Speaker 1: I love for the people JJ and p D rocket every week.
Speaker 2: This was a terrible decision. I drank way too much tonight.
Speaker 1: And we can't let that happen. We just can't let that happen on this podcast because we are for the people.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, the guy's a hell of a player beyond nails.
Speaker 2: That is the hardest part three of the PJ Tour.
Speaker 1: It's a hybrid three hired or four iron. Every day it's for the people.
Speaker 4: You're the last group off off a split tea horseshoe on number ten and you do a happy get more.
Speaker 3: What the hell's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Well, here we are.
Speaker 1: Jared Dorfler is on Four of the People today. He's an expert at all things golf business, according to Colleen. So here we go. We're going to talk golf business today, golf business season on Four of the People. What are we going to talk about? Well, golf and business. Let's talk about right now. Probably the best time I can remember financially in the history of professional golfer. That goes without being said. Right now for golf companies, equipment companies, they got a big decision with the golf ball. They're going to spend a shitload of money if they have to make another one. What do we think about that?
Speaker 4: Jared probably knows more than you and I do, PD, he knows more than more than we do about it. So Jared, let's let's just start with the golf, with the freaking the USG's announcement which in like two years or whatever the hell they're doing. If they're thinking about rolling back the golf ball for high level amateur and professional professional golf, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, evening boys get to chat with you. First of all, definitely not an expert, just while reading about and learning about golf business. Secondly, Yeah, I've kind of come full circle on this USGA announcement, Like I kind of thought about it today more and the AHAGA put out an announcement and essentially what they said is their players are going to play this new ball. So essentially what's going to happen is there's a new ball for everybody. It's not going to end up just being for the tour guys. Everyone's going to be playing this ball. The ten handicapper may want to play it whatever. So what the USGA just date is they just essentially said, we're in mandate from a third party about what the manufacturers can make. And I don't know a whole lot about R and D and do a golf ball. But what I do know is that titleist in Callaways spend well over fifty million dollars a year in R and D. And it's not like they can just open up their book to nineteen ninety with a Ballota recipe and just push a button and they're going to make a golf ball that is conforming in three years. So it's going to require R and D. It's going to require a lot of testing, dimple patterns, material sourcing, supply chain. It's not going to be easy. And then again, they do have three years, so they have plenty of time to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Didn't I didn't read that about the AGAGA. I mean, I guess that's cool. Those kids are trying to Those kids are trying to make it play there whatever. I mean, I guess they're they're when those kids are practicing at home and their parents are buying them golf balls because obviously they can't afford to pay for their own golf balls if they're twelve, thirteen, fourteen years old or whatever, that's what they practice with at home. What's what's weird is I mean, they'd almost have to say that we're using this ball or you can use both if you want to. But it's super unfair. I would guess if the Ajja kids or anybody else was using the newer ball that is, you know, doesn't go as far as spins more, whatever the heck it is, and then some kids using the other one, that's what's going to get weird. The other thing is And we kind of talked about it when we did like a Twitter spaces. But like when you're a high level golfer, not only driver that's the most important to like fit for a golf ball, but like irons, even wedges, I mean probably not butter, let's be honest, but that's like a whole set of clubs literally that you're that you're playing where you have to be fit specifically for a golf ball. So like the going the balancing back and forth would be difficult. So if they're just using that ball the whole entire time, I guess that makes the fitting or whatever it is a little different. But I haven't heard anyone. I haven't heard any modern players that are at the top of their game. Someone might might have said it a majority that I heard from here yesterday when they announced it, thought this shit was was dumb. But have you heard anything yet from like someone that's way way upper echelon top ten even twenty that's a proponent of it. I just haven't heard anything yet.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't heard anything or anyone that it's in favor of it that would fit that criteria what you mentioned. I just think it's to be really difficult to play two golf balls. I mean, I don't know. I don't see that being realistic. I don't know what the college kids do. I don't know what the you know, the junior kids do. It's gonna be really interesting to see how it plays out. Yeah, the proponents, what I've learned is architecture people right, they're gonna They're after it. They're they're for it. They want to see the architecture of golf courses preserved. Some older, older players are for it. Generally speaking, Tiger, I guess is for it. I haven't seen him say a statement, but people are paraphrasing what he said, so who knows. I mean what what I don't like JJ is I just golf is so good right now. It's like we're throwing We're just throwing a wrench in it. For I guess I shouldn't say no reason, but I don't like disruption. It's like, the momentum is so strong in every different way. Why do we have to disrupt the momentum?
Speaker 4: Well, dude, it's like if you whatever I like. I like using analogies that are stupid because that's what I am. But like if you own the you in the world's greatest pizza franchise and everybody goes there because you have the best like sauce in the world, and then all of a sudden, you're doing the best business business, your wives are making, you're making more money than you ever have. And then you say, you know what, I'm going to change my sauce. And it's going to be in two years. But we're going to change it. Even though it's the best in the world, we're gonna make it worse because we're going to go back to the whatever quality of the you know, brick Oven from Freaking Italy in seventeen twenty seven. I have no idea it Just like, from a business standpoint, if you need to make changes. If your business isn't going well, you need to pivot, you need to whatever it is right if you're running a business, but changing changing something when you're when it's better than it's ever been, that's crazy And Tigers ago, Like, I could never argue against anything he says, but I can probably one million percent guarantee you he'd be singing a different tune if it was two thousand and not twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You know, wasn't he the first person to play a three piece ball on tour?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's he's he's had his own he's had his own kind of personalized equipment, you know, all this stuff with Stamp Nike obviously it was it wasn't anything that anybody sold. His ball was way different. He had a ball. I think his ball might have spun more or whatever, but he had his stuff dialed like he was a super super tech mechanical guy. He wasn't a you know, grab it off the rack whatever. Like everything that he's had has been you know, pretty much calibrated. But yeah, it's very surprising. I mean I heard Jack Nicholas. Obviously, you know he's doesn't play anymore. Maybe he kicks it around every now and again recreationally. But I just haven't heard any of the modern players that are like at their peak, that think it's a uh I think it's a good idea. And that's when you know that it's a bad idea because thank God, like the PGA Tour, players are actually like running the tour now, I mean it's run by players, Like, let's be honest, they're they're doing all these special events for the top guys, making more money, all these things. Like the commissioner doesn't want to do any of these things, like doing it because the players are saying, hey, this is kind of how it has to go moving forward, and boom they're doing it. So it just seems weird, man.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, don't you think that it's going to be a different deal for college players? So college players can use an aluminum bat right now, then they turned pro and they have to use a wooden bat. But if you remember like the gorilla ball days of the nineties and two thousands, remember those bats. Those dudes are hitting it. So there's an East and I forget the actual brand, the model name of the Eastern bat, but a guy did a survey. He went he was a former college baseball player, still in good shape. He got today's baseball bat, these college players using Marucci, and then he got one from like the late nineties, early two thousands guerrilla ball before they changed the bat, and he got them on track. Man compared him side by side, and since the exit speeds on the track, Man like he had to spank one to get it to one hundred and ten exit speed. Uh with today's bat. But then he pulled the gorilla ball bat the easton from the I was like ninety nine or two thousand one two was his first exit speed on track man. So but they but they rolled the bat back and it ended up being like nothing. After five years, guys are still hitting home runs. It's still exciting for the fans. Shit. I mean, I don't know how many home runs Lushues hit through fifteen games this year, but it's at least won a game. So I think it's we're kind of in that that area right now with the golf ball, where it sounds like a terrible idea. Everybody hates it. That's in their prime, right, but then if you do it five years down the road, it's forgotten about it. Sound it feels like that's this is one of those things and I'm not for it. Like I'm definitely not for it. I like, I need all the distance I can get. I'm a short, I'm a short piece of shit hitter anyway I need. I need the extra fifteen yards. But I'm not going to be playing it, obviously. I'm going to be playing the ball from Taylor May that they send me, and it's not going to be the tour ball I'm not. I don't give a shit. I don't want to hit it two sixty instead of two eighty.
Speaker 4: That's probably what they're going to send. Dude, they no joke, That's probably what the lind ub sending. So like Jared was saying, like the AJJA announced that all the kids in their tournaments would be playing the new spinny balls the AGA.
Speaker 1: What about college? So I brought that college analogy. I brought that college college.
Speaker 4: For sure is going to have to if AJGA is playing it, for sure, college guys are going to be playing it.
Speaker 1: Which is which is you think, Oh hell yes, I mean they can use rangebinders. They can use rangebinders in college. They can wear shorts, but they can as.
Speaker 4: A pro that's the highest level amateur golf in the world is D one college at the top, those guys are as good. I mean, the top five guys are pig I agree.
Speaker 1: But there's also a different set of rules right for college for college golf than there is for the PGA Tour. Yeah, just like there is college base.
Speaker 4: But if they're doing it in junior golf, if they're doing it in junior golf, they're going to do it in college golf.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet you, Yeah you think so. Oh So here's what the a j g A said. They if they essentially walked it down the line. They said, our mission and purpose is to prepare our players for college golf. If it's adopt at the collegiate level, it would be an important part of that preparation for our players and college coaches who are recruiting them, which essentially means they're going to encourage their players to play that ball if it's adopted at the collegiate level. And and p D, I don't know how it's not adopted at the collegiate level. When you got guys like Texas tagu what's his name, JJ, he's playing a Yeah, you love but he's playing in its second tour event this week. What's he going to do next week when he goes out with Texas Tech and the switch balls? Yeah, and then come back. I just don't know how you do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, gues see that through. And that's like, are these things going to be on the shelf like they have to be if you're playing the AJGA, This like dumb down. You know, tour ball has to be on the shelf, and you have to have all your favorite brands. So every single brand of golf ball manufacturers is going to have to sack up, spend fifty million dollars and make their own version of this thing. Like I just it's fine, Like I don't know, I don't like it, but I can also see where we'll forget about it really quick, you know, in two or three years. I think that's right.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing that I've kind of come away with. I cannot believe like how divisive this was on golf Twitter and in the golf world. I mean it's like live two point up. It's like if you just tweet the year four against it, you're gonna get ratioed. I simply put a graph up of the R and d Expanse for Titleist and Calaway and literally got ratio and whatever, like some people probably have fair points in there, but I'm just like, holy shit, I had no idea that everyone was this fired up about it. I know you we're going to get excited, but my god, yeah yeah it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Really that goes without saying though it's Twitter, right, Twitter is not really for one for two for two, like I love. I love going on Twitter and just lighting a small fire, like just a real small fire with one tweet and then just reading the responses and just not responding to anyone. That's my favorite thing to do, is like not responding to anyone, but lighting a small fire at the top and just watching it just get bigger and bigger and bigger as it goes. That's the best thing about Twitter is that when you ignore people, it makes them more mad than if you actually like came back with something really really good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's why the mute button is so powerful, Like I've got I've got a lot of people muted, Like a whole lot of people muted, and they don't know, they have no idea, Like that's that's the best, Like they're just yelling into into the black hole at that point. And I love that part about Twitter. But yeah, you're right. I mean, if you pick aside at any time on Twitter people, whether you're wrong, you're what because it's Twitter's not real, it's just not But but the golf ball thing's gonna have to be. It's gonna have to be probably played on the PGA Tour. I would imagine. I would guess that live would follow. I would guess if the World Tour does it to everybody does at college golf, AJGA all the way down. But what I'm what I'm so confused about is is how are they going to get this thing to the regular guy? Like how there's gonna have to be millions of these things made. If they're going to be required in AJGA and high school golf, like they're just gonna be, they might as well just make it the regular ball and not not make a hyped up ball anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make golf hard.
Speaker 4: It's easy of ship, right, That's why, that's why, that's why golfers can't break ninety.
Speaker 1: It's so dumb. Yeah, I'm not for it, but I do I do think we'll forget about it really quickly, dude.
Speaker 4: You know what, you know what be like a nails marketing deal for Live and they're like, fuck this man, we're gonna go anti spin, Like we're gonna anti spin Mafia anti with just pimples, you know, like they did. They pay the Saudi's pay Infinity money to design a ball that goes like forever, Like I'm talking forever. Like they're playing Greenbrier this year, like first hole Bryce and gets up there and like flies the green with driver.
Speaker 3: That would be must watch TV. I mean, are you freaking kidding me?
Speaker 4: Watching guys fly at four hundred in the air PGA Tour they fly it too, just as down eighteen yards, the Live Tour average driving distance REPD is three point thirty nine off the freaking team.
Speaker 1: Uh you pair that with some pure spin wedges and guys are just sucking sucking it back from you know, the back of the green all the way to the front of the green forty yards.
Speaker 4: I mean people are like a guy, I mean, you've played in the Masters, so like my really really I wish you would actually not light small fires. I wish you'd like pour gasoline on them on Twitter. But people are like Augusta Nashal's becoming you know, irrelevant. I was like, I mean, when I look at people that have a green jacket, I'm pretty sure like the Champions dinner, it's not a bunch of people that suck ass in the champ dinner on Tuesday, Like, I'm pretty sure that. I mean, they're acting like Bryson like was driving. They're acting They're acting like Bryson drove thirteen and Augusta. That's what like we were saying yesterday, some of these people are acting like Bryson just pulled up driver and drove thirteen to a foot and tapped in for double eagle.
Speaker 2: I'm I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like, well, Augusta had to spend you know, seventy nine million to extend the tea back fifty yards, so guys would well now instead of three where they're hitting the driver, who cares, they're still eating pitching witch and their guys are stronger than they are too, I mean, p d dude, how much stronger are guys? Well, like, I'm older, but when I would like first started out on corn Ferry and then the guys that when I was like twenty three or whatever, twenty four and the guys were old, like the forty eight year old guys and I don't know, hopefully they're still alive when I was there, however, the old they are now, But like they were a different body style.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: They were like they were like Burrows, Like I mean, I'm wor up. Yeah well yeah yeah, well lump he's alive. But but like, dude, it is it different. I mean, we're talking guys, guys hanging on Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's hanging in there.
Speaker 4: We're talking to like guys that are ten years you know, past Champions Tour now. But it was a like guys are bigger now, they're stronger. I mean, I mean, I don't know, Bernard Longer has been on the Champions Store for a million years. But you know what I'm saying, some of those guys, well, the thing is they're going to catch up to it, like the ball is going to be dumbed down, and then ten years from now they're gonna have to do it again. It's like it's just backwards. You know, they're not going to ever raise the hoop in basketball. They're not going to do it.
Speaker 1: People want to see badass dunks and crazy layups. And stupid finishes to games when you have a bad inbound pass, like that's that's the beauty of it, you know, it's it's people. People evolve with the game.
Speaker 4: Bernard Longer is probably pissed, like he's been on there. He's like eighty six years old and he's winning on the Champions Tour and he's like, now you got Now I.
Speaker 1: Got to play a ball that goes shorter.
Speaker 3: He's like, are you freaking kidding?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Now all that now, only fifty year olds are gonna win out there.
Speaker 1: Like think boring the Champions Tours. You have guys flying it when you're playing part three. Like I caddied in the US Senior Open last year for Buddy Mine. It was it was, It was a good time. But there's a par three out there. It's like two twenty, all right. The guy was cattying for a strong like bull Clay Wings and he was I think he's fifty or fifty one, so he's still young for the Champions Tour and he's sitting four and farther than I do anyway, But some of those dudes like two twenty, that's gonna be a full driver for some of those guys, and that's gonna be on TV like, oh, what's he got? What's what's the caddy saying? Like, what's what's the symbol for driver? Driver? On a par three? It's like a full knuckle, like you know, half of half a baby arm, Like what is it? You know? It's just like it. It's gonna suck on TV too. And guys are pulling three wood on the PGA Tour from two thirty.
