they've had there. And I mean, when you're with Ron, you want him to tell you a story. And it's just he's so sweet. So as my first like stranger connection kind of making my dream come true, I was so proud of myself that I pushed through the awkwardness and the uncertainty. I pushed past the awkwardness of putting this out there because I'm like, oh my gosh, people get so uncomfortable talking about certain things with our faith. But you know what, that's okay. We can we can handle it because God loves you. And you may not believe what Ron believes. You may not believe what I believe, but nonetheless God loves you, and you are not alone and God sees you. And I pray that every person that hears my voice, my Midwestern, strange voice, that we hear this call to see people and to go out and put our judgment down and love people the way that God loves them. Imagine if we started our day the way that Ron did, the way that Ron does, and say, Lord, how please use me today? Show me who I can help, show me who I can minister, to show me who I can see you figured out and you let me know. Imagine if we started our day that way, the world could change, the ripple effect, the impact, it could be amazing. So I'm really I was really changed by what Ron shared and inspired. And I am now now that I got that one out of the way, if you will now, I'm ready now I want to go to the next place and see who pops up and who we can talk to next on another episode of the Funny Kind, so they won't all necessarily be like that, I don't know what I don't know. That's going to figure it out and he'll let me know. So I love you. Thank you for being with me on this episode. Please share it with anybody who might need to know some love, to feel some love, to know that they're not alone and that there is hope. I love you even though I don't know you, and I see you see in the next episode. II.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny, where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action. If this episode made you laugh, think or become inspired, be sure to like, share, and tell a friend who could use a dose of heart and humor today. And don't forget to tune in to the Funny Kind right here on Transformation Talk Radio for more real talk, big laughs, and light bulb moments. Want to connect with Erica and learn more about turning your pivotal moments into powerful growth, visit your pivotalpoint dot com. Until next time, keep laughing, keep loving, and keep spreading a little bit of funny and a whole lot of kind,