Speaker 1: The disclaimer to the fair season. Karen's out there, Oh dare you? All guests on the show do not reflect the opinions.
Speaker 2: Of the host.
Speaker 1: The purpose of the show is to have interesting conversations, stretch.
Speaker 2: Our minds, and grow not what we want.
Speaker 1: If you are looking for an echo chamber viewer and listener discretion, he's ablished. Did you talk about extreme crime?
Speaker 3: We will guilty from the sun. They don't fear the questions, they fear the fu So we see see through slow they come pros. Thanks, but the dark on this shows what a real.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, what has happened and what is may hold up that glass baby, because you know what time it is, y'all. We about to fill it up a Welcome to the Prometheus Lens Podcast, the place where the conversations are always in lighting. I am your host, Doc Brown. Here we'd like to use the allegory of the Prometheus Lens to take a second look at everything. Hey guys, if you are new to this channel, welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the Hero's Journey. Please be sure and hit that light and smash that subscribe button. Why I got you attention, guys. Check out this banner down below with all of the social medias at their various platforms, and that would be much much appreciated. Well, man, I'm having some days y'all. Boot I feel like I've just seen y'all, like maybe an hour ago if you missed that, I had just a little short, like forty forty five minute little show doing a rundown of bro Grove. I'm fresh off the plane from Florida, hanging out with Stephen from the Biblical hit Men and Ben from the End of the World News Ben at Tanton Broadcasting Seeds JT. Paul's JC demon Rations. I could go on for days. Man, it was a shmortgish board of our favorite content creators. Man had an awesome time. So if you happen to check that out, hey, go over there and check that out. That was a little rundown. I'll give you some behind the scenes stuff. But now we are here for the feature presentation, Same BAT time, same BAT channel on Sundays at eight pm Eastern Standard time. We are going through Lewis Ginsburg and his legends of the Jews. So once again, if you're new here, try to start off the show and let you know, hey, you know this is this is not Cannon. I'm not saying thus said the Lord. Here, this is mythology, this is legends of the Semitic peoples. So it's real good cultural deep dive kind of contextual thing. Puts you in the mindset of the ancient peoples and what they were thinking. So they were reading this stuff. They believed this stuff, whether it's true or not, so it had to influence their thoughts and their writing. So and it's just fun. It's fun. A lot of the stuff that we hear some crazy stuff in here, you know, it's like what Then we hear some stuff that it's like whoa, Now that makes sense because over here in Genesis that you know, it was kind of vague. So it's just a fun study. But I think you guys for joining me, if you have, we are trucking right along. We're on episode thirty one now, guys, we've been at this for a while now. And Sully, which I think I threw it up into countdown, but I put it back up here. You are very welcome. Thanks for keeping Legends of the Jews tonight. Yeah. I was really, honestly, without an excuse. My flight was very very early, so I was back home well, I mean I was back in Tennessee around ten ten thirty this morning. By the time I got home from Ashville and all that stuff, I had plenty of time. So I was without an excuse, guys. And I also kind of felt guilty. Are me and Andrews Prometheus report kind of took a back seat for the past two weeks because of bro Grove and preparation for that, and so I felt I owed you guys this. Well. I hope everybody's doing great. Man, I see something in the chat here. Of course we got Pam Sully shout out, Garrett man a welcome brother, Felix. I love you guys in Virginia. My girl Virginia made it. She's always a commenting, Hey I'm late or I missed alive. So it's good to have Virginia in here. But we will get started.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I know you guys aren't here to hear me just ramble. You here to hear the reading. So we'll dive into the reading.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Let me get everything switched over. Just be patient. Sixty seconds maybe sixty seconds, all right, share a screen there we go. So many windows, guys, It's like I have three monitors and two cameras, and that's like I have to drag everything over. It's a mess. And each screen has like four or five little things in it that I got to keep up with. Thank you, Virginia, I love you too, girl. Where's it at? I'm trying to find it there? It is? All right, we're set up, guys. Let's go. If you guys are ready, put you see eat bets on. All right, let's go. Last time we left off. Oh hay, I man, I'm all out of whack here. Oh, wrong way in this way? There we go. That's a little better, ain't it. Actually? I'm going to just that if I can, if you'll let me. Uh, Like I said, guys, so many windows, so it's bad when your equipment is smarter than you are. There we go. Let's not zoom in so much. There, that's better. Okay, So last time we left off, uh, and now we are at the wives of the sons of Jacob. Okay. Judah was the first of the sons of Jacob to enter wedlock. It'll here while the sale of Joseph to the Midianites, his brethren had said to Judah, if conditions were as before, our father would provide wives for us. Now as it is, he is entirely absorbed by his grief for Joseph, and we must look about for wives ourselves. Thou art chief, and thou shouldst marry. First Judah's marriage with a lit the daughter of the noble merchant Shua, which was consummated at Adalamma, the residence of his friend Harah, or as he was called later Harum, king of Tire. Oh, now we get some freemason stuff there, Hiram Habif, sorry, Hire, I'm King of Tire and was not happy. His two eldest sons died, and shortly thereafter his wife. Also. It was Juda's punishment for having began a good deed and left it unfinished. For he who begins a good deed and does not execute it to the end brings down misfortune upon his own head. I was just a Southern saying where I'm from, it's just hey, boy, don't start something you can't finish, or don't bite off more than you can chew. Judah had rescued Joseph from death, but it was his suggestion to sell him into slavery. Had he urged him to restore the lad to his father, His brethren would have obeyed his words. He was lacking in a consistency to persist until he had completed the work of Joseph's deliverance, which he had began in the same the year of Joseph's misfortune. All his other brethren married to Reuben's wife was named Iloram, the daughter of the Canaanite Uzi of Timnah. Simon married his sister Dana first, and then a second wife. When Simon and Levi massacred the men of Shechem, Dinah refused to leave the city and follow her brethren, saying whether shall I carry my shame? But Simon swore he would marry her, as he did later, and when she died in Egypt, he took her body to the Holy Land and buried it there. Dinah bore her brother a son, and from her union with Shechem, the son of Haymoor, sprang a daughter, Asnath by name afterward the wife of Joseph. When his daughter was born to Dinah, her brethren, the sons of Jacob, wanted to kill her that the finger of men might not point at the fruit of the sin in their father's house. But Jacob took a piece of Tin inscribed the holy name upon it and bounded about the neck of the girl, and he put her under a thorn bush and abandoned her there. An angel carried the babe down to Egypt. And that's kind of like a reoccurring theme, isn't it, where Popeter I always get this wrong. Potiphar Potiphar adopted her as a child, for his wife was barren. Years thereafter, when Joseph traveled through the land as visceroy, the maidens threw gifts at him to make him turn his eyes in their direction and give them the opportunity of gazing upon his beauty. Asinath possessed nothing that would do as a present. Therefore, she took off the amulet suspended from her neck and gave it to him. Thus Joseph became acquainted with her lineage, and he married her, seeing that she was not an Egyptian, but one connected with the house of Jacob through his mother. Beside, the son of Dana, Simon had another son whose name was Saul. By Buona, the damsel he had taken captive in the campaign against Shechem Levi and Ishkar married two daughters of Joe Bab the grandson of Eber. The wife of the former was named Adana. The wife of the latter are dah Dan's wife was l Flat, a daughter of the Moabite Hama Dun. Sorry, guys, I'm a redneck. I could hardly speak English and these words are pretty hard. These are twenty dollars words right here. For a long time the marriage remained childless. Finally they had a son, whom they called Heshim. Gad and nef Tali married women from Haran, two sisters, daughters of Amram, the grandson of Nahor. Nephtali's wife, Mirmit was the older of the two, and the younger. The wife of Gad was named Uzit. Asher's first wife was Adon, the daughter of elf Law, the grandson of Ishmael. She died childless and he married a second wife, Hadra, a daughter of Ablel, the grandson of Shim. She had been married before, her first husband, having been Mikschel, also the grandson of Sim. And the issue of the first marriage was a daughter, Sarah by name. When Asher brought his wife to Canaan, the three year old orphan Sarah came with them. She was raised in the house of Jacob, and she walked in the ways of pious children, and God gave her beauty, wisdom and sagacity, sagacity s A g A c.
Speaker 3: I T y.
Speaker 2: I mightna have to look that one up. That one's got me curious. We'll do a word search real quick. Nope, I don't want to see how many times it was used. Back up study. Maybe that's it. There we go. Okay, wisdom says wisdom, wisdom literature. Wisdom is the capacity of the mind, and the Old Testament involves both knowledge and the ability to direct the mind toward full understanding of human life and towards the moral fulfillment. Okay, so it's just a fancy word for uh wisdom. So he gave her wisdom. H Zebuln's wife was Marshaw, the daughter of Molad, the grandson of the Median, the son of Abraham by Ketra. For Benjamin, when he was but ten years old, Jacob took Mahala to a wife, the daughter of Aram, the grandson of Tara, and she bore him five sons. At the age of eighteen, he married a second wife, Arbat, the daughter of Zimran, a son of Abraham by Keturah, and by her also he had five sons. Okay, that's the end of that section. I'll check in with you, guys. See what's happening in chat? Uh? Where am I at? Okay, I'm at the pleasantries. Everybody's saying, hey, hey, what's up Wade? Glad you can make it, bro, Let's see glad to have caught the live. Hello everyone, Welcome, Elena, welcome? Oh, another one finally caught alive. Mister why not? Hey? Why not join us every Sunday at eight pm Easter Center Time, Brother Pink welcome, Welcome. Oh. I see Elena making some laugh faces? Is that my comment about the twenty dollars words I struggling with? All Right, okay, we just got some banter. I'll just check it in with you guys. I'll continue reading here. Let me wet my whistle real quick. Oh and if you haven't done so already, I'm gonna shamelessly do it. Don't be a jackass. If I got your attention more than sixty seconds, man, I deserve a thumbs up that don't cost you nothing but helps me tremendously. Folks, loviness. My haters not came in yet. I don't have my thumb down. Yet maybe he didn't get notified. Okay, this one is Joseph, the slave of Potiphar. Hey I got it right. That time. When Joseph was sold as a slave to the Ishmaelites, he kept silent out of respect for his brethren and did not tell his masters that he was the son of Jacob, a great and powerful man. Even when he came to the Midianites with the Ishmaelites and the former asked after his parentage, he still said he was a slave only in order not to put his brethren to shame. He's a better man than me. I snitched on him. They've done me that way. But the most distinguished of the Midianites rebuked Joseph, saying, thou art no slave. Thy appearance betrayeth thee and he threatened him with death unless he acknowled the truth. Joseph, however, was steadfast he would not act treacherously toward his brethren. Arrived in Egypt, the honors of Joseph could come to no agreement regarding him. Each desire to have so an exclusive possession of him. They therefore decided to leave him with the shopkeeper until they should come back to Egypt. Again with their merchandise. And God, let Joseph find grace in the sight of the shopkeeper. All that he had, his whole house he put into Joseph's hand, And therefore the Lord blessed him with much silver and gold, and Joseph remained with him for three months and for five days. At that time there came from Memphis the wife of Potiphar, and she cast her eyes upon Joseph, of whose calmliness of person she had heard from the eunuchs. She told her husband how that a certain shopkeeper had grown rich through a young Hebrew. And she added, but it is said that the youth was stolen away out of the land of Canaan. Go therefore and sit in judgment upon his owner, and take the youth into thy house, that the God of the Hebrews may bless thee for the grace of Heaven rests upon this youth. Potiphar summoned the shopkeeper, and when he appeared before him, he spoke harshly to him, saying, what is this? I hear that thou stealest souls from the land of Canaan, and dost carry on traffic with them human trafficker. The shopkeeper protested his innocence, and he could not be made to recede from his assertions. That a company of Ishmaelites had left josephin charged temporarily until they should return. Potifar had them strip naked and beaten. God Ee, strip naked and beaten. I wasn't ready boy. That escalated quickly, so then Potiphar summoned Joseph. The youth prostrated himself before the chief of the eunuchs, for he was third in rank of the officers of Pharaoh. And he addressed Joseph and said, art thou a slave or a freeborn man? And Joseph replied a slave. Potiphar continued to question him whose slave art thou? And Joseph replies, I belonged to the Ishmaelites. And Potiphar, how whist thou made a slave? Joseph, they bought me in the land of Canaan. But Potiphar refused to give credence to what he said, and he had also he had him also stripped and beaten. The wife of Potiphar, standing by the door, saw how Joseph was abused, and she sent word to her husband. Thy verdict is unjust, for thou punished the freeborn youth that was stolen away from his place, as though he the one that had committed a crime. And Joseph held firmly to what he had said, Potiphar ordered him to prison until his master should return. In her sinful longing for him, his wife wanted to have Joseph in her own house, and she remonstrated with her husband in these words, Wherefore, wherefore dost thou keep the captive, nobly born, a slave a prisoner. Thou shouldst rather set him at liberty and have him serve thee And he answered, the law of the Egyptians does not permit us to take what belongs to another before all titles are made clear. So even slaves had titles like cars. And Joseph stayed in prison for twenty four days until the return of the ishmaelites to Egypt. Meanwhile, they had heard somewhere that Joseph was the son of Jacob, and they therefore said to him, why didst thou pretend that thou wast a slave? See we have information that thou art the son of a powerful man in Canaan, and thy father mourns for thee in sack cloth. Joseph was on the point of divulging his secret, but he kept a check upon himself for the sake of his brethren, and he repeated that he was a slave. Nonetheless, the Ishmaelites decided to sell him that he be not found in their hands, for they feared the revenge of Jacob, who they knew was in high favor with the Lord and with men. The shopkeeper begged the Ishmaelites to rescue him from the legal prosecution of Potiphar. So, yeah, he's just kind of caught in the middle. It's hey man, you watch my bag. It's like you go to the airport, It's like, hey man, you care to watch my bag for me? And you kind of take off and leave them stuck with it, you know, and then you are the one that gets taken to jail. He's kind of caught in the middle. There the legal prosecution of Potiphar and cleared him of the suspicion of the man theft. The Ishmaelites, in turn, had a conference with Joseph and bade him testify before Potiphar that he had bought him for the money. He did so, and then the chief of the eunuchs, liberated him from prison and dismissed all parties. Concerned with the permission of her husband, Potiphar's wife sent a eunuch to the Ishmaelites, bidding him to buy Joseph, but he returned and reported that they demanded an exorbitant piece for the slave. She just passed a second unit, charging him to conclude the bargain, and though they had asked one mina of gold or even two, he was not to be sparing of money. He was to be sure to buy the slave and bring him to her. The unit gave the Ishmaelites eighty pieces of gold for Joseph, telling his mistress, however, that he had paid out one hundred pieces. Joseph noted to the deception, but he kept silent and the eunuch might not be put to shame. Thus Joseph became a slave of the idolatrous priest Potiphar, or PoTA Pharah, as he is sometimes called. He had secured possession of the handsome youth for elewd purpose, but the angel Gabriel mutilated him in such a manner that he could not accomplish it. His master soon had occasion to notice that Joseph was a piet was as pious as he was beautiful, for whenever he was occupied with his ministrations, he would whisper a prayer. O, Lord of the world, thou art my trust, Thou art my protection. Let me find grace and favor in thy sight, and in the sight of all that see me, and in the sight of my master Potiphar. When Potiphar noticed the movement of his lips, he said to Joseph, dost thou purpose to cast a spell upon me? Nay, replied the youth, beseeching God to let me find favor in thine eyes. His prayer was heard. Potiphar convinced himself that God was with Joseph. Sometimes he would make a test of Joseph Joseph's miraculous powers. If he brought him a glass of hypcris he would say, I would rather have wine mixed with the absence, and straightway the spiced wine was changed into bitter wine. And that's kind of telling too. I've said on some shows that they seen two Messiah figures. You know, they believed in the Messiah of the They call him Yosiah ben Joseph. You know, Joseph. And then the second one was supposed to be, in their eyes anyway, a liberator from a government, but no, he was liberating them from you know, the hands of Satan and death, so that they got that wrong. But here and you can kind of tell, you know, this is a later writing because they are casting Joseph in like the same role as Jesus. As Jesus you know, first miracle, he turned water into wine. So here you have their you know, their first messiah, ben Joseph doing the same things as Jesus, kind of trying to pick him up, you know, in the put him back in the same category. I guess you could say, let me see, whenever he desired, he could be sure to get from Joseph. And he saw clearly that God fulfilled the wishes of his slave. Therefore he put all the keys of his house into his hand, and he knew, not aught that that was with him, keeping back nothing from Joseph, but his wife, seeing that the chikhana rested upon him, Potiphar treated Joseph not as a slave, but as a member of his family. For he said, this youth is not cut out for the slave's work. He is worthy of the prince's palace. Accordingly, he provided instruction for him in the arts, and ordered him to have better fare than the other slaves. Joseph thanked God for his new and happy state. He prayed, blessed art thou, o Lord, that thou hast caused me to forget my father's house. What made his present fortune so agreeable was that he was removed from the envy and jealousy of his brethren. And he said, when I was in my father's house and he gave me something pretty, the coat of many colors, priestly garments, my brethren begrudged me with present. And now, O Lord, I thank THEE that I live amid plenty, free from anxieties. He turned his attention to the external appearance. He painted his eyes, dressed his hair, and aimed to be elegant in his walk. But God spake to him, saying, thy father is morning in sackcloth and ashes, while thou dost eat, drink, and dress thy hair. Therefore I will stir up thy mistress against THEE, and thou shalt be embarrassed. Thus Joseph's secret wish was fulfilled that he might be permitted to prove his piety under temptation, as the piety of his father's had been tested. Okay, that's the end of that section. I'll check back in with you guys in the chat. Wade been studying the Joe Bab thing, and there's some credence to Job being Jethrow ho Bab, Moses's father in law. The kennit. We will see what Ginsburg says, which I've heard. I can't remember who, but somebody was saying that Job was like in the black blood line of Esau of Edam, I think if I remember correctly. So I had told me that a while back. Yep, that's the right way. You got to be reading other people's stuff and get other people's opinions. Man, you've got to get different perspectives and gather those puzzle pieces. Bro, I commend you. Okay, I'll continue on. We're flying right along. Okay, this is uh Joseph and Zoega. That is untype right, bless me throw the stick up in the air. It will always return to its original place. Like Rachel, his mother, Joseph was of ravishing beauty and the why of his master was filled with invincible passion for him. Her feeling was heightened by the astrologic forecast that she was destined to have descendants through Joseph. This was true, but not in the sense in which she understood the prophecy. Joseph married her daughter Asnath later on, and she bore him children, thus fulfilling what had been read in the stars. So the magi, you know, the same ones that went after Jesus when they seen the stars in the having Let's see, Pink, I just happen to see your message there. I'm sitting here listening, and I can't join your channel because I can't do monetary things on this tabit. Thus I'd love to be a member of Blessings. Oh well, this stuff is just all free here. I mean, I do have, you know, a paying subscription through super Cast, and you get forty eight hour early access and subonus content and stuff like that, ad free listing experience on Apple and Spotify. But avan it's not always about the money, just you being here, comment and liking, sharing, dropping some comments in the comment section. Man, that's better than money. It puts me in front of new listeners. But I'll continue here. In the beginning, she did not confess her love to Joseph. She tried first to seduce him by artifice on the pretext of visiting him. She would go to him at night, and as she had no sons, she would pretend a desire to adopt him. Okay, so she's trying to play the mommy role here. Joseph then prayed to God in her behalf, and she bore a son. However, she continued to embrace him as though he were her own child, yet he did not notice her evil designs. Finally, when he recognized her wanton trickery, he mourned many days and endeavored to turn her away from her sinful passion by the word of God. Speaking of that situation in Doc Brown, that kind of puts you in mind of Marty McFly when he goes back in time and meets his bom and his mom's trying to have sex with him. He's like no. She on her side, often threatened him with death and surrendered him to castigations in order to make him amenable to her will. And when these means had no effect upon Joseph, she sought to seduce him with enticements. She would say, I promise thee thou shalt rule over me and all that I have, if that would but give thyself up to me, and thou shalt be to me the same as my lawful husband. But Joseph was mindful of the words of his father, and he went into his chamber and fasted, and prayed to God that he would deliver him from the toils of the Egyptian woman. In spite of the mortifications he practiced, and though he gave the poor and sick, the food pointed to him, his master thought he lived a luxurious life. For those that fast for the glory of God are made beautiful of countenance. The wife of Potiphar would frequently speak to her husband in praise of Joseph's chastity, in order that he might conceive no suspicion of the state of her feelings. And again he would encourage Joseph, secretly telling him not to fear her husband, that he was convinced of his purity of life. And though one should carry tales to him about Joseph and herself, Potiphar would lend them no credence. And when he saw that all of this was ineffectual, she approached him with the request that he teach her the word of God, saying, if it be thy wish that I forsake idle worship, then fulfill my desire, and I will persuade that Egyptian husband of mine to abjure the idols, and we shall walk in the law of God. So it's like, okay, don't be orre's that. Don't be like Felicia, where's that? There goes? She said, don't be standing. You give me some of that loving and we'll repent and start worshiping your God. You know, he's gonna gonna have to show me a little love, you know, trying to bargain with some uh, some sweet relations as they said on what was that the nutty professor? Oh, I remember, and I used to have sweet relations, Joseph replied. The Lord desires not that those who fear him shall walk in impurity, nor hath he pleasure in the adulterer. Another time she came to him and said, if that will not do my desire, I will murder the Egyptian and wed with thee according to the law whereat Joseph rent his garment, and he said, O, woman, fear the Lord, and do not execute this evil deed, that thou mayst not bring destruction down upon thyself, for I will proclaim thy impious purposes to all in public. Again, she sent him a dish prepared with magic spells, by means of which she hoped to get him into her power. But when the eunuch said it before him, he saw the image of a man handling him or handing him a sword together with the dish, and warned of the vision, he took good care not to taste of the food. A few days later, his mistress came to him and asked him why he had not eaten of what she had sent him. Approached her, saying, how couldst thou tell me? I do not come nigh unto the idols, but only unto the Lord. The God of my fathers, hath revealed thy iniquity to me through an angel. But thou mayst know that the malice of the wicked has no power of those who fear God impurity. I shall eat thy food before thine eyes, and the God of my father's and the Angel of Abraham will see will be with me. The wife of Potiphar fell upon her face at the feet of Joseph, and amidst tears, she promised not to commit this sin again, but her unholy passion for Joseph did not depart from her, and her distress over her unfulfilled wish made her look so ill that her husband said to her, why is thou countenance fallen? And she replied, I have a pain in my heart, and the groanings of my spirit oppressed me. Once she was a along with Joseph, she rushed toward him, crying, I will throttle myself, or I will jump into a well or a pit, if thou wilt not yield thyself to me. Noticing her extreme agitation, Joseph endeavored to calm her with these words, remember, if thou makest away with thyself thy husband's concubine, as still thy rival will maltreat thy children and exturbate thy memory from earth. These words, gently spoken, had the opposite effect from which he intended. They only inflamed her passion the more by feeding her hopes. She said, there seest thou thou dost love me now, crazy, crazy girl, it suffices for me that thou takest thought for me and for the safety of my children. Sweet I expect now that my desire will be fulfilled. It's like a a I shoot dumb and dumber. He's like, what's the chances of a girl like me getting with a guy like you? And she's like slim. He's like, well, how slim. She's like, I like want in a million. He's like, so, you're telling me there's a chance she did not know that Joseph spoke as he did for the sake of God and not for her sake. His mistress, or as she is called Zuluka, pursued him day after day with her amoracious talk, for her flattery, saying, how fair is thy appearance, how calmly thy form? Never have I seen so well favored a slave as thou, Joseph would reply, God, who formed me in my mother's womb, hath created all men? Yeah, sly, she's a whacko. Yeah, man, that's the chick they were talking about on that outcast song back in the day. You remember that crazy witch. Okay, Zeluca. How beautiful are thine eyes which thou hast charmed all Egyptians, both men and women, Joseph, beautiful as they may be while I am alive, so ghastly they will be to look upon in the grave, Seluca, How lovely and pleasant are thy words. I pray THEE take thy harp play, and also sing that I may hear thy words, Joseph. Lovely and pleasant are my words when I proclaim the praises of my god, Zeluca, How beautiful is thy hair? Take my golden comb and comb it, Joseph, How long will thou continue to speak thus to me? Leave off? It were better for THEE to care for thy household, Seluca. There is nothing in my house that I care for, save THEE alone. But Joseph's virtue was unshaken while she spoke. Thus he did not so much as raise his eyes to look at his mistress. He remained equally steadfast when she lavished gifts upon him, for she provided him with garments of one kind for the morning, and another for noon, and a third kind for the evening. Nor could treats move him. She would say, I will bring false accusations against THEE before thy master, and Joseph would reply, the Lord executeth judgment for the oppressed, or I will deprive THEE of food, whereupon Joseph would say, the Lord giveth food to the hungry, or I will have THEE thrown into prison, whereupon Joseph would reply, ooseth the prisoners, or I will put heavy labor upon thee, and I will bend. I will bend thee double. Whereupon Joseph the Lord raises up them that are bowed down, or I will bind thine eyes. Whereupon Joseph replies, the Lord openeth the eyes of the blind. When she began to exercise her blandishments upon him, he rejected them with words, I fear my master. But Zukalah would say, I will kill him. Joseph replied with indignation, not enough that thou wast making adulter of me. Thou woult have me be a murderer. Besides, and he spoke furthermore, saying, I fear the Lord, my god. Zuklah, nonsense. He is not here to see thee. Joseph great is the Lord, and highly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. Thereupon, she took Joseph into her chamber, where an idol hung above the bed. This she covered that it might not be a witness of what she was about to do. And Joseph said, though thou coverest up the eyes of the idol, remember the eyes of the Lord run to and fro and the whole earth. Yes, Joseph continued, I have many reasons not to do this thing for the sake of God. Adam was banished from Paradise on the account of violating a light command. How much more should I have to fear the punishment of God were I to commit so grave a sin as adultery. The Lord is in the habit of choosing a favorite member of our family as a sacrifice unto himself. Perhaps he desired to make choice of me. But if I do as thy will, I make myself unfit to be a sacrificing to God. Also, the Lord is in the habit of appearing suddenly in visions of the night and into those that love him. Thus did he appear into Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And I fear that he may appear unto me at the very moment while I am defiling myself with thee. And as I fear God, so I fear my father, who withdrew the birthright from his firstborn son, Ruben, on the account of an immoral act. And that's what I talk about in the Epic of Esau. You know, sleeping with your father's wife or concubine is active rebellion, trying to take over the household. That's what Ham did to Noah. That's what's his name. King David's son did the same thing as soon as he run out to his father. It starts with an a abslom. First thing he did, he pitched a ten on his father's house and went into all of his concubines in the side of all of Israel. And Reuben also slept with his father's concubines. So this is like a reoccurring trend or theme that you see. So withdrew the birthright from his firstborn son, Ruben, on the account of an immoral act, and gave it to me. Were I to fulfill my desire, I would share the fate of my brother Ruben. With such words, Joseph endeavored to cure the wife of his master of the wanton passion she had conceived for him, while he took heed to keep far from his henous sin, not from fear of punishment that would follow, nor out of consideration for the opinion of men, but because he desired to sanctify the name of God, Blessed be he before the whole world. It was this feeling of his that Zukolah could not comprehend, And when finally carried away by passion, she told him in unmistakable language what she desired, and he recoiled from her. She said to Joseph, why dost thou refuse to fulfill my wish? Am I not a married woman? None will find out that thou what thou hast done. Joseph replied, if the unmarried woman of the Heathen are prohibited unto us, how much more they are married women as the Lord liveth I will not commit the crime thou biddest me to do. In this, Joseph followed the example of many pious men who utter an oath at the moment when they are in danger of succumbing to temptation, and seek thus to gather moral courage to control their evil instincts. When Zuluka could not prevail upon him to persuade him, her desire threw her into a grievous sickness, and all the women of Egypt came to visit her, and they said unto her, why art thou so languid and wasted? Thou lackest nothing? Is not thy husband a prince great and esteemed in the sight of the king. Is it possible that thou canst want aught of what thy heart desireth Sukula answered them, saying, this day shall it be made known unto you whence cometh the state therein you see met. She commanded her maid servants to prepare food for all the women. It's kind of like a job moment, ain't it. You know? Job's down and out, having all these issues. And the men kind of came and give him counsel, and she spread a banquet before them. In her house, she placed knives upon the table to peel the oranges, and then ordered Joseph to appear, arrayed in costly garments and wait upon her guests. When Joseph came in, the women could not take their eyes off of him, and they all cut their hands with knives, and the oranges in their hands were covered in blood. But they, not knowing what they were doing, continued to look upon the beauty of Joseph without turning their eyes away from him. Then Zukala said, unto them, what have you done? Behold? I set oranges before you to eat, and you have cut your hands. All the women looked at their hands and lo they were full of blood, and it flowed down and stained their garments. They said to Zukla, this slave in thy house did enchant us, and we could not turn our eyes away from him on the account of his beauty. She then said, this happened. This happened to you that looked upon him but a moment, and you could not refrain yourselves. However, then can I control myself in whose house he abideth continually? Who see him go in and out day after day? How then should I not waste away or keep my languishing on the account of him? And the women spake, saying, it is true, who can look upon this beauty in this house and refrain her feelings? But he is thy slave? Why dost thou not disclose to him that which is in thy heart? Rather than suffer the life to perish through this thing? Zeluca answered them. Daily do I endeavor to persuade him? Yes, she's consistent, but he will not consent to my wishes. I promised him everything that is fair. Yet have I met with no return from him, no love, And therefore I am sick. As you may see, her sickness increased upon her, her husband and her household suspected not the cause of her decline, but all the women that were her friends knew that it was on the account of the love that she bore for Joseph, and they advised her all the time to try to entice the youth. On a certain day, while Joseph was doing his master's work in the house, Zukalah came and fell suddenly upon him. But Joseph was stronger than she, and he pressed her down to the ground. Zukilah wept, and in a voice of supplication, and in bitterness of soul, she said to Joseph, hast thou ever known seen or heard of a woman my peer and beauty, let alone a woman with beauty exceeding mine. Yet I tried daily to persuade THEE. I fall into decline through love of THEE. I confer all this honor upon THEE, And thou wilt not hearken unto my voice. Is it by reason of fear of thy Master that he punished THEE? As the King liveth No harm shall come upon THEE from the Master on the account of this thing. Now, therefore I pray THEE listen to me and consent unto my desire for the sake of the honor that I have conferred upon THEE, and take this death away from me, for why should I die on the account of THEE. Joseph remained a steadfast under the importunities as before. Zukula, however, was not discouraged. She continued her solicitations unremittingly, day after day, month after month, for a whole year, but always without the least success. For Joseph, in his chastity, did not permit himself to even look upon her. Therefore, she resorted to constraint. She had an iron shackle placed upon his chin, and he was compelled to keep his head up and look at her in the face. Yeah, men want a girl that's crazy about him, but not just crazy that that's a little mutch, you know what I'm saying. It's kind of like that movie How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days? How that chick was acting around. Shoot, Matthew McConaughey, that's his name. Let's see how long this next section is. That one was kind of long. Okay, it ain't that bad. I finished this one. We'll see what craziness this woman tries. Next. Joseph resists temptation. Seeing that she could not attain her object by intrustees or tears, Zukla finally used force when she judged that the favorable chance had come. She did not have She did not have long to wait. When the Nile overflowed its banks, and according to the annual custom of the Egyptians, all repaired to the river, men and women, people and princes a company by music. Excuse me, Zukla remained at home under pretense of being sick. This was her long looked for opportunity, she thought. She rose up and ascended to the Hall of State, and arrayed herself in princely garments. She placed precious stones upon her head, onyx stones set in silver and gold. She beautified her face and her body with all sorts of things for purifying of women. She perfumed the hall and the whole house with cassia and frankincense, spread mirror and aloes all over, and afterwards set herself down at the entrance to the hall in the vestiable leading to the house, though which Joseph had to pass to his work and behold, Joseph came from the field, and he was on point of entering the house to do his master's work. But when he reached the place where Zukila sat and saw all that she had done, he turned back. His mistress, perceiving it, called out to him, what aileth thee Joseph, to go to thy work. I will make room for thee, that thou mayst pass by to thy seat. Joseph did as she bade, and he entered the house, took his seat, and set about his master's work as usual. When Zukala stood before him suddenly, in all of her beauty of person and magnificence of remnant, and repeated the desires of her heart. It was the first and last time that Joseph steadfast Steadfastness deserted him, but only for an instant. When she was on the point of complying with the wish of his mistress, the image of his mother Rachel appeared before him, and that of his aunt Leah, and the image of his father Jacob. Okay, I'm going to insert this, and you're you're gonna appreciate this. I want to tell you a personal story that that reminded me of my first wife. We were like high school sweethearts, you know, we dated. You know, majority of high school, got married right out of high school, was together for you know, ten eleven years before we separated. But when I was dating her in high school, it was like the first date that I was allowed to take her on that her father allowed me to and was taking her to the movies and he wouldn't let her come out. And he was down in the basement with his friends and they had the garage door open. He's like, come on down here, boy, and call me down. Of course, you know, they had guns laid out, like like they're cleaning guns, you know what I mean, doing the whole dad thing. But he was kind of a lewde man, and he was, you know, drinking some beer with these buddies and never cleaning on them guns and stuff, trying to you know, intimidate me, I guess. But he's like, oh, man, I remember when I was young. He said cruise in town. He said pretty girl in the back seat, you know, and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was just sitting there like, no, I ain't doing this, and then he says, uh and this is kind of leude, but I have to say it. But he's like, uh, oh, I remember being in the back seat with a girl. Cruise in town. He said, hands full of t and a, you know, And I was just sitting there like, no, dude, I ain't falling for this. And then he's like, but when you take my daughter out, he said, and you find yourself in that situation, he said, you just think of this face. And I was always a playful, smart elec. So I just looked at him and I was like, that'd be kind of weird, sir, And hell, his buddy started laughing. They thought it was hilarious. But I just thought of that when he was like, you know, he was about to give in the temptation, but he saw his mother. Made you think of Darren. That's what he said. He say, if you funny self in that situation, boy, you think of this phase. And I was like, that'd be kind of weird. Bro. Sorry, I had to the last addressed him. Thus, in time to come, the names of thy brethren will be graving upon thy breastplate of the high Priest. Dost thou desire to have thy name appear with theirs? Or wilt thou forfeit this honor through sinful conduct? For now he keepeth company with harlots and wasteth his sustenance. This vision of the dead, and especially the image of his father, brought Joseph to his senses, and his illicit passion departed from him. Astonished at the swift change in his countenance, Zukala said, my friend and true love, why art thou so affrightened? And thou art near to swooning? Joseph, I see my father, and Zukla, where is he? Why there is none in this house? And Joseph says, thou belongest to a people that is likened to the ass it perceiveth nothing, But I belong to those who can see things. Joseph fled forth away from the house of his mistress, the same house in which aforetime wanders had been done for Sarah kept a captive there by Pharaoh. But hardly was he outside when the sinful passion again overwhelmed him, and he returned to Zukalis's chamber. Then the Lord appeared unto him, holding the ebon shint Ya. Let's look that up. I have no idea what that is. Study it's thinking about it. Come on, I want the synopsis.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: The ebon Shintya of foundation stone held supreme significance in Jewish tradition as most important rock in the Jerusalem Temple. Okay, so that's a fancy word for cornerstone. Okay. Holding the cornerstone in his hand, and said to him, if thou touchest her, I will cast away, or I will cast away this stone upon which the earth is founded, and the world will fall to ruin. Sobered again, Joseph started to escape from his mistress, but Zukilah caught him by his garment, and she said, as the king liveth if thou wilt not fulfill my wish, thou must die. And while she spoke thus, she drew a sword with her free hand from under her dress, and pressing it against Joseph's throat, she said, do as I bid thee, or thou diest. Joseph ran out, leaving a piece of his garment in the hands of Zukulah as she wrensed himself loose from the grasp of the woman with a quick energetic motion. Zukala's passion for Joseph was so violent that, in lieu of his owner, whom she could not succeed in subduing to her will, she kissed and caressed the fragrant I'm sorry, the fragment of cloth left in her hand. Oh my God. At the same time, she was not slow to perceive the danger into which she had put herself, for she feared Joseph might possibly betray her conduct, and she considered ways and means of observating the consequences of her folly. So now she's worried that he's going to go to the Potiphar and be like, hey, man, you're going to have to satisfy your woman. She's kind of left wanting here she and I can't help her. Bro Meanwhile, her friends returned from the Nile fast, and they came to visit her and inquire after her health. They found her looking wretchedly ill on account of the excitement she had passed through and the anxiety that she was in. She confessed to the women what had happened with Joseph, and they advised her to accuse him of immorality before her husband, and then he would be thrown into prison. But Zukla did not depend entirely upon the assistance of her friends. She planned a ruse besides, to be sure of convincing her husband of Joseph's guilt. She laid aside her rich robes of state, put on her ordinary clothes, and took to her sick bed in which she had been lying when the people left to go to the festival. Also, she took Joseph's torn garment and laid it out next to her. Then she sent a little boy to summon some of the men of her house, and to them she told the tale of Joseph's alleged out outrage, saying, see the Hebrew slave whom your master hath brought into my house, and who attempted to do violence to me this day. You had scarcely gone away to the festival when he entered the house, and making sure that no one was here, he tried to force me to yield to his lustful desire. But I grasped his clothes and tore them and cried with a loud voice. When he heard that, I lifted up my voice and cried. He was seized with fear, and fled and got and got him out, But he left his garment by me. The men of her house spake not a word, but in a rage against Joseph. They went into their master and reported to him what had come to pass in the meantime, the husbands of Zukala's friends had also spoken to Potiphar at the instigation of their wives and complained of his slave that he molested them. Mister why not, So what's the scholar's opinion? Yeah, well, that's my thing is like I trusted a lot of scholars, and then when I looked into it myself, I was like, hell the hell did they not see this? But no, I said at the start of every show, this is not canon, this is legends, this is mythology. So it's a cultural thing. We're reading this to see what they thought, what they believed, the stories they were sharing, and it kind of you puts you in the mindset of the people of the time. You know, I'm not saying any of this is thus said the Lord here, but this is you know, cultural study, you know, trying to get a better understanding of the peoples of the time. Which that's something Mike Kaiser really really pushed. He's like, you know, you guys need to be reading these extra biblical books. You need to be reading their legends and stuff, because you've got to step into their shoes if you're going to understand this ancient book. Because we're looking at with modern eyes, thinking we're so smart. He said, we're not catching anything. They're trying to lay down because we don't know their culture. So that's what we're trying to do here. Potiphar hastened home, and he found his wife in low spirits, and though the cause of her dejection was charging at not having succeeded in winning Joseph's love, she pretended that it was anger at the immortal conduct of the slave. She accused him of the following words, Old husband, mayst thou not live a day longer if thou dost not punish the wicked slave that hath desired to defile thy bed. That hath not kept in mind who he has when he came to our house to demean himself with modesty, Nor hath he been mindful of the favors that he has received by thy bounty. He did lay a privy design to abuse thy wife at this time of observing the fast, when thou wouldst be absent These words she spoke at the moment of conjugal intimacy with Potiphar o pillow talk, when she was certain of exerting an influence upon her husband, Potiphar gave credence to her words, and he had Joseph flogged unmercifully. While the cruel blows fell upon him, he cried to God, O, Lord, thou knowest that I am innocent of these things? And why should I die today on the account of a false accusation by the hands of these uncircumcised, unpious men. God opened the mouth of zukal as child, a babe of but eleven months, and she spoke to the men that were beating Joseph, saying, what is your quarrel with this man? Why do you inflict such evil upon him? Lies? My mother does speak and deceit is what her mouth uttereth. This is the true tale of that which did happen. And the child proceeded to tell all that had passed how Zukula had tried first to persuade Joseph to act wickedly, and then had tried to force him to do her will. The people listened in great amazement. I bet they did. But the report finished, the child spoke no word, as before. Abashed by the speech of his own infant son, Potiphar commanded his bailiffs to leave off from chastising Joseph, and the matter was brought into court, where priests sat as judges. Joseph protested his innocence and related all that had happened according to the truth, but Potiphar's repeated the account his wife had given him. The judges ordered that the garment of Joseph to be brought, which Zukila had in her possession, and they examined the terror therein. It turned out to be the front part of the mantle, and they came to the conclusion that Zukala I had tried to hold him fast and had been foiled in her attempt by Joseph, against whom she was now lodging a trumped up charge. Trumped up charge that shows that's a later writing. I'm sure they wasn't using that terminology. Then they decided that Joseph had not incurred the death penalty, but they condemned him to incarceration because he was the cause of a stain upon Zukla's fair name. He was the stain. Potterphard himself was convinced of Joseph's innocence, and when he cast him into prison, he said to him, I know that thou art not guilty of this vile crime. But I must put the endurance least a taint cling to my children. Okay, Like, yeah, I know she's crazy and I know she's lying, but I can't admit that because then everybody's going to know my family's crazy. I can't have that. So that's the end of this one. Guys. We'll pick up next time Joseph in prison. So we'll pick up where he's thrown into prison, and we'll see what happens next week. I'll move all this stuff over here. I'll check him to you guys in the chat though, before we sign off and see what's happening. Woman has hutspah. What is hutspah? Wait, this is a new term. Can't be thrown around these twenty dollars words on my chat? Not explaining him to Sullly. She wants to take him to the train station. Yeah, I mean, she's trying hard. But the thing is, it's all about some music. You know. She just got to play the right song, you know what I mean. It's all about the mood music man, Pam. The same drama at work. What you got supervisors trying to seduce the help over there, Stax Farmstead. He said, tain't lol, uh no, Wade, it's a Jewish term for confidence. All right, guys, man, that's it. We're going to bring this plane down to a landing. I hope you guys enjoy the readings. They're fun, and like I said, you know some of them. Some of you guys have been here for all the episodes, so you know some of the stuff gets pretty crazy. But I do agree with the gentleman in the chat was like, this is like a soap opera.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's like this one was kind of out there. But like I said in the beginning of the show, where I try to say at the beginning of every show, you know, I'm not saying all this stuff is true. I'm not saying thus said the Lord here. And just like what I read, one of those modern terms that was used that shows you it's a later writing. But Ginsburg went, you know, I think it was in the early nineteen hundreds and went to the Jewish people and got all their legends and lore and kind of compiled them all into a six book series. So some of them are old and some of them I think are I mean, I wouldn't say maybe one hundred percent factual. But there's a lot of truth nuggets in there, I believe, because they fit too perfectly in the Bible, not too you know what I mean, And they don't contradict scripture. That's something I always say. I try to use scripture as the anchor points. I mean, that's the measuring stick. So when I read this stuff, you know, I'd just like to read it for cultural context, to see what they were talking about, what their stories were. But a lot of times, you know, you'll find stuff that, Man, it fits perfectly in scripture and answers ambiguous questions and it doesn't contradict the rest of the story. So to me, like, man, those are keepers. But man, I love you guys. Man, I hope you enjoyed that. Man, we're here every single Sunday, eight pm Eastern Standard times. You want to come on back, man, I'd love to have you back. Mondays, which is tomorrow. That is when I do my life premieres and I do my recordings and we have a live chat there, so come check us out there. We do those at six pm Eastern Standard time because I had a lot of friends that were doing their shows at eight on Mondays, so I bump my time back a little bit. That way, you guys can see all the great shows that's going on around right now. But uh, I got brad Leel from the Awakened podcast and we're talking about word magic, the power of words. You know, the scripture says life and death lining the power of tongue. So you got to choose your words wisely, like man I love y'all, man Hey torches high. Guys. Just remember the difference between the known and the unknown that gives the journey. Good journey, my friends.
Speaker 3: So we steal the fire, still frozen by around they cont