Speaker 1: You're listening to the Mind Over Murder podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is Bill Thomas. I'm a writer, consulting, producer, and now podcaster. I am now trying to use my experience as the brother of a murder victim to help other victims of violent crime. I'm working on a book on the unsolved Colonial Parkway murders, and I'm the co administrator of the Colonial Parkway Murders Facebook group together with Kristin Dilly.
Speaker 1: My name is Kristin Dilly.
Speaker 3: I'm a writer, a researcher, a teacher, and a victim's advocate, as well as the social media manager and co administrator for the Colonial Parkway Murders Facebook page with my partner in crime, Bill Thomas.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Mind Over Murderer.
Speaker 2: I'm Kristin Dilly and I'm Bill Thomas.
Speaker 5: We are joined today by Troy Hillman, author of Chasing Down the Zombie Hunter, the true story of a small town accountant an elite group of detectives in Arizona's most verifying cold case.
Speaker 4: Troy, Welcome to the podcast. Made you guys for having me.
Speaker 5: We are so thrilled to be able to talk about this case because it really is a doozy, and it's one that I think a lot of our listeners might be unfamiliar with. So before we get into your background and how you got involved with the case, start by talking to us about the case that a lot of Phoenicians know as the Canal killings, although now I think it's pivoting to be called the Zombie Hunter murders.
Speaker 4: Tell us about the Canal killings. So the first murder happened in November of nineteen ninety two. A young woman named Angela Brosso went for a bike ride at dusk, and that was a Sunday evening, and she never came back from her bike ride. And the next day officers saw that grizzly made a grizzly discovery on the right by her apartment complex, and she had been decapitated. Her head had been taken from the scenes and her bike as well as her walkman. So that's what officers found. Detectives converged and then just worked the hell out of the basically the investigation and came up with really nothing over the next ten months. And I must say that ten days after Angela was killed, the killer threw her head back in the canal and that was even more shocking, I think to the city of Phoenix, the state of Arizona that he would do something like that. So then ten months later, in September of nineteen ninety three, a seventeen year old junior at Arcadia High School went for bike ride, her name was Melanie Burtis at dusk and she rode from the Arcadia area, which is on the eastern side of Phoenix, up towards what was known as Metro Center, the north central side of Phoenix, and she was never She was found the next day, actually floating into the canal, redressed and had been carved on.
Speaker 2: Were you working the case right from the beginning, Troy.
Speaker 4: No, I actually I wasn't. Was in college at the time, back at the University of Illinois doing my accounting degree, which i fill to this day. It's a great degree, but I didn't really want to use it.
Speaker 5: Accounting definitely has its uses, but I think that you found a way to put your intelligence and skills to much better use. And I'm sure most of Phoenix would agree with my assessment on that one. So the type of killings that you saw here, these really brutal murders, was that normal for Phoenix at that time.
Speaker 4: No, I honestly, Kristin would say, it's not all for Phoenix at any time or anywhere. It was something kind of scripted out of a Hollywood It's just this level of brutality. And then we have this awful, horrific murder happen, and then another one ten months later, and then nothing. So you have nothing on the front end and you have nothing on the back end. So investigators were really just stretching their head. And then you had fear amongst the public saying, Okay, this is obviously a serial killer if he's doing these things at the heading and redressing and carving and these fantasies, so what are you doing about it? And thousands of tips came in internationally and they were able to triage each one, but they were really it was what was shocking was both girls were killed in the same manner, with the stab wound to the back, both were athletic women, and nobody could really find how he got away with it. Nobody saw anything but either scene, anything substantial.
Speaker 2: And both of these cases had occurred during the day and people were around, and yet no one seemed to witness anything that would have led them to a suspect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, both girls went out round of dusk, so there was light. And then I can't say exactly when the perpetrators, I know, build the victims, but yeah, he spent a lot of time with them. But this is November. The factor was in November in Phoenix and the weather's really starting to break, and you've got rollerbladers, you've got the bicyclists, you've got runners and walkers up and down those canal pass and people are just eager to It's kind of like the Winner back East when it breaks, very eager to get outside. So November in Phoenix is at a time where it's very recreational. So the fact that he was able to do all of this, drag her hundreds of feet and then get away with it that inexplicable. And then so the second murder was in a largely commercial area, but still there were workers at a amusement park which overlooked the scenes, and they were contacted and they said that we saw noth age, which is again it's just shocking and surreal that he was able to go undetected.
Speaker 5: Yeah you're talking about castles and coasters, right, yeah, yeah, Okay, Yeah, when I first started visiting my aunts in Phoenix in the late nineties, Castles and Coasters was one of the first places that I wanted to go because how cool is it that you've got a neat, little amusement park right in the middle of the big city.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 5: The area is very familiar to me, and when I moved to Phoenix in two thousand and five, I did hear about the case, although right at that time period was when the baseline killer and the serial shooters were working, so I was hearing a lot more about those than I was about the Canal murder. But that was definitely something that was peripherally on my radar that this terrible thing had happened. So I guess my question for you, then, these are two really terrible cases. How did the case ultimately go cold for so many years?
Speaker 4: This was their bolt were pre DNA and DNA was just starting to become a thing. They found unknown male profiles on both victims clothing and then on the victims, and they were able to pair those and say it was definitively the same suspect. It was uploaded into the National DNA Clothed system in nineteen ninety nine early two thousand and there were no hits, so it just languished there sense and that's really how it became cold. And occasionally they would try to revive it with the media. Silent witnesses of allved. They tried different things to really get people to talk. It just the investigators did a great job of cataloging everything, but it just really had nothing to go on. The travailing opinion when we got to it was he has to be dad, and so at what point then do you join the investigation. You mentioned that you were in college before, ironically working on an accounting degree, but tell us a little bit about your joining the police force. So in I spent a couple of years auditing for a really large CPA firm, and I was really miserable. I was looking for something more. And again, it's a great career for some people, and that auditing is that traditionally it canapults you into other positions, whether you be his partner, work at a firm, a controller, CFO, that kind of thing. We could do a lot with it, but I just wasn't interested. I'd been paying to his partner material I'd done really well in the CPA exams, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. So I started testing with local police departments and I ended up out here in Phoenix. And I always joke because my dad lectured me two thousand miles from Illinois to Arizona, saying, what are you thinking? What are you doing? You have a college degree, you have a CPA, you have the world in front of you, and now you're going to be a beat cop. He was supportive, but at the same time he was kind of like, are you out of your mind? And so I said, now this is what I want to do. I always joke. I put down my briefcase and calculator, picked up a gun and a badge, and started in phoenics at the academy. Luckily, I had some great people that I worked with. I had a Marine Corps, a veteran that was my tatpool to the academy, and he taught me. It was kind of like Shawshank Redemption. I taught him how to write and spell, and he taught me how to shoot and basically how to stitch on my shoes. And I try to think it's not you don't learn about in college one on one you don't learn about going through a police academy. So it was a new experience. So fast forward. I had some detective assignment. I did patrol in South Phoenix, did a detective assignment in financial crimes, and then promoted a sergeant. Had my eyes sat on financial crimes, and then I ended up getting a transfer to the administrative I was an administrative sergeant for the commander and the violent crimes bureau. And the violent crimes bureau was divided amongst homicide, robbery, gangs, assaults. I really got to know the homicide lieutenant because he was burded out on Excel spreadsheets like I did. And we had in comment and so he said in two thousand and eight, he said, Troy said, there's going to be an opening in cold case homicide. Would you come over and take over the squad? And I said no. I said, I've already seen enough dead bodies in patrol and I want to go get my nerd on as a financial guy. And he said, is we could really use your organizational and detail nature of a CPA in cold case homicide? And I said, okay, we'll give it a shot. I'll give it a year, and once I got in at first. The first six months I thought, this is horrible. I've got two detectives. I've got twenty five hundred cases. They don't even exactly they don't even know how many cases we have. They think twenty five hundred. Im, there's just a mess. But it just ended up being this Leve affair and it just took it on almost like a baby, and we figured out how to review cases and really we're kicking butt. We were solving twelve to fifteen cold cases a year and back into the seventies and really had a great relationship with the lab, had great detectives, Rock and Rolling, And so how we got started on the Cant murders. Twenty eleven, I get a media records request. I go to print it out and I get yelled at by the commander's secretary and I say, yeah, she's a very nice person, but she's coin of troying. You just burned through X number of boxes and toner on the printer, and you just burned through X number of rings of paper. What are you doing? And I said, I just turnted out the calend murders because I needed to go through them and line by line and make sure we redacted them doing so, I realized, wow, this is how did we not ever solve this? How did we not figure it out? Should we assemble a team and solve it? And I think at first thought, Hey, I can solve it. I'm a CPN realized no, I need a team.
