Speaker 1: KF I am six forty.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeartRadio app IM forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. Hey, welcome home. I am Dean Sharp the House Whisper. I design custom homes and on the weekends, I am your guide to better understanding that place where you live. Today on the show, I want to take as many calls as possible, and also I've got some Makeover Magic to talk to you about the big show tomorrow, All Makeover Magic. I've got a really really big list, but today I'll pepper that in in between calls if we need to. So I'm letting you know right now. Hey, if you've got a question about your home, whether it's design, construction, DIY, whatever the case may be, inside, outside, upside, downside, whatever it is, property line to property line and ground to sky, I am here to help you figure it out. So, whether it's a big concept architectural design question, yes please, or whether you just need to know how to make the toilet from not leaking and anything in between, I'm here for you, and the callboard is open. The legendary Michelle cube handling calls for us today producing the show. So so honored to work with Michelle, and you get to talk to Michelle too. All you have to do is give us a call. She'll tell you everything you need to know. Pop you into the queue, and then you and I we can put our heads together. So traffic is always light right at the six o'clock terminus here of the show. So here's the number to reach me eight three three two Ask Dean eight three three the new to ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. It's just that simple. The phone lines are open now and I'm just gonna yap and yap and yap until the calls start coming in. That's how it works. So, speaking of yap, and let me introduce our awesome team. Sam of course, is on the board. There is are not so live studio audience. How are you doing, Sam?
Speaker 1: How is Hawaii? Very good?
Speaker 2: I'm still on Hawaii time right now, man, I'm still on island time.
Speaker 1: This is great. When did you get back yesterday? Early morning?
Speaker 2: I took a red eye and I got back in and I still haven't quite adjusted yet.
Speaker 1: But there's no better way to adjust than here on this show. With you.
Speaker 2: Oh you were in Oahu, right, that was good. I was, and I found out how fire was discovered. Oh oh, accidentally or intentionally, like it has to do with this dude named Maui.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got you, I got you? All right. Well I could go in it, but that would be the whole two hour show.
Speaker 2: Well, I am glad you had a great time. You sound relaxed. You sound very.
Speaker 1: Mahallow, I'm tanned.
Speaker 2: I feel good, all right, buddy, as I said producer Michelle. Oh, look at Michelle's already taking a call. There is room on the callboard for you a three three two. Ask Dean my buddy. Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk, Good morning, Eileen, Good morning Dean.
Speaker 1: How's it going good? How was Hawaii? Oh gosh, don't tell me. I'm so jealous right now. I wish I could go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah that's the way it works. Yeah, I'll just have this morning. What's our tea of choice?
Speaker 1: Ah, it is a green tea right now. There you go. So you're going for the caffeine. You're going for the.
Speaker 2: Hit, going for the hit. I need it, I get it, I get it. I understand. H glad to be working with you as always. My friend same here sitting across the table from me, my better half, my design partner, co owner, co founder of House Whisper, my best friend in the world. There is her spirit animal entering the building. Tina is here, Welcome home. How is Hawaii?
Speaker 1: Uh? It was great in my dreams, in your dream Well, we do have some friends there that are headed there right now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot. Who is Chris going? Oh, Shawna Naos. That's right, shout out Shawna Naos also going to Hawaiian I guess it's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's the thing. It's happening all right. Anybody go to uh.
Speaker 2: Uh uh, let's see here Coachella. Anybody go to Well Sam, didn't anybody go to Coachella this week? No?
Speaker 1: Is that happening?
Speaker 2: No, no, nothing, Even though you know I'm headlining this weekend, why do you question? And they specifically requested that I get up there, like in between moon Boots and Tea Pain and do a fifty minute presentation on reinforced concrete.
Speaker 1: I mean, that'll be the hit of the day. It will it will close the festival. It will close the festival. As they say, everyone was just.
Speaker 2: All the confusion in the nudity, all the confusion and the nudity, it just ends.
Speaker 1: It's not an exodus. People are just going to start building homes right then and there. We're living here now, that's it, and this is our home. That's it.
Speaker 2: Now that we know how Dean's telling us about reinforced concrete samples, how to make fire, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all we need.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all. I am so glad that you were with us this morning. Thanks for joining us on the program. After a quick news break with Eileen, we're going to get back to it and we're going to go to the phones. It is an all call Saturday morning, plus a little bit of makeover magic wrinkled in in between. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three two Ask Dan. The phone lines are open now, KFI.
Speaker 1: I've just been raptured by the bunker music there.
Speaker 2: Dean Jarp the house whisper. Hey, whether your home is a condo or a castle or a cottage like mine, I'm here to help you take it to the next level. That's what we're about here. Design matters most and all things in construction can can make sense if you want them to, and if you look to the right source. And you know what, I'm not a bad person to hit up for that kind of advice. We are doing an all calls Saturday morning here and maybe some a little bit of a makeover magic tips thrown in in between. The phone number to reach me and the phone lines are wide open eight three three two ask Dean A three three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. Plenty of room for you on the board. Give me a call. Traffic's light anyway, let's go to the phones. I want to talk to Anthony. Hey, Anthony, welcome home.
Speaker 1: Good morning Dean, Good morning, sir. How can I help you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: I just recently bought a house in the High Dos, Pacific, California, and I am looking to install a wood burning stove in this house. Now, I have done this myself. I do work in construction and I'm mechanically inclined. I've done it on older helms before where there was no attic. I would like to do this on my new house that has a tile roof and an attic. Can you give me some insight on how to remove the tile and what type of box I would need to go in the airspace between the room and the ceiling.
Speaker 2: Okay, so uh, when it comes to the attic space, here's the trick with woodburning.
Speaker 1: What what what city are you in? Technically it's a.
Speaker 4: Rural Serdanano County.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so sam Berne County. Right, So here's the trick.
Speaker 2: The California is always moving the the the goalposts when it comes to woodburning stoves, you know, because we've got such heavy regulations on fireplaces in general. You know, first it's like, well, only a prefabricated fireplace. Then it's like only gas burning, then it's only direct vent, and then there are certain types and woodburning stoves shockingly have not been uh you know, are basically there aren't any banned regulations across the state on woodburning stoves. But I have come to realize that every county, every city, has its own take on woodburning stoves and what it wants. And so I'm going to be with you and tell you that I'm not exactly sure where San Bernardino County is at right now.
Speaker 1: My guess is that they.
Speaker 2: Are one of the more liberal counties because of Big Bear and arrowhead and right wood and all of that stuff that I'm guessing they're one of the more liberal and permissive counties when it comes to woodburning stoves because they have so many applications in them. So I can just give you the general general gift. It's one thing to have a cabin and you're just shooting the stovepipe through the vaulted.
Speaker 1: Steiling and boom, you're on the roof. On the other side.
Speaker 2: There definitely are conditions for moving that the flu through an attic space, and I couldn't tell you exactly what they are for San Bernardino, but I'm telling you that what you're going to have is very It's kind of similar to a glorified recessed can housing regulation in the attic, and that is not just the double walled flu going through the attic space for the stove, but there will probably be required a shroud around it, a box shroud around it, so that in no way, shape or form, insulation or any other kind of substance or product in the attic can come anywhere near the heat from the flu pipe.
Speaker 1: And that's not a complex thing.
Speaker 2: It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to anything in our attics, right, hot things passing through our attics need to be double wald or triple walled so that insulation can come into direct contact with the outside sheath and not be heated up or with any threat of ignition. As far as popping through the roof your wood burning stove, the manufacturer is going to be providing you with the roof termination. There's going to be a cap, there's going to be a caller and a flashing, and you probably are not going to have to remove too many tiles around it. The key though, is to do that. I've seen some people just like really stupidly just slide a flashing down on top of the roofing material thinking that somehow that's going to work, and it's it's a disaster. So, yeah, you're gonna have to remove piles around where the penetration of the roof comes through. Then you're going to have to take that flashing and make sure it finds its way integrated into an underneath not just the tiles, but the roofing membrane, the underlayment paper. That's the real water seal flashing of any roof. So there's the process for integrating it underneath the paper and making sure that and these days it's really really super easy, Anthony, just because you know, we've got flashing materials that that and weather guard materials that will adhere down to the paper. You get underneath the lip of the course above, and then you shed out onto the course below, and then you can simply replace the tiles, pop the tiles back in and around give a little clat you I. You have to cut out a couple of the tiles to make room for the roundness of it. But apart from that, the roof termination is super easy. And with all chimneys, the code is that that chimney needs the top of that flu chimney on your roof needs to be twenty four inches higher than the nearest roof around it for ten in a ten foot radius. So that's how much flu you're gonna need to go sticking out of the roof. So if you measure from the roof, it's from the sorry from the flu itself as it comes through a horizontal flat line ten feet out. Okay, you need where ever ten feet touches the roof to that flu. You need to get twenty four inches above that, and that's your overall termination height. Those are the general rules, and San Bernardino County will tell you the specifics, so you call them up. They probably I wouldn't be shocked at all if San Bernino County doesn't have a I mean I wouldn't be shocked. If they have a pul sheet specifically for woodburning stoves. They say, hey, we'll send you the PDF. These are the requirements because we get so many requests for it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they'll tell.
Speaker 2: You everything you need to know and then you know, just stay within those boundaries. But yeah, your go now, is this a full wood burner or is it a standard wood burner as in logs or is this going to be a pellet stove?
Speaker 4: I would like a full standard wood burning stove.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are no restrictions to my knowledge whatsoever about that between you know, it's all woodburning pellet or you know, the pellets are more efficient, but they're less uh, they're less fun to look at, and the woodburners are just I adore woodburning stoves. Whenever we're going to an area like that and we're gonna airbnb or verbo a place I'm always looking around, I would much rather find a cabin with a woodburning stove than one with just a standard fireplace. It's just our preference. We just dig it. So Anthony, good luck, good luck.
Speaker 4: My friend, Thank you, Gane having a good weekend.
Speaker 2: YouTube my friend YouTube. All right, we're off to the races. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean A three three the numeral two.
Speaker 1: Ask Dan. It's an all call Saturday morning. More calls. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: KF I AIM six forty live streaming NHD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks for joining me on the program. Dean Sharp, the house whisper here for you. It is an all call Saturday mon morning, and we've got some calls on the board, but you know, traffic is light. So if you've if you have listened to the show, or you've got a question about your home. I'm just saying it's a great morning to call in and have your best chance of getting on the air. Eight three three two Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two Ask Dean. All right, we're going back to the phones. I want to talk to Grace. Hey, Grace, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Deane.
Speaker 1: Good morning. How can I help you?
Speaker 5: Last week you mentioned of self feeling underlayment to go underneath your of shingles on a roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 5: I've been to two miners and two home depots and they don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're a brand that I can tell them.
Speaker 2: Uh ah, I'm telling you. There was a day Okay, I'm gonna put on my old man vote.
Speaker 1: There was a day.
Speaker 5: When yeah, I got it, you know.
Speaker 2: They My father in law worked for Home Depot for a number of years when I first met and married Tina, and uh, there was a day when home and lows well I don't know, I can't speak for loads, but when Home Depot used to hire retired contractors and builders. Yeah, and they would say, oh, you're a roofer, then of course you're going to work in the roofing section and so on. Now I think they're just hiring kids who were flipping burgers last week, and so all right, all right, all right, So yeah, that's a frustration, but they've still got it. Uh if they only knew. I mean, literally half of their roofing materials are what we're talking about only half of them. So so okay, Grace, here you go, Bran, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. You ready to write the down And here's the thing. Look this up online and the home depot website before you go in, so you can just tell them. Look, it's right here, Grace, Grace.
Speaker 1: Not no, not you.
Speaker 2: The brand name. You're not gonna forget this. The brand name is Grace. Okay, that's the company, Grace.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just pulled up their website and I'm looking at. I'm looking at, for instance, Grace Ice and water Shield.
Speaker 5: Okay, Ice and water Shield.
Speaker 2: Okay, w R Grace or GCP Applied Tech. Now it doesn't matter. Just Grace Ice and water Shield. Uh it is.
Speaker 1: Let's see what does it say.
Speaker 2: It says protects against ice dams and wind driven rain forms, superior water tight laps and seals around fasteners, self ceiling material. So now, now, my friend, the only thing I want to warn you about because you're gonna be talking to experts. There's two versions of self sealing underlayment.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The one version is called that it says it has a mineral surface on it. Okay, you've got tile, right, you're putting tile down? Are you're putting regular shingles down on your roof shingles?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So what that means when it says that there is a mineralized surface or a mineral surface, you don't want that one, Okay, don't let them tell you that one, because that one is like for a flat roof where there's nothing going on top of it and had has all those little rocky pebbles adhered to it.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't want.
Speaker 2: The mineralized surface. You just want the one that doesn't say that that's pure slick. And you know what, opened the top of the Open the top of the box and reach in there and you'll see that it's sticky on one side, there's a pealing thing, and then it's just like smooth vinyl on the other. That's what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thank you so much. I appreciate you beyondwards.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so sweet.
Speaker 2: Thank you, grace, good luck, good luck with those thanks you at the big box store.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, more of your calls.
Speaker 2: Hey Byejean Sharp the house Whisper, welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program today. We're doing an all calls Saturday morning, as we so often do. We are live right in your earballs today talking about your home, anything having to do with your home. So give me a call. You got a question, give me a call. Architectural theory. I'm ready, leaky toilet, I'm ready, anything in between. That's why I'm here for you. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean three three the numeral two. Ask Dean. I don't know why two makes that beep. It's not I.
Speaker 1: Didn't invent it.
Speaker 2: Eight three three two, ask dean number to call me. Uh, we got plenty of room on the board for you this morning. Let's go back to the phones. I want to talk to George. Hey, George, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Solo.
Speaker 1: Hey, I caught you off card got your sleep and George.
Speaker 3: Yeah you did. I have a question. I've been a long time listener of yours and I'm reading modeling my home and you said something about can lighting versus lamps.
Speaker 1: Yes, my house, we use.
Speaker 3: A law of lambs. I guess I'm kind of tired of the lambs. I'm gonna put can lighting. Well, what's your opinion about that? Or you know In the nineteen eighties, and I'm gonna try to major eboli and maybe I'm out put some can lighting still lamps, because we we had lamps all this time.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. I hear you.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, let me get my uh, let me get my soapbox out here. Hang on, Okay, okay, I gotta get up on it here. It's not as easy as it used to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I am so misunderstood when it comes. It's probably my fault. I mean, it's my job to communicate things. But I am so misunderstood, my friend, when it comes to uh, to recessed lighting. And I got a little feedback on your line, George, so I'm popping on.
Speaker 1: Hold. I know you can still hear me. I am not in any way, shape or.
Speaker 2: Form against recessed can lighting, not at all, not at all. But I am against the overuse and the misuse of recess can lighting. And no, I have never said that there should be no recess can lights in the living room or in a bedroom or anything like that, even though it is my preference, and it is true in romantic space, it is my preference to light things in those spaces as much as possible with lamps, up lights, down lamps, reading lamps, whatever, because they provide a better ambient light. But but, but but in my very own home, I have recess lighting in the living room and a little bit in the bedroom. But in line with my philosophy on lighting, which if you talk to real lighting designers like myself or somebody who simply makes their living as a lighting designer, they will tell you the same thing. Now, electricians are not lighting designers, and some are very very talented at it, by the way, but you shouldn't assume that electrician is a lighting designer. Electrician simply lay things out the way it seems best to them. Just like contractors are not architects. Electrician is a contractor electrical contractor. You don't expect them to be a lighting designer. So with that given, I would like to restate my theory on recess can light use in the home and lighting design. Here's the thing, though, we're kind of up against a break and so I want to not rush through it so everybody can hear me discuss it. And I know it's of interest to most people because these days you're like, yeah, let's just put a recess light in, and I'm going to explain very very simply what the theory is. And if you hang on to it, you aren't going to screw it up. And you're going to get to put in the recess can lights like you want George to minimize because when you're fully lamp dependent, I know, chords on the floor, it can be it can be a thing.
Speaker 1: I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Uh So do this favor for me, my friend. I'm going to keep you on hold here. We're going to get through our news break, and when I come back, everybody who is listening, I'm going to tell you why recess can lights, how recess canlights in your home and where?
Speaker 1: How? Why? And where is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we'll do it. We'll do it right after the news. You are listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on KFI. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty