Speaker 1: Welcome to Breeders Sin again.
Speaker 2: So we're pretty excited today. You know, we've been doing a lot of early breeding talk, trying to source some of the history of how we got to where we are today. We've talked about breeding techniques, we talked about a bunch of early eighties and nineties seed banks. We focused on Neville quite a bit because he was one of the largest seed banks in the eighties. And we're pretty excited today because we have the other largest seed bank of the eighties, the Super Sativa Seed Club, which was next to Neville, the biggest seed bank in Holland at the time, and lots and lots of famous strains like William's Wonder and Beatrix Choice and things of that nature came out of their seed bank. And we're lucky in that the founder is still alive and well and was excited to talk to us. So we want to bring you a couple stage interview with Correll, who is the owner and founder of the Super Sativa Seed Club, and we're going to be asking him a lot of questions about the eighties, the style they were doing things, how he got certain strains, and really all the areas of interest we can think of. So this is kind of like the second big piece to eighty seed banks and modern breeding, and we're pretty excited. So here it is. Prepare you sou.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: So you are Carl, it's pronounced.
Speaker 3: Carl, Gottle, Gottle Carl.
Speaker 4: Yeahl It's an absolute pleasure to meet you. You're You're a legend in this business and a lot of us would love, would love to have.
Speaker 1: This opportunity to speak with you. So I it's an honor.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, take it easy, man, I'm just a guy of flesh and blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same here.
Speaker 4: But it's really cool to be able to have this opportunity to ask you some questions about the history of SSSC.
Speaker 1: So where would you like to start?
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe, Yeah, it's a long time ago already, of course. And nineteen eighty five we started, yeah, and those days, yeah, we were squalls and we were well like you are, man, really, yeah, we were activists and.
Speaker 3: Our idea was to.
Speaker 5: Yeah because in those days and all of it was not legal to grow, but it was like a little bit, it was not it was not a big deal to do it, and not not many people did it. And so yeah, we started to grow. And actually we learned about growing and their metal hell out lights from people who went to the States and they saw it there.
Speaker 3: Oh wow. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I worked in those days in a coffee shop and a friend of us he went to the States and and and.
Speaker 3: And he saw how how you guys did this?
Speaker 5: And nobody in those days did this in Holand, And so I thought, yeah, let's give it a try. And I think we'd we were the first in Holland to grow on the on the metal highlights.
Speaker 1: In those days, it was that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And then so we were we are we're looking to left close to the big horticulture centrum of Holland, the west Land because the Holands it is really we are the number one.
Speaker 3: In the world horticulture things.
Speaker 5: Yes, so I have we decided to start is the only problem we had.
Speaker 3: We didn't have any seats.
Speaker 1: Oh so how do how do you start sourcing your seats and your lines? What makes you choose what you do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the thing is, in those days the cannabis was only from the tropical countries and it was all seeded with a lot of seeds. So if you tried those seats and alland they didn't. They didn't didn't flowering time because we are quite new. And then those the certifty are from the ecuators and so we didn't have success, really not. And but one of the guys he went to the States, one of our friends, because we needed seeds, and he went to New York and he had to short and offense.
Speaker 3: I better I don't call the name because it's yeah, yeah, And then he said, now, man, we don't have seats. But he said, yeah, but I come from Holland and I.
Speaker 5: Came especially to you to to pick up some seats. And after one week he said, okay, okay, okay, we will give you some seats.
Speaker 3: And those were the William Wonder seats.
Speaker 1: So those came out of New York. Yes, that's fascinating, yes.
Speaker 5: And so then we started to grow those seats and then we will be had quite not a big success, but a little bit success. And after a while, the famous the screen man you've heard from, of course, and he came to live in Holland and and he contatacted. He contacted us because he thought, when I live in Holland, I have to be in touch with the seed guys. And those days, you had Neville seat bank and we were the second one, so there were basically two seat banks in the world.
Speaker 3: Sam and Sam.
Speaker 5: He came to we became in contact with him, and he told us, yeah, and I come here to live in Aland, but I don't have a place to grow and maybe you can help me or whatever. And he said, I have a nice collection of seats because he did a lot of breathing already in the state.
Speaker 3: And his number one thing was skunk number one. This was really the.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the first variety in the world that really somebody took the effort to him bred it and to to to to make a selection out of a big group and basically so we were very happy with those seats. And he had something from his private status as well, and he said, this is my private thing, but there are only twenty seats left. So yeah, he gave us some seats and those were the hay seeds.
Speaker 1: The hay seeds, so he told you some of the original hay seeds.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, So he had twenty seeds and he gave ten to us, and he gave ten to to Neville.
Speaker 1: These were from the same batch.
Speaker 3: You were from the same bags. And I said, there's those seeds.
Speaker 5: They were already like ten years old, and he said, this is really we need to germinate them because because and I gave it to you because you understand how to do it, and so we can see the safety seeds. And we were not really we tried to hate but we did not like it because it took too long to flower and it was very small birds. And at the same time, we were very glad with the scream number one seeds because we were used to the fluffy sativas that were from South Africa, from Jamaica, from so we were really happy to see the big buds of the skirk number.
Speaker 1: One and it was.
Speaker 5: Really a lot of resin and a lot of smell, and but we decided to make a cross between skunk number one and the UH and one of the haze the hages we had left, and from this cross we made a big selection and it's then we were very happy to find one with correct correct the smell and the taste of the haze and and the butt structure of the skirt number one. So that was really happy that we could grow hazes with it. Yeah, and dig thick fat birds. And the nice thing about this. I still have this plant and it's now twenty five years old and we we still have it, and it's it's our flag ship thing, of course, and we have now based a lot of our crosses on.
Speaker 3: We made it with this old school hazes we call it, and.
Speaker 5: It's smell else like cat bis and it's really a dark, dirty taste, but it's it's a very uplifting high and it's really uh yeah, it's a really nice plant. It's very difficult to grow because if you make a mistake, if your room gets too hot, it starts to flower again. And it's really a matter of of yeah, it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: A difficult thing to do.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that that's still around.
Speaker 4: That's amazing, that's absolutely and you're still using it in your current breeding program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And uh we stopped with the super Sativa seat clip after about five years because it was really too it became a little bit too successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 5: And in those days it was really yeah, we were a bit afraid of Ronald Reagan. The water and drugs was going on really strong in those days. So basically we quit the super Sativa seat club. But I I captain growing and doing doing cannabis in all different ways. And like three or four years ago my two sons, I have two sons their growers as well. That I let's do it again, man, Why don't you do it? Because everybody knows you and some people think you are the legend.
Speaker 3: So do it again.
Speaker 5: So we started again, and and yeah, there's now quite successful. And now in Holland we are also getting a situation of of legal growing because in Holland we have also always been on the forefront of the of the growing. Sure, but but yeah we lost a little bit because you guys are doing it very good of course now in the in the States and in the legal situation and and a lot of and a lot of states. So Holland caun't can't stay behind man, because we are the ones who we spilled out to do the cannabis thing. Yeah, and now we are lucky. We started a lobby in Holland and we also try to to change the law. We basically wrote a law together with the Dutch government and now there is going to be a big like a trial and the Dutch government has given out ten permits to grow legal for the Dutch coffee shops.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: And we were glad, we were lucky to want one of the pyramids, because one hundred and fifty people applied for the pyramid and only ten pyermits. So and like from one hundred and fifty people, one hundred didn't make it because the plan was not good enough and they were not because you need to do to to comply with a lot of rules, because you need to know about cannabis. You need to have the money you need to have to grow and a big skill. You need good contact with the coffee shops.
Speaker 3: And we all have this.
Speaker 5: So now we are very happy because then we can do our breeding really because we have done the breeding all always in the illegalea here. So you can imagine that it's for us difficult because we like to see it. But it's also a little bit difficult to see that people like exotic mic exoter genetics is really they can they can work in the legal situation now for over three, four or five years and you can see the results.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he has a lot of people making seat for him everywhere all over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and yeah and then and hold on to we we still have the like the strains, difficult strains to grow.
Speaker 3: The special turb turb profiles, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what we want to go for something different because it's cookie.
Speaker 3: It's cookie everywhere nowadays.
Speaker 4: I surely hope you guys stick with some of the base old stuff because that's what we need. Nobody wants cookies anymore over here. Everybody's hired cookies.
Speaker 3: Yeah really yeah, because over here it's still new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still new over there, right, Like it's.
Speaker 5: And like a strange but also in a comic situation in that we we we went to the States to get the seats, then we grow, we did a lot of breeding and things, then we sold it back to the States, and now the States is doing very well and now we have to go to the States again to.
Speaker 4: So can help there in that situation because we have everything over here and you don't have to fly out to get it, you understand it.
Speaker 5: So that's that's nice that it's going all over the world. And the idea of of the Shuper Sativa seat clip was because we were very politically involved with Our idea was to to help the States. Is a little bit strange to say, but we were in this position that we could do the semi legal our things.
Speaker 3: And in those days you had a lot of people coming back from Vietnam.
Speaker 5: Those were our clients, you know, because they they ordered the seats from US, and they were the ones.
Speaker 3: Who really did a lot of Garelia farming.
Speaker 5: And in the California where it's still going in the same place where it's.
Speaker 3: Now all so our divas.
Speaker 5: When we sell the seats to a lot of different people in the US, there will be a lot of different a lot of refrigerating refrigerators stocked with seeds. So for the government, it's quite difficult to stop this, you know, because it's spreading everywhere, and and in those days you didn't have the Internet, and it's if you live in a certain city, okay, you can spread the seeds, give this to your friends, but it's a bit difficult when you live in California to to to make sure that also the people in tanks, US or Alaska. So we we our idea was to to spread it everywhere with the idea this is not going to stop anymore.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's a beautiful idea.
Speaker 4: It's like Johnny apple Seed modern day Johnny apple seed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And also we did we were not in for the money, because we we we did we we we really were in for the love of the plant and we still are. And of course the money was nice, but because our business model was a little bit strange, because people from the States had to send people money to the to Holland without knowing who who we are.
Speaker 3: And and and and then they had to twisters that we sent.
Speaker 5: The seeds back to them. Absolutely, in the first few years, people were a little bit reluctant to send us money because yeah, maybe who are we?
Speaker 3: Nobody knew.
Speaker 5: And so at one point people from High Times they came to came to interview ers because we weren and and and High Times, and they thought, oh man.
Speaker 3: This is really this is this is for real. Yes, so they make it.
Speaker 5: They made a nice cover story about us, and from those days it's really it really exploded.
Speaker 1: You yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we got we go be cat like.
Speaker 5: People from all the from everywhere in the world ordering seats, and we thought this is really getting too big, and we quited this because it was getting a little bit out of hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it got a little hot.
Speaker 5: Because and a lot of people from Japan from Australia, from Canada, from everybody to start to order seats because it was really the first We really were the first ones to do this and it was a big, big success, and we were.
Speaker 3: Robert CoML Clark.
Speaker 5: You know him as well, I think, oh yes, he told also always the wisest thing you did is quick with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We saw what happened with Neville. We saw what happened it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so it's really u and now now now yeah, yeah, we're still going strong and we are still loving the plants and we we are still very happy to to make combinations with the new things from the States with our old stuff, and a lot of things turned out very well because we like to have We like the layer taste, you know. Yeah, if we do something with hayes, we can keep the haze taste, but also we can.
Speaker 3: Combine it with like Aurelia glue or whatever.
Speaker 5: And it makes me really a thing that we like that it's not one taste, but a lot of different tastes in one variety. And yeah, and we are not so afraid of doing things like twelve each of flowering, because yeah, a lot of people are afraid to do this any days. It's difficult, but it's really worth waiting a few weeks extra.
Speaker 4: Americans are finally being more receptive to long flowering strains.
Speaker 1: As of the past.
Speaker 4: Maybe two or three years, I've noticed hazes are finally starting to pick up in the US, whereas they were never a staple here in Santa Cruz in the you know, late sixties, early seventies, mid seventies. But nowadays people want that, they want a little bit of that that trippy Colombian and yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, because we also we work together with age seeds as well, do you know, as oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what these are our friends as well.
Speaker 1: And they're really good company.
Speaker 5: They have they really have like these super strong shativas and and and and now like in in the legal situation and in the US, I do not understand why people are afraid to from a longer flowery time, because if you have the space to do this, I can imagine in the illegal situation, and you don't have much space, it's a bit yeah, of course, and I can imagine that you want to speed up things.
Speaker 3: In a little bit.
Speaker 5: But but what I have seen always is it takes four weeks longer to finish, but they yield and.
Speaker 1: Get there exactly more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so at the end of.
Speaker 5: The day your results are exactly the same as when you grow short flowering varieties.
Speaker 3: Sure, because the big.
Speaker 5: The what we and hold on to always say, the modern Americans strange, they lack yield, they lack weight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: That's why we try to make crosses with the new American strains to to.
Speaker 3: Get to make plants with the bigger yields. Yes, because it's a TVs. You know how they how they flower.
Speaker 5: The birds are arm length and yes, and then the cookies you have a bird make if you don't have anything in another bird, it's nice, but it doesn't bring weight in the scale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, there's cookies is very low yielding. And yeah, the high doesn't last too long either. So a good haze hybrid with the cookies would be awesome, you know, bring much better Hi, the cookies that isn't there?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I asked the questions for you, Do you.
Speaker 4: Have a lot of good a good memory for like where you source certain things or the history of certain strains that you put out.
Speaker 5: Not sure not Not that that's a bit of a problem, because did the old school has the clone. We still have and I'm in touch with in Canadia a lot of people they still have the free lamp Indiga.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it was very famous.
Speaker 5: Almost people told me that a lot of people from fifty sixty years old now that they started, when they started to smoke, they all started with Freeland Indiga.
Speaker 3: It was over. There was a really big thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now today I talked with somebody from Canada and he knows a guy in the.
Speaker 3: US who still has the Beatrix Jewish and thirty three.
Speaker 5: And the thing is and in so many years, a lot of things happened, so to be honest, I lost a little bit track of.
Speaker 3: Where everything thing is now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and in.
Speaker 3: Those days we'll be basically samk Man of us.
Speaker 5: He provided us with seeds and a lot of seeds we we we we just took from from the bags of wet that we that we yeah, that we bought in the coffee shops. And in those days, but we were we had the coffige in Amsterdam. We had the coffee shop. It was called Durban Poison, Yes, and the only sold cannabis from South Africa. Yes, So we made a lot of crosses with the Durban Poison because it's just South African is also it's far to the southern the world, so the flowering period is more or less the same as we have in Aland yes, this was very nice to make crosses between Skink number one Durban Poison and then and then we gave it a nice name and it was.
Speaker 3: Like our variety and it was not the deal because it was really.
Speaker 5: We took the seats from the backs and we grew them, and we we pollinated the one that we like best, and we had a new variety because in those days it was not really in breading. Yeah, we did not really do that because, to be honest to the month for our seats were so big that we even didn't have time to do this, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah.
Speaker 4: One thing that's been happening in the US the past maybe fifteen years since I've been around, I've noticed there is a and this is unfortunate, seriously unfortunate, but every two or three years, someone will come up and pretend to have a big collection of all the SSSC stuff, yeah, and then sell it and it's all fake.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It just happened to be a trix choice. Someone just popped up with fake be a trix choice. That's probably what you're referring to. That's not anyone's collections over here.
Speaker 3: You know who we at Trixation.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah we we We've studied your strains for so many years. The Williams Wonder clone is still out here, that that cloning is still available. Yeah, there's still seeds. Every once in a while you'll find Williams Wonder seeds that are pure Okay, thirty nine still around Freeland, still around.
Speaker 3: A famous one. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because in Canada, I went to visit Canada and then the guy he showed me the Freeland Indiga, and then I was really like, there is of course a lot of things happened in all those years and is becoming better and better.
Speaker 3: And I was not really very proud to see the Freeland the Indiga.
Speaker 5: I was, I thought, this is not really but we like those days and these days, you know. But but I think it's more especially are the hate things, because the hate is really something something different, and it's also.
Speaker 3: For me as the owner of the SUPERSTITIVI clip.
Speaker 5: It's sometimes funny that people tell me things that I myself even thought, know, you know, sure, yeah you.
Speaker 3: Can imagine that because we had a lot of different varieties.
Speaker 5: And yeah, for us, it's different than then for for the collectors. You know, it's really but I really like it to hear that a lot of people are still trying to find the roots from cannabis, you know, because it's basically it's basically even Neville of course a little bit more than we did. And and because he was really the first one and he we were the second ones, and it's all heads for Neville. He's not anymore with us any you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was friends with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a pity. But the nice thing is also that we we we we got some of his last work in clone form.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have the Outback Hayes.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's the one he made in Australia when he lived in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can get Ian made all those for him?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was one of my good friends. We were all working together during that.
Speaker 3: Time, okay, okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And then we also go have the hate she um hm oh nice, yeah, yeah, it's and we have also the Annal five times had the real the clone that he he selected him from a lot of plans.
Speaker 3: I really don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh so like that is, I think it's the A five or five A.
Speaker 5: Five No, no, no, no, no, what the A five and five we all have?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but because the thing.
Speaker 5: I'm from a London in the south of Hollander, there's a group of people who still have all those things, and they yeah, and and and in the hate world, it's still a little bit nobody owns this.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, of course, yeah, people think they do.
Speaker 3: This is like we are like.
Speaker 5: Activists, you know, we we think. I I don't believe in owning screens and.
Speaker 1: Owning absolutely I agree.
Speaker 3: Not everybody agrees with this, but no.
Speaker 1: Not everybody does agree with that.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 5: And I of course when somebody puts a lot of effort in him breathing a strain or working a strain like many years, then he can then I consider it that he owns it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, correct if it if it's if it's long, bread and selected and a lot of working into it.
Speaker 1: Right now, gorilla glue is going after everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also at the point, but when somebody is selling in a seat bank a regular seat. Yeah, then I own it that well, if he sells it, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly if you're buying it, if you're buying the genetics.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, because if you don't want to sell the genetics, you have to feminize it or whatever.
Speaker 4: And even then, I mean, if someone feminizes your your feminize.
Speaker 1: Seeds, then you're just ask it out of luck because you've sold it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So so I'm not really busy in protecting the genetics. And and then maybe because I also want to ask you questions of course, yeah, because do you see do you see things happening in the States like that people are trying to protect strains or genetics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people are trying to patent feminization techniques that they had nothing to do with creating. People are trying to patent strains as quickly as they can, trademark strain names like tochikush.
Speaker 3: But but but names. It's different things because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the plant varieties, we can't plant patent them yet. But there are many people at the forefront of that trying to get it the second that it happens, and it'll be a problem, it will definitely be.
Speaker 3: How what are they trying to do then, because and all on you have, like.
Speaker 5: Because we have a lot of horticulture flowers and everything, you can you can patent if you can, you can own this train as long as as it is different and a lot of expects than any other scrain.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: The second thing.
Speaker 5: You have to do is you have to be able to reproduce it, and that means if you have under seats of this strain, all the plants.
Speaker 3: Have to be the same uniforms, so ib L informed, and also the next time you show them have to be the same. Again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think anyone in the US, except for maybe CSI, Humble and a few others seven H seven seed Bank, there's only probably two or three people who are capable of even producing seed lines like that let alone. So I don't think many people are really going to be getting the patents. There's some breeders up in BC that have been doing it very seriously and big for a long time that'll probably be looking for that in their country.
Speaker 5: Because to give you an example, if you like in hold of we have a lot of big seat companies tomato.
Speaker 3: Seats and everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, if you buy a kilo tomato seats you're buying fifty thousand seats, and if you grow those fifty thousand plants, they are all one hundred.
Speaker 3: Percent the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uniform UNI, and.
