Speaker 1: Welcome. Just hand Away Tagalog Sermon Podcast your daily dose of inspiring from heartfelt tagalog sermons from different characters and speakers all over the Philippines. We've hopen this podcast finds you in good shape and now here's your message.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a podcast or from Victory. The outworking of a disciple of life is a spirit empowered life. Learn more about this message and week six of our series Make Rooms.
Speaker 3: When I was still lost and not yet a Christian, every time somebody would invite me to church, I would say no for three reasons. One, I have three mindsets that I have Mali church. One is that I thought church is boring, so I don't want to be bored, so I don't want to go to church. Second, I thought the church is just for older people. I'm not sure if young people have a place in church. And third, I thought church is for good people, but for people like me who is I know I'm not good, I'm not righteous, so I'm not ready for church. And praise God, God changed that mindset and I was eventually invited to church, and I discovered that church is completely the opposite of what I was thinking. I realized church is not boring. Well, I'm convinced no, church is not boring. I thought church is boring. Mindset compuna. Church is a gathering that I attend once a week. I realize eventually the church is beyond that. It's not just the meeting that I attend. There's more to church than just attending a service, because the church is the people.
Speaker 1: It's not a building. It's not this mall.
Speaker 3: It's not can third floor for floor Palata and then sab Bahamali Patai is a third floor Sa Toy Kingdola second Florians. But anyway, we're in the building. But the church is not the building, it's the people.
Speaker 1: And so uh.
Speaker 3: And also church is not just for older people, it's also for the younger generation. And that the church is really not for the good people.
Speaker 1: It's actually for the bad people.
Speaker 3: So if you're wondering why that person is here in church today.
Speaker 1: Now you know. But we all need Jesus.
Speaker 3: It's not just people who are far away from Christ, but even those who think they are close to Him.
Speaker 1: Now we are.
Speaker 3: I want to go straight to the word today to make sure that will end on time. But we are now in the last installment of our series and we're talking about the Holy Spirit. We said side six weeks talking about the Holy Spirit because we want to understand the person in the works of the Holy Spirit. I shared at the beginning of this series that I grew up knowing and not knowing, but hearing.
Speaker 1: About the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 3: I was taught to pray in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. So I grew up reciting it without me really understanding what I'm saying. Then when I became a Christian, I understood the importance the person and the necessity of the Holy Spirit. That I cannot live as a Christian without the Holy Spirit, that it will be empty religion without the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 1: So today we are at the.
Speaker 3: Last installment and we're trusting that this series really is helping you in terms of your walk with God. Yesterday we had a shooting, a video shoot or one of our trainings here in church.
Speaker 1: And one thing I.
Speaker 3: You know, I realized because say in a train Ami mcvlog, you know, mug.
Speaker 1: Shooting, and here Helen you are saying you need may screing.
Speaker 3: You means some jolly person camera and also happen Baramo and becomas natural Paramascan and yesterday we struggled the first few minutes trying to make ourselves really comfortable in front of the camera. It's not really easy, but you know, we're doing this not because we need a sideline and extra kita, but because we want to be effective as a church.
Speaker 1: We need to evolve as a church.
Speaker 3: We kind of just keep doing the things that we're doing just because it worked in the past.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean.
Speaker 3: That we can just keep doing it and hope that it will continue to be effective and reaching to the people that God is calling.
Speaker 1: Us to reach.
Speaker 3: And we all know our behavior today maramitaios now or us in ubusun atens a harabnan screen, whether that's Facebook, whether that's Instagram, that's where people are today. And if we are going to be the light and salt of this world, we need to be where the people are. And so we're trying to learn although it's not easy, although it's not convenient for us, we're trying to do it again because we don't want to become irrelevant as a church. Because God called us to be part of his mission. You know, there's a book that we are assigned to read today by pastor den is our boss.
Speaker 1: And the title of this book is Beyond Charity.
Speaker 3: By John Perkins, and I like to quote a portion of this book talking about what's happening to some churches today. He said, we have turned the church into an institution that serves us instead of God. In fact, the church that we are most committed to is the church that will meet most of our personal and family needs. This is known as consumer Christianity, wherein many Christians are becoming experience seekers rather than effective ministers of the gospel. We're jumping from one church to another depending on what church.
Speaker 1: Is meeting our needs better.
Speaker 3: Sanmas Magundu music, Sinemas Magandu preaching, sin Mus maganda young kids church.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: We want to be better in serving people, but that should not be the main consideration why we stay in church. We stay in church because God placed us in this church and there is a role, a function that God is expecting us to play. I like this calle from Henry Martin's a missionary to India. He said, the spirit of Christ is the spirit missions. The nearer we get to Him, the more intensely missionary we become. You know, one way we can know we are going deeper in our walk with God is when we find ourselves becoming active in bringing people to Jesus, because the nearer we get to him, the more we catch his heart for people. And there's no way we can continue to ignore the people around us, the people that were intimidated with or irritated with.
Speaker 1: Even if we.
Speaker 3: Don't like people, we cannot ignore them the closer we get to Jesus, because Jesus loves people and the reason Jesus came and died on the cross, the Bible says for God, who love the world. So the more we become close to him, the more we catch his heart for people. And our God is a missional God. That's one thing that we can know about him, and he wants the Church to be on mission. And that's what we want to talk about today, us the church, not just enjoying our relationship with God, but us as a church on mission with God. So if you have your Bible with you, we're going to read from Acts chapter one, beginning in verse eight. There's just one verse for all of us today.
Speaker 1: It says, but you will receive power. Everyone say power.
Speaker 3: When the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judaea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. Let's just pray right now, Lord, we thank you for your word today. We thank you that your word is active, it's alive, it's powerful. One verse can change us from the inside out. So Lord, I thank you, Lord the True have a word for us today, for the people who are here for the first time, and for the people who've been in church for many years.
Speaker 1: Lord, we thank you that you are going to just reinforce.
Speaker 3: A conviction. Lord, you will enlighten us and open. Lord God, just a revelation once again, in order for us to understand Lord and be on fire again.
Speaker 1: With the calling we received from you in Jesus. They may pray. Amen. I'm not going to spend.
Speaker 3: Minutes a long time explaining the context the verses before the scripture, because in the first few weeks we already talked about the context of this verse where Jesus rose from the dead and for forty days he appeared to his disciples to prove them that he's really alive. And in that forty days he talked about the kingdom, not just about salvation, but what God wants to do here on earth. And then he asked them a question concerning a question that is connected to their top concern that time.
Speaker 1: It's connected to their political.
Speaker 3: Concern, economic concern, concern about their ethnicity. And we can all relate to that today because we are all in church today with our different concerns. So many of you here, you have a concern today. Maybe for some of us, we are very concerned about politics in our nation, or maybe we are concerned about our finances as a family, or concern about the business or relationship. When they asked their question to Jesus, this is the answer that he gave them. Their concern was valid. But there is something bigger than just the need at hand. And sometimes there's a tendency for us to be so caught up with the concern of the moment that we miss out on what is bigger and what's more important in our lives. And here's what Jesus told them, But you will receive power. And I want to highlight three words for us today. Three words I want to highlight in order for us to get the message of Jesus.
Speaker 1: First one is the word you, he.
Speaker 3: Said, but you Okay, can you please turn to the person say the next you tell that person you Because Jesus was talking not just to the early disciples, this message is for you and me today. Maybe you're wondering, uh, sinebato manata is up Jesus and about profile and manata anata, you know the.
Speaker 1: People that is talking to.
Speaker 3: According to the critics, there's a verse in the Bible when they were describing the disciples of Jesus. They said, they are ordinary people who are unschooled, meaning they don't have formal training in scriptures, just like ninety nine percent of us here today. They are unimpressive and they have imperfect lives. If you read about the story of Peter, if you learn about the story of James, these people have issues. They are imperfect, and they are not trained in the scripture, just like you and me today. He was talking to them and he's giving this message so the same way with us. If you are sitting there, imagine Jesus talking to you, you who have imperfect life, You have issue you and then he talked about this verse. You know, I remember Matthew chapter nine, verse thirty six. One time when Jesus was talking to a crowd in a gathering like this. The Bible says in Matthew nine, verse thirty six, when he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
Speaker 1: It was a mixed group of people.
Speaker 3: There are rich and poor, young and old, educated uneducated.
Speaker 1: God felt the same way. He felt compassion for him. They are just the same.
Speaker 3: They have the same issues, they have the same problem, they have the same spiritual condition.
Speaker 1: That's why Jesus felt the same way.
Speaker 3: You know, many people were stunned and left asking why when two famous people died, actually committed suicide this month, Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade, and a lot of people are following them. Many articles were written about them. But there's this one article from Time magazine entitled Anthony Bourdain, Kate Spade and the Dangers of envying perfect lives. And I find this article insightful. There's an excerpt I want to read.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 3: Bourdain's suicide, which followed shortly after that of facts and designer Cage Spade, was a one two punch to our belief that there are some people who are living the perfect life, that each of them chose to end an existence that to outsider seems so idyllic and and viable. Is a mystery to people, especially since these were not teenagers or lost twenty somethings, but two people who might reasonably be expected to have reached some sort of self knowledge. Some people are dreaming of their job and their life. I mean, for many women, they are saying, if I only have her business, can you imagine I'm business moll bags, shoes, clothing. You have family, you have successful career, you have a global brand. This you have everything that many people are dreaming of. Yet why And then Anthony Bourdain, A lot of people are dreaming to have this job of traveling around the world, tasting their food and receiving all the awards and wealth.
Speaker 1: And they both took their life.
Speaker 3: So now I like the last portion of the article because he said, of course there's a lot of details that we don't know about them, but what can we learn about stories like this? And first one at the tail end of that article, he said, first one is that it's wrong to envy other people, especially people who have seemingly perfect lives and Instagram. We can't envy other people because God has given us our own life, and we have to be grateful about it. You know, one of the things I'm trying to teach my daughter right now, eight years old is to always find something to be grateful about every day. You have to appreciate the life that you have rather than dreaming every day of living someone else's life. And another thing is said is lesson we can learn is that we need to have more compassion because sometimes when we look at other people, especially the rich, we think that they don't need anything. There's no reason for me to show compassion. But if we can just look beyond the looks and the clothes and the cars and the house and see inside, we will see a person who is in need of Christ. That's why Jesus, when they look at the crowds, he said, he felt compassion on them because all of us have the same need. All of us have the same spiritual condition. And Jesus said, apart.
Speaker 1: From me, you have nothing.
Speaker 3: Imperfect people, you he said, and then he said, and you will receive power.
Speaker 1: We see power.
Speaker 3: How many of you here you want to have power? Ilenus said, you need to put three as mahalipad. You want extraordinary power? But here's the good news. The Bible says, if you have the Holy Spirit, you have power. You know, the Christian life is not easy. It's not easy to be a Christian. How many of you can agree. I've been a Christian for many years, and I tell you it's not always easy to be a Christian. It's I love being a Christian, but it's not always easy to be a Christian. It's not always easy to wait for the answer to your prayer. I know some people who are praying for an answered prayer for ten years already. I tell you it's not easy. It's not always easy to say no to temptation. It's not always easy to stand for what is right. It's not always easy to do what is good, even when people are not appreciating you.
Speaker 1: It's not always easy.
Speaker 3: But the Christian life is not just hard, it's actually impossible to live without the help of God. Without divine empowerment, there is no way we can measure up to the life that God is calling.
Speaker 1: Us to live.
Speaker 3: We need power, and the goodness is with the Holy Spirit, we have power. That's why we can do what God is calling us to do. We can forgive, we can be generous. We can reach out to people. We can be selfless because God has given us the power. Power is the divine ability. That's what it means when we say the word power. It's divine ability.
Speaker 1: You know. It's a home.
Speaker 3: So and enjoying a time. I'm in you know, son call a three years old. You know, we enjoy so much swimming. That's what we do today. As much as we can. We would do our best to swim. I have a picture of my three year old son. His name is Jackson and water five feet six feet and.
Speaker 1: Floater big. That was because and it would do that repeatedly. I enjoy moments like that.
Speaker 3: But sometimes, you know, would put this floater and then I will just let him float in the water.
Speaker 1: And this floater.
Speaker 3: Don't only make sure that he will not drown, it enables him to move around. He can actually go from one place to another because of this floater. But in reality, on his own he can't do that as so, but with the floater, not only that is he don't end up getting drowned, he is able to move.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is.
Speaker 3: That God did not only save us. He did not only give us salvation. He gave us the power so he can we can join him in his mission. That's why, as Christians, we are not supposed to just make sure we are safe and wait for heaven. We're supposed to be moving today. We should be part of his movement, and He has given us power.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 3: That's the experience of the apostle Paul in Second Christians, Chapter twelve, verse nine, he said, but he said to me, my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. We all have our own weakness. Hey, Elen, uid to make because you're feeling your weakness? Helen, who saying you detail and weakness new food? You know, in the world we try our best to hide our weakness. We don't want people to know our weakness. We make extra effort to show to the world that we're okay, that everything is okay. What I like about Christianity is that in Christ it's okay not to be okay. That that in Christ we don't have to be ashamed of our weakness. We can actually boast about our weakness. I can say that I'm not good in this area. I struggle with patience. You know why, because my weakness is an avenue for me to experience Christ's power. Our weakness should not hinder us from bringing people to Christ, because our weakness is our venue to experience God's power. That's why Paul said, I boast gladly about my weakness, because in my weakness that's where I experience God's power and a weakness. More maybe if some of us maybe were saying in the whole relational natae, or maybe in Diajo mcgilli magsalitai. But you know, there's a verse in the Bible before I forget First Corintians, chapter two, verse four to five. Paul testified to that that's also his experience. He said, in my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the spirit and power. Paul said, I'm not a gifted speaker. I was not a born communicator. So every time I speak, it's not a showcase of my great ability to speak. Every time I speak, it's a showcase of God's ability to empower people like me that even though I'm not good God can use me to speak this message in such a way that people can come to know Jesus.
Speaker 1: The Bible says, but when you receive the Holy Spirit, you will receive power. You know. I have this.
Speaker 3: Colleague, okay, say men Hong Kong work before it's a U built and panelampot as a savior.
Speaker 1: I have a picture of him.
Speaker 3: We were able to work together for ten years. He's used to be part of my staff of campus missionaries, and when I was there, this was one of the teaching moments I had with God, my leadership development with God.
Speaker 1: When we were working together.
Speaker 3: I know he was called to be a campus missionary, but in my mind, is not cut out to be a campus director. If you're a campus director, if you are in one local church, you know we have we're in eighteen locations right now.
Speaker 1: We have one in Alabama. We have at the fourth.
Speaker 3: If you're the campus director in one area, you're in charge and given the assignment to oversee our campus ministry work in the area, all the campuses.
Speaker 1: So I have this picture of.
Speaker 3: A campus director that if you're going to be a campus director.
Speaker 1: You have to be like this and like this and like this.
Speaker 3: So every time we're going to pray for a new campus director.
Speaker 1: I don't pray for him.
Speaker 3: This was a long time ago in a Ganie Lloyd.
Speaker 1: I learned my lesson.
Speaker 3: Because in my mind during that time, I was just trying to help people find their sweet spot. I'm just trying to put people where I feel like they are gifted by God to serve, not realize saying that in the I'm already boxing people. Actually, until there was a time when circumstances, situation happened that this is the only choice we have and we need to give him an opportunity. Fast forward, to my surprise, he became a very successful campus director. He's actually assigned in Santa Rosa today. And not only that, our ministry work grew in that area, it multiplied in three locations, and now not only that is in charge of Santa Ross is actually going around our different eighteen locations training our different campus directors how to be effective campus missionaries. What I learned about doing the work of God is that it's not about our ability, but it's our willingness to respond to God's.
Speaker 1: Ability that matters.
Speaker 3: It's not about us, It's about the power of the Holy space. It's not how good you are, but how willing you are to be used by God. How many of you here you're willing to be used by God. I have an encouragement for you today. What is your weakness? The Bible says, My grace is sufficient for you, and My power is.
Speaker 1: Made perfect for your witness.
Speaker 3: Last thing I wanted to talk about as we end is the word witness.
Speaker 1: He said you. It's talking to you.
Speaker 3: Whether you are in church for just a month, whether you're you have the title of a victory group leader or not, God is calling you. God is talking to you, and God is telling you you have power to witness. A witness in English is somebody who testify dynama, court room drama. There may man the testimony, mana and crimen. We have the opportunity to go to Taiwan.
Speaker 1: Last month.
Speaker 3: Last month about this month, it was ten years in the making.
Speaker 1: Sin the pastor Larry.
Speaker 3: They'd been talking Sabinella some pung Ta Na Tayahu plantinum church Sanam karanaim Chansna out of the country together with our wives after ten years.
Speaker 1: Than Yarishano. First time for me to go to Taiwan. I'd been to China. I'd been to Hong Kong, but personal bias.
Speaker 3: When they went to Taiwan, I enjoyed it so much, even though I stayed there for three days.
Speaker 1: Only.
Speaker 3: When I came back, people are asking me, how's Taiwan? And I told them about my experience, what I saw, the food I ate grabbing ma street food, seventy pezus fifty psa rap, so I was. I was convincing them, try it, try it magabankan piece of air, go go, because it's so bron you know what, I realize. We speak boldly of the things we believe deeply. If you're so convinced about something you talk about it, you can help yourself. That's why if you're a Christian, and if Jesus is everything to you, if Jesus is the love of your life, no one will be able to stop you from talking about him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a witness of this.
Speaker 3: But you know, in the Bible, the word witness and the original Greek word, it's not just about somebody who testify about what he saw.
Speaker 1: But in the Bible, the word.
Speaker 3: Witness is someone who carries a message on behalf of another, somebody who's willing to die for the message. I'm not willing to die for the message of Taiwan. The witness we're talking about here is somebody who's carrying a message from someone that is willing.
Speaker 1: To die for it. That's what happened to the disciples.
Speaker 3: If you study church history, you will learn that the disciples of Jesus, many of them suffered violent death for the refusal of stopping to preach the gospel to people. Peter was crucified upside down.
Speaker 1: John was given a hot oil treatment.
Speaker 3: Boiling water with oil. You have oil treatment, breach. They're willing to die for the message.
Speaker 1: Witness.
Speaker 3: Are you a witness for Christ? Are you bold in speaking about Jesus if we really have this relationship, if you really experience Christ? I mean, how can I not talk about Christ, the God who saved me, the God who took me out from the mud, from the dark, the God who helped me get out of my insecurity, of my addiction, of my hopelessness. How can I stop talking about Jesus, the God who died for me.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't stop talking.
Speaker 3: If you really experience Jesus, you will talk about him with boldness greater than the boldness you have talking about your business, or your hobby, or your travels or your.
Speaker 1: Family witness for Christ.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm reading this book right now by Pastorized Brooks. The title of this book is The Human Right. And I like this book so much because there are so many people today who are passionate about different areas of justice, of injustice, actually gender, race, classes.
Speaker 1: Of people, the border issue in the US.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are so passionate about different areas of injustice today. They are pushing their agenda in Facebook. A lot of people are becoming ambassador of these things. But the question is what can really end in justice?
Speaker 1: What is the solution?
Speaker 3: What can be done to really stop the injustice that we see? And if you think about it, the ultimate solution is not a change in policy. The ultimate solution is not change in leadership. The ultimate solution is not change in our economy. The ultimate solution is change in the hearts of people. Because even if we change the environment and the external, if the hearts of people committing injustice is not going to change, it's just going to be cyclical. It's just going to repeat again and again. The only person who asked the cure is Jesus, and the ultimate solution for all the injustice we see is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the good news that Jesus came died on the cross so that you and I not only to be forgiven of our sins, but to be set free from the power of sin. Only the Gospel as the power to solve injustice and to deal with it at its core.
Speaker 1: That's the message that you and I have more than anything we can do for this world. The greatest thing we can do is bring the Gospel to people. If you have the cure.
Speaker 3: For a terminal disease, if you have the cure for a disease that's killing people, would you keep it to yourself?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I like what Pastor I said. The ultimate human right is for people to hear the Gospel. If we believe that this is the way, the.
Speaker 1: Truth and the life.
Speaker 3: In retrospect, the ultimate injustice we can do is not share the Gospel to the people around us. Can you imagine par Make is dying and I have the cure, but I did not share it.
Speaker 1: I kept it to myself. That's in justice.
Speaker 3: That's why he said the ultimate human right is the right of every person to hear the gospel. We have a message that can change not only the temporary situation of people, but their eternal destiny. That's the message we proclaim, you know, as I as we end, I'd like to read secon Timothy chapter one, verse seven, and this is Paul exhorting the belief. Verse he said, for God gave us a spirit, not a fear, but a power, love and self control. You know, there are three things that hinders Christians. Not all these are not the only things that hinder us, but the top three, in my opinion, that hinders Christians from preaching the Gospel to others. One is fear, what people will say to them, panapa if I feel fear. Second is shame, what if they know about my past? What if they know about my struggle? But we learned earlier that our struggle is actually a platform for us to testify about the power of Christ to use imperfect people like you and me. And third is the unwillingness to suffer. People are avoiding inconvenience. People today are doing everything they can to avoid pain. A Yomah hassel. Selfishness is hindering the gospel from moving forward. But I like what Paul said, we did not receive a spirit of fear. We're not supposed to be paralyzed by fear people's opinion. We are not supposed to be held hostage by fear, he said. But we receive power.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 3: God loves you regardless of your past. God is so in love with you, and that's all that matters. And we're given the power to control, deny ourselves, die to ourselves every day so that we can sacrifice so that more people can know Jesus.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 2: You just sort of mess from Victory. For more messages like these or to access of the resources, please visit our website at Victory dot org dot pH or like our page on Facebook at facebook dot com slash victoryph.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: We hope that you enjoyed today's episode.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to share and subscribe to this podcast for more.
Speaker 3: God bless you all.