Speaker 4: Well, dude, and and and I don't want to say, I don't want I mean people people know that you and I love LPGA. Danielle is like our girl, but like they don't hit it far an LPGA tour at all, and now they're going to hit it shorter too, And it's like, I mean, dude, I'm gonna go to a Champions Tour event and stand in the gallery and someone's going to hit a duck hook off the first tea and I'm not even gonna there, like did you see a ball? And it was probably hit me in the arm and I didn't even feel it because the thing is barely moving off the club face like I have no I have no idea what happened? Did y'all see a ball Like now we got speed bouncing them off people's foreheads every other hole back in the middle of the fairway.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's going to happen to the marshmallow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean who knows, who knows? Like it's gonna They're just gonna have to keep doing it. That's the stupid thing is because the clubs really can't get any better. I mean, how much better can you make a driver? Face? They've been the same for ten years. Remember the ping tias I, Oh, the ping taias I like started it for me. That thing was so good, so good. Couple that with a couple that with the pro Force Purple and gold chef man, that was the best driver made around. Then then you had the pro v and then the ball came came. But the driver, it's like the rebound effect, that tranplated effect hasn't changed much. Three woods have gotten better, three woods have gotten a lot better in the last you know, seven or eight years. They've gotten super hot because there's no cr limit on them. But drivers really haven't gotten that much better. So whatever we stop talking about, stop talking about the golf clubs and the gold Oh don't no.
Speaker 4: Dude, but I think or Jeri can chime in here. So have you heard any have any LPGA or professional golfers have you seen or heard their comments on it?
Speaker 2: It all? I haven't seen anything on it now.
Speaker 4: I mean they're like, listen, I think it's the same as the as the men's game. I think potentially the champions were the same thing. But like, I think the best players are still going to probably win tournaments. But do you wanna do you want to see like let's say the average drivingess is two forty and it goes to like or too sixty one and it goes to like two forty two or something like, and nobody want to see that shit like same with same with the same with the PGA Tour. I mean, it's just it's just something else that I don't know. It seems stupid to me. It seems dumb. The Champions Tour guys, the guys that don't really play that much anymore. Maybe they think it's cool or whatever, but I mean, maybe they just moved tease up. Maybe they play way the hell up.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Have you either of you hit a driver on a par three in a competitive round, like college or.
Speaker 1: After Oh, great question. I've hit three woods, I've hit a bunch of I don't think i've ever hit a driver, though, yeah, I've hit I've hit a bunch of three woods. That's not true. I have hit a driver Marion Marion in the US Open. There was a par three at Marion. I hit driver Marrion at least twice on a part three. But that's that's the only time. Isn't the thirteen twenty thirteen?
Speaker 2: What's the yardage on it? What was the yardage? It's like to eighty five.
Speaker 1: I don't remember to eighty five. Yeah, me and I was playing with Mike Weir, Me and Mike Weir, and we both hit driver. I think I hit it short of the green. I don't know. See that's outrageous.
Speaker 2: I hit driver and a college tournament University of Missari Dumbest part three on her two sixty five into the fan and then coming back was a par four that I hit like four iron on the green. It was just didn't make any sent from an architectural standpoint. But that's the most emasculating thing I think you can do hitting and driver on uh part three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're gonna start seeing a lot of it. Well, not a lot of it, but you'll start seeing more of it if they do this. Like there's guys on the PGA too, like like Brian Gay. Brian Gay still plays on tour. His ball speed's like one fifty.
Speaker 3: It's like negative, you know, it's like negative.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, that this curious drivers like two two sixty, two fifty five. I like Beach, I'll be in beg forever. But dude, if you tell him he's going to lose twenty yards in the air at two fifty five to sixty.
Speaker 2: Come on, not going to be thrilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, I mean some of these yeah, some of these majors have long I mean the thing is like two forty five par three eight if the wind's favorable, whatever, it's the guys are sliding four iron or whatever. But oakemand had a number eight at Oakmont was like three bills and they had a crossbunker there. But that the problem with the reason why guys don't hit drivers now, and it's not really like the number like two eighty five into the winter is probably driver, but it's just it's a little emasculating, like you said. But also like the spin is just weird, so even if it hits the deck, it's like tumbling, like it just doesn't work out, like it's got to be fluttering, or if it's a fair way. I mean usually Driver is the only club in the bag. We're like not trying to hit a distance just far, far and solid right, Like that's the goal every time with Driver, you hit it a little sandy hill, a little thing like every other club, where like if you're hitting a three wood off the tee, you're hitting a three wood because you're trying to hit it a specific distance right, not too far, there's ship on the left, right whatever. But I think, uh, the driver, yep, yeah, or you got drive yeah, driver, Driver, So you're just trying to You're you're just guidy guidy with goutti with the three wood.
Speaker 3: But dude, I think we could see.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was looking at I was looking at some of these I've I've played all this says that monkle I played.
Speaker 1: That's two seventy two that could be into.
Speaker 4: The wind Driver, But a lot of these are at elevation, so it's kind of fake news. I don't I don't know the US Open this year I think has a three hunch the USGA is.
Speaker 3: Going to do really and they have it, yeah, but then they have.
Speaker 1: Like a fifty year old or something.
Speaker 3: You could have one that plays eighty seven and they're gonna have a three hunch.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I like the three hundred. I mean maybe like two forty and eighty seven, but whatever.
Speaker 4: Long part threes are probably the laziest golf architecture thing you can do. If you have a long part three, you need to have like a badass one of the template green styles like at Red Feather we have one, but we did punch bowl, we did reverse punch Bowl half one. But like at Red Feather we did two forty, we have two forty eight, one seventy one, fifty five and ninety nine. So like you have different long part threes are just lazy, Like you've got to have a green complex, badan whatever you want to call it, where like loops it in because then it's just like right, it's just.
Speaker 3: A waste of a hole.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of the time, I mean I think people would way rather play like a one fifty where you can maybe make a dub because the green's crazy. Maybe there's a hazard, maybe there's a wild bunker that you can dump it in. But a twenty handicap can make a birdie like a no twenty handicap making birdies on a two thirty five. I mean it could happen, but it's probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you played high level golf. I mean you played at Missouri? Were you there? When were When were you at Missouri?
Speaker 2: I played at Northern Iowa. So at the University of Missouri invite when they played there, I had that. Yeah, No, I'm not Northern Iowa. It's ben major golf. I mean I wasn't good enough to play with urry.
Speaker 1: I mean you still understand numbers, track man and all of the high level collegiate golf things that you know that collegiate golfers would understand. But so when you're how did you transition into business insider doing the business of golf? Now you're you're you're I just you know, looks you up for the last day and a half. But you've got you've got all kinds of stuff going on, dude, Like are you in with like equipment contract numbers and all that. You know what guys are making?
Speaker 2: Do you know any of that the specifics I mean, I don't know specifics on certain things. I mean Asians sometimes will float me something, but generally speaking, though, I mean, I've got a good idea one of the most interesting things. And I'd like to hear you guys take on this. You're talk about like equipment contracts, pete is like insurance contracts, like they become pretty popular right now. So sure, let's say you want to play again. How many starts do you have left on corn Faery five? Five? All right, so you want to go play again, right and let's say that you want to get hooked up with somebody. Let's just say it's Taylor made whatever and your agent, guys, and Taylor may be like, hey, if if John Peterson, when's the corn fairy, that will give him one hundred thousand dollars, but he's gonna play for nothing. And then they go and they ensure that with an actual underwriter. And that's you know, Darren Clark was paid nothing to wear the Dumblop logo when he won the Open Championship, and I think he ended up making three and a half million dollars off the deal. But those are becoming more popular and they're interesting because no one really knows about him. I guess I should say no one. They're under the radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the hard thing about those is you have to you have to work a percentage of So, say I have five events, right, I have never won in the corn Ferry Tour. Okay, I've finished second three times, third, twice, fifth, whatever, but I've never won, won the money list, but I've never won, So technically my odds are pretty shitty, right If I'm gonna win one of those five, so then you then you get into Okay, so he's played what I spent one full year on the cort Ferry Tour, so was thirty events? Call it thirty events, had three seconds, two thirds, fifth number one though, So if I'm only going to play five, and I'm old, decrepit, beat down, had surgeries for kids, slow, all this stuff, like, my odds are pretty I bet I bet they would take that for less than five thousand dollars, right, Oh yeah, on that insurance policy for one hundred thousand dollars payoff, You know, I think it'd be less than five I think they'd be crazy not to, But you're right, I think that's an interesting business perspective from golf. And I actually had a deal like that when I was playing five or six years ago, is when I was. It was when I was wrapping up, but it was it was exactly like that. I was on a medical and if I kept my car, titleist at the time was going to pay me big. If I didn't, they weren't, and I lost my card by point five eight FedEx Cup points at the Greenbrier, needed a two way tie for thirteenth, then finished in a three way TI thirteenth. So but yeah, those are I guess they are becoming more popular. And really those are more popular for the mid major guys, the guys in you know, the the eightieth to two hundred spots on the FedEx Cup because you're you know, you're your will z Alataurus isn't gonna take a deal like that. It's just not Sam Burn's ain't gonna take a deal like that unless it's huge. These guys they want they want to know what they're making so they can budget and how many times are they going to the same I'm going to fly straight into Rustin from Connecticut, you know, and shit like that they got to worry about. But what kind of what kind of deals have you worried about, Like who's doing those kind of deals.
Speaker 2: From like the sponsor stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like who's doing the insurance stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I wrote a piece on it, and I talked to black Swan Sports. They're actually based in Ireland and they underwrite a lot of these deals and so yeah, you know, a lot of confidentiality agreements in place so we can share specific players, but they work with several So he said they indirectly work with thirty of the top one hundred world, top one hundred players in the world. But as you mentioned pdah, I mean will Saladturs he's gonna want to guarantee, right, But what they might underwrite is will Zalators to win the Masters and they'll give them a million dollar bonus one of his spawns. But UKG maybe they give a million dollar bonus. They literally go to the betting odds and they're like, okay, what are the odds that he wins? All right, I'm just hypothetically making up with say it's one point five percent. That costs the sponsor UKG fifteen grand to underwrite that with black Swan then, so from what I understand it's fairly I won't say it's fairly prominent, and it's it seems to be growing quite a bit, but it's a super interesting business. They underte like Ryder Cup, team outcomes, major outcomes, multiple winners per year, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So most of these numbers are performance based. They're not fare contract minimums, they're not plenty of it minimums, nothing like that. These these are performance based things. And I would imagine that there's a ton of them. So like maybe win one major X, win two majors X, win one PGA Tour of it X, make the Ryder Cup team X, you know, and all of those I guess what you're saying is are mostly insured. But when Colleen was on tour and I was on tour back then, if you got two hundred thousand dollars as your base, that's what you got. And what you're saying is that numbers coming from the company more than likely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And they're just trying to put more They're trying to put more money out there, right like it. Here's a good example, like a top player could expect like an eight bigger bonus. So, for example, Rory mcroyds if Rory wins the Masters, he's making a ton of money from a sponsor bonus somewhere. Who is it, don't really know, but is it Taylor Made, is it Nikes? Is it somebody else? I don't know, but it's likely if if Rory or Scottie or any any top player wins the Masters, that they'll receive an eight bigger sponsor bonus from somebody that's been underwritten on an insurance company contract like hit Decki's Masters win might be the greatest, one of the greatest wins from a money standpoint of all time. No one really talks about it. Like golf in Japan, it's so big. Stricks On and Lexus want to be all over him and he can basically name his number and he's I mean, from what I understand, it's probably why he turned down Lived because he can make that money with sponsors. Not I haven't confirmed that, right, but we can we can assume.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the talk was, the talk was like he was going to go to Live. He was one of the hot names or whatever, and now these guys have equity, your own part of their team. But the talk was that these guys were going to get legitimate spot answers to own the teams like f one, like for you know, Ferrari for everything like that. Red Bull and tricks On obviously they're the candidates who owned the team for him. I'm going to guess that deal just like fell through because it probably if trickx On owned the team and he owned it like he's he's a good candidate for it, like he's still got plenty of game or whatever. But dude, p D, I don't know when the last tour event or whatever when you were there, but like he played or whatever in San Antonio a few years ago when I was there. But ain't nobody travel around with more people than Hadeki Matsiyama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's twenty guys.
Speaker 4: He has twenty people on the putting green, and seventeen of them can't break a thousand if you gave him a golf perfect set of clubs.
Speaker 1: Was the same way, you know when we're when real Real Real and me got our tour cards same year, fall of thirteen, and we played together a ton of times that first year. Same thing, dude, we could be the first people off seven to twenty tea time. You know, I'm half hung over from the night before, just chugged a cup of coffee, barely ate. Roll up to the tee and it's packed with Asians, and I'm like, Jesus, there's not an American in sight around here. None of them speak English. There's cameras all over the place, and I could barely open my eyes. But you better be ready if you're playing with one of those dudes, because they're going to bring They're gonna bring the cameras, They're gonna bring the media. And I guess I guess those guys like just stay over here for weeks months on end, because they sure as shit, we're at every event that Hitducky get real play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're media Like, there's a lot of media, and I think, like, like real, like he learned English pretty quick Yducky like either doesn't even.
Speaker 1: Try or he pretends. He pretends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like he gets like over it.
Speaker 4: Like if if someone asks him a question that he knows, like he'll answer you, but it's a question that feels uncomfortable with. He's like, yeah, I'm out like well interpreter of this ship right here, but he you know, haw DECKI knows enough by now he's been here for whatever, well over a decade now. But dude, Japan, you're right, they like the Asian golf market used to just be Japan. It's obviously not that way anymore. There's there's a lot of stuff in China, but Korea Korea's got like crazy big so like South specifically South Korea. The North Koreans aren't that great at golf, but South Korea, South Korea or whatever, Kim Juhn whatever had seventy five hole in once. I guess it's you know, one year.
Speaker 1: But an issue like eighteen.
Speaker 4: Killing f you say otherwise, but but but dude, you sed to just be South Korean women. There is no good South Korean men really until until you got like uh kJ and like why Yang made a huge obviously like beating Tiger in the PGA at Hazel team, but they you know, and they'd have to go to the army for two years ago. Now they're South Koreans and they're whatever, great personalities, young, they're youngest shit, and they're freaking the South Korean guys. There's almost just as many as the women, the South Korean women on the LPGA tour, So that's probably the mecca of Asian golf right now, but still Japan has tricks on Japan. You know, they're making all the they're making the equipment, they're making all all of these things, and dude, golf Asia is it's humongous. It's probably bigger than europe golf.
Speaker 1: I would say.
Speaker 2: I mean, Japan alone is the second biggest market in the United States and golf in the world, So I mean it goes the United States, then it goes Japan, and I mean that's why you look back at some of the events if you wanted to kind of just circle back like Hadeki and Live, it's if Live would have gotten Hideki, it would have been absolutely massive. They would have probably gotten a pretty sizable TV contract for Japan and other parts of Asia, and they would have been huge. And the fact that they weren't able to close deal with them or whatever happened is I don't know. I would imagine Love Guy yourself talking about it.
Speaker 1: Who do you think goes next? Like I've thought this through for a month now and they've been pretty set in stone with who they have now, and it really hadn't moved much other than the Brendan Steele whatever, who the hell else went a month ago? I don't remember, But I just don't know if they're going to have a big name go this year at the rest of the year. Like, I just don't see any anyone that's playing on the PGA Tour right now that's playing in the big events at least getting into the elevated events. It's going to want to go and obviously that was their purpose for making those events, and it's working like four point five million bucks to Scheffler, all right, unless liv starts having like forty million dollars versus every week, I just don't see these guys that are playing in elevated events going anymore. Even with the cuts.
Speaker 2: Ted Scott's already made a million dollars this year, not even in April yet. Yeah, I mean a Caddy has made a million. The the payouts on the PGA Tour, I mean, obviously credit. I think there's two sides that I think the PGA Tour was going to get there, but they're gonna be unprofitable. Well, they're going to take a loss this year. Credit to them for speeding it up, but credit, I mean Live sped them up, so it wasn't for Live. We want to see this this year.
Speaker 1: Fuck No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you would go to live right now. It doesn't make a lot of sense obviously if they're going to throw it in like a hundred million dollar guaranteed, that that's different. But dellaturist, I guess to turn down what one thirty five or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if any I don't know if anyone goes man, I really don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have to be serious, serious cash, serious cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that'd be the only reason, right, it's and it's fine. Like the guys that are young guys could go that went like more. The guys that are respect the most are the guys that went first, like Hudson Swafford. Dude, Hudson Swafford played in that first London event. I saw him the week before he left to go to it at the Sectional last year up in Columbus when he had announced that he was going, and it was it was such a weird vibe up there around the guys that were going, and there was only a couple of them, but was one of them. And I've known HUDs since we were kids playing golf. But I came up to him. I was like, dude, I'm so like, I'm proud of you for I'm just proud of you for doing this, Like you're gonna have the nuts to do this.
Speaker 2: I don't know what his number was.
Speaker 1: I would have to think it was north of ten million dollars to go there. But those guys that went first, like the sack on those guys massive. You know the guys that go now, it's like, all right, whatever. Oh, Danny Lee was one of them. Danny Lee went recently too. He's a great player. Danny's us sandwich camp. He's not putting cheeks in the seats. Not going to colonial to watch Danny Lee. Sorry, not going to watch Brendan Steele. I'd go to watch HB three. Like HB three is one of the most charismatic characters in all of golf, regardless of tour. Love the guy. One of the only black dudes in professional golf period around the world, you know, like regular, that's a black dude. That's HB three, that's my guy, you know. But there's just not many of them. So yeah, I don't see anyone going. I don't see anyone going the rest of the year, especially if they're in the elevator.
Speaker 4: Cam Smith was wild. Cam Smith was a wild one to go at number two in the world after winning a major with probably infinity money in endorsements coming his way, and he's young. Joaquin Neeman would have been in the same boat if he would have won a major instead of cam Smith. Those two are like, those are their two biggest guts. Phil Mickelson name brand recognition. I mean, DJ is probably their biggest game.
Speaker 3: Well DJ is, but like ca' DJ. Nothing against DJ.
Speaker 4: DJ's like phenomenal, freaking like and I think everybody everybody enjoys playing golf with DJ's fast, got a great game, all these things. But like cam Smith was like straight up in the absolute prime of his career, Like literally could not have been more of in the prime of his career than he was like two months after winning the British Open Prime. I don't even know if Jake Neim is old enough to drink yet, and he was like twelve in the world and he went so like those two are that's when that's that's when like the money thing would have to make sense. We're what they're gonna have to do to compete. Really, they're gonna have to snipe young dudes. And now that that, I think you can go to the PGA, Like Ludwig is playing the Vaalsbar again this week. Shit, he's playing a freaking full PGA tour schedule pretty much.
Speaker 3: Then he's still in college. So I mean, that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: JJ. Yeah, they're gonna like screenshot at the end of the year the top twenty PGA too, are you ranking? They're gonna try to pick off like three or four of those guys are gonna offer him. Like from what I've been told James Piatt, like eight million dollars. That could be wrong, but last year darn.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I understand it. I understand it.
Speaker 2: Why whe do you go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to what.
Speaker 2: You're twenty you're twenty two years old. Eight million dollars, you've never had status and a tourist. They can't, I mean, I can't really suspend you, although they're trying to. Now, eight million dollars is life changing money if you're smart with it, like you don't really have to work.
Speaker 3: Again, it's his background, usam usam champ.
Speaker 2: Why do that?
Speaker 1: But yeah, did he come from it? Probably didn't come from. Like that's that's what I like. That's what That's what I really like about the Live stories is some of these dudes that got paid grew up with not much, and HB three is one of them. Dude, Like HB three is like middle lower class raised and now he's now he's got a foundation that helps hundreds of kids literally hundreds, maybe thousands of children in Gastonia, North Carolina, where he's from. And maybe maybe Pat's the same, like you went to Michigan State USAMM. I don't know his background, but those are the guys that I really like seeing get the bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean he didn't have status anywhere, so like that's easier.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 4: Dude, what's gonna hit Like Ludwig in whatever he's not going because but now that he can. I mean, they almost have to let the PGA tour you at least if you finish one, get in the elevated events the next year on the PGA tour. You know what I mean, you have to there's gotta be some incentive for guaranteed money.
Speaker 2: Absolutely have to. And JJ, I sorry to cut you off, but this hits me excited because no other sport like you could be the number one draft pick in the NFL. You're guaranteed money, tens of millions of dollars. You'd be the number one college golfer. You're guaranteed shit. You go to the Corn Ferry Tour the media earning his under sixty thousand dollars a year. Okay, great, congrats, you just lost money for being the best collegiate player out there. And that's why I'm passionate about it. Because the tour wants to continue to develop and be good that there is other option right now, it's go live, and so they're going to have to protect that pipeline of kids that come up because golf's never been good golfers are We're going to continue to have stars. So let's make sure that, I mean, if you're the tour, let's make sure they're coming to the tour not somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like if I'm if I'm in whatever reason, Leviock, but I'll use someone else an example. They actually have another kid. I think they have like two kids in the top three rankings in the in the US right now. So credit to coach stands here. But yeah, if they're sitting here offering him infinity money, you know, and be like, hey, I might take that. But the PGA Tour is like, hey, you're in all of the elevated events next year with no cut, and you're a PGA Tour member, and if you have a train wreck dumpster fire of a year, guess why you feel it still a full PGA Tour status the next year. That's pretty good incentive right there. Like then then it's all of a sudden, it's like, well, shit, I want fifty million dollars if I'm going to go you know what I mean, or whatever it is. Because if you're guaranteed, if you're in the eight elevated events, guaranteed pretty much guaranteed to get into the FedEx Cup playoffs, if you finish last in all of them, almost they're probably going to be more points no cut, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that's crazy to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, PJ Tour like pd PJ Tour, you like, if you finished tenth, I don't know, was it two years ago? You went to PGA Tour Canada, right, yeap, which is great, Okay, you know what the median earning earnings are on PJ Tour Canada's ten grand. So you're like the tenth best player in college, You're gonna go make ten grand. Like And I get this golf some meritocracy, I get it, But there's got to be something that we can do that. I mean that the tour can do differently. And I think that they have addressed it to be to be fair to the tour, I think that they have made it better a PGA tour. You standpoint, but I think they all needed to shore it up a little bit if they want to keep having these good these good kids come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. First, so you said something really interesting a second ago. You said, the PGA Tour will lose money this year, right, this year and last year, yeah, and last year. And I know that they have they found billion, you know, I don't know how many, maybe a billion, two billion dollars they just found under their couch cushions over the past six months to pay these guys. But so they've got a runway. I mean, they've they've got a few years of runway here, but they're going to have to figure it out quick because it's that money's going to go away if you're going to try to hang with Infinity money Saudi Arabia for a long time, right, So what do they do to stay with live like sponsorship wise or where do they find the extra money?
Speaker 2: Well, so here's the deal. They They obviously have a new media deal this year which was quite a bit more money, so that allow them to pay more money back into their players. And there's also a couple other things as well. One thing that I think no one has talked about that I have confirmed with the tour is the TGL. The PGA Tour has equity in the TGL. And so if the TGL is going to go and get a media deal, let's say the media deals I'm throughout hypothetical number. Let's just say the media deal is one hundred million dollars a year, which who knows, that's probably higher low. I don't have no idea. The tour, let's say owns twenty five percent, they're going to recognize twenty five million dollars of that. So they do expect to recognize revenue off the TGL because they do have equity in there. So the media deal, and I think partly the equity and the TGL is is where they're getting some of that money from.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for our followers don't know, our listeners here that don't know what the TGL is here, give us a breakdown of the PGA Tours deal with this TGL league.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the TGL stands for. What does that stand for?
