Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: JFFI AMI forty live streaming and age D everywhere on the iHeart Radio App.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome home. I'm Dean Sharp, the House Whisper, custom home Builder, custom home Designer, and on the weekends right now live, I am your guide to bender understanding that place where you live today on the show like I like to do recently. No, I've fallen into this habit and I just love it. I just love taking Saturday morning and taking as many calls as we can. And yeah, I've got some things to talk to you about. But today your calls give me a call. Yes we're live. Yes, we are all across the country. We are live today and so you know, if you're here in southern California and you're up at six am, now is the perfect time to give me a call. The number is eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three. The numeral two Ask Dean eight three three two. Ask Dean. It just rolls right off the tongue. Anything you want to talk about regarding your home, anything at all, inside, outside, design, construction, diy you name it. It's kind of our theme this weekend. By the way, the Big Show tomorrow, tomorrow's show, next episode on the podcast, we're gonna be talking about fix it, fix it stuff because it's springtime and people are finally realizing, you know, all right, the weather is great, winter is over. I got to get around and get some of these things done, some of these honeydew lists around the house. So we're gonna be talking about fix it tips tomorrow for the entire show. Plus of course your calls as well. We can talk a little bit about those today too, But mostly I would love to find out what's going on with your home and talk with you, and you know, let's solve some problems. We'll put our heads together. Eight three three to ask Dean. Producer Richie has opened up the phone lines. He's waiting. He'll tell you everything you need to know. Poppy into the queue and then who knows you and I we can put our heads together. We'll figure it out, all right. Let me introduce our awesome team. Sam Is on the board.
Speaker 2: Sam Is Wrestling are not quite live studio audience as always doing a wonderful job. Also, Sam the Sam Out of here, Sam, Well, not pure permanently, but I am Sam.
Speaker 1: Sam. Yeah, sorry to break it to you, Sam, I heart, I heart is a new policy. We're letting people go on the air now, you know, at least we get our flowers on the way out. I guess, no, no, you're you're You're going to Hawaii tomorrow. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kids go on spring break, so I'm taking them. We're going over to Hawaii until Thursday. It's gonna be nice, nice, nice. I will put on a grass skirt for you. Uh all right, I'll take you up on that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Send me a pick, I'll send many. And like I said, producer Richie not next to a mic. He is waiting. He's staring right now. He's look at him. He's just staring at the phone. His eyebrows are going up and down, his eyes darting left and right, waiting for the phone to ring. He's waiting for you eight three three two, ask Dan. He's waiting for you to call. And of course, my buddy, Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk, Good morning, Eileen, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning, my friend. How are you today?
Speaker 1: I am good. How are you doing good?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm trying to stay awake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going this morning? Right now? It's a dcaf green, but I will be going to caffeine very soon. Oh all right, so she's starting with a decaf green, but then she's got deep dive.
Speaker 4: Deep dive in.
Speaker 1: Ah good. Sitting across the table from me, Gosh, look at her. Oh my gosh. Here, I'll turn your mic on.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 1: There you go. There's your spirit animal. Uh. You get that puzzle to start today. By the way, sitting across the table from me, my better half through it clearly, you're like, you didn't have to say that, Dean. What happened? Did your mic just fall off?
Speaker 4: We're good?
Speaker 1: Okay? Uh my design partner, the co owner, co founder of House Whisper, most importantly to me, my best friend in all the world. Uh, Tina is here.
Speaker 4: Welcome home.
Speaker 1: How you do? You're holding your mic down? It just fell off the arm. I'll fix it, all right, we'll get it fixed. We'll get it fixed. I heard your elephant just now, and it reminded me that we've got that puzzle. Yes that Uh you an elephant. It's such a sweet picture. It's an elephant trying to balance herself on a tea cup, right, yeah, teapot service.
Speaker 4: She attempted to.
Speaker 1: There's on tea cups. There are some broken tea cups around her feet.
Speaker 4: But she's done a really good job of an done it.
Speaker 1: She's such a sweetheart that that is such a sweet picture.
Speaker 4: We were a puzzle lab. Yeah, if you've ever heard of them.
Speaker 1: We were in Albuquerque this week on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday on working on a home design for a client, and we were in Old Town. We went to Old Town to kind of just cruise through. All the shops in Old Town are just really cool. Oh, the pottery, the art, I mean, the Native American art there, the tribal art. There's so many stuff. But then we ran into a puzzle store which they had puzzle lab puzzles. And if you know anything about puzzle lab puzzles, well, if you don't, obviously, I'll tell you right now. They are. They're the amazing puzzles and Tina loves Loves loves puzzles, jigsaw puzzles. They're made of wood, they're cut from wood, and they've got these beautiful images. I mean, once you build one, and they're not easy to do as far as execute the puzzle because so many of the pieces are the same shape and yet they're and then scattered in between, there's all these random animal shapes and they're just there are works of art and and a lot of people once they assemble them, they'll mount them to a board and hang them on a frame, like on a wall, because they're just works of art.
Speaker 4: And I say, do yourself a favorite and look them up online.
Speaker 1: Puzzle lab, Yes, puzzle lab dot com. I don't know, I don't know. Just search for puzzle abb.
Speaker 4: The original puzzle lab I believe is in Victoria, Canada.
Speaker 1: Victoria, British Columbia. Yeah, we walked into that store too. And when we walked into this guy's store, we were looking around. We're like, hey, wooden puzzles, just like that place in uh in Victorian. He's like, yeah, they're right over here, puzzle Lab.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: It was good. It was a good trip to Albuquerque. Wonderful clients, just to die for clients, and we had a good time. Albuquerque not not the most exciting city in the world. Okay, it's not like, you know, an international destination for a lot of people. But I got to tell you friendly that was one of the friendliest towns I think we've ever been in as far. I mean, you know when the TSA agent agents at the airport are like, oh my gosh, let me take a look at your ID here. Well, you guys are going back. Why are you leaving here? Why are you leaving and going back to southern California? You're gonna miss the Chilis and just on. And I'm like, when a TSA agent at the airport is one of the nicest people you've met that day, you know you're in a friendly town. All right, I'm going on and on. Listen, I've got some things to talk to you about, but I would rather take your calls. No calls on the board right now. This is your chance. Okay, I'm looking at an empty call board. Now is your chance? Eight three three two, Ask dean eight three to three the numeral two. Ask dean. It's an all call Saturday morning and we'll get to it, can't.
Speaker 6: Guy Keean sharp the house whisper, Hey, whether your home is a condo, cottage or what's another sea word, a castle, condo, cottager, castle, I am here to help you take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: One of our themes here on The program that I have tried to communicate faithfully over the years is very simply this. The rules of architecture apply across the board. The rules of good design apply across the board. The rules of good construction apply across the board. So it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you're living in a tiny little shed or a multi room mansion. The fact is you two can have a great design and great architecture in your home and truly make that house a home. And that's what we're all about here. We are also today all about taking your calls. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask dean eight three to three the numeral to ask dean. Yes, we are live right here on Saturday morning, broadcasting across the nation, and I'm ready for your calls. In fact, let's go to the board I want to talk to We're going to reward our very first caller today. Brenda. Hey, Brenda, welcome home.
Speaker 7: Hey, thank you. Welcome into my home too.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I like it here. Wait, let me look around, m Okay, how can I help you?
Speaker 7: Yes, I have a painter painted a couple of years ago my kitchen, all because I have an old kitchen covers and stuff, and so he painted over the original wood stain with white paint. So now I have some nicks and corners and stuff that need touched up, which I can do myself, but I just need to know. Probably there'll be some standing in some areas. I don't know, but I just need to know how to prep before I paint. And I know that I have to clean like outside of my facia with some kind of a cleaning solution to deal with the grease and handprints and stuff. And I that's what I don't know what to buy for the cleaning to prep it.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha, gotcha? Well there's actually I like to recommend two steps, two steps in the cleaning process pre paint. If you're just cleaning your cabinets, you don't do the second step here. But if we're getting ready for paint, then two steps one and it's very simple. You can use a just a dish soap like Dawn dish soap. I prefer to run down to the hardware store and get some Murphy's Oils soap. Okay, Murphy's Oil soap for wood is just fantastic. It has It's not gonna get your cabinets all slippery or anything like that. It's just a wonderful wood cleaning solution and it'll help get all the you know, that's the first step to get the grease and grime and anything that's left over off. And you don't have to abrasively scrub or anything like that. Just be patient and be gentle with it, and and give them a good bath with Murphy's Oil soap for wood, or even a mild dish washing detergent. Honestly, they work just great. Then then the next step would be one nice you know, once they're nice and clean, one nice wipe down to get any residue off with a mixture of white vinegar and water. One to one mix of white vinegar and water. And what that's gonna do, Brenda, Not only will it finish off the cleaning, it'll take off any residue of soap left behind for whatever reason. But the vinegar vinegar has, you know, is essentially acetic acid. It is a just a very very mild, wonderful acid that that doesn't hurt anything, but it'll help open up the porosity of the surface of the paint that's there, which means that the new paint will just bond to it really really well. Now, if your cabinets are super shiny as far as the paint goes, and you're and you're gonna do a larger area of paint, then I don't really want you to sand unless you're trying to get rid of some bad you know nick, I mean, you know, bad impression. You don't really need to sand them, but you may want to take some steel wool something like that and just buff the sheene down on the surface that you're about to paint again. It's not about sanding it as in the sense of trying to smooth out something that is rough and bumpy. It's a steel wool that comes in in different different oughts. When you go to the store and you're in the paint section, you're looking at steel wool, they'll be a single zero all the way up to four zeros. The four zero is the finest. I like to do a three hought or four hought steel wool, and you're just kind of taking the sheen off so that it goes dull looking and not shiny. Once you're at that place with a clean cabinet, it's ready for another coated paint.
Speaker 7: Wonderful What I wanted to know on that you said, the uh, the spread for fineness is like zero to four mm.
Speaker 1: Hmm, yeah, and you'll live on the bag. Zero zero is more coarse than four. Four is the finest, the more zero, the finer, the steel wool.
Speaker 7: Great, oh great, this is just this is awesome, awesome for me and I just thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Dean.
Speaker 1: It's great and you are very welcome. Thank you for listening to the show. Thanks for being up with me on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, Hello to Tina.
Speaker 1: All right, you have fun with those cabinets, all right, y'all. More of your calls when we return. The number to reach me eight three three two Ask Dean eight three three the numeral to ask Dan. It's an all calls live Saturday morning. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI, A M six forty CAF, I AM six forty Live, Dreaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer with you live here on this lovely Saturday morning. Is it the twelfth? Today is the twelfth of April, is it not? Yes, it is first day of first evening of Passover. Tonight. By the way, for those of you who need to know, there you go. It's going to be a lovely, lovely weekend. As far as I know, we're still in the mid seventies today, right, yeah, today and tomorrow and then we're dropping back into the sixties here in southern California.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: Spring has sprung too many good things to say about it. Tina and I are going to buy some chickens this morning, some chicks, little chicks. It's chick Day with Olivia, our grand Anyway, more on that in a bit, but right now, I want to go back to the phones. It is an all calls Saturday morning with us, and we've got some calls on the board. We still have room for you, by the way, eight three three two, ask Dean, eight three three the numeral two. Ask Dean. Let's talk to Sandy. Hey, Sandy, welcome home.
Speaker 9: Hey, how you doing this morning? Sounds like it's a good day so far? Right if so far?
Speaker 1: Nothing nothing in the way, so far. Just woke up. The crickets were cricks, creaking, creaking, chirping, surfing. It is, you know what early spring mornings in southern California. I think probably everywhere early spring morning. It just feels like like the air just took a like a hot shower and taking a bed like scrubbed itself clean and smells like I mean, it's just wow. The air is so fresh, it's unbelievable. I'm going to spend as much time outside today as possible. Anyway, Sandy, how can I help you?
Speaker 9: Well? Eighteen years ago, when I moved into my condo, I gutted the kitchen, which was a good thing because trust me, it needed it. So it was down to bare walls, and they, they, because I didn't personally do it, did a great job of putting it back together with the way I wanted it. At the time, I did not have a kitchen aid mixer. Subsequently, a few years ago, I saw on some programs where there was this contraption that fits in a cabinet so that when you open the cabinet door, this contraption comes up, either with or without the kitchen aid on it and creates its own stand, but then puts it all away when you close the cabinet door. Again, what do you call the silly thing? I want to be able to buy one and put it in.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a thing of a jig what you call it thing? That's what? No, No, it's it is. Okay, it is a here's what you need to find. You're going to find it instantly. Our favorite version is made by rev A Shelf, r e V Dash a Dass Dash Shelf, Reva Shelf. They are one of the most dependable, reliable, best made cabinet hardware companies for aftermarket products especially, but even for custom stuff. If I was just talking to John Cordero about this last show, this last Sunday show in our kitchen cabinet show Reva shelf, and it is the technical term is it is a mixer or appliance lift. Okay, So if you put in Revas shelf mixer lift, you're gonna you're gonna hit that. There will deal be all over the place. You'll see them everywhere. Okay. Home Depot sells them. You can buy them on Amazon, you know.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: The only trick is understand this that that this goes in a cabinet base cabinet that doesn't have a drawer at the top. Okay, And it doesn't mean that it can't. I don't think I think some of them can fit in a lower if it's a really small drawer. But if you want the shelf to the lift to come up to countertop level and lock in place, then then it's a base cabinet that has a door and no no drawer, and that can be altered too, especially if you have frameless cabinets, you could you could alter a cabinet for that. But yes, the mixer sits on this shelf and you open the cabinet door and you just grab the lever there and up it comes. You never move the mixer, you never have to. It locks in place, and when you're done, you hit the little tab and unlock it and boom, spring loaded. It just slowly and gently finds its way back into the cabinet. You shut the door and walk away, And that is a mixer left.
Speaker 9: Sounds awesome. Do you have any idea how much they would retail for?
Speaker 8: They?
Speaker 1: Uh, okay, I'm thinking they are in the low two hundreds. I think that you can probably find them for you know, two twenty two forty something like that out there.
Speaker 8: Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Speaker 9: It's about time when you know, eighteen years later that I put a new face on my kitchen. And that's one of the things I want to do to it. So thank you very very much and have a great rest of your days.
Speaker 1: Sandy, you two, thanks for calling. I love your energy. Get out there and make a great day out of it. All right, y'all, more of your calls when we return your home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Heyfi, Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Welcome home. Thanks for joining us here on the program. It's a beautiful, beautiful Saturday spring morning here in southern California. I hope wherever you are, the weather is treating you well and you're ready to take on the day because you know what it's today. Today is the day that we've got to take it on. So let's step into it and make the most of it. We're making the most of it this morning because it's an all calls morning. The number to reach me eight three three two Ask Dean eight three three the numeral to ask Dean. We're doing this more and more on Saturday mornings. It's just it seems like just a really good fit, a great way to start the weekend. I know it is for me having conversations with you about your home and helping you through. So let's go back to the phones. I want to talk to Andrea. Is it Andrea or Andrea?
Speaker 8: It's Andrea, Andrea, good morning, Good morning. I envy that you can have chickens. I would love to have chickens again, Alas it's not allowed where I live.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Yeah they are, they're the best. And we've got some old girls here, literally, some old girls, some freeloaders, really curran laying eggs anymore. They're just eat my food. But yeah, I think we're gonna pick up is it? How many were going forward?
Speaker 8: Tina?
Speaker 1: Nine? She's like, I want nine new chicks, and we have. We've built our henhouse so that we can divide up the two groups and we can let the little ones grow up safely without being pecked by the older girls until they get until they get old enough to stand up for themselves. So it's going to be fun.
Speaker 8: That sounds like fun. That's I hope you name them all?
Speaker 1: Oh, we do. We do. We give all of our chickens old lady names all old lady. I don't know why, but it just seems appropriate. So Tina's got a whole list. We'll be ready to go. How can I help you By the way, thanks for talking to me about my chickens. It's always potential love chicckens.
Speaker 8: I'm always so jealous when I hear because I used to have chickens a long time ago. Anyway, I live in a tract of connected homes that were built in nineteen sixty four on top of a hill, a tall hill, overlooking the ocean, and I'm not right on the ocean, but it's a mile away and it's a beautiful view. But unfortunately, the way people used to set things up, there's two bathrooms that are connected and they're right in the middle of the view. So the room on one side of the bathroom has a gorgeous view, and my bedroom on the other side of the master bathroom has a gorgeous view. But these bathrooms are blocking a gorgeous view, and a lot of people over the years have taken It's an atrium that was originally built around these two bathrooms, so you had like a little garden to look at. But I want to see the view, but I don't want to put a wall up and a window. I have a bathtub which I spent a lot of time in and I'd like to be able to look at the ocean. And so I've over the years I've been here for almost thirty years, has thought about solutions and it needs to be some sort of a sense. I would guess that would have louvers, like vertical lovers made out of metal. And I noticed that a lot of restaurants have these roofs that look like that, and I've looked it up and they're enormously expensive. And you know, I can't afford to spend twenty thousand dollars on a twenty foot of cents. So I've thought of other solutions, like maybe two you know, a metal fence fixed that has a flat, you know, an opening space, and then put another fence next to it, and if you move it over two inches, the one will cover the empty flat of the other. Get what I mean? Yeah, Yeah, Like you could have them pass each other, only one would be fixed.
Speaker 1: Ye Are you trying to go for privacy and view at the same time or security and view at the same time?
Speaker 8: Privacy, privacy and view. So and I also live in a very fire high fire danger, so I can't really use wood and it is time to take the old wooden fence that's around there now down because of all the fire issues that we've got, So it would preferably be some sort of metal or something that doesn't burn. I don't know what else that would be, right, So I've also thought about putting a screen or we get wind and you know what.
Speaker 1: Do you think, well, you know, not being there to kind of I'm trying to visualize it so that you can capture the angle of the view but still have privacy from other angles. Is that is that kind of the gist of it, And that's why you're thinking of the slats, the angled slats, right, But it.
Speaker 8: Would have to be something that can either be tilted to close because as on the other side of this fence is part of my yard and so there's times when there might be people walking out there, you know, or a gardener walking by, that kind of thing, So I have to be able to close it off.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, yeah, And I thought too about like putting up a metal fence that would have that has a gap, you know, gap so that you.
Speaker 8: Generally see the view, and then maybe have some sort of roller shade that would come down. I don't just can't imagine how pretty that would be from the inside of the bathroom though, because you know, that just doesn't sound very appealing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, it's difficult for me to imagine exactly what all of your options are. But I like because most people, well most people are not you know, and you know this, that's why you've been trying to scratching your head at this for thirty years. Most people, you know, a fence is either a privacy fence or it's not one or the other. Uh, it's either a it's either security or it's not, and to get both from time to time. You know which way to go, and you don't want to do it out of wood. So I don't know how to Okay, I don't know how to save you the cost of that, other than to tell you that there are there are woods that you can treat with fire retardant, fire resistant paints that that would lower the cost of the fence itself and not worry you so much about fire damage or you know, or or fire encouragement at least. But I like the idea of a you know, basically building a section of fence for you that works very much like a shutter, you know, like a like a plant can shutter or blind So that you will have the freedom to kind of spin open the slats and close them, and you could literally build it like a shutter that is on its side, that they're attached on a pivot top and bottom, and have all the slats connected with a central board that you can just grab and close off or open up and get your view. I was going to say initially, if it was just about view, then you put something transparent up like a cable rail, so that you get security but you can see right through it. But you're also looking for privacy too, and that's the trick. The idea of the sliding slats where you can block it off and then open up, that's a good idea too. I think I would just want a lot more view out of it if I was going to all that trouble, so I think I would be conceptualizing in my head something that is essentially like a show on its on its side.
Speaker 8: Mm hmmm. I did see that there were some mechanisms available that where you could make your own, not that I would do it, but I wasn't so sure the quality might be up to snuff as opposed to these you know, industrial type ones you see in an outdoor restaurant or.
Speaker 4: You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there there is hardware out there that can produce that, and that you could use wood for uh to attach you just it's just going to have to be a creative solution. And that's that's the trick. You're looking for a really creative solution for that and instead of pre buying it all in metal. Yeah, it's a tricky It is a tricky one, Andrea, it really is a tricky one. But I am confident that it can be done. It's a matter of talking to the right fence people and really expressing, hey, this is what I'm after, or the right handy person or the right contractor, and say what can we come up with? But I can I can imagine some of the hardware and the materials in my mind to create that for you. But I really think that a shutter kind of system may be the thing that you're going for there. And and you know, building a shutter on a large fence panel scale, it's it's it's not the hardest thing in the world. You could use very simple hinges on the side and a support system, a spin system. So that's my best suggestion for you. My friend without standing there staring at it and sketching you a design for it, and I'm going to encourage you keep pursuing it. I think I think you're onto the right idea. That's what I'm saying, that shutter kind of system. Find the right person with the right hardware to get it done. But I think keep searching for that. Okay, I'm going to take a look during the break here too see if I can find anything. But I do have to go. I'm at the top of the hour and they're yelling at me. I Andrea, thank you for your call. I'm going to pursue this now. It's just scratching at the back of my head. You're Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer on KFI. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty