Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one. Hey, I'm fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FMT.
Speaker 2: Ninety five point one.
Speaker 1: The Green Country Gardner Program with our expert Larry Glass, is brought to you by green Plum Nursery and Greenhouses United, Renolds, Kelly Banks Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, James Phillips, and Gateway First Back. Good morning and good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. I'm for our Green Country Gardener Program and Larry Glass is our expert you can talk to. Larry asked questions. He knows all kinds of things. He went to that college of knowledge called Georgia. Anyway, it is eight hundred seven four nine fifty nine thirty six.
Speaker 2: That'll get you on the ear.
Speaker 3: How are you doing there, Larry, fine? My hat is doing you very well. Look at this.
Speaker 2: It's going through a rough summer.
Speaker 3: It's boy, I tell you. It's all stiff and sweat and all that.
Speaker 2: Now, it's all stiff from frogs.
Speaker 1: And chili out there last couple of days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a little bit cold, but it's good, good working the weather. Actually, we're a lot done in the middle of some projects, a little maintenance work in the nursery and some landscape installations and things going on.
Speaker 1: Weren't you lifting rocks like a big old giant the other day?
Speaker 2: Yes, heavy ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah we uh are these big old limestone rocks, picking them out and sorting them and all that and carrying them around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man has no body fat on him whatsoever.
Speaker 3: No, no, no way muscle and yeah, I guess, but it's just what I do.
Speaker 2: What he does keeps active.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while the younger guys go, huh, he's like, come on.
Speaker 3: Go to the doctor. They just slap me on the behind and say, get out of here. You're fine.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's good to know.
Speaker 3: Anyway. In the garden.
Speaker 4: Right now, we need to be concerned about the oncoming weather.
Speaker 3: Speaks of weather. Looks like the weather man his own vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah one he wants to be on sixty during the daytime and twenty something at night.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not getting dry yet, but it will get dry. And I don't really like going into the winter cold ring rather dry. So you can turn that little knob over there that the one third one down on the right. Yeah, yeah, that one, and there you go. Then it'll rain.
Speaker 1: Maybe that one's been getting stuck on.
Speaker 4: Dry, but no, it's uh, we've the soil moisture is really good right now, so there's no problems with the soil moisture. And when the soil is moisture is good, your plants generally would do a lot better throughout the winter. So actually, I've had in the diggings, I've seen some root growth too on some plants. So they're even though they're not photo since its fanthesizing very much, they're still the rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me put on my hat flang things you're thinking now. The root development is still occurring right now at this point in time, so it's very important to either multuar trees or start maybe a watering program, which is difficult.
Speaker 4: You don't want to freeze your faucets off. So mulch is a good way to control the.
Speaker 3: Peaks and valleys and moisture content.
Speaker 4: And when you have these these new trees or plants, all the roots are just just right there in the little area, and well I watered it and everything else died.
Speaker 3: What happened to it? Well, you might have watered around it, but you have to water it for a while at least at least for three weeks or so, specifically to the plant, and do it when the hose is cool.
Speaker 4: In the summertime, Yeah, the plants leave the hose out. You come home from work, let's water the tree. You know, just two hundred and ten degrees water trade died, why o water anyway? So it's kind of a slow time really for plants also, and a good layer of mulch is always a good defense against loss in the wintertime, and lost in the wintertime generally is due to dryness. And there's no rain in the porcast. Really that some good rain, and we've got to watch it very carefully because you've got a kind of a big investment in these plants and you want to make sure that they're pretty well cared for sure. So I go around my yard, dig around a little bit, and see if check the moisture level of the soil, and then water if it need to.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: How cold is it before a mold can't do a deep diving in the middle of your front yard. I woke up this morning, I got this mole mound. They're in the front yard right now, dead center, and I'm thinking about myself. You know, that thing had to be pretty darn strong.
Speaker 3: Have you considered a dermatologist not that kind of mold.
Speaker 1: We had him for a while and then he went away for a couple of years, and all of a sudden, I'm going.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, oh I had one in my backyard. He actually found his way around the rocks, did a little tunnel, little narrow space, and I kept pushing it down, caving in his little cave, and he went away. There's nothing there.
Speaker 1: I just figure like surface and said, well, I gotta go.
Speaker 4: But most are kind of a kind of difficult because they are their mammals and they're somewhat gregarious.
Speaker 3: So getting them, you know, the moleworms would probably work. You put it inside their tunnel, and you need to know where their main tunnel is. In other words, I have a super highway and the branch out from that and then go back and forth.
Speaker 2: And this was probably down the block.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: If there's a branch off of the maine and he's gone further than that, chances are he's going to abandon that one going down. He's still looking for grub worms and uh, but I guess bolts are too bad at the thing.
Speaker 3: If the eat grubworms, yeah, be in the fronood texts. You might invest in a lawn roller.
Speaker 2: Everything.
Speaker 3: But anyway, just check it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they also eat the earth worms and any other food that might be on theerground like that. So okay, as it were, do you think they have both of napkins too clean off the food before they eat it?
Speaker 2: H they just do what the just do it?
Speaker 3: Both mold. There are some.
Speaker 4: Uh company certain town who do a mole control, so if you have a serious problem like that, you might consider that mole hold Joe. But on one thing that works pretty well is actually is a castor oil.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It irritates a little snout and they go to different areas, so that can be applied.
Speaker 3: Also, it's sort of an organic way to control them.
Speaker 1: I don't want anything harmful going on there, just want to leave. Oh yeah, well somebody else play.
Speaker 3: Just put a little sign up in front of your neighbor's yard and say you're moles came over here. Plenty more stuff over here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, but really, there are some there are some repellents and things you can use, and and the castor oil is a very good repellent because because they're irritated and they go elsewhere.
Speaker 5: Like me.
Speaker 3: And if that doesn't work, there's there's other method you can choose to. There's several minutes. One of them is actually I.
Speaker 4: Saw one that used a a twenty two caliber blank and it's a little thing that goes on the ground. You smash the tunnel down, their main tunnel down, and when you go through it again, list it up and triggers again. And I can't imagine what the neighbors will think of that at the middle of the night. Boy, what the police are coming around? What's going on? Just charge that's my mold trap?
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 4: It uses a shock wave tore theoretically get rid of the mold. But we tried to sell some of those but they didn't do very well. So uh, it's just kind of like Rube Goldberg of inventions all.
Speaker 3: Over the place for oh my really, so they're they're a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 4: So you can try several methodologies and should be able to get them under control. Hey good, So get that moult on the ground too. As the time progresses, the ground is going to get cooler. A lot of the plants we put in the ground are zoned six and seven, and if we get really really cold, it can cause some damage to the plants. And if the wrist systems are all happy, they should do just fine. So ad ad some molts to the surface and it makes you beds look nice too. I did some in my backyard last weekend Sunday.
Speaker 3: And it looks a lot better.
Speaker 4: Cleaned out all the dead annuals, tomatoes and stuff you get old shriveled up from the cold. Took them all out and raked it, raked the ground up, and took all the stuff and shredded it up and put it.
Speaker 3: Back on the ground.
Speaker 4: And then and then put some molts on the top. Looks really nice. I got my gorge drying.
Speaker 3: On it too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, the big as a barrel, as big around as you can reach in your arm.
Speaker 3: Yet I hope they do okay.
Speaker 4: But anyway, cann is also it's time to consider digging up your cannibolbs or your Lephanier bolts too.
Speaker 3: Some people I don't dig them up, but you might want to dig up some of them. Yeah, Now, what I do with my grass clippings.
Speaker 4: I have this de thatcher machine and I suck it up with a snapper mover and dump it on this one area. It's actually quite small, it's about six by ten feet. And then I mix that in with the soil and plant my cannibolts in that well. They were eight feet tall this year. Wow, big beautiful things. And I dug them up last weekend. Started out with just a few bolts. I have four big old bult traits full of cannibol.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you want some cannon bulbs, we can discuss that in the march there we get to plant them, not now though, but or actually when the ground really starts to warm up when you want to plant them.
Speaker 3: So our table around there. So they're in a cardboard box in a garage. It makes it difficult to get the groceries in and out of the house. We actually have two vehicles in our garage and there's a little bit of room in between.
Speaker 4: So anyway, they're wintering right now in the little plants of a back didn't get outside in the backyard. When the time comes, nice, big healthy bulbs, they're really they've done really well, and all the shreddings from the yard just going that area and it's really helped them grow. So there's something to say about this organic stuff, you bet so anyway, time also the elephant air bulbs trying to take them up, and if you have banana plants, time to cut them down and dig them up to kind of do the same thing.
Speaker 3: And really don't put them in a plastic bag at all. That might stimulate some.
Speaker 4: Rot So I just put mine in an open trader in a cardboard box and they did fine all winter long.
Speaker 2: Some folks overdoing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't overdo it. Don't overdo it, don't over do it. Yeah, that'll be fine.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take a quick break. We will be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 5: If you're a do it your sofer, the place you need to go and the place you need to know is United Rentals. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail. Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 6: United Rentals. Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 7: Tree Service?
Speaker 6: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 7: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 7: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: What's that number?
Speaker 8: It's nine one eight d three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 5: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 5: Remember when your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs fight.
Speaker 9: And as little kids, we thought that was funny. Well, if you've ever had bed bugs, you'll know it's not funny. And Accent Pest Control knows that bed bugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects and they're a nightmare to deal with. Bedbugs cree quite a nuisance. I can stow away in luggage and end up infesting your home. If you think you might have bedbug, call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 10: Melissa Wandle was nine months pregnant with her first child when her husband Mark was killed in a car accident. His life insurance made a huge difference for Melissa and her daughter Madison.
Speaker 11: I wasn't going to have to worry about going to work every day, leaving her in the hands of somebody else struggling day by day to get by. A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner program. Say twenty two are full free lover for you to talk to. Larry glassar expert is one eight hundred seven four nine three sixth Larry.
Speaker 4: Roses turning back now out to about eighteen to twenty four inches tall on hybrid tes and battle loads.
Speaker 3: You want to go on the knockouts, It's time to cut the in back. You don't want to wait till they start to grow and the spring. That's a lot of wasted effort on the part of the plant if you were to it in the spring. So wintertime typically it is the time to do that.
Speaker 4: It is not time to cut back spring blooming things, dog woods for Scythia's flowering quint, stuff like that, buy burnhams and everything else, because you caught off the.
Speaker 3: Blooms when you do that. So dogwood trees typically cut them back immediately after they bloom. If you need to cut one back out, why anybody want to cut.
Speaker 4: Back the dogwood tree. But I've got one I planted too close to the shed we go, and I've got a rope on it trying to pull it, make it grow away from it, but I've been unsuccessful in that. Yeah, So anyway, also, Bernie Bush, they're going to get whacked tomorrow and get my shreader all.
Speaker 3: Put up, drink, grind it all up.
Speaker 4: I try not to let stuff like that leave the premises, so try to recycle it and use it in the landscape. And it's going to get The one by the house is it's kind of out grown, it's welcome, and it's just about eight or nine feet tall and it's starting to cold fall apart, so it needs to be cut back. So now at least I'll be able to see my barbecue grill from inside.
Speaker 2: That I see if lightning.
Speaker 4: That did happen, I know threw it. Put a big hole in the ground, my heavens. But anyway, so it's time to do some heavy pruding on some things. And the burning bush are kind.
Speaker 1: Of speaking of heavy pruning, here's a man who owns eighteen cylinder heads clippers only eighteen.
Speaker 3: I thought it was thirty two cylinders.
Speaker 11: I don't know whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So it's time to cut some stuff back and kind of grind it up.
Speaker 11: You told me it's time to cut back on Thanksgiving at Thanksgiving, right, So every year in this past year did the same thing. Thanksgiving morning, I went up there and started cutting those rose bushes.
Speaker 3: Said that old turkey in the oven, and I just went to cut.
Speaker 11: I don't do anything with a turkey anyway. I just went out and started cutting them. And yeah, I actually took my tractor with my front end loader and put all the throwny bushes in there and just took it to the burn.
Speaker 2: Bottom and dump.
Speaker 11: That works.
Speaker 3: Okay, that'll work.
Speaker 11: You say Thanksgiving, and so I do it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's still kind of Thanksgiving now, so let's close enough.
Speaker 11: It's past it.
Speaker 3: You got all the way between now and Valentine's Day to do all the cutting.
Speaker 11: Oh really, now you're telling me instead of.
Speaker 3: The earliest time you can do it. Yeah. And a lot of times when you tell people to do something, I'll put it off. I'll put it off. I'll put it off and then it come June.
Speaker 11: That's one of my thoughts.
Speaker 2: You got to do that.
Speaker 11: That's one of my Thanksgiving to go out and cut those rose bushes.
Speaker 3: Usually I leave town for Thanksgiving, so I don't hear.
Speaker 11: Don't take those hedge tremmors and go to cutting them off.
Speaker 3: You need to melt in your Indian hawthorns too.
Speaker 11: You know what I'm gonna do with those Indian hawthorns. I'm gonna get straw and cover them up. Okay, what do you think good work?
Speaker 4: They don't do much photosynthesizing in the winter, so they should do Okay.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm just trying to keep them although we've had nice rains and so they should do much better with all that moisture.
Speaker 3: I have moisture. They'll do fine.
Speaker 4: But if it gets too dry, it's Oklahoma. I know you need to do something on your entry way too. I need to come over there and do a drawing for you. What are you talking about when you first come into the place.
Speaker 11: Well, I understand, what do you You did a drawing on this once and that's what.
Speaker 3: Dred years ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so what do we want to do now?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'll come up with something.
Speaker 11: You mean on the gate there?
Speaker 3: Okay, we need some help.
Speaker 11: We just replaced all the holly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we planted Carissa holly.
Speaker 11: We put those in.
Speaker 3: They did very well for a long time.
Speaker 11: No, I mean new ones because they all died. So I jerked them out and they put new ones in this last year.
Speaker 3: Oh so they're okay. Then, okay, we are now all right. Water, don't forget the water.
Speaker 11: Well, there's lots of water up there. I turned the sprinklers off finally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so anyway, winter a few sprinkler systems.
Speaker 11: I just shut the water off and turned the sprinkler system on and it's fine.
Speaker 4: I have a couple of sprinkler systems that we did that due to extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 3: We blowed them out with compressed air.
Speaker 11: Wow, how do you do that? You take one of the heads off and blow it down there at.
Speaker 4: The at the Backflilpaventure they have these little valves, a quarter inch valve on it. Threw an adapter. Yeah, quick coupler thing. Plug your air compressor into it and fired up. Hit the button and the valves work with air the same as you do with water. Oh, okay, you can shut off. You can actually use an electric valve to shut shut your air off somewhere if you want, and it blows all the water around. You haven't any problems with it at all. No freezing problems there now. Sometimes though, if if there is a situation where the pipe is a little bit shallow, say on the sleeve.
Speaker 3: Under drively or something, you do want to get that.
Speaker 11: Out there is I am gonna spray. I'm hopeful in the next week or so to spray everything with round up.
Speaker 3: Hope the wind's not out of the south.
Speaker 11: Well, I understand. I want to get it all sprayed. You know, it kills all that Those pretty purple.
Speaker 3: Flowers, yeah, they're up. Yeah, to use these.
Speaker 11: I can see them down in there. I know they're waiting.
Speaker 3: Waiting for February.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but if I get them, if I get that round Up on there, it'll kill them.
Speaker 4: Use a surfactant with that. Typically round up has us a facted in it, I know, but you have little tiny hairs on and you can put soap in there.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't bounce off.
Speaker 11: And so anyway, I'd like it, just hadn't. I thought today might be the day. But the wind's gonna be blowing so much it I mean, nothing's going to die from it.
Speaker 4: But other than if you use a fairly low pressure with a fairly larger op let, you have any.
Speaker 11: Problems, Well, you know I've got that.
Speaker 3: With the booms, three thousand pounds of pressure.
Speaker 11: Get plenty of pressure to get it out. It's not you know, it's a large area.
Speaker 3: Keep your droplet size up there and it won't be a problem.
Speaker 11: Well I'll get it done between now and Christmas. There'll be a day or two that we can go out there and start spraying. And it kills all those winter weeds and the hindbit.
Speaker 3: Well, well you're up, bring that thing up the road.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 11: I could spray your yard for you five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's covered in leaves right now. To get these looks for the neighbors, got leaves under yard, it's.
Speaker 11: I don't they'll blow off. That's look at it.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Tom? I do the same thing.
Speaker 1: No sooner than I get mine done, they blow across the street and somebody else's blows.
Speaker 2: Right into my yard.
Speaker 3: It's like react and the maples and the nature do it. They're done. But the pin oaks, man, they drop stuff all winter.
Speaker 11: Long in the in the water oaks aren't or willow oaks one two, they're still hanging on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, willow oaks actually are a elongated form of the pin oaks.
Speaker 11: So well, let nature take its course.
Speaker 3: I know these oak Ley's. I don't have an oak tree in my yard, but my whole my beds are covered in oak leaves.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 11: Anyway, So we're gonna so I got my rose bushes all cut back. I've got to go get some straw and I'll spread that out on those Indian hawthorns.
Speaker 3: It will help you. Any insulation like that would help you anyway.
Speaker 11: But do that.
Speaker 3: Don't let him get too dry.
Speaker 11: Though, and spray and spray the round up and I'll be good to go. And I could get the monkey grass and start mowing it down right now.
Speaker 3: February. It's you can't kill on seven plant, I know.
Speaker 11: But you can't kill it. I wish I could kill it, but I can't. Okay, I've tried. Good luck, monkey grass?
Speaker 3: Is it the green lit open?
Speaker 11: It's green grass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty hard.
Speaker 11: Okay, you can't kill it. I'd like to get rid of it.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 4: I actually I did the experiment with mine grass in it. Yes, I used some grass killer it could took it out, and then it came back. I used some round up and did he even phase it?
Speaker 11: What the monkey grass?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I know it won't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and the grass died, but it's back again.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I tried to say it's not a grass. Monkey grass is actually a lily.
Speaker 11: Remember, I don't know how to kill it, but.
Speaker 3: Dig it up on the way. I can't kill the stuff.
Speaker 4: I've got some over by the gate that I really like because I don't have to maintain anything.
Speaker 3: It's covering up real well.
Speaker 4: And there's a already called silver dragon which does very well in the shade, and.
Speaker 3: It covers it covers. Dis you like to do?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I just.
Speaker 11: Want you to know I got it all done.
Speaker 2: I was speaking of cutting.
Speaker 1: We need to cut a wave for a commercial right back, all right, it's Chris Reevard from great Wayforce Bank.
Speaker 2: We know life is busy.
Speaker 14: Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between. That's why we bring banking to you. Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs. Whether it's online, over the phone, or in person at your business. We're here to make banking personal again. Contact us are downtown Barbisbourg Branch at four to two South Dewey Avenue or at Gateway First dot com Gateway First Bank your gateway to personal banking that's actually personal Gateway First Bank member FDIC.
Speaker 10: The elves at green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses have been busy getting the holiday greenery, the Christmas cactus saclement and live wreaths ready for the Christmas season. And did you know that Greenthum has the area's largest selection of beautiful and healthy points setting is be sure to check out the thirty percent off tree sale. Still open seven days a week, shop Greenthum Nursery and Greenhouses this holiday season for gifts, plants, and holiday greenery Monday through Saturday, nine to five noon to five Sundays.
Speaker 15: Extinction is Forever to save America's most iconic and imperiled species from extinction. We must fight for their future, fight to save the natural lands that wildlife call home, fight to limit pollution, fight for smart development, fight for their future, and fight for ours. For so goes nature, so goes us.
Speaker 6: The Tulsa Wheelers are back for another ice melting. He shoots, he scores, don't.
Speaker 1: Alright, I guess we'll get back to that in a little bit. Right now, it's the time to get back to the Green Country Gardener program, all right here on your favorite radio station on and let me where were we.
Speaker 3: We were talking a little bit about roses.
Speaker 4: Time to trend back now about eighteen to twenty four inches on hybridse and thin out the h I cut back the climbers. When you have a climbing roads, you really don't want to cut it way back.
Speaker 3: You want to have a main.
Speaker 4: Scaffold or several main scaffolds on it and try to cut off some of the site branches just so it grows a little closer to the structure on which is attached. So the kind of story with climbers like that. So and also I'll be sure to multi the real good also and look for damage on the trunk, bore damage and rot and.
Speaker 3: Stuff on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so really so it's a good idea just to kind of tide him up a little bit. You don't to spend a lot of time.
Speaker 3: With him, but do that. Not too much to worry about bugsol.
Speaker 4: Right now, however, comes spring, though, you want to start a program, and there's systemics out there that work.
Speaker 3: Very well to help keep the insects that day. Okay, got it.
Speaker 4: So not a whole lot to do with him. Winter clean up and printing right now, Rake the leaves and drind and cow post them. I use the lawnmower or a s redder, and my snapper does a good job of vacuuming up the leaves. Anymore. I will corravel these into a pile and it can be picked up. And I don't I don't throw anything away. I grind it all up and put it on the beds. It makes great molks, it does when it's shredded like that. Its kind of a nice look to it. So when it moved into a house, to the house, I had four trees. Now I've got fourteen.
Speaker 3: Leaves there. Yeah, for Google Earth, there's the house there somewhere, and.
Speaker 4: The possum Hall is in full berry right now. Possum hall is an indigenous species. And if you look real closely actually driving down the road or we might have somebody to look for you so you don't crash. But you can see some of them the berries on them right now. They're putting on a really big show this year. The Possum House. There's a whole row with them along the hillcrest on the Silver Lake Road there. And see that the red red berries on them. Mine in the backyard so covered in berries and four things that's kind of hanging down. So they're they're in bloom right now, bloom. But they're putting on their show right now. The Possum Halls had one come up wild too, and it's turned out to be a beauty.
Speaker 3: It's got lots of berries on it.
Speaker 4: So and one in the front bed too. You just sort of come up and if it's in the right place, I let it go on. But if they ain't, they just pull it up there. So a lot of happening right now and wintertime stuff too, So try to get the leaves. I'll keep the leaves off the grass if you can. And you use them in your beds as possible. They make pretty good mulchit. They're shredded up, looks pretty nice too.
Speaker 3: Nothing. I try to make nothing go to waste of the house. Like I said, I dug out my cannibals, Yeah said, they're looking pretty good. Yeah, time to do that.
Speaker 4: Also, it's still time to divide the iris. I've got a whole bunch of them, the rebloomers. They're blooming again until you, guys, let it get cold the other day. Yeah, you kind of slowed down a little bit, but they bloom in the spring and the fall. You got a whole bunch of them there. I gotta divide because they're sort of taken over. No room for anything else really, So that's that's gonna happen here in the next few weeks too. So it is kind of a busy time of year really in the landscape. So I need to get those printing sures sharpened up.
Speaker 3: Risk to go too.
Speaker 4: So anyway, at the nursery, uh, we have points set is the traditional Christmas plant will last through Christmas season and actually beyond. It is important to select the best plant for your home environment. And there's some pointers you can follow them picking out of points set you. At this point in time, we're still in the single digits of December, the December the seventh, the day that will live in infamy exactly. It was a dark day in history. But anyway, it's a good time to get your points. Anyway, you want to choose a plant with really dark green foliage all the way down the soil line. If you see some point setters that are on sail and they got yellow leaves on them them, well that's why choose bracts or modified leaves that are completely colored over. Sometimes when you grow points setis, if you get a even even some strong moonlight will cause problems with the circadian rhythms and it won't develop all the way.
Speaker 3: So you want to make sure that the bracts are completely red all the way through and no green spots here in there. They look better that way.
Speaker 4: That's why don't with a yeah, don't get one with a lot of green around the edges. Do not choose plants with fallen or yellow leaves. They've been in a truck for a while or in a big cart full of stuff, and they they like it really.
Speaker 3: Bright and sunny.
Speaker 4: If you know the native habitat of a Point Cetia. It's Mexico. They get ten feet tall. I can't imagine great big things. And really when they bloom, the bracts are real small the native species, and they've been hybridized to make these big bracts, and bracts are called the modified leaf.
Speaker 3: Actually is what that is. It's not really a flower, but in their native habitat they get to be pretty good sized plants. They remember the Euphorbia family, as indicated by when you break them, this white sap comes out. And that's characteristic of members of the Euphorbia family, which is a very broad basis, a huge family of plants and all kinds of different things, and the primary characteristic is the white sap. We get some native species around here that real wild and you break the leaf off, and I can't remember the name of it right now, but they have the white sat that comes out too. And typically they do very well in a drier climate, in a well drained soil, not one that doesn't really harbor a whole lot of water. They do quite well.
Speaker 4: The points that I should look full of balance and attractive from all sides. I mean, it's it's been very well drown properly, in other words, far apart enough in the greenhouse where they're grown to it. They can develop all the way around real well too. The plants should be two and a half times taller than the diameter of the container.
Speaker 3: So you do this with that, and then you go up with your little span thing on your hand.
Speaker 4: And measures the pot size, and go up with it and see the ones we have a meter or exceed that specification too. At this point, don't pick ones. Pick plants that are drooping or wilting. If they're drooping and wilting, they probably have been subjected to some cold weather and they're just continue to droop and wilt. And when the inlaws come over, you have all these wilded plants. It's not good, so you have to hear about it.
Speaker 3: Don't purchase plants that are displayed in paper or plastic leaves. You get rot rot when that happens, and subsequently you get the wilting coming on too. And if they're really displayed crowded too close together, you can have some problems too when you move into the house. When you get them into the house, though, make sure they're away from a cold window or a drafty area like that with a temperature subject subjected to change rather quickly.
Speaker 4: They don't do as well in an environment like that. In other words, by the front door. Yeah, you open the door and get the mail. I'll just leave it all open for a minute. I'll hurt your points.
Speaker 3: City comes back. Although youves fall off of it, Well, what happened? They are.
Speaker 4: And uh, if you want to keep one for a long period of time, you want to have it in a sunny part of the house, a southern window or a western window, or someplace where gets some directs light.
Speaker 3: It'll do a lot better.
Speaker 4: They tend to after a while. They'll tend to drop their leaves in the shape. So but you know, if you bring it in and you have it in shade, you really don't care.
Speaker 3: You just toss it after the holidays. Those are just fine. Actually, they'll their their survivors.
Speaker 4: They can take the cold well for not the cold, but the lack of light preval for quite some time before give it up. Yeah, they say, well I've had it. A lot of people have been able to keep their points steady.
Speaker 3: Is alive. And actually the memory of the aphobia family, they're very durable, very flexible as far as environment is concerned.
Speaker 4: However, a sudden change of environment can cause some leaf drop from my parents' issues, especially in the wintertime.
Speaker 3: Try to keep it away from the hot air duct on the house.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a you know, that's a really good thing.
Speaker 3: You're not drying tobacco. You've got to plat you want to know we're not doing that.
Speaker 4: And uh, the flowers when they come out at this point, at this point in time, you look at the very tip of the of the branch where it comes out right in the middle of all the bracts, there's these little structures in the middle. Those are the actual flowers. And at this point in time, they shouldn't be open all the way. They should be somewhat closed at this point, just beginning to open. And those are the actual blooms. To the point set the bracts are modified lave. They're designed to attract insects and birds and things to pollinate. So because they have such a small bloom, so anyway they're going to have it and know they are not poisonous.
Speaker 1: Sorry, keep hearing that. Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after this two minute timeouts.
Speaker 10: The elves at Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses have been busy getting the holiday greenery, the Christmas cactus, cyclement and live wreaths ready for the Christmas season. And did you know that Green Thumb has the area's largest selection of beautiful and help the point set he is. Be sure to check out the thirty percent off tree sale. Still open seven days a week. Shop Greendum Nursery and Greenhouses this holiday season for gifts, plants and holiday greenery Monday through Saturday, nine to five noon to five Sundays.
Speaker 6: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 7: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 6: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 7: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 7: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 6: What's that number?
Speaker 8: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 3: Hi, It's Chris Reebard from Gateway First Bank.
Speaker 2: We know life is busy.
Speaker 14: Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between.
Speaker 3: That's why we bring banking to you.
Speaker 14: Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs. Whether it's online, over the phone, or in person at your business. We're here to make banking personal again. Contact us are downtown Bartosville branch at four to two South Dewey Avenue or at Gateway First dot com. Gateway First Bank, You're gateway to personal banking. That's actually personal Gateway First Bank. Remember FDIC.
Speaker 6: The Tulsa Oilers are back for another ice melting year. He shoots, he score. It's Native American Heritage Night, Saturday, December seventh, seven oh five at the Bok Center.
Speaker 5: The first one thousand Van's good to free Tulsa Oilers t shirts experienced the ultimate in vast paced entertainment.
Speaker 6: Just turnover and going the other way. Keveyord tickets now at Tulso Oilers dot com.
Speaker 5: Johan is the hard hitting post peraltine smash melt excitements.
Speaker 6: Oh I just heal that one. Ken Your tickets now at Tulsa Oilers dot com. This is your town, your team, your Taulsa Oilers hockey are black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, welcome back to the Green Jeffrey Guard in a program with your expert Larry Glass.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom.
Speaker 1: I just stay from home, and of course the phone line is the White hundreds up in fort nine three six.
Speaker 2: Let me what you got man cool.
Speaker 3: We talked about points. Set is in the house, Christmas trees in the house. Do a fresh cut when you get it home, put it in the water as soon as possible, and she'll be able to take home.
Speaker 4: Water and up become a crinkly dried up thing in the house. So that's kind of the way you do that. Make sure that when you come home you have the saucelid or the chains already to make a fresh cut on it. We used to sell Christmas trees back when people really use them a lot. We don't anymore, and we'd make a fresh cut on the end so they go home right away put it in water. So anyway, if you do get a real Christmas tree, make sure that you do that. Just the sap when it runs out. It tends to run out and plug up the The cambium layer can be but the sylum and keep it from drawing water up. So that's why you want to do a fresh cut okay, and put it up and decorate it to your heart's desire. But actually they can last quite some time if that does happen. And make sure after the dog drinks the water that you put water more water in it. So that's kind of it.
Speaker 3: With being in the half.
Speaker 4: Try to keep it away from the heater vents and all that too. And if there is a heater vent, you might put a deflector on it so it doesn't shine.
Speaker 3: Directly on the tree. It'll drive out pretty much too. Okay.
Speaker 4: A good time to plant trees in the landscape. We did quite a few of them this week, so it's a good time for that. Inventory is pretty good at the flyers right now. There's a bit of a delay in getting some trees dug up because of the weather. Remember it's really really warm and hot for a while the bam, all of a sudden it turned into winter, and you really can't dig up a tree when it's warm like that.
Speaker 3: They just don't do as well for some odd reasons.
Speaker 4: So there's a little latency on the availability of bald and burlot tree at this point. Container trees are a little bit different. We do have some that were grown in containers actually, and there's no loss to the root system as it is planted, so we have a better rate of success when we do that. And we do have a pretty good selection of trees right now. We got some oaks and maples and Chinese elms, and pistache bule, cypers, magnolia and red buds and some more.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: One plant that's of interest actually is a Chinese elm.
Speaker 2: They can be, they could be.
Speaker 3: What I like about the Chinese elm is number one. It does very well here.
Speaker 2: They thrive here.
Speaker 4: And you want to plant it in a situation where it's got plenty of room to grow and they get actually pretty good size. There's several good examples here in town that you can look at and they do very well anyway, and.
Speaker 3: Trying to remember the name of that place with you you can see it, but the names, yeah, it's the retirement home over there on a camelot.
Speaker 4: As you go into Colonial there's a beautiful example of one right there that's the Chinese home. And they make really good street trees because they're very, very tolerant of all kinds of conditions. And we're doing a landscape right now where the customer has one in his front yard, and we're doing the beds close to the house and there's a lot of Chinese home that's in there. So they do a very good job of exploiting the area for resources. So and with that in mind, they make excellent trees and are a highly variable climate. You seem to just like a troop would go through the drought real well, yeah, wet and wet pray is real well. And the cold and even the heat, they do just fine, very tolerant. And one thing I like about this plant is in the fall, the leaves are small and they're easy to clean up, not like these big oak leaves or you get the sycamore leaves the giant that you can stack them, you know, like plates in the.
Speaker 3: Closet.
Speaker 4: But anyway, it's a very small leaf and they decompose pretty quickly, so they're been good for that too. The bark on them it's kind of interesting too. It looks a bit like army camouflage, as when it's younger, it's kind of smooth, but over time it develops this interesting bark pattern on it. Also so it's a very versatile, easy to grill plant. Makes a great street tree, and because it tolerates the conditions, good shade tree. I don't know if i'd put it near a swimming pool maybe because right in peak season they might drop some but they will drop some seeds.
Speaker 2: So it just depends.
Speaker 3: It just depends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it depends on how good your filter is. There's a list of trees that I wouldn't use around the pool. That's kind of one of them. Really great myrtles are another one.
Speaker 3: Keith. They kid don't look at the pool. No, just won't work.
Speaker 2: Not a good thing.
Speaker 4: Probably the better thing around the pool will be a pistache. They have a very deep rid system and they tend to cling onto everything and during the pool season when it's over, they just kind.
Speaker 3: Of drop their leaves. But after pool season, after pool season. Yeah, so anyway, you might consider the Chinese own. There's a medium sized tree. It's not a huge thing, like.
Speaker 4: Up to forty Depending on the growing conditions too, they can have some factor in how it growth, and they do well in the worst of soils. If they make good shade trees, they do very well, and most everybody's are so also as it grows, you want to trim it up a little bit, just so the light can get down to the grass, because it will the shade of it will create a bald spot as it will there's a lot of trees and be a ugly surf.
Speaker 3: It's dirt, you know, So keep it trimmed up.
Speaker 4: And when it say trim it up, you stand at the trunk of the tree and do a sixty degree angle, and that would be the amount of light that bermutographs, the minimal amount of light it needs. I have it in my front yard a maple tree and a pistache tree, and between the two it's rather shady, but I keep them grass and very tall, and the permutographs although it's kind of thin, and.
Speaker 3: With me, it's still there there from the street it looks okay, yeah, all you care about turbopel. Yeah, but it's it's drawing in the shade and doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be back. I gave you the wrong time earlier, but we'll be back after this two minute, forty second time out.
Speaker 12: Shortly after Charles Lindberg's transatlantic flight to Europe, the dule Pineapple Company sponsored a race from San Francisco to Honolu Lulu in nineteen twenty seven. Lindberg refused to fly in it, noting he couldn't miss the continent of Europe, but he's sure as heck could miss Hawaii. Frank Phillips saw the race as a great opportunity to advertise his new Phillips Aviation fuel. Frank found his pilot, a Hollywood stunt pilot by the name of Arthur Goebels, and named his plane the Woolarock in honor of the ranch. Eight planes took off from San Francisco on August sixteenth, nineteen twenty seven, and only two planes finished the race. The flight took over twenty six hours and the winner was the Woolarock. Charles Lindbergh described it as the greatest event in air history. For the next year, that plane barnstormed the country advertising Philip's fuel, and finally returned to Woollarock. Mister Phillips instructed his staff to build a stone hanger for the airplane, which they did, and he stored the plane there. As he collected more and more art and artifacts, he stored a lot of it in that hangar until he finally had to enlarge it. Today, you know that airplane is the first room of the museum as you walk out of the dome room. Next time you visit, remember what that room's initial purpose was back in nineteen twenty eight. That same airplane hangs proudly today in the museum at Wollarock, where magic still happens every day. Welcome home to Wollarock.
Speaker 16: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heartcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings, our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash St John Hart.
Speaker 6: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 13: Clag Magnetics from Roman's outdoor Power cover more ground with the past durable Cabota sidekit featuring a gas pirate inge delivers a top speed of forty miles an hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo and the strength to haul what needs hauling. All back by a two year, one thousand hour warning.
Speaker 3: Get zero down, zero.
Speaker 13: Percent financing for fifty four months or saved up to two thousand dollars now through twelve thirty one twenty four See us or go to CABOTAUSA dot com for more information. Get more done right with Cabota sidekick, Roman's Outdoor Power, your local Commota dealer Highway seventy five and Ladlesville Independence for online at Okikovota dot com.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program with Larry Glass.
Speaker 2: You're expert, Larry. What's on the agenda?
Speaker 4: Probably a lot of people warning, yeh yeah, that they're wondering about pruning.
Speaker 3: What do I do? When do I prune? And that really depends on the species. Now, some plants, like the dogwood, you don't want.
Speaker 4: To prune it now, but craip myrtle as you can, they're not going to really wake up for a while. So when pruiting or crape myrtle, some people do what they call CP murder. And what I like to do is if you want a good full bloom on it and from top to the bottom. You stagger the cuts. You don't just whack it straight.
Speaker 3: Across the top.
Speaker 4: You cut some of them loath, some of them high, and that way you'll get a good stratification of blooms.
Speaker 3: So that's one thing you might consider doing.
Speaker 4: Another thing, look at your crape myrtle too, and see if you've had crate myrtle scale. Crate myrtle scale is a real bad problem with crapes, and they do it will negatively affect the plant to the point where it just kind of draws all the life out of it and kills it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can't happen.
Speaker 4: I've seen people with dead crape myrtles and they say, yeah, scale, Well I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Well, they're really hard to see. They're very small, little insect.
Speaker 4: And if by product of the of the scale insect is honeydew, that's what it's called. That's what I do at home all the time, honey that exactly. But anyway, honeydew is a sweet substance that they exude, and it in doing so, when it comes out of the insect and lands on the stem, if you will, it moves around a little bit and then molds grows on it, and the stems.
Speaker 3: Of the crape myrtle are characteristically black in color.
Speaker 4: As opposed to the normal gray or even even a light brown color on the crape myrtle. And that's the sign that you have a scale on it. Also right now, there's not a whole lot you can do about the scale. However, comes spring as the time before they leave out, it's time to put down amidiculprid, which is a systemic insecticide, and you want to put it down as the tree begins to grow early in the spring or late in the spring, depending on the weather. And that then it draws the insect site up and it kills the insect front within it's very shape.
Speaker 3: To use it, mixed it up in a five gallon bucket and pour it on the ground. But if you do it right now at this point in time, it might not do too much good.
Speaker 4: It does last about a year in the plant, but the and that simply is not drawing up the stuff the stuff anyway for it to grow. So that's why we want to do it in the spring, so the plant can draw it up and be part of the sap of the tree and the insect gobbles it up and then it stops brain function in the insect. It's a nicotinoid type insecticide, and it's systemic in other words, that the molecule is small enough to go into the plant and be absorbed and taken care of that way. So so you do want to trim the crack myrtles up pretty much all winter along and be good time for that.
Speaker 3: But observe it and see how it looks. And some of the bigger branches, the big klobby branches, are all dried out, and crack them my and just cut them out too, And it wouldn't hurt it to cut it back rather significantly and they usually grow back real nicely too.
Speaker 4: So anyway, so pruning the crape myrtles is one thing you can do right now boxwood, just a little bit of trimming right now.
Speaker 3: You don't want to spurrow some growth.
Speaker 4: It does get warm now here, and golly as a nursery, we've got a lot of stuff going on, a lot of points set us and Christmas gifts and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: The wind times are clanging around every time you open the door, so especially when the wind blows. So anyway you come by the nursery and check it out. We've got a great selection of house plants that are easy to grow, easy to maintain, and set up an appointment for me to come out look at you already. If you got any problems, I can look at it and give you some ideas. Anyway, tom is time to keep that shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 1: Truity Credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first.
Speaker 11: Experienced the credit union difference today, true easy, You