Speaker 1: Welcome to a very special edition of Dodger Talk David Vassay live at Dodgers Stadium. We have forced our way in to Dodger Fest and we are going to be here with you for the next three hours. There is heavy security around this broadcast site. There's my guy, Tanner Scott, intimidating bald head with a great beard, Tanner Scott, and yeah, we got a lot of security here making sure I don't overstep my boundaries here, which is a very small one. And there's my guy, a man that every Dodger fan appreciates. Now it's never too late to appreciate him, and he is now greeting news God. Yeah, there he is Dave Roberts, two time World Series Champion, greeting his newest reliever. Dave Roberts has wanted Tanner Scott since December, and you got your Christmas gift in January.
Speaker 2: I think I've wanted Tanner for like four or five years, but I couldn't say it publicly, but we finally got our man.
Speaker 3: And this is a great turnout.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of energy and obviously with the renovation we got going on here at Dodger Stadium, so we're kind of making it work. But I just ran into Evan Phillips and Taylo Gonsolin show. Hey was on the stage, So this is just exciting. And I'm a week out from heading to Camelback, so it's already upon us.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts has been a great ambassador for the Dodgers during his tenure as manager, but this off season, Dave seems to be a worldwide ambassador's ship by you can you take us through your off season because you really have been the face of this franchise after winning the World Series and rightfully.
Speaker 2: So, you know what I think, Dave, thanks for saying that. And I think the first thing that comes to mind is Tommy la Sorta. I don't think there was a bigger advocate for the game of baseball and the Los Angeles Dodgers and Tommy Lasorta, and with how we're playing, with what we've done being so glow, it was something for me just to really try to make Los Angeles the epicenter of the world in sports, and obviously shohes a big part of that.
Speaker 3: Winning certainly does that. And I took a trip to Japan.
Speaker 2: You know we're gonna obviously go back and just talking about the Dodgers, talking about baseball. It's really exciting to be a Dodger.
Speaker 1: When you always talk about gratitude, do you feel like there's that gratitude from your players and from the city after just the ride you gave everybody last year?
Speaker 3: There is?
Speaker 2: And the great thing about our players is, certainly the city of Los Angeles has gone through some hard times, some tragedy recently, and to see our guys step up in the community. I always talked Dave, and you know this, and baseball is bigger than us. It's got to be bigger than you. It's about the Dodgers, it's about the city, it's baseball in general. And it's a responsibility and not just it's not responsibility go out there and show up and pitch every fifth day or take it back. It's responsibility to do more. And so our guys have stepped up, and with that, they are ready for twenty twenty five spring training.
Speaker 3: I've seen so many guys.
Speaker 2: They're excited, they look good physically, they're excited to go back to back and we know we got to target on our backs and we're gonna be ready to kind of you take hold and own it and repeat as champs.
Speaker 1: A couple of things of what you just said right there, Let's just start about the responsibility to the city, the community. You not only lead in the dugout, but you lead in that way. And I saw something this week of you being a leader in that respect where you met with the Pacific Palisades High School baseball team. You met with those kids and it wasn't a quit meet. You actually took the time to listen to them and hear their story. What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: It was certainly like I told those kids, I said, I'm going to get more of this than you guys are getting out of this interaction, and obviously acknowledging what they're going through, what their families are going through. Half of that group of young men lost their homes and they're displaced and trying to do school online and commuting to Cheviot Hills Park for baseball, and they open up in a week, and I just basically commended them on their desire to keep going, certainly playing baseball. They were out there, joyful, laughing. It was a little bit of a diversion, a respite from real life. But I told them Dave that they have a chance to individually collectively write their own story, and not only the city of Los Angeles, but our country has eyes on them. Thoughts, prayers are going out to them, their families and as they embark on a baseball season, you know, baseball. I mean, I said, guys, there might be an opportunity, this might be a yeah, you know, and their relationships right now with what they've gone through. These kids, they've have gone through COVID, They've gone through this and for young kids in a short time in their lives, that's a lot to take on. And so again I was just giving them a lot of encouragement and praise and a little shout out certainly to Palisay's high school charter school baseball program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave Roberts has his finger on the heartbeat of this city. He not only has managed here for the last nine years, he's not only won two World Series championships, but he played and he understands what it means to wear the uniform. And when you talk about guys being ready already, I'm sure that's got to be a relief as a manager of not doubting how hungry those group of guys.