Speaker 3: There's not one marijuana straight around that it's unit for.
Speaker 4: Them, you know, No, it's and I don't know that marijuana can be brought to uniformity because environment takes such a big factor in expression.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also of course because of the multi multi, multiple hybrids exactly. I mean, I know for sure that in the cookies there is something from us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guarantee it.
Speaker 5: And for sure there is some Skirk number one in it, except the screen ban always told me everything.
Speaker 4: I think we know exactly what cookies is now. It's very it's it's a simple, simple little thing. But to break it down to its base components, it's going to be something like skunk one after any one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I like it. I really like it. The smell and the taste, and I really.
Speaker 5: Want to say, good work guys who did to the guys who did it.
Speaker 1: It was an accident.
Speaker 5: But it is of course difficult to make this uniform because in the cookies, let's say the cookies that are maybe like twenty five different varieties.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, easy, easy, sure.
Speaker 5: And those like the skunk number one is all is already those already have like five yeah right in it.
Speaker 4: Yes, And then you bring in more parents with all their backgrounds and grandparents, and.
Speaker 5: Then it's the hybridization is like there are one million swings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think exactly.
Speaker 4: I try to keep it to the when in my work, I like to keep it to a baseline like a bass afghany or a base something.
Speaker 1: Like that, you know, and cross it to it may be a polyhybrid.
Speaker 4: So it brings that down dramatically, you know, like it's easier to breed and line breed from it into life.
Speaker 3: And the super City seats, we are not really putting putting a lot.
Speaker 5: Of efforts in and in breeding and everything because sure, what we like is when I buy seats, I like to do pheno hunting. Yeah, and pheno hunting. Yeah, that's a nice thing. When we make a cross with our race, then you will find a lot of different things and one of the plants is really something special, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, and that's what that's what what I like.
Speaker 5: And did the big LPs, Yeah, they want they tried to sell to buy seas and then they think, then we have a uniform group. But I always tell them police man do pheno hunting and I look for a nice mother and grew from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I have I have a quick question for you. There's been some myths and stories over the years. One of the stories that came up recently and someone made a seed company off of was UH saying that they were breeding for you in Virginia to make your skunk one.
Speaker 3: No, that's not true.
Speaker 1: That's not true. I didn't think it was true, but I had to ask because it's.
Speaker 3: One of the thing that is Sam the skring Man.
Speaker 5: He made the screwing number one, and he made him made it in California, and he was really the first guy in the world to UH, to to grow in a big greenhouse and to do real to do real breathing, you know. And and then basically the Scoot number one, the original one is there are basically two phenotypes and one with the with the pointed B and one with the round. And the smell and the taste, they were all really quite uniform. And that was his work. And in all and in those days, all the breathing was done with Skoot number.
Speaker 3: One because.
Speaker 6: Big but and it was really it's it's scoot number one in the eighties and nineties was in every plant.
Speaker 4: Can we ask you the history on Beatrice choice, because again you brought it up earlier and it's one that people like, Is there a certain history on it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Not really. The only thing is a bit. But to be honest, I really I even don't remember. There's been a long time. The course that we made. We made. The only thing is that we remember.
Speaker 5: We why we put the name on it that that that's what what I what was the name from? Yeah, because Beatrix is the queen of Holland, and so we thought in those days, like you like your tea shirt, man, we were like this in those days. In those days, and we had one Victor Barn Do you know Victor b Yeah. Yeah, that's a nice story to tell because in those days we had in Holland and Lockhat Affair and the lock Hit that was like the company who built airplanes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and the lock Hit.
Speaker 3: So our the.
Speaker 5: Husband of our queen was Prince Bernard, and he was he was like a naughty guy. He was doing he had a lot of different wives and he was doing a lot of different things, and he made he made a deal with lock Heat and he said, I will make sure that the Dutch government is going to buy your airplanes.
Speaker 3: You have to pay me ten million dollar for this and lok.
Speaker 5: He he did that, but he has this this Prince Bernard had to use a fake name to open a bank account to put the to let Lock.
Speaker 3: He put this.
Speaker 5: Ten million dollar on his bank account and he used the fake name Victor Bard.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: So that's was like a little bit like this with them.
Speaker 5: You know, I love that you're telling you that we can't go with Are you doing these kind of things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm very I'm I'm very politically active here. Our government is very especially in California. Certain areas of California, you're still very illegal. Like a lot of people don't know that, Like they think California, they think legal state. I'm in a part of California that's the Bible Belt. So despite any laws, our county has overridden the laws.
Speaker 1: And if you get caught growing, you're fucked. You go to fucking jail, you're done, you know. So we're still very politically if you're trying to fight a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Everything's still done very clandestine, black market in most of the states.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 5: I'm very good friends with the people for Hamble Seats. Oh yeah, and they always tell me, Man, everybody thinks it's legal, but it's still it's it's not legal at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's scary, scary in some places.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So now for me, the circle is a little bit wrong because I started this thing more or less, and now I'm very happy that that I'm part of the group that got to permit to grow.
Speaker 3: Legal in Hollands. You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for me, it's like, uh, the circle is wrong.
Speaker 2: All right. So what you just saw there was you saw the first part of our interview with Correl from Super Sativa Seed Club. Matt I wasn't unable to make it, and so Matt did the first one. We had a series of follow up questions and ideas, and so Correll was kind enough to come back and chat with us again. It's possible this might be ongoing, but for now we have a two part series. So the first was Matt, the second will be primarily me, although Matt might be in it for a minute, and after that we'll have some commentary where we talk about what we learned and what we were excited about hearing Matt and and a lot of others. You know, we read, we read the catalogs, We talk and talk about various things. But we're all a little younger to have actually experienced like basically you and the seed Bank kind of starting off like oh that's one okay, kind of like you know, you, you and Neville at the seed Bank, you two kind of started off what we consider to be like the modern seed era. Right like before you we were really curious as to like certain questions. You know, for instance, you know you you mentioned before when did you when did you first start seeing like Americans come in and bringing their seed lines like Skunk one and and the Durban or afghany one or these different things.
Speaker 3: Yes, we started in eighty five.
Speaker 5: And yeah, one year or so, this Sam, the Skreing Man, he came to Holland to live in Holland. And yeah, he wrote a letter because we were running an ad an advertisement in High Times magazine and Neville and the Seat Bank did it as well. So Sam told that when I go to Holland, I let's who copied those two guys, and let's talk about seats. And I told met the last time in those bays, we didn't have much seats. The only seats we had were from from backs of cheats maybe that we bought at the coffee shops, and it was all Sativa's.
Speaker 3: And so basically, Sam the skreing Man.
Speaker 5: Brought all the seats from the US to Amsterdam, and of course the next one was Robert o' clark and a friend of Sam screwing Man.
Speaker 3: And after the a few more came.
Speaker 5: And the nice thing about it is the seats came from the US to Amsterdam.
Speaker 3: Then we started to send it to the US again.
Speaker 5: And now it's again that we u looking to the US to buy seats again from from you guys. It's we were first more liberal than you were, yah, and eighty five that it never has been legal let go in Holland.
Speaker 3: But in eighty five in those.
Speaker 7: In the beginning, no, there's not a lot of people that knew about cannabis, and so basically we had we could do what we want because nobody knew about it, and nobody even.
Speaker 3: The police didn't really take They let they let us do what we wanted to do. You know, it's it's an empterdam. There were a few more. We're not brining.
Speaker 5: Of course he was really the first one with the seed bank, but he didn't it's international. It was for Holland and he was really Yeah, he's older than me as well. And he yeah, he also added the first the coffee shop in the first gross shop is it the posit products the positor, and then the coffee shop is the mellow yellow. And he's still around. He invented more or less not a Rick Simpson oil, but yeah, I don't know. He calls it Madie weed Maddy wheat oil. And yeah, he has a good He really does a lot of good work because he basically introduced to the Dutch patients how to make your own oil.
Speaker 3: He wants to teach the people how to do it.
Speaker 5: He wants that everybody is an independent and independent from pharmaceuticals.
Speaker 3: You need to make your own medicine. I don't fully agree with it. Yes, really he's still around.
Speaker 5: And come back to the question, Sam the screaming man, he's nearly the man who brought everything to Amsterdam.
Speaker 4: Really, did you have any interactions with keys hawker from Loveland seeds.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, he's how could he's older already? Yeah, no, no, no no, because the thing is they they tried to push the as we call it.
Speaker 3: The native basically growing your own backyard. And we were more.
Speaker 5: We thought the church is called the brain into wet and let's go indoors because we we we saw it. We saw it happening in the US, and we were we were readers of High Times magazine. We were lucky enough to having the American Bookstore in the so we went there every month to buy the newest copy. So we were sure what what in America was going on. And that's more or less how we started for US.
Speaker 2: Skunk one and Haze and those type of things are very very famous strains, and they kind of became like the backbone of what you guys were doing over there. For a while. He was a like to those things. At first.
Speaker 5: We were very happy, especially with with the scrinkl run, because we were not used to see these kind of big bits and stable genetics because yeah, you can imagine if you grow outdoors and all shativa strain from the Ecuador, Yeah, it doesn't f it flowers in December, and in December it's cold and rain and snow, so we didn't see we never ever had seen even the buds, you know. Yeah, so this was a big game change. And when he came with his uh stuff and especially the skill number one and the Hayes, he gave us ten seats, the last seat he saved from his favorite variety, and he gave the other ten seats to Neville. And yeah, we didn't pay too much attention to the Hayes because it was long flowering and only very very small bitch, and it was really we were so happy with the Skoo number one that we almost forgot about the hate. Luckily enough, we made crosses between the Skoot number one and Hayes, Yeah, because we had ten plans and yeah two two times we were vested by the police and they took all our hazes and we had only one left.
Speaker 3: Even I don't know anymore.
Speaker 5: If it was if it was a boy or a girl, but you already made the seats with the screen number one, and I still have a lot of seats that we made between crosses between our ten hases.
Speaker 3: I tried to germinate it, and it really doesn't work. Anymore.
Speaker 5: The problem was I kept them outside the refrigerator for ten years. I put them in a refrigerator and now I still have them.
Speaker 3: So maybe it'd be some of your listeners culture.
Speaker 5: Because in my opinion, the seat when there's only one sell a live still. Basically you could reproduce it. But if the government, I don't think they want to help us with it. If they find in a seat of a wheat in a pyramid in Egypt, yeah we'll make sure that this is going to work again. Yeah, but with cannabis seeds, I still we still have to finds. But who can help us? Because I think the even you know what I mean, culture from alive somewhere in those seeds still, and of course it would be nice to germinate it. I gave it to a few people who were called, well, we will manage because I know how to do it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, of course, yeah, but that's a pity of course. And I have to come back to your Urban poison.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In those days we had an Amsterdam coffee shop.
Speaker 5: It was called the Urban Poison and the only thing they sold was weat from South Africa.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the names anymore, but the major thing.
Speaker 5: They sold urban poison, and so I mean we had quite a few crosses, you know, our first catalog with Dirman Piss because we bought we bought eat from them and we picked up seats. And together with skunk number one, all the crosses, all the crosses with skunk number one gave us more early flowering, bigger and a nice smell. So it was basically uh winter combinations. Even the screw number.
Speaker 4: One, well do you remember what any of the smell profiles of the different number ones that you popped back in the day were like, yeah.
Speaker 5: The the the skirt number one was really like the name tell the name taels at all it stinks.
Speaker 4: So back then it actually smelled like scums like North America.
Speaker 3: I really, to be honest, I never have smell smell the spring any mill.
Speaker 5: But it was more about that it was so strong.
Speaker 3: It was really strong. You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in my hate that I have, you can still smell in the back you smell the skunk, the strong smell of the screw number one. And together with with with the hazy to the like, there's a lot that the old school haze is very freaky plant because if you make an analysis of it, there is all.
Speaker 3: There's only a proof sheme, that's the only urpin that's in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not.
Speaker 3: Too much as well.
Speaker 5: But if you smoke it, it's really distructed smell and taste that I.
Speaker 3: Have ever seen in wheat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a big mister, and I'll know it about turpines. How is it possible that the plant with only one ur and not a lot of it can smell so strong and taste so strong?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you know the answer? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So basically, when you first got it, it was skunk number one was an early finishing big bud, very pretty. It smelled like skunk. Did it smell like did it smell like citrus too? It was there?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no not at all, No no, no, it was more the dark side of the like the earth, the.
Speaker 3: Woody.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes it was not no, no no, no, not any sweetness, no, not any any SATs in it.
Speaker 2: Because what we're familiar with as as younger people is skunk number one smells like floral. It smells sweet, it smells So you're saying that what what Sam brought over first is very different than what ended up being common in Europe later.
Speaker 5: Yes, the ideah because skret number one and there are still a lot of seats bank around and they they think or they they know. I don't know that they that they still have scooted number one, but that there is no scoo number one anymore.
Speaker 3: Did the only scoot number one that is around.
Speaker 5: It's very deluded, nothing to compare with with with the skunk.
Speaker 3: Number one anywhere.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe when the screwing mena this is a he tells that I'm wrong, but I have never seen it.
Speaker 3: There is there is no scoon. There is no real skook number one anymore around.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because when he went there he gave seeds to you, He gave some seeds to Neville. It sounds like he gave some seeds to Bernard from Positronics Mellow Yellow. What was the what was the little was the community in Amsterdam? Then? Did everyone know each other? Yes?
Speaker 5: The thing is we didn't live in Amsterdam. We still don't be live in Amsterdam. And there wasn't The Ampsterdam scene was more about outdoor growing and then and and and and we we I think we were the first ones in Holland to grow indoors and and when Sam teached a lot of people how to grow in a greenhouse. And since Sam arrived and hold On, the people started to grow in greenhouses because you could do it without a lot of trouble, because nobody knew about how it smells and how it looks. And basically the first five years that Sam was around, a lot of greenhouse growing was going on, and he basically teached everybody and all how to do it.
Speaker 3: And we didn't grow in a greenhouse because in.
Speaker 5: Our opinion, we thought better to do it there was nobody can see it than nowhere.
Speaker 3: It's more safe to do it.
Speaker 5: But because at the end of the day, all the all the greenhouses were always always bursted. They could do one club maybe second group was alround. Because hold On is a small country and there is no countryside at all. The greenhouses are always close to a village, close to a town with a lot of people around all a lot of people living once mind.
Speaker 2: Half the country. It seems like you reclaimed from the sea, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh So.
Speaker 2: Besides Hayes and skunk, what else did you get from Sam?
Speaker 3: Uh? You know? We we did not get anything else. Neville he get he got like early.
Speaker 2: Pearl, early Pearl from rob b.
Speaker 3: Yeah, early Pearl and a few other ones.
Speaker 5: But also we were not we were not too much in touch with Neville because the Neville's approach was different.
Speaker 3: Than our approach.
Speaker 5: We were underground people and we were not really too fun to to receive a lot of people we don't know in our house. And then and in those days and Devel had the the Canabis Castle, and everybody more or less was welcome over that, and especially when you came with a lot of money to buy seats.
Speaker 3: Everybody was welcome.
Speaker 5: And we were always more like, let's let's try to keep it underground, and let's let's try to do it and in a more more or less safe way, because we were we didn't want to get cold, and we wanted to the one in this business for forever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: And Neville was more of that devil than he was like I don't know who came to his house anymore. I I really don't know.
Speaker 2: If he knew.
Speaker 5: I think so, yeah, because a lot of Americans in those days, they came to them, to them, and everybody was welcome.
Speaker 3: Never space we were more careful.
Speaker 2: To Besides am where were some other sources. And then the previous conversation you had with Matt, you told that a lot of stuff you got you were getting off seeds from buds out of coffee shops. Were there any other people or sources once you started making Super Sativa Seed Club? Were people coming to find you? And trace.
Speaker 3: They were? They were coming to but they couldn't find this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: The only the only one who who could find this was uh and George Vantis and and the the chief and that five times.
Speaker 2: Steve step of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 5: Those were the only three people who told us this because we were really like we knew what we were, We understood what we were doing, you know.
Speaker 2: So then that that leads me to another question. In your catalog, you have something called Oakland, Indica. Yeah, and I'm just curious as to where that where you got that or where it came from.
Speaker 3: You know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know it because a few times because we had a lot of clients, of course, and we received a lot of letters in those days, and a few times people sent us seats, but not only a few times. And I think because Oakland, that it was somebody from Oakland, because in those days we got like a hundred letters every day, you know, and it was really fun.
Speaker 3: For us to read all those letters. And also we.
Speaker 5: We asked people to help us to to distribute the seats in the US, and we were just reading the letters and we thought, oh, this guy is a nice guy because he understands how it works.
Speaker 3: And so there was a really.
Speaker 5: Nice job for me to read all these letters and to answer them as well, because maybe even nowadays, you still get letters from people from from all days and they said a nice to see.
Speaker 3: You back, and do you remember that? We WoT isn't that from you? Of course, that's really really funny.
Speaker 5: And when we started again a few years ago, we got a letter from somebody and he says, now, yeah, nowadays mother nature is legal in the US.
Speaker 3: And that we really thought.
Speaker 5: A guy who writes a letter and says modern nature is legal.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, it used.
Speaker 5: To be illegal, but now we are happy that it's legal, and that those were the letters that we really liked, the people who understood.
Speaker 3: How crazy it is to make mother nature illegal.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you got about the Durban high flyer, Now that was one of your most famous lines. Uh, we still see it around the day. Do you have any memories surrounding it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's this was a very satifa, pure satifa, of course. And also because of Durban is so in the south of the world that is almost in the same latitude then Holland.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 5: But then so the flowering times they are more or less the same than our flowering time because we our our harvest. Our autumn starts in September. Yeah, and then also the the winter, the harvest that's getting coold. So we were lucky to have the urban flowering so early.
Speaker 2: The Durban was a very was the is the one sativa that's sort of an early finisher. Yeah, so it worked well in Holland.
Speaker 3: Yes, and and and and and the combination with.
Speaker 5: A bit of tie because the tie is a very very late flowering.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then then it's finished show like half October or something.
Speaker 5: And that's nice for us, of course because in October sometimes when you're lucky, the weather is still good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But but o our main customers in the US, where were the people from California, The viet veterans, people that back from Vietnam. They started to do the really farming, and they really they made money with it as well.
Speaker 3: So they did. Did they send us a nice amount of money? Yeah? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean from our perspective, you know, back then, especially Indicas and things like that were pretty rare. And even though California and America there was there was you know, there was a lot of things going on. People didn't know each other. So really, like one of the most interesting things about what happened with you guys for us is that, you know, like you are saying before, a bunch of stuff flowed from America over the amps over to Holland. Yeah, and went everywhere in America. It went to the South, that went to the North, New York, it went to.
Speaker 3: The and that was our goal. That was our goal.
Speaker 5: That's why we did this because we thought in those days, yeah, there's no internet, so your your your friends lived close to you in the same town, so you can swap sweets with your friends, but it doesn't spread the whole country, you know. And then since we were starting, we got letters from everywhere Alaska, Texas, whatever. And then so we thought, when all the refrigerators in the States are filled with seats, it's a difficult thing to stop it.
Speaker 3: And there's this movement.
Speaker 2: What about the what about your what about the creeper or the kyber Pass.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the the creeper, the creeper, we called it the creeper because it was really the plant was not upright, but it was laying down more or less.
Speaker 2: Oh that's why I always assumed it was the high, but it was.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, it was not. It was not about the high.
Speaker 5: It was really about the more logic aspects of the of the of the plant. Because normally a plant is like more or less like a Christmas treet, but this one was like bending over and laying down, you know. And I still like this kind of plant plants because they gave you a big harvest, yea room for buds, you know, and h and then the the ki that was becrossed with in Afghani. I think because of Afghani and all that will be the Hush from Afghanistan was really very popular. And I don't know where because she's from that.
Speaker 2: You guys ever grow flowers for coffee shops or did you just focus on seeds?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, yeah yeah yeah because we did. We were growing for the coffee shops as well. Yeah yeah, because they liked our indoor wheat because it was quite. It was new, and in those days, we we were worrying a little bit about the fact that our wheat was green because people they were used to to buy marijuana was always brown, so half rotten wheat as we call it now, and our indoor marijuana was green. So we thought, oh, nobody's going to buy this because they don't because green. The only green marijuana we knew was that it was the native wheat and that was the wheat that we grew in our backyard and they didn't have birds. It was only leaves and it was green. So we were afraid that people thought our wheat was neither beat.
Speaker 3: So we tried to make it.
Speaker 5: We tried to make it brown to to to be able to to to sell it. But after a few and I don't know, maybe after a year, everybody, no, no, no, the green ones is the best one is much better than than the brown.
Speaker 3: Man no mind, don't worry about the color. Will we buy it anyway?
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was really that was a really funny thing that he really peop were really worried about the green corp.
Speaker 2: It really worried because it was so because The part about that is that everything was so new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what knew. It was new.
Speaker 5: And the first since the milion that I saw in Holland that was somebody. And then one year we have we were lucky enough to have a good September in Holland. Normally it's raining in September already, but in.
Speaker 3: This September there was a lot of sun.
Speaker 5: So in the coffee shop where I worked, somebody came with a garbage bag full of big birds and they were not primmed at all, and I thought, where does this come from? Because we really didn't. It was the first time we saw a green tig bud plant. But this was also I think a durban poison or something that he was lucky to grow some urban poison seeds in a year that we had a very good, nice September, so the plant was to finish, and that was really the first time that I saw sin Sinzemdjia.
Speaker 3: That's because of that, it's been.
Speaker 2: You got into weed was by working in a coffee shop.
Speaker 5: Yes, I worked in a coffee shop when I was like eighteen years and nineteen years old, and then one of the our customers came to me and he said, I I am I. I'm a reader of High Times magazine, and I saw how they grew, how they grow plants already because at Rosendhal was one of the first to start all days, I think in the US. And this guy said, I bought a metal headlines lamp because we have a big horticulture center here in all of and in those days, the greenhouse grower they they used it to grow the metal airlines. And he went there to buy a lamp and he said, I want to grow and I want to start to use it. And I thought, I live in the spot house and let's do it. So that's how it started. Because this guy, he didn't he was a reader of High Times magazine. Saved in High Times, so we knew.
Speaker 2: So most of most of Super Sativa Seed Club's work was all done indoors, whether you were growing buds for coffee shops or whether you were making seed for.
Speaker 3: Your Yes, yeah we did.
Speaker 2: We did everything, kept it inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was all because of Yeah we did. It was too cold.
Speaker 5: It's too cold, and you know, and in a greenhouse it's the holand is too crowded to grow in a greenhouse, and it's no.
Speaker 3: Everybody got caught always in the greenhouse.
Speaker 2: And were growing is did you have garages? Were you growing in bedrooms?
Speaker 3: We had garages and we bought it.
Speaker 5: At one point we bought a house, especially with the lud and the no no, and I know those we were scuoters. You know what sculters are. Yes, And if you are a scoter, you always have a house.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you you squatted in the house and then you set up some lights, and you set up some rooms to do breeding and grow weed, and you sold the weed to the coffee shops and you sold seeds catalog.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And we were squat but we earned a lot of money.
Speaker 2: That's very cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you we're not in it for the money man, because it was nice to have money to do that. A lot of money came to us, of course, but it was not really the hour and the.
Speaker 3: Basic thing.
Speaker 2: The funny thing for us is that now you know, there's so many seed companies in America and there's a lot of seed company in Europe and everything like that. But when when you guys started and when Neville started, there was really only you two. Yeah, that was easy, Like you said, if you went to positronics. If you went to Holland and went directly to certain coffee shops, maybe you could get some seed in order to order things. There was only two Yeah really, so that your your company's stuff and Nevill's company stuff got spread so far and wide.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. But but when NETL stopped, Sense she took over, took over, and they bought basically that's how Sense started.
Speaker 5: They bought NETLL stopped and then they started in the name Sensy Seats and Ben Drunk the one that's the guy who started. Is this is really a big, big thanks to Ben because he was really the guy with the biggest balls.
Speaker 3: You know, he went on very where we started, where we stopped.
Speaker 2: So do you think that did Neville sell his company to Ben and Allen because of the trouble he got in?
Speaker 3: I think so? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you were in the community back then? Were you ever we like, was it a small enough community that you were close to a lot of these people?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yet, But the thing is I said before, we were not really we were.
Speaker 5: We had our own group of people, and we were not we we didn't live in Amsterdam, you know.
Speaker 2: So so you didn't live in Amsterdam, you lived in different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we lived in the Hague. That's good, that's close to Amsterdam.
Speaker 3: But so we.
Speaker 5: We we we we tryed to be to be honest, we tried to stay out of all those groups.
Speaker 2: Tried to keep your head and stay quiet.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yes, that's right the idea really and we were not like behaving like work stores or something. We were just we were just quoted running a cannabisy business.
Speaker 2: So how did how did how did like Jorge Servantes and Ed Rosenthal, how did they find you? Did they you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, they centered the letter? Yeah they right, because in those days you wrote letters to people.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, you put.
Speaker 3: You put the stamp on the envelope and you put it in the mailbox.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's a good idea that we go back to this kind of communication then.
Speaker 3: Because nobody can listen to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah did they did they? Did they bring seeds to or did they want to just come.
Speaker 3: Out and did No?
Speaker 5: But I have a nice anecdote about George Savantis because he came to visit us and he asked us to to show around, to show to show him the Dutch greenhouse because in those days, the Dutch greenhouse today they were growing under a metal on the HPS lights that we had greenhouses with ten thousand HPS lights in it. And he never he didn't ever see this, and so we gave him a tour and he came up. He showed up in the door with a nice T shirt Kanabis Usa, California.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, that's not how it goes. You have to put.
Speaker 5: Put on some different teachers, man, because we've done to the show you around in the greenhouse of riding.
Speaker 3: This T shirt and said, oh, why that is legal in Holand, isn't it. No, no, no, it's not legal at all. Everybody thinks it legal, but it's it's not legal.
Speaker 5: So we had to teach a little bit how to behave in Holland.
Speaker 2: We had the same We have the same issue in California where I live. When medical first happened twenty years ago, a lot of people thought it was legal, but it really legal. It was. It was kind of like Holland, it was permitted. You still get in trouble anytime.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of people from California and they still they always tell me it's still illegal, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's still illegal. It was still whether or not. The cop wanted to be nice to you. They could you any which way they wanted. And it was kind of the same about Holland I'm sure too. It all depended on the attitude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And that's that's why maybe try to keep a little bit under granted because of TB wanted to go out and then I wanted to I'm I'm having a family and everything, and that's really.
Speaker 3: I'm not that type of guy who wants to be in the pictures me either.
Speaker 2: I feel you on that. So after you started breeding at Supersit TV Seed Club for a while and you realize that you got popular, did you start keeping a lot of breeding males and breeding females Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, basically like a nice collection of males and females. And in those days, we did not do the feminized breeding that didn't exist yet, so it was not so very difficult to breeding that we did.
Speaker 3: So we we sometimes did a little bit in breeding and uh, but not too much.
Speaker 5: It was more we we we basically did pheno hunting and the best ones we liked we crossed with each other and and everybody.
Speaker 3: Was happy ready to see it.
Speaker 5: Because for for a lot of people our customers was it's either nothing or or something from Amsterdam that really gives one nice flowers, nice nice boots. And then the people sent us photos and sent us letters and they were really uh yeah, the photos.
Speaker 3: They they were really.
Speaker 5: Nice photos and everybody was happy.
Speaker 3: It was really nice.
Speaker 2: How many how many people were involved in your in your company?
Speaker 5: Yeah we have We were two people too, did and like four or five people helping us, like a little collective.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: At the biggest part of it, how many houses did you have or how many how many different places were you grown, like five.
Speaker 3: Six different places to grow.
Speaker 5: But we did not do that because in those days there were also people who are really five years or so.
Speaker 3: A lot of people that came into.
Speaker 5: The they rented big warehouses and put two hundred lamps in it.
Speaker 3: But we we.
Speaker 5: Did it on a smaller scale because we're all we were not growing that much weed were more growing seeds in those days.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a there's a lot of you know, you could call them American seed companies these days that exist just like that. It's some basement, it's a few bedroom house.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I can yeah, because I see a lot of people they they have some ploans and they make russes and and a new sheet company is born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your skunk has yeah really old?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How long does it flower?
Speaker 3: For twelve weeks?
Speaker 5: And then the better do one week of thirteen weeks to thirteen is well?
Speaker 2: And how did it? I mean thirty five years old? I'm always fascinated by how things survive because for us in America, it seems like every five or ten years, Uh, the weed, the seed game reinvents itself and you can't get what you used to be able to get. So did it did it? Was it just so such a nice cut and there's such a nice plant that various people saved it and passed it around.
Speaker 5: Is it something that has been always in like two or three places? And like you said, it was more like a group of people you work with.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's still.
Speaker 5: Around and and and we all we will let them.
Speaker 3: We have our mother plant.
Speaker 5: When it's like three or four months old, we take a new cut, we throw away the old plant, and we start from a bit a little clone again. And a few friends of me, of my they have it. And then yeah, because you can you can imagine in thirty five years there are lots of things happening. Really we are proud of We are proud of it to still have it, and we are now working on trying to to to breed it. We are working with a few American varieties because we like from those days. We like the big firm but with a lot of resin, but sometimes it lacks a little bit of flavor, a little bit of taste and smell.
Speaker 3: And now we are trying to put the smell.
Speaker 5: Of the girls to hate and the high preferable as well, and the taste into a new and into the American right.
Speaker 3: And that takes a while, but.
Speaker 5: It's really interesting to see a plant that grows like a cookie or something mm hmmm, American.
Speaker 3: Style and then with the old school hate, taste and smelling. That's that's the thing that we are working on. And maybe people some people tell, ay, why do you do this?
Speaker 5: You try to keep it like it is, But I want to because at the end of the day, a lot of people are on commercial these days, and it's nice to have a big held of course, but also the fluffy but is nowadays considered like the equality. A lot of people don't understand that at the end of the day correctly, but you put it in a paper and you smoke it, so it doesn't it isn't really a big deal.
Speaker 3: How the bit lose.
Speaker 2: I agree, the big deal and how it.
Speaker 3: Works, but you agree, and I agree. But a lot of people the I also want you know, yes.
Speaker 2: I mean, and the way that that social media works now a lot of times the only things that people see of different buds or pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: Might look very ugly, even though it might work wonderfully and make you very happy and it might take great you can't tell that through the picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because because now if I if you have five, like five different varieties, four of them are American things, and one of them is.
Speaker 3: Va thing, and everybody says the Sativa things.
Speaker 5: We don't we want to we don't want to have it because it looks flints for us range.
Speaker 3: And especially because I'm sick to.
Speaker 5: Three early years old already so long and normally I think it's normal that the younger people like all the things, but we also want to show things from the past.
Speaker 2: I mean it, I mean, for instance, you know, it's really interesting because for us, skunk one, you know, to bring it back again is very very very different from what you experienced. I don't think I experienced Skunk one like you remember it time that we got a hold of it. What you remember was gone. Yeah, and that happens a lot where if you don't have old things, or people aren't saving old cuttings, or you can't get old seeds to sprout, then the way will remember something. It's just gone. How long ago you get excited again about maybe you could restart Super Sativa Seed Club in a new form.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we already started it, but we don't sell in the US anymore, because those are the wile days.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Nowadays it's uh, it's not a good idea to sell something in the US from homes.
Speaker 2: No, not yet. It could change. We're slowly in that direction, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Have you ever heard of Ditch Passion, Yes, yeah, because we were together with Ditch Passion the digital friends, and they are there is really a very successful seat company, but they don't sell one seat in the US. And if you know that half of the visitors of the website comes from the US. Yeah, uh, we don't sell one seat today, you know it. Hopefully that will change in the next or so years. It looks like America. We're complicated in the US men that those federals and uh it's really not a good idea.
Speaker 3: And but maybe one.
Speaker 5: Day things change and then we can because because it's of course greaty that half of the visitors of a website it comes.
Speaker 3: From the US, comes from the US. Yeah, they want the vices, but we don't do it.
Speaker 2: Understand when uh so is is? Uh so? Basically you're making stuff for the Holland market.
Speaker 3: Now you're you're in market for European.
Speaker 2: You were talking in the in the previous interview you did with Matt you were talking about how you sort of like recollected some other hazes besides yeah.
Speaker 3: Because now I'm in a good position of course too.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of people, and I know all the hate hats from Europe.
Speaker 2: You know, No, I mean you're certainly of that generation that you know, we've known these people for decades.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and and and and then we are happy that a lot that the Hayes people always are the people who really understand how important it is to to save things. And there's still a lot of stuff around, you know, because we have like I have five different loans still and then other people. We we have the old school hates. We have the annal five times haes and they have the hate C and the hate A.
Speaker 3: And it's not the boy as everybody thinks.
Speaker 5: But because we have the girls and we have the outback hage, that's the last thing never made.
Speaker 2: So he's has the famous boy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, The thing is there is a lot of confusion going on always about the hases, boys and girls. But what we have is the haes A and A C and it's votabiles and it's really yeah. And and of course you have the A five and C five. I personally don't have it, but my friends have it. Then it's really but when we want to use it to make a cross or something, we can have it. But it's a group of people and everybody knows each other. It's from the South.
Speaker 2: But when you when you're talking about the girls that are A and C, you're not talking about A five or C five. You're talking about different there's different plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and it's really the especially the ace, the one I.
Speaker 3: Like best is the outbreack, the outback here, Yeah, because the.
Speaker 5: Outback hege is really the incense smell and it has the incense smell and it's it makes you high, totally high. It's really when you smoke it. Then then you think hm hmm, under stone at all? And a half an hour later you think where was I?
Speaker 3: I didn't know anything, but there was.
Speaker 2: That's a female you got from friends? Or is that a female seed we.
Speaker 3: We got we've got to uh yeah, yeah, I don't think you know them.
Speaker 5: She's called Miska mis Miska is a famous activist here in Europe.
Speaker 3: She's from France. It's a it's a it's a.
Speaker 5: It's an older lady and she's really an activist and she was the best friend of A Nevill and Neville gave this to her and since she passed away, she passed away. Yeah, she gives it to us also because he's old. He's quite old already. And then she it's like, what's send it? You gave it to somebody who knows who who can handle it, you know, who knows who knows how to to save it.
Speaker 2: Are you planning on doing some breeding with somebody doing breathing?
Speaker 5: Because we are now doing breeding, but that's feminized breeding because when you have two girls, there's no man there's no male, so you need you need to do feminize breeding and we have now we have two and still yeah, I think it's going to be a successful project because we we we When you're breeding, you have to stablish a few goals.
Speaker 3: Girls already not too much, but our goals are always the high, the smell, and the taste.
Speaker 2: Those are my top three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nice when there is a lot of resin to be seen, but we don't go for a flowering time or something.
Speaker 3: No, no, because.
Speaker 5: Now we also can do someone breeding and legal situations, so then we don't have to worry about flowering time. Right because a lot of people DNA genetics you know them of course, yes, bybe they are also friends of us, and they said, yeah, it's nice what you're doing, but it's going to be a problem to sell those seats because in those nowadays, people don't want to spend twelve or twelve weeks thirty weeks waiting for their office anymore.
Speaker 2: It's changing, I.
Speaker 5: Think, I hope so, because when you're growing legal like you guys can do this there, why why should you bother about the flowering time?
Speaker 2: Yes? No, For a long time they were right, people didn't want things that went longer than eight to ten weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they have to run there.
Speaker 5: It's a bit of police and bit the police on their heels and to make sure that it comes in fast.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of people now that are willing to do twelve, thirteen, even fourteen week strains if they're nice enough. People are getting excited about it.
Speaker 5: And also regarding Waight, the extra three weeks will give you forty percent extra weight, right. The best, but the best yielding varieties are the steep varieties. I mean, they all laugh a little bit about there's something making a little bit different about the new American strange.
Speaker 3: You like that. But they don't yield.
Speaker 2: No, No, there's a lot of them that don't yield. That's very true, of course. Yeah, so they don't, you know they so your your skunk haze. The haze in it is from one of the ten seeds that Neviles that Sam.
Speaker 5: There is nothing closer to the real haze than the screen caze that I have.
Speaker 2: Because most people, it seems like most people in Holland ended up using a lot of Nevill's hybrids of haze, and those would be a lot of the one the cuts that got saved. Yes, but as a result of that that that means that most haze is only from one or two plants. Yes, So you third, you have you have Hayes that's not even his, which is pretty exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the difference between our Hayes and Nevil's hases. Neville Nevill did all the his crosses with northern lights, and we did it at Skirn Gramer one m HM and northern lights that you can also see in like A five and C five and all those. It's all Hayes with northern light in it. And northern light is not really a plant with a nice taste. It's like a metallic a metallic taste, and it's.
Speaker 3: Really not.
Speaker 5: There are not the turps in the and the and and the crosses that never made are not so nice then the turps in the in the skring cases because the screen was really turpan.
Speaker 2: So we were ready that our line, our.
Speaker 5: Line is with Skirn gnumber one and Nevil's lines are with it with the northern northern.
Speaker 3: Lights and northern lights came from the US.
Speaker 2: Are there are there coffee shops and stuff like that where people can still get your skunk case on any kind of basis.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: It's still available, like if people were to go to you can find it.
Speaker 5: Lucky, only a few people grow it because it's complicated to grow, really need to have your climate under control. And in an illegal situation, it's not so very easy because then you need to work with airco units, you know, because the skunk case, when the temperature rises above twenty eight the celsius, then they start to ruin the boots and that means then it cuts were very fluffy, and sometimes you get like ten branches and then you start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when this happens after eight weeks of flowering again, twelve weeks of flowering starts and then we're talking about antibiques and that's too much. And that's what.
Speaker 5: You really you really know, it's really a very difficult plan to grow. If you have too much nutrients, they start to right and to start to.
Speaker 3: Do crazy things.
Speaker 2: You do it the right way. It takes twelve or thirteen weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then the right is not one hour above twenty eight degree celsis, not one day when you have one day when your ARCO breaks down or something, it's gone.
Speaker 2: It's gone. So you what excites you about you your new your new venture with super Stativa Seed Club. Are you working, are you working with your son? Are you working with.
Speaker 3: I a little bit my son? Yeah, I have those and and and also.
Speaker 5: We are we are we are very close to get the permits to growing holand legal. Yeah, because now the the Ditch government issued ten permits to grow legal for the coffee shoption on and we were lucky enough to win the lottery.
Speaker 3: It was a lottery.
Speaker 5: Hundred and fifty people applied for the license and only forty went through the first round. Because you need to be able to grow a lot of wheat, you need to have money, you need to have the skills to do it, you need to have the conferents in the coffee shop.
Speaker 3: And we all have this.
Speaker 5: And then basically there were forty people left and then they made a lottery and we were lucky enough to win one of the ten pyramids.
Speaker 2: So when you win it, does that mean that at some point in the future, like Matt and I could fly to Holland and we could buy Superstitiva seed Club weed at coffee. Yes, and it would be branded and we know it was from you, and you threw it legal foracility, and then you'd sell it to like Damn Kring or somebody like that.
Speaker 3: That's the idea. Yes, that's the idea.
Speaker 2: That's very exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the idea.
Speaker 5: It will take because now it's a government basement, so it takes a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: You can imagine.
Speaker 5: You're waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting one the one. Then a few weeks and a month we will get the permit.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: It's very funny we do it in a peaceful way because.
Speaker 2: That's that's it's a lifetime of waiting for that. Huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because for me especially, it's very nice because then the stiricle is round, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: California is the same way. It's just become legal. But a lot of money, a lot of rules, a lot of regulations, a lot of government involved, a lot of permits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we were.
Speaker 5: Lucky enough to have the example of Canada and the US to tell our government.
Speaker 3: If you want to make this.
Speaker 5: A success, they don't make the same mistakes as they did in Canada. So because in Canada, people from the black market it can't be involved in this. But here in Holland, we told the government without people from the black market, this is not going to be successful. No, the people from the black market, they know how to do it. And basically where there's the government can get information from, they can't. You can't read the information about these kind of things in the paper, So you need to talk with people from the black market. We basically help the government to make this happen.
Speaker 2: You did you work to suf government.
Speaker 5: Is wise enough to understand that they don't can do this without the black market.
Speaker 2: So then when if they make get legal, will you mostly be going in greenhouses like traditional.
Speaker 3: You'll do a cumbination of greenhouse and.
Speaker 2: Indoor growing an indoor growing.
Speaker 3: Again, it gave you it would be one hundred percent again again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you call it bio over there.
Speaker 3: Now, that's bio here. Yeah, it's calling by bio.
Speaker 5: Yeah so yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean, if if if you want to wrap it up here that that that's wonderful. I thank you so much for your time. It was wonderful to hear these stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's keeping.
Speaker 1: You're an amazing interview man.
Speaker 2: You know your ship.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: That concludes NASA's part of the interview.
Speaker 4: So right now, we're going to go over some of the highlights of the interview, things that we picked out and thought were very, very unique and otherwise important to highlight.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about some things.
Speaker 2: Well, probably in no particular order, but one of the really interesting parts for me was hearing him talk about the imported weed from South America, from South Africa and Durban and that you know, you and I have talked a bunch in the past about how we thought most of the Durban in Amsterdam came from what Mel Frank gave to Sam Skunkman.
Speaker 1: Sure we thought that's what proliferated most of what was being used.
Speaker 2: By right and so while certainly that that was proliferated over there and plenty of people sold it and bred with it, Sure now we find out that there was literally a durbin poison coffee shop. Then Correll and others were getting bag seeds from seated cannabis from Durban and using in their own work. So significantly widens the gene pool of what we thought, and it also could lead to where you know, Mel talked extensively about how his Durban was much more Annis, much more licorice in flavor and he's not sure why the Dutch breddit in the way that they did, but with that tidbit of information, it's possible that his was Anis and so there's an Anis side to Durbin. But then there's also a more terpenoline leaning Durbin that came from South Africa and was found in seeded weed. Yeah, and that could account for the vast differences between those two Durbin families. Yeah, because it's all kind of gotten the same classification. But as we know, just because it's from the same region doesn't mean it's no not whatsoever. So that was that was pretty amazing information because we've us and others have assumed for a long time, yeah, that most people were selling the same Durbin poison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was fascinating.
Speaker 4: One of the one of the points that I thought was really interesting, and it's something that's been kind of mythical ever since s SSC kind of you know, moved away from the scene. In that you know, there was a lot of rumors building up about why that happened. There were people coming out and saying I worked for SSSC and I was s SSC America or my uncle, you know, my uncle's bred certain lines for SSSC in Virginia or somewhere in America.
Speaker 1: I thought that was fascinating to hear that there were no.
Speaker 4: Americans involved in s s SC, because that's been a rumor that's built up and many a few at least companies have been started off that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, certainly there's more than more than one person has had claims of that level. So it was interesting to hear that while they did source stuff from America, like apparently, as we heard, Williams. Wonder came from New York, which is pretty cool. I had never heard that part before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had neither.
Speaker 2: And obviously he talked about all skunk coming from California and the Sam rob group you know, to them, but it does seem a little bit like Neville. They collected, they collected some things, and he it was pretty cool how he talked about people with straight write him letters. Yeah, that's how he met made most of his American connections was people like ed or whoever writing them letters and wanting to come see them.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine just being able to write in a letter being like, hey, I'd love to come visit, and all of a sudden Bam, you're there, You're at the king.
Speaker 2: Or people are sitting in seeds or buds. So America certainly contributed to what they had to offer, but apparently, I mean, he said, you know, all their breeding was done in five or six homes, basically, you know that type of thing. The other little tidbit that's not really like seed specific, but makes a lot of sense, was you know, when he talked about how easy it was to get busted in greenhouses because all of Holland is highly developed, and so a greenhouse is in a neighborhood. Yeah, living in Men, living in Mendocino County and anybody who lives in the western part of America, we're pretty spread out. Yeah, there's lots of remote rural areas. There's lots of places you can do things, you can buy property where you can get away with it. And it was pretty It was interesting when you think of a society that's so much older than ours and they've just populated every good part of the land. Yeah, and so there's really nowhere to hide. So for them in order to not get busted, it was I mean, he basically said it was like you were one and done. At most of those places.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite parts was when you were interviewing him and he was talking about maybe you can go over it a little bit more because you were doing the interview, but when he was talking about the green bud and not being able to sell green bud because it wasn't what they were used to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you see my face on the video, I think my eyes are probably as big as saucers. Because one of the things that's interesting in talking to like the you know what we've talked about is like the pioneer generation. Yeah, you know is you know, like Rob Clark and some of these guys that were writing the Bible for breeding, is just how new it all was. And so to think that in the mid eighties, as they first grew wed for themselves, that was the first time any of them had seen green bud. Yeah, because brown and gold or red or various kinds of cure or whatever that was the standard. There was no other comm have even known that it looked that way when it was fresh. Yeah. So they grow homegrown and it comes out the way homegrown does, and they're not even sure they're going to be able to sell it because no one's ever seen it.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they didn't even know if it would get them high when they first looked at it, if it was so different, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: So that just goes to speak to the level of pioneering that they were trying to have to figure all this stuff out. The other part, that's just a little tidbit, but I found like endlessly amusing, honestly, is that obviously an American weed culture, we can kind of trace a lot of strains back. But then there's like a nickname, you know, where NL five skunk one doesn't stay that way, it gets nicknamed something else, sure something maybe this NL five Hayes gets nicknamed dogs or electric Bugaloo or whatever. And so you know, we have this whole countercultural thing in America of relating our strains the various pop culture stuff that's current for us, right, And so to hear that whole story about Victor Barne and the way that and the way that they whose name it was, and this hustle and how they had to have a name to deposit all these millions obviously not knowing holland you know, culture like that. I never had any idea that that was related to anything like that, but it does tie in to the fact that we people have always had kind of a knack to pick funny, tongue in cheek kind of names for week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like choice, he said that was kind of like a fuck you to the Queen of Holland exactly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, so both those things, both those names. That tradition has continued throughout the decades. People are always coming up with clever plays on the culture that they're in. And so while you know, Holland weed culture and American weed culture is obviously quite different, it was pretty neat to hear that they should we share that sort of you know. And on top of that too, I'll just say, as a general sense, everything he said about his attitude towards weed and their approach towards things and all that, like, I pretty much agree with. I mean, it was obvious talking to him, his heart was in the right place. They were pretty countercultural people. They were trying to get away with it, they were trying to overgrow or change things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, my favorite part that endeared me to him was his lachhemism nature.
Speaker 2: You know, even for I mean, obviously there was a financial component for him, him and people doing what they were doing. But in a way it started a countercultural revolution. The reason why people are so interested in Super Sativa Seed Club is because so many legends exist of weed grown in Canada and America of those strains by people from them. So they played a pretty big role. Them and Neville are really the two groups that started spreading all this seed everywhere, and that that's pretty important because they laid the foundation for what came after. I mean, it's also it was also interesting because we've already you know, we always wondered but hearing how when they saw what happened to Neville and they saw green Merchant and they saw the international police pressure, that that's what made them decide to disband for a long time and not continue because they saw, you know, the price that a lot of these pioneers paid had to do this kind of stuff, you know, was was pretty intense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another thing I want to mention just before I forget, and that this might be really pertinent because it's kind of experiencing a resurgence. But you know when he was talking about his skunk Hayes, Oh yeah, yeah, So first of all, that's another piece of evidence that you know, there was at least three people that seemed to get Hayes from Sam skunk Man when he came over to Holland the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have all in our yes and correct correct.
Speaker 2: And and you know they all, you know, their stories all are all similar. It was interesting to hear that that maybe there wasn't even that many Hayes seeds given out, you know. Uh, maybe that leads to the fact that he didn't bring over that that many. Yeah, and it was kind of hesitant, you know, and only wanted to give out so many before he could make his own breeding and increase it again.
Speaker 4: But if we were able to talk to him about it, it would it would actually answer a lot of questions. So hopefully in the future he'd be into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one thing that I think for all the modern Hayes freaks out there, because with the A five and C five sneaking out and a lot of people breed Cuban black Haze and n L five Haze, I think is having quite a bit of a resurgence as piff for church or different things like that. Is how we talked about how the skunk cage that they've had for thirty five years. If you grew it under you know, in American terms, eighty two degrees, you know, if you grew it cold, it only took about twelve twelve and a half weeks to finish, and it formed nice buds. But let it creep above eighty two for even an hour or two, and you've got a running long stativa twenty plus week. They would add another eight weeks a couple months, and so they you know, it was really interesting to hear that because there's a lot of people playing with hazes right now. Sure, and if that holds true, I wonder if people ran rooms in the low to mid seventies and we're militant about keeping it that low. There's a lot of people that run CO two in their rooms. There's a lot of data out there where you might run your room in the load mid eighties to get VPD, know, or to get more use out of your CO two and try to rapid fire. Yeah, and that might be the exact bad approach for running some of these old hazes.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: So maybe if you know people are listening and interested and you have hazes, try running them in the load of mid seventies and see if they form a little different and see if they finish faster, because the difference between twelve and twenty weeks.
Speaker 3: Is a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's tremendous.
Speaker 2: That is tremendous, you know. So it's also interesting in that, you know, maybe we can eventually get to work on some of his stuff over here. But most people's haze stuff comes from the plants that Neville found, and so it was crazy to hear that the skunk haze that he has is a survivor from Hayes seed that he found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not haze or hay C.
Speaker 2: It's not haze or it's hay C. It's another haze that is now trapped in genetics that maybe could be used. And a lot of these issues with haze are inbreeding because there's only a parent or two. So when you only have a couple parents being used and mostly c A is still way more rare to even use third parent adds a lot more genetics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sure does. That's a good direction and potential.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty interesting. Maybe, you know he's been talking about during that interview they're starting up the company again and they've got some initial work coming out. So that made me quite a bit more excited about anything that uses that plant because the other thing too relative to that plant is I thought his talk about how different skunk one was in the mid eighties when it first arrived than what it became later on, and a lot of people have considered that skunk one has been this consistent thing we're used to citrus or grapes or you know, maybe some cheese or funk. Yeah, but he said it was kind of rank when it came over.
Speaker 4: So that that does I wonder if that holds true to to stuff that Sam Dave had said about breeding out skunk, breeding out the actual skunk skunky smells, I should.
Speaker 2: Say, I mean, there's not that many people we should talk to that were growing skunk in nineteen eighty five. But yeah, the other interesting part about that is that obviously that skunk has that he talked about contains that raw more raw skunk one. Yeah, it's in addition to a double another haze. The other side of it is this, you know, maybe before it was hard selected in that direction that we're also familiar with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it could be like closer to something like an Afghan haese that could be really ranked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I mean it was. It was interesting tidbit because you have so few people you can talk to about what was mid eighties skunk.
Speaker 1: One like, yeah, yeah, it's true. It's true.
Speaker 2: And he obviously bought it and bred it and sold it and it was a big part of his catalog and the years they were in operation. So hearing his opinion about how mid and late eighties skunk was vastly different than what came later was to me at least confirmation you know that that you know the state that things were in.
Speaker 1: I thought it was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty cool when I think we were talking about Friezeland Friesland, Indica, where he was very honest and said he wasn't really stoked with where he's seen Freezeland been taken now as it's been grown, in bred and FGM like, he wasn't really stoked with the current offering of Friezeland out there.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I understand from his perspective likestly. One thing that's certainly true is with Instagram and other forms going on these days, is that that's the way that a lot of people interact with a lot of cannaid. They never get to try so looks have become incredibly important. Yeah, you know. Uh, and you know, so you you go to the looks of some of those eighties and nineties strains pretty rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some of them a little rough.
Speaker 2: You know, it's pretty pretty rough. They might not be the most resonance, They might be kind of leafy, they might look kind of fugly. Yeah. Put that next to like, you know, some kind of very modern, very gorgeous looking plant. And by looks alone, it kind of looks like you're you know, you're drawn in squiggles or something.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like, sure, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but but it also reiterates that like you can't you can't look at effect with your eyes exactly. So it could be a super There's a lot of haze out there that's kind of ugly, but it works really good. I mean, there's a there's there's famous haze in New York that gets sold brown Yeah, and in modern times it's not very easy to sell brown weed.
Speaker 1: No, but that but that name. It also it tastes great and it works, that's true.
Speaker 2: So the smoke is great, you know the fact that it I mean, even so you know, uh, you know, we had this, we had this cut that. You know, my friend helped make that the chocolate diesel, right, yeah, and it and it was a combination of chocolate tie across to the ninety one and then cross the sourities. Yeah. It was crazy too, like he it was legitimate old like eighties chocolate tie smoll than types. Right, And eventually it got lost because it was super potent. It was like top super thie super cam. It knocked you on your ass, but it cured brown. Yeah, and people hated it for that look. That look even Keem four Kim four can sometimes cure to like a very light brownish. It still looks the resin and all that, and the butt itself looks amazing, but people don't like brown.
Speaker 1: The old clockwork Orange Mom was the same.
Speaker 4: We called it orange not because of the flavor, but it was more because of the actual color of the plant when it was done.
Speaker 1: You know, it was more of.
Speaker 4: A golden orange brown look to it. It was unique in that sense.
Speaker 2: But really, I mean, you know, you talked his interview is not that much different than what a lot of us have who have bred in various houses in various ways and tried to get away with it here and there. You know, and they were just grabbing the best stuff they could at the time. Some of them were straight strained, some of them were bag seeds that they found out a good weed and coffee shops. Yeah, is how a lot of breeding in America happened too later on as well, a bag seed has ruled the game for you know. And so it's cool that things are opening up and we can talk to people like that who have such a vastly different experience of starting. Then yah know, maybe we can get some more you know, if things open up a little bit more in America and over there, there could be some actual, like more closer collaborations. Yeah, because obviously there's been a lot of illicit flow back and forth between the Dutch and America and Canada. Yeah, but it would be neat to be able to one day to actually do it, Yeah, because we each have some pretty amazing things, and we have some different lines, and we have some things that segregated from each other over time. You know, you talk about him being able to go to Canada and there's there's some super sativa seed club stuff that still exists, sure, and they might be able to get it back.
Speaker 4: And then you know that brings me to another part though, was when I was talking to him, and this might have been actually a private conversation, but it was. It was talking to him about the people that have made whole companies off of selling illicit not not illicit, but like unreal reproductions of super Stativac Club, just to market on the name and move seeds fast. And when he was talking about resourcing genetics, that's going to be a problem, that is an actual issue now that so many people have made different Super Sativa Seed Club repros.
Speaker 1: And it's going to make sourcing a little harder for some of it.
Speaker 2: Well, we've talked about this on previous podcasts in the sense that it's really only the last maybe five or six years that there's been a massive resurgence and trying to find ancient and original beans. Yea, there was a big era where everybody wanted new, new yes, and the old stuff was most of the stories were pretty honest because nobody cared.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Now now that things have legalizes and things have opened up and lots of people have kind of the same things, there's been this massive explosion of I found these seeds in my old connections dresser, my grandma's freezer, this my that these have been faithfully reproduced, and not just SSSC, but every old legendary line you can think of. There's dates associated with them. Some of them are super early, too early, and it makes it, Yeah, it makes it really hard to sift through ye and find the real because there's there. As people get more excited about weed and people get more excited about the history and stuff, they're gonna they're gonna want just like we do. They're gonna want to try some old pure lines. Yeah. I would love to dig through everything from the seed bank and SSSC now, being my age and knowing what I know now, it would be amazing to dig through all that and so and so people pray it's you know, it's kind of like the roadkill skug thing, where there's a there's a market demand for certain things now and so there's a market demand for old So hopefully some of his old stuff legitimately did exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I know, I know a few reproductions are out there that are legitimate for some of them. But it just goes to say that it's cool that that people are getting so into researching cannabis to the point of really getting into provenance and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So it combats that because.
Speaker 4: If stuff like that doesn't sell, if these if these guys who are doing these reproductions that you're it's pretty obvious. Usually when these guys are working invious.
Speaker 2: It might be obvious to us, it might be less obvious to others, depending on you know, how how in tune your scam dar is or whatever. But that's true. I do think that for most people, you know, there's a lot of strains. I'll be frank, like, I went to a lot of Amsterdam trips. I bought a lot of seed. Most of it was not keepers. Yeah, I did find some cool stuff, certainly, others found some elites that have survived to this day off the same lines that I bought. Yeah, but even back then it was a total crapshoot and there was there was a lot to not be impressed by. So, you know, him looking and being honest and being like, oh, there it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it's not so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still if it is real. The cool part about it is is that opening up the gene pool and adding genes that have been lost over time and aren't being used. We have too much overuse too few lines in cannabis right now, So a lot of eighties and old things by themselves might not be all that great, but they could widen the gene pool and you never know what they might pop an out CROSSSS absolutely, you know, you know, we just you know CSI. Who knows where the ABC work will go. Yeah, that's still in its infancy as you start hybridizing it with things and adding those genes in and making polyhybrids with it. So to me, some of the most valid if anything from the eighties or early nineties survived, even if by itself it's not that great, it might have traits or things that you add into something really mbred you get something surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never know how terpenes will modify other terpenes with diolic expressions, you never know. And with new and novel expressions or maybe they weren't new in novel in the eighties, but they're back to being new and novel now and that we never know how that'll change and modify now.
Speaker 2: And you know, one of the things about breeding is you tend to get good results when you cross things that are very dissimilar to each other. And so taking something that hasn't been really worked with much since the eighties or early nineties, and isn't in a lot of this cush skittles, cookies, whatever blends of things. It might pop some new and cool things and that. So you know, all in all, I thought he was a wealth of information, absolutely super engaging and pleasant. He seemed like an older version of us, you know, he did. So that made it like really fun and relaxing to chat with him about everything. Sure, he seems willing to maybe do some more and so there's I'm sure there's a lot of history and experiences that he's seen that's right up our alley. So you know, no promises, but we'll see what comes of it. Yeah, And in closing it, I think I think we learned a lot. I think there was a lot of things that weren't very well publicly known that he clarified and so not only from a historical perspective, but for the current Uh, I think it was it was really it was really a good interview.
Speaker 3: H Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was really really stoked to be able to speak with him.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was it was one of those few times where it's someone that you've always wanted to interview and speak to, and they weren't a complete disappointment.
Speaker 1: It was absolutely an honors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. It was great. So I hope everybody enjoyed listening to it. You know, it's a little bit strange. It's two part uh and uh. We'll see how things go, but we hope to be able to bring you some more of some of the pioneers in cannabis and there view on things and how we got to where we are. So, you know, thanks and peace everyone.
Speaker 1: Thank you.