Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Welcome back to another episode of the Ruby Rogues podcast. This week, on our panel we have Valentino Stole. They know. I'm Charles Maxwood from Top Endevs. We have a special guest this week. It is Greg Monar. Greg, we've had you on before. But how are things in the middle of the Atlantic?
Speaker 2: Hi, guys. Yeah, all is good. Still, We're still alive in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 1: The island's still upright, so things are good.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, shitty leather sometimes, but yeah. It's been that time.
Speaker 1: I heard a clip not that long ago. It's an older clip, but it was a US congressman that he was interviewing a general or an admiral or something, and basically he was talking about Guam and he said, well, are you worried that the island is going to capsize? And the general with the straight face, right, because they have to have some decorum in there and they don't want to tick off the congressman. He looks at him and he goes he goes, no, no, we don't anticipate that didn't capsize.
Speaker 2: No, no, And the math it's supposed to be done for a few years now and it's still there, right, So I don't know what are these forecasts about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well we brought you on to talk about security in Rails eight. I don't even know where to start. Did a whole lot change or is it mostly the same as seven point two?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there are a bunch of things which are seven point two. But I think the imitation was triggered by my talk at Rails fird Yes, which was tied to the state of security in Rails eight. But some of the things I mentioned were actually Rail seven point two. But I think it was still worth mentioning those because a lot of people don't even know about those new features which were three years old back then, and Rail say it wasn't even know it really is at the conference. So it was a bit of a ah a pre planned talk.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, so where do we start then?
Speaker 2: Well, I can just list out the things which I was talking about. If you guys are that, you can go through all of those and you can ask questions and we can sound So one of the first things I mentioned during the talk was every new rails app this is a seven point two feature. Every newly generated Rails application has a default depend about GitLab CI file, which means if you are using not gitlabs for GitHub, if you're using GitHub, then on your CI automatically runs depend about, which is a dependent vulnerable dependency checks. So if any of the gems you are using has a vulnerability public, then you are getting alerted and then you can just upgrade and save yourselves from any hustles and so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think yep, Well, I was just gonna say some people. I think most people know what depend about it is. But effectively you get poor requests if you have vulnerable versions of your dependencies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or even for outdated bones. That's why I don't like dependabo. Actually I prefer bundle oud it, but it's basically it's very similar thing. But bundleoud it only alerts you about security issues, whereas depend about I think you can configure it depends a but also alerts you're about outdated ones. Where usually my way of when I work on the rest, my way of handling upgrades is it's like on a regular basis, like every three months. That is like a spike update all the dependencies. But secretary dependency is a different. Secrety issues are different. Obviously, you want to upgrade them immediately. But the rest I don't really care when a new GEM comes out. If it's just a non security issue, I will update it when I do my regular upgrade upgrades.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes sense. I do the same thing because a lot of times you're you're upgrades. If it's a major even sometimes a minor version, you know, it changes the API. Right, It's not just oh, hey, you're going to upgrade this and you're going to get security goodies right now. You may have to pull a major minor upgrade version because because there is a security issue and they didn't fix it in the version you're using, in which case, yeah, you have to go through the upgrade rigmarole and update your code as well as the gem. But yeah, I'm with you. I tend to tackle those things when I feel the need, right. So sometimes legitimately it's like, hey, there's a new feature in this that I need yep, But if it's the older version, how do I put this? I've been having conversations with people about like AI in programming, and it's like, hey, look, it makes you more effective in all of these different ways, and a lot of people are asking, is that going to replace programmers and I'm like, have you ever met a have you ever worked on a project that ran out of things for you to work on? And the answer is you might have had a side project that you decided was done right, And so with this, it's the same thing. It's like, okay, until it's a real high priority, there's just no reason to do it. And so I'm with you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 4: I've been trying to push people to just like bundle update patch on like every deploy because like the chances of something going wrong in a patch release is like so low that like you've gained so much more by like all of those security enhancements and like fixes in a patch little version that it's almost worth just like doing it if the test pass right, Like, yeah.
Speaker 1: So what does bundle update patch do Because I've used like the pessimized gem that locks in your version right and let's you upgrade from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so bundle bundle update tool it has like a way to give it different flags of like, so it's a canonical version to all the Ruby gems typically are, so as long as the gems in dependency's using our canonicals, meaning there's like a patch level a minor and a major version to it, then you could just say, okay, give me only the latest you know, patch updates. And like people I feel like as at least for like everything that reels would touch, Like the gem maintainers of those are very careful about what to release in a patch version and not like cause any issues because like they don't want to deal with all the issues that come from that, right, Like I'm not being like, oh, hey, like I have like this new like obscure thing, like they would rather just like, okay, let's make it minimal and then you know, in a minor major version, like it's to be expected, right, We've outlined these things that's gone through the process. But a patch version like it's like, hey, we fix this thing as serious, Like you should really integrate this.
Speaker 1: Right. So if I have in my gem file just sidekick and I didn't specify a version and there's a major version update, I can do bundle update with patch flag and it'll just update it to the highest patch version and it won't do a major update.
Speaker 3: It won't do it won't even do the minor right, so it will keep it.
Speaker 4: If it's like three point two, it'll do that and then just like pump it to the latest one, which, to be.
Speaker 3: Honest, doing that with Rails maybe a little trickier because.
Speaker 1: It does like, yeah, Rails is fine.
Speaker 4: You know, it has so many patches that get released, so if you like fall behind, but like that's why you're like, if you're deploying a lot anyway, right, Like then like getting Rails to update itself incrementally as it gets updated at a patch level is not going to be so bad. And a lot of times, you know, if you have a good test case, which you know, let's hope everybody does, but like if you don't, like obviously maybe you don't want to build this into your deployee process. But like, if you have a good like test infrastructure, like doing a patch update, like it's gonna be almost nothing and you'll catch most of the issues in any of the test files applications.
Speaker 2: What if they deplicate things in a I know it's shit they shouldn't, but sometimes they do, and then your logs are littered with all of the deplication warnings, right, and then you're.
Speaker 4: Like, I mean, personally, I would rather have it be secure than like, uh, you know, worry about all the proposity of the outputs, right, Like I feel like, you know, yeah, littered logs is not great to deal with, but like it's honestly better than the alternative of having like a security hole and then like getting like you know, page your duty in the middle of the night, like, hey, somebody took advantage of this. We need to like start an incident response, right Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's why you should use bundle audit or depend on what we the security updates, because then even though it's a patrities, you will notified that this is an important paturities you need to do this upgrade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm curious what your thoughts are there, Like is that the best like approach still today is like using the audit feature, Like what is your workflow?
Speaker 3: Like, look like that's.
Speaker 2: What I use. It's running on CI and it's running also in development in a git hook and then it's just you not divide imitated also on cil of people. What they forget is they sell it up to run on the Magic Quest or Poor Requests, whichever geitos they use, but they don't run it daily on the master or main branch, which is if you don't deplay every day. If you don't match requests every day, then you might not be notified about an important secretaries. So it's a good idea to actually the way I sell it up, if I have the chance to set up anywhere, run it twice a day on the master branch, and run it on every poor quest MARGC quest M because then you all anyways also like weekends, so if it's on a weekend, really something on a Saturday, you don't getting notified if you.
Speaker 1: Right, and it'll it'll fail the build if if it doesn't pass the audit right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if it fails a musta but you are don't expect the old day, we'll get an need imlification or whatever you set up and then you know that, oh I need to look into this because something is up.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just waiting for the day to have like you know, reels autopilot just automatic like if you have like a bunch of hobby projects that you're just like, oh, like I'm not going to spend any time on this for six months, like just like automatically merge any updates as it comes and like resolve itself, Like oh I would love that and then just come back and then you know, if when I'm ready to work on it again, at least it's up to date and I can like resolve any issues that there are. Right, But you know, every single time I go back to a hobby project and I'm like, shit, I can't spend any time on this because I gotta spend the time update again, and then I lose that.
Speaker 2: Like you know, uh, you should very depend I think dependab What doesn't You can set it automatic? Yeah you can. You can, yeah, yeah, for for a patch level, and maybe you can do it for mine, and maybe you can do it for every level. I don't know, but you can do it for sure, and then yeah it is everything. Things might break because you might not get it with the test, but there is you never know. I don't, right, I don't. Maybe it's just me that this is why I also don't trust AI. It's I just I trust humans more for some reason, there's some human oversight. I trust that process like an order of magnitude more than if it's just something wholly automated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's getting better, but I don't blame you there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've been liking the review process so like automate, but review, so like you know, well, all just like set out a plan and then like the okay, I executed all the plan and then notify you okay, review this. I did the things right right, and then if you do, like decide not to review it, like okay, Well that's the same as like working with a coworker that did the same thing right and you didn't review it and they did it anyway right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, But also from a human I expect more than from a So with AI, my issue is that I write a piece of code, right, I asked him can you refractor this to me? It speeds back a bunch of changes which I need to review. And if I ask a junior developer can you work on this feature? They work, They submit to polly quest and if they are uncertain about some things which they did, they will highlight that here is my polly quest, but I'm not really sure about this part. Can you review that more totally? But yeah, doesn't do that. It's confidently saying this is the solution, and they are like, okay, it's like fifty lines of changes. Am I going to focus on each fifty line?
Speaker 4: You bring up a great point maybe what we're missing is a junior AI right, like that has it in I am not confident, I don't know what I'm doing. And then IT can, you know, be maybe a little more cautious.
Speaker 3: I think you're onto something there or.
Speaker 2: Vey or vade what it gives it, because it can be confident about some parts which are like basic or or it knows it too well. But if you are a little bit uncertain about something, highlight that, so I carry you that more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The issue that I run into though, is that a lot of times what I get back from AI, I'm not confident that A it would flag the right things or B that a lot of times I get code back that it's like it's like, yeah, like the general structure as far as like I have to loop over these things, or I have to make this kind of a request or you know, call into this API is generally correct, and then the rest of it it's it's it may as well have written pseudo code, right, And it's like it's like you guessed at the method name instead of looking it up what a human would do, they'd go look it up. How do I whatever? Anyway, we're off on a tangent I want to get back to security. So so the catabot is in there by default. You can use bundle audit if you want instead and put that into your CI.
Speaker 2: What else do we get on the change is really similar is Brakeman. It's also got a default CI file. So Breakman is a static code analyzer for security issues. It basically highlights code spots where you might do something which is insecure. I think that's also a great addition. It gives you false positives, you can ignore those, but it at least makes you aver of certain things. That saves you from sidy mistakes. It's so easy to make a silly mistake which you don't realize you use an insect an API and insecure way because you just forget about something, and it just saves you from those issues. I think that's also a great change or great addition.
Speaker 1: The thing I like about Breakman is that, yeah, it gives you false positives, but like all of the commonly understood bad things you can do, or the the traps that you more easily fall into, it's got all of that in there. And so yeah, I might give you a false positive and say this is insecure, and you look at it and you go, no, I'm not doing what you think I'm doing. But it catches the really easy dumb stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. And the next one is which is a new feature in this it's the rate limiting, the built in rate limiting. Sure you guys heard about that one.
Speaker 1: And I don't know how many times.
Speaker 3: But I don't know how many times I'm built rate limiting.
Speaker 1: I've got an app that I want to build to replace a process we went through last year. It's part of my political stuff, but letting people register for our caucus night in Utah, we get we having like nine hundred thousand party members that are eligible to attend our caucus meetings, and we got ddasked last year by somebody who doesn't like the party. And so I'm wondering if something like this will help.
Speaker 2: It could help, but it might not have for a DDA setech. I think it's a you would need something like cloud fare, which.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what I'm seriously looking at.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so for what this one is good for. The thing this one is good for eight limiting is save you from creditial stuff in attacks. For instance, you know when there is a league password database, and then a malicious ouctors will try to use all of those logging details on your side to see if the same person has an account with the same credentials and then they oh, I gotcha, and then they can take over doct and do whatever malicius things. And in my talk I highlighted a few examples from it's actually now the three years ago from twenty to twenty three, it was the year before, like twenty three, and Meter the DNA they analyze this side, they had an issue with this. Also, General Motors had a big issue. They had a bunch of account taken over and like Credit partially credit card details leaked, and Roku the streaming platform also had like half a million of their users access details were leaked because of our credentials stuff creditial stuff in attack. So I think there's a very good addition trails to prevent all of these issues. We already had wreck attack, which is a jam. It's a very old jam, but a lot of people don't know about that. And this is why I really like these changes in rails because once it's in rail score, a lot of people are becoming aware of these issues, which they these too solve and it might not be the best for that team or that person, but at least now they are oh, I need to think about credential stuffing, and then they find out a solution which works for them.
Speaker 1: So is this in RAILS seven to or is this in Rails eight.
Speaker 2: It's in Rael seven too. It got some improvements which only landed in Rals eight. And it's really simple. You add a single line to your controller and you just set the You set that the two parameter, which is how many requests you want to allow, and you set the wedding, which is like the timeframe. Let's say you want to allow ten requests within ten within three minutes from the same user, and then that's it, and then you have great limiting. You can also configure which actions you want it to be called on. It's like a before filter in the control aft. You can set if you want to exclude any actions or if you want to include only set in actions. You can also configure a custom response because by default it raised a four to nine header, and then you can change that and just redirect to a page, display a message or whatever you want to do. Also another important thing to mention initially, but the first implementation used reddis but then it's been rewritten and now this storage the back end is any rare cash compatible storage can work, so you can use the solid cash or whatever you want and you don't need to you don't need to have reddie as a dependency.
Speaker 1: I love that move away from reddis.
Speaker 4: The storage patterns across the border just really great to see it become more cohesive. I really like this byeline to give it a product and say like, hey, you know rate limited, biop or whatever you want to filter scope to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you would want to have something like cloud flare, you could achieve that using that parameter. So you would set a cookie and then you would rately meet by that cookie, and then you can handle more propell adidos attack as well. Otherwise, if you do it by the ip adidos is usually they use a whole range of ideas. It's one client, so if you set a cookie on that client, then you can identify the same client from a different idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm liking where this is going for sure. I think cloud flare is probably the best answer for what I'm looking for, but I like this to manage your credential stuffing and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my only problem with cloud Flare. I love them. They're really cool. It's very cheap, but I think now they are swallowing a big part of the Internet and maybe one day they will say, Okay, now we are greedy and now start an extortion amount on everybody. Let's hope they never do this, but it happened before, and they might say, yeah, now we want all the money and now you rely on us. There is nowhere else to go, or the small competitors are gone and I need to pay us a lot. But let's hope they are not going to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool. And so the next thing I mentioned in the talk was the new authentication generator in rails.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we had another one before. It's called Authentication zero, which is wasn't in reels. It was done by forget the name of the guy. He's a Brasadian guy. I probably can't even pronounce his name properly. Lazarro Nixon, I think, or something like that, but I'm sure my pronunciation is not correct, So sorry.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, it was an awesome project.
Speaker 2: Yes it's still it's still a great project and it does more. But the building in Rails generator. But the thing is, even though the generator was there, other people don't know about it. Now that res has a built in one, a lot of people are ever, oh, we can have an authentication generator, and they might say the build in Rails, but is not for me that they find the other one or other alternatives. So this is why I love getting these features into Rails. And the building one in Rails doesn't have registration and what else. It doesn't have a few features which you would expect from an authentication flow because I think the reason for that is the core team believes that they are custom for applications usually like sign up. It might it's very different for all of applications, so they expect you to implement that on your own. But this authentication zero, for instance, it generates all of those parts as well. If you are into a fully flashed you just want your own code, the code to sit in the repository, but you don't want to write a line of code. I think that's a better option. If you want to have something custom and use just Rails generated stuff, then go with the built in Rails one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm working on a generator of my own that will generate the views. I don't like the views that I got when I ran the rails generator, But yeah, I mean just it's it's basically I would like to build the tool build things that run on top of the built in rails generator because I think it does a really good job.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm curious here.
Speaker 4: I love your insight, Greg, I know it's it does like passwords as like the default for the generation. Uh, how do you feel about you know, passwords with users? Like I know there's a lot of talk around this, like do we go password lists pass keys for the future for a bit, like you know, where where do you see like the industry like coming together or is it still kind of like a little bit uncertain.
Speaker 1: Or the oaths that's the other one. Somebody else is managing your credentials and SAP or whatever it is. You have a token from them and you authenticate them on the token.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I on both of those cases, I think I might not be the mainstream with my opinion. So for pest keys, I love peskys. I use a ubiki for two factor authentication. I think it's amazing for that because for that you can have multiple options. For instance, I have a Ubiki, but I have two laptops, so sometimes I don't have my Ubiki with me, and I have two Ubi keys, but I keep on as a backup at home, so I never really that's not in a laptop. That's just if I if my brakes, I can use that one. So I have multiple authentication two factor autification set up at most services. I can use my phone within the app on my phone, or I can use the Uiki, which is much more convenient when I'm at home. I just touch it and then it's done. But for whole authentication, I think there are a bunch of things which are not so easily resolved, like what are you doing with the logging in on your iPhone and on your Windows laptop with the same pestky because you contantly transferred between divis. You can if you're on iOS and Mac with everything, it's it's amazing, it's fine, it's convenient, everything is in the whole ecosystem. But what if you have an Entrade phone and the MacBook or it's not so easy to transfer your credentials between different services. That's my main problem with pastkis. It will be probably solved eventually in the future, then I will be all for paskis. But since then, I think it's not so easy to handle all of those edge cases.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One thing that I'm wondering that along the lines of what Valentino's asking though, is that it seems like when folks credentials get compromised, it's it is the password, right, It's hey, here's a username and a password that'll get you into the website. So do you favor more passwordless options? I mean, that's what the past key is. But you've also got like magic links or you know, hey, here's an email and we're going to send you one time password or any of that. Like is that any more secure or is that just an illusion?
Speaker 2: In my opinion, not at all, because if I get access to your email account, I have the keys to all of your accounts, right, But usually so it's not that clear because also if all of the sites you signed up for support a password is set by email, then I can also take our right. So I think the solution for all of this is multi factor authentication, because even with pest keys, what if my laptop gets stolen and store in the state when it's open, and then they have access to all of my all I have, right, Usually this is why it should be something you know and something you have access to, because my one password shuts it down after five minutes or whatever. If someone gets access to my loptop, they can't get access to my passwords. They can access to my ubiki because it's plugged into the laptop, but they don't have the passwords. So I still have two things which they can only get one of them, save me the email. When someone's exited the email, they can take over your raccon. But this is the same if it's only pest words, So just pestwords on their own. I don't think they are good enough.
Speaker 1: So the other piece of this for me is how do I put this. I'm super cheap, and so like Riverside for example, right, I could set up an account for every single one of the hosts to be able to start the podcast, but realistically that's a lot more expensive than setting up, you know, a couple of generic host accounts. But then you know, how do you set up third party authentication for shared accounts or two factor authentication for shared accounts? That that's been the rub, right, and so I tend to not turn it on and then essentially just trust the people that I've shared the password out to because I don't have a better way to do it.
Speaker 2: You can do that. Actually, so I'm working on something with a team where we have the same problem and the wave has resolved it. You know, if you set up two factor authentication with an authenticator app, it's just you just need a seed and it generates it token based on that seed. So we have that saved and whenever you want to share that to favor with someone, he gets the seed and he can have the same setup on their phone. And then you have authenticate po multiple devices for multiple people so they can still have the second factor.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: That's really cool.
Speaker 1: That's that's been the piece that I've been missing is Yeah, it's like, okay, how do I share the second factor of two factor authentication?
Speaker 2: Or you can go down the other way, which I don't recommend, but it's quite popular. You use something like one password where you can share.
Speaker 1: That's essentially what I've been doing because I've been sharing the password out of one password.
Speaker 2: Pro and with dead then it's not too factor because you have the password and the second factor at the same place. Anybody gets access to that one, they have everything they need to look I like to separate these the factors from each other.
Speaker 1: Well that's the whole idea. Yeah, and may have preempted other questions from Valentino, so I'll let them keep.
Speaker 2: On the topic of outsourcing your authentication. I don't think that's a good idea. Actually the Q and A somebody asked me about this, and Octa is one of very popular service for outsourcinger authentication.
Speaker 1: Octa and zero but at zeros owned by Octa these days.
Speaker 2: So yes, So they had breaches in the past, and they just had a breach after my conference talk again, not a bridge with a security incident, but they had a proper breach a few months before the conference, And I.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah, i' kind of like the approach like single sign on took in that. It's like, at least there's a rollover approach, right, Like, Okay, if they if you've been identified of a breach, like you can invalidate everything that's in that, right, But.
Speaker 2: If you're a past word nagin and you have unique pestwords everywhere, if you are in a bridge, it doesn't really matter because they don't have the old.
Speaker 3: Password, right, That's true.
Speaker 2: And my problem with UKTA is their altitude. I think, even though they are a security company, they are more money and profit oriented than security oriented. That's what I see from their behavior. They might not like that opinion, but that's what I see, and I think they they care more about sales than actually making a security and you can see that from the secretitysies they had in the past, because some of them is I don't want to be rude, or just because everybody makes mistakes, but some of it you wouldn't expect from a security company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say so. When I started building top end devs, I was using off zero and I had two problems. Well I had more than two problems, but a couple of the problems came into if they were down, I was down. It was one right because nobody could authenticate Y. The other issue that I ran into was it was way more complicated than just allowing people to have passwords in my own system using device or you know, building my own these days, I just rolled my own. I used the Rails generator and then I just put what I want on top of it and so so it was just overkill. And then the last issue was I mean literally literally anytime I had any kind of problem like it. Yeah, it wasn't just the complications, and it wasn't just that I was down when they were down, but but there were some other issues within just the way that I had things set up, and it was easy to fall into those problems and it affected everybody.
Speaker 2: So anyway, and sometimes if there's an issue, you can'try solve it because it's out of your hands. It's the way you implemented their integration.
Speaker 1: But they do a lot of things for you too, so you know, they do some level of authorization. They'll handle the third party like Google and Apple and Facebook, you know, whatever whoever you want to let people log in with gethub like, they do all of that, and so you don't have to go and jump through the hoops with an omnios right there. There are reasons why people go for it. You know, they're probably a little bit better at security than you are. But you know, as you're pointing out, Greg, yeah, you may not know the issues that they actually have because you're outsourcing it and trusting them instead of being in your own system where you can audit and verify it. So exactly, anyway, I see people use it. They seem to like it, but I think it's for those bigger apps where you're really looking for that enterprise level set of features. For the things that I was doing, it just didn't makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also think it doesn't make sense for most organizations, but probably it does for some. I don't know. But even then I wouldn't go with doctor for shure. I haven't heard of Old zero, which is probably a good thing. Probably they didn't have any bread Cheese.
Speaker 1: Acquired zero like three or four years ago.
Speaker 2: So oh so it's basically the same company.
Speaker 1: Now it's more or less the same company. But for me and I think this is what you're saying too, is do your due diligence if you're going to pick one, and make sure that you know why you're going that way as opposed to building yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. And one more thing I wanted to mention about the Rails Authentication Generator is the reason I really like this one because res has a bunch of helpers which people don't know about, like has secured password. All of these new secure token generation methods and validation.
Speaker 1: Methods are so nice. Use them for here. So I'm going to back up for a second, because I love these, so I use them for all kinds of things. Right, People people think, oh, I have a secure token generator. That's you know, so I'm gonna put it in my cookie. Is some kind of authentication key or you know, I'm going to use it for this other ath and that other ath. But you can generate keys for anything, and so I've been using it. I'm trying to get to the point where I'm running my own premium podcast feeds, and it's like, hey, look, if you donate to the show, you'll get you know, ad free stuff, right, and so you can generate tokens for that. You can generate anyway. I don't mean to derail, but this is a really really handy feature. And if you if you need something that not guessable, then this makes it really easy to do it.
Speaker 2: Yep, and verified. It's just built in. It's just super easy everything. Yeah. Yeah, And I think that's why it's good, because you generate your authentication system and then you read through the code and you learn from it. You just say, oh, yeah, what is this helper? Never heard of this? I think this is also why it's good to have this. It's just traises, awareness of seftain Rails helpers and features which people wouldn't know about otherwise probably yep. And then the next thing I mentioned the talk is it's not really a technical change, but it's an important change. It's Raels has a new maintenance policy, which is I need to read this because I can't say that tell it from the top of my head. So every minor releases we receive security fixes for two years after the first ree is in its series, which means practically, if one point one point zero is really is January first in twenty twenty three, if we receive secretary fixes until January first, twenty twenty five, after that it will reach its end of life. So it's I think the maintenance period became shorter, which means that you should everybody should take upgrades seriously and don't stay on all versions of Rails because it's just it's not going to get secretary updates. They make exceptions sometimes, but you shouldn't rely on that. In my opinion, you should make sure your apps are up to date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a lot of things have changed on that front. Two though, because I've worked on a handful of apps for clients where I had to upgrade from saying rails four or Rails five, right, and those upgrades were often rather painful for one. And the other thing is is that, yeah, it's just you know, it was kind of a giant thing and you had to take it on and you know, the maintenance cycle on things. Anyway, lately, with everything pasted about Rails six Rail seven, for sure, like the upgrades have not been nearly as bad. And so I, you know, you're mentioning the maintenance cycle, and hey, this encourages people to upgrade, and you know, maybe you have a different window to get security patches and stuff like that. But the other side of it is is that, like I have a whole bunch of Rail seven two apps that I need to get around to upgrading to Rails eight, and I've kind of been waiting for like a couple of patch versions to come out, right, so that whatever issues everybody else is finding, good on you folks, and I really appreciate the work you're doing and you know, and then I can go pick them up. But yeah, I from what I've seen like seven to seven to one to seven, two to eight, they really haven't been that bad. And so you know it's okay. I'll spend a few days on this or a week on this. If it's a really big app maybe it takes longer.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, it's much better. I did Trails two to three upgrades as well, two point three to three. That was a big thing about it. A little bit easier, four to five, a little bit easier from five on. I think, yeah, it's much easier. It's except when you go rails eight, you need to ask yourself the question what am I gonna do with the front end stuff? Are you gonna keep that pocket or are you killing it? Because then it might be a bigger change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The prop shaft, yeah, prop shaft, prop shaft, and uh, you know all the stuff that's there. The way that Rails eight and Rail seven two, frankly, in a lot of ways handles the front end stuff. It is. It is so nice, you know, I don't I don't miss what it'sprockets don't miss Webpacker. When I moved off of Webpacker, I wanted to throw a party because it was so much easier. I mean, the issue with Webpacker a lot of people had was just setting it up and knowing how to do it, but I found myself having to tinker with it a lot, and so prop Shaft I've just kind of said it and forget it. It's been really cool and the.
Speaker 2: Build step is always like, yes, something faz At the built step, it's like I need to deal with this. Yeah, it was just slowing things down. I also didn't like.
Speaker 1: The important maps. I love them.
Speaker 4: It's funny you don't you don't realize how stable like Rails and Ruby ecosystem has become because I mean going back, like you know, upgrades, Like you know, I was thinking of my first Raels upgrade. I did like a Rails one app that was on Ruby one eighty seven, which was like the nightmare Ruby upgrade because there were just so many drastic changes, right, and so like I don't think people realize like what the early stages of a framework or a language are, right like, because like the stability that we get now likes just a mind boggling right like you know, yes, there'll be some depreciation warnings and things like that, or like you know, the big changes like are really not that big in like the grand scheme of things, right, Like if you look at like some of the other libraries out there, you're like, you know, the whole like back end could get swapped out and you'll be like, well, what do I do with all this stuff I built? Like yeah, you know, it's like incredibly stable now, so it's it's just wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And for the record, when Greg was talking about upgrading from Rails two to three to Rails three, that was when they merged another framework called merbr into Rails, and so there were just major major changes. I mean a lot of stuff got a lot better, but the upgrade was painful.
Speaker 2: Oct record was pretty much completely changed. It was a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's a shout out to, uh to Machondra who like maintains the Rails are lts.
Speaker 3: Oh stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh, if you're like honestly, if you're out there stuck on a Rails upgrade and it's just like not worth it to your business, like just pay the service. Rails LTS long term support and it's just like they make sure that like yeah, they give you the security patches and uh yeah, we use that for a couple of clients a long time ago, and it just like it works incredible out of the box, like turn key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to get them on and ask them how that all goes.
Speaker 3: So long?
Speaker 2: Now, sometimes I'm sure it's very tricky to sow these shoes. Sometimes for them, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the same time, I mean it's got to be really because I just went to their page and they have LTS versions for RAILS too crazy, and so I'm going, boy, what what are you having to fix?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And how deep into the weeds do you have to get?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but from a security perspective, I think it's still risky to be on the tour to measure because nobody really tests. That's true thions. So there are no security patches or security issues made public. There might be some non public ones which people might abuse, you just don't know about them. So I think it's because, like the latest version of RAILS, a lot of companies are using to get patrition tests, and sometimes issues are upstreamed from the resort to a patration test. They find an issue, it turns out, oh, it's actually an issue inside of RAILS, so we upstream the patch and fix it for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, But.
Speaker 2: Those old versions I think are not a good idea to use. Even though you get some support.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the next thing I mentioned the talk is is a bit of a pretty small change, is that CBV and CBC was added to the parameter filter defaults. But the reason I wanted to mention that in the talk is because a lot of people don't know about the real parameter filtering, which is a very handy tool to filter out anything sensitive from your logs. Like you know, when a request comes in with a password in it, you don't want that to show up in your logs, or if you store social secretary numbers, you don't want them to show up in your logs before you encry them. And this feature is just amazing. For anything sensitive which you don't want to be in the logs, you can just study to your initializer and then it gets excluded. These are the things which I also think rares excess because a bunch of other frameworks don't really haven't an easy solution for this problem. But Rasia is just out of the books and for years it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did have this bite me in the rear end once, but yeah, I agree. The way it bit me in the rear end was I had a stripe web hook key that for some reason wasn't being set and it still showed it as filtered, and so I didn't know it was empty until I actually like forced it to log it out.
Speaker 2: Ah, I see.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is definitely a best practice. And if you get into like hipA or what's the financial one, PCI or any of these, they they they will crucify you on this stuff if you're not doing it. And and the logs are usually an area of vulnerability that's.
Speaker 2: Overlooked, yep.
Speaker 1: And Rails does it by default for all the common sense stuff yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the second half of my talk was these are the new features, which wasn't that many, to be honest, but still there are spilled small progresses and that's all we need, I think. And the second half I wanted to highlight to people why I think somebody should choose Rails if they want a if they need an application with high security standards. And my main reason for that is there is a tool for everything you would need in the Rails and Ruby ecosystem, like parameter filtering which we just mentioned built into the framework, great limiting now built into the framework authentication. You have device and a bunch of other things, multifactor authentication, a bunch of gems you can choose from. It's super easy to implement all of these features or I have a list here.
Speaker 3: Or the other thing, which is scripting stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you don't even need to think about it. Actually, cross side scripting you need, but cross sideicquest forgery for instance, it's just BILS the framework for I don't even know which version, like LS it's forever. Yeah, it's so we have a lot of things which you just get read it for free and granted it's amazing, and other things which are not built into the framework. Like if you're talking about compliance, one of the the requirements to be soked to or ISZO compliant, is that your developers shouldn't access anything in production without you knowing about it. So if you have a rogue employee, it's not like they can just steal whatever they want. They still usually they can, but at least you have an auditlog so you can pinpoint who was the the malicious actor and there are there is a gem from thirty seven Signals called Audit nineteen eighty four and Console nineteen eighty four, which is if you install that. Anybody who goes to the RES console, they need to authenticate themselves, so they need to say who they are and why are they accessing the data, and then you have an audit trail. So whenever somebody accesses production data, you have an audit trail. One important thing to know about this, though, is it's advised to store these data in a read only database. Sorry, I'll write only database, so they can't. Nobody can update the data. They can it only rights, but you can't update otherwise. If somebody wants to be really tricky, they can just Ruby is very dynamics. They can find a way. I found a bunch of ways. But now it's much more secure than the initial really was. You can find a bunch of ways to treat the system and overrite existing log entries. But if you store it in a database which is only you you block update commands on the database connection, then it's pretty secure and safe.
Speaker 3: When did they change that to ride only? That's really awesome.
Speaker 2: They didn't change it. You need to change that on change yourself. Yeah, you can't. You can't build it into the GEM because you do it on the database level. If you build it into the GEM, then you can. You might still find a way to override it. In Ruby, because it's a super dynamic language, you can do things that you shouldn't even think about. That's how I found a bunch of things to over to bypass it. Ah. But yeah, that's a really good tool for compliance reasons. Also startic CAD analysis. That is breakmen. There are other tools dependent vulnerable dependencies. We just mentioned bundle aud it depend a boat and probably there are others as well. CSP content security policies build into else opery directs OPERI direct protection is deffault built into THEIRS nowadays. So you have you have for every security requirement or need encryption active record encryption. It's really easy to do now. You don't even need to think about anything cryptography. It's just you set your keys and you are good to go, and everything is in gypted in the database.
Speaker 3: The only thing that's missing is secret scanning.
Speaker 2: Secret scanning you mean the repository.
Speaker 3: Like something like trouple hog. That's the best example.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Well, but you should do that on the repository, and there are services or there are tools for that for should even in Ruby. I don't know any from the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that there are some.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about like storing encrypted real secrets in a repol?
Speaker 2: As long as your master key stores safely, it's a very hard to break encryption. It's quantum computing. We might get into trouble in a few years, but until then we are fine and safe. And then you figure out how to have to save that. I'm sure not us, but someone who's good with cryptography. Then you figure out the way. But I think that's perfectly fine. You just need to make sure your master key is safe and secure, right, and then it also it simplifies the whole process. You can use environment bariables, but then how do you handle that during the deployment flow? How are you going to pull those from secret storage? It all adds complications and complexity, a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I've just been doing what Kamal does, so it just sticks it on the container when it runs YEP and.
Speaker 2: Comera as good integration with one past word and others. Actually, secret storage is like a bit bucket.
Speaker 1: I haven't used any of that because I'm the only one that deploys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then it's yeah, it's it's super easy. If it's only you. If it's a team, it gets a bit more complicated, but still it's it's not hard.
Speaker 4: So do you have like a a security checklist that you run through for REILS apps, they make sure, oh make sure all these things are.
Speaker 2: You know, not really to be honest, when I do a penetration test, I have a checklist which I go through, but it doesn't really depend on a rail step. I have some rare specific things which I know I would a real set then I need to check this and that, But a lot of it is only in my head, to.
Speaker 4: Be honest, I mean to that point, like you know, real is pretty secure out of the box, right, Like it's not exactly difficult to you know, break that, but like it's not easy either, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like with the REILS new like it's going to.
Speaker 4: Be pretty hard to like do something insecure until you start actually like you know, adding new things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of the vulnerabilities I see now it's it's used to be excesses and it's still I would say that's kind of the second, but the top one nowadays is authorization. So because it's super easy to make a mistake to forget to authorize some endpoints and then it can be accessed by someone who shouldn't have access.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, but I think if you are talking with a basic level of security, make sure your authentication is secure, make sure your authorization is secure, and then make sure that there are no excessises. And that's pretty much the rest like secret injections, really hard to have a secret injection issue in reals now because eighty percent of the APIs in reels in the octave record are safe and secure. And for authorization, what I always command is use a wideist approach rather than a blacklist a blacklist because it's always better to have someone complain about not having access to something they should have access to. They're realizing, oh shit, somebody has access to something they shouldn't, right, because then it's and you need to report it then to your customers. That said that, if you have a it's basically a data bridge. If somebody can access things they shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I know we're short on time, but I'm curious to get your thoughts on Like one common pattern that reels doesn embrace this is this like RESTful resources like targeted by IDs and like part of The problem with that is just like guessable because they're like equally ordered ideas like do you do you feel like reels is like overdue for like a new pattern there, or like is it not worth the effort.
Speaker 2: To like, it doesn't matter even if it's guessing or not guessing. I found authorization issues with the u I ds because they are not secure. They can be guessed, they can be brute forced, and they can be leaked. That's the that's the most common thing that you have u I ds and you think, oh, it's safe, we don't need authorization, but somebody in your API you leak the u I d s and then people can just find them.
Speaker 1: And security through obscurity.
Speaker 2: Huh, exactly. You should. You should have autodation. That's why actually I think pnumeric ideas are better because then it forces you to think about authorization. If you're like, oh, it's hard to guess, we don't need authorization, Yeah, down the line, you see for sure you have issues.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is is that typically you're going to see your authorization at the controller level, and so if you've got good tests around either end to end or controller tests, you should be able to pick up. You know, a person has what whatever it is that credentials them, right, whether it's a membership or a role or something. Right, you should be able to test that and say, Okay, I with reasonable confidence running my tests every day or you know whatever twice a day or yeah, or every time I check in. Right, I can say with reasonable confidence people don't have access to stuff they shouldn't have access to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can still make mistakes, and you can use a feature and then you forgot forget to an authorization to that. And like I found an issue recently during a parent test where they were doing autolitions. The same endpoint could fetch one record or a list of records, so they were expecting either an ID or an array of IDs, and they did the authorization on the on the first item. So what you could do You could set the ID to something which the user is authorized to have access to, and then you get set the ideas in the same request to something they don't have access to. And then because it thought, oh, it's only requesting one item, but actually it returned all of the items because the second parameter, the autoidation check was successful. But you could still get access to things which you shouldn't. It's easy to make mistake, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, Yeah, I guess, I guess what I'm saying is for kind of your baseline stuff if you're testing it, you know, But yeah, you're right if your strategy isn't well thought out and your test only tests that your strategy works, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why I think gems like bundit is really useful. Because it bunded, you can turn on a feature which we eraise an exception if you don't call the authories. I think it's called authorized the method in a countra action, So it forces you to have out ridition in every end point and if you don't, then you might make a mistake and then it will warn you. And also it really like you can do a widely stopproach easily with that one. So nothing can be accessed by anybody, and you explicitly grant access to certain records right for certain conditions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, cool, Well, is there anything else you want to make sure that people know before we do our picks?
Speaker 2: I think that's it. Basically is still a great choice for security in my opinion. But still you need to be aware all the time and be on the lookout because it's easy to make a mistake. Nobody to blame for that. We all make mistakes and we should learn from them and get better.
Speaker 1: Yeh, all right, well let's go ahead and do some picks. Valentino, you got some picks for us?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was at the last New York City Ruby AI meet up in a happy hour and demo night, which has now been consolidated into a nice Artificial Ruby event. So I gave a talk on a project I'm working on called ruby Tuner to try and fine tune an ll M specifically for Ruby code generation.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 4: Have this whole framework built that wraps Python basically to start with the idea of over time moving it away from Python as the new Ruby features start to become available. And so I showed showcase kind of like the whole process and to end of fine tuning a very specific contrived example of turning a u r L into markdown and then getting.
Speaker 3: A response out of it. So it's a lot of fun. There's a new event in March.
Speaker 4: I recommend signing up for at Artificial Movie dot AI and check out Ruby sooner and then just like something really fun and because I always share something very specifically ai.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Peter Cooper has been like diving deep uh and he runs the Ruby Weekly.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He shared this really.
Speaker 4: Fun and kind of hilarious prompting strategy for basically creating a group of specific authors of software. So he has like Paul Graham and Linus Torvald and David Hannamer Hansen and like kind of made personas for each of these characters and then got them into a prompt to like argue over very specific implementation strategy at a very detailed level.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 4: And he shared the prompt that he used for it, and like it's it's kind of fun to uh, to play with this, and it like brings in kind of like the a combination of mixture of agent or a mixture of experts as well as like planning execute, like combination of those two. It's just like really fun to see that kind of stuff of all. And like see a panel of judges, judge thinks in a simulated way.
Speaker 3: I recommend checking that out.
Speaker 1: It's just fun. That sounds that sounds so funny. I'm gonna go ahead and throw in some picks. So first of all, I do a board game pick or a card game pick this week. I'm gonna be picking a card game. It's called The Gang. It is essentially it's Texas Holding Poker. Cooperative Texas Holding Poker. So what you're trying to do is you are trying to sorry, I'm trying to copy and paste the link and while I talk, you're so you're all playing Texas hold them. So you have two cards, you flip over the all that stuff right that you're normally do, right, So, and then what you do is, once you have your cards, you can there are tokens out. There's one for each player, right, so if you have five players, there's a five star token of four star, three star, two star, one star. And so what you're trying to do is there's no bluffing in this game, because what you're trying to do is you're trying to get the tokens to the right people. So the five star token is with the person that wins, and the four star token is with the person that would come in second, right, third, fourth, fifth. We played it with three players, so we you know, it was just you know, three tokens. So anyway, so you grab the token that you think you deserve and then somebody may say no, I think I think I have that, right, And so usually it's the top one that gets passed around them a lot in the bottom one that gets passed around a lot. Right. So it's like, you know, I look at my cards. I can't remember the pocket cards. I think is the term? Right, I have a two and a three. I know that I'm you know, I'm probably not going to win, right, But as you flip over the river, maybe you flip over a two and a three, right, So now I have two pair. Now I have a good hand, and so you know, then I may be more aggressively grabbing the top or next to the top, you know, and so and you can't talk about what you have, but you know, so somebody has, you know, three of a kinding kings, right, they may more aggressively take that five star token back when I grab it, and but I can take it back from them, and then they can take it back from me, and so then I may be looking at it and going, well, I have two pair, but they're kind of crappy pairs, so maybe they do have something better. And then as you flip over cards, you every time you flip over cards, you put more tokens out, and so you can see where people are changing what they want to do. And so a lot of times, right you'll flip over a ten and some who was kind of not sure where they were all of a sudden is really aggressively saying I should get the top one. And it means that, you know, my hand went from having nothing to having a pair or something like that, and so you're kind of trying to read the table and figure out what it is. And the way you win is you get three in a row or not three in a row, but you get three correct before you get three incorrect, and that's pretty much it. And then there's a deck of cards, and we only played with a handful of these, but there's a bunch of cards that put restrictions on what you can do right, and so maybe it takes away a round of tokens where you know you would get more information or things like that. So anyway, it was a lot of fun. The gang board game Geek has it as a weight of one point sixty four, so it's pretty approachable for you know, most gamers. I think my kids, you know, I don't know if i'd play it with my kids. Because I'd have to explain poker to them, and mostly it's that I would have to, like, you have to explain the statistics and why this hand beats that hand and how to figure out right. So anyway, that's where it gets complicated, is just knowing which hand beach which hand and then recognizing I have a straight or I have a flush or I have you know, whatever. So anyway, fun fun, fun fun stuff. We played it after it was readily apparent that the Eagles were going to win the Super Bowl, so we played it for like an hour. By the way, go birds anyway, So that's my pick there, and then the other pick I have is I'm pretty aggressively pulling together Ruby geniuses. I have meetups planned starting on the twenty fifth of February. We're going to be getting into all kinds of stuff. There's going to be a book club at the end of March, and we're reading the O'Reilly book on prompt engineering for AI, you know, so just diving into a whole bunch of stuff. Basically, it's meetups. I'm gonna set up a discord channel for each of them, right so we can collaborate with that. You get discounts on summits that I'm putting together. Right, They're not doing Ruby comp this year, so I plan to put on a summit about when they would do that, and I have people show up and speak at that, you know, So just just stuff like that. I'm trying to think because ultimately, I guess the other thing is is if you sign up by the end of the week, which means that I guess people we didn't go live. So anyway, I was also offering if you had questions, you could text or send me a voice message and I would get back to you and you would get that for six months. But anyway, so yeah, so it's it's the book club, it's the meetups, it's the the collaboration with other people. Just the ability to kind of get feedback on what you're doing or get help when you need it. These are the things that really came through for me when I was newer programmer. And what I found is that even as a senior developer, I'm craving that kind of interaction anyway, and so you know, getting a bunch of people in and Okay, what's new, what's going on, things like that, and then finally I'm also lining up. Some of the meetups are going to be with people that are on the show, right, so you know, I've asked some of our past guests to do them, and we're going to start doing some of those in March or April. So the first handful, I just wanted stuff on the calendar that people were asking me for that I could teach, and that way I didn't have to worry about whether or not I could fill those meetups with other presenters. But yeah, we're going to have a lot more of that because there are a lot of people who know a lot more about stuff than I do. So anyway, you can go get at rubygeniuses dot com and yeah, Greg, what are your picks?
Speaker 2: I have two picks. One is a gem got Pundit, which we just mentioned because I think it's really good for outright to handle authorization rails app. It's a good help and it helps you to solve a bunch of issues easily or a bunch of problems. So that's one of the picks. And the other pick is a bit of a self plug, which is I'm working on a course for almost a year about security for rals developers, and now I'm close to get it ready and publish it. And it's already in on free sale, and once I record the video videos fit it's basically the written version is pretty much done. I just need to record the videos and then I will publish it. And I hope it's going to be useful for people to learn more about the caveats of security things in rails.
Speaker 1: Cool. Where do people find it?
Speaker 2: Uh? Just go on my website. There is a link somewhere on it. Probably I should I should put the bonner on it, but you can find it on my website. There is a link I think at the top somewhere some great.
Speaker 1: All right, cool, we'll put a link in the show notes too, and that way people can go and keep an eye out for it.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Yeah, thanks for coming.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. It was fun again.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Well we'll go ahead and stop here, wrap it up until next time, folks, Max out