Speaker 1: It's the JB and Sandy Show. And for those of you listening to us on the iHeartRadio app, make sure you tap that follow button and allow your notifications. It's Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. He joined us every Friday. Stephen Presley find him on Instagram at thunder Pop TV. Same thing on YouTube. We've got a lot to talk about. It's kind of that time of the summer where the big movies are coming out, and one of them is the new Brad Pitt movie. F won the movie and Brad Pitt was in Austin to promote the movie, Wasn't You?
Speaker 2: He surprised audiences at the Bob Bullock Imax Theater this week. Yeah, Brad Pitt in the flesh. What's funny is a few weeks ago we talked about Tom Cruise announcing ahead of time that he was going to be in Texas for some movie theater appearances, and Tricia was like, tell me when Brad Pitt's coming, That's the one I want. And I was like, okay, but sure enough this time though, they didn't pre announce it because I'm sure Tricia would have been downtown camping, camping Brad Pitt. If that's why they probably didn't re announce that Brad Pitt was going to be at the Bob Bullock is because the ladies might have gone a little bit too crazy in Austin. But yeah, he surprised audiences at the at F one movie screening, and this was right after he had been in New York where they shut down Times Square for a big premiere in New York.
Speaker 1: I have two observations having seen the video of Brad Pitt walking into the theater at the Bob Bullock. Two things. One, I was incredibly impressed with the women that maintained their senses and didn't just run down and start humping his lege. That would have been me. I was really impressed with the women that were able to the Other thing, And it's kind of a question for you, Stephen, he looks like an F one driver in this appearance, like his haircut, the clothes that he was wearing like very like had a tracksuit on, like Lewis Hamilton. Do they do that on purpose? Do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he really got into the role. And he came here to Austin. I think it was twenty twenty three to spend some time at F one track. Yeah, to do some research for the role and kind of get prepared for the role. So he spent a lot of time with F one drivers learning their their flavor and how to become that.
Speaker 1: As the kids say, he definitely had the F one drip, you know what I mean. Definitely.
Speaker 3: The one that knows the sport that's usually lingering around is Patrick Dempsey.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's always at the.
Speaker 3: F one events. He's a big race entus like he drives, he races himself.
Speaker 1: This is one I have a feeling you would recommend seeing at the movie theater. Yeah, this looks great.
Speaker 2: It's the top gun director by the way, so it's got the DNA to be a potential you know hit. And Brad Pitt doesn't always do the blockbustery movie, so this this looks like something that could be a blockbustery movie. I might have been in a new word blockbustery. Yeah, and maybe this is gonna be an outstanding movie.
Speaker 1: I mean, my mom's excited about it. It has to be really good for a mom to try commercial for F one too. I mean, it's a they're trying to grow the sport in America, and this is a great way to do it right.
Speaker 4: I saw an interview that he did about it, and they were going to actual F one events, and before the race started, like when all of the crowd was in the stand, they were given like five minutes to use the track or to film whatever they were going to film. So they were getting the effect of it being a legit race because they were actual legit fans there and he's driving in a lot of the scenes and they were like, how did you remember your lines going that fast? And it was like, I didn't care about my lines. I just wanted to remember when I was supposed to break. It's like I was trying to make sure I stayed on the track.
Speaker 1: To be You're kind of the net one guy, aren't you.
Speaker 3: I'm a I'm a fan. Yeah, I don't follow it super close. I'd like motorsports, any motorsports.
Speaker 1: The buddy of mine's son is way into it, and they get up at like six in the morning to watch it live and they're they're I think they're doing bong hits and making waffles.
Speaker 3: To You have to that sport if you're a fan or you know, like I follow cycling too. It's because it's impossible to avoid a spoiler, right, if you want to tape it and watch it. That even sounds funny to say, now tape it, yeah right, but if you want to record and watch it later, it's like it will get spoiled before you get to it.
Speaker 1: It's the movie f one and wide release today.
Speaker 2: No, it's actually coming out. It's a few it's Austin's it's screen and the eighteenthear in Austin. It's a few weeks away. Oh wait, no, this was the twenty first. Oh it's this, Yes, it's this. Uh this week? Is it this week or next week?
Speaker 1: I think it's this week. Yeah, it's out.
Speaker 3: So you mentioned Tom Cruise, you know, coming to Texas to promote, and then you know Brad Pitt. This seems like a throwback Hollywood thing, Like is this kind of a new trending thing to actively promote a movie? You know they used to be able to just go on The Tonight Show and call it good right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe a new trend because Tom Cruise was doing this for Mission Impossible, going out and making the appearances at theaters. What's funny about this is as I connect the dots. You know, Tom Cruise announced recently that they're going to do a Days of Thunder sequel. Okay, yeah, his big race car movie. There's always been kind of this, Ever since they made an interview with the Vampire together Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, there's been kind of this. They're they're friends, but they're also kind of rivals of sorts, and it seems like there's always a one.
Speaker 1: Up, one up, friendly competition, friendly competition.
Speaker 2: And when I see this trailer for this F one movie, I'm wondering if that could have been the Days of Thunder premise for a Days of Thunder sequel aging race car driver that gets a new challenge to come out of retirement for so, I'm wondering if Tom Cruise is somewhere thinking, man, we're gonna have to rework our Days of Thunder sequet.
Speaker 1: June twenty seven. By the way, is they okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's much bigger US audience for a NASCAR movie than an F one movie.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. I always think of you. You mentioned Brad and Pete and Tom Cruise out in person promoting the movie, and I used to watch Entourage, and I remember Ari, who was the agent in the show, told Venny He's like Vanny, Vanny, Vanny. They don't pay you to act, man, they pay you to promote. They don't care if you can act. They just needs you out there promoting the movie. Which makes a lot of sense, right. Moving along, staying in the movie theme, though, James Gunn thinks he knows why there's movie theater experience is dying, why movies are dying, and how to fix it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: James Gunn, director of the new Superman movie Guardians of the Galaxy, he said the movie industry is dying, and here's why he thinks. So. He says that a lot of scripts, a lot of movies get greenlit without a finished screenplay. And his policy now that he's running DC Studios is that no matter how big the IP is, the intellectual property like say Batman for example, no matter how big that is, if the script is not good, I'm not going to green light it, no matter how big. And he said that's the problem with Hollywood. They went through a trend and he says that's what's kind of killed Marvel recently, is they would just greenlight these movies because they want a new whatever Fantastic four movie, not caring whether they had a good script for it or not. He just killed a movie with There Was Gonna Be with Colin Ferrell, based off of Me, a big comic book. He just killed that movie because they couldn't get the script right. A Batman movie they've been trying to make for a while. He won't green light this new Batman movie until they get the script right.
Speaker 1: That makes sense business wise, doesn't it? Absolutely? That bad movie can kill the franchise? Yeah? Right? And if you're already green lid, are you gonna really put all your effort in the right your Yeah? I mean, but if you're hungry and you really want to get approved, and you're going to put the effort into to create a good script, right, I think so, James Gunn doing things a little bit differently. Stephen Presley, our guest. Let's talk about movies some more, and let's talk about the name could gun Remake, which is out here is the trailer for that. Who are you driven? Detective Frank Kreven and you friend are the best of the best. So as you served twenty years for Man's Laughter, you mean man Slaughter? Must have been quite a joke. Nobody messages, what's the squad? This stuff still works? Money Man's laughter. That was so good.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The trailer made us all laugh and I'm ready. I'm in. I'm in for Naked.
Speaker 3: I hate to reference like before the show conversations, but I said, does that humor still work today?
Speaker 1: And we're all to die and laugh at all show? Right? Right? It does? Uh? What's the story here on Naked Gun?
Speaker 2: There's so many layers to this. For one thing, Panel Anderson her comeback.
Speaker 1: She's in this movie. She looks.
Speaker 2: He's more than a second trailer. She looks amazing. In the trailer, she has that scene where she comes in and says, can I have a seat and they said sure, and she takes the seat. Of course, Lisa leaves the office. So we're getting we're getting that wrestling fans, you're gonna get Cody Rhodes really getting body slammed by Liam Neeson in this in this movie. Uh, I'm only concerned with this is that The thing with all comedies is I hope they're just not showing all the funny stuff in these trailers that's actually in the movie and getting it all away, and there's not gonna be any other funny things when you go to see the actual movie, and so you're gonna already know ahead of time what all the jokes were. So hopefully there's some other funny stuff in there. But the first trailer with the O. J. Simpson reference, they just put it right right out there right away, like, yes, we are going to you know, reference OJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because OJ was in the other ones.
Speaker 2: He was in the other ones, and it was quite popular in the Naked Gun movies. And actually, and I know and JB had watched because we all talked about it on the show that the OJ documentary on Netflix y and and in that documentary I kind of did a little like when I get really fascinated with a documentary the topic, I deep dive into it later and go online and read more up on this subject. And I know that Naked Gun, that last Naked Gun movie came out just a few like just weeks before the O the uh, the stab the murders.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, it wasn't that far. It wasn't that far.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about the OJ documentary yesterday for some reason.
Speaker 1: On a bike ride.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about it and I don't remember if I brought this up. One of the things that came up in the documentary. Remember the famous gloves. Yeah, yeah, they they interviewed. This didn't make it into the trial. They had a testimony from a guy that worked for Isotna, which was the brand of the gloves, and they showed footage of oj Sideline in an NFL game in the winter wearing.
Speaker 1: The exact same gloves.
Speaker 3: Wow, and the guy from the guy from Isotona the company said yeah, that's the same model that was presented in court. How did that not make the trial, that he was seen in those same gloves. I'm getting I know, I'm going back into it again, but it's mind blowing how that trial got screwed up.
Speaker 4: Also, the eyewitness that saw him fleeing the scene and almost hit her in his bronco. They never put her on the stand either, Like, as he's leaving having just murdered them, he ran a stop sign and they had to veer off to not hit each other and they came to a stop and she's like, I made eye contact with him. Never was taken put into the trial, never interviewed her.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to a funny scene OJ did and Naked Gun. Oh god it so remember he was partners with Frank Drummond and if you remember, OJ got shot or run over by a car or something and he's in the hospital. Right. They were chasing bat, they were chasing drug dealers and OJ knew where the drug dealers were and they were selling heroin. And so Frank drop or Leslie Nielsen's character comes in and he's like, man, I'm really sorry. Is there anything I could do from you? And the OJJ whoever the character was all he could say. He was like, herein here, owen hererowhen and Frank Droven goes, Jesus, buddy, that's a pretty tall order. But I'll see what I do. That cries to me. It still makes me laugh. Still, I can't wait. I'm in for Naked Gun. I can't wait.