Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M.
Speaker 2: Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Already in the hallways, people are dying to tell us about your sandwiches.
Speaker 1: So just everybody get ready for that.
Speaker 2: That's the first time I think we've heard people in the hallways say that we're about to be blown away by the sandwiches. Adam Gertler and Shane Lyons are co founders of Vesty. I want to read to you just what they have right there on their marketing package. We take the best cured meats, punchy cheeses, and tasty spreads and tuck them between our baked to order for Kacia.
Speaker 1: That's poetry right there.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Welcome you guys, Welcome, thank you. Where do we start? What's where did Vesty come from?
Speaker 4: Well, Vesty, I think was a quick random Google search on Shane's part over there and Africa.
Speaker 3: What were you looking at?
Speaker 4: It was right before a trip to Italy when we started making the sandwiches, and then we were going to go to Italy and do like a little sandwich pilgrimage, and Shane looked up and came up with vesty and apparently it's like an Italian slang for well dressed, and we thought that that was really fitting because this is what we try to do. We try to take a sandwich and we try to make it beautifully dressed, beautifully curated, beautifully tailored.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm wearing a suit right now.
Speaker 4: When I bring these sandwiches to people, I usually dress up because the sandwich is made to be enjoyed as we prepared it. It's not over stuffed with meat. It's the perfect amount of fillings. And really the bread is the thing. It's got to be the perfect fluffy, light bread that you look at it and you're like, oh, that's a lot of bread, and you bite it and it's like biting into a cloud.
Speaker 3: But yeah, do you remember what you looked up and found vesty? Yeah, I think we were working out of a.
Speaker 4: We were in the back of a pizza shop and now defund pizza shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Adam and I actually met each other in combat on the Next Food Network Star we were on fifteen years ago and.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and eight, I think that error.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we immediately aligned forces and realized we were more similar than we were different, and through since then we found every opportunity we could to work with each other. We both went our different paths. I mean, Adam had a great career in media for many years. I went more of the traditional chef route. Ended up opening up a restaurant in Manhattan in New York and working with a fantastic restaurant restaurant tours or in your Plant and did that for as long as I think someone you know can do it for about ten years and we were pretty successful. But both Adam and I have been on the end of running restaurants, owning them and going, hey, this is this is really hard it.
Speaker 2: Listen, I don't know enough about the restaurant business. Our sandwiches look down upon. I mean there's every every every culture has its own version of some kind of bread, some kind of filling.
Speaker 4: Funny, you know, I think the sandwich is probably the kind of thing that a lot of the best chefs in the best restaurants are going to want to eat. They're going to be taking their ingredients that are all refined and prepared with elaborate lines and many chefs, but at the end of it going to take that meat and that sauce and that's spread. It's going to end up on some bread because they're still working and often they don't think about eating, and they're having some of the best sandwiches known to man, which is kind of like how this happened, you know, like Shane is a really well trained shaft.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a chef, but I'm more.
Speaker 4: Of an aficionado of food. I love the craft. You know, I've worked with Doghouse for the past ten years doing all their sausages. I got really into making sausages and hot dogs, so you know, that's what I've been doing, and then we kind of developed the bread part of it, and we're like, this is perfect because there's always going to be a place for a sandwich, and at this point we kind of feel like there is a bar that should be higher for the sandwich. And you know, I like a Jersey Mikes as much as anyone else, but you know what that is, and it's ubiquitous, and it's we think there's room for a sandwich to be a little bit more special, a little bit more premium if you care a little bit, and it's very accessible. You can have a great sandwich and it's approachable. It's not like having paragoid truffles shaved onto, you know, a veal cheek.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is that right?
Speaker 4: Is that addition you would amaze del actually sounds but we could make a sandwich of that.
Speaker 3: You know what we've learned.
Speaker 5: You can make anything a sandwich, you really can. You just stick it between bread, that's a sandwich. But the thing is is I think Adam and I really we started with the idea of going, we want to work together, which is number one. We we we we are good partners for each other. We communicate really well, we know each other's strength and each other's weaknesses, and so that was the first step. And then it was like, what are we going to do because you know, we talked about I think at one point a diner or something like that, and it came back to us like, we really don't want to follow the traditional path of restaurant touring. We've both lived in that world for a very long time and despite all the best best efforts, energies, tons of capital, it's really really challenging, as we all know, and restaurants are closing every single day, and I fear they will continue to because the model itself is broken and has been for years. My parents were restaurant tours. I grew up in the industry and I've seen me any of the flaws for for a long long time. So I think a lot of the inception of Vesti was going, well, how do we make a food business that we can scale, that we can make actually profitable for ourselves, for our families, for hopefully anyone we bring on board in terms of other partners or investors. And I think that's the starting point. In some ways, this is a business. You know, we've had a lot of hobbies, but this is something we want to look at that generationally, hopefully our sons will run.
Speaker 1: Is it strictly catering, is it?
Speaker 3: Well, actually no.
Speaker 4: We started as the first of the year doing orders through door dash and grub hubs and people can come pick up.
Speaker 3: We don't have a traditional storefront.
Speaker 2: Eat vest dot com is where you're gonna find a website and if you're not hungry yet, you look at the website, you'll you'll eat everything.
Speaker 1: E A, t V, E S, T I, eatvestd dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so on the website you can pick up. You can also deliver if you're anywhere in the LA area, will deliver. We just delivered to Sketches yesterday.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll we'll go anywhere.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing is, like you can see we have these large boxes of sandwiches hold either ten wrapped sandwiches or they're unwrapped, like we brought to the people here at iHeart, and we have them cut into twenty four shareables, and that's going to be great for like, you know, the big game when you're having people over. It's almost like the new version of the six foot Hero. That's a very shareable. You just grab one and you can get different varieties and try different sandwiches. They wrapped and stamped are great for wholesale or if we're in maybe a law office or an agency where they're a little bit more buttoned up and people want to take their sandwiches and go back. But we figure in a city like Los Angeles, there's got to be a thousand people a day that want to eat these sandwiches, and if we could start there, that's a pretty good place to start. And so we have our own, like we like to call it a sandwich factory. I'm bacon bread all the time. I'm burning my arms. I'm loving it. You know, just these loaves of love. Each one of them comes out and like I know them, I remember stretching them out, and then you know we've also had.
Speaker 1: Bred the name all of them that would take so much.
Speaker 4: Time, but a few of them, but you know, that was a whole process. Then we had a period where the bread wasn't right and we were.
Speaker 3: Like what are we doing?
Speaker 4: And you know, we threw out hundreds of loaves of bread, and you know when you come out on the other end of it and you're like, ah, we've refound the bread. You know, we wanted to make a sandwich that would make you stop and say that's freaking good, freaking yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, not the internal rights, yes, but yes, you know, like a sandwich where you take a bite and you're you're at your office or whatever your work day is, and you take a bite and you have to take a minute, like it grabs your attention just for a second, and it elevates your day. I've worked in offices, I know lunch is the best part of the day, right, And it's like, we love nothing more than people to be like, oh sandwiches, okay, that's where we want your level of expectation.
Speaker 2: I mean, the sandwich and the menu itself, from the Italian turkey, the spicy guy, the muffaletta. You've got a whole vegan option here with the let's not meet, the capraise a salad sandwich, the Bolognian cheese, I mean, and then the chips and the cookies, the caramel corn, the crackling caramel corn that you left in front of me, which I can't believe I haven't eaten yet. All of these are available on the website. Again, it's eatfesti dot com. You guys also helped out. We have partnered with the Dream Center LA obviously to help fire recovery efforts that are going on.
Speaker 1: How did that go well?
Speaker 4: You know, I live in Highland Park with my wife and my two children, Moe and Poppy, and you know, when the fires happened, we're pretty close and the air was bad, so we had to leave, and it was very close to home. My wife, Andrea, is from California, and so she immediately just started like behind diapers and water and just trying to take it to places. And I reached out to Dave. You know, I've done a lot of work with Doghouse. We've been here and we've been great partners before, and Dave's like, I'm at the Dream Center all week. We could take sandwiches here, So, you know, not like it was a lot that we did, but we brought a couple of hundred sandwiches a couple of days to really feed the volunteers. And it really was really an honor for us because seeing all those hundreds of volunteers and people sorting the clothes and just everybody putting everything aside to just know what they do and to unify kind of purpose. To feel like just that we were bringing a few sandwiches, I gotta tell you a mint all that tragedy, it felt really really good. So you guys should feel incredible for what you organized there. And people were just the cars coming through. It was really really amazing. And I know that the money is still pouring in and Dave is an incredible guy and that's.
Speaker 3: Great, and so we were really lucky that he was like, yeah, bring some sandwiches by and come on and talk about them. We know we're you know, we really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, we thank you for helping out that that effort it's it's been big around here, so glad and again people in the hallways talking about the sandwiches that you guys left upstairs for everybody. So I can't wait to get into one, but I can't do while I'm talking to you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not great radio, so no, it's not our.
Speaker 2: Adam and Shane, thanks for coming in. Eat Vesty dot com is the website. Plan your party and then call these guys and they'll they'll bring your sandwiches. Thank you guys again, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having all right.
Speaker 2: I thought this was a great story and I had never heard this before. Do you have any I who Florence Hinton is. Florence Hinton in the twenties and thirties was a pretty well known opera singer, to the point where she met and married a guy named Charles Hinton, and she, Florence Hinton, toured with their own artistic company that performed in shows alongside orchestras and dancers and singers, and they made the rounds in the Orpheum circuit, the name given to a bunch of different theaters, of course, including the Orpheum Theater here in La They played host to vaudeville variety shows. Well, one night, Florence Hinton is on tour in nineteen thirty six, and a kid comes to the show. But the kid doesn't have any money to buy a ticket. However, and this is one of many questions I have about this story that makes you question the veracity of it, but this kid is carrying two squirrels with him, which he promptly trades for or a ticket to go see the Florence Hinton show. Well, not too long after that, that would have been nineteen thirty six. Not too long after that, Florence Hinton loses her voice and she couldn't carry on a singing career. But these squirrels that she had exchanged for a ticket, all of a sudden became a money making opportunity. So she trained the squirrels to do a bunch of tricks, including taking a bath on command and playing dead on command. This is what one of the newsreels sounded like from back in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: This is what you might call a squirrely story. Meet Mss Florence Hinton of Grover City, California, who has trained a small platoon of the bushy tailed little rodents into amiability and a desire to please snookums.
Speaker 3: Here is a motherly, little old.
Speaker 1: Lady squirrel with quite a talent for baby city that's holding a little baby doll. Now, all of this was going well. She was making money.
Speaker 2: She was making a tour around all over California showing off these squirrels. One day she's at the KTLA lot, and she's there because she wants one of the squirrels, named Susa after John Phillips Susa to come out waving a little tiny flag wagging its tail. But she was told by the crew to take a step back so that the cameras wouldn't see her. She tripped and fell and actually hurt herself to the point where she couldn't carry the big cage necessary for her squirrel act.
Speaker 1: So she sued the.
Speaker 2: Parent company of KTLA, Paramount Television Productions, for about thirty two thousand bill thirty two thousand dollars for medical bills and damages. She was awarded about fifteen thousand and a half of what she asked for would have been about one hundred and seventy five grand. Now, she kept performing until the sixties. They said she ultimately faded into obscurity, but her legacy lives on. In One Quirky Squirrel Act continues to make waves In One Deeply Patriotic Day in October of twenty sixteen, the National Archives and Records Administrations turned it into a jiff that you could send via social media.
Speaker 1: Funny little story.
Speaker 5: Damn Gary, that's cold.
Speaker 2: You picked a day that Shannon wasn't there to discuss Deli sandwiches.
Speaker 1: Oh man, tell me you hate Shannon without telling me you hate Shannon.
Speaker 5: Good luck tomorrow when.
Speaker 1: She gets back, buddy, you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: No those because this was an unexpected outage, an unexpected absence. Today, she had to have some just to get her root canal fixed or something like that. In the meantime, it's oh, eat Vesty, that's a eat Vesty dot com.
Speaker 1: It's the sandwich Place. It's time for strange science.
Speaker 3: Strange Sawyer.
Speaker 5: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 2: The European Space Agency says that it's now monitoring an asteroid about the size of a football.
Speaker 1: Field that could hit Earth.
Speaker 2: This asteroid is called twenty twenty four y R four, estimated to have a one in eighty three chance of a direct hit. I think they said that's about a one point two percent chance of a direct hit, but they do know when it would be. They say it would be if it does hit Earth. Wednesday, December twenty second, twenty thirty two. They said, most likely it's going to be a near miss. The asteroid would pass within a few thousand miles. That's considered a near miss astronomically speaking. The Space Mission Planning Advisory Group, which is chaired by ESA, will discuss the latest observations at a meeting in Vienna next week. They said, if the impact risk is confirmed, it makes official recommendations to the UN and they may have to begin options for a new Bruce Willis Billy Bob Thornton movie or a spacecraft based response to the potential hazard.
Speaker 1: Is the way they put it.
Speaker 2: Doctor Simeon Barber is a space scientist and said we shouldn't be overly worried, at least not yet. That's because our early detection systems quite often overestimate the likelihood of an impact with Earth. Just a couple of years ago, NASA was able to smash a spacecraft into a pretty big asteroid, a little bit larger than this one.
Speaker 1: They say.
Speaker 2: The dimorphose and successfully changed its orbit. Bill Nelson, administrator of NASA at the time, said, all of us have a responsibility to protect our home planet. After all, it's the only one we have. This new asteroid, or I should say near Earth asteroid is what they're calling it. First spotted by a telescope in Chile right around Christmas time. Since the start of January, they've been tracking the asteroid to try to gauge its size and its movement and see if they can calculate any better whether or not it's going to actually hit the Earth. But again, right now they say it's about a one point two percent chance of clobbering into somewhere on the Earth, and that it would be just before Christmas of twenty thirty two. Put that in your calendar. I guess all right, Shannon's back tomorrow. John Cobelt Show is coming up next, and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Stay dry, everybody, Oh love God much. Gary and Shannon. You're watching it.
Speaker 3: You're holding your breath.
Speaker 1: We were, I know, I kind of got chills. I'm like, come on, buddy, get all disturbed in the beginning.
Speaker 4: But it's true.
Speaker 1: You're down.
Speaker 3: But you know, get back up.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap