Speaker 1: It's w W Roger than the fantasy stack in the ring field history. Then tell me Wie from being lit by the Bushwhacker to the Mega Powers exploding. We're talking about Wrestlemannia five today, mister Mooney. How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the rash still is there, but it never quite went away from that experience. And we're going to get into it with my pals from down on the Bushwhackers. But so much going on, and uh, I want to apologize. So it sounds a little KB Is that a word? I don't. I just made it up. But I'm in my new DAGs who was really excited about you know, I've been talking your ear off about it, but yes, he has made a big move. And I know it's hard to because it's just this, but now I'm setting up my own studio so that we can just keep creating more great content for everybody out there. We have so many big plans, isn't that true, mister Paul.
Speaker 1: Too many big plans to talk about right now. But we're talking about WrestleMania five, which is your first Wrestlemanian. I really want to talk about that because so far we've had four WrestleManias. Now here's the fifth one. You're here the first time. What are your feelings going into this? Are you excited? Are you nervous? What was happening inside you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I was a wreck, I think. And you know, it wasn't like it was really my first rodeo as far as these big events, but this was WrestleMania and it was at the time, you know, just this gigantic spectacle and the fact that I was going to be part of it was yeah, it was. I really tried to keep my head down, just like just get you know, do what they tell you, don't do any enforced errors if you can help it. And but it did hit me that, you know, this was just the greatest event I'd ever been a part of, and it was so huge, so many matches and so many involved and even though it was in a sense, you know, really a small venue where we got this in New Jersey of the boardwalk in Atlantic City, but it was going to be you know, the pay per view audience was out there. We knew that was going to be millions of people watching. So it was it was gigantic, and it was even after everything I'd done at that point, I was, I have to you know, looking back, I really was overwhelmed, and we had a lot happening. They had seen me do stuff outside of the backstage things, so they wanted me to do more of that. And that's always, you know, a crazy situation because you don't know what's going to happen. There's a lot of things are out of your control when you're out there in the crowd and doing that kind of kind of thing. And but I was excited. I mean, you don't get me wrong at all that I wasn't. I was thrilled. But you know, there's that anxiety and you just hope you never let them see a sweat as.
Speaker 1: They say, well, you have a kind of a man on a street feel for this entire WrestleMania. So the meetings before this mania are they describing, All, Right, Tony Shivanni, you're gonna be backstage doing some interviews. But mooney, we're gonna send you out there in the wild. What are your thoughts about that? Because you're right, these are elements you cannot control. Someone jumps in front of you, they're in front of you. You can't. It's not backstage where the barbarian is going to actually cooperate with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, And you know, it was kind of that whole persona that wanted me to have. You wanted that, you know, that you know, man in the street, a journalist out there just taking in what's happening. And so this is where I was really starting to, I guess, come into my own in the sense of what my place was with the WWF WWE and and so I really took that, you know, to heart because you know, Tony coming in. I've heard people who live asked me before, you know, you guys intimidated or if you would you think Tony was there to come in and take your job. I mean they always would say things like that, but I never ever looked at it like that. And then also, you know, Tony was basically a wrestling announcer, a true wrestling announcer, and there was anybody who would be concerned or something would be somebody from the announced team that wasn't my lane. So bringing him in and having him become part of the broadcast team, to me was was great because it also it gave me more opportunities too. Yeah, you know, don't get me wrong, doing backstage interviews was certainly a great part of what I got to be, you know, involved in. But the fact that they started to you know, experiment and have me go out and do things like that, that they trusted me to go out there and do that that would create some good content for the pay per view was you know, it was a big confidence boost for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is so much going on here because all hands on Deckie. You got Gorilla and Jeff Commentary. He got Tony Schiavanni. Backstage, you got Mean Jean. He got you in the field, Lord Alfred Hayes. They keep cutting to him with he was part of the Rustmania brunch. He was part of the five K run with mister Fuji. Like, everyone is involved here, but I really want to take a deep dive into what you're doing because the first time we see you here, you're interviewing, you're in the crowd talking about how the Bushwackers just beat the Fabulous Rougos and they man handled you. I took a video of the eyesight laugh and I sent it to you last night, and they're grabbing you, pulling out your nose, licking you. What is that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I know, in today's world. We're so cautious of saliva because of COVID before he ended nineteen eighty nine, are like, let's just get in there, get in your ears.
Speaker 2: Well, it was part of their I know, I think they were going to mess with me. They told me they were going to come down and but to the extent ofment and I know that Vince just love telling them, like really give it to them, you know, just just go and it would be you know it was it wasn't just you know they would it just wouldn't end. I mean they would come back and they're licking my head and then you know, oh, we got to get better that, you know, like that, And it was just crazy that that's what they were doing. And hold on, I've got some wild animals. I don't know if that's it's not.
Speaker 1: The bushwalkers back to lick you.
Speaker 2: No, they're not. But the thing about you know they're coming down and you see the shot, which is a great one. You know that the fact that they've got.
Speaker 1: Those dog boys, they're fans.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a jump cut. But the fact that you see that the shot that they had was just so good because it's it's that big, long, carpet shot down the way, you know, down the way, and uh, and you see them coming and I'm interacting with the fans or whatever, and then you just see them coming and then they go by and then they just grab me. You know. It's like Malmi and I got along really well with the Bushwhackers. I love those guys. We had kind of a kinship because they were rugby players and I played rugby in college. Uh and so that kind of got me in with them because we would talk rugby all the time. So uh, you know, we were we had a really good relationship and what And for them to do that, it was like they knew, okay, you know, mooney will be fun. Uh And and I had lived from some lines there. I think I said to Grillo, do you ever have a dog that really liked you yet? And then as I'm wrapping it up, I say, guys, I'm going to go find a towel and a brush. You know, it's because my hair was all a skew, but it was you know, it was very cool. I mean to be you know, to be part of that that gimmick. What I have preferred not to have a man licking my face it's not the greatest experience, but it's it's a bit that people still tell me about, you know, how much how funny they thought that was. And like I said, I knew that in the back. And when they told the boys and I don't know Pat and Vince, you know, they had this bizarre sense of humor. I'm sure they told him give it to him, you know, like just just go over the top with it, and they did, you know, and stay before we really dive into this, because what made me think about this event, you know, he said, Alfred, you know, being involved in the brunch and you know all that they had a five k run and this was one of those events where you know, it was really you see it today, everything's a fans best, you know, they have some kinds of stuff going on with these events that take place. But for me, it was ahead of its time. You had never really seen this become you know, so much of a multiple events, you know, days prior to people, you know, the how do we get people already involved instead of just the day of the event. And so we had all of these you know, the panels with the guys, and we had that five k run and then we had you know, food set up and they had vendors come in and so it was really good I think at the beginning. And maybe some of this had gone on before with other outfits. I don't know, but I just remember it being this gigantic event that wasn't just WrestleMania. It wasn't just the you know, the event, the restling event. And you know, I did some stuff with a bunch of things. I you know, part of my main job there was hosting things. I hosted panels, I went down to meet with fans and uh, you know, all kinds of stuff. And I was part of that run to the five K thing. I remember that there was this box in my hotel room and it had you know, this was before anybody wore this kind of stuff, and they had with like leggings. I remember the first thing I said when I went down there. It was in front of this crowd and it was you know, pretty chilly that day, and I said, you know what, do I feel like I forgot my pants? You know it was because they had me wearing this ridiculous outfit, you know, and I that's another thing, and that was a rib too. I think now everybody wears them, but I was, you know, I had a brand newcare of sneakers. They gave me in this WrestleMania sweatshirt or whatever. But you know, but overall, it was really setting the stage of what these events would become. Not just you know, show up and watch three hours of wrestling. It was it became, you know, destination to bring the family and stay for a few days and be a part because they had all kinds of things going on and it was just another way to create a revenue but also create the hype or there was a lot more than just sitting in that arena and watching all that exciting action in the ring. It's great.