Speaker 1: Golf League Golf Limited.
Speaker 3: I'm just making it up.
Speaker 1: I don't know, no idea, we don't we don't do research. That's why I got here the TGL.
Speaker 3: Someone you to explain it to us basically is what.
Speaker 2: So the TJIL is coming out in January of twenty four or I don't know exactly how many events they'll have, but I believe it will be on Monday nights. I think somewhere like twelve to fifteen events per year. They're gonna be like two to three hours. I think they're gonna be in South Florida somewhere every Monday, and it's gonna be stadium golf with like entertainment. And so they've signed like Tiger, Ricky Justin, like Billy Orschel, like all these guys, Scottie, They've signed to this league Xander, and they're gonna they're gonna play on teams essentially every I should say every Monday, but so many Mondays per year, and they're gonna create, try to create it essentially a different golf league. It's like golf entertainment league, and they're gonna try to sell it as immediate package. And so Tiger and Rory started Tomorrow's Sports and the first order of business was rolling out the TGL. And I would imagine that the TGL is going to roll out different styles of league, whether it's like tennis or I don't know whatever, bigger all at different leagues. They're gonna try to make this like a massive company. I mean, there's just no other way around it. And so that's essentially what the TTL is in a nutshell, tech fused golf league, Tech golf League. There's a huge there's a massive gambling component to the whole thing too, though, right like, as isn't that part of the this deal? I don't know. I don't know that for certain, but I hope so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think it is. They go to a stadium and they hit balls from like the rafters down to greens on the field, and people pay to go drink beer and eat corn dogs and watch Tiger Woods hit a golf ball from the lights down to the field or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I believe they're they're building a stadium. I think it's going to be. I'm looking at the it's gonna be like it's gonna be at Palm Beach Gardens. It's gonna be at Palm Beach State College. It's like an indoor gambling deal, right right. Yeah, And I don't know exactly how it's gonna play out, so I want to misspeak. I don't know if they're gonna and the into they're gonna be like simulators and screens or and then they're gonna have real real green there.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the exact place, dude, you're on for the people. Just make a bunch of ship up.
Speaker 1: No one cares, you know, somebody will haven't true thing here yet.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but he's as what's known as a reputable source. God dang it, that's not true. What were we getting ourselves into here? Yeah, so there's a huge gambling component to it.
Speaker 4: So gambling is part of our new golf culture, is what Tiger Wood said when they were talking about it.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, nervous and it's league base and team base.
Speaker 4: I don't know where we've heard this one before, but yeah, so the guys involved are going to make Infinity money. I'll tell you that they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna make a ton of money doing it right. And I asked the tour like what the arrangement was, and they will not confirm what that arrangement was with me. Essentially, did they have to pay to get equity or are they allowing their players to play in it to get equity? I don't know what they arrange minutes, but it really is a win win for everybody. I mean, the tour is allowing their guys to play, and then the guys are going to make more money.
Speaker 1: And you can watch them on Monday. Isn't that funny what you just said. The tour is going to allow their guys to play in it, like they have them.
Speaker 2: That's not what they said to me. That's that's my words.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like they have them handcuffed like it's just such a piece of shit. Well anymore though they don't anymore, They really don't. Yeah, but that that is it's it's kind of it's the right word. I mean, it's the right word because that's what you feel when you're a member of the PGA Tour. Look, I wanted to be on the PGA Tours. Does got there? Couldn't believe I got there? Sweet, I'm done with it. Cools a good time. But like nowadays, if I put myself in a Yako Nieman's shoes, and I'd probably do the same thing he did, dude, Like, I would probably do the same exact thing I just And if you put justin like if Justin Thomas goes back to twenty fourteen, Justin Thomas at twenty thirteen or twenty fifteen, Justin Thomas before Justin Thomas became Justin Thomas, and Justin Thomas was offered one hundred million dollars to go join this new league, he'd probably do it too. Like. That's That's where I don't get the hypocrisy. It's it's the guys that have already made a ton of money or the guys that are talking against it, they don't understand perspective.
Speaker 2: Totally totally see that side of it. I think what the fair statement is is that everyone's situation is different and there's not one solution for everything exactly. And so I mean, I dance around the lib golf for a lot of reasons. Hey, I'm like middleman Dan, I just want to play it down the middle. I don't want to take a side because whatever side I take, I'm gonna get jumped, you know, my throat jumped down. And I just think we need people need to be really careful that that are hard against live from where the money is coming from, because the PITH is invested in virtually everything, and so they're an Uber and Facebook, And if you're not using either of those, Bank of America and Disney.
Speaker 1: Apple Apple, you have an Apple iPhone make them on.
Speaker 2: So I know it's different than the state sponsored So I understand that argument as well. But yeah, I'm not going to see her and say I want to take the money. I'm not going to sear it and say I would take the mics. I don't. I don't know. I had like a seventy seven scoring average my senior year at college. Like, I'm fifteen strokes away from taking an offer.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, that's nice hockey sticks, Hell yeah, perfect?
Speaker 3: What's up for the people?
Speaker 1: Fam.
Speaker 4: We're super excited to have Gooder Sunglasses as a sponsor for the entire year. Gooder sunglasses every pair of twenty five to thirty five bucks, one percent UV protective, one hundred percent polarized, and they make great golf specific lenses. They make brighter lenses. They make a dark lens called back nine Blackout that's my favorite for multiple reasons. So go ahead and head to w WuW dot goo dr dot com. Insert code FTP fifteen. That'll get you a nice little discount. Also, free returns within thirty days, one year warranty, free.
Speaker 3: Shipping over fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: So go ahead, get yourself a couple pair of goods and have a day. Hey guys, we all know golf is hard, but looking good on the course definitely doesn't have to be. Our guys that Live Forever Golf promote a comfortable lifestyle on and off the golf course. They've got Polos golf shorts, five pocket performance pants, out of wear, activewear, a bunch of cool T shirts, a bunch of cool hats. You can go to live forever golf dot com and remember remember it's for the player, not the game, So use code nails twenty to get yourself twenty percent off Live forever golf dot com.
Speaker 3: Their nails check them out.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about I'm kind of stick of talking about. To be honest with you, I'm kind of beating a dead horse. I really am. We've talked about it for a year now.
Speaker 3: I want them to drive greens.
Speaker 1: That's what I want. Yeah, So let's business of golf. Though, like club contracts have always injured, they've always intrigued me. We've talked about this on the podcast before, Like I passed up a pretty big offer from Galloway right out of school to sign for nothing with Titleists because of the loyalty I was showing them. Right, have club contracts gone insane like basis for guys in the last few years? That calmed down a little bit.
Speaker 2: That I don't know from what I understand reading through the lines and talking to an agent about this, is that companies aren't moving as much product by sponsoring players as they are now influencers. And I think we've seen that. Like everyone was sick of the tailor made deal two years ago, but they did it again. So what does that tell you? You guys are smart enough to understand what that means that that worked, so obviously there's something to it.
Speaker 1: Maybe we're not smart to understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean like, look if if a company like Taylor Maye thatsks private equity involved, which private equity people captain numbers like every penny if they're going to go out and do you know, I would imagine a seven figure marketing campaign with influencers that they're gonna do it because I worked the first time. So and I mean you see titleists with no laying up, You see h Taylor may before playing, and see Calawai with Good Good. I mean they're marrying themselves to media influencers right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say like ever since, ever since they got those big contracts, like for play Good Good. We're small time, very small time. But dude, I asked when I asked for a driver now and I used to feel bad about asking because I'm not playing anymore. I still feel kind of bad. But they'd be like, you're sure, what do you want? Like just put it on Instagram? Like shit, really, can I get this? This? This? This, this this, They're like, yeah, like the money's there. If you've got ten thousand, fifteen, twenty thousand followers and all those people, you know, you tweet it out and those people see it, that's you're selling more golf clubs than Harris English walking down eighteen with a ping hat on. You know, you just are. And if you're doing something like stupid or funny, or you catch a tagline on Twitter like Colleen goes in his backyard and hits it to a damn net for an hour and then Chucks Miller live. But he's using callaway clubs like, oh man, this guy, I'm gonna buy a callaway club because Colleen can hit it through his fence into his neighbor's yard.
Speaker 2: I'm strong.
Speaker 4: I'm strong though, so I dude, I talked about before even social media influencing was even like a thing really, like you know whatever. Ten years ago I was talking to the guys and they're like, there are and it's the same today. Probably there are ten people professional golfers in the world that probably like sell clubs where boom, Rory mcilroly hits that driver. Holy shit, I got to have that driver because Rory hit it. Like Colin Moricawa is a hell of a golfer. He would beat me every single day as long as he woke up in the morning. They would more than likely beat me. Ain't nobody buying a driver because he's hitting it, he's marketable though, that's the other component, Like he's wearing the hat, he's marketable. Got the good smile, good looking kid, blah blah blah blah blah. But like DJ back in the day, Bubba with the pink cheft, there's like ten people that actually sell clubs and the rest is like, is this guy marketable? But now social media people are all marketable because you can you can it's easier to gauge their their worth, Like you can do a freaking code type in FTP whatever, and you can see are these guys work worth the shit?
Speaker 3: Are they marketable? It's like, oh yeah, look at what their sales are because of this code.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's why the social media thing sells a bunch. I mean, Tiger I left him out obviously marketable and the best guy a Nobody want to buy a Nike driver ever, ever, ever, ever, but Tiger hit it, so that's the only reason they probably ever even sold one.
Speaker 3: How about the sasquash right.
Speaker 2: The possibly the worst driver that's been developed in a modern golf age. Tiger shows up to a gust that with a Nike driver sells a shot at him. Yeah, like those fly off the shelves.
Speaker 1: People played the Nike golf ball, which isn't even Tiger didn't even play a Nike golf ball because Tiger had a swish on his ball that was a bridge Stone ball. Tiger had a bridge Stone ball with a swish on it for fifteen years, and people bought a Nike ball, which was a piece of shit, a literal piece of shit golf ball. I remember I had a dozen of them. Remember when Nike did like the British Open Tiger won, and like they had the first round, second round, third round, fourth round, they had pictures to hitting. Do you remember those? I had all of them. I had all of them, like the collector Nike golf balls because oh my god, this is the ball Tiger he uses. Come to find out, like five years later, ten years later, I figure out that Tiger actually never used the Nike golf like the entire time. It just got scammed, like he scammed everyone. But it works because he used it. Right. But that's the same thing with social media. People want to they want to go buy what barstool Trent is using because they can relate with them. They're a twenty handicap. He's a twenty handicap. He uses this chef, this head. All right, I'm going to use that. That's more relatable than what Rory McElroy is hitting. You can't hit that club, I promise you. But you can hit with barstool Trant's hitting.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 1: I totally get it. Like it makes one hundred percent sense that these guys that are entertaining that use these golf clubs, club companies are finally taking care of them because they're selling golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I say.
Speaker 4: It goes back to the golf ball. You nobody want to play a super spinny tour ball whatever it is, but they're going to look at their titlest had They're going to play a totally different ball. It's just marketing, marketing component of it. It's like boom there it is roasted. It's like Speed Speith is like one of the most marketable guys on tour. Hell of a nice guy, like obviously Pete and I know him. Like everybody wants to sponsor Speed, but like, are you buying? You can't buy the circle. You can't buy a double on nine circle tea. You probably can for ten grands and on the internet, but like are you buying the irons and wedges? No, but you're seeing the titleist logo like marketable wise, So I mean that's that component. And then you got guys, then you have there's always some guy that's ranked like fifteenth in the world and he's maybe we're looking he's not marketable, he plays whatever, and he's probably got like a contract that's like way shittier than's some guy ranked one hundredth you know that's got like a nice smile and all these other things happens all the time, like me infinity infinity dollars.
Speaker 2: I got a question for both of you because you guys both played very high level college golf. Piecu and lys I played at Northern Iowa, which is we had our budget was fifty thousand dollars. Here, we drove the tournaments and rented fifteen passenger vands, and it was a little bit different level, had a ton of sung We caught fire every now and then. But have you guys seen what's going on college golf lately? Like Alabama's building a new thirty eight million dollar facility. Bander built building like a thirteen million dollar facility Oklahoma's building an eight million dollars facility and these kids. I mean, I know, collegiate golf, we've been flying private for a while, but it seems like a lot a lot of people are flying private this spring, like this last week at Arizona State, Pepperdine, Oklahoma State fives private all the time.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: What do you think is going on in college golf? Thirty eight million dollars for Alabama for a practice facility. I think it's awesome, but I'm biased.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I went to TCU and we're flying at a DFW and we have no practice facility, probably the only one in college golf.
Speaker 1: So who knows.
Speaker 4: But but I mean I think I think a lot of I mean, obviously there's like booster money things like that, but there's there's value. There's value to doing things like that with the lums. There really is. I mean, every school, every school that I can think of that has a I mean here at Tech, Texas Tech, where I live and love, it has the Rolls Course. It's the number two rant public course in the entire state team. The men's and women's team both have their own locker room. They have whatever, ping pong PlayStation. It's just a place to like hang out and chill, like a day like today when in Blue Infinity and like you'd rather freaking you just feel like you're on the face of Mars walking outside in Lubbock. They drive to the course and hang out and hit in the simulator and just chill. So like, there's just way, there's just a lot of value, I think. And then I think a lot of these kids end up donating money booster wise things like that. And PD, they had a they had a sweep. I don't know if it was new when PD was there or not. They have a good facility where he is. Tom's David Toms, I know, did a lot with it there, but most schools do. Man, that's value, I think.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, the thing, the thing that helps a tone with that is recruiting. Right, So if you if you're going to pull a kid, pc is a perfect example. PCU LSU perfect examples because they're completely different. So if you're going to pick a kid up as the coach at TCU and you go to Dallasport Worth International Airport, it's a big asset to have that airport thirty minutes away for one. But then you pick him up and he asked you, all right, where are we going. We're going to check out, and you, as the coach, say well, we're gonna go see Colonial Country Club. They have a PGA Tour event there. And the kid obviously watched the tour event. He knows colonials, like all right, awesome cool. And then then like you go to another golf course, go to maybe Shady Oaks down the road. This is where Ben Hogan was a member, this is where he played. That's awesome cool. Where's the facility? And you say, we don't have one.
Speaker 2: You've lost him.
