Speaker 1: Honestly one of your favorites too, because she fills in for me here in addition to all of the work that she does doing all kinds of other stuff to advance freedom and liberty and those, you know, those old school values that we love so much. Deborah Flora, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Man, he's so fun to be on the show with you. Usually were like matter and antimatter. We're never in the same place at the big time.
Speaker 1: The people don't see us in the same room. I'm not saying we're the same person because we're not. But you know, anyway, So let's talk first of all, and I briefly mentioned your projects, your side hustles, the things that you work on in order to advance liberty and justice and all that good stuff. Tell me about Douglas County Citizenry, even though I already know because I'm a member, I'm.
Speaker 2: Just saying, yes you are. It is a secret handshake. Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: And I think instead of a hustle, that's a fun way to say it.
Speaker 2: It is, you know, kind of that see and need fill a need.
Speaker 3: Douglas Citizenry was born out of some things that I think a lot of us saw in this last election cycle, and many of your listeners. Now, I did run for the fourth Congressional district. That night of the primary, when we learn that only twenty five percent of voters that were eligible to vote for the Republican candidate actually voted, that was more troubling to me than not winning the nomination, because what I thought to myself is how does a republic continue if seventy five percent of the voters are so disengaged or disgusted or disenfranchised that they don't even vote in the primary. And so out of that there's a group of us. I'm just one of many of a steering committee. We decided to form a group called Douglas County Citizenry, And the title is very, very purposeful, because we want this to be a place where people of goodwill will come together, will get re engaged, will be informed, and will not lose the sense that there is a place for them.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of modeled after the Big Tent.
Speaker 3: We don't have any requirements that it's not even say says Republican, although probably the most of them are Republican, but there are unaffiliated voters. Our primary guideline is that you stamp for the Constitution, which by the way, has benefited more people in the history of mankind than any other document, to live, speak and think freely, meaning we don't all have to agree on everything, but we do have to stand for one another's rights to live free. And we're very excited because since launching it in October, we have you know, pretty much standing room only and you know, nearly one hundred people. And one last thing I'll say about it, Mandy, that's encouraging because what we didn't know is do people want to actually come together and not to scream at one another or scream at someone who's not there. Do they actually want to come together just to simply talk about issues and solutions, you know, policies and principles, not personalities.
Speaker 2: And it does seem there's a big hung and thurstare and so we're very excited about it.
Speaker 1: So of course I love it because I've been to these meetings and they're super informative and they usually include some kind of panel discussion from interesting people talking in a very civil and respectful way about big issues. It's so nerdy and simple and fantastic, and I think that everybody there feels the same way. So you guys are doing one specifically related to the Douglas County Republican parties leadership elections that are coming up. And I wanted to have you on Deborah, not because everybody who listened to the show lives in Douglas County, but what a great idea. And I'm hoping that this inspires other county groups to say, wait a minute, we want to hear from the leadership potential as well. So what is happening tomorrow night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much, Jeoh, because this is outside of our regular meetings, and people can find out more on Facebook. Douglas County Citizenry is the public face page, and then there is a more private group where people promise not to.
Speaker 2: Bilify one another, but everyone is welcome. Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We are having a forum tomorrow night, Wednesday, January twenty second.
Speaker 2: The doors open at six thirty pm.
Speaker 3: The forum will start at seven pm at that North Star Academy. Those details will be on Facebook. But here's the reason why even Douglas County, and by the way, we do hope this gets replicated all over the state because we believe that an active engagement, informed citizenry is the key to keeping and protecting our freedoms. But the reality is in Douglas County there's forty nine percent of our.
Speaker 2: Voters that are unaffiliated. That's interesting to me.
Speaker 3: Most people think of it as a very Republican county and most of our elected officials are Republican. But this is an opportunity to begin to persuade people. First of all, this forum in particular is to hear from people who are running for the leadership of the Douglas County Republican Party.
Speaker 2: It will be run civilly, as you probably know, Mandy. I think I have been in you know, nearly you know, twenty.
Speaker 3: Five to thirty to forty forums myself as a participant, so I know when it is fruitful and it's really reflecting the questions that people, the average citizen wants to know. But it's an opportunity for people to come in here. Not everyone can vote for these candidates, necessarily you have to be in this central committee, but everyone can hear.
Speaker 2: Everyone can listen.
Speaker 3: Everyone can submit a question on a card that they want to hear. And I believe it's the beginning to, you know, starting to kind of heal the divide in our state and in our country even and I'm letting people listen to those who are running for these offices.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things we talk about healing the divisions in our nation, but you and I both agree we're not going to be able to heal the divisions in our nation until we can heal the dialogue and we can learn again to have the civil discourse that we've been able to have the past, because you and I have been alive when a time when people could have a spirited discussion at a dining table and get up and still be friends and relatives at the end of it. And we have to get back to that. And that's one of the things that I like about Douglas County citizenry is because everybody that I've talked to, and every time I go I see somebody else.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of funny, you know, I'm like, oh, you're here too. It's like we're all discovering it at the same time. But I think that we have to fix it on our side before we can hope that anybody anywhere else can fix it. Like, we can only control what we can control, right, So that is what's so valuable here? So again, where can people find this? I did put a link on the blog today to the Facebook page with the information in it if you'd like to go. But who is going to be at the event to your knowledge?
Speaker 3: Now? Yeah, right now we have at least three of the candidates confirmed that are going to be there. There are five positions that are going to be chosen. This is going to be open to any candidate that announces prior to tomorrow Wednesday, January twenty second, and one hundred percent I.
Speaker 2: Agree if we do not, even within the.
Speaker 3: Conservative side, show those who are disenfranchised that there is a place where you will be respected intrinsically, that you do not have demanded homogeny of thought, I mean group think is out of George Orrell's nineteen eighty four. For goodness sakes, it should not be on the constitutional conservative side of things. And so we really do invite people to come and here, and once again, even if you don't know anything.
Speaker 2: About this is a great place to start.
Speaker 3: How are people chosen that end up leading one of the two parties that is predominant in our country.
Speaker 2: So people can find out.
Speaker 3: More on Facebook or through your blog, the link is there Douglas County Citizenry, and that that is where we have this posted. And yes, you know what, there are a lot of people that are looking now for a place of common sense. Let them know that it's actually on the side where the principles actually work. And that is why you know, we're for the constitutional principles and why we've got to We've got to show that we're not the mean party, the other one who has shown that their policies don't work. But time to come together and grow this movement of freedom. So we invite everyone to join us.
Speaker 1: I also would invite people who have never been involved in the party to come out to this. It's a little way to sort of understand some of the dynamics of party politics without going to a party meeting. There's nothing wrong with going to a party meeting, of course, but if you just are not ready to commit to that and you just want to maybe see what getting a little more involved looks like, I would strongly recommend this, and just a phenomenal group of people, like top to bottom, this is just a really great group of people. If you're looking to connect with people that lean right but aren't rapidly political. This may be the organization for you. I really feel that way. It's like, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We have a tag phrase for Douglas County Citizeneria, which is loves company because there are so many sides of the political spectrum that our misery loves company.
Speaker 2: That is not where we are. We actually believe that.
Speaker 3: When we come together and really that big tent idea that Reagan had where you're eighty percent friend or the person you grew with eighty percent of the time is not your twenty percent enemy, Well you can't be conservative and authoritarian at the same time. That actually is an oxymoron, but it is fun because you know what, It also increases hope that there is a place for people of goodwill who understand our rights are life, liberty in the pursuit of happiness and that does not have to be the same for each person. Your idea of happiness might not be mine, and that is okay. But we stand for one another's right to live free and then we have a great time.
Speaker 1: All right, deb Flora. The event is happening tomorrow night. I wish I could be there, but I'm going to be in beautiful Puerto Rico still so we'll have to get a full update on how it went.
Speaker 3: Dev.
Speaker 1: So good to say, so good to see you as always.
Speaker 2: Yo, you two.
Speaker 3: Thanks man, you have a great time in Puerto Rico. We will miss you tomorrow and hope everyone joins us.