Speaker 1: Forty five degrees in Boston at four o'clock. Good afternoon, and Happy New Year. I'm I'm a freedman. And here's what's happening. Well, we're starting off in New Orleans, where authorities are investigating after a truck plowed through busy Bourbon Street overnight, killing at least ten people. We're starting to hear comment from all corners of the political world on the horrific seen their President Biden says he will not tolerate any attack on communities across the country. Back home here in Massachusetts, state police say they're monitoring the situation and that there does not appear to be any connection to Massachusetts at the moment. Senator Ed Markey is also weighing in. Wbz's Mike Macklin has more.
Speaker 2: America grieves for the families, and we're harmed in this tragedy.
Speaker 3: Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey reacting to the New Year's Day killing of ten people by the driver of a pickup truck in New Orleans, an event the FBI says they're treating as a terrorist attack.
Speaker 2: We applaud law enforcement officials for their response to this act, which is as heinous as any that we've seen in our country in a long time, and now we must ensure that we put it in place protections to ensure that it does not happen in cities across our country.
Speaker 3: The FBI noting and Islamic state flag was found on the pickup truck Mike Macklin WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: And across the country. The FBI is investigating after a Tesla cyber truck exploded outside the Trump International Hotel near the Las Vegas Strip. The person inside the cyber truck was killed. Seven others suffered minor injuries. Las Vegas POLICEFF Sheriff Kevin mcmacklin has more in the investigation.
Speaker 4: Looking for secondary devices.
Speaker 1: We're taking it slow and we are going to make sure that we remain safe in our community, and the sheriff says there does not appear to be any ongoing threat to the community at this time. North Writing Republican Brad Jones has just been re elected as the state House's minority leader. Jones beat out hardliner State Rep. Mark Lombardo from bill Rica to keep the seat that he's held onto since two thousand and two, sixteen years. Over the course of the race, Lombardo leveled sharp criticism at Jones, accusing him of not towing to democrats Ko towing to Democrats. The Boston Globe reports the final vote was nineteen to five. Jones says he's honored to lead the House's twenty five member GOP caucus for another two years. Right now, it's forty five degrees in Boston at four to ozh four. I'm seeing a little tiny touch of rain around the Waltham Belmont area right now, closer to Belmont actually, just a little bit of rain over there, and also heading in towards Winthrop at the moment, we're gonna see more showers like this kind of spotting around the region as we head into this evening. Otherwise, it's gonna be mostly cloudy out there with some wind low of thirty six degrees tonight. As for tomorrow, it'll be windy and a bit chillier with a mix of clouds and sun. The high is forty four degrees, but acuather real field temperatures will be mostly in the twenties Tomorrow night. It's gonna be getting colder out there alone, near thirty degrees with mainly clear skies. Real field temps in the teens most of the time Tomorrow night. As for Friday, it's gonna be a bit colder with some sunshine coming through the clouds, but that's not gonna help much with how cold it's gonna feel out there. A high of thirty seven degrees, but no wind to make it feel colder with those real field temps. As for our weekend on Saturday, mainly sunny, breezy, and cold, a high of thirty four degrees. Right now, it's forty five in Boston at four to five. Hundreds of people ran into the ocean today to ring in the new year. Wbz's Suzanne Soasville is in Southeas.
Speaker 5: Lots of people run in, but don't put their heads under the icy water. Not these old timers.
Speaker 3: Of course we go under the water. Of course we swim a little bit, but we don't hang in a jewel long maybe a minute at joke.
Speaker 2: It's just become a very fun way to kick in the new year. Or the other side of that is not the worst can happen to us for the rest of the year when we get out.
Speaker 4: Of that cold water.
Speaker 5: That's the consensus. A great way to start the new year. But Bill, who wears a duck nosed feet and hat, is also wearing a shirt that reads Willie, You're always with us.
Speaker 4: That was our sign.
Speaker 3: He died of a fentanyl with those in twenty seventeen and he loved Donald Duck, so we're doing it for him.
Speaker 5: And Kathy is doing it for someone she loves.
Speaker 6: My friend Kevin, who passed away this past year. Year here and I came when returned fifty.
Speaker 5: We made a promise to each other to come back this year when we returned six. Daty l Street Brownies have been taking this New Year's Day polar plunge for more than one hundred years. In Southeast Suzanne Sausville, WBZ, Boston's news radio, and.
Speaker 1: Many others are spending today outside, though not necessarily in the ocean. WBZ is Carl Stevens says a lot of people are taking a New Year's Day hike at the break Art Reservation in Saugust.
Speaker 4: Break Art Reservation is just one of many DCR sites across the Commonwealth hosting First Day hikes. Despite the drizzly weather, a couple hundred people have hit the trails here. Peter Rosetti with friends at break Art Reservation talks about why hiking is such a good thing.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing because number one, to connect people with nature, which is a great thing. It's also good exercise.
Speaker 4: kJ from Lynn got some exercise hiking for two miles here.
Speaker 6: I'm an artist, so every turn just seemed like a pain in to me. The different tones of greens and browns, and just the whole motivated was just inspirational.
Speaker 4: After the hike, everybody can enjoy free clam chowder and hot chocolate and grab a free commemorative hat to celebrate the start of a new year. From saga's Carl Stevens WBT, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: And there's a glimmer of hope for mom and pop shops that are at risk of going out of business as the mal number five market in Lull gets set to close at the end of the month. The Lowell Sun reports a group of those shop owners are raising money to build a new market in the former Saint Jean Baptist Church on Mamaraneck Street. The donation page received more than twenty three thousand donations in less than forty eight hours. The goal is to raise one hundred thousand dollars total. Brian McGowan, the owner of the church, says he believes the new space will be a great asset to the city. You are now in the loop. For news updates throughout the day, Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm a Freedman WBZ Bostin's News Radio