Speaker 1: You have just lost him. He's gone. He doesn't care that the PGA Tour event's there. He doesn't care that Ben Hogan's club with Shady Oaks and you could play there too, Like when I was getting recruited in high school. That it's different now. I mean that was fifteen years ago, sixteen years ago, so things have changed. But LSU had a nice facility. They had two bays. They had back when V one remember V one shwing software. They had V one with the cameras everywhere back then, even in two thous thousand and six, two thousand and five. They had a nice facility. They were on the up and up. They were not good, but they were on the up and up. Oklahoma State is the same thing. Obviously, they were great. They straight up told me, straight up told me. He's like, hey, you're not going to play at all, you can come here on books like perfect. I appreciate your honesty. I'm not going to come here. But the recruiting thing is the biggest thing for the facility. Colleen's right when he says these kids need a place to hang out. That's really the value in it, right. They need a place to go where they feel like it's theirs. They have some ownership over it. The flying private like that stuff, that's great. It doesn't really matter a ton recruiting wise, I mean, especially here out a DFW. Yeah, I'm sure the guys from TCU fly private once in a while. But if they had a facility where these kids could come and hang out, play ping pong, do their homework, hit balls, eat, work out, shower and go home. What they do is they go to class, they pick up lunch, they'll go to the facility, hit balls, practice, watch sports center, go back out, putt, do some homework, and then leave. They're there for seven hours, so it doesn't really matter if it's twenty minutes away or forty minutes away. You're gonna be there most of the day, so it's not like you're going back and forth. Facility is everything and the fine private thing. Like we were the same way at LSU. We rode in a Paters van with a ladder on the side of it. For my freshman year we literally did it have a ladder strapped to the side piece of shit ban. But then we got good and coach was like, all right, playing better, we're able to spend more money. Donors started giving more money, and that's a snowball effect. By the time we rolled around our senior year, we flew to Stillwater, Oklahoma on a King Air from Baton Rouge to play the National Championship. So that's how that's the natural progression of that though, right is you have to recruit the best players and then once you get them, they have to perform. But they won't come to you at all unless you have top bunch facilities. That's why Alabama is building thirty.
Speaker 4: Pop pop pop. That's a lot. How was that it's pretty good? I think that that was a pretty good answer. Really, it was only.
Speaker 1: Like ten minutes, so I'd probably keep going.
Speaker 2: So we when I was in college, I graduated in twenty eleven. We we built our own indoor and I and I got up on the roof was throwing shingles down.
Speaker 3: I mean, like our whole team was. So it was quite the situation.
Speaker 2: If you want to say, a for the people facility, you go to you go to Cedar Falls, Iowa, and you pulled the Pheasant Ridge golf course and you look at the facility and that's a for the People Division one facility right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But that's the thing, like I'm sure that they even had a facility. Got you there, you know, like they just had one, and you're like, I'm done here.
Speaker 2: And it actually it's not bad. I mean, Iowa Stayed spent over two million dollars on theirs, and I was spent over two million dollars on they and these are I mean these are northern schools, right, I mean they have I was historically has been pretty pretty good lately, but I would stay, and I mean they're on the customer, you know, they don't really make it to nationals. So I mean they're spending a ton of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it's the vibe too, Like Illinois, like Mike Small, dude, I mean, how what has he done there? I mean, nobody want to go to Illinois to play golf if you're just like doing a temperature gauge or you know, where do you want to go play golf? But when you see what the facility is, what he is, what kind of golfers they turn out like, then it's like boom, Illinois is a hotbed for freaking college golf.
Speaker 2: Crazy Thomas Peters right, I mean Scott Langley, Langley gup three, Mike claim to fame. I did beat Guphrie my senior year at college. I mean, like we played Illinois, Like, dude, those guys were so good. I mean college golf at different levels and just like any sport, but holy shit, I mean those guys were really good, really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a good coach. I mean, Mike Small's a legend, Small as good. But like Luke, Guthrie looks just like Mark Wahlberg. He's Mark Wahlberg. He's the same person.
Speaker 2: I don't think Luke still planning. I know Scott retired, but as Luke still planning, and it was God.
Speaker 3: I played with him one time. God dang, he was freaking good.
Speaker 2: He's really he was a prodigy. He came from Quincy, Illinois, just a prodigy and junior golf too.
Speaker 1: I want to say he won twice on the corn Ferry Tour in like a month in his first year as a pro. Him and Ben Coles did it. Ben Coles did it like the year after him, but Luke Guthrie did it, and maybe twenty twelve or twenty thirteen, Luke Guthrie won twice in a month and almost got the Battlefield PGA Tour, and then Ben Coles did it the next year out of Uva. It was either Ben did it first or looked at it. I don't remember. But anyway, yeah, yeah they do, and it's it's crazy that Illinois turns out players like.
Speaker 4: Nick Cardyn Cardy too, n card Nick Cardy, Yeah, he's freaking yeah.
Speaker 2: Did Thomas Detrick go there too? Well?
Speaker 4: The og is Steve Stricker, but that was before they were even good. I'm sure da points back in the day. But but yeah, god, god dang, bro Yeah, I mean Hardy's there. Yeah, Thomas Peters, I don't know if he was like the full Matt Fitzpatrick situation where he was like there and gone, you know, before he even had a chance to fail his first midterm. But I don't I don't quite know what what went.
Speaker 2: Down, but I'm pretty I'm almost positive Peters was playing when I was there. Thomas Detrie also played there. I mean, Illinois just turns and burns, man, I mean, you want to talk about a program. And Mike Small is a hell of a player and hell of a coach, that dude. We remember one time we were warming up at a tournament typical college golf. College golf is the worst golf to play, by the way you know you play. You play thirty six in one day. It's like thirty five degrees. You have to walk it, if you guys on this. But we were warming out.
Speaker 1: We we did.
Speaker 3: We didn't cut to northern Iowa.
Speaker 1: We don't quite know that one.
Speaker 3: But you can tell us.
Speaker 1: How cold it was.
Speaker 2: Went to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Kaleid went to Corpus Christi, Mexico. Kleena had a good he was he was in Palm Springs.
Speaker 3: That's what we were vas. One time the cold front went through.
Speaker 1: It was bullshit.
Speaker 2: So we're really love it now to make up for it. There you go. We were playing at Illinois States, like late October, middle of dolinoint thirty five degrees and they don't have a range at their course, and we're hitting like fake balls like what the tour wants to do or what the USGA wants to do. They go like twenty yards and and Mike Small came out and came over to his team and he's like embraced the sock and he was so fired up about how shitty it was, and it was just it just like resonated with me, like this dude, that's why they were so good. It is because he just finds a way to connect and really terrible moment character building moments. Put it like that, and I was like, wow, I'll never forget that moment. That was I don't know, thirteen fourteen years ago. But embrace the sock, I mean, embrace the grind. I mean it's going to be a grind to you. Embrace it. So anyway, right, it's a coach man.
Speaker 1: You can't, yeah, I mean you can't. You can't play good if you fight it. But that's the hardest thing about coaching college kids today is you just can't coach them like when we were growing up. You know the kids are you can't talk to them like you used to. Like I was motivated by threats, like literally literal threats like threaten me. I'm motivated, Like you can't threaten me.
Speaker 3: You probably can do you really can't.
Speaker 1: I mean you should see I remember, Yeah, Like I didn't go to we had to do mandatory study hall my freshman year at LSU. We had to do like three hours of mandatory study hall for every freshman. You just had to do it. And I thought I was being smart and handed my ID that you scanned to my roommate. I was like, just scan it, they'll never know that I'm not there. He did it. Like two or three weeks go by and they finally caught me. Didn't say anything. I go to practice one day and the assistant coach is standing there. He's like start running, like what are you talking about? It's like, I know you've been skipping study hall. Okay, what do you want me to run? It's raining outside and I'm in foot Joy Classics. It's probably fifty and my bag's in my back. He's like, set your back down, you're running in your classics in the rain around the practice holes. It was five holes of It's like, what I mean average for it's two thousand, two thousand yards. I don't what's a mile. I don't even remember what a mile is.
Speaker 2: Eighty feet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm running like a mile and a half in the rain and foot joy classics for time, like I couldn't. I couldn't, couldn't just walk it just like that, that stuff. You can't do that anymore, kids, because someone will pull their phone out while you're running like a psychopath through the neighborhood in the in the gulf of course. Like look what the LSU coaches making as players do, Like they're running in four hundred dollars leather shoes in the rain for time. Like it's just it's a different day, and I understand it. Like the kids are just different. It's just different. It's not better or worse. But Mike Small has somehow figured out a way to evolve with all of that and and be a great coach through all. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, oh god, oh God, all right, p D, I got some hibachi. D let's freaking end this. Jared is probably over us, send me, for God's sakes.
Speaker 1: Jared, thanks for coming on Four of the People. I'll appreciate your insight, Thanks for the business knowledge. Definitely the smartest person on Four of the People this week.