Speaker 1: Preparation is making sure that everything you would do is aligned with the strategic goals, the strategic priorities that are relevant to this person.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Audible Ready Podcast, the show that helps you and your teams sell more faster. We'll feature sales leaders sharing their best insights on how to create a sales engine that helps you fuel repeatable revenue growth. Presented by the team at Force Management, a leader in B to B sales effectiveness. Let's get started.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to the Audible Ready Sales Podcast. I'm Rachel klepp Miller and joining me for our episode today is our own Timkato. Hi, Tim, Hello Rachel.
Speaker 1: What a fun topic we have today.
Speaker 3: Yes, today we are going to dive into the value based conversation. We talk a lot about making sure you're getting higher in organizations, elevating those sales conversations. You know you need to do it, but what is the motion that you need to remain focused on that in every conversation. So Tim's going to help us dive into that today. I think first, Tim, let's just level set with how I know if I'm too low in a company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, let's start off with a premise you are. Everybody experiences this and once again, rachild, this is not a new concept, right. We've been talking about this as long as I know. I've been around in selling, and that goes back to the seventies, and I'm sure it was there before. But we've learned some things over the years, and then some other things have changed in terms of expectations. So one of the things I want to start to level set is let's reframe this. For years, when we talked about calling higher or elevating your call, it was almost like an exercise and org chart exercise. I'm at this level. I want to get to this level. I got to get to this level, and sales managers and people would be chasing that holy grail of calling on that senior executive. But what we figured out is there's a lot of risk in that. We see it as there's risk in not getting there, and everybody understands that one. But you know what, there is risk in getting there if you're unprepared. A lot of data has been written. You could get there and fail and guess what, you're never getting back. So it's not just call on someone, it's make sure that when we talk elevating your selling you're calling. I believe it's not as much about an org chart, Rachel, as it is about influence. Am I interacting with the people that influence the company's strategic priorities executing their goals? And if I am, then what we've learned over the years is how do I position myself my company as relevant to their business issues. We've learned a lot over the years, Rachel, not only what works, but what does not. And I think what everybody understands is what does not is for me to give that senior level executive and overview my stuff, my product, that's irrelevant. But we haven't figured out why right. And then we say, well, we've got to be more focused on business issues. Well what are the business issues? And they say, well, we can lower your costs and we think that's the message, right, But what we forget to do is figure out from their view, so why does that matter. I'm trying to grow my business. I'm trying to grow in new markets. I just did three acquisitions, so I appreciate the fact you're lowering my cost but that's not my issue right now. And Ding, Ding, guess what you're not relevant to? Me. So at some point we get around one of the lower cost maybe I'll remember this, but right now, thank you very much, really appreciate it. I got a team over there that you got to go spend some time with to lower the cost. My focus is elsewhere. So let's level set on this, Rachel. It's not about calling on a level that's got a title. It's about calling on influence of the strategies and priorities of the business. That's where we want to go with the discussion.
Speaker 3: Right, And you want to make sure that when you're having those conversations, relevancy is at the forefront. You know, everybody listening sells a lot of different things. They're having different value conversations, but there are some main things that when you're elevating your sales conversations to those layers of influence that those people are going to care about.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You threw out some They're like, I just merged with a company, I have these priorities.
Speaker 4: There's probably some big buckets that you're going to want to look for to ensure that you're consistently elevating those conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and it's not hard to find them if you take the time, because here's my thing, you know, when you we talked about it's getting access to those with influence, even that is not the goal to me. The endgame is return access. I'm doing this to make sure that I can continue to position our value, show what we can do help influence their ideas of what they're influencing. Right, So we're trying to do that. But it's return access and we'll get into that in a little bit more. But what's going to cause me to get return access, initial access and then return access to those that are influencing or dictating the strategic direction of their organization, Well, I better be relevant to whatever that strategic direction is aimed at. Are they finally at the point of their digital transformation journey that's been going on for twelve years already where they're now looking at AI and saying, is this the thing that we've been missing along? I'm trying to figure out how I justify on my board that we spend all this money on this thing and I can't show a whole lot of results other than we've spent a lot of money on tools and systems and security and now maybe this can offer something different. Well, I better have some value relative to that. So when you talk about how do you find it? I think practically it's do our due diligence before we go into the call. We're singing you do is going to that call and not be relevant to this person's priorities. So I might be able to find it just by doing research on the organization. I might understand it because we deal with other organizations that are similar, that are dealing with similar things, so we can interpret this organization has issues. But I think it's always best if we could find something specific. Do we have partners that understand what the priorities of those executives are? And then Rachel, our old friend, the champion, can they give us some insights, not just about the company. I want to know about this person. What was she brought in to do, what is her focus? What is she making moves to do? That's what I want to understand. And then once I understand that, the next thing I could do to prepare to be relevant and compelling is to have a point of view tied to that problem. See. One of the things I think we make a mistake in Rachel that we've learned over the years. We try and get access to the power the influencers, so that we could show them the value of our solutions. Let them know we're experts in our solution. What have we learned. They don't care about that. They expect it that we're going to talk about it. They've experienced a lot of bad selling, but that's not what they care about. They care about are you an expert in my problem? So just the mental pivot of I'm not here to be an expert in my solution our industry. I'm here because we deal with the organizations that have your exact issue, and as a result, we have a point of view about that. It's not just this, it's this other thing. Now where do I get that point of view? Well, hopefully from your product team, your marketing team, the founder, the innovators, whatever it was. But have a unique perspective that causes that customer to think, this is about my issue, but we hadn't thought about it that way, and that's actually rather interesting and compelling. Let's take your point of view and apply it to my situation. Now, what you're doing is you're being relevant to them, and what makes you really compelling is if they get some insights about their business they didn't have before as a result of dealing with you on these podcasts, Rachel, you and I have talked many times about the metaphor of going to a specialist physician. Right. I don't expect them to go there and tell me what the other people told me. I expect to get some expertise. And so when they start asking me questions, do an exam point things out, do tests. I'm learning some things about me and I am leaning in big time, right. And it's the same thing when we get to those folks that have power influence over the strategies. Do we position ourselves as experts on solving that problem? Do we have a compelling point of view that causes them to think a little bit different? And then can we start to engage with them on how does that point of view play out in their world? And what insights are we trying to help them understand. And that's what that's what we're really looking for, their perspective on the point of view on the problem that's relevant to their world. Now, they're learning something, and if they learn something and it plays out, guess what's going to happen? They're going to ask you back in Yeah, that's where the return access.
Speaker 3: Comes, and it's continually having that point of view throughout the sales process to make sure that you once you're up there, you stay up.
Speaker 4: There, right absolutely.
Speaker 3: And then you had mentioned at the top the preparation for those higher level conversations versus maybe the ones you're having when you first get into an organization. Talk a little bit more about what that preparation should look like and how it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, first of all, I've already given a few clues. It's about their problem, not your solution. It's about having that point of view that you can articulate. But there's some other things there, Rachel. One of the first times I even remember learning about champions or someone that could sell on your behalf is I had one many years ago. I was calling a Ford Motor company for my company and I was twenty eight years old, and I had this person that was great, definitely a champion, no question about it, But at the time I was frustrated with him because I was getting hammered by my management. Even back then, right early eighties. You're not calling high you ought to be calling on this person that person, and I'm like, yeah, I'm asking my guy, hey, can you give me an introduction there? And you know what, he told me, Rachel, You're not ready yet. You're not ready yet. And I'm like, was because I'm twenty eight you know? No, no, no, you don't know the protocol, you don't know how to position when we do. And it took two years and finally, you know, he said, I'm going to bring into this meeting and you and I are going to prep for that. I said, does that mean I'm ready? He said, well, mostly, but I want to make sure that you're ready. So a lot of preparation in the flow of the meeting, who was going to be there, how we were going to tee it up if I'm there with somebody else, almost orchestrating the roles to make sure that we're laying out the premise of why we're there and in that role that champion way back then told me, this person gets called on all the time by sales organizations. He takes about ten percent of those meetings. He has an expectation of what will occur in the first five minutes, he's got an expectation of what will occur in the next fifteen minutes, and he's got an expectation of where this is going to end. So you and I are going to orchestrate this accordingly. And he knew people from my company were going to be coming in because it was forward right, and he said, it's your job, Tim to make sure they all play their roles. So preparation is knowing what the big issue is in aligning everything you do towards it, but even orchestrating the introduction, the how you're going to set it up, how you're going to share that point of view, the discovery that's going to go on afterwards. And there's one last piece, Rachel. We don't always know this one, but we've come to learn it's really important. Where is that influencer in their organization. Where is that senior level person in the life cycle of dealing with this problem, because we know so their focus is on different things. Is it early in the life cycle they know they've got a problem, or they've got an issue, or it's become a priority, and that senior level influencer is spending all their time framing what are the outcomes we want? What is this thing intended to do? Maybe all the way down to defining budgets and a team to work on it, very highly engaged up front. If we can talk to them in that time period with our point of view, what influence we can create on how that initiative goes? The problem is, Rachel, more often than not that part of their process of dealing the life cycle of the problem, we don't know about it. It's going on. When do we typically find out about it? The project team that was given all that direction and perspective, they're now working on it. But here's the thing, guess where the senior executive is now. They're onto something else. They've already given their guidance to the team. They assume the team is running with it. So it's almost like this trough. It's like an inverted you. They're really highly engaged upfront, they kind of go away in the middle, but then they re engage at the end, Rachel, And why do they re engage? Then they want to check not only to make sure the team came back with a solution that they were looking for, but more importantly, they want to know did they come back with a solution that's still relevant to today's priorities. I know what I told you six months ago, and it looks like, you did a great job finding that, but that's not our big issue now, it's something else. So why do I say this is part of preparation? Are they early? If so, I got to double down on my point of view to help influence the way they see that problem. Are they in the middle right? What they're doing is at best checking in to make sure the direction is right. We can't be in there trying to position our point of view when they think the project's already going. There's a different rhythm for that meeting, and that is to share insights on progress, to talk about maybe something that's missing, something new that has emerged that we didn't know about six months ago. And then at the end, this is the piece. A lot of times, Rachel, people miss they think, wow, I got my project. I'm working with the project team, we were selected, were in contracts, this thing's done. Perfect time to double check with the influencer, economic buyer, senior executive to make sure is this thing that was a priority a few months ago still a priority relative to today's issues. Now. We almost always can see that, Rachel, but they don't always see it, and their team doesn't always see it. We've all unfortunately been part of that call. Hey, what you did was great, but we've had a few other things come up and the deal slips. It's preparation. Where are they at in their cycle, and let's prepare accordingly. It's not a one size fit. It's all for a senior executive conversation. So you kind of have to know what's going on with them, where are they at in their cycle, what's our point of view, what's the discovery we drive accordingly? I know I covered a lot there, but yeah, it's really because that's where we've messed.
Speaker 3: Up, right, right, And you know, you can make a lot of missteps when you're trying to elevate your sales conversation. You know, you mentioned one at the top, going too early, and I would think summarizing what you just said and then not preparing for the right type of conversation given where we are in the life cycle of everything. Are there other mistakes that you've seen sellers make when they're trying to elevate those kinds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know again one of them. Yeah, I guess it all kind of falls under not being prepared but seeing it as a checkbox in their qualification thing. Right, I just want to get there once and not having a purpose for the call that's meaningful to that executive. I mean, it doesn't take them very long to know that who am I dealing with here? In fact, ask yourself this, what's the conversation they're going to have with my champion after this call is over? Are they going to say, Wow, that was a great person to bring in here. Their company really knows what's going on, but they could really help us here. Or is the conversation the other end of the spectrum. Why did you waste my time with that? Don't ever bring someone like that in front of me again? What are we supposed to do with all that? And I think that's a lot of time the outcome unfortunately, when we're all about just have the executive meeting and that takes all kinds of forms. Great chel Back when I started so on the thing, we always said, well, my president, my CEO is going to be in town. They'd really like to stop by and see you. You know, I don't have time for that. What's the reason, what's going on? What's your expertise? It's always great I can have somebody do that positioning because remember this, Rachel, here's The other thing we know, when do most of us try and gain access to them when they're in that trough of engagement, they're not engaged anymore. All the research on calling on senior executives said the same thing. The only way you're going to get access to them only way like it works ninety five percent of the time, whereas everything else is a hit rate of about five to seven percent. Don't send them a book, don't get them tickets to the big game, don't take them to the no no, no, no. Someone they trust recommends that they meet with you. Whether that's you know, now we're back to the power of champion our networking. Someone they trust says, this is an issue you're dealing with, and you got to meet with these people over here. They're the best in the world at this ninety plus percent of the time, I think the last research was ninety five percent. That executive will take that meeting and then and we've got to align what we do accordingly, not just getting a check. You know, like we called on them so I could get by my opportunity coaching deal review session. Did you get with the executive? They say, yes, that's not what I want to know, what did you learn from that meeting? What did they learn? What's your next meeting with them? What are the top two or three things we need to focus on with them? That's what I want to know. Unfortunately, Rachel, those meetings go bad. So when you want to know, what's the mistake, it's it's kind of a version of not preparing, but not preparing correctly and probably being misguided in what the purpose of that meeting is or the endgame. The endgame is to influence the influencers thinking and help them see we're highly relevant and compelling. Relevant meaning we are seen as experts in the problem they have, relevant to what's going on with them right now, and compelling. We got point of view or a way of looking at it that's different than where they might have been thinking about it or that they've heard conventional thinking, and it's intriguing to them.
Speaker 3: That's the outcome that gives us a lot of things to think about.
Speaker 4: I love that concept of the you right.
Speaker 3: And if you were to give people listening a one takeaway, is it preparation? Is it the tailoring of the message to that point in time?
Speaker 1: What would your words way? I think, well, it's preparation and execution, right. But I think preparation is making sure that everything you would do is aligned with the strategic goals, the strategic priorities that are relevant to this person. That's our value proposition. We're experts in this. That's the whole be relevant side, be compelling. Have a point of view or perspective on that. It's not here's what my platform will do to be able to help you with that. It's here's what we've learned about that problem and the three or four challenges organizations have, and the three or four things you got to put in place to avoid that. I'm not talking about my platform. I'm talking about your world and your issue, and so it's be ready to give that. Very few selling organizations have a point of view on the problem. Like I said, they'll go in and say, hey, we can lower your risk, we can lower your costs, we can help you drive revenue. They don't finish the conversation. The conversation is, we can lower your risk because of the breaches you've had over the last five years. We can drive more revenue because you lack the ability to access data in a timely way to be able to make good decisions to pivot in the marketplace. So it's tying it back to the things that are strategically relevant. It's not just showed the business value. It showed the business value tied to their strategies and priorities one hundred percent. You know, one of the things we talk about, Rachel is what do they have in common level. You say, okay, they care about revenue, cost and risk. Yes, right, but that can put you on a slippery slope to assume, like a persona based selling approach. They've got this title, therefore they must care about these things. That's not guaranteed, especially in today. You know, you might be way off and you never get access again. What they care about one hundred percent of the time their growth strategies and priorities. So I would say it's better to not make a call unless you got some confirmation on those things first. That's preparation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: Lots to think through today, Tim. We tackle this topic frequently, but there's always a lot of angles around it.
Speaker 4: So I appreciate you going through those with me today.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, we always want to give to people something to think.
Speaker 4: About, and there's plenty there's plenty.
Speaker 3: Thank you Tim, thank you Rachel, and thank you to all of you for listening to the Audible Ready Sales podcasts.
Speaker 5: At Force Management, we're focused on transforming sales organizations into elite teams. Our proven methodologies deliver programs that build company alignment and fuel repeatable revenue growth. Give your teams the ability to execute the growth strategy at the point of sale. Our strength is our experience. The proof is in our results. Let's get started. Visit us at forcemanagement dot com.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Audible Ready podcast. To not miss an episode, subscribe to the show in your favorite podcast player. Until next time.