Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services in Sure your most Prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera with me today is my usual Wednesday, Guy Blake, I you're from Southern Arizona, sports tourism and film with thy I know a bunch of other things. Why don't you promote the other stuff?
Speaker 3: I mean, we've got a Winter League coming right, I can't say too much yet or we're going to have a press conference on the eighteenth. It looks like, oh good, that will be all sent out. But yeah, we're working on that. We've got a big meeting tomorrow, gover comms and super exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that it's kind of just dotting the eyes, crossing the t's and knowing what to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we had in our meeting last week. We spoke about it a little bit and we've got some talking points. But I think instead of me leading that charge, it'd be great if the ownership can do that and then all follow suit. And I think Sarah Horvata Ko is going to do the same. And but you know, I mean, let's face it, we haven't had a permanent anchor tenant at that kind of level of professional baseball at Keno since twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Can you at least say when starting will happen? Start season starts in October? Okay, yeah, okay, great? You also have one his final days in Tucson. The last couple of weeks has been I've been emotional, Steve. I bet you're kidding because because leaving Okay, get you your favorite meal?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Call it the castle? What are you sad? As?
Speaker 3: I mean, has it it's set in obviously at this point, it's been something you've been working on. We tried to say it earlier last week and I got shut down immediately because we weren't able to say it publicly. But I mean, because from our standpoints, really exciting for whatever that opportunity may be, right, Yes, and it's a huge it's a huge chance, an opportunity for you. It's also just a huge move in life. So are you nervous a little bit? Have you lost any sleep over?
Speaker 2: No? Been more? Actually, how much has your mom cried? A lot? Oh?
Speaker 3: It's going to be but not as much as my brother. No, your brother's cried more. Oh yeah, I asked him that last week. It's going to be the he said, his brother, his brother.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a little bit surprised about that.
Speaker 3: Now, Steve, is that weird that his family likes him and yours doesn't like you? Is that still repeat that? I don't know your family situation to do it here, but yeah, that's amazing, man, It's very exciting, very exciting, mean, Steve.
Speaker 6: Steve before the show asked me how many students, former students, whatever you want to call alumni have found a job within the field of journalism within my class? And I said, well, I can name one, maybe two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I asked you that question a couple of months ago, right, I mean, it's not an easy field to get into.
Speaker 2: There was no jobs.
Speaker 3: The fact that you're doing it, I mean almost immediately after graduating is extremely impressive.
Speaker 2: I think you did it, probably not as right as you as I'd like, but you started early enough and twelve many times, as I tell you, did you get to apply for a job. Applying for a job because you got to beat out not just the people here, you got to beat the people out there too, uscs as hues blah blah blah because they're looking for jobs too. So no, good, good for you, Good for you. You'll you'll be fine. You'll be fine once you get there and you unload your stuff and you say, Okay, it's the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that first three months is a real mother and then after that, like you start to settle in and yeah, it's it's easy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One, that's why you went to school. I mean, you went to school for a reason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we talked about that's that's what I've been talking to my family. But I said, I want to do something with this.
Speaker 2: I want it.
Speaker 6: Might as well go for it now. It may not be what I'm doing in life, but I at least got to try.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, what did you want to do when you grew up? I want to be a professional baseball players? Okay? And you did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but like that was that? That's your life? I mean that's a rare circumstances. Yeah, Like I never say enough.
Speaker 2: You'll do that kind of You can even latched onto a professional team If.
Speaker 3: I don't have that interest in me, I just knew I wanted to agree that I agree it. Yeah, okay, I think what I'm doing right now is my dream scenario able to help the community. In two sents, but getting back to one, you're right, you're at the age too right now where who cares? You're so young, like you go make your mistakes, go fail, like you don't have a family to take care of, Like this is the greatest time of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, without question, because you're stepping into a workforce. You have a job.
Speaker 3: Fifty bucks a week is good, Like you'll figure it out, you'll make it work, right.
Speaker 2: True, So no, that's exactly right. It is the best. You don't have a family to worry about. You know. Also, you know when I go play poker or whatever, and I have the kids playing poker, and you know, they're hot shots and they're good. Actually you gamble, it's it says yeah, they say, yeah, this is what kind of you know? Well, this and stuff like that is are you married, you have kids? They say, no, you haven't gambled? Yeah yeah, yeah, this little stuff you're doing here, I was spinning a chamber of my gun in the party. You have a house to go to, Yeah, just what it is? Well, thanks everybody for listening. Welcome back, my first show in a week. I was out. I had a little surgery here and I'm allowed to come outside and play. So here I am. Thanks everybody for being concerned last week or the last few days. I'm okay so far. So here we go. A lot to talk about, right, a baseball team. You're closer to that than I am. Blake the Chip kind of works his magic at this time of year. Yeah, he kind of does really well, kind of slumps and then regroups, and that's been the case this year. Yeah. I mean, did you guys watch the championship game, Big twelve? I did not.
Speaker 3: I was impressive. They fought. I mean it was one nothing. Then Andrew hit a bomb in the nineth Indy and it tied up. We call those pumps, right, hit a pump in the ninth inning and tied up big, big, big hit, And then they secured it with another run in the next inning and came back or I think two innings after that. When I go twelve, there was ten was a ten yes in the next inning. Sorry, I did watch it, by the way. Just a phenomenal game, great, great show of grit and grind from that team. I think they can do some damage. I think that that bullpen looks a lot better than I thought it did the start of the season.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if I talked to you this, because I've talked to it with the guys all the time. I've done it for years now since Jay momentum one. Do you believe in it? And are we here with it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We've argued about this all the time. I believe in momentum.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know it's worked for me, like I've gone both ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I call it a run. So do they have momentum? And the team they're playing, do they have momentum? Yeah? So you know what I'm saying. My point is either you're good or you're not good, and you're gonna win that day because both teams, guess what has momentum or a.
Speaker 3: Moment Yeah, they're both stepping into the same kind of atmosphere, right, the same culture that they have.
Speaker 2: What's happened.
Speaker 3: But I just think the I think you've as talent is a little higher. It should be, it should be right, And I think that now that they're lining up somewhat healthy, I would say and argue that they can they have their people back. They've got their people back. Yeah, they're a watch party at the Monica.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Ray text me yesterday Friday. Yeah it's one o'clock. It's a one o'clock Yeah, and he's like, let all the kids know. And I was like, I guess school is out right, So yeah, yeah, I make them. I might drop I hadn't be with Raoul ro and I went, no, I might do that just to go for any or too and then get here.
Speaker 2: Yeah let me know. Yeah you going to go. Yeah, I might all be at my office, which is like, oh okay, yeah, okay, that might be. That may be have a little sandwich there or something. What do you guys think? I mean, what do you think about this you BA baseball team? I know we talked about it. I don't know enough. I don't know if that's why I wasn't trying to pick your brain.
Speaker 6: Did you cover the team at all? I covered maybe three games, and they're very talented. They're never out of a game. Yeah, but do they show up for every game? Not necessarily? That's that's the thing.
Speaker 2: And I was gonna ask you. I don't know Chip very much. He's very good when he's on the show, and I know his history obviously, but he has this pattern, right, I guess we all have these patterns of what he's done. He's done well well enough to get to do to the postseason, the number of times, what is his magic sauce, and we all have blind spots.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you could go to those blinds. Yeah, I mean, I'm I can only talk to my personal experience. Ship's a friend of mine. As you know, I've been very fortunate to both be on the field and off the field with him. He's not only been a mentor, but he's been a friend. He's he's he's who he is, right, So when you're having a conversation with Chip, it's never different. So from a players standpoint, I know what I'm getting right. I think when you get into the circumstance, he might need to he might need to find a different gear just to light a fire as needed where he's calm and collected.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know, no question. In fact, I was talking to out coach today about other things and just the good coaches have this bite to them because they just have to have this bite. Sometimes coaches don't have that bite and you can tell that they're not going to be successful. You have to have that bite. No one to kick him in the ass and no one to hug them, and that gives you some they get, they get some respect that are playing hard for you because you have that bite for you know, they lout lute. They played out of respect for him, played hard for him. He was very good at what he does. But a lot of it was playing for your And I've been told this a thousand times, playing for your grandfather. And the last guy you want to disappoint in your life is your grandfather. Yeah, so you played your butt off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for similar Kindle, right, I think Kindle and lut had I think at that time frame were very similar from a player, So it's a generational and then you move on to uh coach Stitt, same thing, same that same realm. And then you go to and Lopez had a different, different gear. Not a lot of people are gonna see it because I mean, it's it's Andy's.
Speaker 2: We talked about it because he's got that bite, and it's it's it's a he knows what to push.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think I think Jay was a little bit similar. I also think that Jay was just able to out recruit a lot of people and get more talent and a smart baseball dude, smart smart am I going up the track. I think that he tried to play systems too I don't He's gone, so I don't even care what that's fine. I think he tried to play into systems too much and didn't give guys free will. You had some of the best athletes similar wea you talked about with Miller. Right, you've get some of the best athletes in the country. Let him meet Right, you get Bobby Dolback bunting with a man on second and the third inning.
Speaker 2: Of the World Series. What are we doing?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: Right? Uh?
Speaker 3: Where Chippers at? He's exactly the opposite, right, Like the best piece of advice I've ever got coaching came from Chipper when when we were this is a long time ago. We were on the field and I was trying to correct somebody's like just a basic stand. I was throwing BP. So it was my academy. He came out to help coach. So I would have him and like Tito and Jack Hall and George Arrius and Chilly.
Speaker 2: And A those guys would come out.
Speaker 3: I was just really fortunate and he would come out and he's like, he pulled me afterwards after b people to me, he goes, is that kid athletics, He's super athletic. He's like, stop trying to mechanically change him. Let him be athletic. Like he's going to figure out. And that's what I think he's doing now, right. But I think that you have to get in a circumstantance sometimes where you have to.
Speaker 2: Let them go. You got to let them go, but you also have to light a fire under their ass. Yeah, I think that's the that's the part of it. That's part of it. Doing that in today's world is tough. My god, we had this quote. I had this conversation with Arizona Bowl yesterday. Right, I'm talking to bing Chulluk in his office and we're talking about because he's a big Michigan State guy, right, he went to Michigan State. He worked under Tom Izzo as a as a GA or as when he was going there, so he knows them. So we were talking about tom Izzo and we boasted the same thing. In this day and age, can you still have that kind of bite? Yes? I can. I'm listening to you.
Speaker 10: So I don't know if you can to be honest with you, if you can m f a guy that he understands that you care about his at the end of the day, you care about his success in life and winning and they have to do it to do win that game.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the young guy in this room. Yeah, and not that you're the example for the litmus test there, but does that help?
Speaker 6: It always helped me. I feel like I feel like when you ask me stuff like talking about nil, I'm like that last bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got through the old school, traditional way, and you gotta you're an older, an older hart, I'm an older soul, older soul.
Speaker 6: You can't do it anymore. Yeah, just just looking at some of the way, like my younger family members are brought up in coast or even parents, you can't. You can't have a bite anymore because the world is too fragile. Now, so then what do you You have to outprepare? Then that's what you have to do. You have to outprepare, and you prepare them in instinctively for those situations without them even knowing it, so they're just reacting at those points.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, you just have to do that. A lot of times. I mean, that's stuff I sent you yesterday though, that was fantastic, fantastic, And we'll talk about that at some of the point because it is today's today's and we talked about we wax poetic on little kids. But Chip, okay, So Chip will let them go, let them play, let them learn on their own, not on their own, but give them the chance to make mistakes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And now he's I think, uh, you know, because my dad has season tickets and my uncle goes with him all the time, and then our close friends. I don't go to a lot of them. Just honestly, I don't go to a lot of college baseball games. It's not my cup of tea. But I won't support anything that Chip does. I think he gives them enough leniency to make mistakes early on, yeah, to figure it out right. And I think he's done a better job with that with the pitching staff where guys have to learn how to work out of trouble, and if you don't have that confidence when you get into it, as you progress during that season, that that the confidence's gone. Right, So you get a guy on second and third early in a game with less than two outs. There's a pretty good chance you're gonna make a mistake, right unless you know how to work.
Speaker 2: Out of it. So how much leeway do you give them? Okay, so you're you're in early in the season, he doesn't play, let him play, doesn't make mistakes, make bad decisions or whatever. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. At some point when you say, okay, you've had enough. Now what do you mean, like playoff time?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now, oh not late in the season.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I think you you're in. They're in a position late in the season where their security get in the Big Twelve tournament as a fourth seed. I think it came down to the wire a little bit bit with them. But I mean, once you get into the tournament play it's it's you got to treat every game like it's do or die, like oh of course, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's when you talk about this And obviously I covered Loop for a number of times twenty five years, and he was always the flat line, Every game is the same everything, And I get that. I get that, and he was that guy. I'm sure his and I've never asked this about those those those pre game fiery things because he didn't have any But then you get to the playoffs, you get to the tournament and every game was the same, right, everything game And that's when the issues came in because well, he lost the number of first round game. Yeah, he lost the number of first round games, and you're thinking, how can he can't get these guys to play? Yeah, at this time of the year, And that was the question, and the answer was, I'm always this way. Yeah, it was this way. And of course you don't want to throw curves at the kids because they know, they know the magnitude of Yeah, it's it's a it's a fine line to walk because you're saying it right now, Steve.
Speaker 3: You don't want to do is you don't want you don't want the players to take it as that you you know, you're nervous, right, there's a nervous feeling to it. For the coach, you want to you want to make sure they understand that there's a sense of urgency. Right, So what's the difference between nervousness or a sense of urgency. And it's the fact if you're instilling confidence, but at the same time, like, hey, it's not who we're playing, it's how to beat them, right, like you're you're going out there. It doesn't matter the name on their jersey or anything. You're just going out there to kick the living crap out of the right right.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's relady three fifteen, We got to go. We only have one guest schedule for today, Javo and Morales from All Sports Too Sun dot Com. He'll come on talk about the high school year and other things. Obviously he covered Loot for a couple of years back in the nineties. Let's go. Are you ready? Ready to discover your soul, your.
Speaker 12: Wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 12: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 13: Yuki Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 2: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 13: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Toronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 14: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 15: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the finance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity.
Speaker 2: Got to commitment to.
Speaker 15: Lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 16: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizona's for over thirty years and a wildcatfan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Briccall five two O seven to four to OH twelve thirteen. Broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 5: Go cats got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 2: Arizona Pest Control is.
Speaker 5: Your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 6: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 17: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mining, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the mineral's apple process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 2: GONYBJYBM dot com.
Speaker 13: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom, no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. We'll help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style, and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 8: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Subscribe now to the.
Speaker 8: Podcast on the iHeartRadio wipp Just search I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the Ball here on Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Blake Eager, Quan work in the controls. Now on the phone. We have who we have here? Morales from All Sports TSUN dot com. Have you hear? How you doing?
Speaker 7: How are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing fine? Hey, Rot. You purposely to talk about the grand scheme of the high school sports scene for this year, but we were talking real quick. You're gona have to remind me of philosophies, maybe high school, maybe the philosophy of kids, because you've most of your stories are about the high school families and the kids. Where were we going with us? Just about the kids? Can they be yelled at things like that? The makeup of a young man? Yeah? Do the kids today take that bite like they did? Maybe our generation where the coaches are tough on them and they're okay with it? Are things have things changed?
Speaker 11: I think things have changed, and it's because of the parents. But if you have a coach.
Speaker 7: That's established and well respected, the.
Speaker 11: Kids are gonna fall in line.
Speaker 7: They're going to be respectful, and they're going to listen and learn and grow. Well, We've got a lot of situations, is a lot of coaching turnover. A lot of the old old guard have left and best in football, and it's created a lot of new new football coaches who are trying to get their feet wet and haven't established themselves. So I think that's where you run into some situations. But if you look at the established coaches that Tucson's had in every sport, uh uh. You know, people want their.
Speaker 11: Kids to play for them and and they.
Speaker 7: They realize that that's the best thing for them. So there are a lot of situations though, where that a lot of coaches aren't established, and we get into these situations where coaches are you know, you know, either fired or or they're let go right before the season or during the season. You got you got parents revolts, you know, complaining about the coach. And we saw that this year that you know, at one point is iron Ridge. Uh you know, it's you have you have some good and you have some bad, like in anything. And I think it's gotten more.
Speaker 11: I think it's since since our days.
Speaker 7: You know, when I covered high school sports right out off at Sunnyside and I was at the star. It's a lot different, and I think it's because of the parents, and it's because of the new age we're in, the social media and so forth. As far as entitlement with some kids and they're handling out now now we have handlers and things of that. Natures actually talk about bringing nil to high schools, which is just a crazy thing.
Speaker 2: Oh so, so let me give give me a scenario, because you've covered it most of your life here doing this. Uh, of the all the coaches, let's give you fifty and then that's a small sample size of the fifty. How many actually left coaching because of all this, of the things you talked about, Well, we.
Speaker 7: Just saw one Pat Nugent. We just saw he could coach another ten fifteen years. I mean he's not even sixty years old, and he cited burnout. He decided, you know, having to deal with you know, the parents more and more and have an answer to that, and he, uh, he just feels like he needs to step away. You've you've had him on your show as a co host and he's I.
Speaker 11: Mean, this guy he could coach another ten fifty years, but.
Speaker 7: He wants to get out. You know, why would you want to get out. I mean, you just want to stay championship. So, yeah, it does happen. It's happening today.
Speaker 11: We saw with other other coaches.
Speaker 7: To stepping down. Jorge Mendevie that at amphis he stepped out a lot for the same reasons. Plus it has to do with with the administration buy in and and support from the communities around the high schools. Some coaches feel like that's not the case, especially in USD from from the things I've heard and seen. So there's a lot of factors of all. But yeah, it is a case where coaches are not sticking it out like they have in the past because it's a different, you know, the different scenario that they have to coach under now, as I you know, said before, with some of the outside elements now becoming more involved in high school athletics.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're seeing it with Patt Newten, who is one of the best to do it in Tucson at both a high school level and the collegiate level. Right he was at Flyn Walls when I was there. But haave, I mean we're having this conversation. That's why I stepped away from coaching. I was just gonna say yeah, it's it's I mean, I did it for eighteen years and I loved the youth aspect of development. Ave, you've been around the game so long on both every multiple sport. You can see it's just a different time frame where it's just constant dealing with parent.
Speaker 2: Could it return.
Speaker 7: You like what it was before?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I know it's a silly call, So I don't know if it should.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, listen, we're sitting here, these were the good they weren't the good old days because people were getting away with some really shady stuff during that time. You know, you're right, you have to find a merger between the two of your coach should be able to coach the way he wants to or but you should be held accountable sure as well. But I think that the one question that we always laughed about. I don't know if you were seeing Jave, I don't know if you ever seen that the Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld is doing stand up comedy and he's getting heckled in the crowd, and so the next day he shows up to the person's work and heckles that person right at work. Like, I feel like we've got to find a way to hold those parents accountable, like you shouldn't be. We did a system where you're not allowed to come.
Speaker 2: To the field.
Speaker 3: You have to drop your cut off, right, you can't be at the field, smart or suspension after that, like you're not allowed to be a game.
Speaker 2: I should to be the accountability. I suggested that when the kids were playing soccer, and because you I want, I went to watch you and support the kids. But there was a number of kids out there that they were you know, their parents were overzealous, right, And I suggested, you know, this is what you do. Do exactly what you do, drop them off, blah blah blah. If they want to see their kids. After a couple of mistakes of not being there, you get the tape. Yeah, this is your kid playing, This is your kid playing soccer. This is how you'll see your sons or daughters playing soccer. Otherwise you can't do this. You'll watch them be a tape. Not allowed to come and watch any person.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's I don't know if I'm sure you saw it.
Speaker 7: Kevin McCabe, he stepped aside from his radio show. He's citing burnout and having to deal with a lot of these outside factors, you know, parents even complaining to him about something you might say on the air about a team or so and so forth. And the situation with the media is kind of changing too. Along with that. Because of social media, you're having people out at games. It's becoming saturated. I see it all the time because I'm out there with high school football games. You're standing among and we stand on the sidelines. We don't go and the we don't say in the press box because the press box is so a lot of them are antiquated, and they're they're you know, they're they're small, and plus when you're on the field, you're closer to the action and you feel like you're you know, you're you can get a better story that way. But things are becoming saturated. You're getting guys with a lot of like cameras, equipment, video equipment that are just starting up there their their thing on Instagram or what have you. There are some good ones. I'm not going to throw a blanket over all those guys that you know, they shouldn't be a game. There are some that actually work hard, work a lot of hours to get kids noticed that way. But there are others who go there to to take advantage of things, and you be a spectator on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: You know it.
Speaker 7: Imagine somebody hearing in the press box. It's basically what it is. So he doesn't he doesn't like that aspect too of what's going on. He feels like the AA isn't doing their their end of trying to keep things in line with a lot of things, or they're over zealous in other things, like the way they treat some of the media after the after the playoff games, like no, you can't do this, you can't talk the coach until we do the trophy presentation. You got to wait here, you got to do that. He just felt like it's it's a situation is a lot different than what he what he is accustomed to when you started doing more high school sports. And I've seen it too, and you know, we get we get messages every now and then, you.
Speaker 11: Know, instead of instead of like the constructive criticism or or like a you know, the right way of saying things to somebody, instead of saying, hey, my son did this in this game. I just wanted to point that out to you and and maybe maybe you guys were out about it or follow up on it. Instead, we get some like why are you writing about this kid and not my kid? And you guys don't know what you're talking about. You don't know how, you don't know anything.
Speaker 7: We get a lot of that kind of approach instead of the the you know, the the saying, you know, calm approach, where if parents did that, they would get a lot more out of it, their coverage, out of their their their kid instead of being so like in attack mode, and that that just that just blows me away, that that why would you be that way? Why why would you comment us like that when all we're doing is we're trying to get as much kids, notoriety as possible. We're not charging you anything, We're not you know, we're not covering one person more than the other, things like that. But we are seeing a lot more of that, and it's because of it's the parents and the coaches. The coaches are feeling it too or more than us because they talk to the parents every day. And I think that's why you see something like Pat NuGen stepping aside. You know, it's it's unfortunate, but that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Do you see Hobby, Do you see Actually, I should ask this question because we have this we've we've had this conversation a lot. Where do you see high school athletics in the next three to five years?
Speaker 7: M three to five years. I think I think it's headed towards more of like the college model. We're going to have more and more, you know, as there's you know, you have the SEC and you have separations like that, You're going to see like the cell points and the other high level programs and seen its kind of separate themselves and it's be more of like an elite system. You're going to see more and more gravitate towards that. It's done that over the years, it's gotten more and more towards that. And you're going to see more players getting more opportunities as far as UH monetary value before they reach college, which is already in place in some states. So, you know, and there's good and bad to that. The good is that these kids are getting some kind of you know, they're getting a business. Local business is supporting them while they're either going to college or you know, they're about to go to college or something like that. But on the other hand, they feel they're going to it's going to increase the sense of entitlement, and I think it's going to be more and more where the old school coaches are not gonna are not going to stick around. So we're going to deal with a lot of the younger coaches, club coach type people that aren't bad people, but they're like the A. AAU type that are are all about the sport and not about the character, you know what I mean. So we're gonna see more and more of that, I think, which will have a negative impact.
Speaker 2: I mean it's going to.
Speaker 7: Totally go in the in the you know, down the pot. No, I think it's going to be I think I think high school athletics will still be great to cover, great to great to follow. They're gonna have some great individuals things like that, but it's gonna be different. It's already it's already getting different. Uh, you know, the feel of of just the overall landscape of the coaches, how the players feel more entitledment, how the parents feel like they should have more say of what they're what should happen to their kids. It's going to be more and more like that, I think.
Speaker 3: Have you with that being said, so if that does that changes the landscape a little bit, but could you see that also helping from a recruitment standpoint, And what I mean by that is, I mean you're around all different sports at the high school level. The weight of high school recruiting has kind of subsided. It's not really there. Everything's h The recruitment side is really on the club side and what they're doing in the off season and following them. Do you think that then if this does change like that in three to five years, do you think the recruiting comes back to the high school piece of it. And it does, it gives the high schools a little bit more credibility at the national level, then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think you're going to see.
Speaker 11: We're you know, the recruiting.
Speaker 7: There was a point in time and not too longer where people were complaining about this, this school is recruiting these kids and so forth. I think you're going to see more more open work where kids parents could take their kids where they want to because of the because of the you know how program's established and so forth. I think you're going to you're gonna hear and less criticism about recruiting because the kids is going to be we're there they're going to be you know, they're gonna they're they're gonna wind up at a program where they should be or there if they feel like they should be. I think I think they're The recruiting aspect isn't gonna be as negative, but there will be. There will be the case where schools are going to be attracting athletes that normally would have went to a high school. They're going to be going to a different school. But that happens, that happens today, that happens, that's happened in the past. But I think it's going to happen more to where it's becoming more of like the the elite. Uh, there's an elite status of high schools and then it filters down to just you know, to where the common athlete will go to different different schools. I'm not I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I think I think the recruiting aspects will will not be as big of a topic because it's going to be understood of what we're where players are going.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got a couple of minutes, just real quick. One of my original questions I wanted to be how did the two soon teams and uh fair in the state level overall throughout the year. I know everyone you know, Phoenix is the bohemoth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, you know Mike Mounin won the football went undefeated, Uh, second year in a row. That's happened. Cdio did it last year. So that's that's great. I mean, uh, that's that four A level that's been doing really well. You know, it's just I think that's something that is promising. The three A level.
Speaker 11: Pushers won the championship last year.
Speaker 7: Sabino did so. The three and four A levels are you know, Arizona's really two sons, really got a good strongholder because they've won the last two years and hardly lost any games. Of those teams that won championships, it's hard to remember all this stuff throughout those school year, but uh, you know, just recently sell Point won the baseball Uh, they're pretty much wired to watch or there were number one seed the whole the whole year, which doesn't happen usually. So they they you know, Danny Prebble and those guys, they did a great job and I think he believes that they're gonna have uh, you know, another good year next year. They're gonna they're gonna reload.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: That's that's the case right there at the Cell Point. They're gonna they're gonna be reloading every year with top talent C D O. Uh, they're gonna be reloading. They're gonna see a lot of reloading like that because you know, that's where the that's where they the players and families think that's that's where they're gonna they're gonna prosper the most. It's gonna be up to the other schools in the administrations in the school districts to kind of you know, raise the level of their their level to try to be competitive.
Speaker 2: And it can't.
Speaker 7: We can no longer have a wait and see type of attitude like we have. And I'm gonna be blunt as like t U s D.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 7: School districts have to be more proactive with facility and you know, making an enticing to the student athletes to go to those schools because otherwise you are gonna have an elite you know programs that are going to continue to be that way. But yet the Cell Point, just the softball team lost unfortunately in the championship game, ended the streak of six in a row cdeo with Amelia Struber. They came up short in the championship game, so it was a little bit more of a kind of a disappointment in softball. But those teams really went far. Empire one the softball championship. So you know in the three A level there there two sons one like eight in a row, almost ten ten years.
Speaker 2: In a row.
Speaker 7: So that you know, there's Tucson is really really good in spring sports and baseball and softball. Look at the u of a baseball team. Arizona does not win the Big Twelve without four guys from Southern Arizona. And you know Andrew K Mason White Rogue got his odd and Owen Cromkowski, those guys. It was because of those four guys that Arizona won the Big Twelve championship. And I don't think Arizona's really had that many from Southern Arizona be that significant of contributors. But I know I'm going off on a tangent here, but I thought that was really impressive the way those four guys really came through.
Speaker 2: Well, how have we got to go? Thanks so much for joining us today. If you well, t thanks you all right.
Speaker 7: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, we'll revisit some of that stuff because you're familiar with the southern Arizona stuff. Baseball boys, let's go take a break. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Lut, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email media Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com. Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 4: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona.
Speaker 2: Health the lead madge and exercise equipment on.
Speaker 4: Twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. Offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tampbele or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 4: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health Leading edge an exercise equipment on twenty second Just Western Wilmot.
Speaker 18: Craving Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration, So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Greater Union. We believe less is more. Les pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids, a lessis More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectra Permid Federal card at Union where less is more Federally insured at i NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio while this is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my in the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Rivert and with it is Blake Eater. Got one of controls. If you guys want to call, please do five to two zero four one six seventy four forty talk about whatever you want to talk about. We've been out for a while for a week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, got a lot to catch up right now on Bricky News.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 6: And it's been a good Conference finals in my opinion. I know it's three one both ways, but they've been a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I have some money with Chris obviously, But who's gonna watch Indian universitys Oklahoma City? Not many?
Speaker 3: But you said this, and I and watching these two series, and they're exciting teams to watch, right, there's a lot of young talent.
Speaker 2: I can get it.
Speaker 3: But Steve dar point that's probably NBA. I would argue NBA is probably worst case scenario for a championship.
Speaker 6: Right now, somewhere at T n T and Espana, Well, there should be a lot of viewers from Tucson for Indian reasons. Yeah, yeah, and they're they're both they're called Ben Mathrin and t J mcconmbey.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're playing. Oh yeah, absolutely part of India. But the market is not Tucson to worry about. Yeah, we're not going to not take Tucson.
Speaker 2: No, we'll see. They're both good teams. I really like the way that Indiana plays and Oklahoma stew if it's Oklahoma City Indiana, Oklahoma City is gonna beat them, But Indiana's fun to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Oklahoma City is an MVP on the team right So for NBA should be a dream scenario. Be able to promote him in a new face maybe changing the card.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I know you don't have Facebook, right, yeah? Smart? You smart man? Uh? And one I think I don't know if you do or not. Maybe. Yeah, you're too young to worry about. He's still on my Space.
Speaker 5: Going on.
Speaker 2: He's going on a TikTok TikToker dance in with us his relatives. So yes, A couple daears ago when I was watching The Sunday and obviously I like watching it because I have a little twenty bucks on it. And I'm amazed. I say this every year, how much of a shot making league it is, because it seems like every time they have a shot, it goes in. Yeah, it just goes in. But again, if you were getting paid two point five million dollars to make a basket, guess what you're gonna end up doing. I don't know who's getting paid two point five million dollars. They're mostly getting paid twelve.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I was trying to make a point. But to your point right now, right, So if you're making that much, you better be damn good. You should be the best of your position in the world. And that's what they are. Ye, No, because they're fantastic and making shucks off. She's Steph Curry, but other teams.
Speaker 6: To even talk about just looking at centers now, and we we've talked about this since I think last about a year ago. This he's not made for the umars.
Speaker 11: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: You better, yeah, you better be able to handle the ball as the center. Sure, I mean that's that's why Henry he is the future. Yeah, I mean it's a positionless game. It's a position in sport at this point, all those yeah bangers and bruisers in there. Well, he developed his shot after after his call and maybe he didn't need it in his college days. But if you can develop that shot, well, towns towns now right, he can get from the logo the guys. Yeah, the guys consistently. He held him in the last couple of days ago. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: There's that.
Speaker 3: There's a baseball you've been paying at hockey on the other side, same thing. There's three one in both series.
Speaker 2: I'm not a hockey I don't know any better.
Speaker 6: I feel like there's a little bit of buzz with Edmonton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying to get a Canada championship again. Yep. Yeah, it's been a while. M hmm, that's news to me.
Speaker 5: News.
Speaker 2: We're trying to make the fifty first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, Yeah, my Chicago Cubs are playing pretty well right now, so it might be I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Who's second because they talk about that, was it Milwaukee?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 2: Who's second in that league? Because there's the other teams are playing fair as well, but Chicago is playing now they're not because someone said yesterday they had Milwaukee, and who's Cincinnati might be second right now?
Speaker 3: No, it would be Milwaukee, it would be my guess central. Yeah, who's in l Central? Who's second?
Speaker 6: St? Louis Cardinals?
Speaker 2: St? Louis? Yeah, yeah, but they're hot's the game difference, game backs? I think there are ten games? What are they?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's too much. What's Saint Louis right now? Over five hundred two games?
Speaker 6: Uh seven?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so they're four games up, five games up. Yeah, so I haven't been. Yeah, that's a terrible baseball fan. I am no, No, I just were invested into the AL Central because every single team in the AL Central I think is legit, and El Central I think I hate Saint Louis, so I try not to watch those games.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why. And none of those guys are on my fantasy baseball. I can tell you nothing about anything about that. I just don't do you turn Do you turn baseball off when it's on?
Speaker 3: Like I know I have a problem when I walk into like we went to Roadies, you know the roadhouse, which is super it's really nice. But yeah, we walked in it was like lacrosse on every table or TV, and I was like, you the Cubs are playing, Like why are we watching?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I don't know better, but it's a West Coast thing, like we don't have a clubs. That's the funny thing. But people who probably work there don't know any better.
Speaker 3: You don't put Okay, you're going to your top three right if the NFL is not you're going to NBA or MLB, And you're going to NBA right now because the playoffs right if the if the NBA is not on, then you're going to MLB, maybe NHL.
Speaker 2: At that point, why lacrosse. Well, that's the funny thing. Part of the people there don't know any better. It's kind of the people you hired. Do you know what's going on?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm just got a job. Yeah, I guess I mean maybe that's right. I mean I've had to I had to ask them to put the Masters on the other week.
Speaker 5: What are we?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? Exactly what?
Speaker 3: But and this isn't a knock on lacrosse. I've never played. It's probably a phenomenal where it's great.
Speaker 2: But we I mean, do you know I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know the I didn't even know the sport existed until I was in high school. Maybe like I didn't know, right, So yeah, anyway, sorry, I didn't mean no, no, no, But.
Speaker 2: That's the prefect simple. It's kind of like time and place. So I know your clientele. Yeah, maybe it's Hey, they're the favorites of the crowd. You know, every not every but the beers beer bars have the favorite teams, right, No, this is the Cowboys place, this is the Steelers place. Okay, at least you know that that's who they are. You can go some of the players.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go there to either watch the game or watch your rival play. Okay, let me ask you this Ross, That's what I'm gonna ask you. Have you ever watched a what is it a match? A full lacrosse match?
Speaker 2: Never once? I have you have? Not dating somebody that you had to know.
Speaker 6: It was early in the morning. It was like Creighton and Saint John's. There's nothing else on it. It was like the summertime thing was on. Yeah, I don't know. I just kind of got stuck on it. It was it was it was funny. I was so they were going back and forth. Yeah, here's the funny thing.
Speaker 2: I watched softball and I really like watched it now that I was injured. Yeah, I watched softball. I watched a lot of it the last couple of weeks, and I will love watching it covered with Candrea. But it's fantastic. The women are fantastic, and you just get into it because and it's a quick game. Yeah, it's a quick game. There's one that was on a station and then they moved that to to ping pong because they went back to the regular stay And I think I used to play. He used to be very decent. And those dudes are fantastic those and then you watch if you play, and you think, what am I watching this for? And they're just beating the crap out of the ball and moving back and all that, and that's I gotta watch softball.
Speaker 3: I think the great thing about college softball is that there's it's it's it's the best of the best in the in the world playing in that stage. Right, there's no professional league that they're leaving to. Well, there is no there's the one in Chicago, right. The all sports are all something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Mean you're seeing very good, yeah, the top level of the sport and that in that regard, and it's just a it's a blast. I mean I would argue at times that softball is better to watch in baseball, right, So it's a I think it competitively, I would rather watch college softball than I would college baseball. Maybe I'm crazy for seeing that, but it's truth. What's the purpose that because you've been there, done that, and it's not a college baseball guy, I'm just not. I just I you don't like I don't like what. I don't like the metal bat. I don't like the metal bat. I don't like the like over over arching cheerleading going on, and the coaches like are always I'm so I'm so fired up.
Speaker 2: I just moment you're wrong, it's like, okay, it gets old, Like I get it. Did you want softball at all? The last couple of weeks so so to me, and this have been the case forever, the cheering and the press ball cheering in the dugout and the dancing and nothing. I said, I wonder how it would be for college basketball. You know, you do the dances, and I think that's kind of over the over the top because you're seeing it right, and I guess you can do that to mean, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 3: Could you show up and watch a college basketball game if the whole game they were cheering the whole game they had different cheers they were doing. But it works in softball, it's it's something that works, right, So yeah, anyway, Yeah, you're baseball a little bit too. Yeah, if you have anyway, So no lacrosse. You've never watched a full across one. You've watched one match one from start to finish. So we just know not to go to Roadies now because I'm out.
Speaker 2: I'm just Joe.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: That place was awesome because if you're listening you need a sponsor from Roadies, you should absolutely go. That should be a place. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We we end up watching the movie Friendship in the screening room and there's it's like five seats, but it's a movie theater.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. Why there Roadhouse? Roadhouse and then we go to road Did you watch The Amateur?
Speaker 11: Have you seen The Amateur?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it. Fantastic, great movie.
Speaker 3: I watched Warfare, which is a phenomenal movie and it's written by this It's it's about the Afghanistan. It's a seal team getting intel, but it's written by the seal team.
Speaker 2: But it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's two and a half hours of my life that I insighted. Would you guys talked about a movie last week? About something like Thunderbolts. Yeah, Thunderbolts and New The New Avengers. That was really good too. Anyway, stay on topic really quick because I want to get this. I want to the one sport that you wish you could watch more of.
Speaker 2: That you don't? What is it? Wow? I watched them exactly enough. I don't have one.
Speaker 6: Maybe f one for me. Yeah, that's getting like a lot more popular, especially after.
Speaker 3: The Netflix documentary or document series Women's seven on seven Rugby after the Olympics last summer.
Speaker 2: Did you guys watch any of that?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, phenomenal like busting heads open like it was awesome, Like I would rather watch women's soccer. And I'm a huge soccer guy, right, I would rather watch women's soccer because every time they get tripped, they don't just on the ground crying, they're bleeding. Like Team Germany had a girl that was literally bleeding from her head and would refuse to come off the pitch. I thought you might say bikini football or something. No, I don't like, I want to see like that's fine. I remember the thirteen year old Blake would have said yes to that. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: At my age, I would Yeah, I would rather watch something that's a little bit more.
Speaker 2: My answer is that, but is it still Is it still around? I don't know, but I've I've seen I've seen some highlights. Oh man, yeah, history later