Speaker 1: There are those right now that are questioning whether you're gonna with stand the big Man.
Speaker 2: Well, sure about those people, man, I don't care about those people that aren't start craving the hulk of maniacs. I could care less what they think. I'm fighting for life, brother, I'm fighting for all those people that have remolded their lives. Man, I'm not after haul Camania. Get their priority to an order. Man.
Speaker 3: Walk around with a lot of pride.
Speaker 2: As far as those people that are on Andre the Giant's side, I wish he'd come on down to and I to sap them around, just for a warm up. But I've already gone through my transformation. Man, I'm ready for Pontiac, Michigan.
Speaker 3: I'm not the hawk anymore. I'm the hawk.
Speaker 2: Come man, looking to my eyes. Man, I'm on that mountaintop and I'm waiting for you Andre. Now, I'm guarding that mountain in the halls to the garden. You've got thirty two neck, I's sixty four as jet is the largest armed in the world.
Speaker 1: And I'm here to.
Speaker 2: Speak in destroy, Speak in destroy the cancer a bandering at the time, speak and destroy the weevil the empire and what you gonna do Andre and Pontiac Michigan un Hawk Commania destroys you.
Speaker 4: And now for your hosts, Michael Gross and Sean Bush. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of Russell Magic. That's a night. I've got my good friend Sean bush Back who's just come into the studio, and we're talking about really the impact of the death of hul Cogan. And I know that's like very hard to say what was the impact of the death. We have to also look at the impact of the life. We're not here to do a whole retrospective on everything he's done in his career, but we are going to talk about highlights, and unfortunately, we're gonna talk about low lights. And I really want to actually start off by saying that, you know, I love our producer Jimmy Street for everything he does. And I also want to say that I love my co host Sean Bush because Sean is amazing and he has a great wrestling mind. And so it's great to actually have this banter and go back and forth and talk about what we felt was impactful and not really so impactful and what really outright buried companies. So today I want to welcome everybody to Sean Bush.
Speaker 3: Sean, Hello, I love you too.
Speaker 4: It's great to have you on this show.
Speaker 3: Thank you very very nice words.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, ever since Rocky took a sabbatical, you've been like a good co host to me, And I think that because we know each other so well, that we can actually do everything in the studio and kind of get out what we feel about things. So I would like to ask you your first impressions growing up about hul Cogan.
Speaker 3: What art there? Good lord?
Speaker 1: H Well, before I even really knew what wrestling was as an art forum, I mean, was there. He's just been in the cultural zeitgeist for my entire life.
Speaker 3: I was born, Uh what was it.
Speaker 1: I was born on twenty fourth, so it's of March in eighty seven, so it's like a week before. It was the tuesday before WrestleMania three. So that was literally the first biggest like cultural event in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: You know, I was, you know, four and five days old whatever it was at that point.
Speaker 1: Obviously I don't remember that, but I mean going back to I mean movies, you know, I remember even seeing them in one of three Ninja's movies.
Speaker 3: At some Pointy which he had hair. He had hair in that movie. Can you believe it spray on? Yeh.
Speaker 1: But WrestleMania three, I mean, I it's one of those things in life where you know, you've got great movies that you love, or you know, records that you love, and sort of you can never really go back and listen to or watch those films again for the first time like you did. And WrestleMania three against Andre is kind.
Speaker 3: Of like that. As far as a.
Speaker 1: Wrestling fan, I grew up to be a bit more into the sort of technical style of wrestling myself, but from the early days, I mean, watching that match, I can still kind of remember, maybe not where I was, but the feeling I felt, the epicness, the bigness of the moment watching that match, you know, fifteen years later or whatever it was, you know, or you know, probably more like ten years later or something like that, when I could find it years ago when I was a kid, but it was surreal.
Speaker 3: It was just one of those matches. It's one of the biggest.
Speaker 1: And probably most important matches in the history of pro wrestling, and likewise, Hulk Cogan and Andre of course, but you know, we're talking about the Hulkster today, and I don't think anybody can really deny his you know, legacy, his impact.
Speaker 4: I absolutely agree with you on that because, like I'm not a Hogan fan. When I grew up, I'm obviously a little bit older than you. And I watched the NWA on Saturday night, so I saw Rick Flair, so I saw wrestling versus sports entertainment, and it was very interesting to see the two pit each other against each other. It was so much fun, but it was crazy at the time also to see Hogan going against these larger than life opponents and let's list them off, Andre the Walking Condominium, King Kong, Bundy, the Walking Egg. Yeah basically yeah, that was his nickname. Though how did Bundy ever get pinned?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think his shoulders could ever touched the mask.
Speaker 4: You His whole gimmick was he had to pin somebody for five seconds instead of three. I loved it, something that I wish they should do with Bronze and Reed today. But anyway, I digress, because this is about Hogan, so big John stud it was everybody who was ginormous. And then I remember.
Speaker 1: I actually I hate Button, but somebody the other day. You know, this is a couple of days after Hogan passed away. I had listened already to a few different you know, reactions, but somebody made a point that I hadn't thought about before. You just named these guys and other guys that they thought that were giants.
Speaker 3: That were huge.
Speaker 1: It was also huge six seven, three hundred you know whatever, it was forty pounds or something, three thirty.
Speaker 3: Ginormous baby face like he was at the time. I mean he was.
Speaker 1: It's rare that it's a baby is that, you know, kind of as you know, they're to fight from them, you know, underneath, to you know, to to be able to fight from up, you know, off the that at a at a villain, at a bad guy.
Speaker 4: Which actually, you make a really good point because more of today's modern wrestling is scientific. If you know chain wrestling and you have a medium build, you can beat a much larger person. But uh, this wasn't today's wrestling. So Hogan, I just remember he always fought everybody. Kamala. They brought Kamala up from Memphis to fight him, and my boys. Oh I love Kamala, Sugar Bear Harris, Sugar Bear Harris. But getting into What is really important about the legacy see of what hul Cogan did is the fact that he was one of the first wrestlers at his size, which was a ginormous size at the time, that they said, Okay, we could put him against Andre and then we could put him against Lawler in Memphis, and then we could ship him off to Portland and he can learn some new things from Buddy Rose and a few other people there. And believe it or not, people playboy Buddy Rose was pretty amazing if you watched what he could do as far as chain wrestling. So he was a project person and he was discovered in Florida. We both know this. And he was trained by Hiro Matsuda. And the whole thing was he always said in his interviews that his first day, Hiro Matsuda broke his leg. Then there's other stories like, well he came back eight weeks later. You're not coming back eight weeks later from a broken leg.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe in nineteen eighty or whatever it was eighty one, mate.
Speaker 4: Well, what did Chris Rock You say, pour the testinon it. Just pour the testing on it.
Speaker 3: So I buy that that happened. I know.
Speaker 1: Hogan's like famous for his you know, degenerations that I buy that Metsuita probably did actually break his way.
Speaker 4: We will get to that. But yeah, so seriously, he was They say that he had a broken leg. Now historians and analysts say it was just sprained and he could get back on it. Whatever. The point is, he blew up, and he blew up huge, and so he moved from Florida up to Memphis. And then you weren't anybody back then because there was WWF was WWWF back then, and it was way up. It was a territory, it was it was different. And so you know, if you worked Lawlor, that was like the biggest thing in the world at that point. You worked Lawlor Fargo all the people in Memphis because that was the capital of wrestling at that time in the world. Now do you know anything about his so called musical history.
Speaker 1: I know a bit about his musical history. I know the fact that he is a legitimate you know, as far as I know. And I'm a musician myself, but you know, a pretty decent musician, you know, pretty good bass player for a number of years.
Speaker 3: For what that's worth. A bass players get a lot of flack. But yeah, from what I've seen, I think he was.
Speaker 1: I don't know much about his history, but from what I can tell, you know, gleaning over the years, it seems like he was a pretty competent musician.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously in Memphis, that's when he met Jimmy Hart, and that's when Jimmy Hart and the Gentries actually had a number one hit. People don't know that, some people do you know it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if you're wrestling historian, you do. If you're not, you don't. And so there was a little bond there, and then of course it was time for the Big Hulk to keep moving around. Now he went by several different names. Do you have any of those names on you?
Speaker 1: Terry Boulder, that's the best one, Terry Bold. And then his little brother right was a booty.
Speaker 4: Man, Dizzy Hogan. And let's not forget that he was also Sterling Gold. And he would shave. He would shave his chest hair into a tornado.
Speaker 3: I've seen those pictures.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's so funny. It's like who would do And it's so like lopside.
Speaker 1: That's just the thing being him with chest hair or something like that. The visual itself, I mean, you're we're so removed from that time period would be more so. But you know, to see him looking like any other way than he did, you know traditionally the red and yellow and then later but it's so weird. It's such a strange thing. You've used to wear blue. I guess was it white even? I think, yeah, we're white trunks. Maybe that was in Rocky Thunderlips. Yeah, yeah, another great name.
Speaker 3: Why didn't they use that? Where was that gimmick?
Speaker 4: That should be my new email? Like Thunderlips that, you know, because someone probably has that and we don't want them to get like fire bombed. But getting back to the situation of Hogan is he he did a lot of things as far as making the business better because Vince McMahon saw something in him. He was stolen from vern Gania, and that's because vern Gania had all the big men and he was taking them one by one. That's Vince McMahon. Excuse me pronounce pal. Vince was stealing all the big men that Vern had, and so vern was left with a lot of anemic, smallot characters. But Hogan was the most impactful because I guess Vince saw him and said, okay, I can do something with him. Now, Oh my gosh, he was the only person at that size, that six seven, three hundred that was taking care of himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like impressive. I mean the guy he must have been. It must have been incredible seeing the guy in.
Speaker 3: A room for the first time. Just the impressiveness of his figure.
Speaker 4: I can't fathom, Like if he walked into a room, how big he is, Like does he duck going through the doorway? And now what people do not know is that Hogan wrestled as a heel for so many years before he makes his big break in nineteen eighty four, before Vince saw the dollar signs on him, he was a heel everywhere and his number one opponent Andre.
Speaker 1: Number I was going to say, I wasn't sure if he wanted me to go on and answer to that. But before the first time he slammed Andre, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, and uh, it was because he was strong enough to do it even though he was smaller than Andre. They're trying to create a story, and I don't know if Vince McMahon was writing a story that would later become wrestle Mania three.
Speaker 1: You're giving him the triple H long term storytelling the credit.
Speaker 4: That's like a fifteen year story run.
Speaker 3: End up happening.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will, you know, just for jump off for one second, recently saying hang man page.
Speaker 3: When the aw title back.
Speaker 1: I couldn't have seen Tony Kahn writing that four years ago, whatever it was when he wanted full gear the first time. But you know, sometimes wrestling has a way of winding itself back around, and you've got a character that kind of rises back up to the top at the right time, and it sort of completes that Art Koe Rhoades did something, you know, quite similar.
Speaker 3: But these things happen. Sometimes they're just it's a happy accident.
Speaker 4: That's a great way of putting it. Sometimes if there's a train wreck, you shouldn't look at it, but you can't help but look, and all of a sudden you get hooked at seeing what you're seeing. And that's what Hogan's I don't want to say his legacy, but what his career was. So I want to talk a little bit more about some of Do you have any favorite Hogan matches?
Speaker 1: I mean, the favorite is Wrestlemanny three against andre I know that's probably the cheapest answer anybody could give in that category. But I just don't see how it's not. It's it's so huge as a match, as a moment, and I would say even somewhat just the sports sense, like a real sports sense, at least in the United States. But a lot of the rest of my favorites really came sort of later on in his career when he was in WCW. I remember the cage match between him and Flaired Uncensored. I want to say ninety nine that yours truly attended with some old friends, you know, when we were about twelve years old. That was a good one, probably amplified by the fact that we were there alive and Freedom Hall for it. And then the Rocky match, which I don't know if it gets the right amount or not as enough credit. To be honest with you, sometimes it seems one way, sometimes it seems to the other. But too you know, I was never a same that you said earlier. I was never really that big of a Hogan fan growing up. I just liked the other guys around him, and especially when he got to the nWo, I wasn't an nWo guy. I wanted to see Sting and DDP take him down and sort of similarly with Rocky, you know, recognize how great he was, but he was never one of my.
Speaker 3: Favorite guys that I like to cheer for.
Speaker 1: But to go back and and even we watched this match, you know, live when we were kids, on pay per view too, but you know, going back now, it's just one of those matches that the crowd is completely into it. You know, these guys are probably, if not top to top three or four, you know pro wrestling stars that you know, definitely the top two that turned into like cultural, you know, more icons. I would still argue, exactly, it's got that over Rocky. I know, Rockies massive these days, and maybe it's you know, recency bias for a lot of people, but I still don't think that he's managed to kind of eclipse the shadow that sort of Hogan's kind of big, wide cultural figure cast.
Speaker 4: You know, what I think is really interesting is with Vince McMahon's ability in the eighties to always trademark everything. He could never trade mark Hulk Hogan because the word hulk is owned by Marvel Studios. People don't know this. That's why he could always be whole Kokan not be Terry Blay again or Sterling golden again, Lord forbid and not have Dizzy Hogan. Oh, dear Lord, we wouldn't.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't have gotten one of my other favorite uh Hogan moments. If Horace Beefcake you know, show back up in w CW with them, we wouldn't have gotten that beautiful.
Speaker 3: Booty booty booty booty moments.
Speaker 4: Well, Hogan always had his stooges, Okay, And so folks, everybody who's listening and putting their earballs on this, I want you to realize that we're not trying to doubt him. We're just we're having a little fun with this because it's it is a morning moment for somebody who helped innovate wrestling as we know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and one of them is Jimmy Hart you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel bad for a guy like Jimmy Hart, who is obviously very close with whole you know, for his you know, career.
Speaker 3: That exactly, and put so much time and his own money, his own at work ethic.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jimmy Hart's one of the one of the real good ones out there still, so I do I do feel obviously for him and his Hogan's family.
Speaker 3: You deserve a little bit of condolences there as well, even though they're a little clown show. Let's say, you know, from the old reality TV days.
Speaker 1: He can't really escape that too much, but they do, you know, deserve condolences.
Speaker 4: So I will say a couple of matches that I really enjoyed that Hull Cogin was part of was what he lost the belt to the Undertaker the first time. That was pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: That was the time that he that Undertaker dropped him on his head on.
Speaker 4: A chair seven inches away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you don't know this, yeah, if you don't know this is a huge controversy with it, and there was not necessarily a few because I'm not going to speak for anybody else who can't be on the show. But the Undertaker has said a lot of things on his podcast about the fact that his head was nowhere near it and then he claimed, well, you jarred my body and they put the belt right back on Hogan, which made no sense. And that point Undertaker was hot and he was just taking off. And while I'm not a big fan, a traditional fan of like this person gets pushed to the moon in retrospect, looking at the Undertaker's catalog of matches versus Hogan's it's you know, apples and oranges.
Speaker 1: So Thinker was still kind of always I don't think McMahon really. I mean, it's amazing to be and maybe one day we'll talk about Undertaker, hopefully a long time from now, just saying yes, many many more years before that. But you know, he's a guy that McMahon got.
Speaker 3: A whole hell of a lot out of. But I still feel like, man, he could have gotten so much more. He never really had big, long rains. You know, his rings were sort of shorter.
Speaker 4: You know, oh exactly, but you know this is Hogan's moment, so yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: We're tacketting off. That's okay, Yeah, part of the Hogan verse.
Speaker 4: Man, exactly the Hogan verse. He did have his own verse. I mean, they would bring in people two times his size that they would find like Earthquake. John Tenta was an actual Yoko Zuna, which is a real Grand Master Champion Suma wrestler, and they said that he might have been as tough as Andre the Giant, but when Andre was gone, they had him facing Hogan and it was it just was so hokey and It's nothing against John Tenta, It's just you didn't buy it because you built the character in five months. Andre was around for forty years. Yeah, it just didn't make sense at the time, and so you couldn't buy into him like that. You couldn't buy into when they put him in a tag team with with Brutus Beefcake and they were going against what was it a Rhythm and blues. You remember that Honckey talking Greg the Hammer Valentine. I love Greg.
Speaker 3: He did not look good as a brunant. Let's way.
Speaker 4: Remember Gorilla Monsoon used to call him Bucks car Willie. I loved it. I loved that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll tell you what you bring up monson. One guy that I wish for many reasons that he still around, Bobby Heenan. But I can't say I wouldn't love to have heard you know. You know, Bobby would have had a great one liner after hearing the Hogan to day.
Speaker 3: You would have had something really funny to say.
Speaker 4: Well, that's That's the one thing that people never had realized is the fact that Hogan never had a foil. It was always Bobby Heenan finding people to go after him. That was his Foil that was his enemy. It wasn't Andre because they worked program.
Speaker 1: You talk about you talk about long term storytelling, you take it right up from WWF from all the Heenan family guys going after him Andre.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Heenan always did even when he got to the WCW.
Speaker 1: He would always favor some of the guys that he used to manage, Rick Rude and Kurt Handing of those guys in WCW. But always kept up the anti Hogan thing to the point that if you remember Bash at the Beach, the famous turn, everybody people still do this day think that like, oh, Heenan screwed up up and he gave away the ending of what was going to happen because he's walking down into the ring Hogan and there's yellow and yellow and red and here comes Hogan and then the Heenen goes.
Speaker 3: But whose side is he on? Which is I mean, heen.
Speaker 1: Is one of the greatest minds in wrestling, and he gosh, like a little thing like that makes another an iconic moment just.
Speaker 3: A little bit better.
Speaker 4: Just the second he dropped the second he dropped the leg, Keenan goes. I told you this for years. Everybody something like that. It was like I told you this for years.
Speaker 3: Rest in peace.
Speaker 4: He is he is. It was his vendetta against Hogan.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: And so another Hogan fact is that people don't know that Bobby Heenen used to manage Nick Bockwinkle in the A w A and that was the one man that Hogan could not beat and Nick b Yeah, he could not beat Nick.
Speaker 1: Bocke, the one guy that Hogan could not convince. You know, well, Burn, I don't think I'm going to do that.
Speaker 4: He couldn't do it. He might have went over him in like a dusty finish or something like that, but the title always stayed on Nick Bockwinkle. And then when Nick Bockwinkle had a chance to jump to the WWF, which he did in the eighties, and I was shocked because I was like, he was the AWA champion like three weeks ago. He's on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, his legacy in WWF obviously pals.
Speaker 1: You know, it never really got to that point on a cultural level either.
Speaker 4: It was a different time. We're going to the cartoon era of wrestling, and aw A was going bankrupt. I hate to say it, and this is not me bad mouthing the company because I liked a lot of the early stuff in the aw.
Speaker 1: A son had his problems later in the in that run as far as booking and all that. I don't think that's really that disputed.
Speaker 4: So many people, like I said, they didn't know that Hogan was the original idea UGP champion, the original belt version, the very first champion went over Antonioki in New Japan. Hulkogan. Now when we draw that back, okay, he controversial, like lost the championship. Anoki's gonna do what Anochi wants to do. He goes back to the States, Awa bounces right back did Rocky, and then goes to WWF. People don't know that sometime in the late eighties he went over to New Japan and he wrestled the Great Mudha.
Speaker 3: And so that.
Speaker 4: Is one of the most interesting matches to watch in your life because you're going to say, that is not the same Hulkgan. This is not kick punch, body slam, clothesline, leg drop, and call my ear this He actually wrestled. And you look at it and you said, Okay, if you had this the whole time, do you know how much bigger you would have been My.
Speaker 1: Favorite Hulkogan move is the Hulkogan in Japan dropped toe hold.
Speaker 3: Oh, dear lord, I don't think I.
Speaker 1: Ever saw him do a drop toe hold in any other match in in the States anyway, you know over here.
Speaker 4: Did you ever see when he wrestled I think it might have been Rick Flair in the nineties and instead of doing the whole circle around figure four, he actually put the guys. I think it was Rick Flair, like put his feet into the four, then stepped in it, slowly stepped over and then fell down. And my brother and I were watching that, and he and I have been watching since eighty four. We're just like, what now, with this being said, you could say good things or bad things about Hull Cocain. He's wrestled everybody, and he has put over some legends. He has under duress, put over Rick Flair. He has on his way loud yes, yes, with a bash in the head with a chair from Eric Bischoff. Yeah, but that was I mean, they were trying to make him into stone cold at that point. It was just like no, no, yeah, Bill Billy Kidman, Yeah, I loved him back then, but it was just it was just different. You know, we look at different times.
Speaker 1: Weird thing to look back on now as an adult and go billy kidman against Hogan. That's I seem to remember watching it when I was like, you know, fourteen, But this is a weird one.
Speaker 4: It was just one of those deals, you know, like that's when Vince Russo came in and Eric Bischoff, of course he had his lips firmly planted on Hogan's and that's a posterior by the way, and it just it just didn't make sense it I.
Speaker 1: Hadn't venturing in the late nineties w CW territory. There's a you could you could write a bible with those stories.
Speaker 4: But oh, you and I could go all night on this kind of stuff. But the fact is, at one point the train had left.
Speaker 3: This is why the companies in the state that it's in.
Speaker 4: Brother and anybody who has concreative control over their own contract ruins wrestling. There should be no such thing. And then you had the so called Russo Is it a shoot?
Speaker 3: Is it not?
Speaker 4: I don't even care at this point. And then you have the whole situation with w W going under. And I always thought the best way for the last episode is Hogan, Paul and Nash go up and shake Fence McMahon's hands like they really were invaders to say, well, we didn't do it our way, but we got it done for you, boss. That could have been one of the most overstories ever.
Speaker 3: And it than what they ended up doing. But yeah, that's I never thought of it that way, you know.
Speaker 4: Actually my brother thought about that like it was the best way they could do it instead of the way they did it at the end. But it Hogan being the leader of the nWo, like the original nWo, there's only one third left. It's crazy. It's crazy to think about that. And then when he turned heel like you were talking about, like Bash of the Beach and everything else. I never thought I would see that. In fact, we just we had like the little cheap boxes on our televisions. Okay, we had cheap boxes and so we kind of illegally, I mean statute of limitations so we get pay per view. But I had to work that day. I was a young kid. I was like, I don't know, nineteen or something like that, and I worked my summer job and I'm just working and working, and I got home and my good friend who were going to dedicate a show too soon. Scott Blair calls me, he is did you hear what happened? And I was like no, he's like Hogan turned heel. I didn't believe him. I did not believe him. And he's like, yeah, he's like Hogan turned heel today. And so Nitro went from okay because Raw was terrible at that time. You had all the gimmicks, so you just watched it and you had this more gritty your product. But he was part of that and if he didn't say yes, it was gonna be sting. But he said yes, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: And I got that would have we're saying with sting in that place, not saying that Steve Worton couldn't do it, but I'm not sure that it works, you know, the way that they really wanted to work to make it, make it as impactful as it was.
Speaker 4: It was very impactful. It was it was everybody. It was water cooler talk. I hate to say it's something like that, like, I mean.
Speaker 1: You set up that next whatever year, year and a half bill to star K ninety seven that they royally screw up, but nonetheless.
Speaker 4: Eighty three weeks eighty three weeks and Vince had never been spanked like that before and he could not understand it. And that's that's what made it so beautiful because growing up as an NWA to w W fan and then when Hogan got there, I was just suppressed because I was like, you have talent like Vader and Rick Flair and Ronson and all these people have to go under for him, and I'm like, did you had your time? You have TV shows and your movie suck?
Speaker 3: They did they suck?
Speaker 4: Okay, well we're going to talk about that. So this is what I want to say. So Hull cocin. I did own a Hull cokein T shirt in nineteen eighty four. Oh it was it was orange yellow. Yes, it was Hull Comania right across it. And I probably weighed about eighty pounds. So yeah, I was really filling that out for him. But it's the fact that if it wasn't for him, Vince McMahon wouldn't have had the vision or the superstar to create the next level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, arguably, no rock and the rock and wrestling connection, which is really what springboarded springboard whatever.
Speaker 3: The gold it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, the rock and wrestling connection was the biggest part of creating what was going to be the Golden era. Cindy Lappers Here, Ozzy Osbourne's here, Alice Cooper is here. People forget about that. Alice Cooper in wrestlmating I think it was three was in Jacob Snake's corner. People forget about this stuff. But it was Hogan who did this, and I think actually the genius mind behind it was Jimmy Hart.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he had a lot to do with that.
Speaker 4: Well, they paired up with uh, what was his name, Rick Dillinger and they did the wrestling albums.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 4: And I know everybody who's listening is like saying, okay.
Speaker 3: Who also just passed away a couple of months ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so this is I didn't even think about that until just now, and it's like, well, just not that long ago.
Speaker 3: You lose the guy that made the Real American.
Speaker 1: Which just saying is got to be one of the best insurance themes out there.
Speaker 4: And you're the only guy who could answer this. Who was it originally for?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I know that one actually the original the song was originally for, not for Hogan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was not for Hogan. He came out to the Tiger. He came out to Eye of the Tiger because they had all that Rocky all that that that Rocky three momentum. This is really cool.
Speaker 1: I knew that was the case, but I did not know they intended to use the Darringer song for somebody else.
Speaker 4: It was the US Express, Mike Rotunda and Barry would It was their theme song. And then Barry left. They reformed the team with Dan Spivey, changed their theme and gave it to Whole Cocin. I'm a real mayor Rickan.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Like I haven't really sat down since he died to do this yet, but I have in the past. You know, go back and watch some older matches and again, you know, go back to wrestlemany three.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's gotten.
Speaker 1: He was one of the only guys that even had music. Even at that point. There wasn't a lot of guys that were doing it. But Andrey comes out with uh, heenan and the music hits, and I mean, that's whatever.
Speaker 3: Me and Jean said.
Speaker 1: That was sixty nine seventy something thousand people whatever.
Speaker 4: Ninety thousand, like, yeah, ninety thousand. I think they say it was just like mind blowing, like how goofy it was. But in the end, what I want to say about Hull Cogan is I was a kid. It was nineteen eighty four, and I was really into wrestling because I met a friend named Heath Tittle, And to this day, I will I should probably sign off on this a lot. Heath, if you ever listen to this, you gave me this sickness. You can never take it away. We went to a book fair. We bought these books. I've said this on other shows, and there was one that was like an encyclopedia wrestling, and I memorized the whole thing. And I would watch Territory wrestling because in Cleveland we had that and it was so awesome. But Hogan was every Hogan. Hogan, Hogan, Hogan, hope you look up in the sky instead of the bat symbol, you see Hogan. That's what Vince McMahon did. But he knew how to make a national expansion, and he put it on the back and a huge back of a bleach blonde guy with a receding hairline who is a mediocre wrestler at best. And that's what they did now before we close out, before Hogan passed, he said a couple of interesting things. Would you like to touch on that, Sean.
Speaker 1: Hip, we must just right before we do that, you know, I get something good out, like you were saying, goes without it goes without saying.
Speaker 3: I mean we kind of joked on it earlier that you.
Speaker 1: Go off and list this guy and list this other guy and go off on tenons. And we could probably do this for four hours but or longer. But I think that it is an example.
Speaker 3: Showing just how big he is.
Speaker 1: I won't even say it was because I even think still for this day, it still a massive piece of pro wrestling.
Speaker 3: And you can't really at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the day talk about very much from the last you know, forty years or so in pro wrestling without it in some way being, if not connected, you know, somewhat tertiarily related to hul Cogan. That's how huge he was and even remains. Again, I just don't think there's really any denying that despite some.
Speaker 3: Of the problematic things that.
Speaker 1: Have happened since his career ended, and we all know, and you know, you look back on it now and it's a little you know, sad. We don't want to imagine going through you know, your last real big public appearance like it was that the was it the first Netflix showing overall, and he got booed out of the building. You know, the Maga stuff obviously, the racial stuff that was involved with the bubblah, the love sponge.
Speaker 3: You know, if you want to get really political, you know.
Speaker 4: Now don't we don't do programs on the.
Speaker 1: Show, no, but just mentioning to the taking down Galker, you know, with Peter Teel and all of that, the sex tape case, to even stuff that was in his career. I mean, Jesse Venture talks a lot about how Hogan really scuffled their attempt to unionize the wrestlers, which you could argue would have a negative or a positive impact on the industry as a whole. Obviously, Hogan stood to gain less by that happening, and he used his you know, power and influence to uh to rat a Venture out and squash that.
Speaker 3: And he'd squashed, you know, cut.
Speaker 1: The legs off of a lot of other guys who may or again may not have been deserving to kind of take that you know, that torch.
Speaker 3: To the next to the next level. But that's what happened.
Speaker 1: And I just again it comes back to him being such an iconic figure in this industry that even so many negative things can be said about his character, you know, not so much the Hogan character, but behind the scenes, the politicker, you know, the guy you know, looking out for himself more so than some of his you know, the stuff with Randy Savage. It's it's a very complicated person, Terry Bolea.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the he is still a person. You know. I don't love the guy.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's an evil person. That's a pretty you know, far stretch. Definitely a got some pretty had some pretty bad opinions.
Speaker 3: On a lot of things, but you know, that's that's humans.
Speaker 1: And again I feel, you know, condolences to his family and his friends, people that knew him, love them. I'm sure they're hurting right now. And you know, as a whole industry is pro wrestling.
Speaker 3: We were, We've just lost.
Speaker 1: The biggest icon that probably will ever exist. I don't know, if you know, who knows sixty years from now, I don't know if anybody can really get to that level at this point.
Speaker 4: Again, probably not to be honest, with you. I mean Stone Cold and The Rock were the two closest, and they did what they did and they sold out a lot of things. But as far as Hogan went, I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: Just a different level. It's not it is it really is.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's the It's the Yankees in baseball, you know winning, you know twenty seven, you know World Series, you know so many more than even the next, you know, best team. It's just this industry has one massive icon that it can never really get out of the shadow of. And that's definitely Hulkogan. Say what you will about Vince mcmahonon things going forward. I still think he's kind of up there too, but it's not quite the same with him.
Speaker 4: Well, with that, I would I just want to say that my movie recommendation of the Night you can wait. Oh yes, only for one scene, No hold sparred one. Forgive me for telling you to watch that movie.
Speaker 3: Well, I've seen it. I love it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it is. You know what the scene is, doom gees what you That's That's what it all comes down to, is what's that smell? Doong geese? That's the only Hogan movie you should ever watch. Because anything else I don't like, but go ahead, point of order.
Speaker 1: My pick is and will always be Suburban Commando. I'll take it to my grave. I love that movie Front the Back. It's hilarious. It's hilariously bad.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Christopher Lloyd and Shelby Devaller also in the movie, and The Undertaker a young Mark Callaway, Yes, Bruno Undertaker. He is a great scene where he finally speaks and he says to Chef Ramsey Hogan's character, you're a dead man Ramsey.
Speaker 3: But it's he has the voice of a four year old.
Speaker 4: You're a man.
Speaker 3: No wonder you guys never talked, which is always a nice visual. You go back on YouTube that when we get done with this, just didn't.
Speaker 4: Have a young voice. He did have a young no, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm they well he probably did, but I mean they actually like dubbed a four year old saying you're a dead man Ramsey over the Undertaker, you know, minding it on screen.
Speaker 4: Who has like the deepest voice, like uh all right.
Speaker 1: And then John for Lloyd shouting that he was frozen today. I was frozen today.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: Even if Christopher Lloyd does something bad, you can't really fault him because he's Christopher Lloyd, because whatever he does is good, like Back to the Future, it's just like iconic.
Speaker 1: He played almost like a very scary hobo who might be trying to abduct Dennis and Dennis a menace.
Speaker 3: But we all still love Christoph Lloyd.
Speaker 4: And one last fact for you, which you're gonna know this because people, I cannot beat Sean at Triview.
Speaker 3: You already you already struck out on that once earlier in this in this program, I always do this.
Speaker 4: So what is Shelley Duvall known for as far as cinema goes for.
Speaker 1: A cinema, well, good lord, she was in the Shining.
Speaker 3: Popeye got to love that.
Speaker 4: What were to make famous famous?
Speaker 3: What should she make famous famous?
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm?
Speaker 3: Talking about a particular line.
Speaker 4: A particular scene, Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean she passed Jackson over the head of the bat.
Speaker 1: That was pretty good reading the letters, you know, which, then we could get started on the whole we'll start in movies podcast sometimes soon, which you know, Shining is a great one and Shelley Didball deserved a ton of credit for putting up with you know anyway.
Speaker 4: So it's the scene with the bat. She had the most scenes and takes ever in history at the point that the Shining was made. It was like one hundred and eighty or something like that, because Stanley Kubrick kept saying, it doesn't look realistic. When when she was swinging at him, he just kept saying, like, stop, take again, take again, take again. It doesn't look real like.
Speaker 1: The old It's like the old Phil Spector thing where he would get the wrecking crew in there in the recording studio and just have them play the same song over and.
Speaker 3: Over and over and over again until it felt like their arms are going to fall off. What did Shelley Douvall?
Speaker 1: And for pretty much most of that movie, Poor Woman, they always feel bad for Shelley Douvall. My favorite was always that old TV movie What was It The Mother Goose? Uh had all the Howie Mandel's and then Paul Simon, Jeane Stapleton, all those guys.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 4: Mother Goose presents.
Speaker 3: Something like that. If she had her own she had her own show it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fairy Tale Theater. It was fairy Tale Theater. I got you, okay, last thing a song or a food that you want to recommend well on.
Speaker 1: This occasion, of all occasions, there can only be two. We already talked about Rick Dringers, so that you have to go.
Speaker 3: With maybe the coolest insurance music just because the song is so cool.
Speaker 1: But Jimmy Hendrix for the nWo Hogan music not the end of you ob team music that we all know and love. Yeah, Vudu child, And of course the food of the day is Postumania.
Speaker 4: Brother, That's that's a pretty pretty awesome, amazing, good put together. Okay, So I'm gonna go with my song is probably going to be space Hog. In the meantime, it's a song from the past. And that's when like the Hogan thing was happening, and I was happy to watch like the nw actually doing something, and I was actually interested in watching Hogan instead of like say your prayers, eat your vitamins. I've done that. I'm still one hundred and forty five pounds. Hey, I'm just being honest with you, okay, but as you can admit, I look good for fifty And you know, as far as food goes, I've been thinking about like a lot of different recipes lately, and I'm thinking about like a different version of a sloppy Joe because it's gonna be tailgating seasoned soon. It's called a sloppy Jose. And so you ground your meat and you make all your sauce, but you boil your sauce and cherry tomatoes and everything else and you ground it up. But you throw in two shots of tequila, which I'm not a big fan of, but it works in this recipe. And then you use a lot of Mexican spices and a pinch of molet. And I'm gonna tell you what, having a sloppy Jose is a really good sandwich. It's a really really good sandwich.
Speaker 3: So it sounds all right, it needs a better name. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: That's just what I discovered it as like YouTube.
Speaker 2: You know me.
Speaker 4: As far as.
Speaker 1: I'm not putting sloppy Jose in YouTube, I'm sore on any search engine.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry gonna do it. It's really get to me.
Speaker 4: With that one, brother, Okay, as far as that at one four four captain on X, that's how you could reach me.
Speaker 3: Sean, nobody can reach me. Don't try.
Speaker 4: God, I love you, but I can reach you. So aside from that, Jimmy rock it out. That's