Speaker 5: One of the most interesting parts of the book is as you go around and describe assembling your dream team to help you solve this. And you pulled together so many different types of people and they all of course worked together really well to eventually solve the case. Would you what do you think is the main saying that got you that final break in the case.
Speaker 4: So fast forward. The case took us about three and a half years to work and I always tell people we could have put down the other twenty four hundred and ninety eight cases that we're working on, and to tell the survivor's family with families, Hey, we're only dedicating our time to the Canal murders. So we were working all these cases, doing all these court testimonies, doing all these cold case functions, but we're also working heavily on the Canal murders. So three and a half years we first took a look at the cases. Every good cold case starts with what did we miss? In the original case, who did we miss? And there were a lot in there that they missed because of again, DNA was not really a thing. So we flew all over the country and got DNA and that had its own challenges, and then we'd get excited. It was a roller coaster ride only to get to call from the lab of it's not him, and so it was almost like bodyblow if you're in box A over those three and a half years and after a while you're just like, wow, we may not ever solve this. We did have some great help along the way. We got to fly back and talk to the VIDOC Society, which is we've talked about as that group out of that think tank out of Philadelphia nationalon of Law Enforcement. This brilliant group of people that kind of ap signs on your case and kind of directs you, Hey, what do you miss? What did you do? What did you do wrong? And they helped us and blatched onto profiler. I'll leave that to the book. Richard Walter was his name, extremely eccentric. It just he's his own. I don't know, I don't know if you met Richard, but he's quite an eccentric, brilliant guy, very controversial. And then we ended up using genito genealogy. We got a call from doctor Colleen Fitzpatrick and this is twenty fourteen, and this is four years before the Golden State Killer and STENY'STD really hasn't talked about it, but we're really pioneers and using genetic genealogy to solve a serial killer case. And we used it on Miss Kings and it was a huge breakthrough.
Speaker 2: Tell us that story about Colleen reaching out to you, because Colleen's told us the story, but we'd like to hear it from your perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I again, we're body blow, head blow, we're just weary, and we get this call. I get this voicemail from one of my detectives, very in and sometimes I always joked as a sergeant when a detective really was didn't know what to do, they would just be like, oh, I'll give this to Serge. And so she forwarded with this email and said, hey, Serge, I really don't know what to do with this, but if you could, we could discuss it. And so it was basically Colleen and she said, hey, I'm going to be in town. I'm going to be staying at the Biltmore Resorts, and I'm going to be part of this LAPP DNA conference and I'm going to be lecturing, and I'd love to come talk to your squad. And so I immediately reached out. I started googlayer and figuring out who she was, and then I found out she had a PhD from Duke and was this brilliant person. And then I asked. I called over to Kelly at the lad who was my DNA supervisor counterpart, and I said to Kelly, I said, you know, look this about genealogy, my follow in law, the ancestry my dad does ancestry. Is there a correlation with law enforcement? She said yeah, I think it's going to be a thing. And she's I've been reading about it and this again, this is twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So she says, hey, I'll go. I had her team, her DNA team, Kelly's go talk to Colleen at the conference and give me a backstory to say, is she legit is? Can this before we even have her over to talk to us? Screen her out, so to speak? And she said, Troy, she's brilliant. I think she could help you.
Speaker 5: Very cool And for anybody who doesn't remember, Colleen Fitzpatrick is actually legitimately a rocket scientist, among the many other sterling qualities.
Speaker 4: That she has.
Speaker 5: And so when you met her, Troy, what did you think of her?
Speaker 4: She's this sweet older lady but just was very polished and spoke in a very direct manner. And I guess the feeling amongst my squad when she left was, Wow, that's awesome, But we really don't know Faul like she She explained it to us, but it completely went over our heads. And I just they say, we're a bunch of dumb cops, but we reasonably intelligent people. But yeah, she's a notch aboves most people. So how she takes a string of numbers or a strand and comes out with Ally's joke, Maybe it was the flux to past her from back to the future days. She puts it in there, She puts it in there, and then it spits out a surname. And the funny part of that whole thing was he wanted to charge us, and I knew as a sergeant. I'd been a sergeant long enough and played the government game. Aims that if she would do it on the house, then I could get it approved tomorrow. If she attached even a dollar to it. It was going to be this fight, this battle up to chain of command. And so for seven hundred and fifty dollars. We battled for about three months and tried to convince the upper chain that this was going to be a thing, that we had vetted it out. We had talked to the prosecutors, we talked to the lab we'd talked to her, and they really weren't giving her any great secrets of the investigation. She just wanted the numbers. Finally, they reenlighted it and she was able to do her faith.
Speaker 2: And seven hundred and fifty dollars is the biggest bargain in the history of law enforcement.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 2: It's not like she was asking for a lot of money, No, and.
Speaker 4: She deserved to get paid. I just knew the game, and I knew that if we could circumvent it. I also told her, I said, Colleen, the Canal murders are huge, and if you're this could make your career, This could make genealogy a sing And she said, I know, she said, but I'm sticking to it. Sever fifty dollars, and like I said, she deserved to get paid. And then so and we were we had volunteers wanting to write checks. We had we were going to take up a collection. But in government is marred with red tape. There's no way that even a private entity couldn't fund that. And we were getting whispers of voodoo and witchcraft, and you guys have lost your marbles. And to me, cold case has to be innovative. You have to. You can't just do what you did yesterday. You have to think outside the box and look at everything, put your ego at the door and say, let's go talk to the Vatox Society, let's go talk to Colleen. Let's use these experts and do innovative things. But that doesn't always go well in government because typically it's just what did we do ten years ago, We're going to do the same thing.
Speaker 5: So when Colleen did her saying put all the things through the flux capacitor, the surname that came out was Miller. Did that ring any bells for you guys? When she said, hey, it's somebody with the name of Miller. Did that immediately run up the red flags.
Speaker 4: I think the red flags were more of my extended family that were in town when I got the call, because I went screeching out of here to get to headquarters, out of my house to because I needed to do what the Vdocs Society told us and Richard told us was check the files. He's got to be in your files. Say this is a Bundi. They're always in the files. And so I had Mark, my organization detective. I said, Mark, would you go to the basement pull the millers and he said, came back and he's here you go. Would you like door closed or open? I'm like closing please, And so I spent the next few minutes looking the first couple of millers were I was like, nothing too exciting. And then I hit on this and it was filed six sixty eight and it was Brian Patrick's billow.
Speaker 2: And he had been a suspect in the early going of these murders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and after the second murder, so they did something brilliant and they put out that the police farmer did they put out so the second victim was redressed in a small girl's bodysuit, and so they took a replica of that and they put it out to the media and they said, is anybody know. They tried to trace back where it was bought and then where it could be purchased, and then they also again put it out the media and tips came in from that. One of the tips identified Miller as having that particular bodysuit in his possession right around the time of the second murder.
Speaker 5: Oh god, this guy. So yeah, let's get into the Brian Patrick Miller of it all. The guy has a pretty interesting set of hobbies outside of murdering people, and he's got a pretty interesting nickname which lends its title to your book, The Zombie Hunter. Explain the hobbies that lend itself to the name of the Zombie Hunter, please.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, well, Milner was a big part. He was a local celebrity. He was creating around as this Zombie Hunter persona. He was really into comic con and he was really into steampunk. And in fact, we took a lot of flak once we were throbing into Miller from those groups because they said, Hey, we don't want you to think that we're all bad, and I'm like, no, we don't think the draw bad. We just think that a bad guy is hiding amongst you hiding in plain sight. So if that was interesting. I didn't even know what steampunk was. I had to research it. Maybe because I'm older, I just didn't know. But it's pretty neat what they do. And again comic CON's neat, and it's pretty prevalent. But he had taken this tricked out. He'd bought a police card auction, tripped it out and put zombie Hunter across the back, and it looked like a police car. He was very smart. He didn't put it. There's a code in the Phoenix that says you can't have a certain color otherwise you're considered a police officer on your patrol car. So he had the other colors. If he had green and red, that was amazing. But we had this this mannequin in the back that was bloody, that was hanging out, and so it was just all this hyped up seeing this he had. He was taking pictures with police officers and they didn't know at the time that he was a serial killer. He's got this small look on his face in all the pictures, so it was just it was bizarre. If he had been some just Joe Small working as a circle k Sork it may not have been as bizarre, but it got really bizarre when he's part of this group and he's just parading around with his gatlong gun.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Mind over Murder. We'll be right back after this word from our sponsors. We're back here at mindover Murder.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like that was him taunting the police by having that police persona and the cruiser and the gun.
Speaker 4: Was that him basically offering a middle finger to the police. Do you think? Yeah? And so what of the profile and beatoc pulled us? He said, these guys love the very intelligent. They loved to do these things called sarcastic ruses. They'll basically try to They think they're much smarter than the police. Wait, and a lot of them, I hate to say it, they get away with it for years. Typically they eventually screw up most of them. But yeah, he was basically in essence, it was a sarcastic ruse of saying, I chilled these girls in horrific fashion years ago, and you guys have no clue. You're sitting here taking a picture with me. And he probably he enjoyed that. There was a thrill to him.
Speaker 2: It's almost beyond hiding in plain sight. He's really making himself the center of attention at these comic con and events around Phoenix. Wouldn't he work parties and that sort of thing too with his zombie hunter persona, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He would. And he was also for a period of time working as security at Saint Vincent's de Paul and so he you know, part of a tip that came in. He was stealing women's undergarments, which is typically something that for working their way up what the thet Ox Society called the Helix would say. And basically, again he was just he other than him being a really skinny dude when at the time of the murders had not in the military. He was the perfect fit for these crimes because I think I mentioned in the book that we were looking for this military badass, this person that should very practically and efficiently take over too strong athletic women and then get away with it and spend a lot of time with him. So he was not that. He looked to me, he looked a lot like Dahmer in the photos.
Speaker 5: Yeah he does. Yeah, very upsetting. Are there other local crimes that you suspect he might be good for it? Doesn't seem likely that he would have stopped it just too. Angela and Melanie talk a little bit about the other crimes that you think or are at least pretty sure that he got away with.
Speaker 4: So there's a horrific chase of a thirteen year old disabled girl that was her name was Brandy Meyers. She was living in a neighborhood and what we call the Sunny Slope area in kind of North Phoenix, and she was stowing around collecting books. And it's a sad story because her sister had gone not collecting books, collecting money for books, but she had gone selling books a week prior with her sister and her older sister actually was younger sister, but went around with her. And so Kristen decided not to go with Brandy that day and Brandy was never seen again. Her body's never been found. And this is something that Brian told his ex wife Amy when we interviewed Amy, that basically he had committed this crime, that he had pulled her into his house and basically in horrific details, how he killed her. So that what we know he's good for because we have a confession, we just can't it's through the spouse, and we it's a nobody commicide and those are difficult. And then we also think there's a girl murdered down in a rock concert and Tucson prior to our first murder. Her name was Diana Viccari and she was found in a trash jumpster with basically cut up pretty horrifically. I think I can't prove it, but my feeling is if it was Miller. And then there's another several other there were several other attacks in the state of Washington when he lived there that those are documented. He didn't end up killing those women, luckily they survived. And then there's another one in Tempe that's possibly all. She was beheaded, and I think twenty thirteen that's still outstanding, so I know. And then one of the things that resonates is the FBI profile said killer would not stop, and that was back I think they did that in nineteen ninety five or six, So it's okay, how did he I don't think he stopped. I think he did it. He just maybe got better at concealing and the evidence and that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: So talk to us about how you felt the day that Brian Patrick Miller was finally brought into custody. Did you have to run a victory lap around the around the police department, because I sure would have.
Speaker 4: We were so that our police department at the time, since we've since moved, but our was a tiny bo rundown, very ugly concrete building, and there was a beautiful, pristine lab across the street. So we were in a conference meeting for a go over a grant or something. It's pretty boring, pretty low level, and then all of a sudden, the door busted open, and it was Kelly from the lab and her team who were like, wait when you guys, we got we come to you because your lab is nice and this is a pit over here, so what are you doing here? She said, you got them. It's him, It's Miller, And so there were there was this look of this police and and just kind of again and so we have three and a half years of our lives we're working on this case. We all hugged. It was a moment of excitement, and then the wheels just came off. Once I told by Lieutenant you had everybody in there. You had like chiefs high five of each other, and just the best senn hundred fifty dollars we ever shed was one of them said yeah, we yeah, I told you yeah. And the wheels and then the swat team. There were a lot of people on the department that had that have kids, that saw what this guy did these women and they wanted to help. So you had people coming out of the woodwork, and so I think we had three SWAT teams alone to go to arrest him, and then a couple other SWAT teams go to his house. So it was amazing to see that kind of teamwork come coll ask although as a supervisor, we're trying to make sure it doesn't get out of control. As a serial killer investigation, you need to be very careful because this is going to be picked apart by defense attorneys as you move forward to trial.
Speaker 2: What was the actual flip of the switch there the day she came across from the beautiful lab building across the way. What had happened? What's the precipitating event that finally creates the link.
Speaker 4: So we had basically used a horase to get his DNA and then I'll leave that part for the book. But she came and basically pulled us said it was a direct match to the unknown male profiles or seamen basically from back in the day. The ninety two and ninety three was I don't know how many they get into like trillions, like one in a trillion chance that it's not him. So it was there was the Landslide. It was like, yeah, this definitely is him, Go get him. Kind was that before he does any more damage.
Speaker 5: I still have plenty of friends in Phoenix, and I remember a couple of them calling and texting and saying, oh my god, they finally got the Canal killer because they knew I was in true crime and very aware of it. But it took what felt like short of forever to get him into a courtroom. Talk a little bit about the really long process to get him into a courtroom and sort of the drama that included getting him there. And I know that COVID is at least a part of that, So talk a little bit about that process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because so capital murder cases, genuinely we're talking death penalty, it takes years and typically I think William my team said this will be about five years out before we see this go to trial. It did. It was, I was just but it ended up being eight pagonizing years for the family. There was COVID, like you said, but there's also a lot of legal maneuvering what I go home playing for Shenanigans. That bas we're just trying to figure out, basically, how to share his life and not get the deal death Kelly. To be honest, I was hoping he would lay everything on the table and then they would just put him in there for national life. He would tell everything else he's done in his life. But that wasn't up to me. That was up to the prostitutors and the families, and it was decided that he was definitely going to be a capital murder death penalty case, and our prosetutors, I must say, did a phenomenal job. Vincent Berdido and his team they just disappeared because they were going to get attacked at various levels and they were ready for every attack.
Speaker 5: So he pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. Do you buy the insanity for him?
Speaker 4: Yeah? His theory. Basically, they paid a psychologist a lot of money onto the sense side to put up the what William referred to as the longest PowerPoint ever created. It wouldn't have that's oar fastiest show, and so they basically said that he had this period where he blacked out, And so I thought about that. I'm like, Okay, if he blacked out during the murders, then how was he able to basically take the woman's head and then refrigerate it or freeze it or do whatever he did, and then drow it back in the canounts? And is he blacked out for ten days? Yeah, like it is to me, it just didn't make it didn't hold water. And then he's got it. If you go to his home, he's got a picture of a woman's head in the freezer on the front of his refrigerator. So it's okay, I do I'm not all this is not adding up to blacking out. No, this is this was savage, this was fantasy. This was and then everything in his house really painted a picture of the true diabolic creature that he is. This very much woman hating. He got his rocks off of killing and hurting women.
Speaker 2: Did he ever offer any additional motive? I know none of this is ever going to make sense to those of us that are saying he's saying and thoughtful people, but did anything come out in the interviews with him that indicated anything beyond his hatred of women.
Speaker 4: And I always think that there seems like with every serial killer there's a connection with their mother, and certainly that was paraded out on trial, and he set that to sense. In the interview, he kind of talked about how his mother mistreated him, and she, of all things, was a detention officer for the county where we live in Americapa County. So he described that he would beat her. She would beat him with his belt, the duty belt, and just all kinds of things. But again, I don't buy that too much because it's like, there's plenty of people that are mistreated and you know, and turn out to be decent citizens, not killing. And these were fantasies. And if you go back, there was a letter. There's so much to these investigations. They're just massive. But on his eighteenth birthday, his mom shows up at juvie and says don't let or shows up actually at a precinct and said, don't let him out of juvie. Look at this letter, and this letter basically detailed this plan, this is when he's seventeen, of how he's going to basically kill a woman he constructor and eater, so this is seventeen. He's fantasizing about this. So to me that he was we missed him in the system. There were judges in the juvenile system that said he had sexual deviancy issues. So we missed in a big way. And I say we the system because we probably can't obviously detain somebody well, especially once they're eighteen, but we should have done some more to help this kid poop.
Speaker 5: So I was very interested by the fact that Miller waved his right to a jury trial, which turned his case into a bench trial. And maybe this is again because I'm saying or reasonably so, I would have figured that with a jury trial you'd have a better chance of getting off unreasonable doubts, because at least one person in twelve might think, well, maybe that guy was terribly abused. Instead, his lawyer, I assume, allowed him to say, sure, let's make it into a bench trial. What did you think about that decision for him to waive a jury Entirely.
Speaker 4: My personal opinion was dumb. I just couldn't. I could. I still can't wrap my head around it. Why how would take those odds of one of the twelve creating a hung jury any day over going in front of a judge and let alone, if you knew that the judge was going to be Suzanne Cohen, who is a very seasoned sexual assault prosecutor, a homicide prosecutor, was very distinguished. She was very fair in the trial. But knowing you're up against that somebody that's not going to see your wello out of bs so to speak to me again, I would rather convince somebody on the jury that to feel sorry for me about how my mom has treated me and that kind of thing. Still to this day, don't know why he did that.
Speaker 2: That was one of the most baffling things for me too. I could not believe he decided to go with a bench trial. You've just got the one judge sitting up there. And as you said, Judge Cohen was fair, but she I had also probably seen it all and heard it all in her years as a prosecutor and then as a judge. I thought, speaking of insane, I thought, this guy has set himself up to have a zero chance of escaping responsibility for these horrific murders.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, I think he Sometimes they think they're smarter than everybody else. And maybe he thought he was going to gain the system. I thought his defense team did a great job of muddying the water enough to basically create a Hey could could he have? He had all these issues. I was obvious so they did that. They were just trying to spare his life. They didn't want the death penalty. I don't blame them. I think again, this is all directed by him, and I think he sinspired them. I heard and basically for his appeals, he's said no more of you guys.
Speaker 5: Did you ever have a moment in the courtroom where you were like, oh God, I don't know how this is going to go, or were you sure that you know it was going to go?
Speaker 4: In law enforcement's favor, there's that old saying it ain't over till you know it's over, over till the fatty sings, kind of saying I was not sure. I thought we'd put together a great case. But I've been to enough trials to see the technicality create a major issue. So I think William and I. William had to attend every day of the trial. He's one of my detectives, and I was there most of the time. But I family responsibility. That kind of thing, so I couldn't be there all the time, but we were both like fingers crossed through that. When Susan Cohen, judge was reading the verdict, we're just like, I hope this goes away for the first Listen to the families they've been drowell.
Speaker 2: Did they attend the trial itself?
Speaker 4: Actually, they were able to attend virtually. The Melanie, the younger victim's mother, was a nurse and she had moved. She said, I can't live in Phoenix anymore after the murder, as she had moved to another state, and Angela, the first victim's mother, had never moved. They were quite away the way, so they again they were able to attend virtually, And I think that was good for them not to have to really see him, but not to have to be in a court with him.
Speaker 2: That actually might be the ideal solution for a situation like that, or it would be horrible to be sitting day after day, probably feet away from the man that was charged with killing their daughters. And maybe the virtual setup is maybe the best interim step. They could see and hear what was going on without having to be in the room with this greet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, and that brings up that I've become friends with Harley Feldman, and Harley his daughter was brutally murdered in Scottsdale, Arizona, in I believe it was twenty thirteen or twenty fourteen. They ended up solving that using familial DNA in twenty eighteen. It was the first case of Arizona that had been used to use familiar DNA. But he's been in trial. I think it's still willing to trial, and I feel a horrible he is. Him and his wife are phenomenal people, just get solid people, and to have to go through that and see the killer is to me beyond I agree.
Speaker 5: I like to sume idea, were the families given the opportunity to make victims impact statements and did they Actually.
Speaker 4: They did, And I've only my mother died during this investigation, and I don't I'm not a crier. I'm a tough cop. But that was that brought me to well, very close, if not to tears. And one of the statements, especially from Melanie's sister, said, if you tune into this trial for the first three weeks or after the first three weeks, you would have thought that that Brian Miller was the victim, and she refocused this back to her sister and Angela the other victim. And I thought that Vincent Berdino did a great job. He during his closing statements, he put up pictures of both girls, both women, and said, these are the true victims. So it refocused everything back to them because it was central. That's so many months were spent by the good doctor with the parapoint talking about Brian's illnesses and his mental health and that kind of faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the two of us are both just rolling our eyes. This had to be so horrible to listen to this doctor go on for days about how what a tough life that Brian Patrick Miller has had and how he deserves every consideration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the one. In fact, one of my sarcastic detectives coined the phrase the doctor talks a lot. That's what he said, and it was I'm sure the guy his heart's in the right place. He had the job to do, but I know he made thousands of dollars on the back. So the citizens trying to basically show that Miller was this good person. He's quiet and he's reserved, and he'd never heard a fly and look he's got this daughter. But meanwhile, I'm just I can't escape what I saw in the house and what I saw on the crime scene photos, and I'm just like, Wow, this is a true monster. You can't let all the spoken beers see through that.
Speaker 2: Were any of the original detectives that had worked the earlier incidents, because we're way back to the early nineties with Angela and Melanie, Were any of them still around?
Speaker 4: Yes, A gentleman by the name of Russ Davis. He was an original case agent, so it was his case he had retired and talked to him. He was a tell of a good detective, very thorough. He retired in ninety seven, so about five years after the first murder, in about four after the second, and that case haunted him. He worked the crap out of those cases. Mike Miischliss was the scene agent. He had retired in twenty eleven kind of or twenty ten when we took over the case. Both and matter of fact, Mike testified at trial and he did a great job on the scene. I always say, if the original investigators and the lab and the CSI, if they don't do their job right on the front Edge, then we've got no shot on the back end as a cold case team. Pseudos to them for doing what they did over the years, and even the sotos, the lab work, everything was just had to be sixteen otherwise it would have been attacked.
Speaker 5: Miller was given the death penalty as his punishment deservedly. I would say, do you think he's actually going to see an execution data. I know that penalty cases get a ton of appeals. Do you think we're actually going to see a day where we have an evening news story that Brian Patrick Miller has been executed.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. I look at the appeals that I look at the different political governors get in say I'm not doing them, or I'm doing them. This last governor, I think two have so far have actually been executed under her watch. But Miller, I don't even know his first appeal has gone through. I don't think it's gone through Edge where so it just takes it just takes years, as a twenty years. I wish that he would just lay it all out there and tell all and get it off his chest. And that would be because we never did find and we kept telling us that beat Ox society that these guys have a layer where they go back to and they relive, and they fantasize, and they keep pictures and videos that we never were able to find that, and I cover that in the book. We beat the bushes, so to speech, and did not sign anything like that. But my guess is he has it somewhere. Why not.
Speaker 5: The book is Chasing Down the Zombie Hunter by Troy Hellman. Troy, where can everybody find your book?
Speaker 4: It's available in all formats on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, Simon and Schuster published it, and even in Walmart, Target. Pretty much any major or any book retailer has it. I would appreciate it. And if you'll always say if you like the book, please give me a good rating on Reads and or Amazon.
Speaker 2: And we're going to be seeing you at Crime Con in a matter of a few months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited. It'll be my first time and as a great event with a lot of people that are trying to do good things to basically spread the word and help with these cases. We are looking forward to seeing you there. Troy. Thank you for joining us today. Thank you both.
Speaker 5: That is going to do it for this episode of Mind Ever Murder. Thank you so much for listening. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Mind Over Murder is a production of Absolute Zero and Another Dog Productions.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Bill Thomas and Kristin Dilley.
Speaker 1: Our logo art is by Pamela Arnois.
Speaker 2: Our theme music is by Kevin McLoud.
Speaker 1: Mind Over Murder is distributed in partnership with crawl Space Media.
Speaker 2: You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Speaker 1: You can also follow our page on the Colonial Parkway Murders on Facebook.
Speaker 2: And finally, you can follow Bill Thomas on Twitter at Bill Thomas five six.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to mind Over Murder.