Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games or.
Speaker 1: Not, taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life. We saw your It depends on how much you want.
Speaker 2: And now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew da Important There are full hearts. Hey, everybody, welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davinportant. Thank you so much for joining me for another episode. We are cruising right along, heading towards the middle of July, and you know what that means. In just a couple of weeks, training camps will be open. We'll be looking at real life football. I can't believe it, but I'm super stoked by it. And I'm so stoked about all the content that we have this summer coming out, not just the Auction Brief, but things on the Patreon, the Salary Cap Summit, all the stuff that we got going on the summer. It's an awesome summer already and we have a ton to look forward to. So thank you so much for being here for the journey. And I want to say that today, I want to go on a little bit of a journey before we start, because I think that I tend to lose that a little bit when I start really just baring down and saying, okay, let's get right to the info. But I think that this show is what it is, and one of the things I've been neglecting a little bit lately is just that journey, that whole winding our way through how we're supposed to be thinking about this stuff. And I'm not talking about a whole episode of just the Dow of auctions. I realized I was heavy. I get it. I think it's important. I think mindset's super important in auctions, so I spend a whole episode on it. So I'm not telling you to forget it, but I'm saying I want to take a little bit of journey before we jump right into it. And I love today's topic. As you see in the caption, it's six things that nobody tells you about auctions. Six things nobody tells you about auctions. And I shouldn't say nobody, because this guy what has two thumbs and tells you everything you need to know about auctions, this guy, right, But I'm serious. I don't see these topics being handled anywhere in the fantasy football industry, and I understand that auctions are just a critically underserved part of the market. You heard Joe Dolan talking a little bit about his draft plan. Now that's a guy that I would read his draft plan front to back and read it a couple times and make sure that you internalize it, because Joe knows what he's doing. But I'll tell you, I see some articles out there in the industry about auctions and they're not good. They're just not they're not. Therefore, people who've never done an auction, they're like, oh crap, I got to read about this because I'm going to my auction in two hours.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I hope you listen to my man Festa at the end of the year. That's about forty five minutes getting ready for your auction. That's going to be the last episode of the summer. But there's just some things that people don't talk about, and there's these articles that are just not helping you. And that's what I want to talk about today. Six things nobody tells you about auctions. And I want to wind our way there a little bit. I got a nice comment on Twitter this week and I, ah, I'm gonna forget the name. I'm really sorry, but somebody said, hey, quit talking about the time and about needing to be done, and he's right, Like, I bring it up almost every episode, but I'm I'm really working on it because I think it's important to get you information in this day and age where long podcasts are an ethema. I just think that it's important to get you that information. But I want to take a little journey today. And that comment really kind of freed me up because I thought to myself, you know, he's a little bit He's right, I've been stressing it too much, and it's important to have those goals and try to keep things brief and help you in as quick a time as possible, but it's not more important and then getting you where you need to be to dominate your auction. So that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna take a small, little journey, little meandering talk about poker. I'm gonna relate it to the law and the consequences of breaking the law. Yeah, we're gonna weave that baby together, and it's gonna lead us to our topic today. Six things nobody tells you about auctions.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: We got the Salary Cap Summit coming up in early August. That's the second, third, and fourth of August. That's seven pm every night. The first two nights are a live auction where I'm gonna be commentating the entire time, two plus hours, sometimes almost three hours of live commentary about the auction. And then the third night we'll have some of the best auction minds in the business. We've got Dave Richard from CBS, Scott Pianowski from Yahoo, Jim Coventry from Roda Wire. Those are just the guys that are confirmed. I've got a lot more invites out, so I hope you'll join us there for the Salary Cap Summit. That's gonna be on my YouTube page. I keep getting questions about that, but you can find my YouTube page. But I'll be tweeting out that link over and over all. Right, you can find me on Twitter at Drew Davenport FF, on Patreon at the Fantasy Football Lawyer. Don't forget, it's just four bucks a month. Nobody in the business is putting out targeted auction content that's unique and helpful and actionable. Like we are over at the Patreon network. Just four bucks a month. It's a bargain.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: That's it for the preliminary Let's get into it and let's start talking about some stuff that's going to help you for your auctions. So let's start today by talking about a little poker story that's going to lead us into the topic. And the poker story, I call it little because it is kind of a short story, but it came on the heels of my episode about the dow of auctions, about letting things be what they are, and a lot of today's topic is about that. It's about letting things be what they are, about that illusion of control we need to get rid of. But we're not going down the same road as the dow auctions. We're going to take it differently because we're going to talk about things that people should tell you, that you should be aware of that's going to help settle you when you get into the auction room. But the beginning of the story is the poker story. And I washed a hand unfold. I'm not involved in this hand, and the board was Ace King Queen, and then there was a nine on the turn and a pot develops between three people. It's a three way pot to the turn. Ace King Queen nine is the board. There's a guy who bets the turn, and a guy raises the turn, and the third guy sits there and tanks for a while and finally decides that he's going to fold, and the original raiser calls that ends up getting just it's either checked down or it was a really small bet and call on the river. But the guy who had made the raise on the turn, it turns out, had nothing. He just said absolutely nothing. Now, this is a really irrational move on this guy's part. He's in a three way pot with an Ace King Queen flop and he's in there raising the turn against two opponents on a super unfriendly board. This is not a nine to sixth deuce board where he can push off some hands like Ace King or Ace Queen or pocket sevens. This guy's in there just going crazy with a board of you know cards that people play, I mean, everybody plays those cards that everything matches those cards. So it's a horrible play. And the reason I say this is because the guy who ended up folding on the turn turns out that he had Ace Queen the board was Ace King Queen nine, and he folded the urn with Ace Queen, and I'm going to tell you right now that's brutal, but I think it's the right fold because he doesn't know dipshit number two is raising with air on the turn and it turns out that the guy who bet and called had Ace nine, so he had aces up as well. It's just that Ace Queen had a better aces up. The problem is you can't account for what that guy is doing. And we're gonna talk about this in a little bit about expecting the unexpected. We've hit on it lightly before, we're gonna go into it a little bit today. But you can't account for that stuff. The illusion of control you have at the poker table in the auction room is just that it's an illusion because that guy jumping in the he never should have been in that pot. Ace Queen should have won a nice pot against age nine. Instead he folds, and again I say, that's the right fold. If he's on the turn getting this resistance, somebody could have Ace King, somebody could have Jack ten, somebody could have a set of nines like this is not a bad fold for Mace Queen, but he had to fold because of a moron doing something idiotic in the middle of the pot. And the reason I tell the story is that oftentimes auctions are that thing. It's that illusion of control, like if we can just meld this thing into what we want it to be. And so I don't want to go down that road again, because we did this for a whole episode about the Dow auctions. But the reason I want to start with this story today is because it kind of leads me into I was thinking about something the other day when I had a case and somebody was talking about, Oh, well, I just I didn't even really do anything, and the thing was it was a fairly bad I'm not going to get into details here. Obviously, that's not something I want to do. I'm not betraying anyone's attorney client privilege or anything. I just don't want to get in the habit of talking specifics about cases on here. I just think that's a bad idea and unprofessional. But the bottom line is, this guy says to me that he didn't really do anything, yet he had caused a substantial risk of physical harm to a couple other people. And the thing is his original decision wasn't that bad, but it ended up being a fairly serious case. And I relate this back to the poker story because you know, we have this illusion of control, and this guy thought that he had, you know, some control in this moment. It turned out really bad. And what it made me think of, believe it or not, was an auto draft where people make these huge mistakes and they kind of don't realize how big a mistakes they are. And I think one of the things that is something that maybe I should just I should talk about it more. I assume everyone knows about par sheets and we're not going to get into that today, and maybe I'll do about five or ten minutes about that on another episode. But par sheets are the way that we don't lose control. And what I started thinking about with this guy in this case was that the way you know, have you ever, you know, you've heard the phrase that like, hey, if a law is unjust, we should break it. You know, we should feel free to break it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The thing that a lot of people don't follow that up with is you're still going to face consequences if you break a law, even if that law is unjust. And this guy's particular case, he had to face consequences even if the men's ray, as they say in law talk, but men's ray just means the state of mind. Even if his state of mind wasn't committing a crime that series, it still faces consequences because of how outsized the results were. And that's one of those things that an auction drafts. We really have to watch and we really have to pay attention to some of those things that I'm saying that all of the people out there aren't giving you, and they're not giving you enough of it. But the way that we walk the balance beam, the way that we succeed in these auctions, is by letting go of that control and realizing that things are what they are and that if you step out of line too far, you're going to pay the consequences, regardless of whether you intended to or not. Auctions are the ultimate arbiter of truth, because if you step out of line, you're going to pay. And the way you avoid that is you know, to have.
Speaker 1: Your par sheet.
Speaker 2: And we're going to talk about six ways to avoid that today, and that's why I titled it six things people don't tell you about auctions, because what they don't tell you is that the further you step out of line, the greater the consequences are. Just like this guy, and you may not intend to, but if you don't pay attention to the way that we are fighting that, if you don't pay attention to the way to hold that off, then you will make outsized mistakes that will lead to consequences and you'll walk out of that draft with a crappy team, or you'll walk out of that draft with a mediocre team or a team that's, hey, maybe it's a six and a half when it could have been a nine. Maybe it's a seven and a half when it could have been a ten. You will suffer those consequences the more you get out of line. And I love that guy's decision with the Ace Queen because he did not get out of line. And in some circumstances he's going to lose money, but I think generally it's a positive EV play. And he's a strong, smart player.
Speaker 1: I know the guy.
Speaker 2: I've played poker with him many times, strong, smart, tight rock. This guy knows what he's doing long term. That's positive EV. And that's what I'm going to tell you about auctions, and that's how we're going to start today that sometimes being rigid and sometimes walking that straight and narrow with your par sheets is the way to success in auctions. So let's talk about those six things that nobody tells you about auctions auction talk. I want to lead into today's topic by talking about number one, which I just reference, the rigidity of auctions. And this is something I referenced. By the way, go check out my appearance on JJ zach Reeson's Perspective podcast. I thought it was a really great hour and five minutes, I think, and we really dove deep into some auction stuff. I think you'll enjoy that. Again, that's late Round Perspectives with JJ zachar Reason. But one of the things I pointed out to him is something that I'm going to leave the show off with today. The number one thing is that rigidity could actually be a good thing when it comes to auctions, and nobody tells you that every auction article I ever see. You must be flexible when you get into your auction room. Don't be afraid to do something different than what you had planned, because that is the beauty of auctions. Yeah, you want to be flexible, absolutely, you want to be flexible. But I want to make an important distinction here that nobody makes when they talk about auctions, that rigidity of purpose prior to the draft is what leads to your ability to be flexible once you're.
Speaker 1: In the draft.
Speaker 2: Let me say that again, rigidity of purpose before the draft is what leads to your ability to be flexible while you're in the draft. The planning you do, we're going to talk about that in a little bit. The framework that you have both in mindset and in your nuts and bolts preparation about what guys you're targeting, what prices you like, what you're going to do in your par sheet, the way you're going to attack the draft, how you're going to weave your way through the draft. Early on, I'm going to try this a quarter of the way through. I want to be doing this a half the way through. I want to be here three quarters of the way through. I want to be here that attack. It all matters. And so I really believe that rigidity of purpose is what allows the flexibility, and that goes back to the par sheets first and foremost. That everybody says, and I don't even discuss this with industry folks. I'm just here to tell you. Do you ever hear me talk about par sheets with my guests? I don't because I believe that most analysts, and this is not a character flaw, this is confidence. Most analysts believe they can just go into an auction room and they don't need that stuff. They don't need to have numbers written down, they don't need the exact numbers. They think, now that limits me, and that very well could be true. But number one, I'd say, you're not Jim Coventry and you're not JJ Zacharica, and neither am I. So that's that's number one. But number two, I mean it's more than that. It's more than that because fantasy football analysts are very confident in their ability to handle these things. And that's okay. So they tend to say, hey, maybe that's going to make me a little too rigid. Okay, that's fine for them, but for us. For me, I use par sheets. I want you to use them. I believe there's a correlation to success there, and so that rigidity allows the flexibility in the draft, first of all, and then I also believe when I say the rigidity of purpose and the framework, part of that's record keeping. I know people don't want to hear that, but part of that's record keeping. You just have to know cold exactly what everybody has. And when I say rigidity of purpose, I'm talking about that attack and that framework that we come up with before the draft and the way that we're.
Speaker 1: Going to walk through the draft.
Speaker 2: And sometimes that's going to go wrong, but you know what it's going to go wrong, and you're going to go, oh, I was going to attack running back here, but Hardy got one because I had such a deal earlier, and so no can move.
Speaker 1: I can go a different way.
Speaker 2: But if you're just floating through the draft without that attack, without that purpose, without that framework, that's what you're gonna do. You're gonna float through and things are going to happen to you rather than you dictated. And two or three summers ago, I really got on a kick about forcing people's hands, and I want to talk about that a little bit more this summer, not today, but I want you to keep that in the back of your mind, that making people uncomfortable and forcing people's hands is how you do it. And the way that you approach things is by staying focused, by staying rigid in your focus of how you want to attack the auction. Don't just abandon your plan two rounds in because things aren't going perfect. Look at your plan and say, okay, now, how do we adjust?
Speaker 1: How do I.
Speaker 2: Still drive towards my goals?
Speaker 1: If you never have the goals in the first place, how are you going to do that? Right?
Speaker 2: How are you going to do that? So the rigidity of preparation, of laying your framework of your attack, you're planning, all that stuff allows you to be flexible and nimble when you get in the draft. I really believe that that's point number one, that something that nobody tells you about auctions, rigidity is important, and it leads to your flexibility and it leads to the next level elite rosters.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: The second thing that nobody tells you about auctions is a new term for this summer. It's something new I want to introduce, and that is that there is such a thing called a tweener. All right, do we know the phrase tweener? Somebody who's a little bit in between a guy who can't really be a shooting guard. He's not really a small forward. He's a little bit of a you know what, I mean, there are guys in sports that are just tweeners. They are players who aren't really one thing and they aren't really another. And why am I introducing this phrase this year? You're not going to be shocked at all. But I'm bringing up Jackson Smith and Jigua again because you know me, I'm a bit of a psycho. I'm a bit of a nut job. And when there's something like that, do you remember how nuts I was about Stefan Diggs when he went to Buffalo and I missed it. Well, that's how nuts I am about JASN. I actually caught it this time, and I actually ended up with him. And I want to know why I didn't see it ahead of time, and I want to be able to put a name to what happened with JSN. And so it keeps grinding in my brain. I just like I work on it in the background. It's almost like I'm putting a program on in the background and my brain is just going to work on it until I figure out what it is. And I think I hit on something big a couple of days ago. And that's the tweenier concept. And the reason that JSN play worked last year was because there are guys who I believe don't qualify to be considered as a certain type of player, a certain level of player, not type level of player, but yet you don't really want them as a lower level player. You don't think they really deserve to be a higher level. It's like, I don't really know what to do with this guy, and that's why JSN fell last year. And I want you to think of the phrase, well, I don't really want him as my blank. Well, I don't really want him as my wide receiver one. Well I don't really want him as my RB one. I don't really want him as my RB two. And I want you to think of that phrase, because there are certain types of players that people see as good players. But for example, with JSN last summer, it was, well, I don't really see him as my wide receiver one. He's not my building block. That's why he was cheaper. But he wasn't cheap enough to be a true wide receiver two price. So what ended up happening was he fell through the cracks. And when I say the cracks, I mean he fell in that weird range between wide receiver two and wide receiver one. He didn't go for forty two, but he didn't go for twenty eight. He was in that weird range where he was sort of a tweener. He was in between a wide receiver one and two. And so what ends up happening in an auction is something that doesn't happen in a snake. And that's why this is the number two thing that nobody tells you about auctions, is that those tweeners can make your roster explode. And that's what happened with JSN last summer. And why is that, Well, it's because you can do one of two things. You can either draft him as a wide receiver one in your auction and then you've saved money by paying less for that wide receiver one. Or you can draft him as your wide receiver two and you have a dynamite wide receiver two and pay up for a wide receiver one. Now I know you've spent more money there, but the whole point is your wide receiver two then performs like a wide receiver one. JSN was high wide receiver two. Price that performed like a high wide receiver one. Now we're not always going to find that guy, and I want to tell you I'm going to give you some of my ideas today. Some guys that I'm looking at as tweeners, because I know you guys like that. But I want to stress to you that this might be a bit of a feudal exercise. So I don't want to spend a bunch of time breaking these guys down like I did last week, like he has this many points per game and this coaching.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to give you a list here of guys and a brief comment because I really believe that this is determined by what happens in your draft room. You don't know which guys are going to qualify as tweeners really till you get in there. Because if you'd asked me last summer, just jasn qualify as a tweener, well know, he really doesn't because he's supposed to be a wide receiver. One I wouldn't have I wouldn't have picked up on that. So I'm trying to name some guys because now that I'm onto the concept, I want to start trying to predict these tweeners.
Speaker 1: I think that's important.
Speaker 2: But but but but it's really going to be room dependent, and that's that's not a hedge. I promise you it's it's not, because there are going to be some rooms that see certain players differently and you're gonna go, oh my god, I can have this guy as a wide receiver three, but he's a really nice top end wide receiver two. And you get that wide receiver price because that wide receiver three price, because everyone sees them as a twiner, Like, I'm not paying that for my wide receiver three. But that's the beauty of auctions. You can't do that in a serpentine. It's only there's only a small subset of players that are available to you, and more often than not, they have to slot in where they slot in. It doesn't matter, you can't. There's nothing you can do about that. Auctions you can take advantage of that. So let's talk a little bit about some tweeners here, because I really believe that nobody talks about this stuff when it comes to auctions, and I believe a lot of your positive ev is in finding these things and finding these players, all right, your positive expected value comes from finding these edges and auctions that aren't available in a snake draft. So let's first talk about quarterback and the only guy that I have for you right now that's popping out is Kyler Murray. And I just want to tell you how thrilled I am to say that I think that Kyler Murray is back as a fantasy option on the menu. That is to say, if you don't know me, I'm not thrilled at all, because I think he generally kind of sucks. All right, he's a mediocre NFL quarterback. But I think you can kind of say the same thing about Sam Darnold. He landed with Kevin O'Connell and some good receivers and had a great year. He landed in Seattle with some good receivers and a good offensive mine and had a good year. I think you can elevate mediocre quarterbacks. I don't think Darnald. I wouldn't necessarily call him mediocre, but I wouldn't call him top shelf. He's like, what fourteenth best or something, you know what I mean, Like thirteenth best, Like, I don't know, maybe that's not mediocre, Maybe that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: But my point with.
Speaker 2: Kyler Murray is he's landing in the best offensive situation. I think maybe of his entire career. He has two really good receivers and they just signed a third one. He's got a good tight end, he's got a strong offensive coach who is a excellent quarterback coach. And I'm just going to say it right now, Murray as QB seventeen is a bit stupid. I mean, the guy has rushing potential, he's in a great situation. It's the best situation of his career. QB seventeen stupid. I have to think that's a reflection of the fact that people aren't sure that he's going to win the job. But let me tell you something, he's winning the job. Kevin O'Connell, believe it or not. I think he's a great coach, but I think he's coaching for his job this year. If they don't look pretty good, he's coaching for his job. You know, I'm not a JJ McCarthy guy. I took a chance on him in my homekeeper league and really thought they would give him more time to develop. But they panicked a little bit. And there's a point I want to make here that I think is a pretty important point that I kind of referenced early in the summer. I don't know if you've ever heard a coach talk about a guy that they brought in in the draft, like, hey, we've got this guy in the second round and we're really excited about him, and then they just barely play, or the coach says, yeah, he's got a lot of growth, he's got a lot of things he needs to do. You know, that's coach speak for this guy sucks. Okay, because in the off season coaches pump player up relentlessly, and if they're not saying something nice, they're saying that guy sucks. Point being, when coaches are around players every day at practice, they know and have you ever heard coach say, yeah, boy, we got this guy in and we realized immediately he couldn't play. That happens a lot. It happens a lot more than we realize. These guys suddenly get every day access to a player and their habits and their abilities and the way they go about things. All of a sudden, the coach goes, oh, man, we messed up. This guy sucks and there's nothing they can do about it because they just drafted him in the second round or late first round or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I think there's something to that.
Speaker 2: I liken it to the Ken Walker Zach Sharboney thing, and that is that they didn't want to make Ken Walker a bellcow because they didn't want it to be heard. And when you're around a player every day, you know what the strengths of those players are. Maybe Walker is a garbage goal line back now. I think that he had some success late last year when Charbonay was hurt. But all I want to point out is that coaches know, and I'm pretty sure that the coach in Minnesota knows that JJ McCarthy doesn't have it. I'm pretty sure that's why we're seeing Kyler Murray because it's a puzzling move otherwise. So anyway, I think that Kyler Murray makes a good tweiner because the guy's QB seventeen, and nobody wants to go in there and say, yeah, he's my QB one, So they're like, eah, i'd rather have him as a QB two. And so you're not going to get him for a dollar or two, but you're also not gonna have to pay eight dollars or nine dollars or ten dollars because nobody wants to make him their QB one. So I think he's a perfect tweener. I think that you can get him as your QB one, but you're just gonna have to spend three six bucks on him. And that's okay because if he performs like a top eight quarterback, that's a.
Speaker 1: Bargain, all right.
Speaker 2: Running back tweeners a couple of guys I'm looking at David Montgomery and DeAndre Swift. They're both at the bottom of RB two territory right now, so nobody really values them as a strong RB two and I think there's a chance now Swift I'm less bullished on, but I do think that he's a lock to be mid RB two. I don't think comment on is specially not think he's just suddenly going to take over. Swift is gonna be plenty involved. It's the same thing that wasn't Detroit. I think when I was gonna come in there and you know, take some goal on stuff and be paying the butt for Swift. But they're both being drafted at the bottom of RB two territory, and a lot of people are saying that I don't really want to pay that for my RB two. Great, great, because I'll pay that and make my RB three, or I'll pay that as my RB two cheap RB two money and I'm gonna get top of the RB two production or mid RB two production, whatever the case may be. They look like some tweeers. Another a couple of guys that are down the list, Jordan Mason and Jonathan Brooks. These are guys that I don't want to spend a lot of money on, but that I think have some asymmetric upside. These aren't asymmetric plays, but I think they could be tweeners because I think people aren't going to want to spend on these two guys when they do have the potential to deliver numbers that are far outweighing you know what their current view is the bottom of RB four territory. People are kind of like, Eah, these guys aren't really RB three's when in fact that's actually what they could be for your team. At wide receiver. I got three different guys. Nico Collins is interesting to me as a tweener because I believe that when we go into these drafts, I'm really thinking that we're not going to see low forties prices for Nico, So I think he could be in a JSN situation, not that he's gonna have one hundred and twenty billion targets. Just that I think it could be in a JSN situation where you can get him as a wide receiver two because people aren't going to want to pay that price for him. They're not going to want to pay thirty eight thirty six for the wide receiver too. But if you can budget that in and grab Nico as a wide receiver two, man, that's dynamite stuff. But the two guys that I think are most interesting is DeVante Smith and George Pickens. Now I've already talked about Smith, and I just want to say about George Pickens. You're not going to see a lot of peop people who want to pay wide receiver one price for George Pickens. They're a little bit concerned. And look, I'm going to eat crow on my opinion on Pickens, and it has nothing to do with his talent whatsoever. Last year my problem was, is this guy going to be a head case when Cedee Lamb gets all the targets. Well it turns out that was bad analysis because George Pickens earned the targets, not Cdee Lamb. I shouldn't say not, but they split them up. Pickens is very good and he was able to earn those targets despite playing opposite Cede Lamb. So that's where I was wrong in that analysis that I'm eating Crow here. But Pickens is super interesting to me because I don't think people want to pay wide receiver one prices even though he was a wide receiver one last year. So I think we have a bit of a JSN situation. And hey, George Pickens, He's not going to set the world on fire if Lamb stays healthy all year. But A if Lamb gets hurt, you've got a top five receiver. And B I think the more he assimilates into that offense and earns Dak Prescott's trust, I think the more he's the big play guy who gets the goal line looks and who could absolutely explode. And if you can make him your wide receiver two, I love that. Another quick plug for a wide receiver three I believe is a Mecca Buca. He's going near the bottom of wide receiver two territory, and again a lot of people aren't going to want to pay what they should pay to have him as a wide receiver three. But that's how I build my draft plan. I can make him a wide receiver three, and he can perform like a wide receiver two. I think that he makes a great tweener because there is a little bit of consternation there about what his price should be. The final guy that I think makes a good tweener is Dalton Kincaid. If you know me, you know that I've spent years telling everyone not to draft Dalton Kinkay, that I'm not a fan, but I keep looking at his numbers, and his efficiency numbers are really strong. Now, I understand he doesn't get on the field enough to have those efficiency numbers lead to a lot of great counting stats, and that's what we do in fantasy football, So I understand that's a concern. But he's going as tight end thirteen right now. And the thing is with tweeners, what you're looking for is you're looking for guys that people don't want to make their top guy, and so the price falls off a cliff. So nobody wants to make Kincaid their wide receiver, excuse me, their tight end one. They want to make him their tight end two. And that's where you can find the value because if you believe that he can perform like a top twelve tight end. Then you can get him for a couple bucks, and you don't have to be slavish to the idea of him being one or two dollars. You can say, all right, I can pay three or four make him your backup and get another three or four dollars tight end. Or hell, how many times do you go out of a draft and you have three or four bucks left? Just use that on Dalton Cancaid as your backup tight end. I think that he makes a perfect tweener. All right, let's roll into point number three. This is going to be a really simple one. The third thing that nobody tells you about auctions is that the speed of an auction can be surprising. Now, I doubt that anybody out there is listening and has never done one. But if you're in one and you're thinking to yourself, oh my gosh, how do I do all this? How can you think about all this stuff while it's going on? I don't disagree with you. That's a significant problem. The speed of auctions can be surprising. How do we nerf the speed so we can succeed?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Number one, you're not going to want to hear it, but it's preparation it's preparation. The more you prepare, the more things slow down for you. The second thing is your sheets, your tear sheet, your par sheet, your nomination sheet. If you're one of those people who's like, yeah, I don't know that I need a nomination sheet, but you get in a draft and things are moving pretty quick, you need a nomination sheet.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 2: They're important if you're struggling to keep up in a draft, it's really important to have that because it does the thinking for you. You've already done the thinking ahead of time about what guys are going to be important to nominate at what points in the draft. And the last thing I have to tell you is you just got to have some software you just do. It's okay to sit there and do it by hand, but I think you're going to find that that's a pretty big pain in the butt. You can make mistakes pretty easy, you can take the money off the wrong team. It's just you got to have some software.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I know, if you're doing it online, it keeps it for you. But the speed of auctions is relentless. It's relentless, and more often than not, when you're in an online auction, you're going to get behind at some point because you're going to be thinking about something or what do I do next? Or how do I record this? Or what team just got that. The speed of auctions is relentless. Nobody tells you about that. You need to be prepared. The more prepared you are, the more dialed in your sheets, are, your par sheets, your tiar sheets, your nomination sheets, and your software. The more dialed in you are with all that stuff, the better you're going to be able to handle the speed of the auction. All right, that's point number three. I told you that was a quick one. Let's move on to point number four. Point number four. The number fourth thing nobody tells you about auctions is that people are people. I wasn't gonna let you get out of this episode without a stupid tagline, people are people. This one's important despite the dumb tagline. Don't get lost in the idiocy. The fourth thing nobody tells you about auctions is that people are going to be people, and so you have to prepare for that eventuality. And this goes back to the opening of today's show about the guy folding the ace queen. People are going to act against their self interest and they're going to do it a lot. And the reason I went over the dial of auctions, and the reason I want you to have that good mindset is that you can't expect people to be normal, all right. And if you go in with that mindset that you don't expect normalcy, that it's just going to go, oh a little bit nuts, it's going to be a little bit crazy. It's going to be a little bit different than you thought, or a lot different. If you go into it with that mindset, then you're going to be so much more successful. You're going to be so far ahead of the game because I think, whether you believe it or not, you're going to spend a lot of time gnashing your teeth and wailing about what's going on in the auction because it's not going the way you want it to go. And that's just a waste of time, energy and thought. You are clouding your brain with those thoughts. So I think you can make it a more simple thing by realizing that people are people. And there's two important points I want to make about people being people. Besides the fact that they're going to act against their self interest a lot, there's something that you need to Remember when you go into an auction draft room and you've been listening to the auction Brief all summer, or you've been reading my content on Patreon, or reading my articles of football guys, or you've been following.
Speaker 1: Me for four or five years.
Speaker 2: You're learning all this stuff even if you've only done five of them in your life. But you're following all the stuff that I tell you to do on the auction Brief. You're going to go into your draft room and you're going to be a better auction drafter than just about anybody in the room. Okay, And that's not the point of the comment follow me here, Okay, if you're the best one in the room, don't forget about the converse of that when it comes to other people. And what is the converse of that that, by definition, the moves that people make in an auction room are going to be less logical than your moves. They're going to be weaker moves, they're going to be less logical, they're going to have less behind them, less thought behind them. And that's by definition, because if you're the best or your second best, even in a twelve team, or if you're third best, that still means there's eight people behind, nine people behind you. Maths hard. There's nine people behind you who are going to do more irrational things than you are, right, because you're better than them. That's the definition of it. So they're not going to go in there and just be straight laced and perfect and buttoned up and logical and make display in that play and you'll be able to predict it. Why because if they did that, they'd be better than you, right, And you're better than them because you've listened to the show. So don't forget that. That's a super important point. People are people, and they're going to act in a way that's worse than you. Their game is worse than you. Don't get frustrated by expected, don't fight against it. Flow with it your water. You're flowing around the obstacles. You're not trying to beat the obstacle down. And the second point I want to make and wrap up this particular section about people are people, don't forget that almost everybody you come up against will not be trying to hide their intentions. This is very different from my poker takes, because most often I say you can equate a lot of things in poker that you can to the auction room. This is the opposite of that. In a poker room, people are trying to fool you, they're trying to do things that are different. In an auction draft room, almost nobody is doing that. And I'm gonna tell you, I think except for the top top, top top top of the auction ability pool, nobody's doing that. Maybe if you're playing in a thousand dollars high stakes league that you're drafting on Labor Day in Vegas, you're gonna have some of that. But even there, I'm gonna submit to you just the only the best players are trying to shield their intentions from you. Refer back to point number three, which is how fast this thing goes.
Speaker 1: People are. They're just they're not doing it.
Speaker 2: They're not sitting over there going I'm going to bid like this, I'm going to hold my hand like this, I'm gonna move my head like this. You know, I was told last summer that I have a specific tell when I'm in or out on somebody. I'm not gonna lay that out here, but I will say that I'm definitely going to be throwing out some false tells with that summer. Now that everybody knows about it. If you do know about it, you're going to see a false tell there. But how many people are doing that? How many people are doing that? Almost nobody. So you can figure out what they're doing fairly easily, and they're gonna throw you some curveballs and do weird stuff. But most of the time you're gonna be able to just tell what they're doing because they're not there to shield that. They're not there to throw out false toes, they're not there to do wacky, weird things.
Speaker 1: Some people are the.
Speaker 2: Very top top top of the business, maybe the very best ones in your home league, maybe, but not very often and not very consistently, so you don't have to worry about that too much. People are people, all right. That's point number four. People are people, all right. Point number five, let's move on to that one. The fifth thing that nobody tells you about auctions is that your edge is found in doing things in an auction that you can can't do in snake drafts. Your edge is in finding ways that you can build a roster in an auction that aren't available to you in a snake We've talked about these things many times before. We don't really have to go into depth about this because this is pretty straightforward stuff here, but I think that we underestimate how important that is. We're not just trying to go into the auction and say I'm going to pay this much for my first round pick, and this much for my second round pick, and this much for my third round pick, all the way down to Okay, now it's in the twelfth round and I'm going to pay one dollar. That's not what we're doing here. Auctions are not linear. They're not supposed to be. You're supposed to be attacking angles that allow you to have a better auction roster than you ever could in a snake draft. That's the entire point. Okay, let's not forget that. That's the entire point. That's where our edge exists. And here's a couple different edges I want you to pay attention to. Number one is mid round tight end, and I had this conversation with with JJ zach Reeson and I've had it here before. But it's all about opportunity cost. And I think a lot of this is about opportunity cost. A lot of auction edges spring from the fact that you don't have to have the same cost in an auction room that you do in a serpentine draft. And what do I mean by that, Well, mid round tight ends are the poster child for this, because I have no desire to draft Sam Laporta in the eighth round. I just I'm not doing that. There are too many running backs and wide receivers or I can be grabbing my quarterback or whatever to do that. And the history of mid round tight ends isn't great. But you can get these guys so much cheaper in an auction where it really doesn't impact your ability to get impact players at other spots on your roster. So mid round tight ends a big one for me. If I can pay six or eight bucks for Sam Laporta, then I'm cool with that. But I'm not cool dropping that eighth round pick or ninth round pick and a snake. That's just something I don't Donumber one. Number two is loading up one position group.
Speaker 1: Most of the time.
Speaker 2: I talk about this with wide receiver twos, you just can't get in a draft like you can go in the draft and draft you know in the third, fourth and fifth round and get a bunch of different receivers. But by definition, you're starting to dip down into the wide receiver threes. The further on you get in the Serpentine draft, you don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 1: In auctions.
Speaker 2: You can continue to relentlessly pound that wide receiver two tier and just send up with like.
Speaker 1: Five of them.
Speaker 2: You can't do that in an auction, or excuse me, you can't do that in a snake. You can only do that in an auction. Pound those position groups and get multiple guys from certain spots in your tiers, and not only does that give you more outs and the ability to hit on one of those players, but it also gives you more depth that you can't have in a snake. You just can't do it. And I like to think about it with the wide receiver twos. But it's also our running back thing this year as well. There's a ton of rando running backs that are veterans that people aren't that excited about that you can just scattershot and just okay, give me Rico Dwell, and give me Javonte Williams, and give me Jalen Warren, and give me David Montgomery, and give me all these rando dudes who previously fell into the running back dead zone. You don't care about that. The running back dead zone is a serpentine concept, and you don't give a crap about that, because in auctions, you can put all these guys on your team, and you can do it fairly cheaply, because that's how we find the edge. Again, it's maybe Rico Daddell sucks, but then I have Jalen Warren, or maybe Jalen Warren sucks, but I have DeAndre Swift, or maybe he sucks, but I have David mccarth. Look, this can only be done in auctions. Another thing I want to talk about is multiple quarterbacks that are similar. There's nothing I hate more than having to take my quarterback in the eighth round and then turn around and double tap in the ninth, double tap in the tenth. I hate that because the opportunity cost is so large there that you're missing out on players that you need at other positions. But in an auction it's so easy to get multiple similar quarterbacks and do it for like less than six bucks. You think I can't go in there and get bo Nix and Trevor Lawrence for eight bucks tomorrow, of course I can. Of course I can I can go in there and get Brock Perty and Dak Prescock Prescott, and I can get them.
Speaker 1: For nine bucks.
Speaker 2: You can't do that in a snake. And the edge that we're finding in auction drafts is doing things that snakes don't allow you to do. So think about it that in your preparation. Where can I find the edge for my roster in my league. I'm not telling you these three things I gave you the mid round tight end, loading up at one position, group, multiple similar qbs. I'm not saying that's going to work in every room. These are examples, and you should think about, Hey, in my draft, this is how it's going to go. So here's where I can attack it, and here's where I can put it together a team that I wouldn't be able to do again. It's these these players. Otherwise, all right, that's number five. That's the fifth thing that nobody tells you about auctions. Let's wrap it up with my favorite one. I'd save the best of last. Here's number six. The sixth thing that nobody tells you about auctions is that successful auction drafters don't do anything fancy. Successful auction drafters do not make fancy moves. This is something that poker players when they start out, and auction drafters when they start out, that's what they think the name of the game is. They think they're Mel Gibson sitting at the poker table and they're going to pull a move on everybody on every hand.
Speaker 1: And people go.
Speaker 2: Into an auction draft room and they think, I'm just gonna roll in there and get three top twenty guys and all of a sudden they've spent one hundred and sixty bucks, or I'm gonna bid this guy out. He's wearing a bang jersey, and then they end up with Joe Burrow for eighteen bucks when they already have their quarterback for twelve. People roll into these things and think that if you make these sweet fancy moves all the time, you're gonna win, and you're gonna be the hero of this draft. You're gonna be the hero at the poker table. That is not how successful auction drafters do it. Successful auction drafters make the following moves. They don't force things. We do not force things. Tell yourself this before you go into the draft. I'm gonna get a little bit irritated right now. Because it can already see people doing it, and I've done it in the past. I'm not here, you know. I've said this before. I'm gonna say it again. I'm not here to beat you over the head with these things because you suck. I'm here to tell you that I suck at these things in the past, and I've noticed them about myself, and that's why we're talking about it here. So this is a collective we Okay, we can't force things. If you think a guy's gon to be a value and you call him out and he's not a value, stop bidden. Just because you want the guy doesn't mean that's what you should be doing. Don't tell yourself you have to have a certain player.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I have a couple of leagues where they draft later in the off season, and I'll go through a bunch of drafts and I'll be like, man, I don't have this guy very many spots. I really kind of want to have this guy. And then I go into those drafts late in the season or late in the draft season, and I force it and I overpay for those players just because I want to have them. Okay, that's fine. Whatever, it's Fantasy football is supposed to be fun. But that's not a positive EV play. That's a negative EV play. Now you can swallow the EV if you want, but that's a negative EV play.
Speaker 1: So don't force it.
Speaker 2: Don't tell yourself, I gotta have this guy, I'm gonna do this. I have to do this, because that's when you make big mistakes. And what I talked about earlier is the bigger mistake you make, the bigger consequence there is. And if you end up buying your wide receiver one, then and you can't help it that somebody's about to get Pook and the Cooper for forty nine and you say fifty and you end up with them, Well, you've just made a big mistake, not because Pook is not worth it for fifty bucks, but because you hadn't planned to spend that. You are planned to spend twenty six. Now you spend double and you're in trouble. Now that consequences get bigger the bigger mistake you make. And so that's what happens when you force things. Okay, the number one thing that that successful auction drafters don't do to be fancy is they don't force things. Secondly, the not fancy move. The solid move is to nominate guys that you want early in the draft, Guys that you want to target. Nobody is going to tell you this. Okay, this is why I labeled today's topic. Nobody's going to tell you this about auctions. Nominate the guys that you want, that you're targeting, Nominate them early. Okay, you're not.
Speaker 1: Now. The exception is, I don't want you.
Speaker 2: To nominate like your favorite light late round sleeper, because if he's one or two or three dollars late in the draft, he might go for nine if you nominate him too early, if you go two deep down the tear sheet, then the player will be more expensive than they would be later.
Speaker 1: In the draft.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about your top level targets. What are your cornerstones. Let's say, hey, I'm getting a top three receiver, our top five receiver.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, of course we're not gonna force it, but we're gonna try that tactic early. So when it gets to you and you say I want a top five receiver, nominate the guy that you want.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Jamar Chase isn't staying on the board till the ninth round, and you can get him for forty bucks instead of sixty five. That ain't happen. People nominate the top guys. So nominate your guys early. Figure out who your targets are, nominate them early, and get them out there. That's the move that successful auction drafters make. You're not fancy about it, get your targets out there, get them out early.
Speaker 1: You know, boring.
Speaker 2: I know it's not fancy, it's not fun. You can't go on Twitter and brag about it. But boring wins, all right. Ramandre Stevenson's boring, but he wins for people. Jalen Warren, he's boring. He wins for people, all right. Wins make simple, repeatable effective plays over and over and over, simple repeatable effective plays, over and over and over. And I'm going to advocate for one of those plays right now. And I don't usually do this, but I'm going to advocate for market price enforcing. I've told you in general that I never want you just to bid somebody up wildly because you think you can bid them up. Now, if you think you're really good at auctions and you have a really good read on that person, go for it. That is part of the game, and it's something I want you to develop, but I don't think you need to force that. However, I do think it's incredibly important that you don't miss opportunities to market price and force. Now, you have to be careful. I'm not telling you not to be careful. You got to be careful. But you cannot let Garrett Wilson go for eighteen bucks just because everybody hates them. You gotta say nineteen now. Again, this is all like situation dependent. You can't say nineteen bucks if you're sitting on thirty one and you need to watch players like.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: But point is, don't miss the opportunities that are there that I would argue that's not an opportunity.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't be bidding there.
Speaker 2: The opportunities are the ones that you have to be looking out for. You cannot let deals go consistently over and over and over just because you're waiting on other guys. Waiting on players to get nominated is just the worst thing you can do. Early in the draft, get your guys out there, and then when other people nominate players that are going too cheap. You can't miss the market price enforcing.
Speaker 1: You just can't.
Speaker 2: And I understand that sometimes you're gonna get stuck with those guys, but that's the whole game. Being quote unquote stuck isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you get quote unquote stuck with the guy because you bid and he was far too cheap, you got a great deal there. Now, if you just don't want the player at all, then don't bid. You shouldn't be making the play, but you should be trying to market price and force every chance you get. And if you do that over and over and over and over throughout the draft, you can sometimes pull fifty seventy five one hundred bus out of that room. Can you imagine pulling half of a salary cap out of that room? Just because you're not going to let people get too good of a deal.
Speaker 1: You have to do this.
Speaker 2: It's so important. It's not fancy. It's just straight economics. It's straight how much did this guy go for? This is way too cheap. I have to bid. That ain't fancy. That's just knowing your stuff. That's knowing those values cold before you go into that draft. What do you consider this guy's value to be? And I'm not going to let somebody get too big of a deal. That's going to hurt me in the long run. Just remember, successful auction drafters don't make fancy moves. We make repeatable, simple, effective plays over and over and over, and the lack of mistakes has an effective weight on the rest of the room that's going to make your auction draft better than everybody in that room. All right, So the sixth thing nobody tells you about is that successful auction drafters don't do anything fancy. I love that way to end because we're trying to be as solid as possible and build that EV.
Speaker 1: Don't forget. It's not something I've talked about this summer, but stacking.
Speaker 2: Those plays each one gives you a part of a percent of EV. This move gave me point two percent. This move gave me one point one, This move gave me point seven. Pretty soon, you've increased the EV of your roster by eleven percent by making these simple, repeatable plays. Thank you so much for joining me for this week. For the six things that nobody tells you about auctions, Just remember rigidity of purpose leads to flexibility in your draft room. Number two thing nobody tells you about auctions that there are tweeners that you can get on your roster that are going to make your roster explode. Number three, the speed of auctions can be surprising, and the more you prepare and the more you are buttoned up and ready to go, you can handle the relentless space. Number four. People are people going to do things against self interest. It's natural to see people making illogical plays. Be ready for it and expect it. Number five. Find your edge in doing things that you can do in an auction that you can't do in a snake. And finally, like I just got done talking about successful auction drafters, don't make fancy moves. They make simple, solid, repeatable, effective plays over and over and over, and the weight of that makes you a championship auction drafter. All right, folks, thank you so much for listening to my six things nobody tells you about auctions. Don't forget about the salary Cap summit. I hope I'm going to be seeing some of you out in Canton in just a couple of weeks. I hope you enjoyed the conversation with Joe Dolan from Fantasy Points. Dude is awesome. He knows his stuff and he knows auctions. So if you haven't listened to it yet, get over there and listen to that conversation with Joe Dolan. Don't forget Sunday, July twelfth, that's in a couple of days after you get this episode. I'll have my first serious x M show on the Fantasy Points Weekend from three to five on Sundays. We're going to be three to five on Sundays through July and August. When the season starts, we're going to be six to eight, all right, So get over there to serious and listen to us on Sunday, Drake and I starting our serious show with Fantasy Points Weekend, all right. You can find me on Twitter at drew to having port ff on the Fantasy Football Lawyer Patreon network. Just four bucks a month to get the best auction content in the business. Thank you so much for joining me. Thank you so much for being a part of this journey. I love talking to you all. It's my favorite time of the week. Thanks for being here, everybody. The Auction Brief is adjourned and I am out. The Auction Brief is adjourn that'll do it for this week's episode.
Speaker 1: See you next time on the Auction briefn