Speaker 2: Are, Yeah, absolutely, because I remember when I first started playing, guys used spring training to get into shape, and you remember those days. But this year we're only going to be in Arizona Camelback Ranch for four weeks and so then we're going to make our journey to Tokyo, So it is two weeks less than we're used to, so guys have to be prepared. There's Tyler Glasna there, he is, he looks, he looks fantastic. So guys are ready to go. So certainly starting pitchers, it's a quicker ramp up, so they got to be, you know, throwing their sides and being ready to go, and hitters have got to be ready to go. So across the board UH training staff. Brandon McDaniel, who's performance UH coach and he's going to take on a different role this year for US, has kind of had a thumb on these guys and they've done a great job.
Speaker 1: When you look at the roster, I mean, obviously you have a lot of guys that were with you last year to win the World Series Championship. How important is it to bring in new guys, new blood that haven't been able to like that guy there he is, Oh my god, Yeah, he's my guy. Come on with your guy, TV, he's your guy.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I thought it was that he.
Speaker 1: Wanted to be He wanted to be with you. That's what it was. And Barnes is jealous already, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, though, is that you made a great point though, Dave, is that keeping the culture, the talent in place right is crucial. And then when you kind of shake it up a little bit, you shake it up with guys that are talented, but also guys that are hungry. And so when you're talking about Tanner Scott, you're talking about Blake Snell, Michael CONFORDO, different guys like that, Kirby as that we added that are proven studs. But one thing that they're missing from their trophy case is a World Series championship. So bringing these guys in to continue to add that urgency and Tasker Hernandez was a guy last year for us, and so guys like that that continue to be additive to the culture and raise the level of talent. That's exactly what we've done this winter.
Speaker 1: Oh Tani's second year with the Dodgers, after what we saw, it felt like him and Taoscar just wouldn't let anybody believe you were going to lose, even in that first round.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, Dave, because and obviously, how dare I forget show Hey. But the thing is, though, is that we won in twenty there's a lot of guys that you know, justin Turner, different guys that we've had that you know, I wish could have been with us, and Cory Seger that could have been with us for this parade in twenty twenty four. But guys like Showhy and Tao really led the charge this year because they wanted what Mooki had, what Freddie had, you know, different guys with Austin Barnes as you mentioned had so that was a great infusion and we did the same thing this year.
Speaker 1: Have you had a chance to go back and watch any of the games from the postseason, whether it was the NLDS or the World Series? You know, I've gone back to watch a few of them recently, and I don't know, Dave, You've had a lot of great moments as a manager, But I felt like Game five and the eighth inning after Judge doubled Jash Chisholm walks you go out to the mound and you feel the heartbeat of Blake trining to me, that was one of the greatest moments you've as a manager.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: So, you know, going back a little bit, Dave, you know when Bruce dar pitched that game and I just felt he wasn't as sharp as he has been. When I made a decision to go to Blake right there, I knew I was going to be in bed with Blake essentially for the rest of the game, or go as long as he can go. And so that right there, the guy fought back, and I felt I owed it to them to be all in and manage the bullpen as in essentially a winner go home game, even though it was Game five, and I thought our guys earned that opportunity. And so as you mentioned that point with Blake, I just wanted to kind of call a time out, to get get a twenty second time out, slow things down a little bit, look him in the eye, feel his heart, make sure you know, see where he was at. And he assured me that he felt good, he had a lot more in the tank. And you know, it proved to be the right decision, And you know, this was one of the things that I'll always remember and one of the great things about you know, being a manager. And that's a moment Dave that that might I too, will never forget it.
Speaker 1: You know, You've had great moments in the World Series, Dave, going back to still in that base and scoring you know, two important runs for the Red Sox. I mean, when you talk about Dave Roberts in the World Series, it just seems like the slow heartbeat. Whether it was as a player or a manager, I mean, it just it's invaluable.
Speaker 2: It's invaluable, and I think that you know, one thing I talk a lot about to our players is having smart players. And when you have smart players, and I'm not talking about scoring you know on an act or an SAT smart players, I mean by having feel understanding the value of the little things about you know, rundowns or throwing to the right base or you know, taking a walk to potentially get the next hitter up. Understand the value of each out the scoreboard, the long season, what preparation means. And so when you have smart players like that, when the moment gets there, it never gets too big. And there was a moment last year where I said to the guys in spring training that each one of you guys has got to get to the point where you want to be the guy with the baseball in the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: In the bottom of the ninth inning, you got to want to be the guy with the balls hit to you, or you got to want to be the guy at bat.
Speaker 3: When the game's on the line.
Speaker 2: Because I think that every player will say that they want to be that guy, but I challenge each guy that behind closed doors, when you look in the mirror, you've got to find a way to really convince yourself that you are that guy. And last year I felt we had twenty six guys that really believed that they were the right guy in any spot they were put in.
Speaker 1: And he's the right guy to be the manager of the Dodgers for as long as he wants, and I have no doubt the Dodgers will make that happen. Dave, thanks a lot stopping by. You know, Mookie Betts had a great podcast with you. You know, I can't duplicate that I don't have that type of setup, but this was really awesome to share you with the fans, and I'm really happy for you that you know you are getting your due and rightfully so as a world champion manager, and there I can't imagine anybody else driving this ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you, Dave.
Speaker 2: And you know again, I just I love the city, I love the Dodgers, I love my players, and twenty twenty five is upon us now and let's go and have another great year.
Speaker 3: But thanks again, Dave.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 1: We'll see in Arizona. There is two times, two time World Series champion manager Dave Roberts. As a manager, I know he's a player world champion as well, but as a manager, I think that sets him apart from a lot of others, and also the highest winning percentage of any manager out there as well. I know they're including the negro leagues and stuff, but modern day baseball, how about that, Dave Roberts, I got the long rest for you. We could keep going all day long. We'll continue this in Asy. We're gonna take a time out now on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll see who else stops by. We're here until three o'clock. I crashed the party Dodger Talk from Dodger Fest right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Hey, we are live from Dodger Fest, having a great time, just chopping it up, talking shop Tanner Scott, Hay Song Kim and Evan Phillips. And here they are the dynamic duo, the Yin and the Yang teammates now in that Dodger bullpen. One's the righty super reliever, the other a lefty super reliever, and that is Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott. Guys, thanks a lot to day one of what's going to be a great ride in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thanks for having us, Dave, thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, that's all you guys got now the microphones are on. Yeah, come on, hey Tanner, you said you were with Hay Song Kim yesterday. Yeah, and he was here already.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's a jokester, already got you.
Speaker 4: He got me one nothing him one nothing.
Speaker 1: He tricked you. He he you thought he was brothers with High Song Kim yep, And he said yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then thirty minutes later they told me they were not even related.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's how kulable I am.
Speaker 1: What's this relationship going to be like? Now that your teammates between Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott.
Speaker 6: Well, we've been teammates before, so I think, you know, it's going to be it's a few years removed, you know, from all that, but it's probably gonna feel more surreal for our families to be connected again, you know, on a day to day basis.
Speaker 7: That's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: But you know, in the clubhouse, it's just going to be you know, kind of back to the roots of you know, breaking into the big leagues together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back to back, back to what twenty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eighteen eighteen to twenty one, so you know, well a lot of history, a lot of you know, ups and downs together throughout the big leagues, minor league level. So just to be on that journey together and then now to kind of meet again at this point, it's it's definitely special.
Speaker 1: How did you guys connect initially with or was it just nobody else wanted to play catch with? Evan and Tanner said, okay, I'll do it. How did this happen?
Speaker 7: He was he was a weird guy, you know, guy was a new guy.
Speaker 4: And no, it was it was easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hackey sack, hacky sack. He made us, He made his team hacky Sack shirts. We all rocked him before before stretching everything, and then stretch happened, and I don't know, the rest has been his.
Speaker 6: We we had been you know, playing against each other too, you know, going up through the minor leagues. The Orioles and Braves kind of had you know, parallel teams, you know, in similar leagues and all that. So I had played against him and heard his name a lot, and you know, being an Orioles fan, I was, you know, I had like a side where I you know, on what was going on with them too. So when I got traded over there, I was obviously familiar with you know, their team, and you know, being you know, similar age and relievers and all this trying to get our footing in the big leagues, it was just easy for us to connect. And yeah, Hackey Sack was a We did a lot of that together. We had a big group of guys in the bullpen. That's kind of like how we you know, you know, just hung out for a few minutes before we started playing catch that day.
Speaker 1: Any chance the Hackey Sack comes to the Dodgers way, it's been suit.
Speaker 3: Way too long.
Speaker 5: I don't know our dads and it's like, yeah, do we still have that skill?
Speaker 6: I don't know if I'm will waste any extra energy on playing hockey sack.
Speaker 4: When I got to.
Speaker 7: Chick Toddler and.
Speaker 1: Both dads sons named bow but spelled differently and bow that's right. Haven't made that very clear? When you sign with the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Bow and Bow.
Speaker 6: Hey, it makes it a little bit easier to separate it, you know, I just uh be you and b Oh yeah, but it's a I can't wait to have those guys around. They're both gonna just be I'm sure all the play dates and you know, road trips together, it's be a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely. Our wife have been talking even more now, so it's like, hey, let's we're gonna do this.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're gonna do this. Hey, when do you get out the spring? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 6: Matter of fact, you I should probably just move into the house that you got ras buy a nice big house.
Speaker 7: Let's just you know, we'll pop in right beside you. How about that? You can see the death stair.
Speaker 6: Tanner's giving me right now, yeah, giving it.
Speaker 5: It's just my eyebrows, those resting ones Tanner.
Speaker 1: Evan doesn't like talking about himself. So what's the evolution of Evan Phillips been like from when you were teammates? To see how accomplished he is now in the success he's had and belief in himself.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, he's always had. He's always had amazing stuff, and I mean everyone knows that. And then now to see him doing what he's doing, it's it's awesome from outside looking in. Now I get to be a part of part of the team with him and get to experience it, and hopefully we get to back be back throwing together. But I don't know, Blake. Maybe I'm gonna have to talk to Tran about it. Oh yeah, hopefully hopefully lets me have my throwing partner back.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do that.
Speaker 6: Talking to Blake, I mean definitely him, he knows him. Yeah, yeah, not me. We'll lay it out there now. I think Tanner and I are gonna be throwing partners for as long as possible.
Speaker 8: For sure.
Speaker 6: We've got that that history. You know, there's some some good chemistry and the catch play. You know that that kind of stuff matters.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, for sure, I kind of picture you guys being catch partners, not this past offseason, but the way having described it a couple of years back. Now he moved away from me, He's not over.
Speaker 7: Clearly, I'm not over.
Speaker 4: I let him know. I let him know every time.
Speaker 5: I'm like, remember when we used to live like ten minutes away, like a flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, when he became a Dodger Tanner, I kind of picture you, like, you know, throwing the ball and him throwing it back to him. You picking his brain about what the Dodgers do so well, And maybe that's where you know the seed was planted that one day you wanted to be teammates with him and Dodger Blue. Do I have that vision? Am I picturing that correctly?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean he would.
Speaker 5: He would say some things that's really nice about really nice about the organization, and would stay in the back of my mind. And then I think I think his wife really sold my wife because she was comfaning her on on what it's like to live in La.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think I think initially it was just so far away, you know, from that being a possibility of being teammates again that you know, I initially it was just hey, like, what did the Dodgers tell you that made it work so well? You know, and we would just talk about that kind of stuff, and you know, in the background, I was always telling the Dodgers like, hey, you know, Tanner Scott's another guy that could really benefit from being a Dodger, you know, just and really taking another step. So you know, he's already done that in his own way in the past few years and different organizations, so to you know, try to take the next step here with with the Dodgers and ultimately lead the championships. I think, like, you know, that kind of growth is going to be you know, the next step for for Tanner and and you know, hopefully we can you know what Mike, Mike Mookie said, and you get more rings on these hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love that Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott are joining us. You know, at his press conference, he got uncomfortable. First time Tanner Scott's ever got comfortable. Yeah, I called you the Otani stopper.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, you do not like that. That can't be. That can't be. We just met in the hallway and we're good.
Speaker 1: Was that awkward?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean he's a special human being. I mean what he what he does.
Speaker 1: That's why it's impressive that you're the Otani stopper. No, he's not smiling because he doesn't have to face Tanner Scott anymore.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, we're teammates, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I know it's gonna be great. You got the two guys that are amazing players in their own right being on the same team together. Now, Tanner, I hope you don't mind. I'm gonna ask Evan about how his arm is feeling after he was not on the World Series roster.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I was allowed to ask. That wasn't a part of it.
Speaker 5: We were talking about it on the ride end because we wrote in together actually too. I was like, what was it like being in that World Series? That was pretty nice, but it wasn't part of it. I'm like, dude, you gotta ring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to.
Speaker 1: It was a big part of it all season long.
Speaker 4: That's that's all that matters.
Speaker 6: So many mixed feelings about, you know, not being able to play in the World Series, right, and they think about you know, I'd have conversations with you know, guys in the clubhouse, like Miguel Rojas. You ten year career, first time in the World Series, right, it doesn't just happen. So to miss out on that was really hard to deal with. But uh, you know, physically, I just wasn't in a position to do it. I couldn't push through it. Thankfully, I'm recovered at this point. I'm just not quite built up to where I need to be, you know, where I would normally be at this point in the offseason. So well, you know, I'm heading the Phoenix here soon, so we'll we'll get out there, they'll get eyes on me and kind of see how the progression builds from here. But I'm coming into spring training healthy, you know, and now it's just a matter of putting the building blocks together to get ready for Opening Day, or you know, if it's a little bit beyond that, then we'll we'll take those steps.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: Well, just think about it this way, Evan. I mean, you were such a big part of not only the twenty twenty four Dodgers, but ever since you've emerged, since twenty twenty one, I mean, nobody even blinks an eye and thinks about, well, you know, he didn't pitch in the World Series. Evan Phillips is the anchor. When you talk about the Dodger bullpen, you say Phillips trying in Tanner Scott, Alex Sabasia. You are a dog and Tanner Scott now is going to be part of that dog pound.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a great fit. I mean, initial conversations I had with you know, you know all the got the staff, you know, Mark pryor Dave Roberts, that were just asking, hey, what's he like? And I always said each time, he's just a perfect fit for our our culture down there in the bullpen that you know, Josh Bart is trying to instill in all of us. And you know, I certainly take a lot of pride and being you know someone of the guys can you know, I want to.
Speaker 7: Say look up to in that way.
Speaker 6: But I think when you when you establish a good kind of culture that you know, just blends well through each guy and everyone kind of just feeds off of each other. It's it's a really healthy environment down there. And I think you really saw that come to fruition and the we're in the postseason last year with you know, the bullpen games and how we managed that without you know, any sort of you know, ego or pride getting in the way, just doing whatever it took to get the job done, and you know, ultimately it led to a championship ring. So I would love to try to replicate that again the season.
Speaker 1: It'd be sweet to see three or four champagne celebrations with Tanner, Scott and Evan Phillips. You need a ring, Yeah, it'd be great to get one with Evan again, Right, that would be sweet.
Speaker 4: That would be great. Yeah, I definitely need one. I mean, I'm kind of jealous that I wasn't a part.
Speaker 5: Of it, but I got to see it, see it come together this offseason and be a part of this team and finally where this Dodger Blue.
Speaker 1: Love it Tanner Evan. I feel like I'll be saying that all season long. Tanner, Heaven, you've.
Speaker 6: Got a limit. We're gonna talk to one. You got like a three three person limit. Okay, you can only do this three more times this year?
Speaker 1: When I talk to right here now, he's saying, too, So can I talk to Evan? Do I have to talk to Tanner? It would be awkward if I said, Hey.
Speaker 4: No, either way, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it counts us one. Yeah, all right. I'm glad we set the ground rolls early. I'll keep my hand you, Scott. I'm not scared from ten feet away. Thanks guys, thanks for stopping by and looking forward to a great year. And Evan look forward to you ramping up and not asking you about it every day I get. I'll give you like at least ten days before I ask you about it. There's a good feeling.
Speaker 7: There, it is, I feel great. Let's put that out there.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 1: That's one, and then that's one ten days, so nine, I only got nine more.
Speaker 4: I thought it was three.
Speaker 1: No, if I it, I'll give him ten days before I ask how his arms feeling.
Speaker 4: But then that's one one time.
Speaker 1: So it's this year. My gosh, it's like a Chuck E Cheese punch card over here. All right, guys, thanks a lot for stopping by, and we'll see you in Arizona. Tanner, Scott, you'll warm up to the vass a charm. Don't worry. I will some days more than others. Evan can explain, explain it, explain.
Speaker 4: We're just waiting for you to explain.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you later.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, somebody else will show up. I'm sure who's next. Snail Zilla wants in bad, but I keep on giving him the heisman.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Let me checking my official rundown right here. Yes, snail Zilla wants in twelve.
Speaker 4: Thirty nice alright, Dave?
Speaker 1: All right, guys, thanks a lot for stopping by Tanner Scott, Evan Phillips, part of the vaunted Dodger Bullpen. In twenty twenty five, We're gonna take a time out, and yes, what you've been waiting for since he signed, Blake Snell David Vass. The show comes up next on m five to seventy l a. Sports Are they already? Oh my gosh, jealousy. You know that voice. He's gonna stay the rest of the show. Everybody else go home. David Vassy live at Dodger Fest at Dodger Talk. And here he is, the two time, two time Cy Young Award winner no hitter last year, the biggest sign for the Dodgers this offseason, wearing that number seven. He's got a tight haircut. And here he is the one and only Blake Snell aka snell Zilla, aka my number one guy on this team.
Speaker 8: No, no, okay.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, aka daddy, whoa on the time road. Hey, here comes your brother from another mother A song?
Speaker 3: Right there? My dog?
Speaker 1: No Zilla's number one. Oh secret handshake already, even with the interpreter.
Speaker 4: You got one?
Speaker 8: My boys?
Speaker 1: Where are you taking them? Korea town tonight? Where are you taking them for dinner? Korean barbecue tonight? He loves it. Yeah, yeah, he says, yes.
Speaker 8: Song too.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I song to guys.
Speaker 8: He gonna be there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I love it. That's your guy.
Speaker 8: Are they done? Oh?
Speaker 1: Here come here, hey song put this on. Talk to Blake Snell. Yes, calm come, we're live on radio. He knows what that means. That's crazy and Vivo and Vivo all radio with Blake Snell. Oh, he's nervous. He doesn't. He doesn't like you already. See I gotta heat. Why does he like you?
Speaker 8: Stuff for me when I'm done with this, and then I'm gonna meet you in the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna get ain't playing?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we got a plan.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had the skittles. Snail Zilla's coming in there after this.
Speaker 8: I don't I don't like skittles. I like Eminem's with peanuts.
Speaker 1: I love Eminem's with peanuts too. You know what I had yesterday? You would love Life Saver gummies?
Speaker 8: Whoa?
Speaker 1: I want to save them for my kids, but I ate them in the car.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, that's what I did.
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: How does it feel you're wearing this jersey?
Speaker 3: People?
Speaker 1: Your teammates?
Speaker 8: Now you got Kobe's on? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like these they were available? Okay, hardy get them. Take what it's available. I asked o Tany for a promo code for New Balance. He said, no, No, you gotta work harder.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: What are you? You're a Nike guy, right, Yeah, you're sponsored by Nike. You're gonna have like air Jordan cleats? Is that what you wear?
Speaker 8: They don't want me to wear Jordan's Nike Nike only. Yeah, I got a two times Young Winner. Can't get on team Jordan?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Hey, I'm gonna work on that. Work on it, hey, Kelly Jansen's a jump man. Mookie's a jump man. They don't have tu Cy youngs. Mookie's gotta yeah, bok got a couple of words, but two times.
Speaker 8: Come on, yeah, they don't.
Speaker 1: That meant a lot to Kenley when he became a jump man. Would that mean a lot to you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I like Nike. Okay, I'm good, But all right, they're in the same fan.
Speaker 1: We don't want to burn the family. Yeah, you know the bridge, right, like I like? Uh, I like both. Hey, I heard you are at work in Arizona. You've been working with the Dodgers. I mean it's not funny games for snail Zilla around this time.
Speaker 8: No, I got a lot, you know, a lot to prove and I gotta I gotta get ready. I gotta learn the spring we spring train is gonna be like with a new team, learn the coaches, players, kind of figure out where I'm gonna fit in, where I want, what I want to do every morning to get ready to play. So yeah, I mean getting down there early is probably what's best for me to to to be ready to be the best to me once once the season starts.
Speaker 1: You've been on now four teams in your career. Yeah, You've always wanted a home, always wanted a home. It feels like you found a home. How much does that make it more comfortable to know this isn't just a one year thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's big. I finally get it, Like buy homes. Yeah, I get to really invest into not only myself, but the players that are coming up with the Rays. The thing that they did best is the older players really did help the younger players a lot, and I was spoiled. I had so many veterans around me to really help grow me as a man a player, and that's kind of what I'm looking forward to do as well, the best that I can. But I've already been meeting with a couple of guys. Bobby's kind of been Bobby Ice, that's what you call him. Yeah, Yeah, that's Bobby Miller here. Reminds me a lot of just me when I was younger, and I feel there's a lot I can do to help him kind of mature into his career and just start believing in his ability more so. That's a guy I'll be around a lot. He might know that he might not, but that's awesome. I see a lot of similarities there, So definitely looking forward to that. But for my playing career, Kershaw is kind of the guy. I can't wait to meet him be around him. The thing going out on Instagram, my search feed everywhere is one hundred ninety nine starts of or one hundred ninety three starts of an era under a two and seven innings average, Like that's insane. I want to find a way to do that, to be as good as he was. I think I'm just getting into my prime. I think I got a lot left, so I really want to see how good I can really be and invest everything I can into these next five years. But I think I really have like eight years left. You do until I think I might not be the same guy, and then when that's over with, I'll go be a dad and I'll be happy with that. But once I'm not as good as I believe I should be and making a career out that I want, I'll be good to walk away.
Speaker 1: We always reinvent ourselves. We always have to evolve. I've heard athletes talk about training differently once they hit their thirties, but it feels like even last year you started to evolve as a pitcher to stay in games deeper and being allowed number one, be allowed to stay in games later.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a comfort with Bob Melvin, and I text to him a bunch, especially before the trade or before I signed, and then after I signed. But he I really love Bob Melvin. He he really would would talk to me all the time about what he expects, what I expect, how to get there. Uh, he would leave me out in the game. He always trusted me, and it made it so much fun to pitch, you know, for him and that team. I feel san Diego san fran but he's really an amazing manager. So that was something that that I really love. Was just a comfort he would bring me pitching knowing that, you know, this is my game as long as as I want to be out there and can help the team, and he has my back the whole way through.
Speaker 1: I love what you said at your press conference when you said I'm going to invest in people on this team, I just need them to invest in me as well. I feel like that's what every player strives forwards. If you want to be part of it, I'll invest everything in you, but you've got to invest in me as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and for me, for me, that's everything. It's tough to be on a team and then say like, hey, I'm gonna make all these players better, but I'm only here for one year. Yeah, it's like someone to make them all better to then you're not gonna want to sign me Like that's where the business part comes in. You don't like it, but it's it's the reality, and you know, you got to look at it that way too, to where now you know this team invested in me, I can invest in there and them their players, and it's gonna mean that much more. You know, every game you win is gonna matter. Every everything you do matters. And I love that feeling so much much more, having my own home, being able to say, you know what, like I can spend the whole off season in LA that's important to me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to tell the stories that people don't know. I think they're starting to see this side of Blake Snell. But another side of Blake Snell is the fact that you've pitched the majority of your career without a lot of run support. You got the offense, including that guy, a great Italian American Michael Confordo behind you that is going to put up some runs.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's gonna be nice.
Speaker 1: Where he's from Jersey?
Speaker 8: No, no, come on.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me he's from Seattle too. Oh no, he's so well adjusted. How is he from Seattle? And he's got a ten he's got a take Arizona by the way, you got to get in the sun a little bit more. You're looking Seattle, Pale White Hide the Ball, The Ball, two of America's most wanted Me and Snell about the Clown twenty twenty five. Thank you for staying.
Speaker 8: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Hey, this show is gonna go on. You want to stay the rest of the show, all right, Snell Zella, Maybe get down in the sun. You know before we see in spring training. You've been in Arizona for two weeks. Yeah, I mean I was outside. Man, dial down to fifty. Maybe put on only twenty sunscreen and oh man, my guy, Blake Snell, Snell Zilla. We're gonna have fun all year long. But he means business and you are going to fall in love with him when he's throwing shut He's out every other fifth or sixth day for the Dodgers. We're gonna take a time out and a great Italian stallion, Michael Conforto is going to join us next on Dodger Talk right here on five seventy LA Sports. Thanks to Blake Snell for joining us. Thanks to Evan Phillips and Tanner Scott. They're symbiotic. You will see them together never apart all season long. And thanks to Dave Roberts for starting our show. We're with you until three o'clock live from Dodgers Stadium. And I'm really excited to be join by a player I wanted the Dodgers to sign three years ago. But he is finally here and Dodger blue, wearing number twenty three. He's gonna play left field for the Dodgers. A well established Major leaguer and a proud Italian American, the one and only Michael CONFORDO. Welcome the Dodger Fest. I'm sure this is a very unique experience that you haven't found in other places.
Speaker 9: You've been absolutely I'm just trying to get in this place. Yeah, was Uh was was madness. You know, I tried three different gates and then you know, as soon as I said I was a player, they just waved me all the way through. So, you know, I was feeling the love with the uh, with the parking attendance and and uh, you know, some of the fans recognized me on the way in as well.
Speaker 7: So it feels good, especially.
Speaker 9: With all this talent we have here on this team, to be recognized by you know, some just baseball fans man. I mean, you know, I have been around for a while, but you know, not not for not for along on this side of the of the country.
Speaker 7: So it's good to be It's good to be here.
Speaker 9: I've been getting my butt kicked by the Dodgers for too long, so I'm excited to be on this on this side.
Speaker 1: Obviously, teams have to step up financially for you to want to sign there. But how much have you heard about the culture of the Dodgers that really excited you to sign here.
Speaker 7: I've heard a lot.
Speaker 9: I mean I've you know, there's there's what you see, you know, the product on the field that's easy to see from the from the fan base and just from you know, everybody watches the Dodgers. But there's things you hear from from guys who have played for the Dodgers, a bunch of guys that I've played with, just saying that it's a first class organization. There's nothing that you don't get that you need. On the player's side, the family side, you know, with my wife, my my young son, you know, they do everything you need to make sure that you're just focused on playing baseball, and and you don't have to worry about their you know, needs being being taken care of. And and then obviously, you know, I want to play with guys like show Hey, Mookie, Freddie will Smith, Chris Taylor, guys that I've played against for so long. And like I said before, I mean, you know, there's there's been a lot of sad nights on the visiting side, you know, but it's always an experience to come here to Dodger Stadium as a visiting player. You feel that energy in the ballpark when you drive up to the stadium. It's like you know you're coming to the coliseum or something. It's just so historic, the speakers in center field. I mean, there's just so many reasons to want to come play here. And let alone coming off a World Series championship.
Speaker 7: I mean, to be.
Speaker 9: Able to try to be a part of running it back for back to back championships is is going to be really cool.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers have been so good at home over the course of the time that you've been playing against them. The way you said it, a lot of sad nights here. Isn't the same feeling going into Dodger Stadium as it maybe going to Finway or Wrigley Field or even Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's similar.
Speaker 9: There's really nothing like coming to Dodger Stadium, though, I mean just the way that it's all set up, the massive parking lot, you know, the way that the ballpark is set you know, you're kind of sunking down. The stadium is just up around, you know, on top of you. It's one of the bigger stadiums as far as capacity to so, if not the biggest, I don't know if it's the biggest or not, but it is. I just remember in twenty fifteen, playing as a rookie here in the playoffs, I lost a ball in the lights actually, and it was Justin Turner. He hit a game tying double and when I hit the ground, I dove for it, couldn't see it. When I hit the ground, the ground was shaking because it was a it was a game time, playoff hit, and I just wanted to dig a hole and wow, get away. But we ended up actually winning that game.
Speaker 1: So and the series, we know Daniel Murphy, we know confordo Y. Yeah that I actually feel like that was one of the best pitch games Kershaw ever pitched in the playoffs to force a Game five at City Field that night.
Speaker 9: I was not in the lineup for that one as a rookie left hander. Yeah, I don't you know, when Kershaw's on like that, it doesn't matter righty, lefty. You know he's getting everybody out. But but yeah, that was that was a really cool experience for me as a young young player.
Speaker 1: Michael Confordo is our guest at Dodger Fast. You always hear pictures like even Blake's now was saying he wants to help out the young pitchers on the staff. What's the dynamic between hitters? Obviously you've seen a lot, you faced a lot of guys. Are you looking forward to trying to pick the brains of Freddie Freeman, maximun See And what's the dynamic between hitters? Because you always hear pitchers talk about that, but you don't hear hitters talk about that as much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean definitely.
Speaker 9: I mean I when I was a young player, I was, you know, talking to guys like Jay brew Rus, Curtis Granderson, Murdy. So like I I would like to be that guy for for some young guys. I mean I've I've been in Arizona working out with with outman.
Speaker 7: Love the kid.
Speaker 9: He's he's awesome. We have some like we have some connections baseball wise. He grew up in in nor Call and I went to Oregon State. A lot of NorCal guys state. Yeah, but yeah, I mean, you know, I'm I'm looking forward to I mean, I'm still looking to learn stuff from Freddie. You know, I love watching him hit. I played against him in the same division for for a long time, see him at first base all the time, and so now to be in the same lineup as him, you know, I'm definitely gonna pick his brain. I'd love to be a guy that you know is easy for the for the young guys to come and and and ask questions too. I've been in their shoes, you know. I've been the first rounder. I've been the the prospect come up and have a good start to my career, and then I've had some struggles along the way. So I've been in a lot of different different situations that I think I have some some insight for.
Speaker 1: When you would get to first base, Was it awkward when Freddy would be so talkative and friendly when you got there?
Speaker 9: When I was when I was a young guy, Yeah, when I was just.
Speaker 7: My head spinning at first base.
Speaker 9: I don't even know what happened at the plate, and Freddie's just you know, talking, you know, chatting me up. But over the years, of course, you know, I get to know him a little bit more, and he's just got a great sense of humor. And you know, sometimes he'd be sitting there, like you know the picture, slow to the plate, and he's looking at me. He's like, Michael, what are you still doing here?
Speaker 7: Why are you not stealing that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I'm trying to figure out if he's trying to get me to steal so they can stealing out, or if I really should be on second base. You know, he's like playing mind games with me. But you know, it's it's all. It's always been a pleasure to watch him play. And you know, again, I'm just I'm just excited to be on the same team.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: You made a really good World championship team that much better with you in the lineup, and so many great left hand handed hitters to compliment so many great right handed hitters. It doesn't feel like there's any place one through nine that a pitcher's going to be able to exhale.
Speaker 9: It doesn't man. I mean the the whole roster seems air tight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I know, the pitching staff, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 9: I mean, just my buddies, who aren't you know, affiliated with the team. I'm still getting to know all the guys, but you know, they're they're texting me about rookie signing. Then we get Tanner Scott, then we get Kurbyer. You know, it's like all right, the pitching set, you know.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna get Kershaw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got Kershaw coming back.
Speaker 9: I mean, we have we have guys still coming and it's just, uh, it's just a really cool, really really cool, uh.
Speaker 7: Team to be a part of. There's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Awesome. That heartbeat, that slow heartbeat. The man that understands there's not a linear path to any finish line. Michael CONFORDO in a Dodger blue jersey left field is gonna give him a lot of love as they are already right now. Thanks a lot for us stopping by and soak it all in and we'll see you out in Arizona.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it, man, I can't wait. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: That's my one fan. Whatever you hear at you see that right there, this one fan right there. All right, We're gonna continue the hour two right here on AM five seventy LA Sports, Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Fest. We're rolling on until three o'clock, and we have the grand finale of show, Hey Otani joining us at two forty five as well. You heard from Snell, you heard from Conforto, you heard from Dave Roberts, You're gonna hear from Freddie and Mookie. They're all stopping by as we roll to three o'clock on this beautiful Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles. Right here on AM five seventy LA Sports, your home of the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers