Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise Idahol. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a common email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net. Follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Before we get started, I do want to remind you of the programs brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners, and support the show on a one basis at support dot Great Attractives dot net. Become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. Now it's time for today's episode of Richard Diamond. The original air date is February sixteenth, nineteen fifty one, and this one is The Gray Man.
Speaker 2: And the Makers of Camel Cigarettes present Dick Powell as Richard Diamond Private Detective. Here transcribed is Richard Diamond Private Detective, starring Dick Powell.
Speaker 3: It was a cold afternoon in New York. There was six inches of snow in the streets and twice that much on the fire escape outside my window. I looked down at Broadway and watched the miserable pedestrians edging their way over the slippery ice covered sidewalks and thought about burning some of my furniture. It was just to day for anything unpleasant, and when the door to my office opened, I turned around to look at one of the most unpleasant sights I'd ever been faced with. Standing in the door was something that looked human, and I used the term human only because I stuck around long enough to find out for sure. He was about six feet and well dressed in a dark gray overcoat, but his face raised goosebumps from my argiles to my haircut. It was as dark gray as his overcoat, his whole face, his eyes, his lips, and when he spoke, even his tongue.
Speaker 4: Mister diamond.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want you to find the man, and I want you to find him in the next five hours.
Speaker 3: He didn't sit on He just stood there facing me like a bad dream. I pushed the chair back and got up, as though I had to be standing to protect myself from what was coming.
Speaker 6: The man.
Speaker 4: I want you to find.
Speaker 3: His name Carnes.
Speaker 4: He's a science teacher at State College.
Speaker 3: Is he missing?
Speaker 4: Would I want him located?
Speaker 3: If he wasn't would I have asked you if I'd known the answer to that?
Speaker 4: How much is your fee, mister diamond?
Speaker 3: When I know what I'm getting into one hundred a day in expenses.
Speaker 5: Five hundred, find Lewis Kahans in five hours, and you get another five hundred.
Speaker 4: Does it matter if you know what you're getting into.
Speaker 3: I never go waiting if there's quicksand around, not even for a thousand dollars. I never like to count money when I'm suffocating.
Speaker 5: You only have to find Lewis Khans. I guarantee you live through.
Speaker 3: It, and after I find him, you.
Speaker 4: Can spend your thousand and forget about it.
Speaker 3: Why do you want him found?
Speaker 4: I owe him a debt, I want to pay him.
Speaker 3: And why do I have to find him in the next five hours?
Speaker 4: Because that's how long I've got to live.
Speaker 3: Interesting situation, you bet, And that thousand made it about as interesting as situations I'd ever gotten into. I couldn't take my eyes off of him standing there grays an early morning ghost. I wanted to ask him about his color. But in a business like mine, if a client comes in writing a purple lama, you greet him like everybody rides purple lamas and keep your mouth shut. He handed me the five hundred dollars in a card with his business address on it, Roger Vegas, sixty four West one and tenth Studio of Modern Photography. He backed up two steps, smiled a slow, dead smile, turned and walked out of the office like he was going to look at his own gray. I sat back down and thought about it for a while, and the little voice in the back of my head kept whispering.
Speaker 7: Don't do it, Diamond, don't do it, Diamond, don't do it, Diamond.
Speaker 3: Oh, shut up, you'll be sorry. What about the thousand dollars?
Speaker 7: It'll buy a nice sure wall peasant.
Speaker 5: Whoa, if the ain't Richard Diamond, the over stuffed flat foot.
Speaker 3: Well, if it ain't Sergeant Odors, the over stuffed flathead.
Speaker 5: Oh someday you'll be sorry.
Speaker 3: Well everybody is sooner or later. Think about your poor mother must have gone through that ain't funny. I bet your father didn't think so either.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 6: Oh, Rick still picking on him?
Speaker 3: Uh, he'll be picked on until somebody plucks off that other head.
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 3: Walda wants some information? If I can history on a fellow named Roger Vegas. Here's his kind, also, mister Lewis Kahn's science professor at State College.
Speaker 6: I'll try. What's it all about?
Speaker 3: Roger Vegas wants me to fine this Lewis Cohnes wants to pay back a debt.
Speaker 6: What's unusual about that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh, but you should see Roger Vegas. He'd scare you right into a dozen more ulcers.
Speaker 6: I doubt it, no room for anymore.
Speaker 3: The ones you've got would hide. You should see this guy wall his face, His hands are duc gray.
Speaker 6: What about the rest of them?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you know enough? I got to ask him to take his clothes off.
Speaker 6: Very funny.
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: He's gray?
Speaker 3: That's just what he is. Even his eyes, not just the pupil, but the whole eye, the whole eye up. If he raised his collar, he could stick out his tongue, put a tie pin on it, and wear it with a dark blue suit. His tongue too, give it, his fingernails, his gums.
Speaker 6: I suppose his hair is plaid.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, but if you ever run into this guy in a die alley gets set the faint.
Speaker 6: Well, see what I can find out about him.
Speaker 3: I've got to have the information pretty fast. I only got four and a half hours to find those comes. I'll come because Roger Vegas has only got that long to live. Rick, That's what he told me.
Speaker 7: A guy with a gray face comes into your office, wants you to find another guy and tells you you gotta find him in the next four and a half hours because.
Speaker 6: He's gonna die.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna die?
Speaker 6: The guy with the gray face.
Speaker 3: You didn't say that. You said, got to find the guy in the next four and a half hours because he's going to die.
Speaker 6: Oh you know what I meant.
Speaker 3: No, No, they just gave me five hours.
Speaker 6: You said four and a half.
Speaker 3: That was a half an hour ago. Oh well, I'm wasting my time.
Speaker 6: I've got to find him, the man with the gray face.
Speaker 3: No, the science professor. While you're getting pretty confused, I'll see you later, huh. I left the fifth Precinct, grabbed a cab, and twenty minutes later I was walking across the campus of State College. Being Saturday, the big school was quiet and impressive as it stretched out over a dozen acres of snow covered grounds. I located the administration building and found one lonely student working in the main office. I am mm hmmm, yes, oh, good afternoon.
Speaker 1: That might be.
Speaker 3: Can I do something for you? Well, yes, I'm looking for professors.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: He's in the science department, isn't he.
Speaker 9: Professor hasn't been on campus since last Thursday. Faculty's been rather worried.
Speaker 3: You don't know where I could find him?
Speaker 9: No, but I'm through here in half an hour. I could help you.
Speaker 3: Look, I bet you could. You know where the professor lives sun file. Well, why don't you be a good little freshman a junior and get me his address from that file?
Speaker 9: Because it's more fun not being a good little junior, and the college has certain rules.
Speaker 3: We'll then be a bad little junior and break the rules.
Speaker 9: I'm off in half an hour, might.
Speaker 3: Be able to Then I've got to find a science professor there. Until I do, I'm afraid I'll have to pass the extension course in biology. And if you find the professor, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: I'm in here every afternoon.
Speaker 3: College hasn't changed a bit since my days. Just jumped into second gear. The cute little junior walked her sweater and saddle shoes over to a long and came back with Professor Kahn's home addess. I thanked her, promised she could wear my gold badge if she passed lunch hour, and took my cab back to town. At the professor's house, I met his sister, an elderly lady named Drusilla, who reminded me of my math teacher at p s fourteen.
Speaker 9: I haven't seen my brother since Friday morning, mister Diamond.
Speaker 3: And you have no idea where I can find him.
Speaker 9: No, why do you want to find him?
Speaker 3: Well, I I'm a private detective, miss Cannes. I was hired by a man named Vegas. Oh you know him, I.
Speaker 9: Most certainly do. Did he hire you to find my brother?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 9: He's not a good man, mister Diamond. I believe he's the reason my brother disappeared.
Speaker 3: Maybe you better tell me about him.
Speaker 9: My brother married a girl many years younger than himself, and unfortunately it was not a good marriage. Did this Vegas person mention my brother's wife.
Speaker 3: No, he just told me he wanted to find the professor in order to pay him a debt. A debt, that's what he said.
Speaker 9: Watch out for that man, mister Dammond. He broke up my brother's marriage.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe i'd better talk to your brother's wife.
Speaker 9: That would be impossible. My brother's wife killed herself.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's too bad.
Speaker 9: My brother and I believe she killed herself because of that man bagers. My brother found out they were seeing each other. When he begged to stop, she said that it was impossible and refused to give a reason. A week later, she killed herself.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen mister veggas?
Speaker 10: No wife?
Speaker 9: Not why?
Speaker 3: I was just wondering why any woman would go for a man like him, unless she like ghosts. I left Drusilla cons and looked at my watch. It was three o'clock and I had only two hours left to find the professor earned my thousand dollars. On the way to the nearest phone booth. I thought about the case and wondered if the thousand dollars would be worth in the long run. I watched part of my last five bucks dropping the phone and decided.
Speaker 8: It was Levinson homicide.
Speaker 3: Diamond wal I want to know about suicide.
Speaker 8: Otis won't do it?
Speaker 3: Uh, Professor Kahn's wife.
Speaker 8: I thought, so.
Speaker 7: I checked for you on Vegas and the professor. The Professor's wife jumped off a building five days ago.
Speaker 3: What did you find out about Vegas and the professor?
Speaker 8: Not much?
Speaker 7: At the inquest, the professor accused Vegas of breaking up his home and driving his wife to suicide. He the man's got a record. Vegas is a professional photographer, and the professor has been teaching at state College for the past eleven years. I talked with some of the men at the inquest, and they remembered Vegas. They all say his skin looked pretty healthy.
Speaker 8: At the time.
Speaker 3: Do me a favor, Walt, check with the coroner and find out what would turn a man's skin that color?
Speaker 8: Sure can he leads on the professor.
Speaker 3: Yet, no nobody got a hunt. I just left his sisters and she doesn't seem at all worried about her brother's disappearance. So so if she isn't worried, there's a good chance she knows he's all right.
Speaker 8: And if she knows he's all right, she might know where he is.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, wonder they made you a lieutenant Walls. You keep thinking like that and someday you might even take over for size and notice by I left the phone booth and walked back toward Rusilla Kahin's house. I staked myself out across the street in the corner gas station and warned my blue little ears inside while I waited for the good Drusilla to contact her brother. I was just guessing, but it worked. Ten minutes later, Drusilla, dressed in a heavy fur coat that looked like it should be out on the river building a dam, walked out of her house and hailed a cab. I hailed one too, and followed. Fifteen minutes later, I was back on the campus of State College. I watched her get out, walk around back of one of the buildings, knock on a door. She waited until someone opened it, and then she disappeared inside. I tried the door, but it was locked again, so I toured the building. The front door was locked too. I set to work trying to pick the lock. I broke a boy scout knife, half a dozen fingernails, and several bobby pins that, for some strange reason, had found their way into my coat pocket. So I did the next best thing. I went back to the door that Drusilla had entered earlier and waited. Five frozen minutes later, the door opened and I stood there facing Drusilla, while her look melted every icicle within ten feet. Standing directly behind her was a small man, his breath showing clearly against the cold air coming in short gaps.
Speaker 9: Drusilla, it's all right, Louis.
Speaker 6: What do you want?
Speaker 9: Mister Hammond?
Speaker 3: Nothing now, Miss Cohnes, I've found it is that the man Drusilla.
Speaker 9: Yes, is a detective. Vegas hired him.
Speaker 11: It's all right, Drisilla. If Vegas wants to find me, I'm tired of hiding. Tell Vegas that I'll be waiting here.
Speaker 9: Young man Lewis you know what he'll do.
Speaker 11: It's all right. Vegas knows he's only got a few hours left.
Speaker 3: Has that strange color of his skin got something to do with him? Yes? Have you seen him since the inquest? Professor? No, that's funny. How did you know about his skin and that he only has a few hours left to live?
Speaker 2: And now back to Richard Diamond Private Detective starring Dick Powell.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd found the professor and the thousand dollars was close to being mine. All I had to do was notify Vegas and collect. Even the professor guaranteed to help by staying and waiting for Vegas, but something was wrong. Standing there in the snow, looking at the timid professor, something began to smell the high heaven. I turned and walked away. Even if the professor was going to run, what was I supposed to do? Carry him piggyback until I located my dying client. The thousand was important, but there was a lot more that had to be solved. In a hurry, I went back to town and over to the photography shop run by Roger Vegas. Just something, what's the matter?
Speaker 10: Huh? Oh?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 10: Nothing? Can I do something for him?
Speaker 3: I'm looking for Roger Vegas.
Speaker 10: Oh, he ain't in, and I see you simplas.
Speaker 3: You might have. I move around. Where can I find Vegas? He ain't here, I know he ain't. Where can I find him?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: I guess that would be somewhere in New York.
Speaker 10: Huh Hi, I supposed to give out the dress? Who wants him?
Speaker 3: I do? And I ain't supposed to give out the name?
Speaker 10: You're pretty shop jop guy.
Speaker 3: Dound to call Richard Diamond. Rich Richard Diamond. My family thought it up. Okay, you know me now?
Speaker 10: No, No, I was mistaken.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm surprised. I sent you to sing sing ten years ago.
Speaker 6: The professor's hiding in the school.
Speaker 3: That's right, Walt, in the basement of the science building. I just left Roger Vegas's photography shop. And guess who was working there?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 3: George Young?
Speaker 6: Well Young, Well, the guy you sent up on that blackmail wrap.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago.
Speaker 6: Well, I knew he was out, but I haven't heard anything about him in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Well, he's working for Vegas.
Speaker 6: Must be keeping his nose clean.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've seen cleaner noses on pigs.
Speaker 6: Somebody want me, no, what is it? Your melon head?
Speaker 4: She don't yell at me like that. I got something maron Roger Vegas.
Speaker 6: Well you want to hand it to me? Or would you just like to stand there and throw it?
Speaker 4: Oh? She always should stay away from Diamond. Every time you see him, you get manor and maner.
Speaker 6: Come on, come on, what do you got here?
Speaker 3: Ain't nothing much robbery detail? Come up with it.
Speaker 6: That photography shop was broken into this morning.
Speaker 4: Rick Burglary got some prince on the windows.
Speaker 3: Belong to some guy named Cahns. Carns.
Speaker 7: Yeah, says here, checked prince with State License Bureau. Prince belonged to one Lewis Khnes, Professor of science at State College.
Speaker 3: I'll see you later, Rick, Yeah, I nearly forgot.
Speaker 7: I checked with the corner. Told him about the color of Vegas's skin. He said that it could only be caused by a strong dose of silver salts silver sauce poisoning known as perinea p y r I n ni.
Speaker 3: A silver sauce. They used that in the photography shop.
Speaker 7: Carna said, a man that'd have to drink about thirty grains for a fatal dosage.
Speaker 6: That's quite a bit m M.
Speaker 3: Can you tell you how long he'd live?
Speaker 7: Yeah, anywhere from six to eight hours, according to the dosage.
Speaker 6: First the victim turns gray, then green.
Speaker 3: About what time was that photography shop broken into a wall?
Speaker 6: Oh, sometime before nine this morning, before they opened up. Thanks, where are you going?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna talk to George Young well and then find out if my gray client has turned green yet.
Speaker 12: Hello George, I told him Diamond. I told him you wanted to see him. He said he was going over to your office.
Speaker 3: Oh, facts, Look, what.
Speaker 10: Are you looking at me like that?
Speaker 8: For?
Speaker 12: I'm going straight now. I got a good job, see legit. I don't want no trouble.
Speaker 3: I don't blame you.
Speaker 10: Okay, mister Vegas has gone over your place. Why don't you go meet him?
Speaker 3: Huh, plenty of time.
Speaker 10: Look, he's in a hurry.
Speaker 12: He's got a big trouble and he's got to take care of it in the hurry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, he's got about an hour.
Speaker 10: Well, go on, go on. He paid it in me.
Speaker 3: What do you do around here, George?
Speaker 10: I listen, listen, you wh know my rights. I'm clean.
Speaker 12: I don't know what you're trying to approve, but I don't buy none of it. Now, get out of here. I'll call a straight cop.
Speaker 3: You know why Vegas is going to die in an hour? George?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: No, no I don't. If I did, I don't have to tell you nothing nothing.
Speaker 10: See.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know why he wants to find the professor. No, maybe you knew the professor's wife. No, maybe you know why she got killed?
Speaker 12: No, no, no, get out of here, time and get out.
Speaker 10: I'm clean. I'm legit now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a tub of mud.
Speaker 10: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I want you to tell me about Vegas?
Speaker 10: What about him?
Speaker 6: What about him?
Speaker 10: He owns the shop, that's all. He makes pictures?
Speaker 3: What else does he do nothing, nothing that I know of.
Speaker 12: What else he does? I don't know about What are you doing? Get away from me?
Speaker 3: I want to know all about it, George. I think I know most of it. I want to know the rest.
Speaker 10: No, I don't know. No, get away.
Speaker 3: I'm not a cop anymore. Remember, I don't have to play the rules.
Speaker 4: You can't skim me.
Speaker 10: You won't get rough. You ain't a compass right to lock you up if you get rough.
Speaker 3: Get away. I want to know why the professor's wife got killed.
Speaker 10: I don't know. I swear I don't know. She jumped. She jumped off the building.
Speaker 3: I thought you said you didn't know.
Speaker 6: Get away.
Speaker 3: No, please, please, I could figure everything but the wife. If she jumps, you had to have a reason. When I saw you, George, I got the idea. He's please blackmail. Maybe, George, I'm le shit. I told you I'm working black man with pictures. Maybe. Oh No, the dirtiest racket in the business. You're gonna tell me, George, I wish you were dead.
Speaker 4: I'm not telling you anything.
Speaker 3: Black Mail is the dirtiest racket I can think of.
Speaker 12: No, please, please.
Speaker 3: If Vegas finds a professor, you'll kill him. I've got an hour to stop a murder.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, okay, okay, we were blackmailing the wife phony pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many others? How many others?
Speaker 4: Hell lots?
Speaker 3: Okay, George, let's get out of the station. I hate to get the rough, but I'm gonna see that you'll get another ten years. I hauled George Youngwell down at the precinct and went back to see the professor. He gave me some very interesting information, interesting enough to make me call Walt and set up a plan. Then I went back to my office. When I walked in, I found Roger Vegas facing me. He turned an ugly shade of green, all but the gun in his hand.
Speaker 4: Where is he, diamond, I've got less than an hour.
Speaker 3: I just left George Youngwell at the fifth Precinct. He's singing like a quartet.
Speaker 4: I thought that would happen, but I'm not worried.
Speaker 3: You've got plenty of poisoning. Huh. That's right. You've had it for about seven and a half hours, ever since the professor broke into your store and made you drink the silver sauce. Yes, he was getting even for his wife.
Speaker 4: I've got about forty minutes to live. Where is he?
Speaker 3: What if you're shot on time, maybe you'd better start looking.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. You're going to show me.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I can't argue. I guess you won't live through it after all.
Speaker 3: Oh no, wait about it. Let's not lose our heads. He's at the college.
Speaker 4: Don't lie to me.
Speaker 3: He's in the science building in the basement.
Speaker 5: You're coming along, it'll like thirty minutes to get there. If you're lying, I've got five minutes left to kill you. I think that's plenty of time.
Speaker 3: The professor's in this building.
Speaker 4: Is it open?
Speaker 3: It should be?
Speaker 4: Go ahead stop. I can't see anything.
Speaker 3: The lights are out.
Speaker 4: If you're lying to me, Diamond. If he's not here, he's.
Speaker 3: Here, call him, okay, a professor, Professor kahns he's in the background.
Speaker 4: Tell him to come in.
Speaker 3: Will you come here, professor, it's Diamond. Get him in here, yes, professor, Yes, what is it, mister Diamond? Hello, Professor Vegas?
Speaker 4: Yes, surprise.
Speaker 3: No, No, I knew you'd hire this detective. I knew you'd come not too later.
Speaker 5: All right, Professor, I've got but five minutes, So you're going to die before me.
Speaker 3: You're a pretty terrible man.
Speaker 4: Look who's talking. Break into my store, pull a gun on me, make me drink that stuff. You're a killer, and you're going to pay for it.
Speaker 3: I'm not a killer yet.
Speaker 4: I haven't got the time to talk about it.
Speaker 3: You will get away with it.
Speaker 4: You think you pull it off, just great, don't you.
Speaker 5: Well I'm not only going to kill you, but I'm going to tell you something. I'm going to see how you take it. I got a little additional revenge, Professor. Your wife didn't jump. I pushed her.
Speaker 3: I don't believe it.
Speaker 5: She was going to start paying me, going to tell you about the pictures I was blackmailing with. Well, I couldn't have that, so I pushed her off the roof.
Speaker 3: That's all I wanted to know. Vegas, do you mean what? Very nice? Liutennant Levinson. Here's his gun.
Speaker 6: Thank you, mister Diamond. Get up, Vegas.
Speaker 4: You cheated me, but you've got to take him.
Speaker 7: He made me drink this stuff, or relax, You're gonna be all right crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm going to die, but he'll be the murderer. It's a little satisfaction anyway.
Speaker 11: You'll Hank, Professor, tell him, Professor, you lose all the way around Vegas. What do you mean it takes thirty grades of silver salts to be fatal. I only gave you fifty. In another few hours, you return to your natural color.
Speaker 3: No oh, no, oh no, don't be so unhappy Vegas. You try so hard to die. I think the state will do everything they can to see did you make it?
Speaker 2: Dick Powell will return in just a minute. Dick Powell will soon be seen in the RKO picture cry Danger. Tonight's adventure of Richard Diamond was written by Blake Edwards, with music by Frank Worth. Our director is Helen Mack. Featured in tonight's cast were Virginia, Greg Wilms, Herbert and Arthur Q.
Speaker 3: Bryant.
Speaker 2: Listen next week for another exciting transcribed adventure of Richard Diamond starring Dick Powell.
Speaker 4: This is your FBI.
Speaker 2: The official broadcast from the files of the FBI follows immediately. Stay tuned. This program came to you from Hollywood. This is the American Broadcasting Company.
Speaker 1: This is Andrew J.
Speaker 12: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man and his Wife. You're listening to the great Detectives of Old time Radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. Another intriguing set up and a good mystery in the way that it paid off. Though I think it's fair to say the series on ABC has definitely seen a big tonal shift, though I think that had been going on even in NBC, as the show really shifts away from the heavier duty comedy, particularly of the early NBC era. I have to adjust my thinking because when Diamond was starting to talk about how hideous the person standing before him was, I almost could swear that he had been talking about otis. But that's something that they would have done earlier in the series. So this one did have a little comedy, of course, with Levinson and even before that the voice of Diamond's conscience also voiced by Arthur q Bran and having much more of an Elmer fudfeel to it. Flaud itself kind of feels like a bit of a twist Onda the great nineteen fifty film starring Edmund O'Brien, which featured a man who had been poisoned and could not be saved using his last remaining hours, who find the man who murdered him to solve his murdering to get avenge on his killer here. Of course, there are several wrinkles in the formula, and I think it works well for this episode. All right, well, that will do it for today. Bring us back here tomorrow for Boston Blackie, and next Wednesday it's another episode of Richard Diamond. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot NT, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com. Slash Radio Detectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Grahamson and off