Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in our series called fifty Days of Faith. In these lessons, Rick looks into God's word to discover the true meaning of faith and explore ways we can strengthen it. First, if you'd like to help the kids you know learn God's word, then stay with us, because in just a few minutes we're going to tell you about God's big plans for you an easy to understand storybook Bible by Pastor Rick Warren. You can take a sneak peek right now by going to Pastorick dot com while you listen to today's message.
Speaker 2: If you want, you can just text the.
Speaker 1: Word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now. Here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called following God's Directions.
Speaker 3: One day a Roman army officer came to Jesus and he said, I have a servant who's very ill. In fact, he's paralyzed and he's suffering in bed. And Jesus said, well, I'll just go to your house and heal him. And the Roman centurion said, oh, no, Lord, you don't need to do that. Said, I understand authority, and I'm not worthy for you to come to my house. But I know this obedience and authority thing. I am a captain in the army. I make commands to my soldiers and they obey immediately.
Speaker 2: And I make.
Speaker 3: Commands to my servants and they obey me immediately. They do whatever I tell them to do. So I understand authority and obedience. You don't need to come to my house, Jesus, If you just say the word from right here, I'm sure he'll be healed instantly.
Speaker 2: Jesus looked at that man, and he.
Speaker 3: Said, this is the greatest faith I've ever seen in Israel, the greatest faith. Why because faith and obedience are interlocked. When you trust someone, you do what they say. If you don't do what somebody tells you to do, it means you don't trust them.
Speaker 2: Now, God has.
Speaker 3: Linked faith and obedience together so that all of the promises of God are conditioned upon you following the directions that he gives you. Notice the first verse on the top of your outline Deuteronomy five point thirty three. Follow all the directions the Lord has given you, then life will go well for you. How many of you would like to have life go well for you? Can I see your hands?
Speaker 2: That's what I thought.
Speaker 3: And God has made some incredible promises in his word about obedience, and he gets very very specific. In fact, there were so many promises about obedience in God's word I couldn't even listen them all. I had to just pick and choose a few there on the front of your outline. Notice what God promises if we obey him. God blesses those who obey him. The Bible says, God saves those who obey him. God watches over those who obey him. The Lord takes care of those who obey him. You will be helped. God helps those who obey him. God gives us what we ask for because we obey his commands. The Bible says that if you follow God's directions, you will be happy. You will live longer, you will lack nothing good, you will have.
Speaker 2: All that you need.
Speaker 3: The Bible says, if you obey and follow God's instructions, that you will live in perfect freedom. You will have greater wisdom, you will dwell in security and peace. He's promised you will be prosperous and successful. You will be great in the Kingdom of heaven, and you will be rewarded for eternity. Now, just in case this didn't sink in, I listed a few other references for you to look up. Obedience is the premise behind all of the promises. God gives us his promises by grace, but we enjoy is promises when we follow the directions. We follow the instructions. Now, based on all of these promises, and they're pretty incredible. Is God a liar?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: God says I will do these things in your life if you follow my directions.
Speaker 2: The Manual for Life.
Speaker 3: Based on that, let me ask you some very pointed questions, and I'd like for you to verbally respond to this. Based on this, do you think that following God's direction? Do you think that obeying God is a.
Speaker 2: Good idea or a bad idea? Yeah, a good idea.
Speaker 3: Do you think it is smart or is it stupid to disobey something God's told you to do? Yeah, it's stupid, It's dumb. I heard a smart over there. We're going to do a recount right now. Okay, So that's when here's the third question. When I don't understand something that God tells me to do. When I don't understand a command, will it be more beneficial to me if I do it anyway? Or if I do what I think is best? Yeah, do it anyway. You see, God often gives us rules and commands in his word. And they're not suggestions, folks, they're commands. God often gives us commands in his word, but he doesn't explain why he wants you to do them on faith. And sometimes they sound unfair. They sound like they're meant to cramp your style, that God is some kind of killjoy that is limiting you.
Speaker 2: For instance, the Bible is very clear.
Speaker 3: It says no sex outside of marriage, real clear about that. Over and over, sex is for husbands and wives in the bonds of marriage. The Bible says, when somebody hurts you, you are to forgive them. The Bible says you're to take the first ten percent and tie it back to God. Of all you make, the Bible says you are to when people do evil to you, you are to do good back to them.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot of these commands, they don't make sense from.
Speaker 3: A human standpoint, but God says to it it's a matter of trust. So then the big question is will I be blessed by obeying what God is said to do even when I don't understand it, or by making up my own set of rules because I know more than God.
Speaker 2: There's no question about that.
Speaker 3: Obedience is a demonstration of faith, and obedience unlocks the key to all of God's blessings in your life. God promises to reward you if you'll just follow his direction.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: The Bible says children are a gift from the Lord. Do you have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, or kids in your neighborhood that need to know God loves them and has a good plan for their lives. You can help them get closer to God by encouraging them to read God's word. That's why we're so excited to tell you about a very special resource just for kids. Called God's Big Plans for Me. It's a storybook Bible by Pastor Rick Warren. This two hundred and twenty three page hardcover children's book includes forty well loved Bible stories to help kids engage with God's word. Each Bible story has an introduction from Pastor Wreck that helps young readers understand the Word of God and a closing thought with a practical step boys and girls can take to discover God's Big Plans for them. Their eyes will light up as they turn the beautifully illustrated pages and really start to get what God wants to say to their young hearts and minds. God's Big Plans for Me is so much more than just a book filled with cute pictures of Bible characters. It's a fun and effective way to introduce children to God's everlasting truth. This book makes a great gift. You'll want to get a copy for every child in your life. And today, when you give a gift to help Pastor Rick's Daily Hope take the certain Hope of Jesus Christ around the world, We'll send you a copy of God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible to say things just call eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four, or go to Pastorick dot com to get your very own copy of God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible. If you choose to become a partner in Hope with an automated monthly giving, we'll also send you a very special welcome gift to show our appreciation. That's Pastororick dot com. Or you can call eight hundred at six hundred at five zero zero four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on.
Speaker 1: Now back to more from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 3: The Bible says you are too When people do evil to you, you are to do.
Speaker 2: Good back to them.
Speaker 3: Now, a lot of these commands, they don't make sense from a human standpoint, but God says to it it's a matter of trust. So then the big question is will I be blessed by obeying what God is said to do even when I don't understand it, or by making up my own set of rules because I know more than God.
Speaker 2: There's no question about that.
Speaker 3: Obedience is a demonstration of faith, and obedience unlocks the key to all of.
Speaker 2: God's blessings in your life.
Speaker 3: God promises to reward you if you'll just follow his directions. So, as your pastor, I don't want you to miss out on all the promises that are right there on the front of that outline. I don't want you to miss out on that. God will bless you and save you and watch over you and take care of you and help you, and you'll be happy, and you'll live longer, and you'll lack nothing, and you'll have what you need, and you'll have perfect freedom. And God will prosper you and make you successful, and you'll be great in the Kingdom of Heaven, and you'll be warded. I don't want you to miss out on that. So today I want us to look at how to receive the promises of God. What you must do in order to appropriate all these things in your life. And the Bible is very clear you do four things on the back of your outline how to resis God's promises. When you know what God wants you to do, when you know what the will of God is, you do four things. Number One, obey God immediately immediately. You don't delay, you don't wait, you don't procrastinate. You don't put it off, you don't make excuses, you don't drag your feet.
Speaker 2: You just do it.
Speaker 3: You do it now, you don't do it later. You do it now. So I'm one nineteen verse thirty two. I will quickly obey your commands without delay. I hurry to obey your commands. If there's any time in life you really ought to hurry, it's when God.
Speaker 2: Tells you to do something you shouldn't delay on that you hurry.
Speaker 3: You obey God immediately, whether you feel like it or not, whether you understand it or not, you just do it immediately. You don't have to understand something to benefit from it. I don't understand how heavy planes fly in the air, but I fly all the time. Understand how computers work, but I share like email. I don't understand internal combustion, but I've driven a car for years. You don't have to understand something to enjoy it to benefit from it.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Understand God's commands in order to obey them and benefit from them. Every parent knows that when you'll tell a kid something, sometimes.
Speaker 2: They'll say, well, why should I do that? And you say, because I said so.
Speaker 3: Now behind those five words you are actually saying because your little pe brain isn't big enough to understand it. And one day you'll understand real reality. But right now, trust me, I know better than you, and I'm doing this for your own goods, So you do it.
Speaker 2: All that's behind because I say so.
Speaker 3: And God sometimes tells you to do something, you say why, and he says, because I say so, because I know more than you, and I don't owe you an explanation. One day you're going to understand, but you just do it. It is pretty audacious to question the creator.
Speaker 2: Of the universe. Are you sure God?
Speaker 3: He said, well, what if I don't have a good attitude, you still obey? You're telling me rick to obey God with a bad attitude. Absolutely, it's far better than disobedience. I mean, how about your parents. If you were to say, kids, I want you all to go clean your rooms, but you don't have to do it until you have an enthusiastic attitude, they're.
Speaker 2: Never going to do it.
Speaker 3: They're just never gonna do it, So you do it in spite of it. I mean, I've adults do this all the time. I can't tell you a many adults I've talked to you who said I don't feel like forgiving and reconciling with my spouse, or I don't feel like breaking off this affair that I know is wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, so what, who cares what you feel?
Speaker 3: You do the right thing anyway. Only immature people go by their feelings. Mature people do the right thing in spite of their feelings. You're very emotionally immature if you live by your feelings.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? You do the right thing.
Speaker 3: You obey God immediately in spite of how you feel, and then after you have obeyed, then you can work on your sorry attitude that'll come along later. Feelings will come later. You do the right thing because you know it's the right thing to do, and you know what your feelings will play catch up.
Speaker 2: Now, here's the principle in the Bible.
Speaker 3: Anytime God gives a stated command without a specific date, like on the first of every week, do this, he doesn't give it.
Speaker 2: He means to do it now. Now.
Speaker 3: For instance, when Kay calls the Warren family to dinner, she says come to dinner at six o'clock, she means at six o'clock. If she says come to dinner at five thirty, she means five thirty. If she says come to dinner, that means what now, right now? Not in ten minutes, It means now, you obey immediately.
Speaker 2: Now. Kids kids are born knowing how.
Speaker 3: To play the game of delayed obedience because they're playing their games or video or whatever. And whenever you say come to dinner, the first game they play is play deaf. I get here you. Oh, I didn't hear you. I didn't hear you say that. And you know what, we do that all the time with God. Oh I can't hear you. God, he's talking loud and clear. You I get la la la, la la la. I'm not listening. No no, no, no, no, you know, and put I'm not listening, and you're trying to pretend that you're deaf when God has said I'm talking to you, and you know I'm talking to you.
Speaker 2: Like he is right now.
Speaker 3: And then the second game we play is imagine mom is talking to somebody else. Oh, you meant me come to dinner. Well, who do you think I meant the little fairy in the corner? Now, no, he says, oh, well I surely. And we do this with God. Oh, God, this verse here in the Bible. Surely that's not for me in my circumstance. No, that's got to be for somebody a long time ago and a long way away. Surely, God, you're not talking to me, are you? In order to delay obedience? Now, when we delay obedience, it means we're questioning God.
Speaker 2: Do you really know what's best? God? I mean, I know you said this in the Bible, but do you really know what's best? And do you really have what's best for me? And mind? Surely you didn't mean me when you said that.
Speaker 3: You know what, I've discovered that many adults use counseling to delay obedience. They know the right thing to do, but they don't want to do it, so they just keep going to counsel and going on to counsel, thinking, well, if I just keep talking about it, then I don't have to do what I know is the right thing to do, to confess, to repent, to forgive, to be forgiven, and on and on. I mean, you talk to somebody say how long are you be accountsing? Ninety nine years? Well, I could have saved you ninety eight of them if you'd just done the right thing the first year, and you're using that to delay what you know is the right thing to do. Question, What if God responded to your needs at the same speed at which you obey him. Ooh, see, when we get in trouble, we want God's help immediately.
Speaker 2: God, I need your help now, and I need it fast.
Speaker 3: How about if that's it, Well, I'll think about it. I'll get around to it one of these days. But right now I'm a little busy, and I intend to help you. But it'll it'll be, it'll be a while. If you want the blessings of God, all the ones I just read on the front of this outline, you want those in your life, you must obey God immediately. When he tells you something to do, you follow the instructions. Would you write this down? Delayed obedience is disobedience. Delayed obedience is disobedience. Now, if you want all of the blessings of God in your life, number two, you must also obey him completely, not just instantly or immediately, but completely. You don't say, well, I'll shake this one but not that one. And I like this command, but I don't like that one, And I'm going to follow this one, but I'm not gonna follow that one. You need to not be partially obedient, but totally obedient. Pal one nineteen says, Lord, you gave your orders to be obeyed completely. Now in order to do this, to obey God completely, you need to understand two very important truths. Number one is that God's standard of right and wrong has never changed. It never has, it never will. If if something was wrong six thousand years ago, it's still today. If it was right ten thousand years ago, it's still right today. If lying was wrong in the Ten Commandments, it's still wrong today. Because truth doesn't change. Culture change, popular opinion changes. Lots of things change, but truth does not change. It is eternal forever, and what's right is right and what is wrong is wrong, regardless of what the popular opinion polls say. The second thing you need to understand is that God has a bigger perspective than you. He sees things you can't see, and you trying to see from God's perspective would be like an aunt trying to see from your perspective.
Speaker 2: It ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You're not capable of seeing it all like God sees it all, So you need to trust him. Look at this next verse. Your job is not to decide whether God's law is right or wrong, but to obey it.
Speaker 2: Let me just figure it out. So God, I'm going to obey it.
Speaker 3: If you know what the oldest temptation is, it's not lest it's not lying, it's not gluttony. The oldest temptation is the temptation to doubt God's word. When Satan came to Eve in the Garden of Eden, his first temptation was, did God really say you should need of this tree? I know, you know you can eat of everything else in the Guardian, but you're not to eat of this stree? Did God really say that? And every time you're tempted, he's still using that same line on you in your conscience. Yeah, I know the Bible says, don't do this, but did God really say is it really for me?
Speaker 2: And?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know the Bible says I'm supposed to do this, but really does that apply in the twenty first century? Did God really it's to doubt God's word?
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Now, if you've missed any part of this message, or if you just like some more information about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry. Visit Pastor Rick dot com where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two R's in the middle dot com, and be sure to sign up for Rick's free daily email devotional while you're there. Rick will be right back to close out our time today. But first, the Bible says children are a gift from the Lord. Do you have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, or kids in the neighborhood that need to know God loves them and has a good plan for their lives. Well, you can help get them closer to God by encouraging them to read God's Word. That's why we're so excited to tell you about God's big plans for me. Storybook Bible. It's a very special resource you'll want to give every kid that God has placed in your life. Here's Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 5: In Matthew nineteen fourteen, Jesus said, let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of God belong to such as these. How do we bring children to Jesus, Well, the best way is to read the Bible with them. You know, when my kids were growing up, I could always see their excitement about Jesus grow every time we read stories from the Bible together. Now I see that same excitement when I read the Bible with my grandchildren. I love teaching them at such an early age that God created them for a purpose, that they are not an accident, that they matter to God, and that He has a special plan for their lives. So I'm excited to tell you that I've teamed up with a very gifted children's illustrator to prepare a new Bible for children. It's called God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible. Your kids will learn from God's word in ways that are easy to understand, and long after they learned to read on their own, this storybook Bible is going to keep on encouraging them to trust in God's promises. The God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible contains four well loved Bible stories that will help your kids learn how to apply God's word to their lives. Each story is beautifully illustrated, it's incredible, and includes an introduction from me that it encourages them to discover God's great purpose for them. It's fun, it's effective, it's entertaining, it's challenging, it's captivating. It's a great way to introduce children to God's eternal truths. Now, I'll send you this Bible for Children, God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible, just as a way of saying thanks. When you give a gift to Daily Hope today, we depend on your gifts. I want you to have this as my thank you gift to you. I hope you'll get a copy for all the children in your life, your kids, your grandchildren, nieces, nephews, even children you know in your neighborhood. They'll all love this. We've had nothing but one hundred percent great feedback from people who have seen the God's Big Plans for Me Storybook b Just.
Speaker 1: Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or go to Pastorick dot com to get your very own copy of God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible. And if you choose to become a partner in Hope with automated monthly Giving, we'll also send you a very special welcome gift to show our appreciation. That's Pastorick dot com. Or you can just call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four and thanks so much for your support. Oh and please don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support