Speaker 1: That's interesting you say that because it's so hard to find video of any of these things, like the panels, because it wasn't part of the programming. It wasn't on Coliseum video, it wasn't. It would show you maybe a blip like, oh, there it is, there's like a still shot of it. But when you're hosting these these q and as, like when you're eating breakfast with a wrestleer, like what is actually happening? Are we all just eating in quiet? Or the fans are talking to the bushwhackers as they're shoving pancakes down their throat.
Speaker 2: No, mostly it would be they'd come in and they'd have so it was a breakfast for example, people would come in and they'd eat, and then you know, one of us would go out and we work the crowd. And then it's, you know, at the point where everybody was kind of done eating whatever, we march, you know, six or seven of the guys out and have you know the big tables set up with microphones like the press conference. Yeah, and you know, I go out and roam in the crowd with a microphone, which wasn't real easy because we didn't have the wireless mics really back. Oh, so you know it kind of you set up a little area over and they bring guys over, they stand in line, and then they could ask the question. But I just thought it was just so innovative. I you know, ahead, like I said, ahead of its time of what we're seeing now, which is you know, pretty much exactly that. But as I've mentioned many times before in events, one thing that was brilliant about him and the team is that they brought in people that really knew how to advertise and promote big admits they didn't depend on you know, wrestling acts that had been around forever, promoting events where you went and made flyers up and spread them around the town or something. You know. These guys were big time New York advertising agency experience people that came in and said, hey, what about this? And Vince was all over it. I mean he loved it.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, no, he again, he gets a lot of credit for a lot of great things he did. And one of the things he's talking about roaming around. You get sent to the nosebleed section of the arena, You go all the way up and you interview these two guys. These two guys clearly have been drinking, because you're like, how's the show going? He said, Jake Check's the best. Jake, Jake's the best. And you said, oh, I guess we're not going to get muchut of that guy, and you just immediately get out of there. Again, how long does it take to get from the floor being licked by the butshwhackers all the way to the top of the arena.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't so much the transportation. I think, you know, it wasn't a real big arena. But when you mentioned about going to the nose bleed and I you know, I'd done stuff like that before and Vince loved it. And it's kind of like one of those things that you go, oh, you know, boy, that one damn it because you never knew what was going to happen in that situation where you know, like you mentioned that guy that was you know, you don't just go and just random some idiot, you know, like you talk before before, just kind of you know, to say, Okay, this guy will be good. You know, he could tell after you have a little bit of a conversation, you say, you want to say something, you want to come on, you know, and uh, and this guy was being very coherent. I thought, okay, he he's going to be good good And then and then I don't know if it was said you know right or you know, breeze or and that's the only thing he could come out of his mouth. But then you're like, I'm like, you know, thanks a lot. I mean, I had I thought you're going to do one thing, and then you went somewhere else not helping. But but the the idea that you're up there and you're around that crowd that they it doesn't it's not so much more people say, it's just people being brought in and felt like they're there, and then you're in there with them and getting that feel of what it's like to be sitting in those seats. That was my mission, and I think we always accomplished that. It didn't It was one of those things that really nothing could go wrong. I remember, you know a few other times where you know you'd be there, and this has always been true no matter what you're covering. But as soon as you know they have they keep the lights down, you know, until it's time to do the shot to the hit, and then the lights come up and it is it's like the mock the plane and people see it and they brought dross everybody's attention to it, and then they're you're hoping, and I remember they had a couple of security people up there where well because you don't know, you can't have people running in. You don't know who's around there. They could just jump into the shot or whatever. But you know, you don't stand chance when there's you've got fifty people that want to get in front of a camera. This two guys aren't going to stop them. And I remember There were a few times and it wasn't I'm not at this event where we did that and I would start doing it and then suddenly you just see me just kind of disappear, you know. You know. Uh So that was always that was always the variable out there. You didn't really know what was going to happen when it was live like that, but there was just an excitement to it that you know. I loved doing that. I loved being out there. I loved when they gave me a time to go interview a celebrity in the crowd or you know whatever it was, because it was it really did I felt brought people into it and gave them an idea of what it was like if you were actually there then that day, you know, while it was going on, and you know, I think it was a really great part of it. Other than just the backstage you know interviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I added a whole different element. But you know, you did mention that you are You're in the crowd right before Hogan and Savage and you're like, let's do a poll, Let's do a pole. That'sk a poll, and that's when a couple of dudes just jump in and you get handsy like you. You push those dudes right out of the way, and god damn it, Moody, that's right, get hit those assholes out of the way. You need to get your shit in.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you gotta do that? Security wasn't doing their jobs, but you did interview you know, uh, future President Donald Trump here and he I don't think he knows what to say when you're asking him questions, because when you start talking about him talking to him, he doesn't really know what to say. He just keeps saying, it's an amazing show. I'm glad people are here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Oh the you ask about the castina out, He's saying, it's full. What was the atmosphere like for you? Are you prepped to ask him? Are you giving questions like, hey, make sure you mentioned the boardwalk, make sure you mentioned this what's going on before you talk to him?
Speaker 2: No? I never had didn't get a chance to talk to him at all before. It was just go go talk to him. You weren't going to get a chance to rehearse, you know. And I don't think Donald Trump's ever rehearsed anything in his life. He just does it. And uh, you know, it's like, oh, it's great event, the greatest thing, you know, uh and so but uh and I've I've mentioned this before. It still remains one of the worst live interviews I think I ever did. And probably somebody may argue, but it was the uh I was. I was a wreck. I mean, and I had to you know, the old ear piece thing, and it wasn't you know, now I have a fit in one that's not going to pop into my ear, but it was one of these things that they hand you and it had like the big hok on it that went over your ear and then it was huge it popped out, you know. Yeah, so I didn't really couldn't hear the queue and and I'm like flustered and I think I called I stumbled over his name and you know, just ah, yeah that that still remains. It's haunted me forever. And then the guy has to become president.
Speaker 1: You know, right, so then you pop up randomly constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. People said, if you haven't see the picture, there's the interview. And whenever I go to, uh, you know, do one of these signings, and and some of them it won't just be my head shot. They'll have they've got very creative over here is finding these images, so it'll be me, uh Marandy Savage and you know, all these different great shots and then me and Donald uh Trump and uh and so it's just that, yeah, that's that's the one. And and I've been I'm like, I said, oh my god, it's like, I can't believe you're telling you ask me this way, but it is. It's being an honest person. I have to say that was the worst that I ever did live. I got better. I definitely got better, but they have to have it happen with with Donald Trump. It was something to stay with me forever. And and the fact that the guy's all over the place and comes up, but it was it was definitely memorable, no question about it.
Speaker 1: There you go memorable. We'll say we'll keep it. We'll keep it at that. But yeah, when I watch it, I'm like, man, he got this giant like this was your earpiece, Like yep, so we are who I'm like, why it's so big.
Speaker 2: And it's like it's like hanging. It's like it's not even to day. It looks like it popped out and I don't know what I'm doing. And yeah, and it's chaos. You know that it's very loud, and you that thing was worthless. I couldn't hear what the hell was going on. I think that I don't even think that. It was like through my ear they told me to go. I think the camera guy, I like tell him to talk now, you know now. But it's part of it. That's you know, that's part of the excitement. You never, that's why we do it. It's crazy. We're massacrests, you know. But I've always been proud of the fact that on all the things I've done in my career, whenever I had to stand up in front of a camera and that light went on, as they say, I went, I've never you know, you know, I always found a way to dance and get through it. And that means always, you know, that's a true test you That's what I always say to people that you the answer the call. You know, when you get up there, you find a way. And I've spent my life and still to the day, doing live television. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the sardine smell from the bushwhackers messed with your brain, and that's what happened with you and Donald Trump. That's just The facts are facts, all right, folks. That's it's science, baby, it's science. Let's talk about the event though, because before this event, there's actually counter programming going on with Ted Turner on TBS. They're trying to compete because we are in a war, folks, we are in a war of counter programming with the Royal Rumble being invented to count of program other events and now here we are it's Rick Flayer versus Ricky Steinbo on the other channel, free on TBS. How angry do you think Vince McMahon is because he has pulled this on Jim Crockett. Now someone is pulling this on him.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure that Vince wasn't happy. But see that's what that's what juiced him. I mean, he loved the fight. And you know it wasn't just this rufflemania. This whole thing had God on only it was this big fight because Turner had a big sway when it came to cable and in the pay per view operators. He was he was a big player, so he did have some influence and I know Vince cut rates to undermine him, and it was this corporate war, and I think that Vince when it came down, he loved it. When you know, that's what made him get up every day, is to beat people and to come out on top. And so I don't know if it was he had the anger. I think it was all right, let's go, let's see what we can we can do to to to beat them in this, and it was it was all kinds of stuff going on. Remember they had, you know, the three hour special thing that vade them that we did face to face. I think it was with when they had all the guys there and Vince hosted this thing, and that was to counter their program building up to this. So there was a there was. It was. It wasn't just this one event. This was and I think they even they had a eight hundred number, which you remember back then that was a big thing that people would get on and and you know, mom and dadou get the bill like, what.
Speaker 1: The f who did you call?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Two hundred dollars? Yeah, but I think they ran that during the event to call call this eight hundred number and find out what's what the restaurant on any of results are, so, uh, you know, it was it was a It was a war. It really was that to see who had come out on top. And I think when it came right down to it, Vince loved it. He loved mixing it up and had you know. Sure, there were times, you know, when Turner might have got the best of them that day and he was angered, but all that did was drive the guy even harder. So I think in the end of it, I think he enjoyed it. I think he enjoyed the war. I really do.
Speaker 1: It's true because, yeah, the Royal Rumbles created Survivor series. He's created to counter program you know, Jim Crockett and counter program ted Turners. Eventually with time keep a Google going on. So yeah, I think Vince, you're right. I think he loves the war. Like when the Monday Night Wars ended, might have he might have been like, damn, well that was fun and who am I going to fight now? Just just I guess the world. But yeah, you're right about that. They the WWF paid to have a nine hundred number play during Clash of the Champions Rick Flayer versus Ricky Steamboat to make sure you could find out do you know who won the Dino Bravo match or do you know who Megapowers won that match like that is. I see it still today when you watch WE or aw C commercial pop up, you're like, damn, damn, I can't believe they're still doing this well.
Speaker 2: And it's and you know, it's just that, you know, not that it was going to make a huge difference, but it was just you know, another jab. You know that they did that, you know, purposely did that during their event, and the w CW did the same thing. They it was back and forth to see who you get the best of the other. You know, that's and look like you said, because of all that, that's all these other great vvents were created. And if that, if that, they wouldn't have had that, maybe wouldn't we wouldn't be seeing all that. If they wouldn't have had that, that competition wouldn't have taken professional wrestling to the heights that it eventually went to. So it was all really, I mean, when it came down to that, that competition, it was all for the benefit of professional wrestling, no doubt about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then another big thing with this event is Donald Trump. Obviously it's Trump Plaza. We are at his location. Wrestlman A four was also here. Back to back arenas, which has never happened in the w F at least. But yet here we have this big argument about satellites because Vince he wants to cut the sidelllites out because he's afraid if you go to a bar, there's two hundred people in that bar. Okay, well now they get to watch the event without having to pay for it. Trump's like, no, no, no, we need these satellite companies because I want people to see how great this place is. Come come here, come to the casino. Isn't always a constant problem. I know the NFL has this issue where you have to buy a package to play games inside of a bar because again, you're losing viewers if you jam pack your place. What do you did you ever have this discussion with anyone about how you know pirrating is really just airing it for a bunch of people to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know there are two arguments there. You just laid it out that, Yeah, sure, like Vince wanted it to be paid for in every single home and not give it away where you could have, you know, venues where you could put a lot of people in. But there's also the argument of you know, the more people who see it, the more your product the scene, and more people will want it. The guy next year, might you know or the next pay per view, it's going to say, hey, man, I'm going to have my own pay per view party at my house. So you know, if they don't see it, they don't know it, they don't know the product. So there's the two arguments there. I think that Vince wanting to cut out those satellites, and this is my opinion back then, I was my My feeling was, let get more and more people to see it, and then they're going to want to pay for it down the road. You know, it may not be an immediate what you want, but you're going to get more. You're going to have more people see it. Somebody may be in that bar and didn't go there to see Wrestledania, but they've got it on and you're they're like, man, this is freaking awesome. Man, I'm going to tell my friends how freaking awesome this is because I just, you know, just caught it. So that was my feeling. Get many people because we were still in the infancy of it, so why not give it away? That's that's kind of basic business of you know when you want to sell a product, well give it to them where it's that hard to reach in the pocket for it. And so I was I didn't understand the logic of you know, no, no, we got it already. They're cutting it off. They're cutting off other people who could see it, like get as many people as you possibly can. Yes, Yes, it's like two different arguments for that. I was on the other side of it.
Speaker 1: You know, years ago, I lived in Florida, and so I had to say, go, I didn't have pay per view in my college dorm, so I would go to Hooters and I would pay like twenty bucks just to get in to watch wrestling in twenty three, Like I remember that exactly, because again, they had a contract. They weren't just going to give this out. And so the ww obviously has cracked down over the years, but at least then they were Trump was like, hey man, let's let's get everyone to see this, because they'll see your product, they'll see my product. We're all making more money because more eyeballs on the product. So but you know, at one point seven million dollars at the gate beating Slomania three. And I love the aesthetics of this event too, because you have these weird, like not Christmas lights, but there are these weird, droopy lights that hang everywhere in the arena and you don't really see that very often. I just thought it's a it's a weird look. And the security. Here's a big question for you, is I personally feel like when you have an entrance ramp that's like this small, the wrestler has to be in the middle and you have security all around them, it ruins I don't know the feeling of watching it because you're just seeing all these yellow shirts cover your wrestlers because fans are too close and they can grab you. Dude, do you think wrestlers enjoy I don't think being grabbed at, but they like the atmosphere of being closer or further away from fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a thought on that too. It was and I know that I you know, looking at the wide shots of the arena and it just it looks small, and I think, yeah, because we've kind of gotten used to seeing these giant arena almost state you know, stadium like events, and so it seemed, you know, kind of like a small TV taping in some sense. But at the same time, when you've got that many people in a small area and they're just jammed and packed, it does create that feeling of, you know, everybody wants to see this. As far as the security goes, I liked that as far as because I think it kind of created like boxing, you know, when the heavyweights come out and then he's got the security team and people are on tom and it just shows, you know, like how big of an event this is. And I think that that had something to do with it too, the fact that Vince, you know, wanted a ton of security guys, and it really was it seemed like they just lined the whole way right and they're going along with you know, macho man when he comes in, and so I like that. I think it really kind of created this this excitement of a big fight, and I know that that's what they wanted to do there. And uh, you know, Trump had posted many events like that, so I think that some of that advice came from him, uh you know, telling this because I'm sure that that was a discussion of.
Speaker 3: Saying, you know, the damn railings, that's how close you know, maybe they said, you know, you know what, that's not such a bad thing because like it's like people they want to get them, you know, they they want to tear them apart, or they want to you know, they want to pat him on the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that that. I liked that part and I really did it created kind of this big fight feel. What was really interesting too, though, is why did Randy go to the ring first and then we're going to get into that main event? But uh, you know, Randy, it was the champion. In most big fights, you get the chader in there and then you have the champion come in, but the haulkster and to the entrance. So it didn't foretell what was the head. I don't know, but I I just think that, uh, when you're doing stuff like that, stick to the stick to the bank, you like, do it. There's going to be a big fight. Make it that big fight, make it that do it the right way. So interesting. I love that, you know, you love that when you love that idea that bulks of there. He's you know, waiting and waiting for the mato. He's like like the challenger.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's here, is the challenger? Yeah yeah, right, you should wait on him.
Speaker 2: But I diagre. We'll get into that, yes, But as far as the whole security team thing, I I was a big fan of it. I thought that was great. It created that that big you know, that big fight field for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I I love it. And the opening of this Restuman it comes with sexy saxophone music running and then you see the megapowers explode, and again I love I love it because so far all these restumans have had themes to you know, bigger, bad or better. You know, we have ultimate challenge later on stars and stripes, mega powers explode. To me, it's like watching a movie. We have a narrative, what are we here for? Are we here? Immediately to know the mega powers are going to explode? So I know I did like that part of it. But the starting of this is rock and Robin, who is the WWF Women's champion at the time, seeing the national anthem. So she's a champion, but she does not wrestle on the car. She sings because she's a rockin and Jesse Ventra berries her singing immediately and says, she bet us stick to her day job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what argue with them on that one? No?
Speaker 1: But Jesse and throw up the commentary is hilarious, you know, and.
Speaker 2: I have to say, yeah, yes, and I think you know, gene oakerland version was better. He and he'd say that trips me, but that's another story because you know he was he was a lound singer at an album. We we we do the gen what we do with the Gama off to play? Yes? Uh anyway, Uh yeah, you think they could mean they should like to have her do a dark match, you know, I think it was a big diss. But of course back then female wrestling was not you know what it is today by any stretch. And but I did think I was like, am I just she's a champion? Really? I mean, we went that far to have a champion? Well, let her have a match, but no, just let her do the anthem. I hear she sings.
Speaker 1: And that's the shocking part too. Is supposed to it's it's supposed to be about celebrities. We've had Bob Buker, We've had so many different people of the years, Muhammad Ali, Lamarachi, mister t. We couldn't get someone to sing in the beginning. We got our own wrestler because we want to maybe pay someone else. Well, we have rocking Robin. She's a rocker, right, well, no, that's just her her gimmicks, sir, that's her gimmick. You know, I wouldn't send Jake to be a vet because he has a snake with him. But that's uh, that's how we start this event off. And you know some were talking about music. What were you saying?
Speaker 2: Frank was busy. Frank Sinactra was busy. That's the reason that.
Speaker 1: He was busy. Still running that five K run.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why.
Speaker 1: Another Want Want Want moment.
Speaker 2: Is mister I think, mister yeah, I think how great would it have been if mister Pogi saying national anthem?
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, it could have been better. Poor rocking Robin still still alive, Still alive, Jake to snak sister Sam Houston's sister. Yes she's still around. Though she's still around. Another Want Want Want music moment is on DMC coming out and seeing the WrestleMania rap. Bro I just did a vincerousso but bro, I watched that last night the first time forever. They should have not they should delete that, they should have never re aired that. I'm sorry, Like they've removed matches from Coliseum video releases. This should be removed from the archive. That's my personal opinion. And if you have them there, why don't you have them wrap the national anthem or something?
Speaker 2: Well, why not? You know, it was just just the wrong crowd. I think. I don't think. I think, you know hip indeed, Yeah, he was trying, you know, to be with it and to let people know, yeah, we're we're there, we're right when we know what's going on. Were finger on the pulse? But yeah, I didn't did not go over well, it was just say it's a part of church. I think it kind of was just like people were you know, it's weird because right and listeners like was It wasn't booze or anything's just like no reaction. It was just kind of people. We could hear people talking and yeah it was I don't think people were quite ready for that.
Speaker 1: No. No. And also another want want want moment here for me personally is brother love and personating Roddy Piper. Morton Downey Junior appears and him and Piper talk forever eventually at least to a fire extinguisher moment and ha ha ha ha and Robert excuse me not Robert Downey junior. Morton Downey Junior. He was, you know, the Jerry Springer at the time, having a talk show where he would say really crazy things. And that's why he's here because he's saying crazy things. And they have WF has the finger on the Pulse of America right now and he's part of it. What do you think of that segment because to me, it just felt like it went forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, way too long. And Roddy was not not a fan guy. You know, when Roddy didn't like you and he didn't like work Downey Junior. I think he just thought he was, you know, a gripter and he gave it to him pretty good man, especially with that, you know, because Martin Downey Jr. The whole ship with him was he was this chain smoker. He was always had a cigarette in his mouth, and so the whole thing was yeah, and I think he flicks the cigarette or something into Roddy or and then Roddy pulls out the fire extinguisher and uh, you know, you watch that thing. He just really blasted him and then blasted him again and like in his face and between the legs and uh, yeah, okay, you want to do that and you, like you said, it was kind of like this timely thing. He was, you know, a big shock television guy. But come on, like it didn't have to be what was it the thirty five minutes long.
Speaker 1: It's just I think you think I think you're right. I think it was along in the main event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think it was much, but it seemed like it and it was just another one of those thumb gimmick things. So yeah, okay, get out, get out of the way. I always thought that stuff was so stupid, but yeah, I just think this WrestleMania show that we could get somebody like that to come in, but it was Yeah, the star power was not right for this one.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say that. Yeah, I was gonna say over the years, you've had so many people come in as celebrities for these WrestleManias and they hit it right out of the park. They were amazing. And then this group of people I feel like they were you said, finger on the pulse. All these people are Parker, Let's bring them in. Yeah, but well they fit to what we're doing. Do they know what we're doing? Oh no, they don't care. They just want to get paid and they're happy to come for money. Oh well, okay, then maybe the kids will like it.
Speaker 2: No, there's nothing more. And what the million dollar man says that everybody has has his price, and as we that was proven. It has been proven time and time again with the w w E that yeah, everybody does their price. Yes quick, this is true, and you are you crazy? I would never do how much? Oh when when? Let me get that on the calendar.
Speaker 1: Check but check clear.
Speaker 2: How dare you ask me to do such a how much money? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You want to flick cigarettes at Roddy Piper, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is very true. And you know the first matchup Hercules was King Haku. Really nothing there, just a hoss fight. We get to the Twin Towers versus the Rockers, and I actually really love this match because this is the way that each team looked. You have the high flyers, your powerhouses. According to rumors, Shawn Michaels was up till four in the morning the night before, drinking supt a few hours, use energy pills in coffee, and probably something else to perform in the ring. You know how common or is it for wrestlers to just stay up all night drinking, partying and then go out and have a great match.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it was pretty damn common, especially back then. And we know we've talked about the Rockers before, and yeah, at that point in time, they were just they were brilliant in the ring and they didn't miss a party. They would, you know, hard driving night after night after night. And I've said also before that I can't even begin to tell you many times I was just amazed. And I wasn't at every TV taping or anything like that, but you could see. You would see these guys come in and Sean would have the sunglasses inside, you know, and just you could just tell, I mean, he was dragged and a lot of these guys, but I was always just amazed that you know that they found a way too. You know, they go out there and still have these brilliant matches. You know they might come back and collapse, but when they were in that ring, they knew what their job was. You know. You often think about with some of these people, and fortunately for Sewan, he survived it all and it's healthy today. But you have to think back of, well, what if you would have just taken care of yourself a little more, you know, without those nights and the drugs you put into your body. And but maybe on the other hand of it, that's what made them survive. That's how they got through it. You know, you kind of have you self medicate to to be able to do what you were doing, getting on planes every day and finding gyms and you know, getting something to eat and then doing getting the hell beat out of you, and then trying to find a way to get to sleep. You go and drink, and then you have to have something that's going to help you sleep too. Then they have got to get something to get you up. And so we can, you know, talk about it all day. We weren't there, We didn't live that life. And and they all found a way to do it. Some had more discipline, some recognized early what it would do to their bodies and stayed away from it, but many, many succumbed. And that is why the list of deceased wrestlers is so damn long. There was a big price to pay, so you know, yeah, the rumors of that I think were very true. I remember seeing Kim that day and it was just like another one of those like, oh boy, And I always thought when it was like, come on, this is this is the big this event of the year. You can't go to bed before midnight. Maybe right, that's you know, that's how they did it. And like I said, they go on the ring and they have these tremendous matches. And this was one of the veterans. As we've discussed the Rockers, they are one of the tag teams, and there are a few others that showed how well these streamlined tag teams that were built for speed and fantastic moves and high flying could actually step into a ring with two lumbering giants and have a really entertaining match. Uh. You know, sometimes you get tired of seeing when if you see two of these high flying kind of tag teams that go at it and it's like flip flip boom boom bama, hey flip blip blip, Like all right, yeah, I got it. But when you see like these guys get to match up, how there's no way to inspied. One of those guys gets a hold of him, he's gonna crush him like a grape. And you would see these things where they get him and they'd slip out, or they do this, or a movement. You're like, oh, wow, that was awesome. So that you know, those matches became very very popular just for that reason, because you'd see that, you know, that's not supposed to work in human science. When the big giant guy gets a hold of a little guy, guy's got no shot. He's gonna get him done. Now that that certainly wasn't the case with these guys, you know, even though they ended up on the losing end of this one. But you know, you got to watch out for that Air Africa. I think it was that moves that wrapped it up. Yeah, but it's gone down in history. Yes, you see it quite often. But the the that that's why I love those matches. And they were, as I said, one of those tag teams that put them in the ring with anybody and they're going to make it entertain Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the Twin Towers too. They for the past six months have been beating down Hulk Cogan and the macho man Rainey Savage. So and now getting a high profile match at Russmini against the Rockers shows me like, oh, the WWF really shows that they care about the Rockers, but they also care about the Twin Towers because without them, as I said before many podcasts. Without them, you wouldn't have this built up friction between Savage and Hogan because you needed two wrestlers to be able to be equal to Hogan and Savage to make it seem like they were ever in peril. So I always enjoy the Twin Towers, and you know, this is the down swell of them, but still they had an amazing past six months, so you know, good for them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but you think about it too. And I mentioned how agile the Rockers were and everything, but you got to give credit to the Twin Towers huge. You know, boss Man and I came those two guys. Man, they could move for these giant guys and and you know, even you know a team, I don't think he gets credit for what he could do in there. Boss Man was really good. And uh so you've got to have as you just said, you've got to have two other guys that can do it. But they've got to be able to have that talent to do it. You can't just have you know, like Warlord Warlord and Barbarian that basically we're just going to be brutes. Uh. You know, these guys could move around they could do stuff. Like I said before that you know Bubba could, he could do the splits. That guy was so freaking flexible. So yeah, you've got to have that talent to match it, and they did.
Speaker 1: I love boss Man, so I'll always say, you know, I'll always give credit when you big boss Man deserves all the credit in the world. But Ted Debiassi versus Bruce Beefcakes up next next. The Million Dollar Championship is not on the line as it would be years later with Virgil and say Ted fighting each other. But I do like the nod of million Dollar Man walking up to Donald Trump and shaking his hand and both like, yeah, it's good to see you again. Oh yeah, it's very good to see you as well. Like I just like that little added element of what's going on here. People say it's a controversial finish because it's a double count out finish, and you're here at WrestleMania you kind of want I don't know, you're paying money. You want to see an actual finish to certain matches, and you know, you decide what you want. But it's interesting that Beefcake now sliding into fighting Tdbase fighting Andre because he's Hogan's friend, is that. How do you think other wrestlers are feeling about this now where you're seeing Beefcake is getting more than he was before, now that Cogan has more power than he ever had before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I'm sure there was a lot of that, and that was something that Brutus endured his entire career there that wasn't going to be avoided. There was no no doubt about it that he did get favor because he was his close association with his pal the whole stert and he embraced it. Why not. You know that there's opportunities. But but also you know, Brutus was he was a good He was a good wrestler. I mean he was. He wasn't like some you know, lumbering idiot in there. I mean he had came up at the same time Harry did, and and worked his ass off, and he had some really good matches that he did it, paid his dues and went to Japan and did the whole thing and wrestled independently, and he could get it done in the ring. But there's no question that there were many many others that were certainly on his level that could have done the same. You know, taken advantage of the same opportunities that that Brutus got. They just didn't have to be best friends with Paul Kogan.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm next to the Bushwalkers Reversus Fabulus Rouge shows. People have voted this the worst match in WrestleMania. I don't know why if people hate the Bushwhackers so much. I like watching people being licked head butts. But you know, I don't have a problem. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with Bushwhacker matches? You know, exactly, come on down, bite my ass, punch me in the face, gave me a head butt like semi Hille happy. You know, why do you think people get so angry at the Bushwhackers in their matches? It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Well, because it was so comical. You know, it was comic relief really that, you know, like they had the battering ram that they would do. Yeah, it was just it was comic relief for those matches. It wasn't you weren't going to see tacticians in there. It was going to be goof fall stuff going on, you know, kind of three stooges kind of thing. You know, got that feeling from it but the crowd, you know, the crowd loved them, and that was mostly I think for you know, the kids. The kids love them, and it is it's funny to think about if you knew the history of the Bushwhackers, and they were the sheep herders, and they were these two badass heels. I mean they they were just nasty and uh and and people have often asked them, you know, like, well, boy, did you when you came to the WWF. I mean, god, was it an hopful that you know, Vince McMahon turns you into this laughing stock tag team and like yet up, no, why mate? You know, like you caton, it was the greatest thing you ever happened to us. I mean it really was that they forever. We've lost one of them, but you know there's still remembered. As you know, they could do appearances forever, and their merchandise they made I'm sure they made a ton of money off their merchant. So to them, it was the greatest thing that ever happened. And it was easy work. They ever had to have these big, you know, intense steel cage matches, barbed wire, you know, whatever. They they didn't have to do that anymore. So I think that, you know, the other the price for it, and they loved it, and they liked being adorned by fans and celebrated. So but yeah, it was it was always a gimmick match. It was just comic relief to give the crowd a break and bring them out and have some fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fans, come on, people, come on. I don't understand the hate towards but they do rest like five times I think in the like three years. So that's a lot on pay per review when you only have four sometimes three. So I get I get the anger towards that. But also, guys, it's okay, it's okay, it's it's bushwhackers. We're not looking for no.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, And you say yeah, but you say there's a lot of there was some heat on a lot of heat on them. Yeah, yeah, there was. But I'll tell you that the majority loved the Bushwackers. There was you know that the crowd would pop every time they came out. So yeah, I'm sure there were some purists and haters out there, but you know, come on, they knew what they were doing. They embraced it, and the fans loved it.
Speaker 1: Uh. Next up, mister Perfect rust the Blue Blazer. This is the debut of mister Perfect wearing his singlet that he would wear for the rest of his career. And I owe, I'm so happy because mister Perfect is one of the greatest characters of all time. I always will love Owen Hart and Jesse the body of Ventur, who is a heel on commentary says this is going to be the match that we should pay attention to. Like he immediately is like, oh, I'm excited to watch this, And to me, that's great because if you do watch it, it is probably one of the best matches of the night. And for me, what do you think of mister Perfect's look, because before this he's just wearing traditional random tights. Now has the thing that he has his actual look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I thought it was great because you know it was more of that uh, you know, real amateur wrestler kind of look, and Kurt had that he had the body for it. You know, others would would use that as well. You know. It's like I think the Steiner brothers wore the same kind of uh singlets with the Dead because they were you know, amateur wrestlers and and so I think you know, Kurt was a great amateur wrestler, and uh, but I just thought it was a good look for him. I I you know, always you have the trunks, and he had a good body. You know, there was no he could certainly just wear the trunks, however, but it was it was his own unique look and you know, and and and you you'd see sometimes where he'd like peel it off, you know, and kind to push it through that take the strap and then it would be like that when he was like ready to really go at it. So yeah, it was a great look. And uh, this match was was great and Owen was was a chance because you know, in order for you to get over to look good out there, you got to have a partner that knows how to do it. And there was nobody that was better at that and selling than Kurt had it. There's you know, there's no question about it that you know, Kurt was great. So this was a really great opportunity for Owen. I'm sure he loved the fact that he would, you know, got to be at WrestleMania and in the ring with Kurt and uh, and they did not let us down. It was just and now I remember people watching it back because we hadn't seen a whole lot of Owen and so this was a big stage for him. And you've heard this before that you know the boys will say, you know, it's it's something if they're paying attention. And they would also, you know, they always had the monitors set up and back and they have chairs with boys watch and we had it's all over the place so that you know, people backstage can see what was going on and when they were supposed to be somewhere. And I just remember that, you know, everybody's kind of stopped. It's just you know, who could do it? And it's watching watching that match.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's unbelivable. But what's even crazier is when I'm watching this again, this is the fifth match. There's fourteen matches on this WrestleMania. I know it's WrestleMania. You want geting one on the card, but I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Not everyone needs to be here for a match. And to me, when you think about it, I'm like, why why why is you know, I love every one of these wrestlers, but like, why is Hercules fighting Haku in the beginning? Why is Batnew's brown fighting dug In. You know, why is mister Perfect fighting the Believablelazer Dino Bravus, Brownie Garfin? Why are some of these matches happening? Is it just, hey, you all got us here, You're all working hard on house shows, so we're going to give you this big wrestleman of Payday? Is that really what this is?
Speaker 2: No? I know, I really don't think so. I mean maybe that was some of it, but I think it was kind of this experimentation to see, you know, what do people want? You know, do they want uh, you know, five to seven you know, good solid long you know, twenty plus minute matches or do you want to see uh, you know a lot of a big display of talent with the matches that are not you know, very long. Some of them were three minutes, some were seven. You know, but it was it was clear early on it it was too much, and I'm sure that people voice their opinion about that even before this event happened. But you know, once that that train was on the track and all the cars where go on that train, that train was way too long, and you can feel it. You know, there's people like uh uh you know, overload and the matches weren't real great, so then you start losing it. You know, you get the feel that crowd as it goes through the night, and yeah, it was just like, come on, let's get to it. And it was way, way, way, way too many matches and even I don't know what they could have done it better with different talent. I mean they had. It was a talent that they had, and it just none of it was really strong. There just weren't, you know, like you said, there were a few matches there, you know, Curtin and Owen and you know boss Man and Team and you know, yeah there were good matches, yes, but the other stuff was filler, and it was just it was like, do you want to make this thing three hours long? When it just people just make it too you know, if it's make it good and two you know, so yeah, way way too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I have no problem with it. I just think, why do you have so many matches? But we're going to plow through a few of these right now. Demolition to titles are his Powers of Pain and mister Fuji, who I gotta say, mister Fuji. He looked amazing and he runs a five k and a suit and a hat and a cane in his dress shoes and then he wrestles too. To me, I've heard terrible things about this man, but I got to say his physique beautiful. He looks better than me than I do now.
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, in his day, mister Kozie could get it done. Man. It was. It was legendary that, you know, the kicks and stuff that he could do, and he's still even when he was older, he could do that. He could get that leg up into your chin, which was, you know, pretty amazing thing. So you can imagine when he was when he was younger and could really fly around that ring. It was legendary. But you know, as far as when he was older, he wasn't going to be able to do a whole lot. But they got him involved in this whole you know turn with Demolition, and you know, it worked. It was one of the one of the other matches that I really enjoyed, and of course, you know, I'm a big fan of demolition, but yeah, it was you know, at worked did that That whole match worked for me? And I just thought that that that the storyline, you know, it kind of came out of you know the turn was little yeah, really just all of a sudden, I don't know where and right right, But but I still think that that was one of the more entertaining matches of the evening.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, and again, mister Fuji looking good, Man looking good, you know, good for you. Up next, you know, brav versus Ronnie Garvin again, what are we doing here? Frenchie Martin gets stomped up by Ronnie Garvin in front row Trump. He's like, oh, yeah, I like this, yeah, stomp out, French guy out. Trump's having a time of his life. Oh when he watches Hogan. If you watch this back again, look at Trump the whole time during Hogan versus Savage. He's like, it's like a kid on Christmas seeing present come to life in front of him. Honestly, it's one of the funniest moments. But the Brain Busters versus the Strike Force is up next. This is where the Strike Force breaks up and Jesse Ventura clearly gives it away because he says, well, the Strike Force hasn't teamed up in a long time. Together, let's see how they do. Well. Rick Martel leaves Tito Santana by himself and Brainbusters win. Brain Buster is our former tag team champions. Strike Force is over and we go off an amazing model run for Rick Martel. This is the beginning of my love for Rick the Model Martel. Strikeforce to me was like the young Stallions, just like a bunch of two young guys, like we're gonna give one hundred and ten percent and now we're gonna get the model. Like to me, this is a great step forward for Rick the Model Martel. I know we did a podcast about it, but how do you feel about the model character versus the version you're seeing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I thought it was great, and you know that I was a big fan of Rick, and he fought really hard. I mean we talked about it that you know, he wanted to be a heel. He felt that his run as a baby face was never going to get him anywhere, and he really had even contemplated, you know, I'm out, I'll quit the business, or I'll go and wrestle independently and as a heel. I'll prove to them that I can do this and walked away a couple of times where he just said, no, I'm serious about this, and then you know, they brought him back, said yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll do it. And then they didn't. You know, they've had we just got too much going on, but we're going to get to that. And you know, finally, yeah, finally he convinced them because he really was willing to walk away from it all and and and spot really really hard to make make it happen. And it was great to see finally, you know, just shows you the perseverance and his belief of what he could do and and not wavering, like willing to risk at all. And it really did pay off. As you said, he just this would kind of launch that that run that he would have as the model, and you know, proved everybody wrong. You know, all of those guys, you know, Pat and Vincent, you know, all those guys thought, you know, he just he's a baby face. There's nothing else you can do about. It's too good. Look, he's you know, got that swab kind of demeanor to him, and what the girls love him. You know, he's just a baby face. And he's like, no, I'm not going to make any money. You're never going to put me up there with any real serious run as a baby face. It's not going to happen, and he stuck to it and saw it through and wherever. I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but that that that, you know, put that mark on his career forever. That's how people remember him. He had a great career otherwise outside all of all that. But when you talk about Rick Martel, what you remember. You remember the model, you remember the spray thing, you remember the blinding jake, you know the whole thing, And that was all on him. He did it. He stuck to it and wouldn't go it, wouldn't wait, and you got it. I mean, tremendous respect for what he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. They announced though the Hulk Cogan's going to start and nol Holds barred the movie coming out in the summer of nineteen eighty nine. They cut back to Gorilla and Jesse Ventura and jesse Ventura has a meltdown on camera. He is screaming, this is no longer like Jesse Ventura, the TV persona. This is Jesse Ventura, the person who's angry at Ulk Cogan for stopping at Union four years ago. And the he is pissed off. He's yelling about how you're gonna come into my territory, in my yard. If you want to come to Los Angeles, She'll be driving my limousine, not starring in movies. And Jesse like walks off the screen and Gorilla that's laughing a little bit, like I'm not sure what's happening here. Eventually Jesse does come back. But the real heat of this was there actually real heat with Jesse being upset that Hogan wanted to go do movies.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, I think you know a lot of things. As we've a lot of these storylines, you know, that's what makes the best ones is when you can't really tell the difference is that a shoot or work? And uh, you know, as you mentioned there was no love lost between Hull, Coogan and and Jesse. Then that was for real and with good reason for as far as Jeff was concerned that you know that and hulp, you know, Terry fully admitted it. When I heard about that you and I went straight to Vince because it was a threat to what I was doing, very honest about that, and Jesse never forgave him for that that here, you know, Jesse, Uh, and you see this happened in professional sports all the time. Where you know, you're at one point. You know, if you're at the top and you really you kind of forget where you came from. You know, Jesse had witnessed had been that guy who you know, languished and didn't get real didn't get shots, and and was kind of at the mercy of these promoters and and what these guys went through. You know, early on, I, at least with the w w F, Fulkster was getting you know, first class treatment everywhere he went, blue, first class limousines, great hotels. He wasn't with the guys down at the bottom of the card who you know, were getting in rental cards, four of them, because that's they split the money they spend. They'd have three a room. Somebody was sleeping on the floor on a mattress. You know, stories of guys eating going into diners, ordering a cup of coffee and then eating crackers with ketchup on them. You know, I mean when you when you've lived that and done it for a long time, where every part of your meal is you know, every time you do something, you know it's expensive. Those guys weren't covered for that. The only thing that the the WWF covered was your flight. You were responsible for everything is that you did from that point on. You paid for your meals, you paid for your hotel, you paid for your transportation between the towns that you were going to. And Jesse felt that, you know, it wasn't fair. These guys needed to have some representation and the only way they were going to do that is they found together and blew that up right away. And he never forgave so kind of a tirade there, but that's to make you understand why. And there were other things, you know, the merchandise thing, you know, Jesse saw that that hoped getting the lion's share of all of it, and so yeah, that was that was real life heat. So I you know, I think that that was maybe more than a half shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he was pissed after watching it, was like damn right, even Gorilla again, Gorilla just looks shocked like, okay, well I'm just gonna nervously smile here for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That it didn't look very comfortable on camera there, but you know, moving on, Jake to Snaka Roberts versus the Andre The Giant matches up next with Big John Studd, who won the nineteen eighty nine Royal Rumble, but he doesn't wrestle here at WrestleMania. He's the special guest referee. Match ends in d Q. Jake wins. Why have Big John Studd win the Royal Rumble to not wrestle Andre at WrestleMania.
Speaker 2: Well, probably because Big John Studt was afraid of Andre's didn't. That's well documented that Andre. There's only one giant. There's only one giant, and it is me and anybody who tries to come in and you know, but they're put in there is it's not going to happen, mind speaker. And so there was no love loss there between them. And I think that you know, they were probably brewing something need to be serious of about it. That you know, you two giants is kind of a give and you want to see them go at it? But come on, what's juicy? Or here right the whole anng with with Jake and Andrea and the snake and come on, what do you want to see? I want to what do you want to see more two giants banging on each other or this this thing that you know, a snake that gave Andrea a heart attack? You know, and uh and and and That's another one of those things too, where you know you've got I mean, come on, look at Jake. Jake was not the greatest physical specimen. What chance does he have against Andre the Giant? And you know how cunning that Jake Roberts says, you know he's got something of the sleep. You know, he's going to do something. He's he's got he's not and he's so freaking you know, just arrogant about it. And he's still you know, like he's not there's no fear. So he's got he's got something, you know. Uh So that to me, that was what that was just yead I can't wait the throwing John Studd in there, just for the spectacle of it, the two giants is who could he possibly? You know, he's you know he's going to be against Andre. Andre's gonna get screwed this somehow.
Speaker 1: Hanicap match.
Speaker 2: You had a lot of elements working in that match. Yeah, but didn't have to be there to make that a marquee match, No, not really.
Speaker 1: No, no hard foundation versus my favorite tag team, Rhythm Blues, Honky tonk Man named Greg Valentine, uh super quick super quick match.
Speaker 2: Because Greg Valentine dye his hair.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm sorry, folks, but Greg Valentine was boring to me, just like Ronning Garvin was boring to me. You know, they might have been great talents, and they might have been amazing in your favorite but they're not mine. And so I'm going to stop there and just say this match was filler and that was it. Interncondinal title on the line. Rick Rwe defeats Ultimate Warrior by Bobby Heenen holding on to Warrior's leg at the bottom. But after Warrior tex Heenan, Heenan says he actually was injured by the Ultimate Warrior here, hurting his already worse and neck because he had neck issues. We've heard so many stories about Ultimate Warrior hurting people, But when you're hurting wrestlers, I guess that's one thing. When you're hurting Bobby Heenan, the manager, that to me is a whole other level of you're not protecting your opponents at all.
Speaker 2: Well, come on, it was Bobby Heenan, so hopeful who was upset.
Speaker 1: Bobby was upset with Warrior.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, well it was you know, that was the thing that it was brilliant about Bobby that throw him into any situation and he made it work. So yeah, I mean this it was a great matchup anyway. I mean Rick ruthe man, that guy was I thought was great in the rig and and people realized just how freaking tough that guy was. Not not a really huge guy. I mean he was, he had a tremendous body, but it wasn't anywhere near the stature of Warrior. But who do you think is going to win that street fight and died by the way. They had a few altercations, But really this is a great matchup. Then throw Enan in there. It's a great mix.
Speaker 1: True, true. You know, people were interested in this because it's probably like the second biggest match on the car besides Hogan versus Macho Man because Warriors red hot, rickcruit amazing, heel body, Heenan's on fire as always. So I think it was a very shocking ending actually to see a babyface lose such a big, high profile match at RUSSEMANI at the time. Now it happens all the time, but when it did, you're like, wow, I didn't. I didn't. Vegas odds did not have this going this way, so lost a lot of money as a child. But yeah, no, I thought it was I thought it was a great match, and even Rick Rude winning the Intercontinental title Jesse Venturn commentary. He is so happy about this because now he's saying, I have all my champions. I got Rick Rud, got Macho Man as my champion, Like I'm feeling great. And even at the end of the night when Macho does lose, Jesse the last line he kind of says this, He's like, well, Gorilla, you got Hogan and I got Rick Rude. He's he's just all about having Rick ruit his icy champion, which is you know, I thought it was a great move to build towards US SummerSlam because they have a rematch where you know, Warrior picks up the win there. But still good stuff. But we do have more filler bad news Brown Rassus Hacksaw, Jim Duggan and.
Speaker 2: Look how look how yeah yeah, look how Rude won that? Yeah? Cheat did There had to be that guy that's the cheat. Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I did enjoy that. Though, again it helps Warrior look like he didn't actually lose because someone had to cheat to beat him. So that helps recruit as a Baby as a heel helps Warrior keep his steam going. But two more matches before the main event, Match number twelve, Bad News Brown versus Hacksaw Jim Dug Him God, we still.
Speaker 2: Have more matches. Stop already, there can't be that many. There cannot be that possibly ninety matches. They cannot. Please make it stop.
Speaker 1: Get in the time machine and tell yourself nineteen eighty nine to stop this then, because we have to see keep going. Red Rooster fights Bobby Heenan. Bobby Heenay got beat up by Warrior. Now he gets to get beat up by Red Rooster. Match last thirty one seconds. But we're moving on finally to the man event of the evening. It's Omega Powers exploding. It's Macho Man versus Hulk Cogan. You brought it up earlier. Why does Macho Man come out first? Is it a healed tactic where he wants to show the world that he is number one, so he wants to come out first, get out the glory as a heel, or is it Hulk Cogan wants to come out to get that pop not being stolen by Savage.
Speaker 2: Really, we need to have this discussion. To me, the better way to play it is that yeah, he is the champion now, so he you know here this you get the you get the entrance, you get the didn't do it, just couldn't do it, and so it it and I think I think it diminished it. And in many ways because of that, I think that that is uh, you know, kind of help or did I mean I should say health? But you know it started this the resentment of hult covid that you have to have everything. Can't you just you know, play it real, like take it seem like this and then you've got to You've got to earn this thing back to me. That would have been bigger, but it's like you already came in. So I was thinking, you know, they're already kind of laying the groundwork here that guess is going to win the match kind of like yeah, he's going to be back on top again. And it kind of ruined it for me to think that way, even though I know, but you know, I'm saying that I want you to create or this reality. There may be a different you know, the dimension, but create this so that I can go for that ride. I want to go for that ride. I want to feel like that you know, there was some doubts. There might have been a little doubt in Pulk COVID's mind that you know, and and all this what had come down to this. What was really great about is look how long they actue to build this story. I mean over a year. Really, it's really almost over a year where you started that they built this thing, and it was one of the greatest because you can't do that anymore. They don't do it anymore. It would be impossible to do it anymore because thing is just everything moves. You know, if you can get a month long storyline, wow, that's tremendous. But just look how long and and uh and I've heard Bruce talk about this too. You know behind the scenes that they they laid this, this whole scenario out, They knew where this was going to climax. And so when they did when we did the vignettes and all of a sudden, they you know, shot that went with this. They were already planning to be able to have these moments that they could go and look back up like when you see like when did all this really when did this start happening between these two? Why is there so much animosity? Why does Randy what why did there his relationship with Elizabeth just fracture so much, and it was all well, so well planned that they could go back because they would say, you know, a look, and they would make sure, uh, you know Randy with the uh you know, when he once I had the knight stick I think he took from the boss Man and and hul Cogan has turned his back to him and he's you know, doing his thing with the crowd, and you can see Randy's got the night stick and it's like it's ruined. You know, it's like wrap this thing across the back of that head of that big fricking yellow thing, and you know, and you could look back at those moments doubt those were all planned and that they could go back and say, let's go back, remember this, and so uh when you look back at it, as far as you know, doing storylines and professional wrestling, this is one of the greatest because it's the planning that went into it to build it to that crescendo and then have eventually, you know, I have it pay off was was brilliant. And so that was a misstep, I thought that and it's it's just simple details. Yeah, but I felt like it just you know, we we talked about with a big fight deal and uh, yet you stumbled on that because you wanted it to be that, you wanted that, really wanted it to happen, and when the payof comes, yeah, oh my god. You know. So really it is a is a masterclass as far as doing storyline, because I remember that how detailed it was and when we would do they shot you know, many of those vignettes at the studio and I remember Bruce and them talking, you know and Vince about this is what you're this is where you what you're going to convey, you know, this is what because this is where we are and storyline, and so it was really it was this is where they really started to plan. Like they didn't. It wasn't so much where they were scripting things because the guys was still doing their you know, train of thought when they were doing that character. But they really the the idea of these detailed, long, you know, storyline to get people where they were going to be, and some were shorter than others. But that's where that that really that storytelling, that method of doing it, what's happening, And that was one of the classic ones still lives way at the top of the mines.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree with you a whole. It happened in October of nineteen eighty seven, when the megapower is formed, and then you roll into April second of nineteen eighty nine. You have had over a year of story building between friends who were originally together. You know, Miss Elizabeth needed Hogan to save Savage from Honky Tonk Man and turning him babyface, and Hogan helped Savage win the world title at WrestleMania fourth Little beats at SummerSlam, where we had glances, hugs, holding hand touching, there's a lot of h Hogan. You get in a Hansy with some guy's girl, like maybe you shouldn't be holding her hand, maybe you shouldn't be picking her up or hugging her in front of his husband, of her husband. That is so the lot of whose side do you want heading into this?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: You on the side of the macho man who who is showing heal tendencies, but in reality he's a man who's pissed off that another man won't stop lusting after his wife, even calling him the luster instead of the holster. So there's a lot of there.
Speaker 2: It's a lot there, no question, and as I call him like eyebrow razors. You know, there were so many times you know you look back and that's what I said, as they would you know, some of it was subtle, right, it was just you know, uh Ulkster opening you know, pulling the rope up for miss Elizabeth, Like why is he doing that? You know because Randy you know, like wouldn't do that, you know or whatever, right, and it was like is he just being a really good guy? It's like is he the luster Jesse the Leicester? And it was it was kind of it was really well done. It really was that they had enough of those and there weren't planning. I mean, like you said, over a year where there was these subtle things that the Hulkster would do that would be you know you think like what if another man did that to my wife? I think I'd be a little annoyed and putting it lightly like what are you doing? It's like talking about for everybody, every woman that's you know, by opening the door for her or something like that, you know, like what do you do? What? Completely innocent? And there's some people going, yeah, he's just being there's other people like man, he wants it. Yeah, he's he's he wants that, he wants a piece of that, you know. So yeah, it was really well done. And as we learned some of that stuff that Brandy was thinking was actually true and like he was, you know, that's the way his mind was working that he felt that the Hulkster was undermining him in real life. So yeah, blurred that line, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, heavy psychology in this one. But it again, it's Macha Man comes out first, Miss Elizabeth comes out second to Macho Man's music, and then Hogan comes out next. And that's the whole point of this. Miss Elizabeth has said throughout the program she's not gonna be in Macho Man's corner. She's not gonna be in Hulk Cogan's corner. She's going to be in a neutral corner. It's about the match. We have little moments of her leaving her corner to go check on each man. Well, Savage doesn't like this and at one point grabs Miss Elizabeth by the chin with his hand and he kind of suggests like he might punch her in the face, and then Earl Hebner or Dave Abner depending on which one got the plastic surgery shows up and stops. That's yelling at Savage like hei, don't touch her, don't you touch her? Leave her alone, so that eventually you know you have hul Cogan, big boot leg drop. We got a winter. We have a new world champion, three time champion. Savage is pissed. He leaves, and Hogan must pose, and so he poses for an endless amount of time, and we go off the air with Gorilla saying you know, hey, well got a new champion. Savage looks angry, and Jesse just says goodbye, and that's the last thing you hear at rest many of five. All in all, I thought this is an interesting event. Mega Powers definitely is the marquis the rest possibly filler, and of course you being licked by the bushwalkers is my main event. So that's just me personal.
Speaker 2: Definitely my highlight of my life. I mean, the world can say that they were licked by a bushwhacker and I am part of that club. So yeah, it kind of uh. I tell you it was not one of my favorites. It stands out to me because of Misselmania, and I mentioned that, you know, I love being in the crowd. I thought I had a lot of fun at this event. It was nerve wracking. I mentioned Lady with Trump, but at the same time I loved being It was a great experience for me as far as getting better. I learned a lot from that, and so, you know, overall it was I can't say it wasn't a great event for me, but at the same time was it and history should have be looked at as one of the great WrestleManias. I can't really say that, but I thought, like I thought that the main event was great. I know the Intercontinental matchup was good. I loved the Andre and Jake Rockers and stuff. So there were some really good matches, just as we said, it was just who many of them. I think maybe it would have been it would have stood out to me overall as an event if there would have been, say, seven or eight matches. They didn't need fourteen. That's what kind of ruined it for me.
Speaker 1: It's just too much fourteen matches. Yeah, I agree, Megapower sticks out as one of the best storylines ever in the WWF and WWE history, so up there with the best top five storylines of all time. But yeah, the event fourteen matches uh, way too many my personal opinion. But I bet someone's gonna say this is their favorite or this is the first event they ever watched. So I just want to say thanks for watching us talk about your favorite event or the event you hate the most on here in the Golden Era with Sean Mooney. I'm gonna go rewatch you getting licked by the bushwhackers right now, So I'm gonna go do that. But all in all, thanks again for everyone enjoying us talking about this amazing event. Heishell Mooney, I'm see fall, have a wonderful day and we'll see you next time. Bye bye. It's all tell me you.
Speaker 2: Gotcha? Then, so fantasy step in the Louis Fel history, then tell me